Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cowboys lose emotional game at Kansas

Kansas players celebrate as Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown breaks into their huddle during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 at Allen Fieldhouse. Brown was issued a technical foul during the incident.

Kansas 80, Oklahoma State 78

Box score

Despite a combined six technical fouls in 15th-ranked Kansas University’s 80-78 men’s basketball victory over No. 9 Oklahoma State on Saturday, neither KU coach Bill Self nor Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford believed there was anything nasty about Saturday’s classic Big 12 showdown in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It was emotion,” a disappointed Ford said after the game. “I don’t think any of it was dirty or anything like that. Two teams that played very, very hard. They’ve got good kids. We’ve got good kids. Two teams that were trying their hardest to win the game.”

Added OSU sophomore guard Marcus Smart, who put himself in the middle of all kinds of contact plays all day: “This is an emotional game. It’s a passionate game, especially with a game like this, as hyped up as it was. You had two teams coming at it that are very great teams with very talented players, so obviously you’re going to have emotions flying everywhere.”

The Cowboys, particularly, experienced all sorts of highs and lows throughout Saturday’s 40-minute drama.

At tipoff, the Cowboys (15-3 overall, 3-2 Big 12) had more than a little bounce and took the floor determined to show they were ready to do what they did in this same building a year ago: win. But by the eight-minute mark of the first half, they were down 14 points, the product of a 13-0 Kansas run, and had the howls of Allen Fieldhouse ringing in their ears.

With 48 seconds to play in the first half, the Cowboys trailed by a game-high 19 points, but less than seven minutes of game clock later had trimmed KU’s lead to just four, 54-50, following a ferocious start to the second half.

“We should’ve come out like that the first half,” Smart said.

On an individual level, no Cowboy experienced that up-and-down flow quite like Smart, who finished with 16 points in 39 minutes but made just three of 14 shots from the floor.

It would be easy to say Smart had an off night, but — aside from his shooting — the rest of his stat line showed a different story. In fact, the All-American candidate landed just one assist shy of a triple-double, finishing with 10 rebounds, nine assists and four steals to go along with his poor shooting.

Asked after the game if all of his misfires had him in a foul mood, Smart shook it off.

“I wasn’t that frustrated,” Smart said. “I knew coming into this game they were going to do everything in their will not to let me score. So I had to become a facilitator, and I was finding the open guys, and my teammates were hitting open shots.”

Despite all of Saturday’s wild twists and turns, the Cowboys somehow found themselves with possession in the waning seconds and a chance to tie or win. But instead of being the hero by hoisting a memorable shot, Le’Bryan Nash was stripped by KU freshman Frank Mason. and the Jayhawks (13-4, 4-0) came out on top.

“It’s incredible coming into this gym, this hostile environment, down 19 and coming all the way back and having a chance at the end,” Smart said.

Added Ford: “There’s definitely some positives that came out of this game. And quite a few negatives, too.”

Comments

Doug Cramer 8 months ago

The game down in Stillwater is gonna be nuts.

Brett McCabe 8 months ago

Interesting to hear Self say that his team is going to be a much better team by the time they head to Stillwater. You can tell that he really believes in these guys.

Bryce Landon 8 months ago

Yeah, a lot of negatives, like:

(1) Marcus Smart is every bit as bad about flopping as anyone on the Iowa State roster.

(2) OSU's players are punks and thugs who are prone to temper tantrums.

(3) Both (1) and (2) reflect on the character and integrity of Travis Ford.

OSU has gone from a classy program under Eddie Sutton to a bunch of gangsters with Ford as their boss. I lost all respect for the Cowboys basketball program based on what I saw of them today, and I will never root for the Cowboys program again until Ford is gone.

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

Nothing like crimson and blue comments. There was plenty of attitude on both side of the ball, but no thudding. Definitely glad for the toughness of Mari, Wayne, Tarik, and even Mason to balance the laid back Tharpe, Ellis, Wiggins. Nobody was backing down. Just playing strong.

Len Shaffer 8 months ago

That's pretty extreme, Bryce. It was a tough, physical game and both sides got a little overheated. But I don't recall any of the OSU players stepping over a KU player when he was down, the way Selden did. That was the most classless thing in the game. Add that to Joel's third technical in three games, and referring to another team as "punks and thugs" is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I hope Self can get a handle on some of the things the KU players are doing, before it becomes a real problem.

Mark Lindrud 8 months ago

I'm. Yo a fan of Smart the man, but we need to focus in us. Joel needs to control his emotions and avoid foul trouble. Ellis seems to be in a funk that concerns me. Selden had costly turnovers, and we need to be better prepared for teas trapping because we early collapsed from it.

Kye Clark 8 months ago

Agree 100% on Smart and his flopping. Worst I've seen in years. Soccer-esque. Lost a lot of respect for him today. There's a difference between trying to steal a call here & there and the acting job he had going on.

Equally as pathetic was Doug Gottlieb in the pre-game and at halftime.

Kye Clark 8 months ago

Also, the officiating was a joke. Traylor gets a technical foul for...being there when Marcus Smart forearms him in the chest after OSU calls a timeout? Selden gets a technical/flagrant 1 for...making absolutely no contact with Smart's face with his elbow despite Smart's rubberneck act? A fact that should have been abundantly clear after the refs spent several minutes at the monitor. I don't know, maybe it's in the rules that no contact has to be made, but intent...? Regardless that was a bogus call. The charge/blocking/"uh, we don't know so let's just call it a jump ball"?

Lonnie Ross Dillon 8 months ago

Selden hit Smart with the left elbow. Wasn't much, but contact was made. What I never heard explained was Embiid's technical. He was hit and a foul was called, next thing I know OSU is shooting free throws. Anyone have a clue?

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

He pushed the guy away - I'm recalling with a hand to the face.

It seemed to me that the ref's were going out of their way to call offsetting fouls so that neither team/fans got carried away.

I believe it also was Nash that was dribbling when the first T's were called, and Smart came over to attempt to be a peacemaker. Jamari did take a swipe at the ball or something like that at the very beginning, so it wasn't like he just happened to be there. And you never know what was said during the discussion - just like Brown's.

From some angles it did look like Selden's elbow hit Smart, tho I thought there was also one that showed there was always separation, but that was only shown once so I'm not certain.

Kye Clark 8 months ago

It must have been Brown, not Smart or Nash. Brown had two technicals, and Clark had one. None for Nash or Smart. I've watched the replay quite a few times now. Jamari does take a "swipe" at the ball, but to me that's too much of a stretch to call a technical. Put it another way, it that incident happens by itself, say after a traveling call, is it a technical? No way. On the other hand, someone delivering a running forearm shiver after the whistle? Probably

And here's a youtube video where someone has blown up the footage it looks like and you can clearly see the separation. Also, Ian Eagle calling him out for the "acting job".

Brett McCabe 8 months ago

Horrible call with a capital HORRIBLE. If the rule allows you to review video to upgrade the penalty, then it should allow you downgrade it when you see that Smart was never touched.

David Gisi 8 months ago

Brown passed his own bench as time was being called. He knew full well there was a timeout before he even got to half court, but he kept dribbling and went straight at Traylor, who did just happen to be standing there as he was moving toward his own bench. There is nothing that Traylor could possibly have done or said, comparative to Brown's actions that justified an "equal" penalty.

Gerry Butler 8 months ago

Lonnie waynes elbow made NO CONTACT AT ALL with smart NONE WHAT SOEVER

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

Also, Jo went through the rim for one of his blocks (i.e.. goaltending = 2 pts), and "cowboys ride free" has a photo of a Jayhawk on the end line prior to scoring a basket, and a clear push off by Naa prior to receiving a pass, and on and on.

David Gisi 8 months ago

I presume the foot out of bounds pic is of Black on the base line. I wasn't sure live if his foot was in before he caught the ball or not. Never saw a 2nd look to tell, but the ref was right there. I'm sure the cowboy site doesn't show the pic of the bear hug that I did see Smart putting on Selden while he was making that pass tho. I guarantee for every officiating complaint OSU could make about that game there are at least 2 more egregious calls that favored them. The only KU player actions that concern me from this game is Joel, who clearly is having difficulty controlling his arms in response to the abuse he is taking. He is getting held, undercut, and just plain mugged constantly. He is not responding to it well. The frustration is understandable, but he's got to deal with it and stay under control.

Gerry Butler 8 months ago

agai maybe the guys needs to go to Oklahoma state and see if we can enroll in dramatic's classes they are exceptional with their class.. jamari gets called for a tech after the thunder dunk from black, and Oklahoma state called time out and brown gives a forearm into jamari and jamari nothing in return? I take that back other then jawing some MAYBE, lets be real here. the refs came real close to losing total control of that game, very fortunate a all out brawl didn't take place, emotions really really high.

David Gisi 8 months ago

That video you posted shows clearly that no contact was made by Selden on the play. I doubt the refs were getting that close of a view in the monitor though. Plus I think they have to call that flagrant with the way the rule is. Players are taught now not to make the motion that Selden made with the ball. You have to learn to not do that. At the same time, as a defender, I feel like if a player with the ball raises his arms up, you don't stick your face in there! The thing that the refs should have been able to see clearly is that when Selden's elbow moves to his left, Smart's immediate reaction was to jerk his head in the opposite direction. Bad acting attempt. If contact had been made, even slightly, Smart's head should have first moved in the direction Selden was swinging. Very simple logic. This was just like the foul called on Black in the first half. Smart chasing the ball into the corner, with Black following. Smart couldn't stop before going out of bounds, so he threw himself backwards and yelled. Black didn't touch him. Logic says if a 260+ pound guy runs into you, he is going to move you in the direction he is moving. Smart moved exactly opposite of what would have happened if Black had even slightly touched him. I have no respect for Smart after that game. There were definitely calls/non-calls that favored each team to a degree, but all of the technical/double foul situations favored OSU. They were thug aggressive the entire game, and it seemed very planned. It appeared that they were intentional, that when they started getting whipped to turn it into a gang fight mentality. The double tech with Traylor and Brown was all instigated by Brown and continued to try to come at Traylor and every other KU player. If the refs had simply T'd Brown at that point, it likely would have sent a message and curbed a lot of the other things that happened. In truth, his actions warranted ejection right then and there. The double tech call basically rewarded the OSU punk game plan and it spiraled downhill from there.

Rich Hetherington 8 months ago

I could not agree more about Gottlieb! I always thought he was an okay analyst, but after hearing him call 1 game, and provide pre-game and half-time analysis in another this year, I'm really disappointed, and maybe even disgusted by his clear bias against Kansas.

With him being an OSU alum, I get that he is competitive and frankly doesn't like Kansas and that's okay. But to make it so clearly known by your comments and demeanor when providing commentary and analysis during KU games is unprofessional and as Kye put it, pathetic. He could learn a lot from co-analyst Seth Davis, who showed to me that he's clearly in a class above Gottlieb!

Jason Keller 8 months ago

Doug Gottlieb is trash. He absolutely cannot stand KU's success. He downplayed everything KU did and made nothing but excuses for OSU. His mouth is garbage, keep him away from the program.

Bryce Landon 8 months ago

And keep him off of CBS! Let him go work for the Cowboy Radio Network or something.

Lance Topeka 8 months ago

Hey KU fans! Join my group petitioning CBS Sports to fire Gottlieb!

Jason Keller 8 months ago

Doug Gottlieb should be fired from everything. Media members are allowed to have alliances but he is malicious towards KU and I've had about enough. The university needs to step in and ask that he not call or breakdown games anymore. And if another LJW writer tells me Gottlieb is cool with the Jayhawks, I'll have a seizure and my head will explode.

Rich Hetherington 8 months ago

I totally agree. I don't know what's gotten into him this season, but in 2 games that he called or provided analysis for in the pre-game and half-time, he has shown clear disdain for Kansas and extreme bias against them. It made me like Seth Davis much more that he wasn't showing that kind of unprofessionalism or buying into the garbage Gottlieb was spewing!

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

I've heard Doug speak supportively of the Big12 and KU before, but he was real pouty for this one. Seemed almost like a tantrum from my 6 yo at the half. Made me chuckle - a little, because I knew they would have the first string back in for the 2nd half. They have no frontline to begin with, and our 2's are almost as good as our 1's., hence the bloodbath of the first half. March 1st is going to be real entertaining. The ref's will need combat pay.

Yonatan Negash 8 months ago

Although Kansas is not all there yet, I think they've separated themselves from the rest of the Big 12 teams. I'd say by the time March get's here, the game against Oklahoma State won't even matter. At this rate, KU will have a three to four game lead going to Stillwater.

Hopefully, by March KU will learn to put teams away and not allow them to get back in games. I guess that's part of the maturity we're all waiting for to take place by tournament play.

Walter Bridges 8 months ago

+1 It's all about gaining mental toughness and experience.

Joe Ross 8 months ago

2 point margin of victory. Closer than you thought. lol. We won the first half, they won the second.

Kevin Randell 8 months ago

Many of you may not remember that Doug Gottlieb played for OSU. Heck, the semester before I transferred to KU, I remember OSU upsetting KU in the BigXII tourney and in the interview with him. He said, "Hey guys, come on up for the tournament! There are plenty of KU tickets available". So please do not tell me for THIS particular game, he had a hard time keeping it 100% professional.

Rodney Crain 8 months ago

Agree - Doug G. might be ok, objective up to a point, but when its his OK State playing KU, like some teams in our league our success does not sit well with him. They feel slighted and believe that we get to much attention. When its KU-OKS he cannot help himself even when on live TV like at half time yesterday. He got his say first, said what he wanted without any rebuttal, the other announcer went the KU way and Doug had to interupt him with a "you just wait till the end of the year". The moderator had to jump in to calm him down. That's someone who just cannot help himself. I don't mind a guy sticking up for his school or saying what he thinks, but lets not kid ourselves that when it comes to KU-OKS BB he is not objective.

Brett McCabe 8 months ago

Hey Douggiee, we're only going to get better. We were a good team to start the season. We're a very good team right now. We will be a juggernaut in 6 weeks.

8 months ago

I nominate Smart for an 'Oscar' in the 'B' movie category, should be a runaway winner there.RCJH

Gerry Butler 8 months ago

had to laugh at a post I saw in the espn comments after the game. a individual posted smart just got a double, double 10 pts and 12 flops at that point. funny

Scott Yessen 8 months ago

I agree completely with the comments on Doug G. Nothing upsets him more than KU having success. Not only that, he also sees that KU good now but we be unbelievable by March. Poor shorts on backwards.

Lance Topeka 8 months ago

Those of you KU fans who hate Doug Gottlieb: Join my Facebook group calling for his dismissal from CBS:

Gerry Butler 8 months ago

evidentally some people weren't watching the same game the rest of us were watching. jo jo's 3rd technical? OMG where was that at? I mean seriously? nothing, no where if you seen one ya good luck with that. then on the other jand you got the king of flops marcus smart when they called that foul for swinging the elbows AGAIN REALLY? not even any contact made anywhere you know in the nba they get fined for that crap and that's what he has coming. to bad a good player like he is has to resort to those kinds of things

Gerry Butler 8 months ago

there were 2 games yesterday, the first half where when we play like that, it looks like an unbelievable team, they looked so dam impressive, I would put them up against ANYBODY, AND I MEAN ANYBODY, then there was the 2nd half when we reverted back to turning the ball over WAY to amny times, if we are going to succeed in the NCAA we have GOT to get that fixed, because in one of the tourney games if we can't get that problem fixed its gonna jump up and bite us right square in the butt. it almost did today, took away from an unbelievable performance in the first half. and if there is anybody ANYBODY at all that thinks jo jo won't be the nu1 pick in the NBA give a shout out, read the article from CBS SPORTS. COM see what they say he is definitely gone after this year, so enjoy him this year its just unreal what he might be like in 3 or 4 yrs. GO HAWKS