Monday, October 21, 2019

KU announces multiyear agreement to reignite Border Showdown rivalry with Missouri

Kansas head coach Bill Self raises up the fieldhouse following the Jayhawks' 87-86 overtime win over Missouri on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012.

The Border War is back.

Officially called The Border Showdown these days, the annual clash between longtime and bitter rivals Kansas and Missouri will return to the men’s basketball schedule beginning with the 2020-21 season.

KU officials on Monday night announced the creation of a six-game series between the Jayhawks and Tigers that will begin next season and feature two games at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. (in 2020-21 and 2025-26), two games at Allen Fieldhouse (2021-22 and 2023-24) and two games in Columbia, Mo. (2022-23 and 2024-25).

“We all felt the timing is right to renew the rivalry,” said KU coach Bill Self, noting that KU Athletic Director Jeff Long and other Kansas coaches were in agreement. “Even though we haven’t played the last few years, I know it was something our players and fans missed, and so did I.”

Although Kansas and Missouri have faced each other in both volleyball and softball on a couple of occasions since Missouri left the Big 12 Conference in 2012, those came in the postseason and were not scheduled by either school.

Technically, it was the Kansas baseball program, in the spring of 2012, that played the final scheduled game with the Tigers. But by far the most notable final meeting came earlier that year, when the KU basketball team came from 19 down in the second half to win an epic game at Allen Fieldhouse.

The lasting images of that battle include Self throwing his arms into the air and letting out a loud roar after the final horn sounded and Thomas Robinson blocking a shot by Phil Pressey in the final seconds of regulation to force overtime.

Many players, fans and coaches who were there on Feb. 25, 2012, said KU’s 87-86 overtime win over the Tigers was the loudest Allen Fieldhouse has ever been.

After a five-year break, KU and Missouri dabbled with a reunion in October of 2017, playing an exhibition game against one another at Sprint Center to raise money for hurricane relief. KU won that one, dubbed the “Showdown for Relief,” and Self said the response to the 93-87 Kansas victory, which was “far greater” than he expected, played a role in creating the new series.

“Having coached a lot of games versus Missouri in my time here at Kansas, I could not be more excited to start this series up again,” said Self, who had maintained a strong stance against restarting the rivalry throughout the past seven years. “This is a great experience for all basketball fans and I look forward to the rivalry being reignited in Kansas City next season and then bringing it back home to Allen Fieldhouse the following year.”

Once it happens, the KU men’s basketball team will have played regular season games against all four schools that left the Big 12 — Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska and Texas A&M; — during the crazy days of conference realignment.

The Kansas-Missouri basketball series, which was known until 2012 as the longest continuous series west of the Mississippi River in college athletics, dates back to 1907, when the Jayhawks and Tigers met on back-to-back days in Lawrence on March 11-12, both Missouri wins. Those contests were the first of 269 meetings between the border rivals over the next 105 years, with the Jayhawks building a 174-95 edge in the all-time series.

Kansas is 89-33 at home against Missouri, including a 42-14 mark in Allen Fieldhouse, and owns a 65-53 edge in games played in Columbia.

“One of the best aspects of college athletics is rivalries,” Long said in a news release. “And we are thrilled that our fans and student-athletes will get to experience this Border Showdown rivalry once-again. We have quietly sought input from fans and supporters on the renewal of this series and we believe the overriding sentiments are that this historic rivalry should resume. While this series does not include each of our sports teams competing in the Border Showdown at this stage, we feel this is the first step to expanding it in the future. We are excited for this rivalry to begin anew next year and believe it will be great for all fans of college basketball.”

Comments

Drew Doerfler 1 month ago

once again, money trumps everything.....payday.......screw MU.......and screw Long for doing this

Michael Leiker 1 month ago

Agree, obvious money grab. All this does is help Mizzou.

Eric TheCapn 1 month ago

Yep. We don't need this. Mizzou does, and they're the ones who bolted for browner pastures....

Doug Wallace 4 weeks, 1 day ago

If it was such a Big deal for Us KU fans and the Big 12 giving money and or helping Misery why do they still do the Big 12 Tourney in Kansas City Missouri?Where is the money grab worry about giving the state of Misery all the Big 12 Tourney money!5 States in the conference do not get to host a tourney just saying!

Steven Haag 1 month ago

Agreed. We should never, ever play them again, unless it’s in the tournament

Eric Dawson 1 month ago

Not only NO! HELL NO!

No one I know wants this back. It’s been nice these past few years without playing them.

Michael Leiker 1 month ago

Football, maybe, but giving them this game on their schedule for 6 years, are we trying to revive their program?

Dane Pratt 1 month ago

No, if we are going to play them let's do it in a sport we are good at.

Greg Ledom 1 month ago

I’m all for it and never thought it should have ended. I’m in favor of inflicting basketball supremacy pain on Misery year in and year out. Let the fellas lace em up, toss it up and get after it!! Can’t come soon enough. Rock Chalk!!

Eric TheCapn 1 month ago

I'm all for it if you can guarantee we win all six. :) I used to cover KU sports as a photographer, and their fans (not all of them) were the worst. I feel like this is just a favor to a school, program, and group of fans I can't stand.

Steve Quatrocky 1 month ago

Plenty of self inflicted Misery during the interim, not sure if they can stand one more year of it, let alone 6 straight.

Ryan Mullen 1 month ago

Good job Long 100% support this. Time to let pride go and start whooping dat Mizzou ass again.

Bryce Landon 1 month ago

And it's time to show Missouri that we're not afraid of scheduling them!

Dane Pratt 1 month ago

What's this showdown crap. Call it what it is, the Border War.

Would rather have it in the Sprint Center every year.

Bryce Landon 1 month ago

Woohoo! I was initially in favor of never scheduling Mizzou again, but after the Hurricane Relief Exhibition game in 2017-18, I changed my mind. It'll be great to rack up another six straight wins on Mizzoodle!

Now let's see about getting Wichita State on the schedule as well!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Screw Miz-Who!

Joe Ross 4 weeks, 1 day ago

What do you care what Kansas does or who they schedule?

The Hawkeyes are on TV. Go check ya bois...

Bryce Landon 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Hey dumbass, how many times do we have to cover this? I root for Iowa in football and Kansas in basketball. My Kansas basketball loyalty is untouchable, but football is another story.

Marty Sedlacek 1 month ago

You’re welcome Mizzou. Don’t ever say we didn’t do anything for you. This. Changes. Everything. For Mizzou!

Mike Morris 1 month ago

I think it's great! I was at KU back in the late 80's/early 90's. Those were some of the best games ever! And I really, really miss having someone to hate! :-)

Eric TheCapn 1 month ago

Iowa State and their cry-clown fans!

Bryce Landon 1 month ago

Nobody hates the Cry-Clowns more than I do.

Kenneth Johnson 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Living in Des Moines, I have to put up with that Clone crap all the time.

Allin Herring 1 month ago

This benefits Mizzou more than us, Just another bad decision by Long and Self. Maybe they will have Snoop Dog play at half time.

Ben Berglund 1 month ago

I like it. I just cant match the level of vitriol for Mizzou with anyone else

Mike Morris 1 month ago

Exactly! It just was next-level animosity when they came to town. The nation touts Duke-UNC as the best rivalry, but this one started in the Civil Freakin' War! You can't have much more of an intense rival than that! RCJH! Muck Fizzou!

Suzi Marshall 1 month ago

I was totally against ever playing Missouri again until my son attended (and graduated from) Kansas. I felt bad for him and the other students that they did not get to share in the excitement around the Missouri basketball and football (baseball, vball, etc) rivalry games. That rivalry was born in Civil War and was amongst the very best in the country. I suspect it will take some time to rebuild the intensity but if the first game re-ignited the intensity, it would be much of a surprise.

Sae Thirtysix 1 month ago

Nope. Very poor decision. Without league affiliation, without home & away, this isn’t and will never scratch the surface of rivalry. Fact.

Doug Wallace 1 month ago

Hey do not get down on Jeff Long he appears to be doing good for all of KU Athletics!Something we need and we havent had for a long time!At least he is looking out for all of KU Sports!

Come on people think! Before you go off and hearing over and over Misery leaving and them being traitors and all that B.S. hey did we not learn anything yet from the Saturday football game vs the Shorthorns?We had one of the best games they almost won and was a interesting game even if we lost it was close and we couldnt watch it!Im no misery fan, but This Longhorn Network and Texas Longhorn B.S. is the reason Nebraska,Colorado, Texas A&M and Misery left the conference!We couldnt see it because the Shorthorns have their own network and opposed a Big 12 network!Every major conference (B1G, Pac-12, SEC, and ACC) got a network and we never will the way things are!Bfore we go on these rants against Misery Like I said no fan of them but lets remeber the real problem with our conference! Also TCU and West Virginia havent lived up to great expectations either!

On the whole I can go either way on this Misery game every year!Id like to see KU Basketball play a good opponent from the Pac-12,SEC,ACC, and B1G!If Misery fits in and has a decent record well so be it otherwise ill pass if the team overall sucks!

Jeffery Stadler 1 month ago

This is the equivalent of finally getting all of the rats out of your house then after 8 years starting a rat colony in your living room.

Joe Black 1 month ago

This reminds me of the WSU fans in Wichita whining about the Jayhawks being afraid to schedule them. The problem is this, if KU wins it doesn't help them in any way shape or form but it WSU wins then its pastered all over billboards in Wichita and used as recruiting tool. The same is true of playing MU in basketball. It doesn't help KU at all but could be very beneficial to MU. Not a fan of this decision at all.

John Strayer 1 month ago

Agreed...MU has everything to gain from this...KU has nothing to gain and everything to lose...now that it's done KU better not lose these games.

Jeff Cuttell 4 weeks, 1 day ago

The state of Missouri has some very good players coming from it. You wouldn't know it by looking at the Tigers roster most years, but it will feel good to have more ties to that state in order to steal the best players from them.

Brad Avery 1 month ago

From the Athletic:

Kansas’ Jeff Long and his Missouri counterpart Jim Sterk knew each other and had a strong relationship from when Long was in the SEC at Arkansas. Long’s daughter attends Mizzou. The ADs worked together and made it happen, the news about making me fall out of my chair when it appeared in the inbox on Monday night.

Did KU know that Long had a kid at Little Mo when we hired him?

Jeff Foster 1 month ago

Self, Long and KU caved on this one. Only winner here is mu. They leave the league and the rivalry, whine for a few years, AND they get their super bowl game back. Utterly ridiculous. Neither Long nor Sterk know anything about how toxic and hateful this rivalry became. I'm all for rivalries, but the venom that was spewed both ways wasn't fun. #firejefflong

Doug Wallace 4 weeks, 1 day ago

NO WRONG!

It started when the Little 12-2 caved in and let the Big 12 tournament Basketball stayed in Kansas City Missouri!

When Misery left it should have left!When Maryland left the ACC for the B1G There were no more ACC Anythingn tourneys or anything ACC I in Baltimore or Maryland!

Tony Bandle 1 month ago

Random Thoughts:

1] $$$$$$$$$$$$$...for sure.

2] Still, it will be fun to kick MU butt once a year. Once again I can lord it over all the Tigger fans here in St,Louis!

3] Contrary to some of the opinions expressed, I always was bothered that the impression from the outside world was that WE looked like whinny bitches for not continuing the rivalry.

4] No offense, Jeff, but isn't spewed venom exactly what bitter rivalries are all about? Talk to Ohio State and Michigan fans!!

5] Maybe this is a hint Bill won't be back next year?

6] Bryce, careful young man, my sister-in-law reads this blog and is an ISU Amazon Warrior Alum defending the ISU banner!! :)

Dane Pratt 1 month ago

Of all the participants, the coaches, players and (student) fans, no one appreciates the gravity of playing in this rivalry more than Bill Self. He is the only one on both sides who has lived it. His dislike of mizzou probably started before he came to Lawrence when the dips### AD at mizzou picked Quin Snyder over him. Thank you Mike Alden.

Glen Miller 1 month ago

Some of y'all need to let go and stop being so bitter. Not everything we do has to benefit us in recruiting or gain us something, sometimes it's about taking care of the fans and supporters of the school. This was the right move and I personally know a lot of KU alumni and fans that wanted this back and are stoked. Many of us never wanted it to go away in the first place. Mizzou went to the SEC at a time when nobody knew if the Big 12 would stay together. Was it a bad deal for KU, sure....... but if we'd have jumped ship I am sure that you same people crying foul would have been praising our administrators. I think some folks just like to complain, that's just the way our society rolls now........... Having this rivalry back will help our program as it gives us back that game and atmosphere that only Missery can create. Saying this won't help us in any way is just plain ignorance. KSU has been a prefabricated rivalry, Missouri is and has always been our rival. We need this just as much as they do.

Dale Stringer 1 month ago

2012 MU President = resigned in disgrace 2012 MU Chancellor = resigned in disgrace 2012 MU Athletic Director = resigned in disgrace 2012 MU Men's Basketball Coach = FIRED 2012 MU Football Coach = Retired for legit health reason before he could be fired

The ring leaders are all gone that took them away. So now I don't have a problem with playing them again.

Cora Smith 1 month ago

Those of you who favor playing Missouri obviously do not remember how the Antlers of Missouri treated Roy Williams concerning his mother who had died. They are the scum of the earth and we should not be a part of this.

Titus Canby 1 month ago

Good idea from an economic perspective. Bad idea as it relates to integrity.

We're doing them a favor. Instead, they should go f*** themselves.

Given that, it will be fun to kick their butts in Paige Arena.

Steve Quatrocky 1 month ago

I could have done without it, but I guess its the price of firing/hiring a new AD, whose daughter is a Tiger. I have enjoyed the de-escalation of the hatred, we have enough of that already from the mainstream media, dont need any further fuel for the fire. Makes sense from a financial standpoint, but being all about the Benjamins is exactly why Mizzou left.

Ben Zeppa 1 month ago

Love what Jeff Long is doing in football, but this makes so little sense to me. The fanbase was not clamoring for this and it benefits MU's irrelevant basketball team, not ours... so I'm left asking why now?

Freedman Moor 1 month ago

This is a bad idea for the same reason why US presidents should not meet with brutal dictators (or in this case ****tasters) without precondition--it legitimizes them. These meetings should only have been approved after Mizzou unequivocally agreed to complete, verifiable, and irreversible demolition of their sports program...and "educational" program...and pretty much anything Mizzou related.

Freedman Moor 4 weeks, 1 day ago

I guess this was a little to advanced for this crowd.

Titus Canby 4 weeks, 1 day ago

A perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Kyle Neuer 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Muck Fizzou.
Can't get behind this sorry grab for cash, especially the games in KC.

Mallory Briggans 4 weeks, 1 day ago

guess those who think its a terrible idea wont be watching................lol

Gary McCullough 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Can we stop calling it the Border Showdown and go back to the Border War? We changed it back when our troops in Iraq were getting hammered. Using "War" in the title looked like it was trivializing a term that was deadly serious. But I think its time to bring back the Border War because they treated us like Kurds: first saying they would stay with the Conference, then sneak out of town in the dead of night. Damn right its a WAR!

Jay Hawkinson 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Look, we needed to pause the series for a time to punish them for the leaving the conference. Do they benefit more than we do? Only if they win a few of these, and even then it's not a very big benefit. Noncon basketball just isn't that important. So why not play fun, interesting games?

Football is a different story. We should be scheduling our way to as many wins as possible, so playing them makes zero sense.

Fred Lucky 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Geez, I hope they show it on the Long Horn Network so all the folks in Texas can watch. I know this isn't about football but KU should be ashamed that the game against Texas this past weekend was not on accessible TV in Kansas.

Matt Stone 4 weeks, 1 day ago

I am ready for this showdown. I hate Mizlose as much as the next guy but at some point you have to get over it and move on. All these fans that hate Roy it's the same thing. Roy was amazing for our program and have nothing but respect for the guy. Who cares if he left us for his Alma Mater, isn't that to be expected with any coach. Lets move on and embrace this rivalry again. #RCJH

Jason Hines 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Got to replace that Adidas money somehow!

Steven Haag 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Sounds like more people are against it than there are for it. We all have opinions and choices. I for one, respect others peoples opinions....even those I disagree with. That’s what makes this country so diverse. With that said, I will not give one more penny to the university as long as they play each other. Not to worry, I’m not rich, my contribution won’t be missed by the university, but I will stand by and act on my principles and beliefs. Terrible day for KU

Tony Bandle 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Sorry, Steven, but the "terrible day" for KU will be when the NCAA lowers the boom on the basketball program. But I, like you, respect everyone else's opinion and thus I consider your position a legitimate take on the situation.

Glen Miller 4 weeks ago

Your "principles" cause you to cut ties with a school you supposedly have an affinity for because of a basketball game?? Hmmmmmmm

Steven Haag 4 weeks, 1 day ago

@Tony, I’m afraid you are right about the NCAA lowering the boom on KU. It’s no secret that the vast majority of ALL colleges have and will continue to violate the laws that the NCAA has in place. Some violations are more severe than others, but for whatever reason, the NCAA seems to take great delight in punishing KU. Self is telling next years recruits not to fret over the violations. I get it. He can’t tell them “We are going to get hammered “ and expect them to commit. Our best hope is that they get lowered to level II violations and the punishments aren’t severe.

David Friend 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Outside of the elite programs (and there are very few more elite than us) we do every school a favor by playing them. This will have no effect on recruiting or anything else. In fact the rivalry will get lots of good exposure. This is great to have our hated rival back on the schedule. To all you people who didn't know what sports were until the mega conferences came about. Rivalries made college sports and KU-Meth U was one of the best in the country.

Carry on.

Doug Wallace 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Like I have stated in opinions before After Maryland left the ACC, The ACC said ok so be it no more tournaments or any ACC activity in Baltimore or any ACC events in Maryland!And Maryland did not get vile and nasty like Misery did! They just had a breakup!

What does The Big 12 do when Misery leaves and says vile things as they walk out the door?Well they open the door and give them hugs and tell them they love them!What the big 12 should have done was to just have no tournaments in Misery or any Big 12 activity!How does that make any 5 states seeing a state that flew you the bird get all the revenue in this!And KU and all the schools in the big 12 have stood there and took it!

I do not even care 1 way or the other if we play this Misery team in this game at all do not get me wrong, really I want the beast teams in the Pac-12,ACC,SEC, or B1G playing against KU!But do not get on Jeff Long get on the Big 12 for putting the tournaments in KCMO!