Friday, March 26, 2010

KU hoops signee Woolridge will represent U.S.

Kansas University basketball signee Royce Woolridge will represent the United States at the 2010 Albert Schweitzer Tournament set for April 3-10 in Mannheim, Germany.

“I think it’ll be an awesome experience,” said Woolridge, a 6-foot-3 combo guard from Phoenix Sunnyslope High. “I think it’ll help my game a lot to play against other countries. It will be an honor to play for the United States.”

Woolridge averaged 29.2 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists a game his senior season for 26-4 Sunnyslope High.

Arizona’s Class 4A-1 state player of the year, who hit 49 percent of his floor shots (37 percent from three) and 80 percent of his free throws, scored 34 points in Sunnyslope’s 73-71 state title loss to McClintock.

“We had a good year, but the last game didn’t go well,” Woolridge said. “It was pretty sad. It’s my last year. You want to win it all.”

Woolridge will be joined on the U.S. team by Ryan Boatright, Michael Chandler, Joshua Henderson, Damian Leonard, Christophe Manhertz, Farooq Muhammad, Marshall Plumlee, Jamal Tucker, Dillon Watsack and Andrew White.

Because of his conflict with the Schweitzer Games, Woolridge declined an invitation to play in the Derby Classic all-star game, set for April 10 in Louisville. Woolridge said he’ll be playing in an all-star game in California on May 1. He plans on reporting to KU for summer school on June 6.

Woolridge was on spring break in Mexico last week when KU fell to Northern Iowa in the second round of the NCAAs.

“I was watching some other game on TV. The score was on the screen. It was disbelief,” Woolridge said. “It hurts. It’s sad. Northern Iowa came to play. They definitely should be proud of what they accomplished. They had a great season,” he added of the Jayhawks.

Woolridge said he’d yet to text any of his future teammates.

“I thought I’d give them a week,” Woolridge said.

He was asked who he favored in the NCAA Tournament the rest of the way.

“I don’t even know. My whole brackets are messed up,” Woolridge said. “I don’t know if I’ll still watch it (tourney). Now it’s like ... whatever.”

Recruiting

Rivals.com reports that KU coach Bill Self was scheduled to be in St. Louis on Thursday to check in on Ben McLemore, a 6-5 junior shooting guard from Eskridge High. McLemore averaged 28.3 points, 12.5 rebounds and 6.1 assists per game his junior season. He’s being recruited by KU, Missouri, Tennessee and others.

Assists update

Bill Self’s Assists Foundation has announced plans to fund a four-year scholarship for the Lawrence Public Schools Foundation.

The fund will provide four scholarships annually, two to Lawrence High School and two to Free State High School.

Applications have been available this spring through the college counselors in each school. Each scholarship is renewable by the recipient each year for a maximum of four years.

The endowment will support four $2,500 four-year college scholarships, which will grow to a total of 16 sustaining scholarships.

“The scholarships program is something we wanted to do from the outset and we are really excited to get this going,” Self said.

“It is one of the most direct ways we can impact Kansas youth.”

Assists will host the second Bill’s Basketball Boogie June 11 at the College Basketball Experience at Sprint Center. To participate, log on to www.basketballboogie.org or e-mail info@assistyouth.org.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 12 years, 3 months ago

It's cool doing this schollies for schools in KC and Lawrence. However, I'm really curious why not expand statewide. It isn't like only those 2 cities have at risk youth.

bradynsdad 12 years, 3 months ago

i keep hoping every morning i check here that the headline will read cole and xavier to return, but i know thats far fetched. between ku and cuse losing my brackets are finished. does anyone know if marshall plumlee plans on attending duke with his brothers?

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

I don't want Cole or X to come back next year.....

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

I'm not completely tore up about Sherron leaving either. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Cole and Sherron play the last few years (and the idea of X playing for KU)....but I think it's time for a change.

nobody1793 12 years, 3 months ago

“I don’t know if I’ll still watch it (tourney). Now it’s like ... whatever.”

Watch it dude. You can always learn something new.

Tony Bandle 12 years, 3 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but an article about Royce Woolridge playing for the USA in Germany illicits absolutely no reponse even though seven are posted is interesting.

I guess he's already been designated as the 2010-2011 poster boy for Red Shirts, Inc. by KU Nation. This kid can play...unfortunately so can Elijah, and we saw how much he was out there.

sdku 12 years, 3 months ago

Jeez. Give Royce a break. The guy is probalby very solid. All these people on here are just hating cause we lost. If he can defend and can't get open for a jump shot, I like him!

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

I'm not excited about Royce at all, but give him a couple years and I bet he's pretty solid.

Omari Miller 12 years, 3 months ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, here have commented some of the worst, most irrational, so-called, fans in KU history. Are you all on crack? Sherron is one of the best guards in KU history. His number will be on the rafters. Cole is the best shot blocker in program history and represented the team tremendously on the court and in the classroom like few others have. And how do you know what x felt? You all are the same ones clamoring for the best recruits... angry if Self doesn't land the most ballyhooed. And then you belittle them at the very inference that they might be one and done? Get real. You losers need to look past the last loss and ask yourself what the he'll we're to expect out of our best. I think, for all intents and purposes, we've seen it.

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

Omari1911, who kicked sand in your vertical smile? Who said Sherron wasn't one of the best guards in KU history? No one. Who said Cole isn't the best shot blocker in Ku history? No one. All I said was that I wasn't sad to see them go and that it was time for a change....nothing wrong with that, we should embrace change. Besides, what the hell do you know about basketball?.....you picked New Mexico to go to the Final 4.

Dee Shaw 12 years, 3 months ago

Been saying it all year. Cole Aldrich reminds me so much of Eric Chenowith.

bradynsdad 12 years, 3 months ago

you know some of you may not want x back but dont take a shot at his character. he was one of the nicest and respectful young men i have ever talked to. when i walked away he spent the next half hour talking to every young kid like they were his own little brother. so go easy on him.

tstanlick1909 12 years, 3 months ago

Im with you IfiniteJ, this team has the potential to be an uber athletic, up and down team that could dismantle opponents. But with Aldrich slowing our pace and Sherron jacking up retarded shots all game it was hard to get off the ground. We could run Roy ball with this team next year. Tyshawn, Elijah, Selby(hopefully), Lamb(hopefully) TRob and the Morris twins. Very exciting up tempo stuff

Sherron and Cole were fabulous individuals, and they will go down as all time greats

tobyfoo 12 years, 3 months ago

I will miss Cole's defense and if X leaves that is a huge loss for the Hawks. I don't know how anyone could be ready for Cole to go. Our defense is amazing with his shot blocking. Get a grip people and stop ripping our players. Whiny babies that like to complain... you fit in better at MU, go complain over there. 33-3 is an amazing record and no one has won 6 conference titles in a row since John Wooden. Stop complaining! I can't stand ungrateful fans!

bayareajhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Some people here need a reality check. Cole, Sherron and X are great players and we would be foolish not to want Cole and/or X back for another year. Obviously, the season didn't turn out how we all wanted, but that doesn't change who these guys are.

And if you want to watch Roy ball go to the Deandome. You won't see it at Allen Fieldhouse while Bill Self is in charge. The closest thing you'll see to that is if Bill can get some more guards that play D like Robinson and Chalmers did. That's how Bill wants to run (after steals), not seeing how fast you can get down the floor after picking the ball out of the basket. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that when Roy was here. But those days are long gone and Bill's way is better.

WDC_Jayhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

I want to echo the (wise) chorus of folks who are dismissing the commenters on here who are busy denigrating Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Xavier Henry and Kansas in general for one upset loss. Fact is, I'd take them all back.

None of you would be writing this drivel if one game hadn't gone terribly wrong. You'd be begging Cole to come back, begging X to come back, saying they owed it to the team to try to repeat or some such nonsense.

You're the same band of fair weather bleaters who wanted Bill Self fired after two unfortunate first round upsets (that had different root causes) and I wake up each morning when I check this site thanking the high heavens that you're not in charge of the athletic department because collectively your knees are weaker than a Smirnof Ice cocktail. Seriously.

All three of these men played hard for Kansas. All three of these men ultimately embodied the sort of class and dignity that Kansas fans have come to expect from their players. In Sherron's case, there is no choice, and we should all wish him the best at the next level and beyond. He's got a family to take care of and he's served us well. If you don't think Sherron's legacy is intact, burn your '08 Championship t-shirts and banners, because there's no way we won that won without him. Same w/ your Big 12 banners.

In the case of Cole and Xavier, let them make their decision. Meanwhile, none of you should be suprised by their choices. Xavier hasn't just been a reliable third scoring option this year, he's been a really candid and honest person. He has never, a la Julian Wright, declared he will stay here for next season and then reneged. (Not that I fault J-W for getting while the getting's hot.) X's been outfront. Carl Henry's is maybe a bit lamentable but ... that's a Dad that doesn't know how to talk to the media. There are a lot of those. Since the Henry's arrived, they haven't been divas, they've been players. C.J. Henry never complained about his lack of burn, and X never complained that Sherron wasn't spreading the ball around. They both could have.

Cole's been a little bit less declarative about making the jump but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to discern what's going on and, in any case, Self has done the talking for him. If any of you goofballs want to fault a guy for taking millions of dollars after three outstanding years in college, with only 12 credit hours to go on his diploma, so that he can help pay the bills for his underemployed family ... you suck. You're a selfish fan, and you should reconsider why you root for this team.

If this is preachy, so be it. But honestly. We lost one game. And y'all are EXASPERATING. What happened last weekend doesn't make these young men any less illustrious or credible than it did to Paul Pierce and Raef Lafrentz when Kansas lost to Rhode Island or than it did to Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich when the Jayhawks fell short against Syracuse.

kcmostwanted 12 years, 3 months ago

KU Fans after a loss = arrogant and unappreciative.

Before the Season = Cole is a beast and Sherron will eat up John Wall

If we win = Wow Cole and Sherron are amazing... X is the real deal

If we lose = Time for change

I've never been more embarrassed to be a KU fan

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

Some of you guys on here take things WAY to personal. We are all fans and I really don't think anyone is bashing KU or it's players. All I know is what I saw...and that is Cole and Sherron were both much better last year as compared to this year...and X was a disappointment. This year, other then the first part of the non-con, KU never really beat the hell out of anyone, it seemed that every game was in question till the end and any "big" lead KU had on teams was never safe. KU peaked at winning the Big 12...there is nothing wrong with that and it was a great season, but the fact is they lost in the 2nd round to a Missouri Valley team. It's time for change.....stop holding onto the past....Cole, Sherron, and X are gone and I really think KU will be better, more athletic, and more exciting for it next year. So everyone needs to stop acting like people are busting off jokes about your Mom on here....everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Lacy Mohler 12 years, 3 months ago

May be awhile before Sherron gets a chance to "eat up" John Wall. He may have to earn his way through the D leagues. I love the Jayhawks, but I will never agree with other fans about Sherron. It was time for a change.

An outsider's opinion:

Read Question 8 and 9.

tobyfoo 12 years, 3 months ago

infiniteJ - 1. "and that is Cole and Sherron were both much better last year as compared to this year." - BETTER SUPPORTING CAST THIS YEAR. HELLO!

1. "I don't want Cole or X to come back next year....." - What intelligent basketball coach wouldn't want Cole on his team next year?

2. "everyone is entitled to their own opinion"--so stop telling us how to take things, or how to stop acting.

You wouldn't be writing those comments if we had beat UNI.

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

kcmostwanted,

That's the fickle world of sports, bro. I've been a huge KU fan for as long as I can remember, but over the years I've become a realistic KU fan...and when Cole and Sherron don't show up for a game against UNI in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament....I'm going smash them up a bit because they deserve it....and because they didn't play like they were capable of....if they had, the Jayhawks would have won the Championship, but they didn't....and you know what? I saw it coming....because I'm not a rosy glassed KU fan, I'm a realistic one. I love having Cole, Sherron, and to some degree X, play for the Jayhawks....but it's time to head in a bit of a different direction....and we all should be cool with that. I think Coach Self has that same mind-set...

InfiniteJ 12 years, 3 months ago

tobyfoo,

1. Better supporting cast my ass.....

2. I'm not an intelligent basketball coach, I'm a stupid fan.

3. You kinda got me on that one.....

You're right, I wouldn't be saying this had KU beat UNI, but that's because that would have meant that KU would have played the way they were supposed to, but they didn't....so here we are.....by the way, I used to have a dog named Toby, but he didn't mind if I talked junk on my team....so we got along better then you and I do.

sdku 12 years, 3 months ago

We are going to fine next year, and maybe a little better. Did I say better, this is just my opinion but we will be a more athletic team. Releford , Little (healthy), EJ (fast), Woolridge, Whitney (quicker than Cole), Taylor, Robinson, and the Twins. Someone tell me we won't be more athletic and explosive than this year's team. We will obviously lose games since it's a new team but I'm excited. Cole and X should go, I wouldn't want to miss out on the big money. They are projected high in the drafts. Next year we may not win the Big 12, but this team will be better primed to win it than this years team. Reed and Morningstar may know Bill's system but they just don't have the athleticism to play with future NBA stars. They need to be role players. Let's develop all the new guys, i don't care if we lose games!

superdave 12 years, 3 months ago

I think Woolridge will do well here- my concern is his outside shot. At 37% facing high school defense, he'll need a lot of work to get to an acceptable % in college. I'm glad he's getting a chance to face different styles of players and teams in this tournament. Like others, I never could understand why EJ didn't play more. For a freshman, he appeared composed and hustled on defense. For all of the complainers about X and Cole, I'll say this: The reason we lost against UNI is that our starting guards went 0-9 from 3. You cannot win in the tourney with poor performance at the guard position, and that was supposed to be our strength entering the season. Find guards who can shoot and we'll be fine next year. Marcus, EJ, Selby, Little and Withey (or TRob) is my starting 5.

Theutus 12 years, 3 months ago

Looking forward to seeing Woolridge at KU... That being said, he'd be best off Red-Shirting his freshman year.

I wish we had red-shirted Elijah to be honest. I really think Self made a mistake not playing EJ more throughout the season. He really could have got a lot more experience and development. I think in time, he'll be one of the best PG's we've had. Crazy athletic, and no fear of going to the rim.

That's just my .02cents.

jayhawker_97 12 years, 3 months ago

finally!! something positive about KU men's hoop. i don't care what you all saying about Royce. he'll kick azz with his cross-over. Elijah can play off the bench. he wont' be red-shirt next year. KU will rule next year!!

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

My first thoughts about Royce playing international are:

You shoot 37% from trey in high school.

You are 6'1" tall.

You weigh 175 pounds.

Until you put on 20 pounds of muscle and learn to shoot 40% from trey, you haven't got a prayer of playing for a D1 team in the Madness.

How exactly does Manneheim help you put on 20 pounds, or learn to shoot the trey?

But then again, if you're dad's Orlando Woolridge, maybe you're affluent enough that you're just playing the game for fun, not planning on playing much, and visiting Germany would be edifying.

And my take is not due to KU's loss.

It is due to watching guards on teams in the NCAA XTreme Basketball Tournament.

KULA 12 years, 3 months ago

Wow jaybate, lighten up on the high school kid. He must be half way decent if KU offered him a scholarship.

Kye Clark 12 years, 3 months ago

Royce is half way decent, but he won't be able to get on the court next year unless he dramatically improves between now and then. Royce is the #117 ranked recruit this year. Consider he'll be competing for playing time with Tyshawn, Tyrel, Brady, EJ (who was the #24 ranked recruit last year), and any other recruits we bring in - all of whom are ranked higher than Royce. Sometimes you bring in kids with the expectation of developing them over the course of a year or two (Brady & Tyrel being good examples). If not you'd always have 12-13 kids on the roster that were all ready to play, and no matter what your opinion is on depth and having X number of players in your rotation, 12-13 is too many.

David Reed 12 years, 3 months ago

most of the posters here are an embarassment to real fans all over

Fred Davis 12 years, 3 months ago

It's good to see that most of the posters here get their basketball information from message boards, but to immediately dismiss Royce because of his size or even more laughable - because of where Rivals has him ranked - you're a buffoon. The kid can score, and he does it very well, which is precisely what this team lacked last season and lacked again this season, although we were all led to believe that Xavier would solve that burden, and why not - he was a Top Ten, can't miss prospect! Please, save me the rivals rankings, because Alec Burks from Colorado was a machine this season and that kid flew completely under the radar... Royce came up big against Harrison Barnes last summer, his brother is still in the tourney at Tennessee and oh, his dad played in the NBA, so the kid is like a smaller, less-hyped version of Xavier without the drama of Carl and his brother... I'm excited about Royce and after this past season, I would bet that Self will do a much better job of giving more guys a chance to play during the regular season after the atrocious performance from our 'vaunted' backcourt... Finally, anyone who says they don't want Cole or X back is a moron. While I don't envision either one coming back, X needs another year and I would love to see what he can do with a real point guard like Tyshawn... As for Cole, yeah, nobody would want a 7-foot senior with something to prove in his last year to come back...

Kye Clark 12 years, 3 months ago

FreddyD - yeah, we're buffoons for expecting the people at rivals - you know, who actually get paid to know these kinds of things - to serve as any kind of a guidepost for talent. How about the people at ESPN who have him as the #33 ranked shooting guard? No? OK, how about kansas.scout.com who have him as the #42 ranked shooting guard? No, I'm sure you're right. I'm sure all these different sources who are paid to see these kids play and offer their unbiased evaluations don't hold a candle to what FreddyD has to say about him on the message boards. Get over yourself. Yes there's always exceptions, guys can come out of nowhere to have impressive seasons or careers. Of course it's more likely to happen at places like Colorado, where most of their team is 3 star recruits (or lower). Someone has to score there.

I'm not "dismissing" him. I think he has a chance to be a good player. Just saying you have to be more than just a scorer. You have to be able to take care of the ball and defend at the college level, something very few high school kids are adept at. So he'll be entering a situation trying to fight for minutes at the two (probably not a good enough ball handler to play the point, not big enough - despite you dismissing size as a factor - to play the 3) where he'll have to try and overtake some combination of Tyrel, Brady, EJ, Tyshawn, and in all probability another recruit. So my suggestion was that he red-shirt, wait to start the clock on his eligibility until after Tyrel & Brady are gone. Are you telling me that wouldn't be in his best interest? That it would be more beneficial to him to fight for minutes with the aforementioned group and risk floundering away a year of eligibility like EJ did this year? Or would it be better to work on his game and go through Hudy's conditioning program for a year and come back for the '11-'12 season?

Lance Hobson 12 years, 3 months ago

I'm already a fan of Royce. He does and says the right things. He's only ranked higher because he signed so early so no one has been recruiting him. He's the real deal. The Henrys could learn a lot from him and his family.

Kye Clark 12 years, 3 months ago

strikewso - agreed that has something to with Royce's rankings (I mentioned as much in a previous post on another thread). At the time he announced he was coming to KU he was ranked somewhere in the 70s, so even if he improved some it's unlikely he elevated himself to that of a 5-star, can't miss recruit.

I'm a fan of him too, like I was saying earlier I just don't want him to have a year of wasted eligibility, seeing time against the cupcakes then being buried on the bench. Maybe I'm wrong and he outperforms my expectations, maybe Self changes his approach and plays more guys in the rotation throughout the season. Regardless, I'm happy to have him and hope he makes the most with his time as a Jayhawk.

Kye Clark 12 years, 3 months ago

ralster - I've seen a couple of sources list him at 6'3", but scout.com lists him at 6'1". I figure the 6'3" is probably accurate considering the multiple sources listing him as such, just thought I'd point out that when I googled Royce Woolridge the first listing was scout.com and my guess would be that's where Jaybate got the 6'1" from.

Scott MacWilliams 12 years, 3 months ago

Hey folks, To those dumping on the players who gave us a 33-3 season, Big 12 regular AND tournament titles, and had the gall to lose to early in the NCAA's: GET A GRIP!!

Personally, I think that being picked to win it all, by EVERYONE, is the kiss of death. The ESPN page had every one of their commentators picking KU to be in the Final Four, and if that kind of blather won't get in a young guys head, I don't know what would. If everybody around you tells you that you are already the king, pretty soon you start to think it might be true. I mean, how could all those people be wrong?? Give these guys a break, they gave us a great season, and they'll be great again next year...

ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS!!!

bobbenson 12 years, 3 months ago

If someone could find a way to shred all of these comments and spread them over our fields, we could raise three or for times as many bushels of grain to sell.

bobbenson 12 years, 3 months ago

John Randall 12 years, 3 months ago

InfiniteJ -- your first post was too asinine to merit a reply, but when you follow up with this

[[ Omari1911, who kicked sand in your vertical smile? Who said Sherron wasn't one of the best guards in KU history? No one. Who said Cole isn't the best shot blocker in Ku history? No one. All I said was that I wasn't sad to see them go and that it was time for a change....nothing wrong with that, we should embrace change. ]]

I actually begin to understand -- the last sentence explains your demented hubris better than any comment I might come up with.