Monday, December 29, 2014

Beaty already reaping rewards

KU football coach making most of relationships

Kansas University's new head football coach, David Beaty, speaks at an introductory press conference Monday, Dec. 8, 2014, at the Anderson Family Football Complex. Beaty, the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator at Texas A&M, was hired by KU Friday.

In the three weeks since David Beaty was named Kansas University’s head football coach, there have been a dozen or so examples of his past and current relationships paying off in the recruiting game.

But few of them are as eye-opening and indicative of how strong these bonds are as the events that led to the mid-year signing of Brandon Stewart.

Stewart, a 5-foot-11, 175-pound cornerback from Trinity Valley Community College who appeared bound for California, first began exploring the idea of signing with Kansas when his high school coach, Cedar Hill (Texas) High’s Joey McGuire, told him about Beaty.

“I mean, you’re talking about the corner who’s at Cal when we’re talking to him, and he’s hearing from his coach that he shouldn’t make a decision without at least coming and talking to us,” Beaty recalled. “You don’t get a kid to do that without his head coach calling him up and saying, ‘Hey, listen, you need to call up and talk to this guy. I know him. I know what he stands for. And it might be a fit. Why don’t you give him a few minutes?’”

The reason McGuire was so confident — not to mention comfortable — that Beaty would make a good impression on Stewart was because of the longstanding friendship between the two. But there’s much more to the story than this just being a case of one pal helping out another.

“Joey McGuire’s one of my best friends in the world,” Beaty said. “I mean, we talk on my phone every night like little girls until we fall asleep. It’s that type of deal.”

During the week of Stewart’s signing, Beaty reached out to McGuire on the Monday before Cedar Hill played Katy for the third year in a row in the Texas Class 6A Division II state title game.

“He’s fixing to play for a state championship; it’s the third year in a row he’s playing Katy High School for the title, so it’s the rubber match,” Beaty explained. “Katy won one, Joey won one, and this (was) the third one. You know what he’s doing on Monday? He’s talking to me about Brandon Stewart and telling me everything I need to know to make sure I know that he’s the right guy.”

McGuire’s input on Stewart gave Beaty and KU defensive coordinator Clint Bowen the confidence to pursue the player, and his glowing review of Beaty helped Stewart believe KU was the right fit.

“Those are relationships that, if it was me, and I didn’t know the guy, there’s no damn way I’m gonna answer that phone call on Monday,” Beaty said.

Five days after that phone call, Cedar Hill topped Katy, 23-20 in come-from-behind fashion, giving McGuire back-to-back state titles and Beaty another reason to smile. These connections with his former Lone Star State colleagues and counterparts are not one-way streets. And because Beaty has given as much to those guys as he has asked from them throughout his career, the rewards are coming in fast and furious now that Beaty is running his own program again.

“I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t have to do anything,” said Beaty, asked how quickly he reached out to several of his closest friends who coach football in Texas. “As soon as I got the (KU) job, there were texts on my phone that said, ‘Listen, I got a couple for you. Come check ’em out. They’re ready to go.’ So that was good. And that speaks to the relationships, and it speaks to the trust that we have with one another.”

Comments

Dave Coen 5 years, 7 months ago

Everyday, I become more optimistic about this hire. Time will tell, but I am cheering for Coach Beaty. Rock Chalk!

Bill Kackley 5 years, 7 months ago

Starting to sound like a big ego to me. Look how everyone likes me

Ashwin Rao 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you... Even you are the best recruiter in town, you don't proclaim that. I guess he is trying to get everyone on board, but he needs to do it subtally.

As for me, I will wait till I see some Wins on the board before I feel happy about KU Football again. (Look how everyone likes me too! :) )

Waylon Cook 5 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like Bill got beat up by the "big shots" in high school. tear

Greg Ledom 5 years, 7 months ago

Jesus H Bill, you sound like Art on Cristmas Vacation after Clark finally gets the lights to come on; "...the blinking lights aren't blinking....thanks Art"

Thanks Bill.......

Jim Stauffer 5 years, 7 months ago

When something just seems to be so perfect it frightens you because you don't believe in Nirvana or Utopia kind of things.

I will be on the positive side of this thing until it goes south and I am not thinking it will. If the guy works as hard as he claims to, it will be a success.

I still believe the assistants will be the difference makers in the long run. They have to turn a group who has never won into a unit that wins the games it should and competes in those it loses. Then they have to recruit well enough to move to the next level of bowl eligible. We shall see. Should be a fun ride.

Ashwin Rao 5 years, 7 months ago

I agree... If he hires good a good staff, then I will be happy! OC is critical for the Big-12. I am still not sold on Bowen, but given the work he put in as an Interim HC, I believe that he deserves the position. I would love to have someone more experienced in Special Teams & to coach the linemen

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 7 months ago

The OC hire will not make or break Beaty. The strength and conditioning coach and his ability to transform player bodies in the offseason and the position coaches and their ability to develop talent will make or break Beaty's tenure. Beaty is an offensive minded coach and has a specific offensive system he wants to run. The OC is going to be an extension of Beaty and not the most important hire.

Calvin Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Totally wrong. The OC hire is critical. Problem is that Beaty wants an uptempo offense with a frequent long ball threat without a developed O-line. The defense suffers enough under Bowen's coaching and has been gassed by the 3rd and 4th quarters when the offense couldn't play ball-control.
When is takes this long to announce the OC hire, you know it's going to end up as a rookie.

Timothy Todd 5 years, 7 months ago

Beaty just sounds pretty excited to me. The real test will be if he can coach these kids up to Division 1 standards. Look west to Manhattan to see how that's done. Those kids will run through a wall for Coach Snyder.

JD Roth 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes and that grit, determination and swagger will be on display Friday versus UCLA.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 7 months ago

A positive relationship with both the players and coaches is a big part of the impetus to running through the wall. Still have to be technically sound, but a positive relationship is the foundation it's all built on.

Robert Brown 5 years, 7 months ago

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by some of the cynicism but I am optimistic. Recruiting is important and having good relationships with the high schools in a place like DFW is a huge plus. I always thought that Weis thought it was beneath him to do the heavy lifting necessary to rebuild our program. There are no magic potions like transfers and JUCO dream team and Tom Brady osmosis that will transform the team. I think Beaty and Bowen understand that

Bob Bailey 5 years, 7 months ago

Good enough on recruiting.

But the right DC and OC are crucial. If Bowen is DC, figure 3-9 for next year.

Calvin Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

What are the 2 W's other than the expected W over South Dakota State?

Erich Hartmann 5 years, 7 months ago

With all the departing seniors, dont expect more than 2-3 wins. But the overall state of the program is better than what Gill+Lew Perkins left for Weis. The fact that our 'cupboard' didnt have the solid O-line and WR talent to allow Weis to run his stuff, simply doomed Weis from the start. In the NFL, he relied on NFL GM's to bring in personnel, and that is pro-level talent anyway. Not the case at KU. NO pro-level talent. Not on the O-line, nor at WR. Poor Dayne Crist was doomed from the start, too. As was Heaps. I guess another way to state it is that Charlie Weis simply did not have the personal stamina that Beaty and Bowen seem to have. They are going to need to maintain this energy level for a long time to be successful here.

Also must be considered, is that fact that KU has allotted Beaty a total of $2.5mil for ALL of Beaty's asst.coaches. So dont expect some big name OC. There's no shortcut this time around. Rookie HC. Natural talent drain with graduating 22 seniors. Where we get in 3-4 yrs will be the true test.

Fellow KU fans and alums, try to find some patience...