Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Early returns on, off field positive for KU juco transfer Sendish

Cassius Sendish

Cassius Sendish

The Big 12 Conference football office on Tuesday released the names of the 34 players who will represent their schools at the annual Big 12 media days later this month in Dallas.

For the past several weeks, it was believed that Kansas University was sending senior running back James Sims, junior quarterback Jake Heaps and junior linebacker Ben Heeney as its player reps.

However, when the official list surfaced Tuesday, it included those three names and one more — junior-college transfer Cassius Sendish, a cornerback from Arizona Western who arrived at KU in January.

Sendish’s inclusion becomes the latest positive step in a career that has taken major strides during the past few years. Once an undersized 5-foot-2, 92-pound high school freshman, Sendish has blossomed into a 6-foot, 187-pound projected starter at Kansas. More impressive than his physical growth, however, may be that in just a few months he has earned enough respect and trust from KU coach Charlie Weis to be added to a list for which some players wait their entire careers.

Although Sendish arrived at Kansas as a cornerback, Tuesday’s Big 12 release listed him as a safety, which may indicate that the junior-college transfer has changed positions. Sendish began the spring as a first-string cornerback, but appears to have moved to the middle of the field, where his intelligence, frame and physicality should serve him well.

During an interview with the Journal-World this spring, Sendish said he was thrilled to be at KU, even more pleased to top the depth chart, but was not planning on getting ahead of himself.

“You gotta take things one step at a time so that’s what we’re doing,” he said. “We’re not rushing for the season to come. It’s definitely a big thing just to be able to come in and join the family as quick as possible, especially in the offseason because everything you do in the offseason is reflected once you get into the season.”

From the beginning of his recruitment to this day, Sendish has come across as deeply focused and more interested in taking advantage of his one shot to play Division I football than living the college lifestyle. His words have been all business and his focus only on getting better and helping KU turn things around.

“I feel like I know what’s at stake,” Sendish said. “Just being weathered through the (juco) process has really humbled me.”

Asked this spring if he had taken a moment to celebrate reaching the Division I level, Sendish wasted no time in explaining that he was far from finished working.

“It hasn’t hit me yet,” he said. “I can’t give you a date. It’ll just be one day when I’m sitting around and I go, ‘I’m here.’ But I can’t be content with just that.”

If nothing else, the ticket to Dallas proves Sendish has not been satisfied thus far and that his coaches and teammates have recognized that.

Big 12 media days will run July 22-23 in Dallas. KU is one of five teams slated to take its turn with the media on Day 1. The Jayhawks will be joined by Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech. Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia will round out this year’s event on Day 2.

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 year, 4 months ago

A least 1 of the JUCO DB's was going to move to safety. Maybe this is recognition that McDonald and Shepherd are doing well enough that there is a greater need in the middle. Aren't all of the DB's 6'?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 4 months ago

Would love to hear more about Hartwell (sp?) from Miami of Ohio and his pending transfer/graduation if possible.

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Good grief! Trouble follows that kid around like his shadow.

That said, none of the arrests were anything too serious. I hope Miami OH does the right thing and lets him take two freaking online classes so he can graduate.

However, part of me wonders if KU (Zenger, Becker, Charlie) is catching a little Karma for how they handled the Brock Berglund release.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

They handled the Berglund case exactly correctly. The karma for that one should be nothing but positive for KU.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 4 months ago

Thanks for posting.

Miami needs to be more cooperative in this case. They are acting like the NCAA by dragging their feet. He got some MIPs and got into an argument with his girlfriend by taking his cap and gown out of her car; none of these minor violations should be taken this severely. They should let him move on with his life.

Jack Jones 1 year, 4 months ago

While I am all about giving someone a "second chance" ~ Mr. Harwell's past record of 5 "incidents", resulting in charges being filed against him ~ in 3 years of college ~ seem to me to be more concerning than being just "minor, college related issues" as his attorney has characterized them. Or perhaps I missed the ruling that because something is a "college related" incident ~ resulting in police charges ~ it really is more of a "prank" ~ and therefore, Mr. Harwell is the victim of prosecutorial "over charging." Obviously, just my personal opinion ~ and trust Coach Weis' interpretation..

Matt Tait 1 year, 4 months ago

There's not a whole lot new in the case, but I have been working on contacting some people who might be able to give me a better indication of Harwell's chances at playing this year.

I may have mentioned this before, but one thing I heard recently was that the longer he was not in Lawrence, the more likely it is that he'll play this year.

In other words, as long as he's working toward completing the 6 or 8 hours he needs to complete for graduation — and as long as Miami is allowing him to do that — the better the odds that he'll graduate from Miami and be able to play as a senior transfer.

I'll stay on it.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 4 months ago

Cleveland, the way the NCAA works, you'll be lucky to read about his eligibility more than 5 minutes before kickoff of game 3. But I hear you, I'd love to know that, too.

redlegger 1 year, 4 months ago

Mr. Sendish appears to be an excellent young man. KU will be well represented in Dallas by these Jayhawks.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 4 months ago

I thought Kevin Short was supposed to be playing safetty as well as Isaiah Johnson? Shoud be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Pretty disappinted that Chris Martin could not conduct himself properly; he could have been a game changer for us.

Anyone know much about Ben Goodman? His replacement?

KGphoto 1 year, 4 months ago

Not sure what Charlie is doing with the safety spot. He also has Greg Allen (former CB) Tevin Shaw, Ray Mitchell and Dexter Linton listed at safety.

I think Sendish will be playing CB but Campo seems to be molding a defense with fluid, interchangeable parts. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit to see him in a dime package half the time in the Big 12, and at that point you just load up with DBs. You can call them safeties or corners, but ultimately they would be able to switch coverage duties instantly before the snap.

I honestly feel we have 4 guys who could float back and forth from safety to corner very easily. McDonald, Allen, Short, Sendish.

Personally, I think Goodman is gonna break out. Anybody is going to have an easier time coming off the edge this year with all the inside push we are gonna get from the DL, and depth in the secondary. He and Reynolds should both reap those benefits.

JayDocMD 1 year, 4 months ago

The silence on the Marcus Jenkins-Moore ACL rumor is deafening.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 4 months ago

hadnt heard about this, i hope its not true

Jim Jackson 1 year, 4 months ago

I read about that rumor; hoping it is not true as well.

Tait, any inside info you can provide? Thank you sir!

Matt Tait 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm looking under every stone and talking to anyone and everyone I possibly can. No one's giving up the info -- good or bad. I'll keep trying, though.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

Silence on any injury can only mean one of two things....they don't know how severe it is except that it looks severe or they do know how severe it is and it looks severe. :(

Brett McCabe 1 year, 4 months ago

Love me some Sendish. Says all the right things and is, apparently, getting it done in the eyes of the staff. Other than the fact that he looks like Derrick Rose, this guy has the look of a really great Jayhawk.

Joe Ross 1 year, 4 months ago

The resemblance to DR is uncanny. If he is as talented on the field as Rose is on the court...

CrystalJones 1 year, 4 months ago

Love that we have so much NFL talent on the coaching staff. I just feel that they know more about the game than career college coaches. And they can teach the non-NFL coaches on staff. NFL>NCAA.