Tuesday, April 29, 2014

KU recruit Myles Turner’s decision day nears

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

The recruitment of Myles Turner is nearing an end with Kansas University and Texas generally regarded as the leaders for the 6-foot-11 senior center from Trinity High in Euless, Texas.

Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player nationally is expected to announce for one of those schools — or perhaps close-to-home SMU — at a 3 p.m. Wednesday news conference, which will be televised by ESPNU. Other schools still given a chance to snag the McDonald’s All-American: Duke, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and Texas A&M.

“Even with Cleare, Texas still has one scholarship available,” explains national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.

He was referring to 6-9 Maryland sophomore Shaq Cleare, who last Thursday announced plans to transfer to Texas.

“SMU would be a major shock given that they have had little contact with Turner since February (at least according to somebody that I know 1000% would know first-hand),” Bossi added. “My understanding is that schools won’t find out whether they are getting him or not until he announces live. Clubhouse leader is Texas based on the recruiting grapevine but I don’t know that Texas is quite as confident as they were a few weeks ago. Everybody involved seems to be pretty in the dark nearing the end.”

Turner, who averaged 18.1 points, 12.2 rebounds, 6.8 blocks and 3.5 assists a game his senior season, is known as a still-developing big man who definitely will be allowed to shoot the three in college. It’s believed he’s a one-and-done college player.

Noted Dave Daniels of Rantsports.com: “Turner seems to be leaning towards the Kansas Jayhawks based on all of the whispers that I am hearing, but it still would not be a surprise to see him land with the Texas Longhorns. ... My prediction? Rick Barnes is going to have a frowny face on Wednesday, and it will not be the last time that the Longhorns head coach misses out on an elite recruit. We have probably all heard by now that one of Turner’s idols is Kevin Durant, and it will be interesting to see if he ends up following the DMV native’s lead to the Longhorn state. They do say that everything is a little bit bigger in Texas.”

Monk has KU on list: Malik Monk, who scored a Nike EYBL record 59 points in the Arkansas Wings’ 98-91 double overtime loss to All-Ohio AAU on Sunday in Sacramento, Calif., tells texashoops.rivals.com he’s received a scholarship offer from Kansas University.

Monk, a 6-3, 170-pound sophomore shooting guard from Bentonville (Ark.) High, who is ranked No. 12 by Rivals.com in the Class of 2016, said other offers have come from Arkansas, Florida, SMU, Memphis, Baylor, UConn and Indiana.

Of his 59-point outing, which came off 15-of-26 shooting (10-of-16 from three; 19-23 from the free-throw line), he told Texas Hoops: “My coach told me to come in ready to play so I had to do that. But my teammates set me up for the most part for all the points. It was my teammates that set me up.”

He indicated he once scored 43 points in a high school game.

Moore likes KU: Doral Moore, a 6-11, 230-pound junior center from Luella High in Locust Grove, Ga., who is ranked No. 16 in the Class of 2015, tells zagsblog.com he’s being recruited by KU, Illinois, Ohio State, Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville and others.

“I’ve been practicing a lot. During the school week I practice at least every other day and get up about 300 shots, so hopefully it’ll pay off,” Moore of the Atlanta Express AAU team told Zagsblog at last weekend’s Pittsburgh (Pa.) Jamfest. “I can shoot, but I have to get down and dirty sometimes, try to finish strong.”

Jones on radar: Derrick Jones, a 6-6 junior wing from Archbishop Carroll in Radnor, Pa., who is ranked No. 25 in the Class of 2015, tells Zagsblog he has offers from KU, Rutgers, Arizona, Syracuse and others.

“Nothing is new,” Jones told Zagsblog at the Pitt Jam Fest. “I’m just going to work my options out for college and I might go and visit a couple of schools. But, I’m not sure where I’m going to go yet. It’s on my mind to visit a couple schools.”

KU not recruiting King: King McClure, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound junior shooting guard from Triple A Academy in Dallas, will announce his college decision today at his high school.

It’s been reported that the finalists for McClure are KU, Baylor, Arkansas, SMU and UCLA.

However, sources tell the Journal-World the Jayhawks have not offered McClure and have not been recruiting him for some time now.

Recruiting analysts believe Rivals.com’s No. 37-rated player in the Class of 2015 is a lock for Baylor.

Comments

Yonatan Negash 4 months ago

Prior to Bill Self's visit to Dallas on Easter Sunday, all indications were Turner was headed to Texas. It was believed Kevin Durant’s influence had pretty much sealed the deal.

However, the best fit for Myles Turner is Kansas. There is no denying in that. And I do believe during the visit to Dallas, Bill Self made that very clear to Myles Turner. If Turner is as good as advertised, he will become the starting center for KU by early to mid year (similar to what Joel Embiid did). If for whatever reason, Turner decides to go to Texas, he'll have to beat out a very good center in Ridley, which by the way I don't see happening.

The scenario at Kansas is too great of an opportunity for Turner to pass up. The scenario goes something like this, play for a great coach, develop skills, play on an elite team (with less pressure), gain national exposure playing for an elite team, come to a proven system, chance to put up decent numbers systematically, sustain NBA ranking and of course get drafter in the top 10 thereafter. ,

Given what has transpired the past week, the obvious and clear choice is KU.

Let me be the first to congratulate the Jayhawk nation for landing yet another top talent.

Suzi Marshall 4 months ago

What has transpired this past week that makes it obvious and clear the choice is KU?

I have long stated that KU is the best place for him because of Self's history for developing pros and Huddy's program. He needs Kansas much more that Kansas needs him. Plus, Turner can help KU more than UT because he fits well into the high-low and can hit the jumper from the top of the key. Plus he can help on D. Because of his strength issues, I'm not sure he'll get much PT at UT.

Many of the mock draft boards have taken Turner off the 2015 projections. NBADraft.net ( http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft) projects Oubre, Alexander, Selden and Ellis as first rounder picks going 3,4,5, 26 respectively. The same board has Mickleson going deep in the second round, 56th overall.

I don't get why SMU has dropped out of sight. I'm not sure what kind of strength and conditioning program SMU has but LB can certainly coach up a player.

Yonatan Negash 4 months ago

Well than I am in agreement with you Suzi. Self visiting Turner family on Easter Sunday is what has transpired.

Benz Junque 4 months ago

Self visiting on easter means nothing other than that it was a day both were available. If you think that guarantees that he is headed to KU then I have some real estate I'd like to sell you. "Beachfront", just outside Topeka.

Suzi Marshall 3 months, 4 weeks ago

The Easter Bunny also visited the Turner household on Easter Sunday. Does that mean Myles will sign with Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny?

Although I did hear they got crimson and blue Easter Eggs.

Mark Lindrud 3 months, 4 weeks ago

I hear Turner was promised a part in Space Jams 2. Just a rumor, but I will try to confirm through my sources, Elmer Fudd and Lola Bunny.

Rodney Crain 3 months, 4 weeks ago

You were joking right? The day of the visit is not as important as what was discussed. We see it all the time players like to play close to home and he has options with SMU and Texas to do that.

Walter Bridges 3 months, 4 weeks ago

"He needs Kansas much more that Kansas needs him."

Not saying you are wrong Suzi but would like to know how you came to that conclusion.

If you are counting on Lucas or Hunter filling Embiid's very big shoes then I believe that is wishful thinking on your part. If Bill Self believed they were up to the task then he would not have gone on a Easter day recruiting trip and instead gone after Devonte Graham who plays the position where we need the most help.

It would be great if Lucas/Hunter were able to make such a huge leap in their third year (counting each players redshirt season) but looking at the national picture, we are going to need such a versatile big man if we are to compete against Kentucky and Duke. While Turner may have dropped in Rivals final rankings, he sits at #2 on both ESPN and Scouts final rankings. Turner, Alexander, Ellis and Traylor would give us a frontcourt capable of going against any other team.

Suzi Marshall 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Walter, I've seen Turner play several times this year: HCYA & Jackson, St. Johns & Winslow, Coppell in the UIL State Tournament). He's a skinny, injury prone, weak kid. I was shocked the first time watching him. Additionally, he has little of the mobility/footwork we saw from Embiid.

He is not going anywhere in bball without the coaching and strength / conditioning program offered by Kansas. As for next year, I expect that Mickelson will be the starting 5 in our lineup. I doubt we see Turner more than 10 mpg. We all saw how Embiid improved so we can hope for that.

Rodney Crain 4 months ago

Agree with Suzi here, not sure what has happened to make KU the obvious and clear choice.

What I have seen is that he has been very private with his intentions and it looks like no one will know what he decides till he announces. I will love to hear about his decision making process and what lead him to commit to that school. He seemed to be so sure of coming to KU if Joel left and ever since that happened all I hear is he is up in the air, or leaning towards Texas.

I hope we get him, he will make us stronger next year however he contributes. We need another shot blocker for sure if we do not get any PG help.

Jim Erickson 4 months ago

I would love to see Turner come to KU, but as many coaches will say, the best recruiting tool is playing time. Playing time is certainly not guaranteed with Perry Ellis returning, #4 overall recruit Cliff Alexander, off-the-bench-extrodinairre Jamari Traylor, and transfer Hunter Mickelson all fighting for post minutes. Throw Landon Lucas in the mix for some possible minutes as well. Bill Self likes the true center, which Turner is and Ellis/Alexander are likely not, but Ellis and Alexander will be on the court at the same time. Both of those guys are 25-30 minute players. Traylor is also too good not to play

I understand fully that Turner is talented and will make the rotation, but guys like Turner would rather be "the missing piece" to make a team great rather than fight for minutes during a one-and-done season.

I certainly hope we get Turner, but I would be pretty surprised if he came.

Glen Miller 4 months ago

Uhhhhh, a couple guys named Ridley and Holmes will eat into his playing time at Texas. They don't have an advantage over us for playing time, trust me.

Jim Erickson 4 months ago

Also, I might be in the minority here, but I think the team is stacked just the way it is. Tharpe played very well at times and fell off at the end. The talent is there so I wouldn't completely write him off (Tyshawn was similar in this regard before his senior year).

Even if he's not the guy (legitimate chance of that), we still have Frankamp and Frank Mason who played very well as Freshman. Wayne Selden was good for us this year and another year mixed with a bigger role should do wonders. Between Oubre and Greene, we have a good SF and a great bench player. Ellis and Alexander at the post with Traylor and Mickelson/Lucas is a really nice post.

Next year's team has talent, depth, and experience that should make for another Big 12 Title and possible tournament run.

Rodney Crain 4 months ago

I would not say stacked, I would say there is a lot of potential. I use that word since we are hoping for a lot of players to improve over the summer, which is risky, see N. Tharpe between his sophomore and junior year. Perry disappeared in some big games, and his defense was just not up to par for his position. He played a lot even so, because Self had no other options. Heard the word soft a lot about Perry too. PG is a real issue and rather than hope we get better Self is trying to get a PG right now to come in next year. He has a valid reason to be looking there is no one on the bench he thinks can play it right now. So that position is not stacked either. SG, Wayne played a lot and the reason he is back next year is he disappeared down the stretch. Greene seems out of control and has issues with defending and hitting his shot. So SG is not stacked either. Center?, Landon, Hunter, Traylor have not really showed a lot for a season. Even Hunter at AK was servicable but I would not say he is the answer, nor Self since he is recruiting Turner so hard. The good news is that KO and Alexander the Great are going to be two of the best 5 on the court once they get the offense and defense down for Coach. Now if we can get Graham and Turner we have two players who should contribute next year in the rotation. To me if we go into next year without Turner or Graham we are a lesser team than last years team. We have replaced Wiggins and Joel, two best players, with KO and Alexander, replaced Black with Hunter - I consider this almost a wash. The issue is we lose a real shot changer/blocker in Joel to cover up our weak guard defense. So I would expect more of the way we played without Joel last year, and that was not pretty, and not stacked. IF IF IF IF IF is going to haunt us till we see if anyone improved or whether the "Tharpe Slide" (TM) will effect the team next year.

Glen Miller 4 months ago

There's always have room for a top 10 ranked athletic big man with a 3 point shot. I think Oubre will actually put up better numbers than Wiggins because he's an assasin. He WANTS the ball, where Wiggins sometimes coasted. Ellis will be an offensive force in most games, but his defense is what kills us when he's on the court. Selden, I think will have a killer year. If he's healthy and can improve his ball handling and silly mistakes. Alexander was a beast in high school, but most of the competition he went up against was not even on the same planet talent wise as him. Now, he did well against top competition and I think the kid is going to be very good, but he's a freshman and with his physicality his biggest problem will be controlling his foul count so he's available late in the game. Mickelson is an unknown and for all the hype about his blocking and ability..... we've heard hype before and I've got to see it first. If he truely is a poor man's Withey as I've heard then he will be a nice asset on the boards and defensive end. Traylor will continue to be that high motor guy, but I don't think he becomes T-Rob like a lot of people are suggesting. Lucas has the ability to contribute and has shown flashes, so time will tell. I think Greene has a nice shot, but there are a lot of areas of his game that he needs to focus on, especially defense. He also has to stop making bone head plays and shooting with guys in his face. His release takes forever and get's blocked too often. White, I have a lot of respect for... but the kid presses when he gets in the game and takes ill advised shots and commits dumb fouls trying to make a play. I don't see his role changing much. The point guard position....... I just don't know if Tharpe has the ability to lead our team. He talks about being a leader and guiding this team and then goes out and lays an egg and plays that ghost D. I hope I am wrong, but I see erratic play from him again this year and I sense a love/hate relationship more like EJ's than TT's. Mason is a nice spark plug, but I do not believe he has the handle and decision making to be THE guy. His size limits him and that's going to be where he struggles. When he runs into the paint and has no where to go, he often times turns it over. My bet for our PG... unless Graham comes is CF. I think he'll improve his lateral quickness so that he can defend better. His shot will be more consistent because h'ell get more minutes. And he's already got the ball handling skills that he showcased at the end of the season. When we needed to not turn the ball over, Self put him in and that's saying a lot........ all in all I think with or without Turner, our shot at going to the Final Four will rest in the hands of our point guard play and getting our defense back to Bill Self standards. It's going to be the improvement of the guys that are already here that make a bigger impact. Turner would help, but Graham would be my choice. Both would be great!!

Joe Baker 4 months ago

I would rather be "pretty in the dark," than ugly in the light? haha...I couldn't resist.

I think UT signing Cleare is a huge sign that Turner is leaning KU. I don't think Barnes would've signed Cleare if he believed Turner was in the bag. I don't think KD was much of an influence as many think toward Turner. I do think Barnes used it as a tool, but KD probably spent time and respected Turner enough NOT to push burnt orange all over him. In fact, KD may have done just the opposite. I could hear KD tell Turner, hey, if I could do over again, I would've gone to KU myself. I think KD spoke highly of KU and spoke the truth. But I don't think it was a pissing match between KU and UT. Turner was able to spend time with his fav player and at the end of the day don't think he let the limelight influence his decision. Many have made some excellent points about Turner going to KU. I agree and they are facts, not speculation or opinion. KU would benefit Turner way more than the reverse. But, Turner will likely be a 2 year player coming into KU, but will likely have a similar year as Embiid. He very well could be OAD. It's yet to be seen how he adjusts, but right now has 2 years written all over him from a physical developmental stand point. Hudy is licking her chops to get her mits on him. He will be another Hudy Self 1-2 big punch.

I'm going all out and making a really bold prediction. I've been up and down for the last few weeks, but I'm saying KU. It wouldn't surprise me either way at this point. I am surprised at SMU at this point. But Tolbert going to SMU and Brown trying to get a waiver was interesting.

Jack Wilson 4 months ago

I don't understand this logic. Cleare has to sit out a season. So he won't play in 2014-15. Turner is a presumed OAD. The worst thing that happens for Barnes is Turner stays a second season. Good problem to have.

Joe Baker 3 months, 4 weeks ago

I'm thinking from a paper standpoint. Yes, Cleare has to sit a year. But, Turner would have to compete with Ridley, Ebeh, and even Holmes at times. Even you asked about Holmes in one of my posts being a 4.

But to further your point, maybe Turner does go to UT. He plays and learns the system. Ridley and /or Ebeh jump for the draft. Barnes is left with Cleare and Turner? Not a bad problem to have at all. I also knew they had one more to give too, which is a bit of concern.

Tony Bandle 4 months ago

One edge you may legitimately give KU is that he has post season teammates and opponents on the team already.....Cliff and Kelly. Something tells me they are doing something that no coach can do..appeal to a fellow player as a peer and future teammate.

This unheralded goings-on may be the most compelling recruiting factor of all and somerthing neither UT or SMU can offer.

Bill's Easter Sunday visit must have shown the Turner family how much he is wanted at Kansas. The sales pitch is simple..Myles, Kansas has no one the team that has the combination of your skill set, ceiling, athleticism and potential. as a 6'-10" shot blocker with a pretty fair outside shot who happens to be a natural center.

Outside of Landen, all the other big men on the team are really power forwards.

From a true basketball standad, Kansas is, by far, his best choice..but the key is, it is still his choice and that's what makes all the difference in the world.

[PS If Myles does commit, that would give KU the #4, the #6 and the #9 recruits and probably the Number Two recruiting class of 2014.]

We'll know in about 24 hours!!

Mark Lindrud 4 months ago

Mickelson is a center and definitely not a 4, but that is beside the point. We have a lot of versatility next year either way with Cliff, Jamari and Perry manning the middle. (like the subtle pun?) Turner gives us a true starting center, but we have depth either way. We have wings with Oubre, Selden and Greene, with Conner on occasion and maybe AW3. We just need to figure out who the starting pg is and I say it is up for grabs at least that is what I would tell all 3 guys and let the best man win. Final point, we have 2 new guys to the team to add to the mix and at most 3 so that has to help with continuity, fluidity and most of all our defense that was lacking.

Walter Bridges 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Mickelson is not a true center although that is where I see him getting the most of his minutes. Cliff Alexander is a power forward as is Traylor and Ellis. If Turner goes elsewhere, Lucas and Mickelson are going to need to be able to play the majority of the minutes. Of course Coach Self will move around players and use them in different positions and lineups but each will be at their best playing their natural positions.

I think getting Myles Turner, a true center with three point range, might very well be the key to our success next year.

Jack Wilson 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Hmmm .. never ever seen Mickelson listed as a center. Rivals, ESPN, and the KU roster list him as either a PF or a forward.

Beau Woolsey 3 months, 4 weeks ago

With the number one overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft the Kansas City Clippers select Myles Turner from The University of Kansas.

Jason Keller 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Bahaha wouldn't that be awesome?! Get rid of the worthless Royals and bring in the Clippers.

Jason Keller 3 months, 4 weeks ago

The choir boy at Baylor told the McClure kid to keep KU on his list so as to create the perception that he is beating Self for a recruit. Really quite laughable.

John Fitzgerald 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Even if we get Myles, there is still some question marks for next year. Who steps up to be the leader(s)? Who's the pg gonna be? Does anyone transfer or redshirt?

Having said that ... anyone have any predictions with or without Turner for next year? I'm curious to see what people think, especially Mr Rodney Crain.

Jonathan Allison 3 months, 4 weeks ago

I think that Wayne, Perry, and Jamari are the most obvious leaders on the roster. Wayne and Jamari are more emotional leaders who are capable of rallying the troops and providing a spark. Perry is the locker room presence that people look to and listen to because of his experience and his calming demeanor. The question marks are the incoming freshman and the PG group. Will the senior Tharpe be a leader? And if so, will he lead people the right direction? Will one of the sophomores emerge as floor general?

At this point it seems unlikely that we'll see anyone transfer. I always had the feeling that Self was targeting Turner OR a PG, and if Self had wanted to sign a PG he could have signed one but would have then been out of the running for Turner.