Originally published January 15, 2013 at 05:09p.m., updated January 16, 2013 at 12:09a.m.

Ben McLemore ‘sore’ after ankle sprain, but may not miss next game

Kansas’ Ben McLemore is escorted off the court by teammates Christian Garrett, left, Niko Roberts and Evan Manning, right, along with trainer Bill Cowgill after the freshman guard went down with an ankle injury late in the second half against Baylor on Monday, Jan. 14, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Ben McLemore woke up feeling “sore” on Tuesday morning because of his sprained right ankle, yet has suffered no structural damage and is listed “day-to-day,” Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self told the Journal-World on Tuesday afternoon.

“He has been in for treatment a couple times. It’s sore, but he’s doing well,” Self said of freshman guard McLemore, who suffered a Grade 1 sprain in Monday’s 61-44 victory over Baylor in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He should be a ‘day-to-day’ guy (regarding practice). It’s tender. I don’t know if he’ll be able to practice (today) or not. Hopefully we’ll have him full speed by this weekend,” Self added, indicating McLemore should be able to play against Texas (1 p.m., Saturday, in Austin) barring any re-injury.

Self, who awarded his Jayhawks (15-1 overall, 3-0 Big 12) a day off Tuesday, graded film before hitting the road recruiting late Tuesday afternoon.

“I thought we guarded them well,” Self said of holding the Bears (11-5, 3-1) to 23.2 percent shooting, including 4-of-14 shooting from three. “I thought offensively we were not real fluid. I think they had a lot to do with that, their length. We looked OK. We didn’t play great, but we didn’t allow them to play well, which was encouraging to me. That’s been something I’ve been harping on a long time.

“You are not always going to play great. You are not always going to make shots (KU hit 37.7 percent of its shots; 3-of-14 from three), but you can make sure the other team doesn’t play great. That was the case last night. We did a good job of guarding them.”

Baylor’s 44 points were the fewest a KU team has allowed in a conference game since holding Nebraska to 39 points on Feb. 17, 2007, in Allen.

“The number of points is a little misleading,” Self said. “They are better than that. They missed free throws (BU hit 14 of 23 for 60.9 percent). It’s great to hold anybody to a real low shooting percentage, win the battle of the boards (45-40) even though it wasn’t dominant. But we did enough good things to have control of the game.

“You know what?” Self added, “if you told them (Bears) they could hold Kansas to 61 (points) at home, they’re thinking they are going to win the game. We’ve got to get better in some areas.”

Self in Hall of Fame: KU coach Self will be inducted in the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame on Aug. 5, Oklahoma Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb announced Tuesday. The ceremony will take place in Oklahoma City’s National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been inducted into anything like that. It’s a great honor,” said Self, who is 284-54 in 10 seasons at KU and 491-159 overall in 20 seasons. “I’m really proud of my state and respect all the people in different sports and different areas that have contributed to the rich sports history of Oklahoma.”

The class of 2013 consists of Self, Wayne Baughman (Oklahoma wrestling), Clay Bennett (OKC Thunder owner), Nadia Comaneci (Olympic gold medal gymnast), LeRoy Gutowski (Oklahoma City University/NFL standout), Jimmy Harris (OU football) and John Henry Ward (Oklahoma State two-sport All-American).

A native of Edmond, Okla., Self was tapped Oklahoma High School Basketball Player of the Year in 1981 while at Edmond Memorial High School. Born in Okmulgee, Okla., Self played at Oklahoma State from 1982-85. While at OSU, he was a four-year letterwinner and was an All-Big Eight freshman selection.

Flagrant foul: KU’s Travis Releford was called for a Flagrant 1 foul for elbowing BU’s Deuce Bello late in the first half. Bello missed a pair of free throws. BU was awarded the ball and failed to score on the ensuing possession.

KU assistant Kurtis Townsend explained the ‘Flagrant 1’ vs. ‘Flagrant 2’ foul rule on Tuesday’s Hawk Talk radio show.

“It happened in a game at Michigan a couple years ago ... a guy came over the top and hit a guy right in the jaw (with elbow) and about knocked him out. In response to that, they made a rule any contact with the elbow above the shoulders, whether deliberate or not, is a flagrant foul,” Townsend said. “They get two shots and the ball back and your guy gets a foul assessed.

“A Flagrant 2 is where you try to hit a guy intentionally. You hit a guy on purpose, you’ll be tossed from the game. Travis’ was unintentional. We were trying to argue he got him with the backside of his arm and not the elbow. We watched it today (on tape). I think the refs made the right call. Travis didn’t try to do it intentionally. We teach guys instead of ripping it (ball) across the top, they have to do it below their waist and be strong with it and it takes away that call,” Townsend added.

T-Rob OK after crash: Former KU forward Thomas Robinson of the Sacramento Kings was not injured in a one-car accident after Monday’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Robinson told cowbellkingdom.com he turned his Porsche Panamera too wide and too late at the intersection of Del Paso Boulevard and Broadgate Drive.

“It’s not that bad. The car’s not totaled,” Robinson told the website. “I messed the bottom part of my bumper up. I probably busted something inside the engine probably, but I’m not sure. I’m breathing right now,” he added. “I don’t care too much about the car.”

Comments

montanahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Good sign. May not need 30 minutes out of him Sat in Austin.

yates33333 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't underestimate Texas. They've lost some really close games includling a one point loss to UCLA, a close game in East Lansing, MI, against MSU, and beat UNC. Their freshman guard is playing better each game. They are a long team and gave Baylor all it wanted in Waco. They are better in Austin and will have a loud, enthusiastic crowd. KU will need its A game.

1 year, 6 months ago

After watching how he went down last night, the pain on his face, and how slow he was to get up, this is great news. Get well soon, Ben.

tical523 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe he had a little Rod Tidwell moment?

Daniel Kennamore 1 year, 6 months ago

All the guys should be taking it easy this week. Starting Saturday five of our next seven games are on the road.

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

Nice to get a day off for the team. Time to recharge the batteries

LAJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Stupidmichael? Did you hack KGPhoto's account?

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

I almost said it, but I couldn't with a clear conscience.

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

If Ben can't play Saturday, at least Andrew White will get some more playing time.

JayhawkBigXII 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree. This could help the bench in the long run. Can I get a "Hrumph"?

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 6 months ago

I must applaud the Blazing Saddles reference! ;) Bravo!

And.... "Harumph!"

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

As bad as UT has been this season, I would have Ben in uniform, but not play him unless it was absolutely necessary just to give him some extra rest and healing time from his injury. Sprained ankles never fully heal and the extra rest will let McLemore get back more of his explosiveness. Just my $.02, but Bill Self is a coach and I'm not so I'll defer the smarter choice to Self and the training staff.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

Agreed. I would even rather lose a game if it guaranteed a full recovery for Ben then use him too soon and prevent a full recovery. Remember how we brought back Josh Selby before he was 100% recovered from his foot injury and he couldn't make baskets the rest of the season?

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

My only concern is how it will affect his explosiveness. As texashawk pointed out (and as anyone who's ever played sports knows) ankle sprains never fully, completely heal. I don't see it being a big deal with the training staff he's got access to, but rushing him back onto the court doesn't seem necessary at this point.

Joe Satterwhite 1 year, 6 months ago

Whether he plays or not Saturday at least AW3 will play more

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 6 months ago

Good news.

And shout out to the poster who called it exactly as it was, markoo I believe. Good job son!

FarSideHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't trust Bill Self on injury comments. He reminds of "It's just a flesh-wound' guy from Monty Python. :)

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I flashed back to Rel's injury who actually rolled his ankle in that pre-season game a year or so ago. It took him the entire season to get his ankle back.

bad_dog 1 year, 6 months ago

As I recall, Rel actually dislocated his ankle. If so, that's a more significant injury than a Grade 1 sprain. I thought that injury occurred at Michigan during the season. Perhaps I'm getting confused...

Scott Smetana 1 year, 6 months ago

This injury could nag him occasionally over the next 2 years. Probably a good idea to have it rehabbed while at KU.

FLAjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Best news in a while, does anyone know if we're seriously in the Randle or Wiggins recruitment hunt?

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

I think we have a decent chance at Randle, but Wiggins is going to UK or FSU.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Dave Telep at ESPN thinks we'll get Randle .. but he's the only one.

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

He is the only one (at ESPN) that matters.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Agreed. Of all of their guys he's the one I'd call the BBall recruiting "expert" there.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 6 months ago

I like it. Tharpe has been playing so well. EJ at the 2 sounds nice.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know why Wiggins even teased with KU. I think he knew then that he was down to uk and fsu. Then folks started speculating that because his bro was at WSU, that he might want to be closer.

I hate recruiting and all the drama. I'd rather a kid just take shorter time and then commit, but not drag out all the drama. I like the kids who get to the point and make a decision, ie. Selden was a good example of how a recruit should commit. It's not because he went to KU either. He explained that he was ready at a point and decided. He didn't want to waste his time or the coaches time.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Sit Ben Saturday. Start Tharpe. Play White in the rotation. Have Ben ready to go for Tuesday at KSU. Easy.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Good plan, but would Self really let someone sit with an ankle sprain?

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I remember the Selby saga and his finger (?) injury, which was weird because Self wanted to play Selby but it appeared Selby sandbagged a bit. Or maybe it was other way around, not sure.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 6 months ago

I think he'll sit. I know we'd all concur-you don't get a player like Ben very often. At least not one this young to play at his level. I think he will be at minimum top 3 in the draft, maybe even 1 if he carries us on another deep run in March. The further the team goes, the higher Ben goes. I mean these scouts have seen him flat a$$ take over a game, defend like he enjoys it, and injuries aside, he's right up there at the top of the list in all of CBB-as a freshman for crying out loud. If ben wants to sit, he sits. Bill & everyone else knows that he's the Golden Child. Should he want to sit more than a game, or 2 mxa, then Bill becomes Bill again. We've enough firepower for Bevo Barnes, bring in the colts & be patient with the prodigy.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

If he plays Saturday he'll be so heavily taped that there will be little risk of further damage. The more important question is whether he will be mobile enough to be effective.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

jhox .. not to be too contrary here, but with a sprained ankle, I think there's a high risk of rolling it again. It's weak, ligaments sretched (partially torn), and you're in a position where it can easily do it again. Why risk that? But then again, I don't know the true severity of his injury. So I'm speculating.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Fraid you're right HEM. They are tender. Those tendons are liked sagging rubberbands that need time to regain their elasticity. I don't think they're bad, but hence the soreness.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Was there ever any doubt in anyone's mind that Ben would "play through"?

Recall the following cases.

This year Elijah has been playing on quilted knees that initially prevented a former 5-star jumping jack from touching paint, or getting to the rim, and even now on quilted knees that don't seem to permit diagnonal movements.

Last year Elijah played half a season on a knee that needed surgery!

Last year Tyshawn had his knee scoped and was back playing in ten days!

Travis apparently played the last half of last year with a boot!

Thomas Robinson played most of last year with what appeared to be hyper extensions of both elbows and with at least one knee, and sometimes both knees strapped.

Josh Selby played the season before with a boot.

Tyrel Reed played half of that same season on a foot that needed surgery.

Sherron Collins played through so many injuries that by the end he appeared to lose half his explosiveness.

Two years before that Mario Little played on effectively one leg that had to have surgery after the season.

Brandon Rush came back from massive knee surgery to play through knee rehab within six months, or so.

Sasha Kaun played two seasons on knees so bad he could barely clear the floor.

And these are just what I can recall off the top of my head!

It is never a question of whether they will play through.

The only issue is how soon will they start playing through.

This is apparently what you sign on for at KU under Bill Self.

One thing that I have always been curious about: did Bill Self play through any injuries like these mentioned above? What I recall reading somewhere is that Self tore up his knee at the very end of his senior season and that ended his playing career. It didn't sound like he played through that knee injury. Did he "play through" other injuries of the kind mentioned above? Maybe one of the pro journalists could ask him.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't forget that much of what allows playing nicked up is the far better conditioning of these athletes compared to the Golden Age of basketball.

Add to this our thoroughly modern understanding of physical therapy and rehab that we nearly have bionic men.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Ben McLemore will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

Agreed! Danny Manning's knee injuries would have been career ending only a few years before.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

or he just had inherited a team of sissy boys.

kckuguy 1 year, 6 months ago

FYI Bill Self had the reputation of the toughest guy on the court when he played. I remember a Saturday game he played against KU, by the end of the game his jersey was soaked in blood, his face was bloody, he literally looked like he had been in a good boxing match. Every loose ball was his. All everyone talked about when speaking of Self was how tough he was. For some reason when he went in to coaching he has down played his playing years and the media has obliged him. No one ever doubted his toughness, until 27 years later when a know it all poster on KUsports questioned him that isn't even old enough to remember.

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

You have a better memory than I, but I remember reading similar comments. I was at one game where he played and we lost late in 1983 season.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

Bill Self as a player was a larger version of Jarod Hasse. He had a temper and a sense of humor on the court. It was the Big 8 before Microsoft. You saw these faces and their skills and got to know each team back then. He wasn't a dirty player but people got hurt that were assigned to guard him. Congrats Coach. KU is in good hands. Oklahoma is correct in awarding you this honor.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

JayBate is plenty old enough. He just likes to throw his conspiracy theories around. Many have some merit. This one seems flawed.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

kckguy,

Part 1

I asked a straight question inspired by a series of events about which there is no dispute. I wanted a straight answer. Did Self play through the kind of injuries he asks players to play through, or not?

Nothing else.

Your response about his being a blood spattered player doesn't answer my question. Playing through a bloody nose doesn't mean much. People get bloody noses sitting at a desk and keep shuffling paper.

But if you say Bill Self was a tough player that played through injuries of the kind his players have played through, then that's a recollection to add to the balance that he did play through injuries, even though you don't mention an injury on the scale of playing with a foot in a boot for a stress fracture/reaction, a concussion, two bad knees needing operations, etc.

FWIW, Self's game at OSU is a black box to me, because I was on the West Coast then and games were televised far less and OSU under Hansen was not a marquis team in those days.

Next.

Bayhawkaholic,

To be accurate: I never "...throw conspiracy theories around."

I pose (and explicitly so) hypotheses for discussion to see if observable facts support or refute hypothetical explanations.

Conspiracy Theory, on the other hand, refers to a proven conspiracy, usually of an illegal kind.

If an illegal conspiracy were already proven, there would be no point to my hypothesizing about it, right?

I suspect you understand I am meticulous about never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER positing conspiracy theories.

I hypothesize possible explanations and look for/ask for supporting (or refuting) facts, when the conventionally accepted hypothesis turns out to be refuted by an accumulations of facts (e.g., like the conventional and IMHO factually refuted hypothesis of football TV revenues explaining all conference realignment).

Frankly, even using the term conspiracy theory is for suckers IMHO, since illegal conspiracies are so tough to prove historically.

I am frankly suspicious of any conspiracy theory about illegal action, including officially sanctioned conspiracy theory. Time and again the government issues officially sanctioned conspiracy theory explanations that are at first claimed unequivocally to be truthful, only then to be refuted.

And suspicion about the use of the term "conspiracy theory" seems especially fittings, when someone is saying someone "...throws conspiracy theories around."

That would be you in this case, though I know you mean me no harm. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Part 2

I am the horse's mouth on what I write and I am saying unequivocally: I have only posited hypotheses, never theories, and mostly these hypotheses have had nothing to do with a conspiracy to commit an illegal act. Further, most of my hypotheses have never posited any conspiracy at all.

Sometimes I think there is a pervasive misunderstanding of both the word conspiracy and the word theory, and the misunderstandings of those words lead to compounding conflation of thinking when they are combined into the term "conspiracy theory."

It is my inference at this point that aliases that use the term conspiracy theory to describe explicitly hypothetical explanations by other aliases, often either don't know what a conspiracy theory is, or they are using the term "conspiracy theory" as a smear. :-)

The misuse and abuse of with the term conspiracy is so ubiquitous these days that I coined the term "conspiracy theory smearist."

Its an incredibly handy term these days, as I said, since so many persons online smear with the term "conspiracy theory."

Notice how folks don't smear with the term "hypothesist," or even "conspiracy hypothesist"?

It just doesn't smear someone, does it?

But of course you understand this and so I am preaching to the choir. :-)

Of course, in point of fact, there are relatively few "proven" conspiracy theories of illegality, i.e., proven conspiracies, and so it follows that there are very few proven conspiracy theorists.

Interestingly, and perhaps not coincidentally, it is increasingly reputed that many conspiracy theories suggesting illegality and the conspiracy theorists that advocate them as being true are actually cases of disinformation spread by spooks to poison the well of information on a particular subject, or other.

I wouldn't know about the truth of that. I can only say that histories of war propaganda covering the last century, or so, plus some of the main stream media stories about propaganda, psy-ops and information warfare lend some credible support to the hypothesis. :-)

But this much I can say based on first had experience.: there appear to be a whale of a lot of conspiracy theory smearists.

:-)

HawksWin 1 year, 6 months ago

Why would Self take such risk playing Ben at this point in the conference? Let's say Ben plays 3/4 of his normal game on Sat, and his injury ends up being more severe which means he won't be as effective in March. And Self won't have Ben next year. Yes another awesome class is coming in, but today we have 4 seniors who went to the FF. Why risk throwing away a great opportunity for another NC?

Self style wins games & we love winning. That said we shouldn't ignore life's natural process. A tired body is more prone to injuries. Most teens/young men require a lot of sleep for their growing & maturing bodies. Body heals & repairs while we sleep. Wonder how much more resting athletes need. Any of you (or your sons) slept until noon on weekends when you were 18? Perhaps science found a way to replace their sleeping & resting. We lose our health to make money and then lose our money to restore our health. It's a vicious circle of life and survival! RCJHKU!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

jhwksrock,

I don't have a clue about what is the proper therapy for Ben's ankle yet. I am not a medical professional and have not read what the medical professionals think.

And unless you are a medical professional, I doubt you do either.

It follows then that you have a hunch, apparently based on your ankle sprains. Good for you. But unless you wish to claim you are a medical professional, then I just can't take your judgements as very empirically reliable...if you know what I mean. :-)

My list of players above is a simple mastering of the obvious; i.e., listing what is reported, or seen with these players. I could be wrong about what I have observed, or misunderstand the cause and effect linkages in ways I do not yet understand. I never wish to imply facts or certainty when speculation is all that I can hope to partake in.

Still, you appear to be wading pretty deeply into speculation beyond your field of expertise, too. I don't object to you doing this, as I am sure you do not object to me calling attention the problems inherent in you doing so.

But for fun, and perhaps for deeper analytical insight, let us assume hypothetically for a moment that you were a medical professional.

Here's the thing that at the very least calls your logic, even as a hypothetical medical professional, into significant question.

ALL OF THE KU PLAYERS I LISTED ABOVE WERE APPARENTLY SEEN, DIAGNOSED, TREATED BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, AND OKAYED TO PLAY WITH THEIR INJURIES, YET THEIR POST INJURY LEVELS OF PERFORMANCE IN SEVERAL OF THESE CASES EVIDENCED AT LEAST ANECDOTAL DECLINE IN MY NON-PROFESSIONAL OPINION, AND I WOULD SAY I AM NOT ALONE IN NOTICING THIS APPARENT DETERIORATION . :-)

I suppose it could be argued that a hypothetical medical professional might make the following case: look, I approved theses players to play, because the injuries were of a kind that their knee/ankle/etc. were never going to recover to pre injury standards, and playing through the injury wasn't going to worsen the already nil probability of a full recovery.

I suppose that could be possible.

But probable? Hmmmm, I just don't know.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

I am neither a medical, nor a legal professional, so I can at most, like you, hazard a guess as to other possible circumstances.

These alternative circumstances might be:

1) in these cases, even medical professionals cannot reliably distinguish which injuries can be "played through" without long term deleterious effect; or

2) in these cases, medical professionals do not take into consideration long term deleterious effect of "playing through" such injuries.

What might all of this mean for Ben and his sprain?

It might mean that medical professionals are probably not going to say he cannot play, and players given the green light tend to tape it up and play through and coaches tend to expect them to, when a green light is given. And, in turn, Ben could possibly find himself joining the list of players I noted above.

Some don't seem to suffer long term deterioration, but some do.

I really don't think I'm going out on a limb here. Do you?

I am just not sure why someone should be green lighted to take the risk of possible, unnecessary long term deterioration, when the chance of full (or simply greater) recovery is there, too. Do you?

HawksWin 1 year, 6 months ago

+1000! Couldn't have it said better myself, Jaybate.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I would say that the OTHER coach in Div. I MOST like Self is probably Izzo.

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

Having spent a good amount of time in the KU training room, you'd be amazed at the things they can do for a sprained ankle. He's probably in a boot, using Game Ready (an ice compression machine. awesomely painful), and doing some exercises with it. He'll be good to go in no time.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

thanks for the insider information! It's always good to hear from somebody with direct knowledge of the topic of discussion.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

HawkOverseas,

My intial point was who doubted that Ben would play, given the long list of drastically more severe injuries played on? I know I didn't/don't. :-)

My secondary point was why do players play through injuries, when playing through injuries often appears to trigger less than full recoveries?

So: my question for you is: why do players and coaches and medical professionals come down on taking any risk at all of the player not achieving complete recovery by playing through the injury?

Hell, basketball players have "taped it up and played" and taken the risk of less than full recovery, since ankle wraps and tapes and knee wraps were invented, and I know that goes back at least to the 1930s when my dad played.

But just because players have done this for ever does not mean it makes sense, or that it should be continued.

If anything, these guys are risking way more future earnings both in the NBA and overseas, by taking the risk of playing through injuries and triggering only partial recovery.

It seems an issue that needs a lot more discussion and thought than it is receiving.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

You mean to tell me Dean Naismith has been replaced by Game Ready?

nostradavid 1 year, 6 months ago

Ben won't want to sit. He'll play a few less minutes Saturday, but he will have fun.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 6 months ago

tape or no tape a sprained ankle is much weaker than a good ankle. The likelyhood of respraining it is very high when you play with the intensity that these guys play with.

I played through a couple sprains in high school. I have never liked to take too much time off after a sprain because I felt like it would heal faster if I worked out on it, but it's dangerous to go out on the freshly sprained ankle and play live basketball at a high level.

Like many other posters I am concerned that this will affect his explosiveness for the rest of the season. Luckily it's his right ankle, and not his left for planting/jumping reasons, but it could very easily limit his lateral quickness, especially on the defensive end.

I know that this injury is not as serious, but Travis Releford sprained his ankle 2 years ago, and not until this season did he finally seem to have the springs back.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I tihnk Rel actually rolled his ankle much more than BMac. I remember seeing that with Rel and thought 'crap' he's going to be out. Self tried to play it a bit, but then didn't see Rel much after that on the court.

jgkojak 1 year, 6 months ago

My one complaint with Bill Self is he does not sub out at the end of games soon enough.

I'd have taken the guys out at the 3:30 mark - not played the scrubs, but given the Tharpe-White-Ellis-Traylor-Adams group a chance to gel/get some minutes.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm very happy with Self's substitution pattern. Against a good team, it's all about time and possessions. At the 3:30 mark, that is a 7 possession game still, i.e. 21 points. Against a worthy opponent, anything can happen. I prefer a 7 possesion lead with 2 minutes.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

We posted about this yesterday..call it the "Smear It In Scott Drew's Face Syndrome". No love lost between these two.... well, our coach and their guy who stands and yells at his players all game.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm okay with Bill Self doing whatever he needs to do to get the "W".

oldalum 1 year, 6 months ago

I think it depends on what the other team does. If their starters are still in and they haven't "waved the white flag" , Self doesn't let up either. Maybe depending a little bit on who we are playing. I doubt if Scott Drew would ever expect mercy.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

BMac should sit this game out even if it means an "L" for KU, but I have a feeling he won't. Any competitor as fierce as he always wants to play through it. If he feels okay and the doctors clear him, he'll play.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree with this too. Make it a challenge to the rest of the team and message to Ben that we need you close to 100% for the game at Kansas State days later, which you should be that much better for, without playing.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

BMac is a competitor and this is why he slapped the floor. He was thinking the worse because of playing time. If he even has a fair chance to play, he'll play. It will be his choice.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree with HEM..after Saturday, there are 14 more conference games. 3 Big Twelve tourney games and potentially 6 more NCAA Playoff Games for a total of 23 games.

I don't care how his ankle feels...I would leave all his uniforms in Lawrence and put him in street clothes. See how the team responds to adversity, get AWIII some much needed PT, still face a team that you should beat even in their home court and give BenMac 8 FULL days to recover.

Think of it this way...what if he would get two fouls and have to sit out the first half and then get into more foul trouble and miss a bunch of the second half. How would the Hawks respond?? Probably a necessary scenario for the coaching staff should face as well.

I see it as a short term prevention for a long term gain...if we lose, we lose.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Good idea Oak. Not a bad gamble. I really don't think UT is much of a threat. Any team we play is a threat, but UT is not the threat of yesterday.

duanep5ku 1 year, 6 months ago

I Echo the sentiment of Oakville and Helm on this subject. I would prefer to see, Ben wearing a suit on Saturday. I think we have a good shot at beating Texas without Ben playing and even a loss would not be a big deal,right now. I think this would be the perfect game to try to get AWIII some minutes.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

The road lead to Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano? Was the recruit one Julius Randle? I sure hope so and it's a good sign.

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Would anyone agree this to be a odd time to hit the road for recruiting? It's almost as if there was a special mtg with a recruit. Randle seems to be the biggest prospect for KU too. I hope it was Self finalizing his pitch with Randle and Randle clarifying things with Self before he commits. I hope Randle is calling 'UKloser and saying you're full up and no place for me.' I hope he calls Billy D and expresses, 'I don't get involved with coaches that I really like, why can't we be friends and competitors?' A man can speculate.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

I would like to order one large Crimson and Blue Julius. please, to go!! Please make it thick and rich, heavy on the icy cool!! Maybe a little hotdog on the side with a bunch of relish but just a tad of mustard!!!!!

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

one of my favorite calls was Chick Hearn saying, "the mustard came off the hotdog."

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

I posted that too, but a few hours after you...good find

1951jayhawks 1 year, 6 months ago

I think we can beat Texas without him but I do think we should suit him up just in case. Does anyone know if we are going to Medially Redshirt Wesley? He isn't going to get into the the rotation this year but he might help us next year.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

He's only a redshirt junior so he will be here next year, anyway. Whether he helps or not is a whole different question!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

I can answer your question .. no. Medical redshirt possibilities are for a player that misses 80% of games because of injury. Since he's already redshirted one season, he'd need the medical exemption for a 6th season. Broken finger isn't going to get you there.

As for helping us next season, uh, I'll rely on my standard answer. If he's playing any regular minutes, that's not a good thing for KU basketball. Great attitude, good guy .. just not high D-1 talent.

ku_foaf 1 year, 6 months ago

Looking forward to seeing them Saturday in Austin. I'd love to see Ben play, but it is more important that he heal.

RJ King 1 year, 6 months ago

T-Robb is what, 22? I'm guessing he never owned a car before and rarely drove in high school and college. (After all, he was a KANSAS signed recruit, not Kentucky, Connecticut, etc.) Slow down big guy - we love you!

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 6 months ago

think TRod would be in the market to sell that car? I'm buying if he's selling!

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I would love to see AW3 go off in Austin, Chalmers style. He needs an official coming out party with a huge game of threes.