Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Wayne Selden sizes up recruits

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

When an athlete says, “Can I call you back in a half-hour?” during a telephone interview, that’s code for, “You’re starting to bore me with these questions, and I have better things to do with my time. Scram.”

When Kansas University-bound guard Wayne Selden, the second-highest-ranked recruit in the nation’s second-ranked college basketball recruiting class, ended our conversation recently, I hadn’t yet had a chance to ask him what he thought of Conner Frankamp’s game. Surely, he would have had an answer because all the top recruits become familiar with each other from the time they spend together at exposure camps, AAU tournaments, all-star games, etc.

Word out of the McDonald’s All-American week in Chicago was that Selden and the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Kansas-bound Andrew Wiggins, were spending a lot of time together.

“Yes, we were able to connect on and off the court,” Selden said by phone from The Tilton School, a prep school in New Hampshire. “It was good to be able to connect with him, but I had no idea at the time he was coming to Kansas.”

In Ben McLemore and Travis Releford, Kansas had a pair of wings who were great finishers on the fast break. Selden and Wiggins have similar reputations as finishers.

How are the games of Selden and Wiggins alike, and how are they different?

“I don’t know,” Selden said. “We’re not that much alike, really, so we should be able to blend together. I’m kind of athletic. He’s really athletic.”

Selden grew up in Boston as a Celtics fan.

“I would probably go with Paul Pierce,” Selden said, asked to name his favorite player. “He’s a traditional Celtic, been there forever. I haven’t met him recently, but I had pictures taken with him when I was 6 or 7 at a celebrity all-star game.”

Ranked the nation’s No. 12 prospect by Rivals, Selden said he has known future teammate Brannen Greene from Georgia for a few years.

“He’s a shooter, a real good shooter,” Selden said. “He’s able to score in other ways, too, so that’s good.”

Selden made his visit to KU during Late Night, as did Joel Embiid, the 7-footer from Cameroon who attends high school in Florida.

“As soon as I committed, I tried to get him to come here,” Selden said. “I just tried to get him to pull the trigger. He eventually did. As soon as he gets some weight training, I think he’ll be able to step into his role.”

Of Frank Mason, a pure point guard from Virginia, Selden said, “real quick, strong, athletic guard.”

Selden said he heard about Wiggins’ commitment when word spread through his prep school.

“I had no idea where he was going,” he said. “It was all up in the air.”

Selden knows all the Kentucky recruits but said he hasn’t thought about how Kansas stacks up to the Wildcats.

“I’m not really worried about other teams right now,” Selden said. “We need to get our stuff together, jell as a team, get prepared.”

Comments

Jonathan Briles 1 year, 6 months ago

I love his statement at the end. I know he is too skilled to stay for all four years, but I would love to have Selden for a while. He is such a great kid and has a lot of leadership qualities that could really lead a team.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 6 months ago

With nothing on TV right now, I'm foaming at the mouth for some KU Basketball!

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 6 months ago

It's good the recruiting beauty contest is over so the players, not journalists and self appointed pundits weak for some story, determine the rankings.

hawk316 1 year, 6 months ago

I thought it was actually a nice angle for a story. I enjoyed getting Selden's perspective on the incoming class and wish he would have called Keegan back with more info.

I love this recruiting class!

milehighhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The first two paragraphs are inexplicably weird.

Bob Weinstein 1 year, 6 months ago

yeah, I don't think that he needed to include that. i expected him to reveal later that Wayne surprisingly called him back. the kid is just getting started with the media...feel like he kind of threw him under the bus there a little bit

canuckhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The first two paragraphs can be translated into: "I'm going to tell you what WS thinks about his fellow recruits, but please note that WS became really bored with my interview before I could ask about CF and he blew me off."

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

I can't imagine how anyone could become bored with Keegan. I'm SHOCKED.

lv_jhwk 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting...me closing the tab on my browser must be the Internet equivalent of a "can I call you back later".

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah...summer news is difficult. You end up having written every day of the school year at a torrid pace, and then Im sure they are burnt out. To make it worse there is nothing to write about on a daily basis for a lot of the summer. I imagine they end up really reaching to get ideas for a story. They do a good job most days. This article didnt seem to add much though. Felt kinda empty.

Evan Bilyeu 1 year, 6 months ago

These are the guys that everyone talks about in college sports. You really wish Michael Jordan skipped college? Chamberlain? Magic Johnson? Larry Bird?

Bernard Gregory 1 year, 6 months ago

no mention of the fact that Mason team beat his by 30 and Mason locked him down.

RCJHTOTHEGRAVE 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Frank will surprise a lot of people this year.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

I saw this today for the first time, and I'll be shocked if Conner doesn't get 10 Minutes a game right out of the shoot. Look at the lineup he is with and still is MVP.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I have him as the primary SG backup this seaon behind Selden IF Mason's as good as Self's been hinting at. Otherwise, he might be a little less comfortable as Tharpe's backup at the pt.

Michael Auchard 1 year, 6 months ago

It's a terrible thing to start your feature out with a quote about how you weren't a good reporter. I don't care how tongue in cheek you're trying to be.

Hawk8086 1 year, 6 months ago

May have been somewhat of an empty article as some say, but I don't care. I'm desperate for anything written about this team. I did not know about the game against Mason's team...interesting. At the Mcdonald's game, I was very impressed with Selden's ball handling and court vision to go along with his athletic ability and strength. I think he will be the ideal 2nd ball handler at the 2 that Self looks for.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

The criticism from those on these boards comes with the implication that they would write as well as Keegan does. Some days, they're right. Other times, they're not. Writing off the cuff, as this appears to have been done doesn't sound "journalistic" and yet, these are the times. This piece is comparable to a tweet, a short, "here's something new I found out that you junkies might be interested in." I, like you, am ALWAYS interested--something like a prepubescent checking up on the latest boy idol news.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 6 months ago

Tom got the cold shoulder from young Selden. Love it. I almost begrudgingly open these "Opinion" pieces knowing it will be quotes about Elvis and vague tie backs to KU basketball but I guess I am a glutton for punishment or ever hopeful Tom will get a ghost writer.

I am very curious to see how these guys morph into a team. Should be quick, but there will be occasions where we will all be yelling at the TV, and that's okay...all part of it.

Ready for a the ride.

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 6 months ago

How does Coach Self get Paul Pierce to visit the team this summer so that Wayne can meet his idol?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

Director of Basketball Operations, but I don't think Paul is retiring this year.

KemDooKU 1 year, 6 months ago

I actually think the article was pretty informative and well done- I think it shows that Selden has a good head on his shoulders - I love his last statement about not concerned with other teams and we need to focus on our team. He sounds like a guy who has it together - Wiggins seems the same way so that's probably why they hit it off at the Donald's game. Shall I dare to say that Selden was the cherry on top for Wiggins decesion to come to KU - like u already Sir Wayne!!

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

I miss Bill Mayer. I wonder what happened to him...

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Sympathies to Seldon, Keegan and the LJW readership. It seems Keeg was trying hard to give something to his readership. It also seems Seldon was trying hard to cooperate but was uncomfortable speculating on future teammates. We need to show some patients to let things take a natural course under Self's guidance.

I really like the idea of calling Self "The Wizard of Oz."

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 6 months ago

Since I live in Ozawkie, I think of myself this way, but, in this case, yeah, I'll give it up. Maybe I'll change my name to the Geezer From Oz.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 6 months ago

Congratulations, you have a really nice golf course up there. They host many tournaments for seniors which I have played.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 6 months ago

It's Selden! I hate it when KU fans can't get our own players names right.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

c'mon Kip, as JMarshall says, "show some patients!"

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

Kip, I'm with you about that! I'm embarassed.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Or how about "The Wizard of Kaw?" I like the homage to the Wizard of Westwood and the Kansas tie-in, but I prefer a touch more originality.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

The Wizzard of Oz was the original. Self is the latest version. I'd prefer to believe UCLA was playing off Kansas, who owns the "original rites."

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

I just wonder if the criticism posted above would be the same if the author's first name was Matt or Jesse.....just sayin'.

Frankly, reading the whole article was worth it after you've read the last sentence.

"Ain't no cure for the summertime blues."

Some of these posts are anemic as hell.

FYI, "Patience"..posted with no malice.

Tom, maybe you coiuld have talked about the NBA draft order and how that effects the futures of our two first rounders...just a suggestion. Does Cleveland need a wing or a big man, etc., etc.

John Myers 1 year, 6 months ago

Thing is, Matt and Jesse wouldn't write an article like this. They could post the articles on here without bylines and you would still know which ones were Keegan's.

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

No, there wouldn't be the criticism if Matt or Jesse had written it, because it wouldn't have been such a useless article.

I do wish they'd write something about the draft order. The lottery selection was big for Bmac, I'd really like to hear what some draft experts have to say about it.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

Okay, let’s talk draft!

I know everybody thinks Cleveland will take Noel, but they are the team who could most use a star at SG out of the first 3 teams to pick. Dion Waiters was drafted last year and played okay, but he’s not Mac by any stretch. Cleveland could also trade out which would shake things up. What if Orlando was starving for Noel (possible) and swapped with Cleveland. It would make it that much easier for the Cavs to nab Ben at #2. Odds on Ben to Cleveland are not bad.

But let’s assume Cleveland goes Noel #1.

That puts Orlando in a difficult position. Not impossible, but difficult, to draft Ben at #2. Their best player is Aaron Afflalo, a shooting guard. They have JJ Redick, another shooting guard, scoring the team’s 4th most points. They need Noel in the worst way. But I don’t think they’ll get him. Will they take Ben and move Afflalo or Reddick? I think Ben can score 20/night in the NBA without breaking a sweat. That’s an upgrade, but they’ll have to move somebody.

If they pass on Ben that leaves the Wizards next in line. They just shipped Crawford to Boston to make room for SG Bradley Beal who they drafted last year. Beal played pretty well too. Are they willing to make another move at the same position to upgrade the SG?

If THEY pass, it’s Charlotte. Ugh. Let’s not go there.

Is somebody else infatuated with Ben enough to move up? Phoenix? New Orleans.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Ummm, Waiters, honestly, probably IS better than BMc (at least at this stage)!!!! NO WAY do the Cavs not go with Noel even though they already have plenty of depth in the post w/ Varejao, T. Zeller, & T. Thompson.

Probably the best fit for them is ACTUALLY O. Porter. The biggest need for them is at SF.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

The Cavs have endless options right now. They have picks coming out their @ss and tons of young talent to shuffle. They are a wild card, and many think they’ll be the first to trade out of #1 in the last 20 years.

Noel is a great prospect but his ACL could conceivably keep him out of his ENTIRE rookie season. That’s 4 million down the drain. Check me on that, but at the very least he’ll be hampered and play only a partial season. After that what? Is he injury prone? (see Greg Oden)

I like Waiters, but Mac has a ton more upside. 2 years from now they would regret not choosing the more dynamic scorer. Mac puts up 20 points and I’m like, “wait, how did he get 20?” He’s that smooth.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

your assessment is right in line with what I've seen when briefly checking random mock drafts out today.

Ben either goes #1 to Cleveland, #4 to Charlotte, or somewhere else via trades.

Question, if Magic don't get Noel, who do they draft #2. I saw some boards saying they'd take Burke. I'd be very surprised by that. I'd look at Otto Porter #2 over Burke.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

That's funny - - - someone earlier here who was quoting C. Ford of ESPN....he ALSO noted that it could be McLemore of T. Burke for Orlando. I could see that a LOT more than I could see him going to Cleveland.

I mean who the heck does Orlando have at SG since they traded away Reddick?!?!?!?!

They've already got Tobias Harris at the SF who was emerging at the end of last year so I'd be surprised if they went w/ Porter.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

Aaron Afflalo was their leading scorer. He’s a stud. Probably the best SG out of all the teams in the hunt. I watched him significantly improve 3 straight years in Denver before the big Andre Igoudala trade.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Gotta' give it to you on that one. I forgot about Afflalo. Afflalo's kind of a tweener - SG/SF type too though like a Maggette or the like.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Gotta' give it to you on that one. I forgot about Afflalo.

Adam Tyler 1 year, 6 months ago

Reddick was traded to the Bucks at the trade deadline.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

Ah. Thanks. But that still leaves Afflalo...

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

More than most of the hotshots at the McD's game, Wayne showed that he was bent upon playing team ball. Nothing in this article indicates otherwise. He appears to be an earnest recruit, not given to superlative quotes or speculations; just ready to get to work to see his team gel. I look forward to watching him flow with Tharpe and Wiggins. And am appreciative of his early esteem for Embiid. Am wondering if the USA Under-19 team has already been selected, and if he, too, might miss out on a few weeks of summer bonding in Lawrence. Did I not read that Wiggins might, possibly, not be available until after 11 September, if he should also be involved with the Canadian World's Team?

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 6 months ago

The way the article began, I thought Selden was going to call him back and continue the interview. The first two paragraph's were a bit misleading. At any rate, I love reading about our team and getting a peek inside how the player's think. I appreciate the fact that Selden helped recruit Embiid. It didn't hurt things that he befriended Wiggins as well! My friend, a former Missouri State PG said he has seen Selden play numerous times and says he's tough as nails and a true competitor and we'll love him. I kind of figured that : )

One last thing. I don't understand how we can write free throws off. When describing Tarik Black, it's just known that his rebounding is "ok" and he can't really shoot free throws. He's spent four years in college. The gym is always open to these guys. It doesn't make sense that a scholarship player cannot shoot at least 70%. AND at 6'9" - 262 lbs. he's just "ok" at rebounding. I'm pretty sure The Wizard can get more productivity out of Black than Pastner.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

Remains to be seen what will happen this season. I like our chances for years to come. Coach Self always seems to figure it out and find a way as far as recruiting goes.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 6 months ago

Double thumbs up on this: "It would be nice to see extended interviews with all the players now that we are hitting the slow time of year."

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

Do the editors at LJW bother to read these comments? Ralster said it, we're judging the product by comparison, and the overwhelming opinion is that Keegan's writing is not up to par with that of even Matt Tait and Jesse Newell, let alone ESPN or SI. There are exceptions of course, and some people enjoy Keegan's musings. But when so many people recognize the shortcomings of his writing, why do those in charge at LJW continue to let it happen?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Isn't Keegs the Senior Sports Editor..that might have something to do with it.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 6 months ago

Readers do not have to read his articles if they are bothersome. I read everything about KU Men's Basketball.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Are you saying that you have to be a good writer to work for a national publication? How do you explain Jason Whitlock?

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

I have not read a Keegan piece in months due to the terrible writing and lack of information or insight.

I sorely regret being duped into reading this one.

Please, somebody stop this torture, or I'll just have to go to other sites exclusively. You're ruining my experience of Jayhawk basketball with this crap.

bad_dog 1 year, 6 months ago

It's really simple. Either don't read Keegan's articles or exercise your option to go elsewhere. You knew what you might be in for when you clicked the link, so who's to blame for your self-imposed "torture"?

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

oh, the irony of your criticism of my criticism

I thought there was going to be more substance to the quotes of Selden so that I could hold my nose while wading through Keegan's excrement, but even that was lacking. The title led me to believe that there might actually be something in the article worth reading. I hesitated and thought better, several times, but ultimately gave in to my curiosity. I resent being baited, but you are right, I am the fool for falling for it. Shame on me.

I'm sorry I stirred your ire and messed with your enjoyment of schlock. I'll leave this trough to you.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Seriously? They're ruining your Jayhawk basketball experience?

Last year the only thing that ruined my Jayhawk basketball experience was Michigan.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

ralster, I agree 100%. In fact, I posted a couple of times during the season that the only team that could beat us was " us ". I suppose a lot of fans feel that way about their teams, but I truly believed that about last year's team.

Adam Bengtson 1 year, 6 months ago

Does anyone know when Big 12 post their schedules for basketball?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Too witty for me. Im just a dummy. Dead like a mummy. With posts that sound gummy. I want my mommy.

And you thought KEEGAN was bad...

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

"but with Jaybate he don't get so chummy"

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

Excellent, Oakville! I especially like the paragraph about Tait.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

My apologies to the staff...no harm intended. If I didn't like you guys I wouldn't take the time to poke fun. Oh well, at least actorman got a kick out of the list.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

I so wish I had not been late to this party!!!

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 6 months ago

Question......looks like for 2013-14, KU will have a total of 18 players on the roster (and the full 13 allotment on scholarship):

Freshmen: Wiggins, Selden, Greene, Frankamp, Embiid and Mason RS Freshmen: Lucas Sophomores: White III, Ellis, Traylor, Manning, Self Juniors: Tharpe, Garrett, Mickelson (eligible to play in '14-'15) Seniors: Wesley, Niko, Black

I'm guessing the walk-ons are still Manning, Self, Niko and Garrett. So, does Wesley go back to walk-on status too? And who do we expect to redshirt? AW3? Others?

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

yes, Wesley is back to walk-on status. Its' really hard to say who might red-shirt and we really won't know until November anyway. AWIII is likely a prime candidate, but it's gotta be his call. I know if I were him, I wouldn't want to red-shirt. Everyone wants to play. The only other RS candidates would be freshman or walk-ons. And I doubt any walk-ons would red-shirt unless Self believes that they'll contribute down the road... Even Manning? It's possible but unlikely that he could be a contributor late in his career, but so far he doesn't look anything like Conner Teahan who is the only walk-on I've ever known to redshirt...

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Um...in some instances that's WHY they redshirt. Just as you said everyone wants to play. So do you want to suffer through a season of not playing much compared to a future season where you can really be showcased, utilized, help the team, etc.

I think AW III would be wise to redshirt and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that if he did so it would benefit him much like it did Travis Releford. Wasn't Releford ranked about 60-some in the Top 100 when he came out and A.W. III in the 60's or 70's or something like that. The difference being that I saw Releford with some open-court play his freshman year and not much perimeter shooting and vice-versa for Andrew White.

Hawk8086 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't see AW3 redshirting. With a team this inexperienced, he is one of the few with any playing time. History tells us that this counts for a lot in Self's system. I think it will depend on whether there is any separation between Frankamp and Mason as to who backs up Tharpe. Or, if Frankamp earns PT as a 2. It isn't a given that anyone will redshirt. If Mason, Greene, Frankamp are all pretty even, then they could all play sporadically. Yes, I know that Self ideally likes a 9 man rotation, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the same 9 throughout the season as players develop (or not).

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Um, I think it's actually MORE rare for a freshman to be redshirted - a'la Lucas last season than an already experienced one-year player....A.White III would just be doing the same as Releford.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Wiggins, Tharpe, Ellis, Embiid, Selden, Traylor and Black are shoo-ins for the rotation.....the question is which two remaining players lock in? Conner or Frank at point guard? AW3 or Brannon at swing man? Lucas at center?

Due to the extreme depth of quality this upcoming season, we won't see many "Coaches Sons Games" because Bill will be playing his #10,11,12 and 13's to keep them sharp!!

Robert Murphy 1 year, 6 months ago

What about Green? Mason? So much talent so little playing time.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

As for the first paragraph, I don't suppose Keegan considered the kid may actually have had something he needed to do and the phone call was an interruption. Or maybe the kid really had to go to the bathroom. That first paragraph smacks of a writer being ticked off and using his media position to smack the kid up the side of the head.

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

If anyone can email the Cleveland GM with this message it could hekp him see through the haze. The parallels between Sam Bowie and Noel are frightening. Noel knees could be twice as fragile as Bowie's were. An eyeball test is one thing. Seeing him crunch it against Florida is quite another story. He plays recklessly. Watch his decision on the block that got him injured. He helps with blocks but will only be more prone to ample knee injuries in the NBA. The Cleveland GM already has this evidence before him while the Bowie information only came out after the draft. How ironic there is a 6'5" long athletic pure shot shooting guard who could go the same spot Jordan did in '84 if the team with the first draft pick doesn't wake up. Can anyone imagine how frustrated Kevin Pritchard was after he selected Oden and passed up Durant. Oden over Durant. Imagine that. Bowie over Jordan. Incredible. Noel over McLemore. Will the trend continue? Certain players usually the out of control 7 footers have knee issues in the NBA. Look for the warning signs if they're there. Noel has Oden/Bowie written all over him. Look for the warning signs.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 6 months ago

I like this comment, it doesn't always work out that way... But I can see it happening, I actually hope your comment does come to fruition!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

I have a golden retriever that weighs more than NN does right now...Noel will be thrown around like a rag doll.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Your golden retriever is smarter than NN too.

At least your dog didn't go to Kentucky.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Hell, Leaf, if his dog had gone to Kentucky they might have laid the woof on Robert Morris and given Baylor a run for the NIT crown!

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm sure the Cavalier's GM will fly you into Cleveland immediately after reading your email so that their expert doctors will get a full prognosis of the knee. Considering you tried to tell everyone that Elijah Johnson's 3 point attempt against UK in the last minute of the NC game was not a travel because he started to dribble before his feet hit the ground, I don't think they will take you seriously. But you never know...

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

Thank you. You're still my favorite poster here even if you are a Kentucky Wildcat. Have respect for you. Personally I love college basketball. I believe me opinion with 100% of my heart. I respect yours. Watched some Randle YouTube yesterday he'll be tough to stop. Agree with you on Randle. Don't agree with you on Noel's health in the NBA. However he was obviously a great college player. To my comment about EJ in 2012 championship. You guys beat us. Davis made a great play to make EJ travel. I was mistaken on the rule.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe you can put in a good word for me with KD & Ralster...they don't care for my posts all that much (at least that's what they say!). All kidding aside, the recovery from an ACL injury is nearly 100% if you stick to a proven rehabilitation program and I guarantee Noel has the best doctors/trainers advising him. Look at how fast Adrian Peterson of the Vikings came back - new technological advances in terms of imaging the ACL injury and grafting of tendons have accounted for the successful recoveries from this injury which wasn't around during the Sam Bowie days.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

KD - if you can find anyone in college basketball who at 6'10' can shoot from the outside and have the array of moves on the offensive side let me know. I will bet you $2K that Kentucky goes further than Kansas this year...

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

Ralster - you need to read a little closer to the comments made on the term "contribution". Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Brandon Knight, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, etc. have CONTRIBUTED and play a major role for each of their teams. Wall & Cousins averaged 18 points a game! But they HAVEN'T yet made the step up to being a NBA All-Star and that's what the conversation was about. Now compare that to the KU lottery picks...

actorman 1 year, 6 months ago

Your points are well taken, JayHok, however it appears that you're saying Jordan was taken second in the '84 draft, when he actually was taken third. Olajuwon was first, followed by Bowie and then Jordan.

JayhawkLaw12 1 year, 6 months ago

What an inappropriate opening paragraph, Tom. How you keep your job is both a mystery and a miracle (for you, for those of us who enjoy reading about our team, it's an unmitigated disaster).

Gil Ek 1 year, 6 months ago

Looks like an easy pick. February 16, 2014, Saturday at 8:00 p.m. Texas at KU, should be the ESPN Game Day. This team will be in full afterburner by then. WANG Burgers for everyone!!!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I have a feeling that this year we'll actually be a road team on College GameDay and not get it. I think we tend to get it like 3 out of every 4 years so we're probably due to NOT get it.

Something tells me that KU AT Oklahoma State will be the Big XII's featured College Game Day this year.

Game went to 2 OT's last year. The two favorites in the conference, etc. I'm not sure that any other Big XII team has gotten to host College Game Day. Am I wrong there? Maybe MIzzou did when they were still with us. But I don't think Texas, Texas A&M, OU, OSU, K-State, Baylor, Iowa State etc. did. Otherwise, I could MAYBE see it be KU AT Iowa State given the occurrences in Ames this past season.

Just my opinion.

I think it'll be the one in Stillwater though because who knows if ISU will even be any good this year.

Colby Hebert 1 year, 6 months ago

If a monkey threw feces on a wall and it looked like the letters K and U, I would read it.

jgkojak 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't doubt the power of Pierce - I wonder how much Pierce being a former Jayhawk played into Selden coming to KS?

Todd Mobray 1 year, 6 months ago

And Keegan has officially jumped the shark to become the new Bill Mayer as KU's resident Grumpy Old Man.

WisconsinJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I have it on good authority that it is inappropriate for readers to critique the writing of a professional writer. Lets leave the judgment of Keegan's skill to the Pulitzer Committee.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Aa, c'mon, cheesehead...can't ya take a joke??!! :)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

P.S. Cheesehead listed as a compliment based on your diehard loyalty to the GB Pack.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 6 months ago

People complaining about an article just shows people love to bitch about something. Can't be happy unless we ain't happy.

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

Nothing wrong with offering criticism. Some of it comes off a bit too harsh, but criticism is what spurs improvement.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

All of the criticism is very well warranted.

Keegans pieces would get failing grades in 101.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

For whatever it's worth, I'd draft Otto Porter first. I think in the final analysis, he'll turn out to be the best player in this draft. And as far a sleeper, Shane Larkin might be the best point guard in the draft.

But I admit that I don't really know what NBA guys are looking for.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

Porter and Larkin are good choices. Would have been nice to have Porter at KU for the past two years.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

As I recall, Bill waited a bit late to jump in on the Porter recruitment. Just imagine how he could have helped us last season. But, Hey, win a few, lose a few. I think Self is a craftier recruiter than the majority of NBA General Managers. He certainly knows how to plug gaps. This current incoming group is almost unbelievable in potential.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

There's a reason why Keegan's pieces all come labeled as 'Opinion' now: so he might possibly sidestep the criticisms of them being mediocre excuses of remedial journalism.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Keegan: So Wayne, how do you see your role at Kansas University?
Selden: Kansas University? I'll call you back in a half-hour...
Click.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 6 months ago

The way I see it is Keegan kept it real and just reported what happened. When he opines it is different. This isn't Fox News or "E." You can look to be entertained or appreciate a factual report on an interaction. Again I am so impressed with the quality and passion of this fan base.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 6 months ago

I have to admit that usually this time of year I am not even thinking of basketball. I am all hyped for football to start. Not this year (no reflection on our football fortunes) as I am really excited about this crop of players. IMO better that the 2008 championship team.