Friday, May 3, 2013

Fantasy campers get to meet ex-Jayhawks

Collins, Reed, Simien among former players taking part in fantasy camp game

Former Kansas player Wayne Simien towers over Richard Rosenzweig, New York City, as he goes for a block during a game at the Bill Self Fantasy Camp on Thursday, May 2, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Captains Club members, who paid extra to attend this weekend’s Bill Self Basketball Fantasy Experience, participated in a 32-minute game that included former Kansas University players Sherron Collins, Jeff Hawkins, Mario Little, Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed and Wayne Simien on Thursday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’ll be honest. I wasn’t overly impressed with the conditioning of some of our campers,” KU coach Self said, perhaps cracking the first joke of many this weekend. “The shooting percentages reminded me of some of our games in early February.

“It was good,” Self added. “It was good to see those guys out there having fun.”

Collins fires away: Former KU guard Sherron Collins hit a deep three to highlight a game which consisted of four, eight-minute quarters. KU players and campers were mixed on the rosters.

Collins said earlier in the week he plans to stay in Lawrence the rest of the spring and summer to get in shape and make a run at professional basketball.

“I hope so,” Self said, asked if Collins is committed to getting in great condition. “He hasn’t had the easiest path the last couple years.

“He is down here hopefully committed not only trying to get in shape, but also hang out with us and hopefully spend the majority of the summer here (working out with the current Jayhawks who attend summer school), helping us as hopefully we help him.”

Collins, 26, was cut by the San Antonio Spurs last Oct. 5 early in training camp and did not play pro ball this past season.

At the camp: Coaches working the camp include former Wake Forest head coach Dino Gaudio, Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey and Marquette director of basketball Jerry Wainwright.

Self in favor of academic status quo: The NCAA Div. I board of directors Thursday decided to maintain the current sliding academic scale instead of raising the standards beginning in 2016. According to CBSsports.com, high schoolers “with a 2.5 GPA need an 820 on the SAT to be eligible. Under the proposed 2016 changes, the same student with a 2.5 GPA would have needed to score a 1,000 on the SAT.”

“To me it’s positive,” Self said Thursday, “because there’s been so many good things that’s happened with all sports concerning APR and graduation rates I think we should give this an opportunity to study it longer before we do something near as drastic as what was being considered.”

CBSSports.com talked to several unnamed coaches who said under the proposed new sliding scale, less than 25 percent of their players would have been eligible as freshman.

Peters update: Zach Peters, a 6-9 forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, who left KU first semester after suffering a series of concussions, took an official visit to University of North Texas on Thursday, according to texasboysbasketball.com, gomeangreen.com and Denton Record-Chronicle.

Peters recently told the Dallas Morning News that he passed a concussion test in January after failing it four times previously.

Brett Vito of the Denton Record-Chronicle writes, “Peters appears as if he would be a good fit for UNT, which lost 6-foot-8 forward Tony Mitchell when he declared for the NBA Draft this spring. UNT lost Roger Franklin, its other starting forward, to graduation. UNT has just one player over 6-foot-6 returning next season in backup center Keith Coleman. Junior college forwards Armani Flannigan and Collin Voss have both signed with UNT, which also has high school forwards Greg Wesley, Josh Friar and high school center Tony Nunn set to arrive in the fall.”

Comments

KEITHMILES05 8 years, 7 months ago

Bless Sherron's heart but he was in here last summer and it didn't help him a bit. He's 26 y/o and a man now and shouldn't have to be babysat. He's gained a tremendous amount of weight and no way in BB condition. No problem with him trying again but odds are greatly against him.

Michael Pannacciulli 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with the babysitting comment. I loved his game, if he could only get it together, make a run at the euro leagues, make money...anyway...that's my hope. Still believing for ya Sherron.

Phil Leister 8 years, 7 months ago

I absolutely love Sherron. One of my favorites of all time. But 26 isn't the time to dedicate yourself to getting in shape. Props to him for not giving up, but with ANY kind of discipline, he could have been making Kieth Langford-type money in Europe the past few years.

Keith Kienzle 8 years, 7 months ago

Why are you guys bagging on Sherrron? I'm 34 and could stand to get in better shape. Should I give up on getting in shape because I'm 34? He's 26, there's no reason he couldn't get in good enough shape to play professional ball somewhere. Chill out and give a 4 year guy who brought us a banner some love!

Michael Luby 8 years, 6 months ago

&$%@ yes Approx! Im pushing 40 and Im in better shape now than I was when I was early 20's. Sherron at 26 can absolutely make a come back if he is mentally focused and strong enough. Its all in the mind, all of it.

Cameron Cederlind 8 years, 6 months ago

You must have been really out of shape in college.

Benz Junque 8 years, 6 months ago

The next time Sherron Collins is mentally focused will be the first time...

jhox 8 years, 7 months ago

I would still like to know what really went down with Peters. One minute he's looking to be a significant contributer, next minute he's transferring. I get the injury part, but why transfer if his intention was to eventually come back and play again? Homesickness?

Cameron Cederlind 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing also that practices are a little less physical at UNT, getting your a** beat up by Withey, Traylor, etc in practice everyday is probably scary.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

I know, touchy subject. When Zach Peters' announced his transfer, I caught perhaps a well deserved rash of crap because I suggested that there might be more to his decision to transfer than just health issues. I suggested that if it were truly health issues, why not just stay at KU, redshirt, and have a spot on next year's squad?

This article says he cleared his concussion test in January.

When he transferred, the article said that his shoulder was not 100% yet. Obviously, he did not have surgery. If he didn't have surgery, that likely resolved quickly.

Again, probably just useless and idle speculation that serves no purpose (as I have been told). But when I hear one thing, and it really doesn't add up, it does raise a little curiosity.

At the time, Self said the following:

Self added: “We have had numerous contacts with his family about this and we are all in total agreement that before Zach could move forward with any type of athletic endeavors, he needs to be in a situation where he can address his health issues.” Self also said, “He’s not leaving here to go play (elsewhere) but be done. I don’t think he’s going to try to play sports, at least for a while,” Self said. “The fact he has had that many (concussions) in this short amount of time, plus the shoulder, I think he got pretty discouraged. He wants to move in a different direction, which to be honest, if it was my son, I’d tell him to do the same thing."

So my curiosity was, why couldn't he address it at KU? Seems like a great spot with all the medical attention available.

KansasComet 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't think there is a great track record for players that commit to KU when they are still sophomores in high school. Peters, Royce? Are there anymore? I know EJ was an early commit as well.

David Brown 8 years, 7 months ago

Good questions HEM (and thanks for the old Self quotes). At the time, it seemed Zach's athletic career was over, not just at KU, but over anywhere. Certainly, you wish him well, both physically and mentally. Surprising that he wants to resume athletics at all, but as you ask, why not right back into the mix at KU?
The jump from HS to college is huge. The jump to a college power like KU is even greater. Would love to have Zach scoring and rebounding for the Jayhawks, but if that can't happen, wish the best for him elsewhere.

Hawk8086 8 years, 7 months ago

From what I had read, I had high hopes for Zach at KU. I seem to recall that during the early exhibition games Self said he played the best of the big men. If that is so, we could sure have used him this coming fall especially. When he left I had the same questions in my mind as Jhox and HEM. I hope it all works out for Zach.

Andy Godwin 8 years, 6 months ago

I had always hoped Zac would return to KU. He was by far the best big man in Europe last year, defense, rebounding, overall hustle and looked to be the type of player to steal extra positions. Not sure what happened passed the conclusions at KU but Zac could have contributed greatly.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 6 months ago

Really, now, in retrospect, I think the guy was homesick. When you add everything up, that makes the most sense. Getting injured, having those difficulties, compounded by being away from family -- can't criticize a guy for that. Just my speculation.

After watching the grainy footage from Europe, McLemore stood out obviously, but the two new guys I was most impressed with were White and Peters. He looked every bit as good as many folks speculated he would be. He looked like the guy that was better than his ranking, and looked better than Ellis, Traylor, or Lucas (just my opinion).

When folks don't like the reliance on rankings .. Peters is an example of where rankings aren't as important. Self identified him early despite his low ranking and secured the commitment. Self did that for a reason. A "trust Self" moment. He wasn't a 5th or 6th choice, or the result of "surprise."

Wish Peters would have been able to stay.

yates33333 8 years, 6 months ago

I agree with your assessment of big men. He surely didn't leave because of his comparability with the other new big men. He seemed better than the others in the games in Europe. We assuredly could have used him this year and the next. He should be a star at UNT. They had a great coach recently, but he is at LSU now. I don't know much about their current coach, except I am sure there is much to know. I guess if you are raised in Dallas, Lawrence isn't where you might want to be. However, didn't his dad go the KU? Oh, well, water under the bridge. I hope he does great at UNT.

DanR 8 years, 6 months ago

If the guy had 2 concussions at KU on top of the others he's had, it's ridiculous to even try to speculate why the guy went home. He had a $%*&ing brain injury.

Hopefully he'll be able to regroup physically and mentally and still play some college ball and get an education.

Phognatic 8 years, 6 months ago

HEM, I enjoy your posts but I think I there is a little too much analysis here. Having some medical knowledge, I can tell you that recurrent concussions can be completely disruptive, not just for an individual's athletic pursuits, but daily life. Concussions can have memory problems, chronic headaches, sleep disturbances, depression, ect, ect. I'm not certain, but even if he applied for a medical redshirt, you would have likely still been required to attend classes, which he may not have been in any shape to do. I think that's plenty for an 18 y/o to need to head closer to home. No conspiracies here. And him trying to get back into athletics says nothing about possible conspiracies. 30 something, over-the-hill pro athletes, struggle to let go of their athletic pursuits, is it really that surprising that a 19 y/o kid would like to give it a second go? We wish you the best Zach.

Stu Van Gorp 8 years, 7 months ago

Sherron's steal, three pointer, and assist we're the true miracles of the 2008 Championship. I knew Mario's shot would overshadow that effort but never expected this board to turn on the four year player whose jersey deserves a place in the rafters at AFH. Best wishes always for continued success Mr. Collins. I'll never forget.

Cameron Cederlind 8 years, 6 months ago

Nobody is turning on Collins here, they're just saying he's probably missed his NBA chances. Not one person on this board would be critical of what he did for the program while he was here but you can't have unrealistic expectations for someone just because they were great for the program.

yates33333 8 years, 6 months ago

He was good and a valuable asset for four years, but he was not of the caliber of those whose jerseys are in the rafters. I hope he catches on with some team and makes a ton of money. Europe does seem to be his best bet.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Welcome home, Sherron. Am glad you are in Lawrence, waiting to introduce Self's splendid incoming recruits to the giant step forward to bigtime Division One Hoops.

REHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Zach, best of luck to you in your return to college basketball. I will keep an eye on your stats and keep fingers crossed that you suffer no more serious headblows. Thanks for committing to KU hoops so early in your development. Your heart was in the right place. Even tho things did not work out for you in Lawrence, most fans will remember that a piece of you will always be JAYHAWK.

Mick Allen 8 years, 7 months ago

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 7 months ago

The mismatch of Wayne Simien and Richard Rosenzweig is a little disturbing. Simien can't play professionally anymore due to physical reasons and looks like he has let himself go, ala Collins. Rosenzweig clearly has the advantage here and seems to be taunting Simien. Just shameful!

Ann Oneill 8 years, 6 months ago

That is one ugly looking shot. Just sayin.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 6 months ago

ralster .. what's even more impressive is that Rosenzweig is actually jaybate. Didn't know that, did you? Can bring in on the court, and on the message board.

Vincent Patterson 8 years, 6 months ago

LOL!! Now that was funny. If I had to picture what Jaybate looked like, that's about right! LOL!!!!!!

kufankam 8 years, 6 months ago

surely this is sarcasm??? wasn't there - did that little guy actually go by him? based on the photos, wayne doesnt appear to have "let himself go". he isn't the rock he was during his playing days, but he still looks pretty put together.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 6 months ago

Despite all we owe Sherron for his four years of dedication and play, and he WILL always be one of my favorites, I am still disappointed that he has not managed to discipline himself to grab his dream of pro ball.

The Minnesota Wild have a starting goalie who has MS!! Achieving the highest standard in pro hockey by being a NHL starter while battling MS sort of dwarfs the challenge to control your weight gain in order to your optimize your playing opportunity, don't you think??

Michael Luby 8 years, 6 months ago

Man, I wish Peters would have stayed. Who really knows why exactly he left. He is gone but not forgotten. Best of luck to you Big P!

kranny 8 years, 6 months ago

Whats to understand about zack. He failed 4 concussion tests, cant play ball and is uncertain about jis future so he goes home to get healthy and refocus. He frees jp a scholly for k u in the process. No conspiracies just life.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 6 months ago

Now that's funny ... Knight, er, coach Knight, would be very happy.

kufankam 8 years, 6 months ago

every time i see the nuggets play i think of sherron. sherron came to KU in the shadow of lawson at UNC. however, throughout his career, he was every bit as good as lawson (if not better). everyone has already noted the struggles sherron had, but i wish he would find a way to shed the lbs and get going... it stinks to see lawson flourish and sherron is not even on the map.

Vincent Patterson 8 years, 6 months ago

I ain't giving up on Sherron just yet. Still one of my favorite hawks of all-time. In the spirit of Mrs. Klump; "Sherron, all you gotta do is believe in yoself and you can do anything". Man, get yo azz back in game shape and show everybody what time it is! I know you still got that "killa" in you!!!

Vincent Patterson 8 years, 6 months ago

Uh, well uh, sorry, I am going to have to retract my previous comment. Don't look like that come back is gonna happen after all. Just saw the gallery from the game.....Dam!!! Put the burgers down mane!!!

He was still cold-blooded though!!!

vd 8 years, 6 months ago

Sherron is putting on weight cause he ran out of space for the new tat he wants.