Sunday, October 6, 2019

KU football promotes Brent Dearmon to offensive coordinator, Les Koenning relieved of duties

KU football senior offensive consultant Brent Dearmon

KU football senior offensive consultant Brent Dearmon

KU’s offense could look a lot different in the second half of the season.

Head coach Les Miles announced Sunday afternoon that offensive coordinator Les Koenning has been relieved of his duties effective immediately. Brent Dearmon has been promoted to fill the role for the Jayhawks.

“I would like to thank Coach Koenning for his contributions to Kansas Football,” Miles said in an official release. “This was a difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our football program both now and in the future. There is still a lot of football left to play this season and I want to put our players in the best position to be successful, which is why I am making the change now.”

Kansas (2-4, 0-2 in Big 12) will have a bye week to adjust to this coaching change. It marks the second consecutive season that KU has made a change at offensive coordinator during a bye week, as former head coach David Beaty fired Doug Meacham on Oct. 10, 2018.

The move comes one day after the Jayhawks suffered a 45-20 loss to No. 6 Oklahoma. Through six games, KU’s offense ranks 101st in the nation with an average of 22.8 points per game and 102nd in the country with an average 354.5 yards per contest. Kansas ranks 96th in all of college football in offense efficiency.

Dearmon is Miles’ third offensive coordinator since he became the head coach at Kansas, though Chip Lindsey left in the offseason to become the head coach at Troy University.

“Brent is one of the brightest individuals I have encountered in all of my years coaching,” Miles said. “I believe our players will be naturally drawn to Brent’s leadership and coaching ability. I have the utmost trust in his ability to lead young men and this move puts our players in the best position to be successful moving forward.”

Dearmon joined the staff at KU after a one-year head coaching stint at Bethel University (Tennessee). BU averaged 540.3 yards and a nation’s-best 55.0 points per game, the highest scoring offense not just in NAIA, but in all of college football.

Prior to his time at Bethel, Dearmon spent three seasons as the offensive coordinator at Division II Arkansas Tech and two seasons as an analyst on Gus Malzahn’s staff at Auburn.

“I am humbled and grateful to Coach Miles for giving me this opportunity to be the offensive coordinator at the University of Kansas,” Dearmon said. “I am excited to get to work right away with the staff and players, and invest in their future both on and off the field. There are a lot of talented young men on this team and it’s up to us as an offensive staff to have them prepared each and every week, and that will be our number one priority.”

Dearmon has a run-pass-option background, something the Jayhawks really showcased during their 48-24 win at Boston College. In that game, KU also ran a lot of three-receiver and four-receiver formations to help get players in space.

Kansas used three-or-more receivers on 43 of its 72 plays against Boston College. KU had done so a total of 41 of its 114 plays in the first two outings. The Jayhawks ran four-receiver formations on 22 plays against BC after not doing so in the first two games, and it netted them 237 of their 567 total yards.

KU’s first game with Dearmon as offensive coordinator will be at Texas on Oct. 19.

Comments

William Daniels 1 month, 1 week ago

I don’t know much about Dearmon, but I do know that I was seriously questioning what was going on with offense play calling. I was wondering how much HCLM called the plays versus OC Koenning. Perhaps this answers that and I am happy to see some decisive action taken.

Michael Maris 1 month, 1 week ago

Great move. Excited to see what Dearmon does with the Jayhawks offense.

Dirk Medema 1 month, 1 week ago

The bye week! Looking forward to the second half.

Dirk Medema 1 month, 1 week ago

The best news is that Carter and others are comfortable with RPO and should have easy buyin after BC.

Dirk Medema 1 month, 1 week ago

This might even set up a nice succession plan. Either that or Malzahn might be around to raid the staff in the near future.

Andy Godwin 1 month, 1 week ago

Motion, motion, and motion. Coastal Carolina was the worst offense called game I can remember. Hopefully, the scheme with two TE, one wide out, a full back, and tail back running off guard or tackle into a stacked box will be a thing of the past (except for short yardage plays). In the Big 12 you have to score. KU did much better controlling the clock which is essential to keep the high octane Big 12 offenses off the field, but you need to score.

Brett McCabe 1 month, 1 week ago

The Koenning hire was a scramble hire, so I get the maybe it wasn’t the best fit. You have now selected your real O.C. Stick with it.

Joe Black 1 month, 1 week ago

Brett, I'm going to something I've rarely ever done before. I'm giving you a thumbs up for your comment.

Dane Pratt 1 month, 1 week ago

Your'e right about Koenning but this is also a scramble hire.

Dale Rogers 1 month ago

Definitely do not agree Dearmon was a scramble hire. He was hired as a consultant because of his reputation as a high quality offense guy and assuming HCLM understands the old approach no longer is successful. The offense used at BC we already knows was much from Dearmon.

Dale Rogers 1 month ago

I'm afraid if Dearmon leaves it will not be because we no longer want him. It will be because he gets either a HC offer at a Div I school or an OC offer at a perennially ranked P5 school. On the other hand, my bet, based on his background, is he wants to see what he can build at KU. Once that's successful he's in high demand.

Michael Maris 1 month, 1 week ago

@ Dirk,

I felt that was the ideology behind the hiring of Dearmon. Bring him in as a consultant and get a feel for Miles style. Eventually, become the OC. And possibly, become the successor of Miles (when Miles contract expires and or retires).

But, I am aware that "Coach in Waiting" scenario doesn't have a great success rate in these modern days.

Marc Frey 1 month, 1 week ago

I hope its a good move. Because over the last ten years, any moves were just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Joe Black 1 month, 1 week ago

I don't really like the picture of Dearmon used with this article. He has kind of a deer in the headlights look.

Seriously, I hope he can open up the offense some and let the team have a chance to score points.

I will say this about the KU-OU game, it had a lot of my OU friends steaming because they just assumed they would hang 80 points on us so they could move up in the polls.They were bitching and moaning throughout the game on how bad their team was playing, refusing to give KU any credit for causing their team to be slowed down.

Cora Smith 1 month, 1 week ago

Any chance of recruiting a 4 star quarterback given the changes made in coaching?

Dane Pratt 1 month, 1 week ago

We're on the hook for $1m. Instead of firing him, can't we reassign him to some other coaching position?

Armen Kurdian 1 month, 1 week ago

Have to say all this aside, Carter Stanley has been playing very well. Many of his incompletions have been drops, in and out of someone's hands. I'll bet the team wins at least one more game this year.

Brett McCabe 1 month, 1 week ago

@Joe Black. Admit it, that thumbs up felt great! 😀

Doug Wallace 1 month ago

He needs help without Herbert this offense regardless who is OC will struggle!