Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wichita AAU player impresses

College basketball recruiting notebook

Wichita Heights sensation Perry Ellis is no longer the only major-college recruit on Wichita’s Pray and Play Players AAU team.

Buddy Hield, a 6-foot-4 senior-to-be from Sunrise Christian High in Bel Aire, has excelled during the July evaluation period.

Rivals.com says the unranked combo guard, who is originally from the Bahamas, has recently received scholarship offers from Memphis, Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, Mississippi State, Wichita State, Texas A&M; and Utah.

Coaches from Kansas University, Baylor, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Oregon State and others have also been scouting the sweet-shooting player, who scored 27 points against the Virginia Assault on Sunday at the adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas.

“Hield drained long threes, hit on pull-ups and even slammed home a missed shot. Buddy Hield has made a splash in Las Vegas,” wrote Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.

Hield has a 3.8 grade-point average.

“You have to make it somewhere so you can be motivated — it’s about your mind and being driven,” Hield told cbssports.com. “I’ve thought about academic reputation with schools. I want to help my family eventually and be a pro, to earn a job.”

Hield plans to make up to five official campus visits this fall.

Smart on fire

Marcus Smart, a 6-4 senior combo guard from Marcus High in Flower Mound, Texas, scored 26 points off 8-of-12 shooting and 10-of-14 free throwing in Texas Assault’s win over the Las Vegas Prospects at the adidas Super 64.

Rivals.com’s No. 24-rated player’s performance came with coaches from Kansas, North Carolina, Texas, Texas A&M;, Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas Tech in the stands.

“I’m looking at education first,” Smart told Rivals.com. “Then I want to see how I get along with the players and the coaches and see how the system fits me. I’m sure if I get along well with the coach, then I’ll fit with the system.”

Turg at home in Maryland

Former KU point guard Mark Turgeon has settled in well at Maryland, where he has taken over for veteran coach Gary Williams.

“I was lucky enough to be at the University of Kansas for nine years (four as player, five as staff member for Larry Brown and Roy Williams),” Turgeon, 46, told the Washington Post, “and this is the closest thing, or equal, to the passion they feel at Kansas.”

Turgeon said he owes a great deal to North Carolina coach Williams.

“I was 23 going on about 17 or 18 because I was a spoiled player,” Turgeon told the Post. “Life was easy. Life was good. I was a Kansas basketball player. Adored. I hadn’t grown up yet. So I run my office today and treat people the way I want to be treated because of Roy Williams. I work hard because that’s the way I was born. But I also realize, because he taught me, how hard you have to work to be successful in this business.”

Comments

Mike Rotchurtz 10 years, 9 months ago

That's a lot of major college interest in an unranked guy. Must be something to him. We've gotta get Ellis. If this other guy wants to come along for the ride and if HCBS thinks he can help the team, then cool.

baldwinjhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

All of our Wichita Alumni need to go to Perry Ellis's games at Heights this year and hold banners up saying Please be a Jayhawk!!!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I certainly could be mistaken, but I believe that is a recruiting violation... ala NC State's John Wall Facebook page.

Something about fans not being allowed to influence a recruit.

brooksmd 10 years, 9 months ago

So when recruits show-up for late night the fans should sit on their hands, keep their mouths shut and ignore them for fear of violating NCAA rules?

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

That's clearly an entirely different situation, and I'm sure you know that and are just being argumentative. A recruit making a visit to the campus is doing so to hear reasons why he should commit. The NCAA designed it that way. Being proactively lobbied for at your high school is a totally different animal. Please don't create a straw man out of my post.

Again, I don't know that holding up a sign is a violation, but the John Wall Facebook page was. It's a fuzzy gray line. I suggest anyone wanting to do this to speak to the athletic department first to make sure you are within the NCAA rules.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

P.S. A coach is only allowed to talk to a recruit during a specific time. Outside of that he could easily ask an alumni to talk for him. This is why the NCAA puts restrictions in place like the John Wall Facebook page. They try to limit loop holes in the rules.

Plus, they are hoping to protect the kid from being overwhelmed and followed everywhere he goes. What's to stop an alumni from standing outside his house or putting signs in his yard?

Again, a sign in a gym may be ok, but there HAS to be a line somewhere....

texashawk10 10 years, 9 months ago

Going to high school games and holding up signs and doing chants to encourage a recruit are not violations as far as I know. Much more beyond that though is venturing into murky waters.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

You certainly could be right. As I said above, it would be beneficial for anyone willing to do this to consult with the athletic department's compliance section. The line in this area is not that clear.

I would hope that holding a sign wouldn't be a violation, but I could see where it could be. Obviously, wearing a KU T-Shirt wouldn't be, so there must be a line somewhere.

brooksmd 10 years, 9 months ago

Since I have never attended KU then would be okay for me to attend a high school game an carry a sign encouraging a recruit to go to KU? And yes I understand the stupidity of the NCAA. Guess I should turn myself in now since I used to work with the mother of Greg Monroe and always mentioned KU before he picked Georgetown.

FoCoCoHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Surely posting comments on a fabulous LJW site is well short of the line, but nonetheless getting close to murky waters.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

That sounds exactly right. The murkiness, of course, would then be when/if "organization" occurs. Just glad I am not an athletic compliance officer nor work for the NCAA, 'cause this would make me effing crazy....

Hammertoe 10 years, 9 months ago

Does KU play any other sports than Basketball?

AZHawk72 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm really happy for Mark Turgeon and hope he does well with his Maryland gig. I even hope we schedule a little home and away with the Terps. I'd like to think we've moved past the "can't say anything nice about Roy" period and appreciate his thoughts about OUR FORMER COACH WILLIAMS and what Turg gleaned from him, as it came from the heart.

Yet there remains a number who can't stand anything positive about the winningest coach we had for more than fifty years (until an even greater coach, Bill Self, graced our campus), but that can't be helped. And why we can't grasp that Dean Smith's call to pitch Roy had a definite "loaner clause" tied to it, what that might entail someday, and how that would leave us feeling "used"...

Well, this time there are no restraints placed upon our coach to recruit the East Coast. And while I'm a big fan of Roy boy and the gym rat Turg, Coach Self, recruit the hell out of the East, and beat them in their own backyards in every recruiting war you encounter. Now, that's what I call remembering our past while looking toward our future.

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm just hoping Turgeon can have as much success against coach K and Duke as Williams did.

It will also be nice to watch Maryland vs. UNC with two former KU staffers coaching the teams.

Nothing could be better than Duke finishing third in conference to the likes of Maryland and UNC.

AZHawk72 10 years, 9 months ago

AZHawk72 10 years, 9 months ago

KU_Alumn_2000 10 years, 9 months ago

AZHawk72 - there is a reason why Roy's departure and legacy leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth..

Three years prior to him bolting for Carolina...he said "ill never contemplate this decision ever again"....essentially telling Jayhawk nation that he was gonna be a Jayhawk until he retires.

When you lie...you cross the integrity line...and losing your integrity doesn't usually set well with people. Take a look at Perkins - we all know now that he had some integrity issues. What's his legacy like

KU fans and alumni don't just naturally want to dislike Roy...but if he would have been honest with people from the beginning...then people would accept his decision to leave more gracefully.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

He changed his mind, I wouldn't call it a lie or a loss of integrity. We've all changed our mind. Many of us have taken jobs and say this is it only to see something better come along.

Even if Roy hadn't made his never statement, people still would have felt jilted and disillusioned by the man.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 9 months ago

While disappointed that he left, I will never forget that Roy did a lot for KU Basketball . I personally can't hold any grudge against Roy or Dean (who coaxed him back to UNC).

hawksince51 10 years, 9 months ago

While Roy should never have made that statement, everyone has a right to change his mind. He had just failed again to win the big one at KU and knew the talent waiting for him at NC. He did about all he could at KU and I was happy to see him go because I did not think he could ever deliver an NC. Self has proven to be a better national recruiter and has delivered an NC.

Tan Hong Woon 10 years, 9 months ago

If not for the very bad season of UNC prior to coach Williams' departure, I do not think he would want to leave. He loves his alma mater, as much I love KU, my alma mater. I would do the same if I were in his shoe. It hurts when you see that your alma mater is in deep trouble and you are unable to help. I surely can sympathize his dilemma. Also, I am sure that coach Williams loves KU too. Remember that he was wearing a Jayhawk cap while watching the 2008 Final?

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 9 months ago

Are we to assume we will offer Heild? Strange to see an article about a guy who is unranked that we didn't offer. Sounds like we might but right now its just an FYI I guess.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

Right!

It's like reporting "...There's this guy who is unranked and who is pretty good and a lot of teams are considering him...", and leaving it at that! That probably describes about 1000 high school kids around the country. The article was blah, blah, blah, except for Perry Ellis's name being mentioned.

texashawk10 10 years, 9 months ago

Considering the scholarship situation right now, I doubt Hield is high on KU's list at this time. Although I'm sure he would be a fine addition to KU's roster, at this time KU just doesn't have the roster space to offer him at this time and still get the elite players they are targeting.

jhox 10 years, 9 months ago

I've forgiven Roy for most everything, but there is one thing I can't forgive. The week of the Final Four, his final year, he allowed the North Carolina job opening to become a distraction. He should have flat out lied to everyone, and said, "I have absolutely no interest in that job." Had he done that, I could have easily forgiven him. After the Final Four he could have said, yes, I lied, but I did it to protect my team. I didn't want it to become a distraction."

Instead, he let it become a distraction, by not making a strong enough comment. I still believe we would have won the national championship, had it not been for the North Carolina job disctraction. It definitely affected the play of a couple of our under classmen. All week it was NIck this, Kirk that...he never mentioned the under classmen. He was clearly distancing himself from them, and I have a feeling they could sense that from his comments. I could certainly sense what was taking place.

I also blame Dean Smith. The wheels on Roy's move were turning well before most people knew about it. I've heard that as early as February of that year discussions were already taking place.

All of that being said, Roy did great things for KU. He came in with the team under probation, and brought back the consistency that the program hadn't seen in many years. For that, we all owe him a great debt.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

All of the mentioned distractions and we managed to be leading Marquette by 40 in the 2nd half of a final 4 game?

All of the mentioned distractions caused us to miss 18 of 32 free throws? The FT's are the biggest reason we lost that game.

In my world lying is wrong and even in the scenario you envisioned he would be marked as a blatant liar if he had done that.

That being said, it's worked out quite well for us!

Eric Bernauer 10 years, 9 months ago

Lie? Because the situation changed? You've got to be kidding. I wonder if you hold yourself to the same standard where changing your mind is the same as a blatant lie?

Jabez Harlan 10 years, 9 months ago

Roy Williams is and will always be one of the greatest coaches to ever coach at KU, bar none.

Hammertoe 10 years, 9 months ago

talk about living in the past. 98% of the people in the world would rather live in NC than Kansas. Ever been to N.C. ? No comparison.....

Tan Hong Woon 10 years, 9 months ago

Is lying a way to get out of a situation? What if in the end of the day, KU still lost that Final?

Larry Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

Hield is the real deal. I watched this kid play several times this summer. He has range, is very,very quick and has some serious hops. The step back three he has is ungaurdable. He is unranked because he is just getting on the scene. I am sure after the next evaluation period, you will see his name on a lot of lists.

James Miller 10 years, 9 months ago

I hate to admit this, but there was a North Carolina connection that helped our program rise back to national prominence. After all, the great Larry Brown was a Carolina guy, and Dean Smith recommended Roy to be Brown's replacement. I desise Carolina like everyone else, but we had to know that connection would bite us in the butt one day. Plus, that connection helped us rise, but it was starting to hold us back, because as well noted, Coach Williams was not recruiting as strong as he could. The bottom line is that we now have the best coach in the country, and we no longer have all of these Carolina strings holding us back.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Never "admit" anything you hate to admit. Just acknowledge it in passing. :-)

Regarding Baja KU.

We are grateful that KU grad Dean sent us Larry and Roy and Matt Dougherty.

Is Baja KU grateful that KU sent them Dean?

Is Baja KU grateful that KU sent them Matt, after we trained him on the job and got him his head job at Notre Dame to warm him up for Baja KU? They should be. It was Matt's team that Roy won his first ring with.

Is Baja KU grateful that KU sent them Roy, after we trained him on the job?

Is Baja KU grateful that KU them virtually Baja KU's entire staff? They should be. That is the second best staff in America, after Self's current staff.

Every way you slice it, we have done more for Baja KU than they have done for us.

Count up the wins and rings of the KU trained guys at Baja KU. Deans wins at Baja KU, plus Matt's wins there, plus Roys wins there, since returning dwarf what Larry and Roy won at KU. Period.

Count up the wins and rings of the Baja KU trained guys at KU. Dean's and Roy's rings won at Baja KU are way more than LB's one ring at KU.

KU has done waaaay more for Baja KU than Baja KU has done for KU.

Bottom line: KU without Roy and LB would still have a substantial tradition. Baja KU with Dean's and Roy's contributions would hardly matter at all as a basketball school.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

"Turg Gets a Silver Lining At Last: Now If He Can Just Avoid the Black Cloud:"

Turg comes to the ACC with his head handed to him by Bill Self.

Turg could not figure out how to beat Bill Self. He could not do it with slightly lesser talent. He could not do it with significantly lesser talent.

Unlike Billy Clyde before him, Turg just could not recruit big time at TAM. He rod Billy Clyde's horse. At TAM, Turg could never recruit better talent, or even equal talent, to what Bill Self hauled in at KU.

So: Turg pulled a geographic. He swapped College Station for College Park. He left Tumbleweed Texas for Soft Shell Maryland.

But Turg will now start out in a similar boat on the Chesapeake Bay, as he rowed on Gibbons Creek Reservoir.

His boat will have less talent.

Worse, Turg will face not one but two power coaches in the ACC: Roy and Coach Consonants. In the B12, he only had to deal with 1 and a half. Self was one, and Barnes was a half.

In the ACC, Turg will start with lesser talent. He will not beat either power coach with lesser talent. They are too old and wise and wily and loaded with talent for him to outsmart them with his clever brand of Larry Ball.

Turg's good news is that he probably now has enough experience, after getting schooled by Self, to split with Roy and Coach Consonants, when he gets some equal talent, and he can do that at Maryland.

The better news is that at Maryland, if the Kansas Kid can wire himself into Mid Atlantic Speak, he can eventually get all the talent he wants and then some.

Put bluntly, Turg can finally walk into an arena against a power coach with more'n, or the same'n, rather than always less'n than the power coach.

But there is sometimes a dark cloud wrapped around such silver linings.

The charcoal cumulus threatening Turg's bay boat is comprised of AAU Pimp rain drops and Shoe Whore hail.

Norm Roberts got on the wrong side of these guys at St. John's and they sank his boat. Bill Self took his kid in out of the Deep Freeze. Billy Donovan down at Florida took Norm in out of the cold, too--made him an assistant.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Now, Self and Donovan some times appear to be on the wrong sides of some of these weasels and that, I am occasionally tempted to hypothesize, may be why Self and Donovan--once magnetic enough to land truck loads of the best talent--are now not shoveling in the great numbers of top guns they once did.

Turg must some how figure a path through the AAU pimps and shoe whores that are likely clustering thick as rain drops and hail balls over his head as I write.

The bad guys are going to test him quickly to see if he cooperates, or tries to do it right.

It is Turg's good fortune to have Roy on his flank in this east coast world, but Roy's cover only goes so far.

Roy wants players. Roy wants more'n, not less'n. Roy doesn't ever want to meet Turg even up.

Gary Williams reputedly kvetched more than once that it was the tawdriness of recruiting at Maryland that squelched his love for the game and drove him to retire.

Gary Williams only once or twice attracted more'n...and he got a ring in 2002 when he did.

Mostly, though, disheveled, but tough, tenacious Gary played with less'n against the power coaches in the ACC.

And his .651 W&L statement, while pretty good, is an indication of how often he had less'n.

Fortunately for Turg, Gary has stayed on as a special assistant to the AD. This means that Gary will have his back and can help him negotiate the AAU pimps and shoe whores that will quickly circle Turg and Turg's players at Maryland.

Assuming Gary's help is forthcoming and assuming Gary has not been too deep in the swamp himself, Gary Williams tipping the Kid from Kansas off to the recruiting jungle of Maryland, and to where the bodies are buried in the ACC, can be an almost incalculably important edge for Turg.

Turg, the kid from Kansas, who has head coached at Jacksonville State, Wichita, and TAM, before getting his title shot at Maryland, has certainly recruited the east, but to have it for your backyard, and to have to swim daily with predators there is an entirely different thing.

Turg is in a potentially exceptional situation. If he can get in 5 solid season and have a program with some momentum at that point, he will suddenly find himself with Roy and Coach Consonants retiring. Turg at that point would be in the ACC driver's seat.

The more Turg ages the more he looks like a relative of Dean Smith.

I think he can do it.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

So you might be saying that Self and KU will be going the way of Maryland because of Self's resisting the AAU pimps? The KU program sells itself which is obviously not true at Maryland. I could become the head coach at KU and convince kids to come to KU because it's KU. (I'd be a bargain, I'd coach for 1/2 of what these guys are pulling in). (I'm getting my resume ready, coached 5th grade boys at West Elementary to league championship) (I'll hire my staff exclusively from the regular posters at KUSports.com)

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

I would like to agree with you, because you make your case with vith and pinegar. :-)

But Ted Owens got so he often could not land them.

Roy had his lean years, too, though he had the every other year rhythm method that even the Pope could approve of.

Still, KU has tended to hire coaches that are well trained, freakishly competitive, above average smart, and as seemingly tireless as great white sharks.

If you have those qualities, you too can drag 'em in.

Otherwise, I would advise you to pay these fellows that have coached KU a bit more respect.

They've earned it.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 9 months ago

Witty stuff JB...did Ol' Roy spell it "tard?"

Robert Brock 10 years, 9 months ago

Marcus Smart is a winner. It would be great to have him at KU...plus, his friend and fellow teammate Phil Forte. Unfortunately, I'll place my bet on the University of Oklahoma - an easy drive up I-35 from Flower Mound to Norman.

nuleafjhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Forget this Hield loser. Everyone knows that an unranked combo guard can't possibly bring anything of value to anyone. Only recruit the # 1 and # 2 ranked players, so we can get them an NBA paycheck quickly.

(Bold, Italic Sarcasm Font)

Woody Cragg 10 years, 9 months ago

Off topic. but if you missed this, here's the link to Mario & Dad at Lawrence Mem. http://www.kctv5.com/video?clipId=6083962&autostart=true This is "KU Class" at it finest.

Ben Simonett 10 years, 9 months ago

Of course they're not going talk about it on this website because they can't, but FYI Self all but admitted he's disappointed with the 2011 recruiting class to Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports:

AZHawk72 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I certainly didn't mean to rekindle old fires on the Roy issue--just draw attention to the respect Turg had for what he had learned from Roy and applied to his own situation as a new rival. Do I hope Maryland kicks the 'Heels ass? Oh, yes!

I've always wanted to ask, but I always thought I'd get a "who gives a rats a--, I hate them both" on the "who do you pull for when Duke vs. Carolina happens." Well, I always pull for Carolina because, to me, it's Kansas vs. Indiana. I wish that I couldn't remember when Bobby Knight took the Army job at a very young age and drug along coach K as his lead assistant. Then, Bobby was off to his destiny, Indiana, and sold his energetic assistant to Duke. Both did well.

In 1958, Coach Fred Taylor of the Buckeyes, who lived on the same street, sent a few players up to my house for my ninth birthday. They shot hoops with this young idiot and left a permanent impression. Imagine, Jerry Lucus, John Havlicek, Larry Siegfreid, Knight and others. It was either the next year or the one after, when two tickets arrived in the first row of the Loge at midcourt in Kansas City for the final four with Utah, St. Joseph, Cincinnati, and my beloved Buckeyes--they lost to Cincinnati 70-65 in overtime for the national championship. I was so devastated that I forgot to say "thanks."

It's so odd how some memories linger: the final four in KC, the girl next door, the shot that JoJo made in Texas that wasn't allowed because he landed out of bounds and ended up as a largely-inaccurate movie called "Glory Road," and five great years in Lawrence that I wouldn't trade for any.

But I digress--we need to get a couple of committments from 2012 to regain some recruiting momentum.