Thursday, December 21, 2017

New KU football signee Corione Harris credits Tony Hull for job well done

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

With a smile on his face Wednesday morning at Landry-Walker High, in New Orleans, cornerback Corione Harris uttered eight words that had to have inspired the same reaction out of Kansas football fans, coaches and players alike.

“I’ll be taking my talents to Kansas University,” the high school senior announced from a podium at a signing ceremony in his high school’s gymnasium.

For Harris, a four-star talent according to Rivals, it was a decision more than 10 months in the making. The 6-foot-1, 170-pound prep initially committed to the Jayhawks in February. Unlike others who made non-binding pledges at the time, including his high school teammate Devonta Jason, who signed with Mississippi State, Harris remained loyal to Kansas.

The touted senior, ranked the No. 13 cornerback in the nation by Rivals, told The Times-Picayune KU’s associate head coach and fellow New Orleans native Tony Hull (former high school coach at Warren Easton) played a key role in Harris’ decision.

“Coach Hull actually did a great job recruiting me, because he’s been recruiting me since middle school, back when he was at Easton,” Harris began. “So me and him have a very tight relationship. He did a good job contacting me every day. My position coach (KU assistant Kenny Perry) contacted me, Coach (David) Beaty contacted me. They’re doing an excellent job of recruiting up there and they’re rebuilding to become very successful.”

Harris also explained why KU’s struggles in Beaty’s third season, when the Jayhawks lost their final 11 games, didn’t inspire him to back off his pledge and sign with Mississippi State, his other finalist.

"Kansas is a school that even though their record might not seem like it, it is rebuilding, and I think I’ll be a big part of that rebuilding stage,” Harris said.

Mike Lee, another Hull recruit who played at Landry-Walker, attended the signing ceremony of his former prep teammates with time off in between semesters at KU. Harris looked forward to reuniting with the hard-hitting safety in the Jayhawks’ secondary.

"Me and Mike been together since my freshman year," Harris said. "He always pushed me to work hard, from the weight room to the field. So up there we are going to keep it going and try to bring some of that Landry-Walker (attitude) to college."

No word on Pooka

While the December early signing period extends through Friday, little is known about when KU recruiting target Anthony “Pooka” Williams will decide to sign.

The three-star running back from Hahnville High (La.), who verbally committed to the Jayhawks on the same visit as Harris this past February, could wait until Feb. 7 to sign.

Williams is said to remain a major target of LSU.

“We are going to sign another running back, maybe two more,” LSU coach Ed Orgeron said Wednesday, in a story posted at SEC Country. “We’re looking for playmakers. We have our eyes on some guys that are dynamic. I feel good about our recruiting process at that position.”

An explosive 5-foot-10 back, Williams also has offers from Nebraska and Miami, while other major programs have shown increased interest in him of late, as well.

Comments

John Brazelton 10 months ago

Welcome Corione!!! With Topps re-shirting, we will have a couple of young, talented DBs for the next 4 years.

Kevin Robert Fest 10 months ago

One is better than none. Maybe 2 if Williams decides to come.

Len Shaffer 10 months ago

Harris is certainly a remarkable get for Beaty, and I love his attitude and work ethic.

I would also love to be as optimistic as he is about the "rebuilding" that's going on, but I've burned WAY too many times in my 40-plus years as a KU football fan (and ESPECIALLY in the last 10 years) to have more than the bare minimum of hope for 2018, and I can say with pretty much certainty that after Harris's first year at KU, he'll be playing under a different coach and AD. (We just have to hope that Hull stays so he'll be less likely to transfer.)

It would be great to be proven wrong.

Marcia Parsons 10 months ago

I don't understand why Zenger is being blamed when he has done so well in other areas. It's possible no one person could perform the miracle of resuscitating football in just three years. If I'm not mistaken, we are still not up to 85 scholarship players. It has been an uphill climb, and while Beatty may well not be the person to do it, I don't see why Zenger should be punished for that when he has done well in other sports and facilities. Is it because he hired Beatty? He has also hired a women's basketball coach who is starting to succeed, didn't he? Someone please explain.

John Fitzgerald 10 months ago

Ask Zenger who’s to fault for the scholarship amounts. And then ask him who hired that guy. He’ll probably run away from you like a toddler on a tantrum.

Dirk Medema 10 months ago

If you are blaming the scholarship situation on Weis, you are half right. Part of the reason why Weis did what he did was because of the shambles created by Gill's mismanagement. We were down 15 of the 30 scholarships at that program change.

Just facts.

Brian Wilson 10 months ago

it was worse than that. KU had only 60 scholarship players at the change and he had only 12 and 13 Seniors and Juniors. Absent minded Ku fans can't seem to remember that Beaty had 25 walk-ons in year one.

But after this next year there really are no excuses. Next year should be a tween year and we should get 3 wins. After that, the roster is almost full plus we have a really big Junior class going into next year. Once they become Seniors and Beaty reshirts a bunch of players again we should be caught up.

[''] 10 months ago

Marcia, did you just become a KU fan yesterday? Have you not seen Zenger's hand-picked KU football coaching hires go 10-72, the worst record in college sports history for any AD? Stop counting scholarships. Baylor had less scholarships than us and came into Lawrence with 20 walk ons and beat us 38-9. Each progressive Zenger hire has won less games. I'm so glad QB Cozart transferred to Boise St this year because his team won more games this year (11) than Zenger's SEVEN years as football AD. What a dumpster fire of epic proportions.

Dirk Medema 10 months ago

And you ignore the fact that Baylor is 2 years away from being a conference title contender. Maybe the players remaining on their roster were better than the ones Beaty inherited.