Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Early returns on, off field positive for KU juco transfer Sendish

Cassius Sendish

Cassius Sendish

The Big 12 Conference football office on Tuesday released the names of the 34 players who will represent their schools at the annual Big 12 media days later this month in Dallas.

For the past several weeks, it was believed that Kansas University was sending senior running back James Sims, junior quarterback Jake Heaps and junior linebacker Ben Heeney as its player reps.

However, when the official list surfaced Tuesday, it included those three names and one more — junior-college transfer Cassius Sendish, a cornerback from Arizona Western who arrived at KU in January.

Sendish’s inclusion becomes the latest positive step in a career that has taken major strides during the past few years. Once an undersized 5-foot-2, 92-pound high school freshman, Sendish has blossomed into a 6-foot, 187-pound projected starter at Kansas. More impressive than his physical growth, however, may be that in just a few months he has earned enough respect and trust from KU coach Charlie Weis to be added to a list for which some players wait their entire careers.

Although Sendish arrived at Kansas as a cornerback, Tuesday’s Big 12 release listed him as a safety, which may indicate that the junior-college transfer has changed positions. Sendish began the spring as a first-string cornerback, but appears to have moved to the middle of the field, where his intelligence, frame and physicality should serve him well.

During an interview with the Journal-World this spring, Sendish said he was thrilled to be at KU, even more pleased to top the depth chart, but was not planning on getting ahead of himself.

“You gotta take things one step at a time so that’s what we’re doing,” he said. “We’re not rushing for the season to come. It’s definitely a big thing just to be able to come in and join the family as quick as possible, especially in the offseason because everything you do in the offseason is reflected once you get into the season.”

From the beginning of his recruitment to this day, Sendish has come across as deeply focused and more interested in taking advantage of his one shot to play Division I football than living the college lifestyle. His words have been all business and his focus only on getting better and helping KU turn things around.

“I feel like I know what’s at stake,” Sendish said. “Just being weathered through the (juco) process has really humbled me.”

Asked this spring if he had taken a moment to celebrate reaching the Division I level, Sendish wasted no time in explaining that he was far from finished working.

“It hasn’t hit me yet,” he said. “I can’t give you a date. It’ll just be one day when I’m sitting around and I go, ‘I’m here.’ But I can’t be content with just that.”

If nothing else, the ticket to Dallas proves Sendish has not been satisfied thus far and that his coaches and teammates have recognized that.

Big 12 media days will run July 22-23 in Dallas. KU is one of five teams slated to take its turn with the media on Day 1. The Jayhawks will be joined by Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech. Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia will round out this year’s event on Day 2.

Comments

Adam Gerval 9 months, 3 weeks ago

So Pearce Slater just committed to KU. The dude is 6'8" 330 lbs. Basically, he's a monster. With a few more of these guys, KU could have a dominant O-Line.

Ralster Jayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

As long as these more-experienced guys take proper angles and at least have 4.5-4.6 speed we are upgraded. If they can hit, we just got tougher. If they can interchange between safety and CB duties, as well as blitz, then we are building a very versatile defense. I like the options we are developing on the defense--> our D has been WAY too predictable and vanilla the last 3 yrs. Career NFL-D-coordinator/secondary coach Dave Campo didnt have much to work with last year. But that is changing.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Love me some Sendish. Says all the right things and is, apparently, getting it done in the eyes of the staff. Other than the fact that he looks like Derrick Rose, this guy has the look of a really great Jayhawk.

Tony Bandle 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Silence on any injury can only mean one of two things....they don't know how severe it is except that it looks severe or they do know how severe it is and it looks severe. :(

Jim Jackson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I read about that rumor; hoping it is not true as well.

Tait, any inside info you can provide? Thank you sir!

JayDocMD 9 months, 3 weeks ago

The silence on the Marcus Jenkins-Moore ACL rumor is deafening.

Jim Jackson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought Kevin Short was supposed to be playing safetty as well as Isaiah Johnson? Shoud be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Pretty disappinted that Chris Martin could not conduct himself properly; he could have been a game changer for us.

Anyone know much about Ben Goodman? His replacement?

redlegger 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Mr. Sendish appears to be an excellent young man. KU will be well represented in Dallas by these Jayhawks.

phog1004 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Tait, I am curious if you have heard about any of the late arrivals....particularly Short (and if he is still projecting as a Corner), Bolton (who's arrivale becomes paramount after Martin's dismissal), and Isaiah Johnson (Who I assumed would lock down a Safety spot pretty easily, and makes me wonder why a lock down guy like Sendish is moving over there)

might as well add the WR's too in Coleman and Thomas, now that it looks like Harwell may wind up getting screwed out of a season this year....

Andy Tweedy 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Cleveland, the way the NCAA works, you'll be lucky to read about his eligibility more than 5 minutes before kickoff of game 3. But I hear you, I'd love to know that, too.

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Would love to hear more about Hartwell (sp?) from Miami of Ohio and his pending transfer/graduation if possible.

Dirk Medema 9 months, 3 weeks ago

A least 1 of the JUCO DB's was going to move to safety. Maybe this is recognition that McDonald and Shepherd are doing well enough that there is a greater need in the middle. Aren't all of the DB's 6'?