Monday, November 10, 2014

Dwyane Wade seeks out Andrew Wiggins

Former Kansas University basketball guard Andrew Wiggins of the Minnesota Timberwolves guarded All-Star Dwyane Wade at times in the Wolves’ 102-92 loss to Miami on Saturday night in Miami. Wade had 25 points off 11-of-16 shooting and eight boards in 30 minutes; Wiggins had 10 points off 3-of-9 shooting with one board in 28 minutes.

After the game, Wade sought out Wiggins.

“He asked me if I wanted to be great,” Wiggins told ESPN.com. “I said yes. He said I’ve got all the tools to be great, just keep working. Those words at the end of the game just motivate me,” Wiggins added. “Already I’m thinking about what he said, and it’s going to carry through for a long time now. He’s one of the people I watched growing up, one of the people I idolized. That guy right there is great.”

Before the game, Minnesota coach Flip Saunders told ESPN.com that the 19-year-old Wiggins can be “spectacular” at times but too often has “wasted minutes.”

Wiggins had a great pump fake, spin move and drive down the lane for a basket and foul vs. Miami that can be seen at Dime Magazine’s http://ljw.bz/1GGc4vx

Comments

Brett McCabe 3 years, 9 months ago

I remember something Tiger Woods said early on in the career of Michelle Wie, when she entered a PGA tournament. To paraphrase, he said that she should stay on the junior trail and women's tour for awhile because he felt that it was important to learn how to dominate.

No one in their right mind would have suggested that Andrew should have stayed in college but, if he had, I think this year would have been the year to learn to dominate at the collegiate level. This lesson would have benefited him in the pro game.

Keith Gellar 3 years, 9 months ago

i doubt it..it was clear from the get go his goal was NBA period. if it wasn't for one year rule, he would have bolted to nba. plus, its clear he has some motivational issues. we saw this @ KU and now in the NBA (read this on a scouts report)...he's brilliant for bits, but more then often, just disappears or becomes subpar. if he's the next LeBron, he needs to take a backseat to no one. once he left cavs, he has no excuse not to be the goto guy on his team. he has the athleticism and skills to dominate, but he's just not there mentally and not sure when he will get there. hopefully his first season in nba doesn't parallel his season @ KU.

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 9 months ago

I just want to be clear on what you're saying. Are you disappointed with Wiggins' time at KU?

Keith Gellar 3 years, 9 months ago

very! a loss to Stanford? really? I don't care if Embiid wasn't there. Wiggins was the most talented and athletic player on the floor. had he shown randle or jabari's level of aggression, we would have made it further. don't kid yourself.

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 9 months ago

"Don't kid yourself." If you're an intelligent person you'll realize comments like that are no way to communicate. I agree I would have liked to see more aggression, but his stats alone show he had one of the best freshmen seasons a KU player has had. The loss at Stanford was a total team effort. Ask any player and coach and they will accept partial blame, and rightfully so.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 9 months ago

I think KU's loss v Stanford would be more accurately described as a total LACK of team effort..just saying : )

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 9 months ago

Yea, that's what I meant. I forget a few words here and there typing from my phone. Thanks for the correction though.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Fitz, comments like that are no way to communicate? LOL. You cant be bellicose in discourse and then lecture others about remaining civil. Dont kid yourself.

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to clarify something Joe before your misunderstandings lead to stupidity. My name is not "Fitz", it's John. Are we clear?

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 9 months ago

Also, I realize I've offended you in many cases and I want to apologize for stooping to your level. I don't like being disrepectful.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Excuse me for the misunderstanding; however, I didnt think youd mind because Ive seen others call you that and you never indicated a problem. If you dont like it I wont bother you with the name, but for someone who dishes a lot you seem a bit sensitive. You say you dont like to be disrespectful, but in the same comment you talk about "stooping to my level" and in the comment prior you make references to "stupidity". It seems you can't help yourself, but i dont imagine either of us loses sleep worrying about our respective opinions of one another. But there needs to be a reckoning with reality. In our initial conversations, I never "went after you". You brought the drama my way and youve left a trail of comments that can be displayed which prove that. So youre overplaying your hand when you talk about coming down to another level. Which is why its interesting to me that you feel it necessary and appropriate to lecture others on how to comport themselves respectably. In any case, your response made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjgpo...

Curtis Stutz 3 years, 9 months ago

Keith Gellar, don't kid yourself, if you had Wiggins' talent and the refs were going to let people undercut you all day and call charges you'd stop being aggressive and start looking forward to draft day. I'm amazed Wiggins was aggressive as he was all year 'cause the Stanford game wasn't the first time people were allowed to take cheap shots at him like that. If you want to get calls and not have to fear an injury that will cost you your NBA career you apparently need to go to a NE school like UConn or Syracuse so you can get the call every time 'Melo style. Sad state of college athletics. If you doubt what I'm saying about the Stanford game go back and watch their bigs undercut Wiggins, it was absurd. Also not sure if you remember this other somewhat talented player that didn't go far in his freshman NCAA tourney, Kevin Durant. Maybe the name rings a bell? Randle was a beast, he was also allowed to shove KSU players in the back or jump on them every time he went for an offensive rebound. Refs dominate the college game, so easy to do in basketball. That's why I mostly stick to tennis. Had Wiggins or Durant got anything near the 'Melo treatment from the NCAA they'd both have been national champs.

Keith Gellar 3 years, 9 months ago

wow..so we're actually blaming the refs huh....did you really go to KU?

Walter Bridges 3 years, 9 months ago

Wiggins did dominate at the HS level but I still like your comment. Wiggins did not dominate in his one year at KU. I thought he actually underperformed but the NBA apparently felt different.

It took Kobe a few years to really get going and I think Wiggins will become one of the most successful KU alumnus to play in the NBA.

Mike Riches 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't know that the NBA felt differently...I think they drafted Wiggins and Embiid based on their potential versus what they had accomplished to that point.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Brett, for once I agree with you. From everything else OUTSIDE of paycheck considerations--and I do mean everything else--I dont think it was in the best interest of either Wiggins or Embiid to come out last year. Im not saying that from a fan's selfish desire to see these guys stick around to increase our odds at winning a title, even though that would certainly have been the case. Wiggins was very young and lacked experience at the college level. He disappeared at times in a Jayhawk uniform. Even setting the freshman record for scoring at Kansas, Wiggins never got near his ceiling in the college game. He dominated some games, but he never did so consistently. To make a case then that he should make the jump to the NBA when he did, one must prioritize money above all other considerations. The above is more true for Embiid than it was for Wiggins. He was very green and though he was making progress at an astounding rate, one more year of nailing down the fundamentals of the game would have seen Joel rocketing past the competition in the post--at the NBA level! As a Jayhawk fan, Im quite disappointed in the quality of talent we send to the NBA, only to witness their underachieving because they thought it best to leave college early. But hey..."It's MY MONEY, and I WANT IT NOW!" Hard to fault them for taking that view, but it's equally as hard to accept they could have performed better if they had further developed their skills and mindsets at the mid-level (college).

John Fitzgerald 3 years, 9 months ago

The great thing about Wiggins is he's a terrific person. The bad thing about Wiggins is he's a terrific person. Until he developes a chip on his shoulder I'm not sure he will be as dominate as he wants. I hope I'm wrong, but either way I still think he will be a good basketball player.

Keith Gellar 3 years, 9 months ago

exactly! he's on cruise control..and was on cruise control all of his season @ KU.

Mike Riches 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't know why, but Dwyane Wade has always been one of my favorite NBA players. That he would take the time to seek Wiggins out to tell him this, is really no surprise. Of course my favorite game Wade played in was in the 2003 Final Four! :)

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 9 months ago

Mike, I agree. I think that this is a noble move by Wade, and shows that he cares about more than just his own career. He cares about the future of the game of basketball.

It's hard not to compare gesture from Wade to Wiggins against a major snub toward Wiggins by the best basketball player on the planet in a certain open letter to SI.

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 9 months ago

Keith,

I don't agree that Andrew having a first year in the NBA that rivaled his first year in college would be a disappointment. I think the Timberwolves would be a ecstatic if he set rookie scoring marks and was a second team all NBA player. Just because he didn't live up to the ridiculously unattainable hype does not mean that he did not have a good year. Shame on you

Keith Gellar 3 years, 9 months ago

really? unattainable hype? He brought this on himself when he said his only goal is to win the NC. This is KU damnit not some mediocre KSU, Texas squad. There's a reason why majority of the analysts predicted KU making it farther even without Embiid.

If we go by Brianna's logic, I guess we should just be happy to make it to the tourney. Forget all this unattainable hype about KU making it to the FF.

Walter Bridges 3 years, 9 months ago

If Wiggins had stated his #1 goal was to be the first draft pick in the NBA would that be better?

I do agree that winning an NC was hardly 'unattainable hype'. With two top 3 NBA draft picks, a NC should be a realistic expectation.

Mike Riches 3 years, 9 months ago

I think the unattainable hype that Brianna is referring to is more the SI cover (Wilt, Manning, Wiggins) than when Wiggins said he wanted to win a championship. Bill Self said repeatedly last year that Wiggins didn't bring the hype on himself, and I believe that. From only allowing one local reporter to be there when he announced he was coming to KU, to the countless interviews he did before, during and after his time at KU, Wiggins seems like a pretty humble kid. If no one had ever heard his name before coming to KU, and then he turned around and had the kind of season that he had last year (aka performance minus hype), we would all have been blown away, and there would be no question as to whether it was a good freshman season or not. I'm not saying he was always as aggressive as I would have liked to have seen him, I definitely wish he had had the kind of game against Stanford that he had against WV, but that doesn't change the fact that he had a great freshman season as a Jayhawk.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Brianna, let's differentiate between unattainable hype and player development that was left unattained.

Brian Skelly 3 years, 9 months ago

You cant change the person. The person has to want to change and do it themselves. For all the hype of Mr. Wiggins as the next big thing, he certainly didnt play last year (or this year so far) like he is. He needs to be infinitely more aggressive than he is now if he's going to do all the things people keep heaping up on him -- which isnt fair by the way, but he help sell that too, so it is what it is -- and for him not to be considered an underachiever. He strikes me as one who's not comfortable being the guy at the top of the pyramid. That's why staying in Cleveland would have been great. Robin to LeBron's Batman. I dont think he'll be a 'bust'. He's so athletic and wise about how to play already. Im quite sure he's an 10+ year NBA guy. But if he's going to be "the guy" we think he's supposed to be, him having his motor cranking more would help. Im just not sure he has that in him.

Joe Ross 3 years, 9 months ago

Some one-and-dones make a splash as soon as they enter the NBA. Wiggins is not doing so right now because of "basketball immaturity" (though by every other measure no one could impugn his physical, mental, or personal development). He needed to learn how to dominate the game at every level before moving on. Coming out last year was the RIGHT thing to do for financial considerations. But it's clear that the college game could have served Andrew better than what he allowed it to.