Saturday, January 19, 2013

KU quarterback Turner Baty leaving the program

Kansas quarterback Turner Baty looks to the sideline to make a pass during a drill at the Fan Appreciation Day open practice Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at Memorial Stadium.

Kansas University quarterback Turner Baty, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound sophomore who joined the Jayhawks before the 2012 season after transferring from City College of San Francisco, has decided to return to CCSF.

“With Jake Heaps and Michael Cummings both competing for time at the quarterback position, I have decided it would be in my best interest to go back to City College of San Francisco and get some game experience,” said Baty of the school he helped lead to a juco national championship in 2011. “I have not ruled out the idea of returning to Kansas after getting a season of play under my belt. I love it here and I want to thank everyone in the Jayhawk community for their support.”

Despite KU's persistent struggles at quarterback during 2012, Baty never was able to work his way into the mix and spent most of his red-shirt season working with the scout team.

Throughout his one year in town, Baty was very outspoken about his fondness for his new home.

“This decision was really tough because I truly love KU and love Lawrence and, most of all, my teammates,” Baty said.

In the same news release, KU coach Charlie Weis referred to Baty's talk of a possible return in the future.

“We would like to thank Turner for his participation in our program this year,” Weis said. “We wish him well upon his return to junior college. After meeting (Saturday) we agreed that a return to KU is a possibility.”

Baty played just one season at CCSF before transferring to KU and, therefore, has three years of eligibility remaining and three years to use them.

His absence leaves KU with just two quarterbacks with college playing experience. Heaps, a junior-to-be, played a season at BYU before sitting out after transferring last year, and Cummings, who will be a sophomore in 2013, started five games — and played in eight — for the Jayhawks last fall.

High school QB commitments Jordan Darling and Montell Cozart will bring added depth to the position when they make their commitments to KU official on national signing day, Feb. 6.

Comments

CrystalJones 1 year, 3 months ago

LOL. Wouldn't matter anyway against K-State next year. We will easily win that game even if one of the girl cheerleaders has to quarterback. KSU is headed way down beginning in '13.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 3 months ago

Yrah, Oklahoma and K-State are not on CCSF's schedule.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 3 months ago

Sometimes you need to do what's best for you and he wants to play. Sounds like Heaps has the inside track for the QB1 job and Cummings is the solid QB2. We've got two coming in so it is what is. For now, it didn't work out ringing in Baty, but you've got to break some eggs to make an omelette. We've got a pretty good recruiting class coming in so there has been some positive activity this offseason.

gbjayhawk13 1 year, 3 months ago

Hunter Jarmon to Oregon State Reeve Koehler to Arkansas per rivals

Charles Logan 1 year, 3 months ago

I really want to see Cozart Play! I don't think he fits in a pro-style offense though......

Really I don't like KU in a Pro style offense. Go for the endzone, high scoring, option based college games are more fun to watch. I just think Pro style is boring, and should stay in the NFL. Weis is gonna want Cozart to be a pocket passer. That may limit his game, the same way it has for Cummings. Trying to play differently(sitting in the pocket) Rather than what comes natural (Scrambling) can take effectiveness, and confidence away from your QB. I don't know, but that may be what happened to Baty???. Maybe he didn't feel free in the Pro-style. Leaving KU to g backt to Juco is saying something.... I think Cozart in the option would be SWEET!!! Also he will be reunited with Tre' Parmalee (High school teammates) maybe they can be a One Two punch for KU...... I know it's stretch, but I'm hoping.

79ictjhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

I wish him well & hope he comes back.

CardHawkFan 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt, is this truly a situation where Baty needs game experience to return and get back into the QB mix or is it more of a seeing the writing on the wall? Maybe a percentage wheel on who the starting QB is following Jake Heaps (Baty, Cummings, Darling, Cozart, unknown candidate...)! Cummings is an athlete. Maybe makes the move to receiver?

midwest_muser 1 year, 3 months ago

Hopefully his mom still planning to attend Kansas games?

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

We are 0 for 2 with "Turners" except I liked this one.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt, you are forever forbidden from mentioning a quiet offseason for KU football ever again...! ;)

Doug Roberts 1 year, 3 months ago

If Michael Cummings is our solid number two quarterback, we may be in big trouble. Again.

irvan moore 1 year, 3 months ago

sounds like a really nice kid