Saturday, March 16, 2013

Notebook: Bill Self on Bruce Weber comment: ‘Our players definitely knew about it’

Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber gets animated with an official during the second half of the Big 12 tournament championship on Saturday, March 16 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Kansas State

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 70-54 win over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship on March 16, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Kevin Young

Kansas seniors Jeff Withey, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Kevin Young talk to reporters after the Jayhawks' 70-54 victory over Kansas State in the Big 12 tournament championship game on March 16, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-KSU

— Kansas State basketball coach Bruce Weber recently joked at a Big 12 regular-season co-champion net-cutting party that he’d hoped to celebrate the league title a week earlier on the Wildcats’ Senior Day, but poor officiating in the Kansas-Iowa State game got in the way.

Did Weber’s comment give the Jayhawks any extra motivation in Saturday’s 70-54 Big 12 tournament title win over the Wildcats, especially considering KU went 2-0 versus KSU during the regular season?

“Our players definitely knew about it,” Self said. “The thing about it ... I’ll be honest, I don’t pay attention to what people say in front of their fans at a pep rally or whatever to get them juiced up, because I’m sure I’ve said some things that people could probably look at and say, ‘Wow was that intended for us?’

“But one thing about basketball, the calls add up pretty equal over the course of an entire season. And I was glad personally we got a chance to play K-State because even though we tied — but we left little doubt leaving here beating them three times that we were pretty good. We stubbed our toe a couple times we shouldn’t have. But they had a great season. I don’t know if it was motivation for our guys, but they certainly knew about it.”

Travis Releford said: “We don’t control the refs. We don’t make calls. We just go play. If you want to go by that whole game (KU win over Iowa State in Ames), there could have been bad calls the other way too (aside from a no call on a possible Elijah Johnson charging call late and Kevin Young being credited with a foul that may have been committed by Jeff Withey).”

Top seed/KC locale? KU coach Self said the Jayhawks could be awarded a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament on Sunday. KU enters the 5 p.m. CBS-TV Selection Show with a 29-5 record and Big 12 regular-season and postseason tourney titles.

Self said he thought the Jayhawks are one of five or six teams in discussion for a top seed.

“It would be nice for our kids,” he said. “You work so hard and everything is the road to the Final Four and No. 1 seeds get notoriety, especially with recruiting, so it would be awesome to be a 1 seed .. I think our resume is pretty good.”

Self said he did think KU would be playing in the first round Friday in KC’s Sprint Center. If KU would win Friday, it’d earn a second game in Sprint Center Sunday. Generally the NCAA tries to keep top four seeds in sites closest to home.

“That would be fun,” said Travis Releford. “We have a lot of friends and family who could come to the games. We like playing here, but we’ll play wherever they send us.”

He’s OK: KU senior Kevin Young scored nine points and grabbed nine rebounds with three assists in 27 minutes. He was playing with a brace on his injured lower right leg.

“I felt great today,” Young said. “It didn’t bother me at all. I got a lot of treatment on it. So just going to continue to get treatment. It probably won’t bother me that much, anymore.”

“He said he was 100 percent and didn’t bother him at all,” Self said.

Celebration: KU freshman Ben McLemore performed air guitar while holding a Big 12 championship sign during the victory celebration ... Self hugged his wife, Cindy, and daughter, Lauren, who joined him on the floor for the postgame celebration. ... Christian Garrett cut the first strand of net and Travis Releford the last in the players’ net-cutting ceremony. ... The fans chanted “MVP” as tourney MVP Jeff Withey cut his strand of net. ... All-tourney team member Perry Ellis said he’d likely give his strand to his mom to put on display in the family home in Wichita.

This, that: KU is now 9-1 in Big 12 tournament finals. KU is 13-5 overall in conference tourney title games. ... KU has won 11 straight over KSU in conference tourney games. KU is 8-0 versus KSU in the Big 12 tourney. KU is 3-1 vs. KSU in title games in conference tourneys. KU is 39-3 overall versus KSU in the Big 12 era.

Reception: A woman in a wedding dress and man in tuxedo sat several rows behind KU’s bench after getting married on Saturday. Faith Jacobsen and Eric DeVault of Olathe said a relative gave them tickets to the tourney as a wedding present. “This is the reception,” Faith said with a smile. The two were shown on the “Kiss Cam” to the delight of the crowd.

Amazing plays: Elijah Johnson dribbled through the legs of Will Spradling before hitting a floater ... Jamari Traylor went high to block the shot of Rodney McGruder in the first half. ... Naadir Tharpe had a bullet bounce pass to Releford for a dunk.

Stats, facts: KU’s 55.6-percent shooting in three Big 12 tourney games broke the old record of 55.3 percent set by Missouri last year. KU hit 52 of 81 shots in the second half for 64.2 percent. KU made 15 of 22 threes in the second half of the games. ... KU coach Self receives $50,000 in incentive bonus compensation from KU’s athletic department for winning the 2012-13 regular-season conference title and $25,000 for his squad winning the postseason tourney. ... KU has won 13 conference tourney titles; nine during the Big 12 era. ... KU has won the Big 12 regular-season and tournament championships in three of the last four seasons. ... Self is 298-58 at KU and 505-163 overall. He owns a 30-9 all-time mark in conference tournament play and 21-4 at Kansas in the Big 12 Championship. ... KU is now 2,099-811 all-time. ... Perry Ellis became the first freshman on the all-tourney team since Texas' Tristan Thompson in 2011. He is the first KU freshman since Mario Chalmers and Julian Wright in 2006. ... Ellis finished the tournament with a team-best 43 points and also shot 18-for-23 (78.2 percent), which is a new KU tournament record, topping Wayne Simien's 65.6-percent effort in 2005. ... Ellis’ three-point field goal at the 6:14 mark of the second half marked the second made trey of his career. He is now 2-for-3. ... Sophomore Naadir Tharpe posted a career-best 12 points, thanks to a career-high four threes. He was 4-for-6 from beyond the arc. ... Ben McLemore missed his first four shots and scored his first points with a three-pointer from the right corner at the 10:11 mark in the second half. McLemore finished with a season-low five points, after scoring a combined 41 points against K-State in the two regular-season meetings.

Comments

Timothy Grillot 1 year ago

What seems lost in all the national debate over officiating is you cannot hang your hat on one call. That assumes that the game was called perfectly to that point. We have the benefit of DVR, slow motion and Monday morning QB ing. Refs have to call a game with 10 highly athletic and talented players in super fast motion. In addition we absolutely expect more athleticism and physicality. That's a darn tall order. Whining about officiating officiating(which I'm guilty of) is poor sportsmanship. For sake of argument let's assume ISU game was called "perfectly" Withey's 3 & 4 fouls would've been blocks not charges and at least 2 points would not have been waved off and if he made the and 1 EJ wouldn't have driven the basket hence no block/,charge argument and KYs phantom foul would've been Ws 4th (btw this dialogue got me banned on Clone msg board)

GortHawker 1 year ago

I think Coach Weber will take the first job offered him outside the B12 because he now has to be contemplating the fact he will never beat Coach Self, I think the Topeka YMCA would be good for him.

handlon 1 year ago

I'm back on those two idiot announcers last night. I nearly had a fit when they were talking about how Weber should work the refs more and he should threaten to do what the opposing coach did the night before. Then Fraschilla went on to say that Coach Self threw a temper tantrum on national tv. By that point in the game, I had had it with their discussions about how the refs were helping us. I guess they didn't notice that KState had to foul us to try to keep up with us. Finally they changed their tune a bit, but they still are a couple of old coots if you ask me! Going to Kansas City Kansas City here we come...!!!!!

Robert Brown 1 year ago

CBS bracketogist has us possibly playing Missouri. No way, MU is rewarded with a trip to KC, right?

joshar 1 year ago

I think what should also help Kansas get a number 1 seed, is that they beat 3 conference tournament champions: Ohio St - Big 10 St. Louis - Atlanta 10 Belmont - Ohio Valley

Mike Nicco 1 year ago

"KU’s 55.6-percent shooting in three Big 12 tourney games broke the old record of 55.3 percent set by Missouri last year." Beating KSU for the Big 12 Tournament Championship and erasing Mizzou from the record books. Does it get much better!!

Timothy Todd 1 year ago

Given that KU was 3-0 against KSU this year maybe it should be referred to the "Senior Big 12 Champion" and the "Junior Big 12 Champion." Just a thought, but I'd buy that T-Shirt.

mikehawk 1 year ago

It is just my opinion, but Bill Self going off on the refs Friday night harkened back to the aftermath of the ISU game in Ames, and his effort to make sure he was not going to allow "ISU ref sympathy" to have any impact on the game outcome. I think he was looking for any chance to go off at any sign of call disparity. Any coincidence in the disparity of the team foul count on Saturday against KSU? Maybe. Maybe not. Regardless, Coach's 'going off" against the refs on Friday was calculated and brilliant on so many levels. The fact he doesn't normally spend much energy on refs, but on his team and the game, only makes his occasional tirade toward them that much more effective.

The difference between the Self and Weber is that Weber should have done the same thing with the refs Saturday when the team fouls had significant difference between the two teams. Regardless if the calls against them were warranted (I think they were) or if we were at the same time defending with passion without fouling, Weber should have gone crazy until they "T'd" him up one way or another. If he didn't do it in the first half, he darn should have done it in the second. It could have helped his team, got the KSU crowd fired up, and may have impacted future calls. Bruce better get a win against Self soon or things could sour fast at Silo Tech.

LLH 1 year ago

Bruce, you should know better than to tug on Superman's cape by now. Relish that "co-championship" as long as you can, 0-3 against your "rival" dude, it's over.

Joel Hood 1 year ago

Self is right, Weber's comments weren't real, they were just to stir the fan base. Stupid for him to poke KU though.

KSU getting a piece of the title had less to do with the ISU loss to KU than it did:
a. KU having the worst game in its history at TCU
b. Scott Drew tried coaching in the last 2 seconds of the KSU-Baylor game at Waco

oldnongrad 1 year ago

Monk, I don't believe we will have to put up with any more ESPN broadcasts of Hawk games this year. Now we will have to worry about getting Clark Kellogg on their games and I dislike him at least as much as I do Vitale.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year ago

I called espn after the 237th comment about the ref's taking care of the Hawks. That would put my phone call about 8:21 into the first half. Got a nice young man named Adam on the phone. " Hi Adam my name is Monk and I'm calling you to discuss your company's passion for creating the idea that the Jayhawks receive more favorable calls from the ref's, it's inappropriate, wrong and I don't understand your need to do it". "Well, first thank you for your call, I"ll pass this on to the appropriate place. And again we thank you for your call". "Take care Adam".

Now, please I am not saying that my call had anything to do with it. I believe it's more likely that someone in the control truck, room, or even Fran suddenly realized, WTF are we doing here? Fran finally said, more than once,"we have gone back during breaks and looked at the calls and these official's are doing a fantastic job. If you'd like to speak to someone at the "mother ship" 888-549-3776, monk.

REHawk 1 year ago

If there were a way for radio to synchronize its announcing with the televised action, I would never turn up the volume on my bigscreen during a KU game. Televiewers are fed far too much blabbering idiocy by opinionated TV announcers who are more apt to chat about trivia while neglecting to inform audiences about such essential facts as who committed a foul, or whose stats might be approaching double-doubles, etc. This is a trend which seems to be on the woeful incline. In situations where the likes of D. Vitalis makes a show, I just mute the telecast from the getgo, protecting blood pressure.

machinegun 1 year ago

Brent responding to Fran's umpteenth criticism of the officials for giving KU another call or not calling a foul on KU, "No question about it" or "Don't get me started". This constant harping by Brent and Fran began long before the Iowa State game. Perhaps someone from ESPN or the Big 12 finally asked them to tone it down?

justinryman 1 year ago

Fran was a good announcer until his son went to OU. Since then he hase become the Craig James of College basketball. During the OU KU games this year that kid got more camera time on the bench than both coaches combined.

It makes me wonder if Fran tried to get his kid an invited walk-on at Kansas and Self said, "no"?

That would clear things up about why he now has to blame the refs for our wins and how great our opponents are when we lose. He couldn't believe EJ dunked at the end of the ISU game, but he thought iw as cool when Smart did backflips at KU, or that OU got a last second layup instead of running out the clock.

This is my conspiracy theory, that's all.

Jenise Mick 1 year ago

BeachHawk, Amen--I watch the games "muted" cause can't listen to those 2 or any others for that matter.

Beate Williams 1 year ago

I have tried to tolerate Brent but on Friday when the camera was on EJ, Withey and KY and the idiot said that Mc, Withey and KY were sitting out because they all had 3 fouls I just about lost it. All the crap he and Fran said against KU during the entire tourney simply made me sick. Fran did try to recover some last night but like most on these sites, I too would like to see some less experienced announcers who are interested in perfecting their craft, than some aholes who think they know it all and demonstrate they are simply moles, who are simply idiots.

GreatJake 1 year ago

So much talk about KSU being the better team....KSUs own offense in the game last night said they could not compete with KU.

They were holding on to the ball till there were only 10 seconds or less to shoot the ball.....that just says "we cant compete so we are going to slow the game down"

Even funnier KU's defense made sure that their under 10 seconds shots missed......

April13 1 year ago

Just as motivating, I'm sure, were Barnes' comments that KSU was the best team in the conference. Thank you Mr. Barnes. Thank you Mr. Weber.

And, while we are at it, thank you Fran and Brent. You can tell from the player interviews that our boys are a little fed up. If there was ever a true case of a 29-5 team being disrespected, then this is the one.

Janet Scott 1 year ago

COY (Comedian of the Year) Bruce Weber is a Clown, a poor soul who has sniffed far too many manure fumes at KSU, which has negatively effected what little intellect he has. And now, KU beat up on him (again) last night. Poor Bruce.

nostradavid 1 year, 1 month ago

Coach Weber is good enough, I guess ...

for me to poupon!

for me to poupon! by nostradavid

s6u6r6f 1 year, 1 month ago

midwest_muser 1 year, 1 month ago

The 19000 was really something. Several of the Final games in other conferences were played in front of empty arenas. The MWC was horrible. There were more people at the buffet at the Sands than those games...

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 1 month ago

The match drew 19000 something crowd. I'm not surprise if we meet again. But I don't know what you're going to call it, 3 times a charm, but 4 times? 5 times? Anytime, anyplace. We are Kansas!

s6u6r6f 1 year, 1 month ago

Good on ya, boys! This victory was as satisfying as Traylor's block. On to the tourney and greatness. Rock chalk.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Bruce Weber apparently didn't say much after this beat down.

I don't see one quote from him.

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

Great line by Self to Holly Rowe after the game. The one about having a great season, just one bad week.

I guess if our loses would have been more spread out, then KU would be in the same boat as puke, mich, indy, G'town and so on.

KU's just came all at once and that sucks, but just cause KU is KU they make a huge ordeal about it.

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

Feeling real good about the NCAA Tournament. It's winning time!