Saturday, January 19, 2013

KU quarterback Turner Baty leaving the program

Kansas quarterback Turner Baty looks to the sideline to make a pass during a drill at the Fan Appreciation Day open practice Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University quarterback Turner Baty, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound sophomore who joined the Jayhawks before the 2012 season after transferring from City College of San Francisco, has decided to return to CCSF.

“With Jake Heaps and Michael Cummings both competing for time at the quarterback position, I have decided it would be in my best interest to go back to City College of San Francisco and get some game experience,” said Baty of the school he helped lead to a juco national championship in 2011. “I have not ruled out the idea of returning to Kansas after getting a season of play under my belt. I love it here and I want to thank everyone in the Jayhawk community for their support.”

Despite KU's persistent struggles at quarterback during 2012, Baty never was able to work his way into the mix and spent most of his red-shirt season working with the scout team.

Throughout his one year in town, Baty was very outspoken about his fondness for his new home.

“This decision was really tough because I truly love KU and love Lawrence and, most of all, my teammates,” Baty said.

In the same news release, KU coach Charlie Weis referred to Baty's talk of a possible return in the future.

“We would like to thank Turner for his participation in our program this year,” Weis said. “We wish him well upon his return to junior college. After meeting (Saturday) we agreed that a return to KU is a possibility.”

Baty played just one season at CCSF before transferring to KU and, therefore, has three years of eligibility remaining and three years to use them.

His absence leaves KU with just two quarterbacks with college playing experience. Heaps, a junior-to-be, played a season at BYU before sitting out after transferring last year, and Cummings, who will be a sophomore in 2013, started five games — and played in eight — for the Jayhawks last fall.

High school QB commitments Jordan Darling and Montell Cozart will bring added depth to the position when they make their commitments to KU official on national signing day, Feb. 6.

Comments

irvan moore 1 year, 6 months ago

sounds like a really nice kid

Doug Roberts 1 year, 6 months ago

If Michael Cummings is our solid number two quarterback, we may be in big trouble. Again.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, but I don't have an unshakeable faith in Charlie Weis's talent for quarterbacks anymore.

dontbelieveit 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't believe there was as big a gap as weis wants everyone to believe. Remember he played Crist relentlessly and kept telling everyone how wonderful he was. He couldn't hit the side of barn with his passes. But Charlie kept putting him in and then when he was ineffective (which was all the time)he'd sacrifice cummings who couldn't see down the field. it's a mystery why he wouldn't put baty in who had at least been a winner at other programs; high school, state championship and at City College of San Fran; junior college championship. turner was worth the scholarship; he's smart and knows football. Anyway KU has tons of football scholarships to give so this is just one more scholarship that will go unused. Turner knew with Heaps being the new chosen one that he wouldn't get the chance to compete for the qb spot so why not go someplace else where he's appreciated and will get to play. He'll resurface and it won't be back at ku.

flyingfinn 1 year, 6 months ago

Not may but definitely in trouble Cummings stinks as a college passer

Savion Havon 1 year, 6 months ago

I would have to disagree any qb we put out there last year was going to have horrible numbers our wr couldnt catch a cold in a snow storm with ice underwear on. I think Weiss will open up the offense and our team will be fine. Im excited about the spring RCJH

Doug Roberts 1 year, 6 months ago

Matt, you are forever forbidden from mentioning a quiet offseason for KU football ever again...! ;)

Matt Tait 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah... crazy how that worked out, huh? My bad!

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 6 months ago

We are 0 for 2 with "Turners" except I liked this one.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

This was in the cards months ago. My son heard it from his Mom out here quite awhile ago. Perhaps the family waited to make the announcement so that no one would read anything beyond face value into his transfer (in the quiet offseason).

CardHawkFan 1 year, 6 months ago

Matt, is this truly a situation where Baty needs game experience to return and get back into the QB mix or is it more of a seeing the writing on the wall? Maybe a percentage wheel on who the starting QB is following Jake Heaps (Baty, Cummings, Darling, Cozart, unknown candidate...)! Cummings is an athlete. Maybe makes the move to receiver?

Matt Tait 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it's great that Turner wants to come back and, if the stars align, I could see him winding up back here. But I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. That's just so far down the road right now.

Remember, if Heaps becomes the guy, he's still got two years as the potential starter. So, at this point, speculating who the 2015 starter will be seems a little tough to do and irrelevant. Who knows how the young guys will pan out or who else they'll recruit/bring in by then.

As for your other question, I don't think Cummings will change positions.

79ictjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish him well & hope he comes back.

vd 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope he comes back as a walkon, cause he must not be worth a schollie.

gbjayhawk13 1 year, 6 months ago

Hunter Jarmon to Oregon State Reeve Koehler to Arkansas per rivals

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 6 months ago

Sometimes you need to do what's best for you and he wants to play. Sounds like Heaps has the inside track for the QB1 job and Cummings is the solid QB2. We've got two coming in so it is what is. For now, it didn't work out ringing in Baty, but you've got to break some eggs to make an omelette. We've got a pretty good recruiting class coming in so there has been some positive activity this offseason.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

Last years MVP, Tulsa QB Kinne, went to Jets camp, waived, then Omaha in the UFL, league folded, worked in oil field, and joined the Arena Football league.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 6 months ago

Yrah, Oklahoma and K-State are not on CCSF's schedule.

CrystalJones 1 year, 6 months ago

LOL. Wouldn't matter anyway against K-State next year. We will easily win that game even if one of the girl cheerleaders has to quarterback. KSU is headed way down beginning in '13.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

I will take KSU in a rebuilding year over a improved KU team (we hope) in 2013. KU did go 1-11.