Markieff's career day pushes him to top of ratings

1. Markieff Morris: Bounced back from a three-point, zero-rebound non-performance in K-State loss to have the best game of his career. Relentlessly hit the boards, skillfully passed out of double-teams and produced 26 points, 15 rebounds (eight offensive), two assists, two blocked shots and two steals.

2. Brady Morningstar: Out-played Colorado star Alec Burks, flustering him into taking tough shots. Morningstar scored all of his 16 points in the first half, attempted one shot in the second half, and finished with five assists, two steals and no turnovers. Made 4 of 6 three-point shots and is 21-for-35 from long range in his past eight games.

3. Marcus Morris: Nearly joined his brother with a double-double, chipping in with 16 points, nine rebounds and two assists.

4. Tyrel Reed: Made 3 of 4 three-point shots and totaled 13 points, three rebounds, two assists and two turnovers.

5. Tyshawn Taylor: Made 3 of 4 three-point shots and had five assists, but still had too many turnovers (four).

6. Josh Selby: Couldn’t hit his shots and didn’t have a great defensive performance, but did penetrate and dish nicely and finished with five assists in 21 minutes. Foot still isn’t 100 percent, but has improved.

7. Jeff Withey: Made a nice move in hitting a bank shot and blocked a shot in eight minutes.

8. Elijah Johnson: In an active nine minutes, he missed a pair of three-point shots, had three rebounds, two fouls, two assists, two turnovers and one blocked shot. Has made 3 of 14 threes in the past 11 games.

9. Travis Releford: Flushed it after Selby bounced a fancy lob for him high off the floor for KU’s final bucket.

10. Mario Little: Played 10 scoreless minutes and picked up one rebound and three fouls.

11. Royce Woolridge: Played the final minute and missed a three. For the season, he has played 40 minutes and has produced nine points, seven rebounds and nine assists with three turnovers. He’s made 3 of 12 shots and 1 of 5 three-pointers.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Marcus Morris (219 points)
2. Markieff Morris (204 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (176 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (159 points)
5. Brady Morningstar (157 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (146 points)
7. Josh Selby (96 points)
8. Travis Releford (94 points)
9. Mario Little (90 points)
10. Elijah Johnson (78 points)
11. Jeff Withey (55 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (5 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 standings
1. Marcus Morris (102 points)
2. Brady Morningstar (91 points)
3. Markieff Morris (88 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (77 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (67 points)
6. Mario Little (56 points)
7. Thomas Robinson (52 points)
8. Josh Selby (49 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (28 points)
10. Travis Releford (23 points)
11. Jeff Withey (22 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (1 point)

;

Comments

HawkKlaw 3 years, 1 month ago

So many Brady haters...

Morningstar is awesome, in my opinion. He may not have all the stats, but there's a reason why Bill Self has stuck with him for so many years (remember when he started every game during the 2008-2009 regular season?). And that reason is his defense. Maybe he doesn't have "elite" speed, but he undeniably plays solid defense. That's something this team really needs. And he hits his free throws, for the most part. That's more than we can say for a lot of the players this year. When tournament time rolls around, we're going to need Brady to hit some free throws for us. We don't need Brady to drive the lane and drain 3's (although he certainly can light up the three point line on occasion). I've always loved the idea that a Lawrence kid is such a huge part of KU basketball.

...Plus Brady gets bonus points for shaking my hand when I saw him at the Damian Marley/Nas concert.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I was really outspoken in declaring that Royce might best consider redshirting. However, it did not appear that Bill Self pushed for that to happen. Perhaps, even though Royce played a super year of Arizona high school basketball, there was still some question about his being a fit for Jayhawk ball. He did commit early, and Kansas seemed to be well set for guards at the 1 and 2 positions by the time he arrived. That being said, he does appear to be a jewel for the future, if he spends 4 or 5 years in the program. His 40 minute statline ain't too shabby.

Michael Luby 3 years, 1 month ago

Keegs, I really think you should switch Tyshawn and Selby's rank. Sure Tyshawn had a better shooting night but Selby played the point better when he was on the ball and didnt turn it over nearly as much.

Greg Lux 3 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if Royce Woolridge wishes he had said Yes to the redshirt request? I sure wish he would have said yes.

Rock Chalk

LAJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Brady in conference play is shooting 52.4% from 3 with an assist to TO ratio of 12.1..... yeah, 12.1... sweet merciful crap. 85 assists to 7 TOs in all of conference play.

Those numbers are what you might call good.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

Like the Cox Communications commercial says, "You da man! No, you da man!"

No, Kieff, you da man against Colorado! Nice!

ralphralph 3 years, 1 month ago

actorman 3 years, 1 month ago

"Somebody needs to tell EJ just to pass the ball."

Hey, if I wanted the ball to be thrown 10 feet over someone's head, I'd do it myself.

Seriously, I'm not sure that passing is much of an improvement for EJ these days ...

jhox 3 years, 1 month ago

I have to say, I'm loving how stupid all of the Brady haters are looking these days. You guys love statistics, let's talk statistics. I understand he lead the Big 12 in 3 point percentage going into today (not confirmed, but I heard that on the radio and presume it true), as well as in assist to turnover ratio. Today just padded those numbers. Oh, and Coach Self considers him one of the best defenders on the team.

We better put him on the bench. He's not a contributor... There's a reason you haters are not coaches.

I would argue the team was better with him in the line up even when he wasn't hitting his shots. He's a glue guy. Now that the shots are falling, even you haters have to be taking notice.

Robert Brock 3 years, 1 month ago

Somebody needs to tell EJ just to pass the ball.

William Blake 3 years, 1 month ago

Welcome back, Kieff! Monster perfomance!

Brady came up big. I had a feeling a month ago he would find a way to make a big impact on this team!

I'd comment more, but we didn't get to watch much of the game. The first 10 minutes of the game clock happened before the network switched over from the Pitt upset. They had to interview the water boy and janitor first... Then they cut our game off in the second half to show us the Texas loss... including all their timeouts and just standing around. So we experienced just a tad over half the game.

ESPN stinks! I don't care if it is a blowout, the program guide said "Kansas vs Colorado." If I wanted to watch Texas, I'd grow a dumb 70's handlebar mustache, chew tobacco, drink Lone Star and date my sister (or my dog, depending on how much I drank).

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 1 month ago

Ratings sound about right. Keep voting for Tyrel. Might help some of the east coast bias. http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/mens_basketball_2010-11/ Great job Jayhawks.

oldalum 3 years, 1 month ago

You might want to recheck Tyrel Reed's line. You have him with three assists and two assists. Is one of those steals?