Kansas defeats Pittsburg State, 97-57

• 7 p.m., Oct. 29, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Andrew Wiggins’ acrobatic dunk highlights KU’s exhibition win over Pitt State

Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins delivers a dunk over Pittsburg State forward Trevor Gregory during the first half of an exhibition game on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 97-57 exhibition victory over Pitt State on Oct. 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis, Andrew White III, Naadir Tharpe

Kansas' Perry Ellis, Andrew White III and Naadir Tharpe talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 97-57 exhibition victory over Pitt State on Oct. 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Pitt State

The first slam dunk of Andrew Wiggins’ Kansas University basketball career — the flushing of a deep lob from Jamari Traylor, who was stationed well beyond the three-point stripe — had 16,300 Jayhawk fans thankful on Tuesday night that the much-anticipated 2013-14 basketball season is finally under way.

Wiggins, KU’s 6-foot-8 freshman one-and-done sensation from Vaughan, Ontario, Canada — who scored his first hoop in Allen Fieldhouse off a baseline drive with 9:36 left in the first half of an 97-57 annihilation of Pittsburg State — rattled the rims at the 6:51 mark.

“I see the highest of the high with him,” KU junior point guard Naadir Tharpe said of Wiggins’ potential, not the jumping ability he exhibited on that slam.

“From practice, what he’s shown a couple times. Just from this game, you saw a couple of those spurts of what he can do,” Tharpe added after Wiggins hit for 16 points off 5-of-13 shooting with six rebounds and two blocks in 25 minutes. “I feel if we keep pushing him as a team and I try to push him as well and coach and everybody comes together as one ... he and everybody else can be what we need to be.”

The Wiggins jam came off a set play, made possible by the nice passing touch of Traylor, who had six points, five rebounds and two assists.

“It’s something we work on in practice. It’s a pass guards and bigs have to be able to make,” said floor general Tharpe, who had nine assists against zero turnovers with seven points.

“Big to big passes; big to guard passes. A big has to make that pass. He (Wiggins) did his thing.”

KU coach Bill Self said Wiggins handled a case of the jitters very well.

“He told me after the game, ‘Coach I was so nervous,’’’ Self related. “He didn’t play well early. He did better late. I don’t think his aggressiveness was what it should be in a lot of ways.

“He made a play in the second half where he put it down on the left wing, one bounce and got all the way to the rim with his left hand,” Self added approvingly. “That’s a big-time play. He has to get comfortable. He’s thinking too much which takes away from his explosiveness. Everybody isn’t as athletic when they think.”

The bottom line ... “You look up and he has 16 points and didn’t play that much and didn’t make any shots. That’s pretty positive to me,” Self stated.

Wiggins’ take on the proceedings isn’t known.

He was made available to Canadian TV crews but not any local or national media after the game.

His 16 points were matched by sophomore Perry Ellis, who had eight boards in 23 minutes. Freshman Brannen Greene had 10 points and Joel Embiid nine, while Frank Mason and Wayne Selden had five. Conner Frankamp went 0-3 shooting and didn’t score with two assists.

Soph Andrew White III scored 12 points with four boards, while senior Tarik Black, who played just 13 minutes because of foul problems, had 11 boards and seven points.

KU was burned by guard Devon Branch, who had 27 points off 9-22 shooting.

KU hit 21 of 31 free throws to Pitt State’s 21 of 30.

”We’re not very good yet,” Self said. “We don’t guard the ball worth a flip. We switched ball screens and our big guys didn’t guard. Devon Branch got anywhere he wanted with the ball and I thought he was probably the best player in the game without question. We have a lot to learn and we were nervous. When you are playing that many guys (12 before mop-up time) and there’s that many stoppages, it is hard to get rhythm.”

KU will next meet Fort Hays State at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Allen.

Comments

Bruce Beckum 3 years, 11 months ago

I was watching at a sports bar where they were streaming the game with pretty poor quality. The tv next to mine was showing espnnews and they showed "live look-in's" about every fifteen minutes for lots of Nat'l exposure for an exhibition game. They must've shown that dunk about ten times.

Really impressed with the progress AWIII, Ellis, Traylor and Tharpe showed. I can see what coach has been talking about with White's improvement and aggressiveness. Thought the freshmen all showed flashes of brilliance, except maybe Selden who seemed really nervous. Green looked like he definitely belonged out there. Gonna be hard to keep any of those guys off the floor. Had to keep reminding myself this wasn't a D-! team the 'Hawks were playing.

Basketball season is here! Rock Chalk!

Steve Kubler 3 years, 11 months ago

Was at the game and the play that brought the loudest roar was Wiggins lob to Embiid. About blew the roof off!! Up until then "M" had been playing very tentative, after that I saw 2 very smooth moves from the big guy.

Tarik impressed me. I did not know what to expect from him and saw a wide body that got it done on both ends of the court. Once this team gets over the jitters and a bit more time together I think it is going to be extremely fun to watch.

Can't take much more from the first exhibition game, other than YES! Basketball Season has began!

Bruce Beckum 3 years, 11 months ago

Agreed about Black getting it done at both ends. NBA body for sure. He's a rim-protector who may ease the passing of another transfer-cum-shot blocker.

kellerman411 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, NBA body but honestly what position would he play in the NBA? He is a small 4 that plays below the rim. I still love his game though and hope his time at KU opens doors for him.

Lance Cheney 3 years, 11 months ago

How'd Selden look? I see he had five points, but overall, how did he look? Haven't heard one word about him, since everybody's talking about Wiggins...

Steve Kubler 3 years, 11 months ago

He looked good, remember one play early on when he looked great. Have to admit I was focused in on Embiid, Black, and Mason as I knew little about them coming in.

BTW, I just see my name when I hover over it, do I have to do something to get my nickname to show or do others already see it? (kubie)

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 11 months ago

It shows up as Kubie when I hover over it.

3 years, 11 months ago

He got in foul trouble really early on, and never got into much of a rhythm. Had on or two nice mid-range pull-up jumpers. Overall he looked alright.

kellerman411 3 years, 11 months ago

I didn't realize quite how big Wiggins is. He towered over people in high school of course but I put no weight in that. I literally think he is as tall as Perry and with a larger wing span. We played Pitt State but even comparing him to the other KU players who we know are solid, he just fits in like a square peg in a round hole. He's a different type of dude and it's no wonder the NBA execs are tanking the season in hopes of getting him. I just really hope he stays healthy. I think that when he stops thinking he may just live up to the expectations. We'll see..

Robert Robinson 3 years, 11 months ago

The new foul rule is already ruining the game for me.

Alex Berger 3 years, 11 months ago

It's nice to feel a win again. I'm ready for the next game to get here pronto.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 11 months ago

For old time's sake:

710 posts during last year's first exhibition game vs. 172 last night

100 posts following last year's first exhibition game vs. 12 today (before mine)

Asad Zoberi 3 years, 11 months ago

Its really sad to see such low activity on the comments section. I was also unhappy with the change in policy and did not feel like commenting here but finally decided to come back in as I really missed the action.

I still feel that this is the best site to read and write about KU BB and hope that regular posters would come back.

Asad Zoberi 3 years, 11 months ago

I just clicked on the related story above "Top prospect Andrew Wiggins chooses Kansas" and see that there were 387 comments posted on it.

Jeremy Caudle 3 years, 11 months ago

It really saddens me to see the decline in comments on these articles. I very rarely post but have been a loyal visitor to this site for the past few years. I come to this site everyday to read the new stories and love to read all the comments to get the view from other fans. I myself don't care if anyone sees my name and I'm not sure if that's the reason so many have decided not to comment anymore. I'm hoping they all come back in time!

As to the game, I was able to attend last night, and they looked exactly how I thought they would. On the drive up I was joking with my girlfriend about it being a 100-60 game...so close! Anyways, they will improve as the year goes on and there is something special that is within reach for this team! Rock Chalk!

Ryan Houston 3 years, 11 months ago

Ku you has some things to think about. I think the main candidate for redshirting this year should be Greene. He is good, and could maybe develop into a Brandon Rush type player in a year or to. His body isn’t fully grown. Another year in the gym would benefit him greatly. I don’t think Frankamp is great candidate to red shirt. He is as big as he is going to get. Plus he really just needs playing time to figure out his game at this level. Another thing, I didn’t see a single player I would consider NBA ready. Wiggins played good, but he just doesn’t have the body yet to be playing against players like Lebron, and Howard. He has a good skill set, though I don’t think that’s enough for the next level. Emiib is defiantly a player who would benefit and additional year or two years under Self. He just didn’t look like he knew what was going on during the game. I don’t know why Selden didn’t jump out of the gates like was expected. But Ill reserve my opinion on him for a couple more games. If I where to go off of what I saw last night he would be the least likely to go pro after one year out of the three stated. Lastly, I think everyone played well. Black looked great, and is probably the steal of the year. Emiid looked real athletic, but really needs to work on some things. Greene, and White shot it well. Mason had a pretty decent first game. Wiggins was good, but just wasn’t amazing. With time, I think this team does have a good shot at making the final four this year.