Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 77-70

• 2 p.m., March 13, 2014
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Thursday, March 13, 2014

No doubt: Andrew Wiggins explodes for 30 points in OT win over Oklahoma State

Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins celebrates after a lob dunk before Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown during the second half on Thursday, March 13, 2014 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self, Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden discuss KU's OT win vs. Oklahoma State

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self, as well as freshmen Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden, discuss KU's OT win vs. Oklahoma State in the Big 12 Tournament quarterfinals.

Download podcast

Wayne Selden and Naadir Tharpe discuss KU's OT win over OSU

Kansas guards Wayne Selden and Naadir Tharpe discuss the Jayhawks' 77-70 overtime win over Oklahoma State in the Big 12 quarterfinals.

KANSAS 77, OKLAHOMA STATE 70 (OT)

Box score

— Andrew Wiggins has sensed some gloom and doom — outside of Kansas University’s basketball locker room — regarding the Jayhawks’ chances of making a deep run in the NCAA Tournament without injured big man Joel Embiid.

“A lot of people were doubting us, saying we wouldn’t be any good with Joel out,” Wiggins said after scoring 30 points off 9-of-17 shooting (3-of-6 from three; 9-of-10 from the line) in KU’s 77-70 overtime victory over Oklahoma State in Thursday’s Big 12 tournament quarterfinals in Sprint Center.

“We’re trying to prove to them we’re good either way. With Joel, it’s a plus,” Wiggins added of the 7-foot freshman center who is ticketed to miss the entire Big 12 tourney and likely at least the first weekend of the NCAAs because of a stress fracture in his back.

“We’re better with him. Losing one of the best players in the country, you are going to get down a little bit. We’ve got a lot of people who can step in. If we play hard, we can try to fill his shoes."

Wiggins, KU’s 6-foot-8 freshman shooting guard from Ontario, Canada, scored 41 points in last Saturday’s loss to West Virginia, the second straight game Embiid missed. On Thursday, Wiggins followed it up with 30 points, becoming the first Jayhawk since Danny Manning to score 30 or more points in back-to-back games (three games in February 1988).

It's also believed to be the most points by a Jayhawk in back-to-back games since Bud Stallworth had 78 (50 against Missouri, 28 at Oklahoma State) late in the 1973 season. The KU record for most points in consecutive games is 91 by Wilt Chamberlain against Northwestern (52) and Marquette (39) in December of 1956.

“We needed to have some success without Jo,” KU coach Bill Self said of a victory that pushed the Jayhawks into Friday's 6 p.m. semifinal against Iowa State. “We are 3-1 without him (but) the competition was much stiffer today. Obviously we didn’t respond well in West Virginia (92-86 loss last Saturday).

“This was important for our team to have some success without him, but it was also important for ‘Wiggs’ to know he can put a team on his back for a period of time. I don’t want to say he’s shied away from it, but he hasn’t really embraced it the whole year. He certainly has the last two games,” Self added.

Self is not necessarily expecting inflated scoring outings from Wiggins in every game the rest of his one-and-done season.

“I said he’s not going to score 41 every night (after Saturday’s loss). Now I’m going to tell you he’s not going to score 30 every night, but he’s capable of plugging himself in and being the best player in the gym. That’s what he did tonight,” Self said.

Wiggins had a chance to win it on the final possession of regulation. He launched a deep three after stumbling with the ball with four ticks left and the score, 67-67. Tarik Black (12 boards, seven points) scored a stick-back basket just after the final horn sounded, sending the game to OT.

“I had a little down screen into a handoff. Marcus Smart (14 points, 4-14 shooting) blew up the handoff,” Wiggins said. “The ball fumbled so I knew I had to put up a shot.”

The (24-8) Jayhawks felt positive about their chances in OT after Self’s talk in the huddle prior to the tip.

“Coach Self said, ‘What else would you want to be doing on a Saturday evening (actually Thursday) at 5 o’clock besides playing basketball in the Big 12 tournament?’’’ said freshman Wayne Selden, who scored 14 points and did a nice job guarding Smart. “This is what we played AAU ball for, what we played high school ball for. It’s what we played basketball for our whole lives, so what’s five minutes going to do? Go compete the next five minutes,’’ Selden added.

Self’s speech inspired Wiggins, who was crucial in crunch time of regulation, hitting a 12-foot fadeaway that tied the game at 67 with 1:05 left. He had also flushed a lob from Selden (immediately following a lob from Tharpe to Tarik Black) to give the Jayhawks a 65-62 lead at 2:41.

“Coach was trying to cool us all down, make us realize there’s nothing we’d rather do than the thing we love,” Wiggins said of Self’s pre-OT speech.

Perry Ellis busted a 70-70 tie by converting tip-in rebound of a Selden miss at 2:29. Selden hit one of two free throws to give KU a 73-70 lead at 1:57. Tharpe (eight points, seven assists, two turnovers) hit four of six free throws in the final  37 seconds, while the Jayhawks had several stops on defense. KU outscored OSU, 10-3, the extra session.

“Our players love Jo,” Self said, referring back to Embiid. “He was in the locker room afterward. The great thing about this win for us ... we know we can do it without him, but also everybody knows we are better with him. Just because we don’t have a player who is a talented kid, for however long, doesn’t change who we are or what our goals should be. Our goals are not going to change,” Self noted. “They never change regardless of who is suited up. I think it should give us a little confidence.”

Especially with Wiggins scoring in bunches.

Wiggins said he’s ready for the postseason after talking to brother Nick, a Wichita State player who helped the Shockers to last year’s Final Four.

“I’ve talked to my brother about it a lot,” he said. “From his experience last year, he said you wouldn’t believe how amazing it is if you are not there to witness. I just want to be able to feel that feeling with my team, my coach and give the fans a great year.”

Comments

Dale Rogers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

"It’s also believed to be the most points by a Jayhawk in back-to-back games since Manning’s 67 against Missouri (37) and Oklahoma (30) February of ‘88."

Umm, since Wiggins' 71 (41+30) is more than Manning's 67 (37+30), I wonder how far back you have to go to find where that "since" actually belongs?

Nick Gerik 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Dale: Best we can tell, Wiggins' 71 is the most since Bud Stallworth scored 78 points in back-to-back games in 1973. We added the info (and the KU record) to the story above.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Stallworth came out firing (Frisbee) from his introduction v. MO to go along with that 50. When you say Bud (Stallworth), you’ve said it all.

Dale Rogers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Thank you. I appreciate your follow through.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I’m still trying to figure out how OUS got off 13 shots (66-53) more than the Hawks. We had 9 more turnovers and 5 fewer fouls but those should have easily been offset by our huge +16 rebounding margin.

I bet we all felt pretty good when Wiggins hit the FT to put us up by 8 …. then nearly fainted when OSU scored 8 points in 36 seconds (6:58 Brown deuce, 6:50 Forte 3, 6:32 Smart layup) with two unforced turnovers by Wiggins and Tharpe to help. We have a knack to make things as hard as possible.

Embiid’s tweet stating how beautiful CA was make more sense when knowing he visited Dr. Robert Watkins at his Del Mar CA office. Watkins is the same surgeon who worked on Peyton Manning. I’m not sure where that WHB guy is coming from since he basically confirmed and said that same thing as the KU doctors. He advised Embiid to sit out for a short period. Check out Watkins youtube…. www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPpvhE_NXH0

My bet is Embiid returns for the round of 32 game, if needed.

Dale Rogers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

We live just a few miles from Del Mar but assumed Embiid was up in the L.A. area. He's correct, this is a beautiful area.

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

You must be rich..why don't you kick in for the new BBall Housing Fund. My buddy was in KC and part of the Williams Fund dinner and said Bill was working the tables and couldn't have been nicer.

People are totally jealous but Bill Self is not the face of NCAA Coaching for nothing...in all seriousness, I think Bill Self would make one heck of a President of the United States.

THE PORBLEM??? He's too smart to take the job!!! :)

Dale Rogers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I wish I was rich! But, alas, not even close. Not everyone out here is rich. I don't live IN Del Mar, just about 18 miles from there.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Opps....He as in the LA area...Marina Del Rey near Santa Monica. I had this summer's Del Mar Fair on my mind. That is still a nice area and Embiid will certainly have the money to afford a nice spread.

Kent Richardson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

You win the bet. Dr Watkins could star in he Buddy Ebsen story..

Steve Zimmerman 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I never worry about Wiggs. He's super cool. Too cool. But I hope he won't cool off for the rest of the season.

Jason Keller 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Keep shooting. Keep attacking. I don't care if they're not going down. We're better when Wiggins is taking more shots than anyone else.

Reggie Flenory 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Man i wish wiggins would stay one more yr i really like this kid

Jason Keller 6 months, 3 weeks ago

My god, where did this motor come from? Remember when Andrew used to take a series off from time to time? He played the entire game, guarded the best players and provided far and away the most offense. Oh and by the way, he went harder than anyone else in the gym.

The kid just looks good out there. That's about all there is to it.

Erich Hartmann 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Jamari Traylor hustled his butt off as well. Note to OSU fans: Jamari > Kamari.

Man, I love everything about Wiggins, except the fact he is leaving after only 1 year. Imagine a OAD being a consumate team guy, yet still able to be an alpha by example.

Wayne Selden had another solid game...

Not trying to kick KY while they are down, but I really, really like our freshmen (Wiggy, WaynesWorld, BigBiid, Masonry), and how Self has them integrated into the system. KY was supposed to have the best recruiting class in the history of the world...but I like our guys better, and...our guys play better (judging a season's worth of stats).

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

This is like riding a roller coaster from hell this season. I hope we just started the longest stretch upward.

Mick Allen 6 months, 3 weeks ago

As usual Brent was awful in his broadcast. Over and over he commented on what warriors the OSU players were. Recounting again and again how Forte,Brown and Smart were playing through injuries, how thin their bench was because of the injury of Cobbins, the dismissal of the backup freshman point guard, how fatigued they were from playing the night before and generally how "tough" OSU was. After initially mentioning in pregame the absent Joel Embiid, this rather large factor was not mentioned again during the entirety of the broadcast. It would seem to have been appropriate to mention at least once that KU beat a very good team with out its second best player. I thought Brent was going to present Forte, Brown and Smart with Purple Hearts after the game. OSU should have paid him for his pr. Fran's broadcast has unfortunately been compromised by his association with Brent. Until we get Joel back, give the ball to Wigs and get out of his way. What an exceptional talent, to borrow a Larry Brown adjective, Wigs is "special". I hope Kevin Purple of 810 read the comments of Joel's dad as far as how Kansas has handled Joel's back injury, after Purple insinuated that HCBS's treatment of the injury was perhaps furthering his ambitions at the expense of Joel's future.

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Mick, I wasn't even going to bring up the one sided commentary.. It was so over the top - WARRIORS This team is made up of WARRIORS! They've overcome so much (even though most was SELF inflicted) this season.

Volume was turned down low!

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Wiggins is going to need to go off like this every game for them to have a chance.

Mick Allen 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Back on the band wagon Rodney?

Matt Bowers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Rodney has yet to post anything positive in nearly two weeks. I am beginning to associate his photo with Fox News. Always negative.

Aaron Paisley 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Please keep the political crap out of here. The liberal networks did the same when Bush was in power and will do so again the next time there's a Republican president.

Kent Richardson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I see Mr. Crain as a person who doesn't qualify his comments to soften the blow. You can respect that or not. Rodney be Rodney.

If he would say this team usually follows a great effort with a good half, bad half effort he would only be telling the truth.

I think we may have seen the light, Brother Love style, riding the birdmen bringing fire, pestilence, four scorers and seven years of drought to an end.

Andy Tweedy 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm beginning to think it's a pen name for ahperse...

Walter Bridges 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks Matt! I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating you sharing some of your political views. How about some info on your feelings towards religion?

John Fitzgerald 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Rodney, I agree with you sir. If Wiggs continues to play like this, we can make it to the sweet 16 and hopefully get Embiid back. I also think Perry needs to step it up, and if he can, then we should be able to play well from here on out. Defense and Rebounds will keep us in the tourney.

Titus Canby 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Not just Wiggins. The entire team needs to play hard and play smart. I'm not nearly as concerned about missing Embiid as I am about our team bringing energy and playing defense. Our rebounding margin yesterday (+18?) was a great sign of energy.

Rodney Crain 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Mick, Matt, Andy, typical attack junk, pick up your game we are in the post season.

My comment was benign but you use it to comment on me instead of the team or agree or disagree with me on my comment. My comments are supportive, critical or benign of our team for the most part depending on how they played their last game. So I guess I am on every wagon. Weak Mick...

So if you think you are making a point you are, you are off target and the one being negative here.

I have disagreed with John on many levels recently, but at least his comment to me on this post makes sense, comments on our team and has no disrespect in it.

Thanks John I think you post is right on spot. Kent appreciate the post. Aaron thanks for trying to get these yahoos to focus, Titus great post.

Ryan Zimmerman 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I was listening to the game on the radio and it said when Smart and Wiggins went to shake hands pre-game, Smart said something and Wiggins just basically ignored it and left without saying anything. I wonder what it was all about

Kent Richardson 6 months, 3 weeks ago

"I'm really sorry for being a dick all year and you really are as good as all the hypsters were saying. I screwed up big time and Andrew you are a better man than I am and your sophmore year would be a lot of fun."

John Fitzgerald 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Smart: "I'm gonna score 30 on you tonight." So Wiggins decided the best way to respond was to speak with his actions.

Ryan Zimmerman 6 months, 3 weeks ago

that actually sounds like something he would say

Titus Canby 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Did you also hear the OSU players' post-game comments? All excuses. "We had to play yesterday." "It was a KU crowd." Blah, blah, blah. That had to be fed to them by their coaches.

Matt Bowers 6 months, 3 weeks ago

This was an exciting game. Was it 2007 when Kansas played Texas for the Big XII championship? This felt like that game. Solid performance from a young team. This team has been streaky all season and I like this current streak!

Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 6 months, 3 weeks ago

All victories feel good but some are sweeter based on who you beat;

1] Duke - It's Duke...need I say more.

2] Kansas State....it never gets old beating these guys..especially with Weber there now.

3] Okie State....Smart, Forte, T Bone Pickens, Ford...it's easy to dislike these guys.

4] Georgetown....John Thompson left the building a looonng time ago.

5] Baylor.....beating Coach Dingleballs is so easy...AND fun!!!

6] Iowa State...not out of disrespect for the players and their classy coach but for their less than classy fans!!

Steve Brown 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Recently in Del Mar for a wedding, loverly!

Wiggs is so cool, my new name for him: Clark Kent, superman on the inside and regular joe on the outside.