Sunday, February 12, 2017

Four-star WR Chase decommits from KU football

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Serving as a reminder of just how mercurial the college football recruiting world can be, Kansas coaches learned Sunday night one of the touted Louisiana prospects who committed to join the Jayhawks just over a week ago has decided to back out.

Four-star receiver Ja’Marr Chase, who on Feb. 4 became one of five prep juniors from the southeastern state to commit to the Jayhawks that day, announced on Twitter eight days later he’s had second thoughts.

“After having a lengthy discussion with my parents I realized that I can’t make a rational decision when my emotions are (involved),” Chase, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound receiver from Rummel High, in Metairie, Louisiana wrote in a note he tweeted out Sunday night. “Making a decision about my future needs to be a family decision and I have to make sure that my family is on the same page. This have nothing to do with Kansas or the coaches at Kansas. It’s a great place and (they’re) doing great things. With that being said I’m announcing my de-committing from (the) Kansas Jayhawks.”

Chase also has offers from Florida, Ole Miss, TCU, Tennessee and several other programs from Power Five conferences.

As of Sunday night, KU still had five other commitments from Louisiana on board: four-star receiver Devonta Jason, four-star defensive back Corione Harris, three-star defensive tackle Nelson Jenkins, three-star defensive back Aaron Brule and three-star running back Anthony Williams.

Brule, a 6-foot safety, is Chase’s high school teammate at Rummel.

Before Chase de-committed, KU peaked as high as No. 2 in the country in Rivals’ 2018 team recruiting rankings. Once Chase took his name off the Jayhawks’ list, Kansas dropped to No. 6 — behind No. 1 Penn State, Florida State, Miami (Fla.), USC and Notre Dame.

Comments

Brent Held 1 month, 1 week ago

Can't say I'm too surprised, we were fortunate to have him even consider KU. However, I do still like where we are at right now and I think we do hold on to the other four star guys as they are from the same high school at Mike Lee. We just have to keep our heads down and keep on going on that recruiting trail and build this class even more! RCJH!

John Myers 1 month, 1 week ago

I'm hoping that he might end up coming anyhow.. The thing that annoys me the most, based just on how his post reads, is that it doesn't sound like he had a change of heart, it sounds like his parents talked him out of it..

Brett McCabe 1 month, 1 week ago

While thinking things through can be valuable, first impressions can be just as valuable. Trust your gut young man, you know you want to Rock Chalk!

It's a year till signing day, so the class will ebb and flow, but if we can land one or two more solid commitments, I think that it will help hold the class together. While 4-star guys are nice, a solid set of 3-star commitments would be a huge upgrade over our previous classes.

Josh Berg 1 month, 1 week ago

This is very sad news as I was really excited today to buy my season tickets. I have to agree it sounds like his parents talked him down. I could also see him having to compete for a job here because Ku has done a great job of putting good receivers on the field as is evident with their strong recruiting at that position.

I can honestly say that this may be a fantastic place for incoming players in a few years as Beaty has them on the right path. This is still sad though because it's like going back on a promise.

Kevin Fest 1 month, 1 week ago

I say lm surprised would be a lie. How many recruits decomitted last year whether it was early or late in the process. This isn't it surprise just hope it's not a trend.

Dale Rogers 1 month, 1 week ago

Too bad. He might have been able to stand out at KU. I wish him the best.

Andy Godwin 1 month, 1 week ago

With over 11 months and a football season to wait to make these commitment officials (2-1-2018), it is likely that most will have second thoughts and reopen their recruitments to the traditional powerhouses of the world. Here's hoping we are excited and impressed by Beaty's recruitment approaches on 2-2-2018.

John Brazelton 1 month, 1 week ago

Our win-loss record this year will determine a lot of how many of these high-ranking recruits that we can actually can sign in February. A 500 record and a minor bowl will say a lot about our progress as a team and if we can halt the blow-outs by the top of the Big 12. Coach Hull did a great job of getting these guys to even step foot on campus and then commit even if it was just a knee jerk reaction to get better offers by other schools.

Len Shaffer 1 month, 1 week ago

By "better offers," do you mean more money?

Glen Miller 1 month, 1 week ago

Not shocked at this development, outside of the fact that a reversal came so quickly...... but I have to say that I read his statement like this "Although I felt a bond with the players and University at KU, I made the decision based off of my excitement for the opportunity in front of me and did not consult with my family as I apparently should have. My mom and dad are going to ride my coat tails into the money flow and they do not feel my best opportunity to increase my value is at Kansas University. They would prefer the Florida's or Tennessee's of the world in the SEC. I owe it to them to do what is best for them, since they have sacrificed so much for me in my career."

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. I see parents put so much pressure on their kids in sports from the time they are 5-6 years old through the rest of their growing up. I've heard numerous conversations where the parents tend to guide the kid, more than looking out for their best interests. Too much greed out there.

Kyle Rohde 1 month, 1 week ago

To me, this was as simple as a 16 or 17 year old kid was on a visit and got caught up in the excitement of KU and committing with a bunch of other kids from Louisiana. When he got back home, he had time to sit down with his parents and talk it through more. It's nothing nefarious; it's just what happens when kids are verbally committing a year before that commitment means anything.

It might almost be worse to have these kids choosing KU over all the better programs that also offered them because now those schools know where a kid's head is at and have a year to recruit against KU. Before, KU was nothing but an afterthought.

Glen Miller 1 month, 1 week ago

I'd like to be the glass half full type that you are Kyle, and I hope you are right....... I however think this reeks of the parent making the decision for them. Recruiting isn't like it used to be and there are literally millions of dollars on the table for these high ranking recruits. The parents want them to go somewhere that they will get recognized and where they can be coached up by the best...... not saying that's wrong of them to feel, but I've personally seen a parents influence become an order on more than one occasion in these type scenarios.

John Myers 1 month, 1 week ago

That's exactly how I interpreted it as well.

Randy Bombardier 1 month, 1 week ago

Its okay. I think he could have been a starter from day one but if there's anything we need in a receiver its decisiveness. Perhaps the tentativeness shown here may not serve him well in a faced-paced sling it around system. I don't know...just a thought.

Dirk Medema 1 month, 1 week ago

This is just the flipside of the kid from Grandview who brought his mom back to meet Coach before committing. Sounds like Chase is still interested and needs to let Coach recruit his parents as well, which they normally do anyway.

Larry Jackson 1 month, 1 week ago

Wait until our TX roots dig into the 2018 recruiting soil. We've only just began. RCJH all day!