Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Self lands another coaching honor

Kansas head coach Bill Self applauds his team during the second half, Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who directed his Jayhawks to a 12th-straight Big 12 title and 27-4 regular-season record, on Tuesday was named national coach of the year by USA Today.

“This is likely Self’s best coaching job yet, despite all those other league titles and the team that won it all in 2008,” writes Nicole Auerbach of USA Today. “He has had to poke and prod and figure out lineups. He’s found a winning formula even as he’s limited minutes for highly touted freshmen Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg.

“Self, who edged Xavier’s Chris Mack, Indiana’s Tom Crean, Oregon’s Dana Altman and Miami’s Jim Larranaga, has balanced it all and built a title contender in the process, the most complete team in the country heading into the NCAA Tournament. It’s not unusual that a Self-led team is peaking in March, but it is impressive that this particular one is playing at this high a level. For that, this honor goes to Self,” Auerbach writes.

Of this year’s team, Self said Monday: “I’m proud of the fact that they seem to be very unselfish and care more about their teammates than they appear to care about themselves. You know, a lot of clichés that go along with that. But I do believe that holds true with this team.”

Bleacher Report on Sunday named Self its national coach of the year. He was named AP Big 12 coach of the year on Monday. This marks the fifth season Self has been named national coach of the year by multiple outlets. His Jayhawks open the Big 12 tournament with a quarterfinal match against either Kansas State or Oklahoma State at 1:30 p.m., Thursday, in Sprint Center.

Mason, Ellis honored: KU senior Perry Ellis and junior Frank Mason III were named to the 2015-16 U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) All-District VI Team, the USBWA announced Tuesday.

The All-District VI Team is made up of 10 players selected via voting from the USBWA membership. District VI consists of schools from Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota.

KU’s Self was named District VI coach of the year. Player of the year was Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield. The all-district team members: Mason, Ellis, Hield, Ron Baker, Fred Van Vleet, Wichita State; Isaiah Cousins, OU; Peter Jok, Jarrod Uthoff, Iowa; Monte Morris, Georges Niang, Iowa State.

Brown to stay at SMU: SMU coach Larry Brown, 75, who has one year remaining on his original five-year contract, plans to coach longer than that, he tells the Dallas Morning News. Brown has led SMU to a 94-39 record through four seasons. His squad went 25-5 this season but is ineligible for postseason play because of NCAA sanctions.

“I love what I do and I love where I’m at and I want to see it continue to get better,” former KU coach Brown told the Morning News. “I didn’t think about any other alternative but to continue to be a part of the program and build on everything that’s been accomplished and try to accomplish more. I think we’re going to get all this stuff behind us and continue to get better, and I want to be a part of that.

“I said I’d stay as long as I felt we were making a difference. I’ve had four wonderful years here. I don’t want to see this situation end. If they want me, I’ll stay as long as they want.”

Former KU assistant Tim Jankovich is coach in waiting at SMU and will take over when Brown retires.

We’ve got everything in place with Tim. All I care about is watching SMU grow. It would be nice to be a part of that,” Brown told the Morning News.

WSU an 8 seed?: ESPN’s latest Joe Lunardi Bracketology has No. 1 overall seed KU playing the winner of a play-in game between Austin Peay and Texas Southern in a first-round NCAA Tournament Midwest Regional game a week from Thursday in Des Moines.

Lunardi has the Jayhawks projected to play either Wichita State or Butler in the second round. In Lunardi’s projections, KU could meet either Duke or Iowa in the Sweet 16 and Xavier or Indiana in the Elite Eight.

A KU-Wichita State matchup in Des Moines would be interesting in that WSU would figure to have as many, if not more, fans in the stands than KU. Also, WSU plays Drake in Des Moines every season in Missouri Valley country, meaning the projected No. 8 seed Shockers could actually have an advantage in some ways over a 1-seed.

Sporting News points out that even though some have the Shockers on the NCAA bubble at 24-8 overall, the fact the team is ranked No. 11 nationally by Kenpom.com assures WSU an NCAA bid.

Travis Ford on way out?: The Tulsa World writes that OSU coaching legend Eddie Sutton would support the hiring of broadcaster/former OSU guard Doug Gottlieb as head coach if the Cowboys, as expected, buy out the final three years of coach Travis Ford’s 10-year contract.

“Most players who are any good, and if they’ve played in a good coaching situation, they can coach,” Eddie Sutton told the Tulsa World. “I would have no problem in supporting (Doug Gottlieb). I think Sean (Sutton, former OSU coach) would feel the same way.

“Doug is smart. I think he would be a great recruiter. If he’s smart enough to get good assistant coaches — guys who (are) similar to the way he feels — I think he would be all right.”

The World has suggested some names. “So will it be Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams? Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall? Stephen F. Austin’s Brad Underwood? Houston’s Kelvin Sampson? (Take a breath, Cowboy fans, his Cougars are currently 22-8 and in second place in the American Athletic Conference). Or maybe Louisville’s Rick Pitino? Or even CBS chatterbox and erstwhile Sutton point guard Doug Gottlieb? (Gottlieb, who has never coached, seems to be the fan favorite.)

Or why not (Eddie) Sutton himself? He missed Friday’s game, but even at 80, he frequently makes it to Stillwater. And on days he can’t, couldn’t he coach by Skype or FaceTime?” writes John E. Hoover.

Comments

Mike Riches 1 year, 7 months ago

There is absolutely no point in looking at tourney matchups until Sunday. Having said that, I think our guys would love a second round game against WSU, and the result this year would be very different than last year. I don't think there's another opponent in the field that would get our guys more fired up!

I would love for Doug Gottlieb to coach at OSU! Double bonus really-we wouldn't have to listen to his bias on the air anymore AND his team could lose regularly to Kansas, just like in his playing days!

Michael Leiker 1 year, 7 months ago

KU Iowa in Chicago. Count on it. Been calling that one for a couple of weeks now. That one scares me.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 7 months ago

Iowa won't be a high enough seed to play in Chicago.

Dave Miller 1 year, 7 months ago

If Doug Gottlieb were to get the job at OSU, you know every time he walked into AFH he would hear "Pants On Backwards" from the fans... Hell, when I see him on TV I still yell it at the tv... lol

Trace Stark 1 year, 7 months ago

Bring on the S. O. B. (Shorts on Backward) man!!!!

I believe he would be good for the Big 12, plus we wouldn't

have Mr. Pickens sniffing around our coach that way!!!

Jeff Coffman 1 year, 7 months ago

I've always been confused with the bracketing of some of the schools. In general the top 4 seeds in each bracket are supposed to be protected. Not playing against a team with equal or better location advantage. It's supposed to be a reward for being basically one of the top 16 teams. In theory I just want to understand why this wouldn't take affect. I still think this team has the mentality to win anywhere, but I don't understand these types of scenarios. If they were the 8 or so seed they shouldn't be playing in okc or destroy moines...just saying.

Michael Leiker 1 year, 7 months ago

If they had WSU as 8/9 in OKC, then Iowa 4/5 in Chicago they would have a very good chance of playing two teams back to back that were 50% closer to the game location than KU is. I agree WSU should be shipped off somewhere. But if Iowa as a 4 happens, that would be consistent with what they have done in the past. You don't penalize the 4 because they happen to have an advantage by being closer to the regional site than the 1. If Iowa is a 5, they should be shipped off as well.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 7 months ago

Des Moines is the closest site to Lawrence so that's why KU is projected there. Lunardi is an average at best bracketologist. He's the only major guy that still has WSU not on the bubble so that should tell everyone something about his track record. Iowa has also dropped 5 out of 7 so they're sliding down the seed lines right now so there' no way they end up in Chicago at this point as teams tend to get shipped away from home if they're an at-large team that's not a top 4 seed.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Lunardi must have fooled a lot of people at ESPN.

WSU, the MCV Conference Champions seems solid to me, 24-8, 16-2 MVC with the highest BPI ranking in the conference, the second highest SOS and 49th RPI overall.

Add winning 7 of the final 10 games and I think Wichita will be playing in the NCAA.

The only thing that could knock them out would be a very large number of upsets for the automatic bids.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 7 months ago

Lunardi invented Bracketology so that's why he's so revered even if his predictions are average at best. BPI is completely irrelevant to discussing if a team if tournament worthy.

Here's WSU's resume

RPI: 48 and falling (they were 10 spots higher this time last week before UNI beat them)

WSU is 1-4 against the RPI top 50 and just 2-7 against the RPI top 75

There are also other teams now firmly on the bubble as a result of failing to win their conference tournaments. Monmouth, St. Mary's, Valparaiso specifically. Syracuse is another team that will be sweating it out after losing to Pitt today. And that's just the teams that have already wrapped up their regular seasons. I believe there has only been one 1 seed win their conference tournament so far so upsets are happening. WSU is sliding as more upsets happen and they are likely going to slide on out of the tournament completely as the week rolls on.

There's still the A10 tournament with St. Bonaventure, VCU, George Washington and St. Joe's that can impact the bubble.

In the AAC, UConn, Tulsa, Cincinnati, and Houston will all impact the bubble.

In the SEC, South Carolina and Vanderbilt will impact the bubble.

In the Big 10, Ohio St. and Michigan will impact the bubble

The Big East, PAC 12, and Mountain West tournaments will also have impacts on the bubble.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Credit for well-thought-out position.

Seasons over and Wichita won seven of their last 10. Final RPI is 48 4 – 7 versus top 100 20 – 1 versus 100+ Highest BPI in conference Second-highest SOS in conference Regular-season conference champions

Worst performance was against Iowa,Sun, Nov 29 84-61 BPI was 33.3 but finished 82.7

Overall, no really bad losses stick out.

I think they are in but from "There are also other teams – Mountain West tournaments will also have impacts on the bubble.", every point you make does come into play but I don't agree about the level of impact.

Sunday isn't far away. If Wichita State doesn't make it, I will publicly recognize that you were correct. I wouldn't hold my breath though..

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 7 months ago

They got no business putting WSU against KU again, someone has to lose. Of course would want KU to win, but get no joy out of sending WSU home. WSU needs to go somewhere else.

Glen Miller 1 year, 7 months ago

I would get GREAT satisfaction sending WSU home. After they beat us last year and their fan base and University acted like they won the National Title..... I want nothing more than to send them home early, the earlier the better! I am from Wichita and the general distastefulness of that community, the posters made of the final score, the thought that they had surpassed us in legitimacy, the all around ignorance of reality made me hope and pray that we meet them again this year and DESTROY them.

Tom Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

"would get no joy out of sending WSU home"

So...you're from Wichita, then?

Robert Brock 1 year, 7 months ago

OSU would be crazy if they didn't hire Greg Marshall.

FWIW, it would be fantastic if KU and WSU played in Des Moines. Hawks win!!!

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

Gregg Marshall can do much better than the 'Pokes. He's far more accomplished than Shaka. Think of all the jobs that have been filled in the last 5 years where he wasn't interested, including Texas, Florida, USC, UCLA. At least 15 were better than Pickens State. Marshall will leave WSU for about a dozen jobs. KU, UK, AZ, MSU, UVA, Maryland, UNC, Duke, The OSU, Michigan, IU and UCLA if they can Alford. Maybe 'Cuse.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 7 months ago

Marshall has turned down better jobs than OSU.

Dale Rogers 1 year, 7 months ago

I was thinking the same thing.... why would he take a step backwards?

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes he has. I think Marshall is taking a page from Mark Turgeon. When the time is right, Marshall will leave Wichita State and move on to a more established team in a major conference.

I certainly don't believe that Oklahoma State is a step down from Wichita State. That might be a regionally held belief but not nationally.

Doing a simple comparison from when OSU and WSU began their programs up until now just doesn't back up that assertion. Wichita State is still a program where, talented young coaches build their resume and then move on. Similar to Tulsa although more successful.

Mike Greer 1 year, 7 months ago

I'd have to look up the records, but I know Coach Self took Tulsa to the Sweet Sixteen, I thought Tubby Smith and Nolan Richardson had similar success. I'm not aware that WSU has that much tournament history.

Mike Greer 1 year, 7 months ago

After a little research, WSU has more NCAA tournament history than I had thought. Also Coach Self took Tulsa to the elite eight n 2000 and Tubby had them in the sweet 16 in 94 and 95. Nolan took them to the tourney six straight years, but without much success in the 80's.

Dale Rogers 1 year, 7 months ago

Must be an Okie State fan who wants Self for themselves.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

And I always believed it was just a rumor that inbreeding caused the loss in one's ability to detect sarcasm..

Who knew?

Joe Ross 1 year, 7 months ago

LOL. Havent seen Bryce weigh in yet.

Randy Signor 1 year, 7 months ago

Anyone see that Michigan State's Valentine has guaranteed a national championship?

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Winning their conference would have put more weight behind his guarantee. I don't have a problem with kids being a little cocky but Valentine has added weight not just to himself but to his coaches and teammates.

I will say that I would have Michigan State in the top five of schools I think have the best chance of winning it all this year.

Dale Rogers 1 year, 7 months ago

I have to disagree with Eddie Sutton's comment that any good player who was in a good coaching situation can coach.... then I think of Pat Knight, Sean Sutton, Matt Doherty, etc. Doug Gottlieb is all mouth and no substance. I'd be stunned if he made it as a head coach.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Surprised Eddie Sutton would make that comment. Good examples disproving Sutton's comment. Admittedly, I believe that Matt Doherty would make a great head coach especially after his work under Roy as an assistant.

Harlan Hobbs 1 year, 7 months ago

In his defense, Bryce gave up the "Fire Bill Self" mantra a long time ago. He has also acknowledged that Coach has proven him wrong this year. Sounds like a pretty "stand up" position in my mind.

I think it is interesting that this notice of Bill Self's honor appeared on the Topeka Capital Journal website before the Lawrence Journal World's. Not good!

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 7 months ago

Jay, Wrong. Most of you list is correct, but some are not going to be enough to pry him from Wichita. Remember, Wichita is home to Charles Koch and he stepped up last year to keep him in town. He will again against OSU, Michigan or Cuse. And why would an attention hound like Marshall want to go to a football school when he can stay at WSU and be the BMOC? Money would be the only thing and they would have to pay top 5 type money for him. Which I don't think he's worth, yet. He already makes 3M/ yr. now

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 7 months ago

I think Marshall would seriously consider it if Syracuse offered. That's a top 10-15 program all time and place where you win big and it is most definitely a basketball first school. At this point, Gerry McNamara would probably be next in line at Syracuse or someone else from the Boehiem tree.

RJ King 1 year, 7 months ago

Half the people I work with (sports television) are Syracuse grads. It's been written in wet concrete for several years that Mike Hopkins is a lock for the head coaching job whenever Boeheim retires.

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

Always a pleasure to see another one of your unsupported condescending opinions Bri. Which school would Marshall turn down from that list? What other schools would he go to?

It's OK. We all realize that the only reason you responded personally to me is that you have a cute little crush. Sorry Bri. You're aiming a little out of your league.

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

Jay, honey, this is your Mommy. You've been in the basement yelling all week. Please come up and I'll make you a sandwich. Are you still mad about being stood up for Prom? Honeypie, that was 30 years ago. Please stop taking it out on your internet friends.

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

This is more intelligent than what you usually post "Bri." Not intelligent, just more intelligent.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 7 months ago

Marshall has turned down NC State and Missouri (comparable to Okie St. and Michigan), Alabama (who offered him $4 million per year). Marshall currently makes $3 million a year at WSU and Marshall has basically said he's only leaving WSU for a basketball blue blood.

"It could be the last job I ever have. I could retire from there," Marshall said during a recent interview. "Probably 13 of the last 17 years, we've had decisions to make, but I've had two jobs in that amount of time."

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

If I only had a dollar for every time I've heard a coach repeat that very same line:

"Marshall told ESPN.com last year that he was "very happy" at Wichita State, saying "it would take something really big" for him to leave."

Not saying you are wrong but history says differently. I really thought Shaka might want to stay at VCU and do what Mark Few did at Gonzaga.

RJ King 1 year, 7 months ago

Tom - that WAS a great article! Worth the read. Interesting account of the behind-the-scenes. Thanks!

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 7 months ago

Jay, you dumb sh!t, I've told u repeatedly that this is my wife's fb acct, so don't flatter yourself... All I said was that not all of those schools would be able to lure Marshall away, unless they backed up a dump truck full of money. Why would he go to UM or OSU? Football schools where Marshall and basketball would take a backseat , especially since both schools have so much promise and potential with their current fball coaches. The only answer would be money. And, why would UM or OSU dump top 5 coaching $ to a coach who isn't a top 5 coach? Some of those schools u mentioned would be able to lure him with other things such as tradition and history, but not all. The others would be simply $$$. And he's not worth any more than he's currently getting (which is a lot)... And Jay, lets be honest, the only person on this site who has a crush on you, is you. To quote the contemporary poet, Eminem, "I wouldn't pi$$ on fire to put you out".

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

An allegedly adult man thinks the thoughts you post? That's even more pathetic.

Since you don't know how to use FB, you probably can't figure out on your own that there's a "reply" button under each posted comment. That's a slightly more structured way to respond. Either way, the comment will still make you look stupid unfortunately.

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

Sweetums. I put your meds by the basement door. Did you find them when you came up to go potty?

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

You found a way to look even more more idiotic "Bri".... Impressive, and sad.

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

OH!! Is Bri the girl you've been talking about when I tuck you in? I guess I thought she was imaginary. I'm sorry for doubting you, sweety dumpling, but who could blame me? Anyway, I still love you. Please come up from the basement and i'll make you some "pisgettios!"

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

Cartoon Network has discussion boards I bet.....That might be a better place for you. Or The Beeb's website?

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

You just let it out, bumpkin. Mommy loves you.

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

This is easier for you than having intelligent thoughts on basketball, isn't it?

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

This is as easy for you as making unsolicited, misogynistic and disrespectful comments about pretty much anything, isn't it? Honeypie.

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

I'll mark you down for a yes. That was obvious.

You're supposedly a woman...but really (so you say) a man who was supposedly using his alleged wife's Facebook account and I'M misogynistic? Wow.. Are comments "unsolicited" when they respond directly by name, like you did? Wow...

Even for you that's hysterically stupid.

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

Of course I'm woman, my sweet boy. We talked about the birds and bees just a week or two ago... I remember you refused to stand up for an hour after that talk... You must have had a lot on your mind after that.

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

At least you're not making your wife look stupid by commenting under her name any more.....I'm sure that she knows what an idiot she married already.

Griselda Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

It seems like you're being awfully mean to this Bri girl. Maybe you should ask her to got to the soda shop or to a movie! You really do have some nice qualities, Honeydoodle, I'm sure once she gets to know you, she'll come around. I'll even iron a shirt for you to wear! Spiderman or My Little Pony?

Jay Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

......she can likely pass a securities exam Anthony.

How about you grow up and run along before you humiliate yourself any further?

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

You're a complete idiot! Everyone here can see it.

Michael Lorraine 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't have a dog in this fight, just wanted to see how narrow this reply gets. Is 14 a record?

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Not any longer..

WTF? I guess 14 is the limit.

Marius Rowlanski 1 year, 7 months ago

Don't take away her little 'pony' Jay. It needs batteries.

RJ King 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow. We've come a long way from the title of this article, "Self Lands Another Coaching Honor."

Like a perfect drive - spectacular scenery with great music providing the soundtrack. It's just too good to be true, as the incessant whining and punching starts up again from the back seat.