Kansas head football coach Les Miles and receivers coach Emmett Jones headed Monday to Texas for some recruiting, and by the end of the day the Jayhawks had another 2020 commitment in place.
Armaj Adams-Reed, an offensive tackle prospect at DeSoto High, announced Monday night he has committed to KU.
Hours earlier the DeSoto High football Twitter account shared a picture of Miles and Jones stopping in to see the program’s coaches, and more importantly, Adams-Reed and Lawrence Arnold, a DHS receiver who committed to Kansas back in August.
Listed at 6-foot-5 and 310 pounds, Adams-Reed just visited KU this past weekend. Rivals rates him as a two-star prospect on the offensive line, while 247Sports grades the young blocker as a three-star talent.
Adams-Reed reportedly also had offers from North Texas, Southern Miss, Utah State and other non-Power Five programs.
In an interview with Jayhawk Slant’s Jon Kirby before his commitment, Adams-Reed called Jones, a Dallas native involved with his recruitment, “amazing.”
“He's so down to earth and keeps it real with me,” the O-lineman told Jayhawk Slant. “He had a big support on the side with my brother, Lawrence (Arnold). He made a good connection with us and we all have a good vibe with it.”
KU currently has 26 prospects committed from the 2020 class, and more additions or subtractions could change that number before the class becomes official. Theoretically, if KU remained above 25 — the maximum number of players the Jayhawks could both sign and add to the roster for next season — some players could grayshirt and not join the program until the spring of 2021.
All verbal commitments, of course, are nonbinding. Football recruits in the 2020 class can sign as soon as Dec. 18-20. National Signing Day is on Feb. 5, 2020.
-KU football 2020 verbal commitments
(Rivals recruiting rankings listed)
• Brennon Scott - 4-star LB from Texas
• Duece Mayberry - 3-star CB from Oklahoma
• Trevor Kardell - 3-star TE from Missouri
• Will Huggins - 3-star TE from Kansas
• Krishawn Brown - 3-star LB from Oklahoma
• Khari Coleman - 3-star DE from Louisiana
• Garrett Jones - 3-star OL from Michigan
• JaCobee Bryant - 3-star CB from Alabama
• Malik Johnson - 3-star WR from Texas
• Caleb Taylor - 3-star DE from Missouri
• Kenean Caldwell - 3-star DT from Louisiana
• Jaylin Richardson - 3-star athlete from Kansas
• Taiwan Berryhill - 3-star LB from Louisiana
• Lawrence Arnold - 3-star WR from Texas
• Chris Jones - 3-star DE from Florida
• Tanner Hooker - 3-star CB from Louisiana
• Alonso Person - 3-star LB from California
• Steven McBride - 3-star WR from Louisiana
• Tristan Golightly - 3-star TE from Texas
• Da'Vonshai Harden Jr. - 2-star QB from Kansas
• Luke Grimm - 2-star WR from Missouri
• Nicholas Martinez - 2-star OL from California
• Kyler Pearson - 2-star WR from Oklahoma
• Daniel Hishaw Jr. - 2-star athlete from Oklahoma
• Karon Prunty - 2-star CB from Virginia
• Armaj Adams-Reed - 2-star OL from Texas