Originally published August 25, 2010 at 11:21a.m., updated August 26, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

KU-KSU hoops to appear on GameDay

Kansas fans go wild as members of the ESPN College GameDay crew Rece Davis, left, Hubert Davis, Digger Phelps and Jay Bilas go live from James Naismith Court at Allen Fieldhouse. Students were allowed to enter around 8 a.m.

Allen Fieldhouse for the Jan. 29 Kansas University-Kansas State men’s basketball game, the Big 12 Conference and KU announced Wednesday.

Gameday returning to Allen Fieldhouse

ESPN's Gameday program will be returning to Allen Fieldhouse this year for the Kansas vs. Kansas State men's basketball game. The game will be played on Kansas Day.

It marks the fourth time in the seven-year history of the show that GameDay will originate in Lawrence.

It’s a rematch of last year’s GameDay, in which KU nudged Kansas State, 81-79, in overtime at KSU’s Bramlage Coliseum.

“This is a great way to showcase the KU program and the Big 12 in what will be a big celebration for our state,” KU coach Bill Self said, well aware the Jan. 29 date marks the 150th anniversary of Kansas becoming the 34th state in the Union.

“The GameDay crew has not been here since we renovated Allen Fieldhouse, so this will be good to show the nation what improvements we have made to the best venue for college basketball.

“The Big 12 is going to be terrific once again this year with a lot of outstanding teams,” Self added. “I feel Kansas and Kansas State will be two of those teams contending for the conference title this season.”

Baylor has also been awarded a home GameDay appearance for the Bears’ game against Texas on March 5 in Waco.

“I am real excited for it,” KU sophomore guard Elijah Johnson said. “I’ve seen regular-season games and seen how the fans and students pack the building. For GameDay to come here, I’m pretty sure it’ll be nuts. It’s my first one. I expect it to be the best one.”

“I mean, I think it’ll be a great experience,” sophomore forward Travis Releford said. “We will be able to showcase our fans and showcase the atmosphere in the fieldhouse. It should be a fun time.”

Also in celebration of Kansas Day, the KU women’s team will be playing at K-State on January 29.

Start time for that game is to be determined.

The full ESPN College Gameday schedule is below.

Jan. 15 — Vanderbilt at Tennessee (men & women)

Jan. 22 — Michigan State at Purdue

Jan. 29 — Kansas State at Kansas

Feb. 5 — Florida at Kentucky

Feb. 12 — Pittsburgh at Villanova

Feb. 19 — Illinois at Michigan State

Feb. 26 — Duke at Virginia Tech

Mar. 5 — Texas at Baylor

KU recruiting note: LeBryan Nash, a 6-foot-7, 227-pound senior forward from Dallas’ Lincoln High, has narrowed his list of prospective schools to KU, Baylor and Oklahoma State, Zagsblog.com reports. Nash, who is Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player nationally, said he may visit KU for the Oct. 15 Late Night in the Phog. He plans to announce Oct. 21 on ESPN. Nash is the half brother of former OSU guard Byron Eaton.

Comments

justinryman 11 years, 11 months ago

Really? No North Carolina!!???

Thats OK with me.

Scatterhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Just curious. Has Selby been cleared yet?

Annette Lee 11 years, 11 months ago

Just looks like espn is looking for upsets over expected NCAA bid teams playing conference away games.. Florida at KY not so much.. Illinois at MSU maybe not..

Jaminrawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Duke @ VaTech = T.U.R.D. I don't care if Duke is the defending champ.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 11 months ago

on Kansas Day to boot....excellent showcase for the state.

JayCeph 11 years, 11 months ago

I like to read stories about the basketball program (*hint hint)

Chris Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

I"m shocked they don't have UNC on the schedule. I mean, I figured with their preseason #2 ranking and all that they would be somewhere on the schedule? I'm also shocked there is only one Big East showdown. Maybe the "Midwest Bias" movement is stronger than I thought.

stravinsky 11 years, 11 months ago

I dunno man, with no games west of the rockies, there's GOTTA be some bias going on. Only having games in the eastern half of the US? I think we can call that 'east coast bias.'

PAC 10 and MWC ball sucking in no way has anything to do with it. And there being no UNC is just a red herring.

Andrew Moore 11 years, 11 months ago

I think the pac10 has some sort of deal worked out with Fox for most of their games.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry to those posters that actually believed my "UNC #2 Ranking" comment. I was being completely sarcastic based on their #4 preseason ranking of last year. I guess I need to start putting something in my posts like (Note: Anythonyzal, this is a completely sarcastic post so don't start taking it so literally and to the bank).

Note: This was a not a sarcastic post

taylorrl888 11 years, 11 months ago

I listened to the Hawks since I was nine years old. Big Clyde L. was the honco then. That would have been 1951. Not sure about the time frame. Always a top drawer program. Very few down years. Hawker for life in Kansas.

Jaminrawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, wasn't the Ferrell Center voted the worst place to play by many of the Big XII players in that anonymous poll last season? I know it was neck-and-neck with Colorado.

gchawk 11 years, 11 months ago

I seriously hope that Digger doesn't show up when they come to Lawrence. For some reason he has never liked KU, we must have hurt his fragile feelings during his coaching years. Jay Bilas, on the other hand, is a very knowledgeable and classy individual.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 11 months ago

This will be great!

A national audience will be witness to college basketball's most lopsided rivalry.

During the game, that audience may be treated to the unfortunate exploding veins in Frank Martin's head while he tries to close the margin to less than 30 points coming back from the halftime break.

Lip readers will clearly detect the words "..Michael Beasley, Denis Clemente, Jacob Pullen, please don't let them be watching this game!"

Maybe we should adopt a nickname just for this game: "The Phog of Doom"!

How about a new slogan for this year: "We're just Joshin' with you!"

jaybate 11 years, 11 months ago

"Some Reasons ESPN Holds a College Game Day at KU"

~So Digger can have the therapeutic experience of a 16,000 person intervention telling him he knows less about college basketball than a New York bed bug knows about being a blood donor to the Red Cross.

~So Dick Vitale can humiliate himself in front of 16,000 fans that know he's a hair-challenged, Duke-monger that last took the game seriously when squandered Spenser Haywood's huge talent.

~So Hubert Davis can admit how little he deserved to shoot those two disputed free throws from a blown foul call against Scottie Pippen in Game 5 of the 1994 Eastern conference semifinals against the Chicago Bulls, giving the Knicks an undeserved 87-86 win.

~So the articulate and intelligent Jay Bilas can be around some smart Kansas fans and escape unrelenting idiocy of his intellectually challenged broadcast partners.

~So Rece Davis can safely say, "The only reason I don't call Dick and Digger the Twin Idiots all the time is that The Black Hand would give me a zinc acid bath faster than you can say "our thing, Vito."

(Note: Naturally, all of the above is fiction sans malice. And any rebroadcast or reproduction of the above without the expressed written consent of the Men in Black, is prohibited and punishable by up to ten years of forced listening to Dick and Richard.)

Rock Chalk!

pizzaboy225 11 years, 11 months ago

are you joking? i was never a huge sherron defender, but i still loved him, and knight calling for his benching at half for one of the games last year is still a running joke; i don't hate knight but all i remember him talking about during games last year was his wife and fishing

stravinsky 11 years, 11 months ago

If I remember right, that was the game where Sherron couldn't hit a shot to save his life in the first half (then he lit it up in the second). I could be misremembering though.

I've always thought Knight has some of the more interesting and useful commentary during a game. I like, even feel like I learn something sometimes (fancy that).

jaybate 11 years, 11 months ago

Yes, but only if Bobby wears a t-shirt that says "I don't slap people any more."

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 11 months ago

Great news! Another excuse to have a party! And focojayhawk---I know who wins, too!

Benjamin Piehler 11 years, 11 months ago

is it true that KSU will likely be preseason ranked higher than KU? (obviously at the end of the year we will have passed them, adding yet another bragging point to our arsenal).