Thursday, June 6, 2013

KU extends deal with adidas through 2019

Kansas players come to a huddle while trailing Temple during the second half on Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

So much for the message board chatter about moving back to Nike.

Thursday afternoon, Kansas University officials announced via press release that Kansas Athletics and adidas have agreed to renew their footwear and apparel partnership — one of the largest such partnerships in college athletics — through 2019. The commitment extends by six years the original eight-year agreement between adidas and KU, which was signed in 2005.

According to the release, the six-year extension is a sponsorship and product-allowance agreement worth in excess of $26 million.

“We have been extremely pleased with our partnership with adidas,” KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger said in the release. “Adidas promised quality and dedication to service to all our teams and they have delivered what they promised. The fact that adidas eagerly sought to extend our partnership clearly demonstrates to us their continued understanding of the tremendous value of the entire Kansas Athletics program.”

Since the fall of 2005, adidas has provided footwear, uniforms, apparel and accessories to each of the Jayhawks’ 18 intercollegiate athletics teams, and KU has achieved great success during that stretch.

• The men’s basketball team won the 2008 NCAA Championship and reached the championship game in 2012

• The women’s basketball team reached the Sweet 16 two consecutive years, making Kansas the only university in the country whose men’s and women’s teams reached the NCAA Sweet 16 in both 2012 and 2013

• The football team won a BCS Bowl — the 2008 Orange Bowl

• The women’s track and field team has won two Big 12 Conference Championships, several NCAA individual championships and an Olympic Gold medal in 2012

• The volleyball, soccer and softball teams also have reached the NCAA Tournament.

Adidas holds strong partnerships across collegiate athletics, developing high-performance footwear, apparel and accessories for more than 70 collegiate programs including Notre Dame, Michigan, UCLA, Tennessee, Indiana, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Louisville. In addition, adidas is the official uniform and apparel provider for the National Basketball Association and Major League Soccer and equips some of the best athletes in the world including Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Damian Lillard, Lionel Messi, Robert Griffin III, Von Miller, Candace Parker and Heather O’Reilly.

The company appears thrilled to keep its tie to KU for another six years.

“We are proud of our relationship with KU’s outstanding athletics program,” said adidas Vice President of Sport Performance David Baxter. “We are excited to have KU athletes, coaches and fans wear adidas and look forward to continuing our successful partnership.”

Comments

Greg Lux 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I loved Converse All-stars am I showing my age??? :)))

bad_dog 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Somewhat ironically given the theme of this thread, two of the current ads running on this page are for footwear from both Adidas and Nike.

nuleafjhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

In all sincerity, I am sure that the Kentucky recruits do NOT care what brand they are sporting. Most of them have never worn shoes before, so it's all good to them.

Sam Constance 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Any recruit whose decision will come down to the brand of athletic apparel used by the program is a recruit I want no part of here at KU. Talk about having misplaced priorities.

To be clear, I'm not talking about recruits who maybe prefer one brand over the other. That is only natural--we all have our preferences when it comes to the brands of stuff we use. I'm talking about recruits for whom Adidas is a dealbreaker for coming to Kansas.

Randy Bombardier 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Back when I played a lot of tennis I had a favorite pair of Adidas shoes. They lasted five years and I played tennis all the time. I am pretty old-school about uniforms and like the uniforms to pretty much stay the same with some historical elements. I just want to say Thank You Adidas but could you get a better logo?

Fred Davis 10 months, 2 weeks ago

How bout the basketball team sign with Jordan and let the rest of the athletic department go Adidas.... Wishful thinking. I'm 32, so I'm a Nike guy all the way, and there's just something about the Swoosh and the Jumpman logo, that looks so much sleeker than the clunky looking Adidas logo. Either way, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. It hasn't slowed Billy down, and that's all that matters.

ABeesus 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Nike or Adidas present hundreds of options to athletic programs. KU's staff chooses the 'look' we receive. Blame or credit them for what Hawk uniforms look like.

I could care less if they come out in ragged old sweats. I just want 'em to play well. Which they almost always do!

This may be the best recruiting class since Dr. Allen convinced Wilt to come here!

timcampbell 10 months, 2 weeks ago

All Day I Dream About Sex =ADIDAS

Tony Bandle 10 months, 2 weeks ago

HOORAY!!!

Now we can argue about Adidas vs Nike as a change of pace from the standard Kansas University versus the University of Kansas battle.

Other worthy topics to consider for debate; the Trajan Font, a modified "Mean Jayhawk" ala Seattle Seahawk, The Track and Bill's hair [ is it or isn't it?? ]

bennybob 10 months, 2 weeks ago

This decision was a mistake, plain and simple.

Robert Brock 10 months, 2 weeks ago

NIKE and adidas have one thing in common: They promote UGLY!!!!!!!

Doug Roberts 10 months, 2 weeks ago

THESE unis are why I don't like Adidas for KU. That's the best they could do? Shameful.

nuleafjhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

LJW - next time you run an article concerning what brand of shirts, shoes and jocks we are wearing, PLEASE do it during football or basketball season. It's a terrible thing to have nearly 70 comments of people arguing over swooshes or stripes.

MinorThreat 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Adidas did a fine job with the '88 throwbacks early last season.

BringBackNike 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Lets also not forget the template for next year's cookie-cutter jerseys

Even Wiggins can't make these look good

Even Wiggins can't make these look good by BringBackNike

BringBackNike 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey adidas fans, be sure to get your new football shirts!

6 years of more adidas garbage

6 years of more adidas garbage by BringBackNike

BringBackNike 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Never forget...

6 more years of this crap

6 more years of this crap by BringBackNike

johninkc1 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Nice to see our university uses their heads. Nike is way overrated. The only reason anybody wears their junk is that a guy named Jordan wore it. Otherwise, whatever. I like the cameo uniforms. They are fun, perhaps not for every day wear by a blue blood program but everyone needs a sense of humor, not a sense of being just like everyone else.

Tomas 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Gorilla 10: Big 12 titles...baseball, football and basketball @ Riley County?

They didn't "tie" us in basketball... we beat them three (3) times...two (2) blowouts...it's called "head-to-head" competition in most of the "free world"...not quite sure how Bruce Weber refers to same.

gorilla10 10 months, 2 weeks ago

We should be sponsored by Russell athletic. They pay great!!

Fortesque Beagleton 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Personally, I don't give a flip about either Nike of Adidas. Average people shouldn't pay Nike for the right to give Nike free advertising. Same for Adidas or any other brand. I feel like big brands should pay consumers for the right to have their logos strutted around and not vice versa. Luckily Adidas PAYS KU for the rights to have their logo brandished all over TV and the world. I prefer to wear Adidas KU gear, because Adidas is good for KU. Simple as that. Oh, and the uniforms are great, both BB and FB (especially the 07-08 FB unis). "Fan Gear" claims that one is superior to the other is absurd. They both make tons of crap at multiple price points. People who have been duped into believing one "brand" is better than another will simply prefer that brand no matter what.

Josh Galler 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Nike overrated. I think they should had gone with lululemon. Their men shorts r compfy but they do notnmake shoes

Hawk8086 10 months, 2 weeks ago

This was a business decision. I'm sure that Zenger, Self, and everyone else involved in the decision took into account all factors.........including recruiting.

Casey Gee 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe it's because I'm a KU fan, but I honestly like the looks of Adidas uniforms better than Nike. I do like Nike shoes better, but really don't like the way the uniforms fit at Nike schools. In any case, people make WAY too big of a deal out of this. Adidas is simply willing to supply all of our non-revenue sports with gear for free and Nike isn't.

Ethan Berger 10 months, 2 weeks ago

National championship game had two Adidas schools. Adidas has better basketball unis however Nike shoes are better. Adidas is good, so no issue here.

Andrew Horigan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Great, we all know Adidas was responsible for the Louisville kid Kevin Ware's horrific leg injury. Better not see a bone sticking out of a Jayhawk's leg.

Sean Edmiston 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I personally own some pretty awesome adidas apparel. You all nit-pick too much. And, yeah, Nike has a wide variety of uni's they provide at schools like Oklahoma St, Oregon, etc., but have you looked at all of those uniforms? OSU and Oregon have worn some downright awful uniforms. If kids are picking schools over us because of the Nike vs adidas thing, then do they really have the quality of character we want?

RL 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The fan gear with Adidas is terrible.....

jayhawkinATL 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Screw Nike if they can't give us the respect that adidas does!!!

Glen Miller 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I wouldn't have a problem with Adidas if they had more to offer us the fans in the way of style and excitement. A lot of the Adidas stuff KU has is boring or lame in my opinion. I still find Nike KU stuff and buy it because it's just better. I'm sure that for the University this is the right move and in the overall scheme of it, that's what matters most. However, as a fan I was hoping for Nike or Under Armour.

J_Ri_11 10 months, 2 weeks ago

appeals more to recruits? Give me a break. What appeals to recruits is bill self being awesome, not some stupid logo that can barely be seen on the jersey. Just think...if Kansas signed with nike we probably would have gotten Wayne Selden and Andrew Wiggins.......oh wait.

Robin Smith 10 months, 2 weeks ago

amateur fashionistas and hypemongers everywhere

Rick Arnoldy 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I okay with it if KU added a "veto clause" on ugly uniforms.

DocBean 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Adidas pays WAY more than Nike... because they have to, so It's not really a win or a loss for KU.

We're getting a lot of money from Adidas, and although I think Nike would help our recruiting, Bill Self and Wiggins has proven that it's not as big of a deal as I thought it was.

I'm sad for the fans, because like everyone has said, Nike makes better fan apparel.

Kyle Cornish 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Folks, I would be willing to bet that Nike did not come in and give ANYWHERE close to the deal Adidas offered. At best, I bet Nike offered to give non football/basketball 50% off their non uniform stuff, like shoes, etc. That costs money from an athletic department that has struggled financially and needs to save where it can before Big 12 TV money kicks in. Adidas stepped up and took cost off our plate and gave us some money in pocket. That is a win.

gorilla10 10 months, 2 weeks ago

When I walk into a store and see sweet nike gear for both Mizzou and Kstate it drives me crazy!!! Adidas fan apparel is nothing compared to what nike has to offer. I don't mind the uniforms the players wear as long as they're KU traditional....

1. Nike
  2. Under armor
  3. Adidas

Nike is much more appealing to recruits and fans! I ran a survey at school and it was a landslide for nike and under armor. Adidas wasn't anywhere close.....

Zstegs 10 months, 2 weeks ago

As long as they added a clause stipulating no future camo or smurf uniforms, we should be fine.

PenaltyKick 10 months, 2 weeks ago

The adidas uniforms will look much better when they do away with the Trajan font.

nuleafjhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

i don't give a crap if they wear flip-flops and tie-dyed t-shirts with khaki shorts, I'm just glad to finally see an article with KU basketball players in it.

KU_Dude 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Hopefully cammoflauge isn't part of the agreement.

Ron Prichard 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow. I can't say I'm one of the posters who thought KU should switch to Nike, but I wasn't against it, either. I know one of the major selling points on the original deal with Adidas was that they would outfit all of the athletic teams, both men and women, which they appear to be continuing with this extension. I wonder if Nike was unwilling to make such a deal or if they were even considered. I would like to think it was explored but Adidas provided the better deal. All things considered, I think this deal keeps KU on the leading edge when it comes to outfitting all its athletes and maximizing revenues.

kugrad93 10 months, 2 weeks ago

It was bad enough that KU tried to say in the press release that all of its athletic programs have had "unprecedented success" in the past eight years. J-W, did you really have to repeat that ridiculous claim?

hailtoku 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Although I'm a fan of Adidas, Nike is more appealing to recruits.

BringBackNike 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Terrible news. Looks like my username is good for six more years. Hurray for cookie-cutter uniforms and cheap fan gear!

Hurinfan 10 months, 2 weeks ago

This makes me happy. I tired of all the talk and I like Adidas much more than Nike anyway.

worrynotjhawk 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Adidas is good for the university. It provides to all, not just the revenue sports. The haters should be out in full force, but it doesn't take long to find someone who has a child or relative that benefits from adidas being the brand at KU. Being on an athletic scholarship should mean you don't have to worry about buying your gear, and this is mainly what adidas brings to the table.