How a missed blockout and a lucky carom helped KU take down Purdue

Normally this would be the time to look ahead to Kansas' next opponent, but with such a dramatic finish in KU's 63-60 victory over Purdue on Sunday, I wanted to go back to take a deeper look at the Jayhawks' critical defensive possession in the final minute.

Let's set up the situation. KU led, 61-60, with 23.3 seconds left. Purdue had the basketball after a KU timeout. Here's the cued-up video if you want to follow along.

After the game, Purdue's Robbie Hummel said the plan was for him to come off a screen to receive a pass. We can see from the video that Hummel is supposed to curl around Terone Johnson, who sets a ball screen for teammate Lewis Jackson first.

Something very important happens here: Notice that Tyshawn Taylor and Thomas Robinson switch on the original ball screen.

When Purdue had gone to a small lineup this season, most teams put their big man on Johnson, who was easier to guard from the perimeter (31-percent three-point shooter, 22 of 71) than the taller Hummel (38-percent three-point shooter, 72 of 188).

When KU switched in the second half to put Travis Releford on Hummel, Robinson was forced to guard the 6-2 Johnson.

This change forces KU away from its normal defensive principles. Instead of hedging on ball screens, KU — with its small lineup — is now switching all ball screens.

"It's just different," KU coach Bill Self said, "when you haven't practiced that way a ton."

Robinson is focused, though, and switches as he's supposed to. The bigger issue for KU is that this creates a mismatch, putting the point guard Jackson against Robinson, who is a foot taller but not nearly as quick.

Even with the mismatch, Purdue's plan is to get the ball to its best player, Hummel, on this final possession.

Hummel starts to come around the screen when he notices something: Releford is overplaying him defensively.

Releford anticipates Hummel's cut, so he tries to beat him around the screen to deny the ball.

In the middle of a play designed for him, Hummel reads the defense and calls his own audible.

He back-cuts Releford.

And for a few frames, he is wide open.

This is still a tough read for Jackson, who is expecting Hummel to come to the top of the circle to receive a pass.

When he doesn't see Hummel there, it looks like the point guard's instinct takes over, and in this case, that means doing what he does best: trying to drive the ball. Remember, he still has Robinson guarding him.

If Jackson would have looked up, he'd have seen an open Hummel. And if Jackson would've gotten the pass around Robinson, Hummel would have almost certainly had an uncontested layup, as Purdue's spacing would have made it nearly impossible for any of the Jayhawks to help on D.

Even though Hummel's snap decision left him open, the senior said he regretted it afterwards.

"I probably should have just come off the screen," Hummel said, "but he was on top of me, so I tried to back up for a layup."

Hummel described the next few seconds as a scramble.

With Jackson's timid drive cut off by Robinson, Hummel dashes to the perimeter to go get the ball.

When he receives it, Jackson makes a smart play and sets a quick ball screen for him to clear some space.

Remember how well Robinson did switching on the first ball screen above?

He's not as quick to react here. Robinson is late to get to the perimeter to help out Releford on the screen.

The result is Hummel getting off a clean shot on what, a few seconds ago, was a broken play.

"I got a pretty good look," Hummel said. "I thought it was going in. It felt good off my hand. It was just a little bit short. I thought Lewis did a very good job of finding me there, and that's on me to make that one. I just didn't make it."

One last interesting thing on this play: Notice that each KU player, because of Purdue's positioning on the perimeter, has good position for the defensive rebound. Tyshawn Taylor has inside position on Johnson, Conner Teahan has inside position on Ryne Smith and Elijah Johnson has inside position on D.J. Byrd.

Watch what happens, though. Taylor gets caught up in watching the shot and doesn't even attempt to box Johnson out.

With a running start, Johnson deflects the ball away from Teahan, who had kept good rebounding position by staying between Smith and the rim.

The deflected ball zips by Smith before making its way to Robinson.

And here's where Taylor's missed blockout becomes a blessing.

Robinson now has a clear lane to throw cross-court, as Terone Johnson has taken himself out of the play by (correctly) gambling to go for the offensive rebound.

Because Taylor didn't get inside position, that also means he has a head start on the rest of the Boilermakers down the floor. This gives him a two-step advantage for an uncontested dunk to put KU up three.

KU's defense definitely wasn't perfect on the above possession, but as you can see, a missed shot, a blown boxout and a good bounce ended up being enough to get the Jayhawks to the Sweet 16.

Comments

Ben Kane 2 years, 9 months ago

awesome play breakdown Jesse.

waiting for the NC State team breakdown... I'm a monster now, I can't get enough coverage.

FarSideHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

+1. Was going to say the exact same thing.

Jesse's analysis on Purdue was spot-on. Can't wait to get the 411 on NC State.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

I with you Chuck. Great analysis, as always, Jesse. KUsports.com is lucky to have you. Can't wait for the breakdown of the Wolfpack. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

KU_Phogified 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice breakdown Jesse! Fortunately, Hummel didn't continue that back-cut into a post up, although even if he did, T-Rob sagging on the passer would have made for a difficult entry-pass.

Props to our kids for handling the original offensive deployment and subsequent movement in this situation. And I agree that after the shot was taken, there was some good fortune that came our way. Not going to call it luck, but in this tournament, being lucky can at times, be better than being good.

lurkerhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

very cool

certainly Jesse perfectly displays why a lot of luck (intangibles, confounds) determine who advances

John Myers 2 years, 9 months ago

Excellent breakdown of that play, Jesse. And you know something really weird?? I actually got nervous all over again reading it, even though I knew the outcome.. hahaha.. Man, I need help..

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

If you need help, I need help, too! I had a tear coming out of one of my eyes just watching it again. Imagine that!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

mattiesdad 2 years, 9 months ago

Hi, I'm Matt and I'm a Jayhawkaholic.

We may need a group therapy session. I also had this weird sinking feeling Hummel was going to back-door us for a 1 point lead with only 8 secs to go! He was so open!!! But Jackson was mid-dribble, sort of looking down. Shows how intense the game was. My family kicked me out to another room because I was pacing too much.

Great job Jesse, as always. Where are the recap articles? I've gone into withdrawal without them!!

justanotherfan 2 years, 9 months ago

The original switch probably saved us on that backcut. If Jackson doesn't have the bigger Robinson on him, he probably sees the Hummel cut in time to make that pass. But with a bigger guy on him, his vision wasn't as clear into the lane.

VancouverHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice analysis, Jesse. I think you meant that EJ was going for the defensive rebound.

Any thoughts on whether TT did the right thing by dunking? The commentators seem to think he should've dribbled out the clock instead, but I'm not so sure he could've avoided being fouled (and his free throw percentage isn't great - he probably has less than a 50% chance of making both shots).

Stan Unruh 2 years, 9 months ago

After TT's made those 2 huge free throws to hold off Mizzou... he would have no problem vs Purdue.

Armen Kurdian 2 years, 9 months ago

TT probably could have run 1 second off minimum. On the chance he was fouled, I think we were in the double-bonus at that point, so regardless of what happens on the first, you deliberately miss the second, forcing a rebound and a start of the game clock. No way that the ball would have any chance of getting into a shooting position with less than 1.5 seconds on the clock considering it had to be rebounded by someone.

Ben Kane 2 years, 9 months ago

i'd like to see someone ask Self about this. My hunch (I'm no expert) is that BS would always take the points there, but make some aside comment about how the less time on the clock the better.

i contend there was no way TT could have dribbled out the entire 2.5 secs without a foul occuring somewhere. If that statement is true, I would much prefer the guaranteed points than have less time on the clock and be sweating 2 free throws so they don't have a chance for their desperate heave to do anything but tie.

pizzaboy225 2 years, 9 months ago

I have no doubt in my mind that dunking it was the right decision and am shocked by how many people have argued for the dribble out, especially the announcers and Brandon Rush on Twitter. You have to take the three point lead so that OT becomes the worst case scenario (obviously barring an +1 on a three), and I don't see how he could have wasted all 2.5 seconds with two Purdue players within ten feet of him

mom_of_three 2 years, 9 months ago

We discussed whether dunking or running out the clock was the right decision. While dunking gives you guaranteed points (hopefully), and then OT if they make a three. BUT if he would have dribbled out the time, there is not guarantee they would not have fouled him or stolen the ball or, as we have seen a couple of times, lost control and went out of bounds.
I think the dunk was the right call, in this scenario.

cheidorn107 2 years, 9 months ago

Reminded me of LeHigh and Duke -- LeHigh went for the dunks (twice) instead of running clock...foiling Duke's classic tactic of extending the game into infinity with fouls.

Jesse Newell 2 years, 9 months ago

I asked Tyshawn today about what coach Self told him about the play. Here's what Tyshawn said:

"Coach Self said maybe he thought I could have took more time to dunk it, but he said that I have to get those points, because if I dribble it out or get fouled, maybe miss one or two of those free throws, it's the difference between 2.8 seconds and 1.5 seconds. They could have gotten the same exact look they got at the end of the game anyways. You've got to get those points. So at least, they've got to take a tough three anyway."

Ben Kane 2 years, 9 months ago

exactly! in your face stupid announcers and other so-called experts.

thanks jesse.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, really Jesse--thanks! In the back of my mind, Tyshawn did the correct thing---that was to dunk the ball. I usually listen to Bob Davis and Chris Piper. Davis said that in hindsight, maybe Ty should have dribbled it out to the side, but then, Davis a few seconds later said, "hard to make a split-second decision under pressure." CBS announcers, like Chuckberry said, were all in agreement that he should have dribbled it out. I disagree. Get the points.

packywacky88 2 years, 9 months ago

I think either decision would have been the right one, so Taylor chose correctly. Can't argue with putting points on the board.

mandomax 2 years, 9 months ago

Jesse Newell for college basketball analyst of the year!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Where do I need to go to vote? Amen, mandomax.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Where do I need to go to vote? Amen, mandomax.

stinkybulldog 2 years, 9 months ago

Completely agree! Love the way he breaks down the game. He also predicted we would win by 2 points, while Tait said we would win by like 17 points. He knows his stuff! You da man Jesse!

thomc6 2 years, 9 months ago

Interesting analysis....but for Jackson to both see Hummel over Robinson and get a pass by him is a tall order. Also, you could have had a video slow motion of missed KU free throws and analyzed what went wrong or one or two of those missed bunny shots.....those could have changed the outcome, too. It's a funny game that way....

Sam Constance 2 years, 9 months ago

This is exactly what my thinking was as well. From bird's-eye camera view, it's painfully obvious how wide open Hummel was as he audibled to the open basket. I remember catching my heart in my throat as I saw him there cutting towards the basket.

But to Jackson, who is contending with a long and active Robinson, he might not have even seen Hummel come open, or by the time he did, Releford may have already corrected back into the passing lane (he did this actually quite quickly when you watch in real-time). Or maybe he saw him coming open, but didn't think he could thread the needle past Robinson, and preferring to avoid a turnover and preserve the opportunity for a less-risky play.

STLJHawk86 2 years, 9 months ago

i agree wiht thomc6 and marchphog88 - Hummel might have been open for a split second on the back cut but when watched in live action I don't think it was as great an opportunity as it appears to be in still frame shots. It would have taken a great pass from Jackson, assuming that he saw Hummel.
On the other hand, TT failure to box out was obvious and it was surprising Johnson was unable to pull down the offensive rebound. Also even though EJ was in good postion intially, Byrd id a good job of getting around him and almost got the rebound. Great piece Jesse - I really enjoyed it.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 9 months ago

Fantastic analysis. I just have to add that Hummell is an amazing player. Even after he basically carried Purdue by himself the entire game, he is still humble and gracious enough to compliment his teammate and shoulder the blame for the loss: "I thought Lewis did a very good job of finding me there, and that's on me to make that one. I just didn't make it."

Just a fantastic kid all the way around. Although I am beyond thrilled we won and are moving to the next round, I still feel a little sad for Hummell. The kid had an amazing career that was hampered by injuries and he is clearly a great ambassador for Purdue and college basketball.

Now...the pressure is off and it's time for this team to play free and have some fun.

RCJH!!

KGphoto 2 years, 9 months ago

Honestly, I don't think I've seen more mutual respect between two teams after a game. Especially a game like that. Two class programs.

lincase 2 years, 9 months ago

I got my bachelor's degree from KU and my master's degree from Purdue. I was rooting for the Jayhawks all the way, but I was sad for Hummell.

DDDHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree with everything you said. Hummell is a classy warrior, Jessie a great analyst, and it's time for the team to rock and roll!

rick cowley 2 years, 9 months ago

Good job. I only saw about half of that.

Chad Smith 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree that hummel was open for a second there on the back cut, but there are a couple contributing factors and/or reasons to why I don't think the pass was made.

1) Robinson is a foot taller and could have disrupted that pass and maybe the PG didn't see over or around him to make it.

2) if the pg did see hummel, by the time he passed the ball, releford had jumped back over in the lane for a potential steal

3) The pg just tightened up and got caught up in the moment and hesitated. Hey that stuff happens, we're all human.

and it speaks to the fact that the pg looked nervous as the game got closer and wound down, he had a couple different opportunities to make plays and didn't. And to be honest, when johnson saw the opportunity to make a pass (the lob to taylor) he didn't hesitate and it ended up being a huge play for us. Those decisions and fearlessness are why we are moving on and they aren't. I'm not trying to rag on their pg, but point blank our guards made the plays when they mattered and that's the thin line between winning and losing in March.

I feel for Hummel and Purdue, but we played absolutely horrible the 1st half, they shot the ball extremely well and our defense, rebounding, and mental toughness are why we won the game. I'm glad we got a bad game out of our system and were able to survive it.

Steve Kerr had it right when he said the game seemed eerily similar to VCU game, and for most of the game it did. But the main difference between that game and this one is mental fortitude and defense. We locked down in the last 10 min of the game, where in the VCU game they just kept making shots. We made purdue earn their points at the basket and at the foul line and wore them down where with VCU they just kept draining open 3's all game.

I think we will be plenty motivated and reinvigorated in Saint Louis and I expect robinson and withey to play very well against NC State. Do not underestimate the opponent play strong defense and we will do well in the EJ Dome!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

but we played absolutely horrible the 1st half

I disagree with you on this point. I have watched the first half again. We did play prett good. Our shooting was horrible but not overall playing.

Our D and rebounding was quite good. Purdue was simply shooting lights off everything in first half. This is why HCBS kept saying that we can win the game as he knew that his team is playing good ball and is doing well on rebounding and at some point shooting has to even out.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 9 months ago

If you watch the previous play which led to the EJ fastbreak, Purdue seems to go to a "prevent offense", appearing as if they were just going to have the PG fire up a shot clock beating shot. Purdue had great ball movement all game (i'm no expert, so I may be wrong on that) and seemed to abandon it when that play happened.

I was glad to see this analysis, as i watched the entire video. I was in a pretty bad mood the way the 'Hawks were seemingly throwing away another season with a subpar effort. I didn't really appreciate how exciting that last minute was.

rhollinshed 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice breakdown Jesse! That is reading I enjoy! Glad things went our way! RCJH!

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

This is from Yahoo Sports on NC State Scouting Report: The Wolfpack has a good blend of interior and perimeter scoring options and that balance has been reflected with five players averaging in double figures for most of the season. F C.J. Leslie has raised his performance for the past month as he’s the team’s leading scorer for the second year in a row. F Scott Wood is one of the ACC’s active leaders in 3-point shooting as a junior and he’s had an ACC record of consecutive made free throws earlier in the season. G Lorenzo Brown has made a relatively smooth transition to point guard as a sophomore and his athleticism adds another element at that position. F Richard Howell is the second-best rebounder in the ACC, though he’s prone to foul trouble.

Futures Watch: The Wolfpack made it to the postseason with a limited amount of depth, but it hasn’t stopped it in the NCAA Tournament. N.C. State goes with a seven-player rotation for the most part. Even with senior G C.J. Williams’ impending departure and the uncertain status of forward C.J. Leslie, who could be tempted to jump to the professional level, there should be a replenished roster as coach Mark Gottfried’s first full recruiting class will arrive highly rated. Gottfried adapted well to the limited number of players in his rotation, though foul troubles, especially for junior F Richard Howell, tended to complicate matters at times. The influx of new players, though, should fill in the gaps.

Regular Season Review: The Wolfpack took care of business in most games that it should have won and that tended to be an upgrade from some past teams. Playing at times a rigorous schedule, the rap on the Wolfpack is that it didn’t win enough of the big-time games, but at least it was competitive in those and performances such as those might have created a good foundation. It was a breakthrough season for senior G C.J. Williams and it eventually became a season during which sophomore C.J. Leslie lived up to his reputation.

Roster Report:
• Sophomore F C.J. Leslie made two free throws late in the second half against Georgetown. He’s shooting less than 60 percent on foul shots for the season, though he’s the N.C. State player most often going to the line.

• Junior G Scott Wood missed two free throws in the game against Georgetown, taking a little shine of his status as the ACC leader in that category. His offense, though, is crucial to the Wolfpack, which is 21-4 this season when he scores in double figures.

• Sophomore G Lorenzo Brown has averaged 6.4 assists per game. That’s the most for a Wolfpack player in 21 seasons, when Chris Corchiani posted 9.6 assists per game. Brown is the first N.C. State player to average more than 4.6 assists in a season since Corchiani.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

Any geeks out there know how to save these types of clips?

packywacky88 2 years, 9 months ago

Download & install RealPlayer. During the Youtube video, just cursor over the upper right corner and a download box will appear. works for most videos and even allows you to convert to may media formats after download. And, its free.

jgkojak 2 years, 9 months ago

This is the kind of analysis that is completely missing from our local TV sportscasts-

fascinating - and it really does explain how that last possession happened.

By the way, Tyshawn did the correct thing scoring the basket - it guarantees we are up 3, no worse than overtime. Had he tried to run the clock out, he would have been fouled.

If he misses a foul shot, they have a chance for a cross court pass and a Hummel 24-footer for the win, instead of the under 1 second left shot for the tie.

You always take pts if they're handed to you.

(Its also risky for him to just throw the ball high in the air, hoping it takes more than 3 sec. to come down - remember, he probably doesn't know exactly how much time is left).

George Dugger 2 years, 9 months ago

If , as the TV announcer indicated, Withey touched the ball on the inbounds pass, then time should have expired before Purdue's final shot. Can anyone verify that, indeed, Withey tipped the pass.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 9 months ago

Funny thing is that I mentioned exactly what HCBS did in this game on RCST to Mr. Hanni right after Davidson lit us up from 3-point land and he essentially discredited my comment on air. Apparently, when you do face a good 3-point shooting team, it ends up working better to switch on ball screens instead of hedging. Thanks for pointing that out in the article Jesse. Nice to be right every now and again!

machinegun 2 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn was cheating on D just as he had done prior to the alley oop from Elijah! Long shot...long rebound. Remember, T-Rob got the rebound outside the 3-point line and threw a bullet pass to the "Speedster" who was determined to score. Unreasonable risk? I don't think so.

Anyone realize how fast Ty had to be to successfully execute both of those scoring plays? Check the replays. Ty went the length of the court both times in less than 3 seconds. Should he slow down next time to take time off the clock? I don't think so.

And some folks want to question Ty scoring rather than running out the clock. Crazy stuff! You always take the points!

skye 2 years, 9 months ago

Great read Jesse. I'm always impressed with your breakdowns.

Jim Dickerson 2 years, 9 months ago

Jesse-- another absolutely fantastic job. If coach Self ever leaves or retires, I am nominating you to replace him. Any seconds?

deepind 2 years, 9 months ago

Qualification for a KU basketball coach... this quote is a classic!

"The caliber of coach that is hired there (KU) just about has to go in a phone booth, and come out with an S on his chest." - Drue Jennings, interim AD that hired Self.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Great read, Jesse. I extend my "Mahalo" for the great breakdown and analysis. Just goes to show that when all of us armchair quarterbacks think we know it all, there's always something else we do not know or recognize till it's pointed out, even when it's staring at us right in the face (ie. On the TV as we re-watch the game, that is.)

nwhawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

Way to go Jesse, not just for the analysis but for getting the followup info from Tyshawn. Now that's what I call hustle!

nwhawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

I was about to throw a major fit when Pardon The Interruption mentioned that today is the second anniversary of the Ali Farokhmanesh 3-pointer. Jesse's article & breakdown made for a great antidote.

That said, I don't want to have that feeling again anytime soon.

NO MORE UPSETS ! LET'S GO HAWKS !

VaJay 2 years, 9 months ago

Prior to the back-cut, Hummel shoves Releford in order to get some space & even then, Releford recovers so fast that there's not really a clear path for Jackson to feed him for that layup. Whoever complains about Travis's defense should be forced to watch this. He did a great job all second half and especially at the end.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

Excellent read and breakdown as always.

Looking at the replay screenshot in slow motion. I see how open Hummel was; however the pass would have been somewhat difficult.

1) An alley-oop would have been a safe and easy play. 2) A bounce pass would have probably been kicked. 3) I believe the PG is right handed and although he could pass left or right, this would have had to been a zinger with his left hand to get it past TRob and the other defender. I would have imagined if he had it in his right hand, it would have been an easier toss.

Anyways, here is to playing great lockdown defense for the final 59 seconds, and expecially during the last 23.3 seconds.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

On the TT dribble out the clock or not, I think reflux wise you are going to score. Only if you are 100% sure that you dribble the clock out do you avoid the points. I think it would have been 1) difficult to know for sure how much time was left 2) If you do dribble it out, the way the refs were letting them play there was a good chance that they would have let them mug TT without calling a foul, possibly causing a Turnover with only a 1 point lead. Even if you get the foul, no guarantee of the two points.

Of course if you dribble the clock out, you win, if you get the foul and hit both free throws you come out ahead, but I would agree with HCBS' comments you take the 3 point lead and lock down on defense for another 2.5 seconds (which they did).

Kudos to all of the players including TT's dunk.

JayhawkDebate 2 years, 9 months ago

I really like how you considered the decision from T2's perspective, i.e., from the circumstances he could have known at the time.

Let's say he catches a glance of the clock, notices about 3.5 seconds, and ponders whether to dribble out the game. He still doesn't know exactly how much ground he has on Purdue's defenders. He knows he can outrun them, but dribbling out the clock is not the same as running full speed for a dunk. And it's true that he trains for split second, high intensity decisions; but, again, how much of that training goes into stealing the ball, running full speed at the basket, checking your emotions, finding the clock, finding the defenders, and then deciding whether or not to dribble out the clock?

T2 says he thought about dribbling out, but it's unclear whether he knew how much time there was or how close the defenders were. Honestly, that's a lot of stuff to think about in 1 or 2 seconds as he sprints full speed toward a dunk that seals the win. And not just any win, but this win--we all know how important it was to him and us.

Technically, the dunk didn't seal the win. But now we are also expecting T2 to consider the likelihood that Purdue could make a last second 3 pointer. All of that in 1 or 2 seconds? It only makes sense in hindsight.

Just dunk the ball.

aaaKU 2 years, 9 months ago

really good stuff, thanks for the hard work Jesse. more breakdowns and statistical analyst please. Keep it up!

lurkerhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

If you watch the video closely, you can see Hudy shoving someone when Taylor makes the dunk to put the game away.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Okay, lurkerhawk, you stirred my curiosity. So, like all intense Jayhawk fans, I had to watch it again to see if you just "pulling my leg." Yep, you're right---it looks like a team manager, or, someone on that level, who she pushes. Classic!!!!!!!!!

Thomas Thompson 2 years, 9 months ago

Good article, I really enjoyed the analysis.

Greg Lux 2 years, 9 months ago

Jesse says "Robinson now has a clear lane to throw cross-court, as Johnson has taken himself out of the play by (correctly) gambling to go for the offensive rebound"

Nice run through Jesse... Just one correction .. Johnson was going after a Defensive Rebound..

And over the year it's not uncommon for TT to not block out and be watching the game. He is very good at that part.

Jesse Newell 2 years, 9 months ago

Actually, I'm talking about Purdue's Terone Johnson there ... the guy that ran by Taylor to go for the rebound. I added his first name above so hopefully it's less confusing.

Eric Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

Am I correct that Connor actually partially got the rebound on that Robbie Hummel miss? It looks like he jumped and batted it, or sort of swept it, to Thomas. It doesn't look to me like any Purdue players touched it. But maybe it's the angle.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Thought the same. The ball does seem to change path slightly as it passes through Conner's area. I'd say 90% chance he re-directed it to Robinson. Either way, the Jayhawk basketball gods were in KU's favor on that play.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 9 months ago

Very nice Jesse. I have one question: When Robinson and Hummel were shaking hands after the game, I could swear that Hummel looked at least one inch taller than Robinson and I am pretty sure it was not the camera angle. Hummel is listed at 6'-8" and Robinson at 6'-10"...any ideas? Also, I have seen Robinson next to Manning (6'-11") and Danny look taller than one inch. How tall is TRob, really?

Chad Smith 2 years, 9 months ago

Taylor did absolutely the right thing by dunking it.
Think about having to shoot two free throws in that crunch time when a dunk and good D wins you the game instead! Which is what happened! Hawks had been playing great D the past 5-10 min and barring a 3 point make and foul on the shot, the worst case scenario is OT and we had the momentum. I didn't even second guess when the commentators said he should have kept it. I thought to myself, GREAT PLAY, we're going to St. Louis!

jayhawker_97 2 years, 9 months ago

good analysis. i didn't realize how open Hummel was cutting in till i saw those breakdowns. aren't we lucky?

RockChalkHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Jesse - nice work. One thing I saw that hasn't been mentioned in the posts above - when Hummel backcuts Relaford, he gives Travis a subtle but effective push off with his left hand that helps give him momentum going back to the basket. Go back and watch, it's there. A veteran move. Though it could have been called an offensive foul, no way these refs (led by our old favorite, the wildly incompetent Higgins) call it in an endgame situation against a star player in a huge tournament game.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 9 months ago

It's good analysis, no doubt. so many things happen on a basketball court that are missed by players....everything is happening so fast and pressure of the situation. that's where you need to have that "see thing in slow motion" mode.

the play before, when Elijah got the steal, and the PG was just dribbling around, he had an EASY path to the basket for a couple of seconds....he had gotten by Tyshawn and the Purdue kid had TRob screened on his backside....if he would have kept at it, he had a wide open layup.

but again, the pressure and past results. We had some blocks on him and he had missed some layups.....it all plays in the mind in crunch time. Go Jayhawks!

DrPepper 2 years, 9 months ago

Jackson, the 5'9" senior point guard, seems to be on the short end of a lot of those plays. He couldn't see easily around Robinson, but twice he didn't pickup the jayhawk cutting for a jam (he could have picked up TT before the oop came from EJ; he was the last line of defense against TT going the length of the court and Jackson didn't even attempt to track down TT on the breakaway). Jackson is also the one who lost the ball, allowing EJ to get the steal. I don't mean to bag on a kid I don't know. It was just something I noticed in these replays at the end of the game. It was a heck of a game.

justanotherfan 2 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn made the right play to dunk the ball at the end.

In rewatching the play several times, TT had to really turn up the speed to avoid the foul at half court. At that point he's at top speed. By the time he's safely away from the first guy attempting to take the foul, he's inside the three point line. It's going to take him a minimum of one more stride (maybe two depending on how his steps are when he makes that decision) to change his course from a beeline to the rim out to the far left corner. He's going to have to slow down to do this, whereas if he continues to the rim, he won't have to change speeds. There are 3 Purdue players chasing, two of them guards who can probably catch TT fairly quickly if he slows down even a little because they are sprinting his way. Notice how close they were to TT until they realized he was going to dunk.

If he had slowed down, here is a list of the things that could happen. Almost all of them are bad.

TT could mishandle the ball as he is slowing down, losing it out of bounds. TT could get the ball stolen from behind trying to slow down without losing the ball. TT could get fouled and miss both. TT could get fouled and miss one. TT could get fouled and make both. TT could dribble out the clock.

That's six possible outcomes. One puts us in as good a position as TT dunking (two made free throws). One puts us in better position (clock runs out). The others put us in a variety of worse situations. Two give Purdue the ball with roughly the same amount of time as they had to get their final shot, but with us up only one, meaning we have to defend the entire floor (not just a three) because ANY shot beats us. The free throw scenarios mean that we have to get a rebound to secure a win, or, if TT makes the second FT, defend the whole floor against a game tying or game winning shot.

I'd rather just have the dunk to go up three.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

Great analysis, Jesse. A question, maybe its just me, but it appears that Conner made a brilliant touch shovel pass to TRob on the rebound rather than it being deflected off his hands. your thoughts?

Chad Dexter 2 years, 9 months ago

Great breakdown of the play. After the rebound I can't figure out where the 5th Purdue player is. I think it was Hummel but I only see 4 Purdue players. What happened? Where is #5?

Chad Dexter 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh, never mind. I went back and looked at it one more time and I finally saw Hummel along the sideline. He runs into a ref and falls down.

imaboiler 2 years, 9 months ago

As a huge Purdue Fan I would like to compliment the Kansas fans. You guys are some of the classiest, most respectful, knowledgable fans I have come across. That was a fantastic game where both teams played their hearts out and if Purdue had to lose at least it was to a great, hard working team. Now that Purdue is out of the touney I will be cheering RCJH for the rest of the NCAA's.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 9 months ago

Purdue is also the home of classy and knowledgeable fans. I guess you owed us one from what he the "Big Dog" did to us in 1994. Keady ran a great program and Painter has continued the tradition; both great coaches and classy individuals. If you are a big BBall fan, you must put in your bucket list a visit to Allen Field House, the cathedral of college BBall; I am sure you would find the experience truly memorable.

RCJH KU