Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring signing period kicks off for KU basketball

Ben McLemore meets with the media after announcing his decision to attend Kansas University on Sunday, April 3, 2011.

Future Kansas University basketball players Braeden Anderson and Ben McLemore plan on signing national-letters-of-intent today, the first day of the month-long spring signing period.

“They sent it (letter). It’s in the mail. Hopefully it comes tomorrow. I’ll sign it tomorrow, if not, Thursday,” Anderson, a 6-8, 215-pound senior forward from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts said Tuesday from his home in Okotoks, Alberta.

Anderson orally committed to KU assistant coach Joe Dooley on Saturday in Canada and informed KU head coach Bill Self of the decision Sunday.

Once committed to DePaul, Anderson, who averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds this past season, chose KU over Kentucky, Arizona, Florida, Missouri and Memphis.

The 6-5, 185-pound McLemore, who is ranked No. 17 nationally by Rivals.com (Anderson is unranked), will sign his national letter in a ceremony this morning at Christian Life Center in Houston.

“Ben’s always been a quiet kid, but I can tell when he’s excited about something and I know he’s looking forward to signing with Kansas Wednesday,” Christian Life Center coach Carlos Wilson told Rivals.com. “He's been great for us and I know his teammates really like him. I've enjoyed coaching Ben and the guys have enjoyed having him around.”

McLemore, who chose KU over Missouri, averaged 16 points and seven rebounds in six games at the Houston school. He started the year at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., but was dismissed for violating undisclosed team rules.

KU, which signed point guard Naadir Tharpe in November, has three remaining scholarships to give in the Class of 2011, four if Josh Selby declares for the NBA Draft. Previously a walk-on, Conner Teahan received a scholarship this year because one was available. He figures to receive one again his senior year with KU figuring to not fill all available slots.

“We need to get at least one more commitment from a big and at least one more perimeter commitment, too,” said Self. “We may sign more than that, too. It depends on how things fall.”

Players on KU’s wish list include DeAndre Daniels, 6-8, 180, from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.; Jamari Traylor, 6-7, 210, also from IMG; and Trevor Lacey, 6-3, 190, from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala.

Daniels, who is ranked No. 9 by Rivals.com, is scheduled to visit Duke this weekend. He also has KU, Texas and Kentucky on his list.

Lacey told Rivals.com on Tuesday he will visit Alabama this weekend and likely KU the following weekend. He has a final list of KU, Alabama, Auburn, UConn and Kentucky.

“My interest in Kansas is serious,” Lacey told Rivals. “Coach Self is a great coach, Kansas is a winning program and they’ve got playing time available for me. A few guys are graduating and the Morris twins are leaving early, so I could step in and play right away.”

Lacey, Rivals.com’s No. 34-rated player, averaged 31.4 points, eight rebounds, 3.1 steals and 2.6 assists per game last season.

Traylor, who is unranked, will visit Oklahoma State this weekend, according to Zagsblog.com. Traylor, who has visited Indiana, also is planning on visiting KU with St. John’s, Memphis and Mississippi State in the mix.

Porter off the board

Otto Porter, a 6-9, 200–pound forward from Scott County Center High in Missouri, orally committed to Georgetown on Tuesday. He chose the Hoyas over KU and Missouri.

Roberts hired at Florida

Former KU assistant coach Norm Roberts and former Arkansas head coach John Pelphrey on Tuesday were named assistant coaches on Billy Donovan’s Florida staff.

Roberts was head coach at St. John’s for six seasons.

“Being from New York, I’ve known Norm for a long time,’’ Donovan said. “He’s an outstanding coach, he’s a great recruiter, has high character and integrity and I’m thrilled to have him on our staff here at Florida.”

Softie at heart

It was revealed at Monday’s KU basketball banquet that Self had his players cut down the nets at Allen Fieldhouse following a practice after KU’s regular-season ending victory at Missouri. The Jayhawks, who wrapped up the undisputed title at MU, obviously couldn’t cut down the nets in Columbia. Self, who felt his team hadn’t had a chance to celebrate much the past couple seasons, brought out a ladder and scissors in the fieldhouse. The ceremony was videotaped, parts of it shown at the banquet.

Comments

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

Donovan must be a stand up guy. Any coach that hires Norm is going to take heat from the shoe whores and aau pimps! Florida is now ok with me.

Michael Auchard 11 years, 5 months ago

He made some comment years and years ago (shows how long I can hold a grudge) in Sports Illustrated, I believe, where he called Roy Williams a cheater. Ever since then I've hated his guts. He has one hell of a coaching staff now, though.

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

Lacey would be a super add to replace Josh. Fingers crossed on this one.

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

Self wants JTray not just to get Daniels. Self understands the four year 6'7" 235-245 lb banger is the future staple of XTReme muscle. Travis Ford and OSU have been giving KU fits with these guys. Mid majors have been going deep with this body morph. Formula is always have two backup's like this to go with two 2-3 yr star bigs. It buys continuity.

Self wants Daniels for MUA orgasms. Daniels is a 3 MUA orgasm every game. And he gives good 4gasm when teams play chase the 4.

Withey's banquet pic shows a still very slender face suggesting no weight gain yet. Bad sign.

Joe Baker 11 years, 5 months ago

I like Withey and think he'll be better. But this is just too funny.

Thanksgiving Day Bullwinkle Floatie= Withey

PhogAdvisory 11 years, 5 months ago

Ahahaha... and if Jeff and Braeden ever get on the court together, our bigs will be Big Rocky and BullWithey!

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

The Tao of Neutral CG...

In XTReme Muscle, which is wrestling iced with cheap shooting, neutral, not low CG (center of gravity)is key. Recruit at 6'7" 210. Add 15 summer b4 frosh year. Add 10 next summer. Voila! A banger two more years.

Neutral CG is "the way."

Low CG is too Sumo for hoops. Not enough mobility to move and deliver blow.

High CG too much boxer, not enough wrestler. Not enough foundation to deliver blows from.

The 6'7" to 6'8" 235-245 big is the perfect, mass-production chassis for a basketball terminator--a T-1000 if you will.

The 6'9" to 6'10" combat chassis is preferred, but not available in sufficient volume to be relied on by SkyNet, er, D1 coaches.

Michael Luby 11 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate, you make me laugh man. T-1000, thats great stuff! Here's to hoping we get one more big and another lightning quick guard to add to the Jayhawk arsenal.

KGphoto 11 years, 5 months ago

Exactly why Charles Barkley was so successful at 6'6".

Athletic stems down low, huge barrel in the middle, long feelers up top. preferably with a jut butt for backing down defenders. Barkley's can made up about 60% of his 260 lb. mass, leaving a perfect 20% top, 20% bottom remainder.

JB, you could say Charles Barkley is your CG Vitruvian Man.

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

The future is star, neutral cg bigs backed by neutral CG terminators in the forward kill zone (formerly the front court).

The remote kill zone (formerly the back court aka perimeter) will continue to feature the combo assassin (combo guard) and increasingly feature the match-up freak, formerly known as the perimeter impact player.

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

And all the above occurred because the sports broadcasting-gaming industrial complex took over basketball after the world collapsed from central bank-driven oil wars, nuclear melt downs, and shipping jobs to peonage labor overseas and The Ascent of F6.

Stephen Johnson 11 years, 5 months ago

Dude - get back on your meds. seriously. I can only follow about half of what you're saying. (I do agree with you, when I can follow it)

Gregor Southard 11 years, 5 months ago

jaybate is entertaining when he's drunk and trying to be a cracker!

kraus42 11 years, 5 months ago

Lacey avg 3.1 steals...it would be nice to have that kind of defense again. One thing I think we've lacked over the past few seasons is steals. 3 steals per game over 30+ games. Those are Chalmers numbers. I understand caliber of opponents will increase dramatically so that will probably not continue at that high rate.

kufankam 11 years, 5 months ago

the only difference is that chalmers averaged those numbers at KU. in high-school, chalmers averaged closer to 8 steals a game his senior year... not sure if lacey's 3 spg avg in high school will translate to the same number when he gets to college...

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 5 months ago

Lacy could really be a good fit at KU..ranked high enough that he has plenty of potential but not too high that he thinks he deserves entitlement.

lee3022 11 years, 5 months ago

SuperMario has the quickest hands I have seen in a bb player. That is not something you can teach. He led the NBA in steals for awhile his rookie year. The problem with the big statistical steals players is that they often do not play good team defense in roaming into the passing lanes and leaving their man to score. Mario was an exception as many of his steals came from his man.

SaulGood 11 years, 5 months ago

I hope Lacey's comment about being able to play right away doesn't indicate some hope of his to start, Selby-style.

Chris Bruning 11 years, 5 months ago

Our luck here lately will have all these kids committing after this weekend (to duke, alabama, and osu) give us a visit lacey and i think you are a jayhawk. Although rivals states it will be very very difficult to pull lacey away from home. I would love DeAndre Daniels, kinda reminds me of a young scottie pippen.

ku1otaku 11 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. I think Lacey goes to a rising Alabama team which stinks. I really think we need to add another shooter.

Jarod DeLozier 11 years, 5 months ago

Once again, you can book it. Daniels is going to Duke. We might as well forget about him.

lee3022 11 years, 5 months ago

Or not. This is the man's decision and we can respectfully await it.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 5 months ago

Man, these kids miss out so much when they put off a visit to KU until the spring. A spring visit simply can't measure up to seeing Late Night or a game in AFH.

Joel Hood 11 years, 5 months ago

I don't disagree that Late Night or a garme is best, but these kids want playing time and next year's roster is the real pull for top 50 players. Local kids like Brady, Tyrel, Travis, & Conner all dream about becoming part of KU history. Top 50 prospects dream about the league. All that KU history "stuff" is great, but when they only plan on being here for a year or two, it isn't that important to an 18 year old kid that already knows everything. The importance of KU basketball history for most of our top recruits doesn't appear to sink in until the 2nd or 3rd year (just my opinion.)

Ben Simonett 11 years, 5 months ago

apparently late night isnt that great of a recruiting tool ,self seems to constantly miss on the player he gets in for late night.

for the most part, all his big talent has been spring singings

lee3022 11 years, 5 months ago

Many of the recruits have come to late night. There are usually 8-10 here and we sign one or two but we only need to sign one or two from that group. Spring signing has been good to us. Coach saves a couple of spots and gives guys time to make up their minds. Low pressure might make better commitments?

LJ Gee 11 years, 5 months ago

Im not sure how likely we are to land Lacey, but his quote was encouraging and he is an awesome player. I would love to see him in crimson and blue next year

hawkmaster 11 years, 5 months ago

I read several comments about fans being super excited about next year's guard depth, Taylor, Johnson, Releford, Woolridge, Teahan & new recruit Tharpe (not including Roberts or other benchers). Consider me realistic, but hopeful! Same ol' thing, a lot of 6" to 6'2" spot up shooters, none have proven to hit the 3 consistently, and none that can create their own shot, and only TT can drive to the bucket consistently but not finish consistently (that floater is horrible & he can't pull up short of the bucket and finish). KU will do well in non-conference and conference, as they always do with this type of player, only to be eventually exposed at weak guard play in the NCAA tourney (nothing like the tourney to expose your weakest link). Brady and Tyrell played lights out in conference play only, but being one-dimensional shooting spot up 3's in the tourney cost us, especially when u can't hit them and have no other game. Its usually the lack of guard play that causes KU losses in the tourney. The 2 most recent "complete" KU guards were Rush and Collins, both could create their own shot, drive to bucket, and finish...even Chalmers was more multi-faceted than our current guards. Collins finally ran out of gas the last 1/4 of season playing at overweight 220 lbs. & lost his shot and ability to finish his drives to the bucket. Please, why can't KU recruit the 6'3 and taller guard (I'll even settle for a shorter guard) that can create their own shot and finish at the rim? Everyone else gets these players, even a lot of mid-major teams manage to find them and expose KU. I don't get it...

Ben Simonett 11 years, 5 months ago

Its because Self runs a motion hi-lo offense with the bigs as the focal point and first scoring options. its not a very guard friendly system, hence the elite guards don't want any part of it. Look what is did to selby? X was a better fit because his game matched perfectly with what self asks from his guards (be spot up shooters around interior scoring options)

its very difficult for a player like selby to create his own shot when every time down the court the lane is packed with bigs and guards in position to double team the post entry pass.

i asked rivals recruiting expert this same question, you can read his answer here:

lee3022 11 years, 5 months ago

I had read your question and wondered if it had been submitted by a Dukie. It presupposes a negative. In my opinion Selby would have had a poor year in any system because of the injured thumb over the summer followed by nine games he missed to start and the additional games he missed with foot injury.

Selby will benefit from the system next year if he returns. He will be a primary scorer because we lack bigs beyond T-Rob who can score. In this past year there were ample opportunities for Selby to drive with both Marcus and Markieff able to step out and drill a three. The problem was Selby missed most of his shots when he got in there including many wide open. Just two years ago we had Sherron as a primary scorer. So guards do score well here.

Kye Clark 11 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget McLemore. He's a perimeter player - either a 2 or 3 - and can shoot from the outside and can get his own shot.

dylans 11 years, 5 months ago

Aaron Miles is not 6'1" more like 5'11" I ran into him on campus back in the day.

Robert Brock 11 years, 5 months ago

The Class of '12 has some great talent. Give the scholarships to top kids in that class instead of loading up on the leftovers of '11.

Ben Simonett 11 years, 5 months ago

and accept a sub par 2011'-'12 season in the process?

Kye Clark 11 years, 5 months ago

If you can't get Daniels or Lacey, absolutely.

Robert Brock 11 years, 5 months ago

The staff had several months to recruit good players in order to avoid such a "sub par" season. The good ones are now in the next class.

brooksmd 11 years, 5 months ago

How do you recruit bigs when you don't know what the twins are gonna do? Even if you think they're gone, how do you convince a kid to come to KU when there is a question on the twins and playing time, but there is no doubt at some other school?

Steve Gantz 11 years, 5 months ago

Not sure if they pad stats at Lacey's high school, but if those are legitimate numbers, wow! I don't care what level of ball it is, when someone scores almost a point a minute that's amazing.
As for Daniels, it seems like we've been reading about him for a year now, just wish he tell us he's coming and get it over with. I mean, why would he want to go anywhere else?

brooksmd 11 years, 5 months ago

I agree about Daniels. PT is available and DM will teach you everything you need to know. Not to mention Hudy will get your butt in shape.

bradynsdad 11 years, 5 months ago

I think in both football and basketball we will have a great year. Why do I think this you ask? I Have two sons one named bradyn obviously by my username and we just signed a braeden. We signed a Brock in football and I had a son in January named Brock. I know it's stupid and I am mostly being sarcastic, but that is why I think we will have a great year.

Ed Brown 11 years, 5 months ago

At this point in the football and basketball season your logic is as good as any guesses anyone else makes. Heck, even the monkey chose the right final four teams and winners this year! If you are right, I'll chip in the celebration party in honor of your sons. There's nothing better than being a dad!

bradynsdad 11 years, 5 months ago

Uptown I couldnt agree more. Even on the worst day a smile from one of my two boys changes my attitude completely. I know it's all in good fun making a statement about this years outcome based on my sons names, but it's like I tell all the kids I coach if you don't love this game and your not having fun then what's the point. If you have fun playing and watching the game regardless of the outcome it's a good day.

hawksfan08 11 years, 5 months ago

Lacey would be a great get. He'd be our first real scoring 2 guard since Langford.

63Jayhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

I wish Selby well in whatever decision he makes, but I hope he decides to return. Jayhawk basketball will be better with Selby than without him. However, Bill Self always seems to have a top 5 team regardless of the ranking of the players he signs. I trust his judgment on the recruits.

WilburNether 11 years, 5 months ago

"The Jayhawks, who wrapped up the undisputed title at MU, obviously couldn’t cut down the nets in Columbia."

Billy Tubbs, call your office.

JayDocMD 11 years, 5 months ago

perhaps, but both are still getting pretty good-sized checks from their previous employers.

Tuskin 11 years, 5 months ago

"to not fill?" Gary, I'm a big fan of yours, but have you decided to not care that grammar says you're to never split infinitives? =)

FoCoCoHawk 11 years, 5 months ago

And try to eschew obfusacatory persiflage while using or repeating or echoing words which are rudundant, unnecessary, superfluous and/or repetitive.

Also: Avoid cliches like the plague.

11 years, 5 months ago

Here is a good recent Jason King article, which includes a message for the glass-is-half-empty naysayers. Love the pic of TRob in it.

kdeutch 11 years, 5 months ago

Will Niko Roberts now transfer to Florida to be w/his dad? Just wondering.

David Atchley 11 years, 5 months ago

Let's see..Kansas Basketball has the second largest recruiting budget in the nation, and Self can't attract any of the top 15 players in the country. This with the promise that 2, possibly 3 player vacancies that saw a lot of minutes. What exactly happens on these "second most expensive recruiting budget visits" that find KU ranked "4th" by ESPN in recruiting....in the Big 12!!!

If you listen to "Brandon Beal's" comments on why he chose Florida over KU he talks about "Billy Donovan taking the approach of friend and not salesman in the recruiting process." Perhaps Self's arrogance isn't limited to his coaching against the "mid majors" during tournanment time.

bradynsdad 11 years, 5 months ago

Yeah Billy Donovan is recruiting players that are good. Problem is since his two national titles which I agree was good for him it didn't bring in anymore players. Since his titles look at his program, it's going nowhere in a hurry. I also find it interesting that we are ranked fourth in the big twelve in recruiting yet none of the other schools in the big twelve can bring home a conference champions banner, or for that matter very rarely even a big twelve tournament champions banner. Calapari is probably the best salesman in college basketball who does pick up all top fifteen recruits, yet he still lacks a national title. A five star recruit means nothing if the kid knows he is going pro and refuses to think his coaches know better than him. Every year there are complaints about recruiting and yet every year we find ourselves on top of the polls, it's amazing we can win without a top five recruiting class.

Kye Clark 11 years, 5 months ago

I'll say the same thing that I've been saying to everyone else who has complained about Self "whiffing" on guys. Coming into the season it was maybe 50/50 that Marcus would be leaving after his junior season, and far less certain that Markieff would leave. Add to that the thinking that if 'Kieff was staying, Marcus would stay too. Again, this is coming into the season. So there was hardly a "promise 2, possibly 3 player vacancies that saw a lot of minutes.", at least not in the post. Why would any top big man (top 15, as per your post) want to come here and risk sitting behind the Twins & TRob for a year? And there were very few uncommitted heading into the late signing period. Who was left when it became clear that the Twins weren't going to be here? No one in the top 15 that's for sure.

Anyway, that's the bigs. Now if the "2, possibly 3" players you were referring to were Brady, Tyrel, & Selby and you were referring to perimeter players, then I'd agree there were a few misses (although the "possibly" makes me curious as to what you actually meant, given that Brady, Tyrel, & Little were all leaving). But think about what you're asking. Out of the top 15 players that you're disappointed that Self couldn't attract, 4 are bigs (according to rivals, 5 if you look at ESPN). And one is undecided (Daniels, none if you're looking at ESPN). So that's 10 perimeter players. KU can't realistically be in on all of them. I'm showing there were in on 4 - Rivers, Nash, Beal, and Turner. ESPN includes Marquis Teague, but rivals doesn't, so I'm tossing him out. In addition to not remembering hearing much about him he is a PG, and no top PG is going to want to come here and sit behind Taylor and/or Selby. For this reason I'm also tossing Turner off the list. So that's 3 players - Rivers, Nash, & Beal - that KU was in on and they knew that had a very good shot at available playing time awaiting them here. Rivers chose Duke. Defending champs, east coast...not too crushing for me there. Beal chose Florida - some definite playing time opening up, Donovan has 2 rings, and hey...it's Florida. A far cry from the Midwest winters. KU invested a lot trying to get him here so it stung a bit, but it's not like he chose Fizzou over us. Lastly, Nash chose Oklahoma State. This is the worst of the three. Why? I don't get it. We were the last of his recruiting visits so we should have held the edge there. The only thing I can think of is he goes to OSU and the focus is on him and he can showcase his skills as opposed to playing through a team concept. If that's the case, then so be it.

Kye Clark 11 years, 5 months ago

(cont.) One last thing, you mention "second largest recruiting budget" a couple of times. What do you think that means? KU isn't paying these guys to come here, or wining & dining them when they go visit these kids. All this really means is travel expenses. It's naturally more difficult for KU to make East coast trips than Duke, or West coast trips than Arizona. Recruiting nationally costs money. I was just curious why you brought that up twice as if it meant something more than it does.

Woody Cragg 11 years, 5 months ago

Hey troll, just copy & paste the same negative hor$e$hit on another article again and crawl back underneath your rock jerkoff. Don't go away mad, but go away regardless.,

Woody Cragg 11 years, 5 months ago

Handle sounds like a misery alias to me-mustlehustle, HA!

Jarod DeLozier 11 years, 5 months ago

Probably nothing wrong with Self's choice of a high/low offense. It increases your shooting percentage and opens the floor, and that's only if we don't get a fast break basket. Seriously, if you that aren't into the system looked at another school's coach and his stats looked like this, would you be negative about them:

8 seasons 236-45 (.840) 7 Straight Conference Championships in a BCS Conference 1 National championship Last 5 years national rank in points per game:5,5,34,10,21

If you want to complain about a team's offense, go pick on a big 10 team.

lee3022 11 years, 5 months ago