Originally published May 24, 2019 at 12:26p.m., updated May 24, 2019 at 02:56p.m.

Silvio De Sousa wins appeal, becomes eligible to play at KU during 2019-20 season

Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa (22) laughs on the bench with his teammates during the second half, Thursday, March 8, 2018 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

The wait is over. Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa will play basketball for the Jayhawks next season.

After being suspended by the NCAA for two seasons on Feb. 1 because of his guardian, Fenny Falmagne's role in accepting money from a former Adidas executive who later was declared a KU booster, De Sousa on Friday morning finally had his appeal heard by the NCAA’s Student-Athlete Reinstatement committee.

By noon, after a 9:15 a.m. teleconference that included De Sousa, his attorney Scott Tompsett and KU administrators once again pleading his case from an office on KU’s campus, De Sousa received the ruling he was waiting on and officially was cleared for competition.

“We won,” Tompsett said in a text to the Journal-World.

In a phone interview with the Journal-World early Friday afternoon, Tompsett said simply, “I am so happy for Silvio. The NCAA got it right.”

KU coach Bill Self, who has been on vacation with his family in Australia, found out the news in the middle of the night on the other side of the world and promptly released a statement voicing his elation as soon as he could.

“I am extremely happy for Silvio, and very appreciative of (KU AD) Jeff Long and our athletic department personnel who have worked so hard on this," Self's statement read. "Our chancellor, school attorneys, Scott Tompsett and David Reed (Senior Associate Athletics Director, Compliance and Student Services) have spent so many hours on this matter."

De Sousa, who was bombarded with well wishes on social media as soon as Friday's news broke, spent the bulk of the early afternoon responding to KU fans, along with friends and family, with his appreciation for both the ruling and the support he received through the 17-month process.

Said De Sousa in a news release: "I'm so excited to be able to come back to Kansas to play and to continue my education. It's an amazing feeling. I want to thank the NCAA committee for the opportunity to do what I really want to do. All those days and nights wondering what would happen, this makes it all worth it. I also want to thank everyone at Kansas for working so hard to make sure I can follow my dream. Jayhawk Nation, I can't thank you all enough for the unconditional support and for sticking around throughout this. I tried to turn the year off into a blessing. I got to work on my game and my academics, and now I'm going to make the most of this opportunity."

photo

Kansas basketball forward Silvio De Sousa and his attorney, Scott Tompsett, celebrate Friday's news that De Sousa's appeal of a two-year NCAA suspension had been granted.

Earlier Friday, the NCAA released a statement officially announcing the ruling.

"Kansas men's basketball student-athlete Silvio De Sousa is eligible to play the upcoming season after sitting the 2018-19 season due to NCAA rule violations. Kansas appealed the NCAA staff decision of a two-season withholding to the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement committee, which determined additional relief was appropriate."

Throughout the process, which dragged on multiple times and in many different ways, KU officials, including head coach Bill Self, called the case “complicated” and insisted that both the school and De Sousa were cooperating with the NCAA in every way possible to try to get a resolution.

De Sousa, Self, Long and others were outspoken about De Sousa’s innocence in the matter and often spoke with conviction about their belief that the 6-foot-9 sophomore forward was being unjustly punished.

The NCAA saw otherwise and, in early February, officially declared De Sousa ineligible for the remainder of the 2018-19 season and all of the 2019-20 season.

At the time, Long said he was “incensed” by the NCAA’s decision to suspend De Sousa and proclaimed that day and in the months ahead that he and KU were “determined to fight for Silvio and for fairness.”

On April 18, KU formally filed an appeal of the ruling, “challenging the two-season penalty De Sousa received from the NCAA for alleged violations that he was unaware of and from which he did not benefit.”

A day later, De Sousa and Tompsett, in an interview requested by the Journal-World, explained why they believed De Sousa had a strong shot of winning the appeal and indicated that a ruling could come as soon as the following week.

But further delays surfaced from there which actually led to KU resubmitting the appeal, and, 35 days after De Sousa first spoke publicly about his suspension, the KU forward received Friday’s news that he would be eligible to play for the Jayhawks during the 2019-20 season.

"Silvio has been unbelievably upbeat and patient throughout this process — far more than I could be if I were in his shoes," Self said. "And he has been a tremendously positive influence on me, our team and everyone he has touched since getting the initial ruling. Silvio is the type of student-athlete that college athletics needs."

De Sousa, who declared for the 2019 NBA Draft on April 19, said then that he wanted to return to KU and would do so if he won his appeal.

De Sousa spent the past couple of weeks showcasing his skills and working out for NBA teams but fully intends to return to Kansas for what will be his junior season.

"I am thrilled by the decision of the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee to reinstate Silvio," Long said Friday. "And I am thankful that Silvio has the opportunity to continue his academic work and play basketball for KU. He is an exceptional young man, and I am so happy that he gets to do what he truly wants to do, which is study and play basketball at KU."

Thus ends a saga that began with De Sousa committing to KU in late August of 2017 and enrolling at Kansas a semester early in time to play for the Jayhawks during the spring semester of the 2017-18 season.

After a slow start that saw him struggle to get off the bench, De Sousa became a massive part of KU’s run to the 2018 Final Four, playing monster minutes in both the Big 12 and NCAA Tournaments in place of the injured Udoka Azubuike.

During his lone semester of his freshman season, the 6-foot-9 forward from Angola, who played high school ball at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., appeared in 20 games and averaged 4 points and 3.7 rebounds in 8.8 minutes per game. Those numbers included postseason averages of 7 points and 7 rebounds in 15 minutes per game, a run that set the stage for what De Sousa believed would be a breakout sophomore season.

But that opportunity never came. One day before KU’s exhibition opener against Emporia State last season, the Jayhawks announced that they would hold De Sousa out while investigating new information that surfaced in a highly publicized trial in New York over corruption in college basketball recruiting.

De Sousa, who practiced and traveled with the team all season, sat out both exhibition games and never played a minute of the 2018-19 season.

Self, along with the tens of thousands of Kansas fans who rejoiced over Friday's news across social media, made it clear Friday that De Sousa's return to the court would be a big deal for the program, the fan base and De Sousa himself.

"He wants to be a student and contribute to representing this university on the court," Self said. "This moment belongs to Silvio and I am proud to be his coach. I know he’ll be more motivated than ever, which will be very exciting for all Jayhawk fans to watch next season."

Comments

Ryan Mullen 1 month ago

Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sae Thirtysix 1 month ago

Jay, I am sure that BMcCoob will say that "he fully anticipated vindication"

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

Okay, truthfully how many of you said that Silvio will never play at Kansas?

1: me

I think most everyone thought Silvio wouldn't play at some point during this NCAA witch hunt.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Thank you for being willing to admit it. Hopefully, this will be an encouragement you can look back on to not lose hope, even in the face of what appears to be insanity by the NCAA/coaches/admin/players/recruits/...

The words to the school song of another alma mater of mine include, "ever faithful, ever true, thus we raise our song a new - fire up". Not that fans there, or that school is necessarily better than here, but I wish we could embrace that faithfulness more.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

Thank you Dirk, I just hope he tears up the court all season.

Rick Willard 1 month ago

This is AWESOME!! I cannot wait to see Silvio play here in 2019. If his Freshman year was any indication, he is going to be a FORCE on the front line! Now, let's land a couple more recruits, or maybe have Grimes/Dotson come back, and KU is right back in the Top 5. ROCK CHALK!!!

Dwayne Mudd 1 month ago

I am Soooo Stoked!! So Happy for Silvio. Such a great kid and he absolutely deserved this. He is an absolute stud. Complete different skill set than either Big Dok or DMac and a perfect compliment to them as well. I think he is the best overall player of the three!! I saw him do some freakish stuff during that Final 4 run a couple years ago. The way he would block shots with his quick hands. He would knock it out before the shooter really even got completely set up. Plus an 80% foul shooter.

With Silvio back and if Dotson stays and R.J. signs the national championship is ours for the taking. We will have it all. Experience, Talent, Size, Depth!! My only concern is 3-Point Shooting but I know Dotson will be a better shooter and so will Agbaji. If Grimes comes back I would expect him to make a major jump forward shooting (I don't think he's coming back though but you never know. He will if he's smart). They say R.J. is a "Lethal" 3-Point shooter. Time to get Bill that second national championship ring and re-enforce our spot as a top 4 program in the country.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

I'm happy for this kid..he was treated unfairly..the front out aplease to be in great shape next season season

Bryce Landon 1 month ago

He was treated very unfairly. Maybe the NCAA relented because they got quite a PR backlash and didn't want another round of that.

Jay Scott 1 month ago

"the front out aplease to be in great shape next season season"

What does that even mean? An even better question is, does the poster expect anyone to believe that he isn't the one that "liked" a post that is mostly total gibberish.

Some advice. Liking your own posts is like spanking your monkey in public. It's gross and makes you look like a sicko.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

@Jay ....do you have a crush on me or something? Lol.....I swear its like you scour this entire message board looking for anything I post...hate to tell ya but my fan club is full....and btw, the misspelling is thanks to my auto correct malfunctioning...and no, I don't like any of my own post..the only narcissistic person on this message board desperate enough to do that is you....

Jay Scott 1 month ago

Stalk? Where? This article is somewhat poignant. Actual Kansas fans are likely to read it. Is there some other place you post nonsense? Nicktoons? Cartoon Network? Did you notice I don't make fun of your nonsense anywhere else? You may not know this but I've been participating in these forums for more than a decade. Since you were still in diapers I bet.

Would it be wrong if another male had a crush on you? Are you gay bashing now? Is there no end to your issues?

What does "the front out aplease" mean? What spelling software thinks "aplease" is a word? Is this a foreign language saying?

Craig Carson 1 month ago

Yes, you seem to be stalking me....there hasn't been a single comment I've made these last 2 weeks that you haven't felt the need to interject your unwanted asinine opinion on..and if you have issue with my auto correct I suggest you contact the phones manufacturer...and you notice how Bryce London was able to read my comment and respond with maturity...take notes from him

Jay Scott 1 month ago

You suggest I contact YOUR phone's manufacturer? Even for you, that's stupid. That would require a level of stalking that's even more gross than your other habit.

Don't like it when your comments are identified as stupid? Don't post stupid comments. It really is that easy.

James Wellington 1 month ago

My God, Jay. Anyone with an eighth grade reading level could see that he meant to type "appears" instead of "aplease". So far you've commented more on this story than anyone else, and have contributed nothing of substance; only two unprovoked, childish attacks and two two more of your vapid, boilerplate Chicken Little comments. This has been your modus operandi for a decade now. I'm sure I speak for most "actual KU fans" when I ask you to grow up. It'd make these board so much more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Jay Scott 1 month ago

If having negativity and nonsense mocked makes you so angry, maybe you're negative and nonsensical?

Or... Maybe you're Kid Carson with a different user ID since you created this one just now?

James Wellington 1 month ago

Nah, just a casual fan who likes to read these boards and thinks they'd be a hell of a lot better if your took your childish antics elsewhere.

You're no Jaybate, Jay.

Jay Scott 1 month ago

Your two forays into "substance" are no Hollywood debut.

Tell you what. Why not take all of Kid Carson's genius ideas, since you picked him to defend, and support them? You could explain how HCBS could have signed a full recruiting class during the past season. You could explain how kids didn't leave early before the OAD rule. You could explain that Dedric Lawson WAS a point guard and Garrett isn't. You could explain his quote from 10 days ago "don't hold your breath on Silvio..the NCAA is in no rush to look into appealing their suspension of him" That's plenty of stupidity for you to side with...

James Wellington 1 month ago

Nah, I've said my piece. Be decent or don't.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

@James..omg thank you...I'm glad some one else sees Jay as the nuisance he is....no one else on this message board attacks others like he does..its just annoying...we are all on here cause we love KU bball and people like him take away the fun

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

James, how can you know anything since these are your first comments you have ever posted.

More than likely, someone looks as if they are trying to use any means possible

Marius Rowlanski 4 weeks, 1 day ago

"My God, Jay. Anyone with an eighth grade reading level could see that he meant to type "appears" instead of "aplease".

Now I feel dumb because I had no idea.

Jim Keen 1 month ago

After all of this, he is going to be a HUGE factor next season. Love it!

RJ King 1 month ago

Yes Virginia, there IS a Sousa Clause!

Jay Scott 1 month ago

The Chicken Littles are off to a bad start for the weekend.....

Does the Lawrence mental health network have enough providers to treat them all if Dotson and Grimes pull out of the draft?

Sam Meyer 1 month ago

It only took about 7 months to get to this point after he was initially withheld from games. I suppose this is progress

Joe Black 1 month ago

Try to look at it as the silver lining and ignore the clouds (storm clouds in KS)

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

I'm betting on mostly sunny over any type of cloud for Kansas next year.

David Kelley-Wood 1 month ago

Thank goodness! I would have bet the other way on this one, and I don't readily recall being happier to be dead wrong.

Michael Sillman 1 month ago

Clearly Self can go back to his two bigs set. DeSousa has quick enough feet to not be a major liability when teams go small.

David Howell 1 month ago

About time justice was served ............ The NCAA seeing their pants were on FIRE had no choice but to bail on their 2nd year of the ruling ! Hopefully Dotson comes back and Hampton decides to join the team.

Michael Sillman 1 month ago

Let’s remember that this was not a reversal by the NCAA bureaucrats. This was an appeals committee which to my understanding is composed of fellow university peers. I’m wondering if this might fill the NCAA with a terrible resolve to find something on KU during the ongoing investigation. I hope not.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

It wouldn't shock me one bit if that happened ..it seems after the FBI fiasco and all the public backlash the NCAA might feel like they have to dole out harsher punishments than what are required or needed just to save face...it seems like that's what happened to SDS...IMO, Arizona and LSU have way more to be worried about than KU

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

I can't see that happening. After all the delays and requests, Silvio contributed on the sideline and always appeared to be studying the players he will soon playing against.

Thomas Harrison 1 month ago

Wonderful!! If Hampton comes and Dotson returns, we will back to Final Four!Congrats to ongoing Support for a good kid should go to KU Administration!! Rock Chalk!

Len Shaffer 1 month ago

It's about freakin' time!!! I hope the fans at Allen give Silvio the greatest welcome back in KU basketball history. No kid is more deserving.

Joe Baker 1 month ago

Finally, KU gets a break. Come to Lawrence R.J.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

No crow in sight in spite of the plethora of “he’ll never play again “ comments.

Biggest “recruiting” victory since Devonte’s decision. So excited to see what he can do with a full year and plenty of time to transition. And a full healthy year for Ochai as well. Still room for a couple more perimeter players.

Best frontline in ncaa?

Monster frontline - definitely! Will be interesting to see if our bigs can defend the perimeter when others go small.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

Baring anything tragic, this should be the best front court KU has had since the days of Withey/TROB....if Dotson does indeed decide to return, this will be a hard team to handle (assuming they can knock down the 3 at a decent rate)...I do feel a little bad for Mitch though..the thinned front court these last 2 years has given him lots of playing time..that might not be the case next season..

Jay Scott 1 month ago

'Best since"?

The 2011-12 front court of Withey and TRob had KY and Justin Wesley as backups. 32pts/20reb

The 2013-14 front court of Ellis, Embiid, Black, Traylor and Lucas (plus Wesley) was already an improvement. 36pts/23reb

Don't want your comments scrutinized? Don't post dumb comments. It's not "stalking", it's reality. No participation trophies in the adult world.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

There you go stalking me again lol...dude I don't want you..go away lol...and btw, both TROB and Withey got drafted to the NBA....I don't recall seeing Ellis on anyone's NBA roster .here's simple math, 2 NBA front court players is better than 1 lol

Jay Scott 1 month ago

Never heard of Tarik Black? He's started 57 NBA games. TRob and Withey COMBINED started 27. And that Embiid guy? He's an NBA All star. You've heard of him?

I'll add that to your growing resume of doubling down on stupid.

Here's more simple math. 5 solid rotation players is better than 3.

It's so easy to make you look stupid that it almost isn't fun. What surely wouldn't be fun is pointing out all your total nonsense. That would be a full time job.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Jay - There's no problem with critiquing or challenging another's post. Most would appreciate civility. There's no need to call another post dumb.

You took the view of the cumulative impact at the collegiate level of a bunch of good players. Craig was basing his opinion on the significance o f the best players, and more from a next level sort of perspective. Personally, I'm more concerned about the collegiate performance than the NBA but it doesn't make Craig's comment dumb, especially when you don't even know on what basis he's making his comment.

I was thinking more of "since the '08 frontline", but wasn't really remembering what the others were, and didn't have time to analyze during the day.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

Solid analysis. Just recently though, Morris and Graham would give several past teams a run for their money.

Not sure what analytics you are using to base your decision.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

? Morris and Graham? ?Recent front court?

Hadn't taken the time for any analytics. Just memory, and the '08 team is sort of a standard bearer for frontline performance. Was hoping Matt, Benton, ... , another commenter could do an article comparing front court play over the past decade since '08. I'm less inclined to do it while starting a new job, renovating a house, raising a family, ...

Craig Carson 1 month ago

@Dirk...I appreciate the support...why Jay feels the need to be so arrogant and rude is beyond me.. None of us come onto this page to be scolded by some faceless stranger...I think we all can agree that none of us agree with every post on here as we are entitled to our own opinion, but as you said "civility" is key..I'd go as far as to say some one should contact Matt Tait or whoever runs this page and block Jay Scott from posting do the rest of us don't have to be subjected to message boards full of his idiotic brain less post

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

You're welcome, though hopefully the comment is bigger than what can feel like a cat fight.

I tend to find myself agreeing with Jay's info or analysis, but cringing at the delivery, though I also don't think the "delivery" is limited to Jay.

A few years ago, LJW made a decision to switch from aliases (dagger108) to actual names in the hope that people would behave more civilly if a layer or anonymity was removed. They were valuing "freedom of speech". Unfortunately, freedom of speech has mistakenly been expanded (throughout our culture) to include negative, demeaning, hateful speech or whatever else I feel like saying. This is not right.

I would also suggest that it goes beyond comments between commenters and really needs to be applied even more towards the coaches, players, admin, ... There are always 2 ways of expressing any opinion: a positive and a negative. It is easy to respond negatively. It takes more effort, self-control, thoughtfulness, .. to respond positively, but is also always better.

Brett McCabe 1 month ago

Dirk, it's official, no one has the pettiness advantage over you.

It's a day to celebrate, not be a dbag.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

So the pettiness comment seems that you are feeling self-conscious about this shining the light on yet another example of you quitting on the team/players.

Today is a day to celebrate. Does that mean you'll go back to being a dbag, quitting on the team, calling out Coach Self and others tomorrow?

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

I don't think you'll find a plethora of "never play again comments" as I don't recall anyone predicting he would play next season. Including me.

If you say that you never doubted the return of Silvio, I'll take your word for it but you are one of very few.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Plethora may have been strong, and it just seemed like more because what seems to me like excessive negativism is frustrating.

I most definitely have been hopeful, but in light of the NCAA and what seem like so many other subplots, I definitely wasn't predicting it. I think it was earlier this week that my cynicism came out and I said that I expected the NCAA would wait until at least the day after the date to remove your name from the draft to make a decision. The whole thing has felt very spiteful.

That being said, going all the way back to when the suspension was first announced and at least one person said there was no reason for him to return, I posted an argument for a reason for him to return even if he didn't get to play next year. Not that I was predicting it, because that gets into stuff way beyond my insight. I personally don't think it is appropriate for me to comment where I don't have insight.

Others have said they feel this message board is here for the purpose of fan speculation oblivious to the fact that recruits do recognize fan support (?or a lack thereof/negative comments) as a basis for choosing one school over another. It is not the only factor, but it is a factor. We can be a part of building up all of our programs, or tearing them down.

Marius Rowlanski 4 weeks, 1 day ago

Glad you put the quotation marks around recruiting although this does feel very much like a recruiting victory.

We still need outside shooting and Dok hasn't made it through a complete season.

I wonder how many recruits wrote Kansas off their lists once they saw that Silvio was returning.

Eric Dawson 1 month ago

Great news! About time, too! Now we are just awaiting the official notice of Silvio's withdrawal from the NBA draft. Not saying he won't, just don't want him to forget about it with all the celebrating going on. Still got that last T to cross and i to dot before the paperwork is complete and he is ready to go for the 2019-20 season!

Barry Weiss 1 month ago

Wow, having Silvio out there with Dok at the same time is going to be tough on our opponents. He was coming on like a freight train.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

If our bigs can defend the perimeter when others go small(er).

Some people are writing off Mitch, but I think he surprises people again when he becomes the answer to defending small ball from the opponents. It was almost the downfall of Withey/TRob. Was it Kevin Young that ended up chasing Robbie Hummel all over the court? To some extent it was the case when Villanova's bigs went outside, though that was a completely different freight train.

Marius Rowlanski 1 month ago

Dok needs to wear ankle and wrist protection. McCormack is a beast and Silvio showed out during the Final Four year. We might need to add another big as there will be a lot of calls in the paint until these guys learn to can play without fouling.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

There was an interesting article here a year ago (?) about Dok's foul troubles correlating strongly with extended minutes. Coach often needed to keep him on the floor longer than optimum for his endurance. With David's development in particular, hopefully Dok can get more frequent rest to stay fresh and make all his fouls count.

Layne Pierce 1 month ago

Hey everybody We just picked up a 5Star player for next year. Mr. Silvio DeSouza, who has been practicing his butt off against all of our other bigs, and who will be ready to kick ass, and with an attitude.

Now, if we get R.J. and J.W. we are loaded.

Look out world, here we come.

RCJH

Jay Scott 1 month ago

I'd be happier to get Dotson and Grimes back. Enaruna is very similar to Wilson, and ranked higher by Rivals. RJ projects to be great, but so did lots of frosh.

Dotson and Grimes would take HCBS to 11 scholarships and a 8-9 solid man rotation.

Maybe he could sign another set of brother as transfers with the 2 remaining 'ships?

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Good news is we have room so we don't necessarily need to limit.

Dotson is definitely the crucial piece. My guess is his 3 pt woes at the combine scrimmages will be the encouragement he needs to solidify his return.

Chad Smith 1 month ago

This is amazing news. Two more things need to happen and we will return to dominance:

1) RJ Hampton commits to KU 2) Devon Dotson Returns

This is what we have for players if those above things happen:

Front Court: Doke, DeSousa, McCormack, Lightfoot Flexible: Enaruna, Garrett Backcourt: Dotson, Hampton, Agbaji, Braun, Mcbride

that is fantastic depth and makes us strong at every position.

Admittedly a lot seemed lost, but Tech and Kstate better be happy they won last year, because we are going to start a new streak!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK! GO KU!

Marius Rowlanski 4 weeks, 1 day ago

We were in the Final Four a year ago. Tough crowd.

Marc Frey 1 month ago

I was wrong..multiple times. But glad to be wrong. Lets win a NC.

Ken Stclair 1 month ago

This team suddenly looks incredibly good next year......Especially if Dotson returns......And I think he will.

Tony Bandle 1 month ago

Random Thoughts:

1] No matter what happens with the NCAA and KU's post season eligibility next year [a situation I fear is far from resolved], at least Silvio will get to show the NBA that he truly has a future as an NBA Pro.

2] The firm of Mac, Mitch, Dok and De Sousa just became a major "court" litigator.

3] I grew up with four younger brothers, so I enjoy the "friendly" banter between the posters of this site.

4] If R.J.'s dad comments were sincere, it looks like R.J. will be a Hawk!!

5] I actually thought the ending of Game of Thrones was interesting. However, if it had been up to me, the Night King and the White Walkers would have won!

6] Any further word on the planned upgrades for Allen Field House? As a KU Architect grad I am quite curious.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

IMO, I don't believe KU is in any danger of sanctions for next season..it will most likely be the 2020-2021 season that might be concerning..from what I have read, the NCAA could take a year or more to finish whatever investigation they are conducting before they decide to sanction or not sanction...

Bill Lamson 1 month ago

This ought to give Dotson some additional motivation to return - having another dominant big man to dish to, though I'm guessing he would have come back regardless, but hopefully this seals it for him. It should also help our perimeter game since teams will have to double team us more in the paint which should help our marginal 3 pt shooting. I'm torn on whether or not I'd want Grimes to return...he needs to for his own development, which would be good for us, but only if he commits to improving his game and not just treating it like he did this season - a stopover on the way to the NBA - that attitude obviously affected his game and took him from a sure 1st rounder to a questionable 2nd rounder, likely G league player. He has the skills to be another Malik Newman with a breakout season...but I'm guessing he takes his chances in the draft.

Craig Carson 1 month ago

I'm thinking Grimes doesn't come back...he seems like he had his mind made up before he even arrived on campus for the initial off-season workouts

David Howell 1 month ago

Jay Scott seems to love Grimes unlike 90% of the fans. With any luck Grimes has read the comments ........... He is the most over-rated player to come to KU since who ? Fill in the blank you all (this could get interesting) !

Steve Corder 1 month ago

Dotson: What more incentive to come back and erase the deep disappointment of being on the team that ended the championship streak. Come back Mr. Dotson so as not to be remembered as a one-and-done that never played on a Jayhawk championship team.

Alan Mills 1 month ago

I was shocked by this. Just didn't imagine the NCAA would, in any way, grant this appeal. Right decision, but I just didn't expect to see it. Happy to be wrong on that one.

With what now looks like an outstanding frontcourt, it might be time for the guards to get to work. KU's lack of outside shooting threat was perhaps the biggest weakness last year. What has changed for next year? These days, there is a need for multiple knockdown shooters (re. Svi and Graham and Newman), and KU's roster has none that are proven at this moment. If the perimeter shooting can fall into place, it could be a really fun team to watch next year.

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Ochai started out shooting well, and Devon got better. Both didn't finish well, but it sounds like Ochai was affected by (?shin splints?) and my guess is that D's adjusted to Devon and just got better the last month of the season. The good news though is that both will be sophomores with that much more experience and development. Guessing it is a chance of what Devon is hearing this month. It will be interesting to see how others figure into this as well.

Brett McCabe 1 month ago

Meanwhile Sean Miller and Will Wade are still riding along.

Congrats to Silvio and to common sense. If Devon was on the fence, this might have an impact. If we get him back, we'll be a force.

Jay Scott 1 month ago

Great insight Brett! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Dane Pratt 1 month ago

And with five days to spare. I guess by the speed at which the NCAA moves this would be considered a buzzer beater?

Kit Duncan 1 month ago

From the NCAA website:

"An appeal is not a new hearing that provides a second chance to argue the case. The Infractions Appeals Committee acts based on the record in the case. It will not consider evidence that was not presented to the Committee on Infractions panel, except in limited circumstances.

The Infractions Appeals Committee will reverse the Committee on Infractions’ decisions involving Level I or Level II violations only if the individual or institution can show one or more of the following:

A factual finding is clearly contrary to the evidence presented to the Committee on Infractions panel.

The facts found by the Committee on Infractions panel do not constitute a violation of the NCAA constitution and bylaws.

There was a procedural error, and but for the error, the Committee on Infractions panel would not have made the finding or conclusion.

Or, in prescribing a penalty, the Committee on Infractions panel abused its discretion."

I believe it to be likely the Appeals Committee found that the Infractions panel abused its discretion and decided to declare Silvio eligible once again.

No matter the reason, it is a GREAT day to be a Jayhawk!

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

Good knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Zimmerman 1 month ago

It took them 1 yr to admit their wrong? Silvio should file a counter lawsuit if he wanted to..

Lex Valdez 1 month ago

Did somebody just say 2020 national champs! Welcome back Mr. De Sousa!

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

With improved 3 pt shooting and 3D.

Steve Zimmerman 1 month ago

I'm late to the party, been waiting for this great news checking this website every single freakin' morning except today... This is a nice surprise from NCAA. Still, 1 season suspension for a mere $2500 was still too harsh. Time to move on... and up from this point! Let's go conquer 2019-2020 season!!

^ROCK CHALK!!!^

Dirk Medema 1 month ago

He got the suspension the NCAA never got (the satisfaction) of levying on Billy and Clif. Sad, but as you say it is time to move on. So excited to see a monster year when he gets to vent for the past year. I suspect that it will be a major story if not theme during the year.

Mallory Briggans 1 month ago

Silvio patience let me know one thing HE WANTED BE A KANSAS JAYHAWK That speaks volumes to me .A player that wants the college experience A player willing to wait .......willing to sit on the bench wanting and willing to help his teammates only being told he cant . knowing that he could have been the difference in some of our loses . It wasnt about him .....he could have decided that it wasnt worth the fight and left. Silvio wanted to be a Jayhawk .......Welcome back Silvio

ROCK CHALK

Robert Brock 1 month ago

There is justice in the land...but no peace until the Jayhawks cut down the nets in the Spring.

Stuart Corder 1 month ago

On the same day that Silvio De Sousa is cleared, R.J. Hampton announced his decision date to be right after Memorial Day weekend on the 28th.

Perhaps Dotson and Grimes will announce returning to KU before the weekend is up, and Hampton puts the cherry on top.

Would that leave us with one more scholarship?

Kit Duncan 1 month ago

Just to be clear, Silvio was not suspended by the NCAA until KU admitted his infraction, which was not done until conference play. The school asked for clarification on his status and the NCAA stated they would not investigate until he was officially suspended by the school.

Before that the coaching staff had held him out ostensibly awaiting the Adidas trial outcome and whether the NCAA would begin investigating post-trial. When the NCAA announced that no investigations would begin until the end of the school year, KU jumped into action to clarify Silvio’s eligibility.

It really was a no-win situation Silvio and the school were placed in, no thanks to the Adidas reps!