Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Self downplays run-in with ‘animated’ Iowa State fan

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

A middle-aged man in glasses wearing a gold Iowa State shirt yelled insults in the face of Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks’ 108-96 overtime win over the Cyclones late Monday night in Hilton Coliseum.

photo

“I don’t think I got rushed. That dude didn’t really come at me. I really think I could have taken him without any problem,” Self joked on Tuesday’s Hawk Talk radio show.

A police officer grabbed the man and escorted him away from KU’s coach.

“It was not a serious deal at all like people made it out to be. Maybe his body language made it look differently,” Self added of a person he heard was “a big booster of the Cyclones.”

“I didn’t feel in the least bit like anything would come of that. It was a fan voicing himself in a way he was a little animated. The words weren’t bad.”

Self did say it was a bit alarming fans were so close to the players after a hotly contested game. Several ISU students pelted the Jayhawk players with debris as they headed to the locker room.

“They could probably make some corrections to make sure they (fans) don’t have access to players after a game like that,” Self said. “I know when we’ve been at Missouri in heated times, there’s security escorting the players out. After the handshake line it probably could be tightened up a bit.”

Des Moines TV station WOI-DT reported Tuesday that Iowa State police confirmed they were investigating two Twitter death threats to Elijah Johnson, who dunked at the end of the game rather than running out the clock.

Screenshots taken by other Twitter users on Monday night showed one person suggesting attacking the KU bus with “30 bullets” and another making racist comments directed at Johnson. Both Twitter accounts had been deactivated by Tuesday evening.

“I guess there were some things said, some threats made. That is sad,” Self told the Journal-World. “That person should be investigated and looked at. You can’t take things like that for granted. The person making those statements ... that situation needs to be looked into.”

Self said he had received a nice e-mail from an Iowa State student.

“The student said he hated how fans coming on the court throwing things totally took away from what was a good night,” Self said. “I responded. I said, ‘Hey it was a good night. Even if the outcome was different, I’d say it was a great atmosphere and fun game to be part of.’ I was never nervous about it. There were some things being thrown. It’s just frustration. I will say this about Iowa State fans: I like them. They are good. They are loyal and enthusiastic.”

League weighs in on no-call: The Big 12 Conference released the following statement Tuesday:

“The Big 12 Conference acknowledges that officiating errors were made at the end of regulation during last night’s Kansas at Iowa State men’s basketball game. The plays have been reviewed and appropriate measures will be aken by the Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officials to adjust the number of future assignments for the two officials involved in conjunction with Conference policies.”

With six seconds left and KU trailing, 90-88, KU’s Johnson drove to the lane and made contact with Iowa State forward Georges Niang. No foul was called on the play, and Niang was later whistled for a loose-ball foul against Johnson, who hit two free throws with 4.9 seconds remaining to send the game to overtime. Also, with 23 seconds left, it appeared Jeff Withey committed his fifth foul, but the foul was assessed to Kevin Young.

“I would say, ‘Hey we were fortunate we got a no-call there,’” Self said. “It could have easily been a charge. (But) how many times at the end of games do you have no-calls in those situations?

“We were fortunate. I will not say we weren’t. It could have easily been called and if it was I couldn’t have complained. On the flip side, there are a lot of calls in a game that you could say, ‘Maybe that could go the other way.’ It was a hard game to call. It’s gotten a lot of national attention. I guess the league office felt they had to make some sort of statement.”

On his radio show, Self said league-office statements about officiating could get out of hand.

“If we are going to get in the business of publicly making statements off of every bad call, let’s go back to the opening tip,” Self said, “because there are a lot of times the third foul on a big guy in the first half is the difference between winning and losing or second foul with 15 minutes left if it’s a bad call can be difference between winning and losing. It was a good crew (Mark Whitehead, Tom O’Neill, Bert Smith). I don’t think our bench was ecstatic on the way the game was being called either. I don’t think their bench was. It was a hard game. There were good players making plays.”

This, that: Self was presented a ball in the locker room by his players and KU administration signifying his 500th coaching victory. ... KU’s bus pulled into the Allen Fieldhouse parking lot at 4:50 a.m., Tuesday. “It was tough sledding,” Self said. “The last hour and a half really slowed down because of snow, ice. We made it back safe and sound and slept better the few hours we got because of unbelievable performance by our guys.”

Naismith list: KU’s Ben McLemore and Jeff Withey are two of 30 candidates for the Naismith College Player of the Year Award, the Atlanta Tipoff Club announced Tuesday. Other Big 12 players on the list: Rodney McGruder, Kansas State; Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State.

Comments

Krohnutz 1 year, 1 month ago

So has ESPN discussed that Fran has a dog in this race?

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

rockwall 1 year, 1 month ago

In the past, KU has security with the coach. Fernando, I think was the gentleman's name that would escort the coachs (football and basketball) in and out of arena or the field. Were is that presence? I'm guessing Mel might not have had that sudden burst of courage if a security presence was in tow.

I have always wondered why KU has not had Kansas Highway Patrolman with the coach's at road games. You always see them in the South. If places like Iowa State can't control their crowd, an armed presense is needed for these situations. I'm also surprised that travel to and from the games is not protected by the Kansas Highway Patrol.

BTW: The wife looks scared to death, guessing this is normal behavior for Little Mel in public and at home.

WisconsinJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Only the one particular call out of dozens counts. You'd think from the press it was getting that play gave us the win in regulation, and that 2 points were awarded to us instead of having to shoot free throws, instead of ISU having the last possession in regulation and five minutes of overtime to overcome that one call.

Repeat: only ONE call in the game counts. It's the call that occurred 5 minutes and five seconds before the game ended.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

If you took a drink every time there was a bad call in that game, there would be a lot of drunk people!

BPSkelly 1 year, 1 month ago

A few thoughts I had about the topics de jour here...

1) the "dunk" EJ had at the end of the game in my mind, at the time and now, struck me more as EJ having a sense of "FINALLY" and a sense of relief than anything else. Im quite sure ISU fans dont see it that, and quite frankly thats understandable. Im sure he also realized he had the game of his life and putting a cherry on top seemed appropriate. Im not gonna get to upset about it, and if ISU fans are losing sleep over it then its on them.

2) I dont have angst about the Big 12's public questioning of the officials that a lot of folks do here. Why? Because like most things in the internet/board posting/twitter/24 hour news cycle era its simply blather. It's all part of the driving of news. And weather the Big 12 wants to believe it or not, they're a big part of that. Nothing will happen to these refs at all, other than maybe a notch or two dings in their normal rotation. It's the ever present concept -- "someone in charge has to do SOMETHING" -- even though that something is merely a press release that will be forgotten by all come Saturday's games.

3) My guess is those two ISU guys who's twitter accounts were shut off will be in hiding for awhile. It's not hard to find personal information on people nowadays. These guys will be off the internet for awhile. Im quite sure what shame they feel and scorn they'll have put upon them -- likely by folks they know as well -- will do wonders. But odds are, it wont change them unless they're unemployed because of it.

AsadZ 1 year, 1 month ago

I was unable to watch the game. I watched the recording but too bad my DVR was set for 2.5 hrs so it stopped recording at 2.5 min mark in OT. I am still in disbelief what I saw, amazing shots made by EJ. He looked liked a completely different player than what I had been seeing up until now in the season. He was so quick on both ends of the floor. He just looked very comfortable out there. I also noticed that some of his best moves came when he was playing at the 2 position. Perhps HCBS should implement this strategy more going forward. I am still in total awe though.

With that said I am disappointed in Ben M. I mean he was a non-factor. He disappeared in the game. He only took 6 shots. Come on Man. He should be full of confidence but it appears that he is still not comfortable playing on the road. I hope this does not drop his stock value. There were a lot of scouts in the arena and I was hoping he would play well. He needs to be in attack mode all the time.

I caught EJ's dunk highlight on ESPN and while I did not see it live I am totally OK with it. He was not trying to run up the score. He was simply putting a dominating finishing touch to an emotionally charged come from behing victory while playing his last game at Hilton C.

Great Job EJ. You did not have to apologize to anyone.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm really having to restrain myself from bringing up things related to concealed carry and this lunatic fan. I know, I know, too political.

jjinks 1 year, 1 month ago

I would hope this never happens in AFH but then I never thought it would happen at ISU either. I've always thought of ISU as being a class act and I hope they are from now on. But it does show that there is passion for a sport we love and that is good.

jjinks 1 year, 1 month ago

I would hope this never happens in AFH but then I never thought it would happen at ISU either. I've always thought of ISU as being a class act and I hope they are from now on. But it does show that there is passion for a sport I love and that is good.

WisconsinJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

The refs had just let the Lucious arm-grab go ("refs shouldn't decide the game!") so they couldn't really call the proabably-a-foul on Johnson a half second later. The no call on Johnson was a continuation of the no-call sequence. The final call was probably a "well, it WAS a foul on Niang and we probably should have just called the arm-grad on Lucious in the first place" call.

I went to the KU-ISU game in Ames 2 years ago when the Morrii were playing and found ISU fans to be pretty nice at that time. I don't know what happened to them.

There are idiots in every fanbase so I don't blame ISU fans for some idiot making threats or making racial slurs... but add to that the pelting of KU players with trash, and an angry rich middle-aged dude charging the KU coach, and, well, you have to admit it was not just "one" incident and thus probably does reflect something about the fans.

GortHawker 1 year, 1 month ago

I thought the no call was the rite call, I mean does the rule say there has to be a call one way or the other every time? Holding was the rite call, Coach Self is big enough to take care of himself, I'd go back to back with him any time in any bar.

WisconsinJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I enjoyed the ISU fan on cyclonefanatic who said they'd be OK with the immediate break-up of the Big 12 if it left KU out of a major conference and in the trash heap of irrelevancy along with them. HE referenced us joining them in obscurity!

Love that about KSU fans, Mizzou fans, and now ISU fans... they'd be okay with being sht themselves as long as they could make KU turn into sht. Their biggest success is our failure.

A lot of ISU fans now saying they hate KU and all their classless fans, that we are their most-hated team evar. We had the audacity not to agree with them in things we posted on ESPN!

Well, suck it ISU-- we'll be glad to have you as our rivals, since our real rival left the conference and our other pretend rival KSU is so pathetic that it is hard to get excited about even playing them any more. ISU is usually not too bad in basketball, and certainly a worthy opponent hen playing in Ames. I for one am glad you'll be mad and throwing a hissy fit next time you see us.

I hope your dreams come true and you DO see us again this year. A third defeat for you would be even better, and might shut you the hell up. Calls, good and bad, are part of the game. It's called basketball. Learn about it. It's really a neat way to keep fit in the winter.

Jake Waddle 1 year, 1 month ago

Consider yourselves lucky you don't have to live in Iowa... i'm just glad the rest of the nation is finding out why i've hated isu since i was old enough to make my own decisions. They have always been the first to call/text when/IF KU loses in the tourney, the first to become the biggest uni fans in history, and the first to not care when their team sucks. These last two days have been very enjoyable. Their complaints about KU being the most classless team ever quickly turned to putting full blame of an entire game on one call (once I started referencing these stories). Its calmed a bit today, and they are almost back to the full realization that their team is the 4th best team in an average conference and they'll more than likely lose in the 2nd round of the ncaa tourney. I hope KU gets the chance to beat them again in the Big XII Tournament!!

rockchalkchampionship 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't know if you guys have seen this yet but it looks pretty clear to me who the foul should have been on. by rockchalkchampionship

KRIMSONANDBLU 1 year, 1 month ago

WisconsinJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I hate that national media types watch an 4-scond clip on one part of one play (maybe 2 if they watched and included the Withey foul given to Young) and think they know enough to say who did or did not get hosed by refs in that game. You think Kornheiser and Wilbon watched the entire game? Hell no! But they spout off just the same. It's lazy, and it's lame.

We all probably remember the charge call against Elijah in the Kentucky game, FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! A bad call and we paid a heavy price, but most of the KU fan reaction was "yes, that was a bad call and we might have won it if not for that, but we should have never been in the position that one bad call can end our chances to win." We have too much pride as a program to blame anyone other than ourselves for losing a game, even one with bad calls. Excuses are for losers.

Cyclone fans have all the MORE reason to have taken that tone considering WE had some bad calls against us too, AND they STILL had the last shot in regulation and a full overtime in which to play better than KU, and win.

Like Memphis in 2008, I could SEE by looking at the body language and facial expressions of the ISU players (shaking their heads, blank looks) after the end of regulation that they lost heart. I KNEW we were going to win. I could see it in the faces of the opponent. THAT is not the kind of strength of character that winners have.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey you wrasslin' fans, name your favorite wrestler and the hold that made them famous!! For me, it's Cowboy Bob Ellis and the Texas Bulldog Headlock!!!

Kevin Crook 1 year, 1 month ago

Elijah ran him over, and the kid flopped, and the kid's feet were not set. That block/charge play is ridiculous. That call would normally have gone against Elijah, and it would have been a bad call then too. No one who is ranting about that call cares about the ISU guard pulling Elijah's arm across his body...there are rarely calls made in the paint at the end of games. If a kid flies into the paint, like Elijah did, he will almost never get the benefit of a call even if he gets nearly decapitated. Elijah got bailed out a little, but yes there were a multitude of bad calls, that was just one of the last ones in regulation so it stands out more. The problem is that college basketball has become too rough and too physical and sloppy. The NBA is actually cleaner now, contact-wise.

KGphoto 1 year, 1 month ago

Melvin Weatherwax?

I'm sorry, but you can't be tough with that name. It's impossible. You can be a dorky character in a kids book. You can be a nasally, uptight dweeb. You could even be a quirky weatherMAN, but you cannot be a tough guy.

Between the name and that McDonald's uniform he's so fond of, http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics15/640/CZ/CZQZMDKIVKYNSGH.20071213162446.jpg I'd be surprised if he could get two feet out the front door before getting his butt kicked.

Bill Self by arm-bar submission 35 seconds into round one.

okiedave 1 year, 1 month ago

The Iowa boosters wife is standing there helpless while her husband is making a fool of himself. You can image in the constant conversation on the way home..;. "you embarrassed me -- why do you always do stupid things like that...."

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

I want to share something posted on The Phog from a UNC fan:

"I want to preface what I'm about to post by saying that I strongly dislike KU. The 2008 FF still stings and the venom all of their fans STILL spew at Roy has made me lose all respect (for which I previously had a lot of) for their program.

Having said that, I'd like to address the Johnson dunk at the end of overtime....LOVED it!!

The Kansas's, Carolina's, & Kentucky's get every "Iowa State's" best shot no matter how lost their season may or may not be. Programs who usually can't fill their arenas if they were giving away tickets, get all amped up and pull crap out of their &%@ (case in point, ISU hitting 17 3's tonight) just so they can turn around three days later and put on a complete shnoozer against the next Directional Michigan they play. I know it comes with the territory but it gets old and it's annoying.

So when Elijah Johnson throws down the tomahawk with 2 seconds left and the game in hand, everyone get their panties in a wad, puts the kid on blast, and says 'why rub it in?'. Well you know what Iowa St. would've done had they won?? They would've rubbed it in just the same by rushing the court. ESPN, local news channels, and every other media outlet would've replayed this 1000 different times by tomorrow afternoon. Hell, Iowa St would've hung pictures all over campus and around town, show replays of the court storming for 20 years, etc. At least EJ's dunk will only be trending on twitter for about 30 mins and we might have to put up with Screamin A. Smith and Skip Bayless discuss it for a segment or two. Big deal.

So I have no problem when the blue bloods of college bball going into an opponents gym and remind everyone just who they are with an authoritative ending. "Oh you wanted to storm the court, did you?? Suck on this..." BOOM!!

If we are fortunate enough to play a game of this intensity and be on the winning end against Clemson on Thursday night, I hope PJ does the exact same thing if the opportunity presents itself. Even though I know it will cost him a few extra sprints on Friday."

I think this is a fantastic point, and it is becoming more and more validated.

JayHok 1 year, 1 month ago

How would Iowa State's fans handled it if EJ did a back flip? I thought overall KU's fans handled OSU's backflip pretty well. Disrespectful we all said maybe but mostly it was a freshman who was excited. Overall I still don't have problems with any of the other teams in the Big 12 now that MU is gone. I know some really want to beat us but that comes with the territory. I saw a fan on a different website yesterday saying KU has been getting breaks in basketball for over a hundred years because of the inventor. I think a lot of what we have seen is just frustration from several groups not associated with KU, who really simply want us to lose. When they see the three pictures in a row with Elijah going to the goal they don't want to respond because it shows their argument isn't valid. When they see Elijah on the ground with the ball passing it out with Niang's arm grabbing EJ they don't want to discuss that either. When it's mentioned that the whistle blew just as Tharpe caught the ball with an easy shot to put it into OT, they don't want to talk about that. Keep in mind without that whistle he takes a dribble and hits a 5 footer and we're in OT. It's a bunch of frustrated fans from other teams. I think we can relate to their pain. Many of us might have called that play a charge initially too. Looking at the closeup pictures it's obvious the referees did get it half right to have a no-call. It was by definition a blocking foul, which would have given EJ two shots. The best thing we can do is say good game and move on. It's time to get ready for WV @ AFH. Anymore conversation comes up in the future just show them the picture of EJ driving the lane or the picture that clearly shows Niang wasn't set. The picture is all we need. Just say good game. Missouri and their fans are gone, thankfully. Now we just play basketball and show class.

AzHawk97 1 year, 1 month ago

Memo to all Big 12 opponents and fans: If you really want to disrespect Kansas it is quite simple. First: Win. Second: DON'T rush the court.

This would get more attention than some random classless acts, and it would cause panic among the Jayhawk nation. However, I find it hard to fathom a time in the near future when beating KU will become both routine and met with restraint among conference foes.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

You can't argue with these people. KU fans don't blame a basketball loss solely on poor officiating or one horrific call. Bottom line...Iowa State had opportunities to put KU away, and they didn't. Their strategy is not beneficial in close games....period.

And to the fans...thanks for adding fuel to the fire by showing your true colors. I'm not a fan of generalizations, but we had one middle-aged fan restrained by security, debris thrown at our players BY MULTIPLE FANS, and digital racism and freakin death threats.

I say label away. These people don't deserve our sympathy, apologies, or mercy. Elijah Johnson's dunk is proving to be more and more necessary and validated.

PUTCHA SHOES ON.....AND ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

This was a case of the The Big 12-2 bowing before pressure from E$PN to justify the incessant rantings of their broadcast team.

Although, quite frankly, I am sure that if the tables were turned and we lost this game in Allen under these same circumstances, the din of dissent would be earth shattering------------minus the racial slurs, death threats, coach abuse and hurling of projectiles at the opponent.

Bob Bailey 1 year, 1 month ago

Too much conversation about too little a subject!

If you can remember way back when, the official position was that you have to be good enough to surpass incompetent officiating.

We were! We did! Keep it up!

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 1 month ago

Did anyone see PTI yesterday. Both Tony & Mike, "ISU got hosed". Plan and simple, "KU,UK,Duke,NC,UCLA are always the recipients of these calls". How many times did espn run inside kentucky @ the beginning of the year? 20,30 times?

What their 90 seconds of in depth reporting did was tell viewers that we an unfair advantage. Talk about stirring the pot before the tournament begins. I can just see the staff meeting before the show went on. "Come on folks, this is the perfect spring board to get the tourney off on the wrong foot, lots of fan hostility. The refs will have to go into witness protection, our numbers will go through the roof"!

hawkhoops 1 year, 1 month ago

How many free throws did ISU shoot in about a 9 second span at the end?

This whole thing is so dang stupid. They are acting like that one call was the only one that was wrong all night. Like so many are saying....watch the entire game and see how many calls were wrong. One call did not determine the outcome of the ball game. If that call had been made in the first half, we wouldn't be talking about it. Oh wait, just like the wrong calls that were made in the first half aren't being talked about.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 1 month ago

I went to the Des Moines Register (I've always thought it was a respectable paper) to see what they were saying. Their headlines talked about the bad call. Of course their fans were mostly in agreement. Some said, forget the call, we never should have been in that position in the first place. One particularly obnoxious poster was adament that ISU is KU's equal, Hoiberg is Self's equal if not better, another that all Self does is whine, that's why he's won 500 games. One entire article was on Forde's Yahoo article saying the refs blew the call and should be severely punished.

Lost in the shuffle about this officiating crew is that they were completely bamboozled by Young taking Withey's 6th foul. We've all seen players attempt such things, and I suppose it's worked, but I'm not sure if it ever happened in such an important moment in a game to such an important player. It's hard to imagine how the rest of the game might have gone without Withey, when he did finally foul out it was pretty much over.

And I'm sure Self has forgotten many of his 500 wins and could tell you little about them, but this one he'll remember for the rest of his life, as we probably will too.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 1 month ago

The worst part about the Big 12 commenting on 'officiating mistakes' is that it does nothing to clarify what went wrong or what should have been done differently. The only clear mistake at the end of the game that was 100% indisputable was KY raising his hand to take W's last foul. That was awful officiating and it was one of those rare instances where the officials could go back to the monitor and make sure they got the call right.

The charge was debatable, though I'd say a charge. It's still a moot point because EJ was fouled by Lucious on the drive anyway, so he didn't wind up shooting any more free throws than he should have otherwise been entitled to on that possession. All it really cost ISU was the chance to set up for a better shot. But of course they just walked the ball up the court and fired long rather than driving for a quick score, so I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. Yeah, they got screwed by a no call, but they had multiple opportunities to play around that. We only tied the game. They got the final shot in regulation. They got to play overtime. At some point, you have to stop blaming the officials for the loss and realize it was in your hands the whole time.

I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again: Good teams out play bad calls. I've never seen a game played perfectly by the players. I've never seen a game officiated perfectly by the officials. I've seen plenty of games where the winning team got bad calls late and still managed to pull it out. It can be done, and it's incumbent on the players to do so, whether they're the home team or the visitor. I said the same the about the game in Columbia last year. Yeah, that was an awful flop, but the game was lost on TT not knocking down free throws and Denmon hitting an incredibly difficult/lucky shot. It happens. We got the final possession to send it to overtime. We failed to do so. That's on us. This game is on them. End of story.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

Maybe even court rushing should be looked at as a poential disaster-I don't know. But you see live performers in other entertainment venues get protected & stage inscursions are dealt with severly. This is a different world now, polices & rules should be reviewed & revised as an ongoing project, & not after some prozak crazed moron goes public with his agenda.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

Truth is, the entire world is rampant with extreme nut cases, not just ISU, KSU or misery. What I can't understand is why rules regulations, & laws are only put in place after some idiotic sicko goes off. Is a testament of the complete lack of vision of policy makers, & that people who lead are totally inept. There are many board rats on here that display more brilliance that most politicians. And in the lion's share of these instances, comes the surprising revalation that, so & so was being treated for depression, or was on illegal drugs, or alcohol was involved, or whatever. In some states the govt owns the alcohol business, while in others a bartender can be charged for serving a clown too much liquor. What's wrong with this pic? Drs prescribing behavioral drugs get a pass, the state govts get a pass, & an un educated server is the culprit? Please! Can there will ever be enough safeguards in place to prevent this type of behavior in a free society? Doubtful IMO. But when it gets close to one's own turf, joe public gets a knee jerk political reaction which is usually like pi$$ing on a fire. Bill played this deal off, but you bet it got his immediate attention at the time. Until leaders recognize that they have to be more intelligent instead of sitting on their cushy, fat rear ends,drawing huge salaries, unbelievable perks, & lifetime pensions, these simple freedoms and enjoyments will continue to be windows of opportunity for disasters. I'm sure there are a few crackpots in AFH on gameday too. But when safety & security measures are reactionary and not visionary, public figures, athletes, hell anyone of us are potential targets. I hope the law goes after those imbasilic tweeters & lays terroristic threat charges on them and the "big booster" with the pea brain gets his tickets revoked at te very minimum. Is a plain truth fact it only takes one fruitcake to change the scope of this entire nation and AD's, Big 12 administrators, politicians, and leaders at every level are in place to prepare for this krappy behavior. We don't need any more commissions or depts created-there are certainly enough already. When these people begin to use their heads for more than a damn hat rack, maybe a tragic event or two can be avoided, however none of us should be holding our breath & waiting. JMO.

mikehawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I think the Big 12 has set a dangerous precedent coming out and addressing the call publicly like that. Any call during any time in a game can end up being one that affected the outcome of any game. You just have to trace it back far enough. Dealing with the referees and their scores and grading in house, and let it be at that. To do it the way they have done it, makes it just a little harder to find the people willing to do the thankless, and necessary job of officiating. Is the league going to publicly make statements like that every time a late call "affects the outcome" of a game? Do they believe bias or unfairness is at the core of the call? If so, the referee needs to be removed. Player control fouls are the most difficult and thankless calls to make in any sport, and referees get them right and wrong all the time, thanks to the hindsight of instant replay. If they are going to be held to the standard of being publicly criticized for one call like that, they should be given the option of going to the replay to help them. Do we really want that? As far as the Big 12 making public comments, a comment from them to all schools that fan profanity (there are children present), player abuse from the fans, racial remarks, and physical threats toward players and coaches will not be tolerated. Now that would be the right thing for the league to address. Bill Self, as always, handled it with his usual grace and dignity. I am sure the whole of ISU fans and alums are embarrassed. Elijah should not have dunked. That was stupid. But he immediately apologized publicly. Has ISU apologized for the behavior of their fans? Or have they decided the behavior was justified based on the call and the dunk? Hey KU faithful, I think we have our new Missouri. Be careful ISU. Let sleeping dogs lie.

shelleysue 1 year, 1 month ago

And ... it's D-1 athletics. Don't act like it's 3rd grade where everyone gets a medal. It's sports people. You know. Competitive sports. I don't understand why this kind of thing gets people so upset. I just wish he would have added a couple of back flips. I thought two things after the dunk. That it was a warranted celebratory act from a player who just had the best game of his career to help the Jayhawks win a crucial game, and that it was also a statement to Iowa State and all of KUs opponents.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

I guess it all depends on your announcer! :)

If we'd've had Jimmy Dykes as our color guy and they HAD called that play a charge - he'd've been yelling from the rooftops that you can't have a foot sliding and be flopping and call it a charge. Then the SAME DOGGONE thing probably would've happened in reverse.

Of course, if they DID call it a charge and Frashilla's the one doing the call.....nothing.

A bit questionable reassigning Knight to do SEC games on Thursdays and having Fraschilla BACK on Big XII's Big Mondays again what w/ having a kid actually ON OU's roster.

Give me Jimmy Dykes!!!!! Fraschilla can be swapped out and do Super Tuesdays - the SEC installment.

shelleysue 1 year, 1 month ago

I've seen ISU fans act very rudely at football games on a number of occasions. And some of the anti-Kansas shirts they wear are ridiculous and offensive. I would not say they are classy by any means. In fact, after the game my first words were "I think Iowa State is my new Missouri".

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

Here in St.Louis, the latest from the ever spinning rumor mill...the Big 10 is contemplating expanding to four divisions with five teams in each division. Kansas is targeted as one of the teams...and Missouri isn't.

I really don't really care if this is legit or started by some basement fanboy.. I love to see the Misery faithful in misery!!!

Joe Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

The B12 really opened Pandora's box with this mess. They should siimply say, "We stand behind our officials and the call stands, right or wrong. The game is over and the officials will continue to call games as they see them."

This is only going to further cause the officials to make bogus calls. I would call every close call possible to avoid making a "no call." Then I'd be crucified for making ticky tack calls. Where does it end? The B12 needs to retract the call. It wasn't a reviewable call and should've never made it this far. KU has many negative calls in the past and most of the time they play and overcome those "bad calls."

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

There has been bad officiating ever since the game was invented. What makes it so noticeable now days is that you have all the instant replays; not only on TV but in the arenas as well. The broadcasters In the old days, most of the fans wouldn't have thought that much about it (half of them probably wouldn't have even seen the play). They would have booed for a few seconds but the game would go on they would forget about it; unless it involved some kind of altercation.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 1 month ago

There are a few bad eggs in just about any basket. I had a roommate that was an ISU grad. Salt of the earth kind of guy. Hearing about those threats on twitter is not good, so I trust that will be dealt with. Otherwise, the ISU people I've known are good folks.

bville_hawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I remember a game back in Larry Brown's first season at KU. It was a heated contest and a call went against the Jayhawks. Some debris was thrown on the court. Coach Brown immediately called time-out, grabbed the PA announcers microphone, and said in a loud, very angry voice "Hey! We don't do that kind of stuff in our house!"

Nothing was thrown on the court the rest of the game (and I'm not sure any has been since then). Larry Brown doesn't always get the credit he deserves for his role in helping transform us from a good, 'wannabe' program, to one of the nation's elite both on the court and off.

The Mayor probably needs to do something similar at Ames before his fan base gets a bush league reputation.

Beate Williams 1 year, 1 month ago

The two free throws took the game into OT. What about the five minutes in OT that provided ISU an opportunity to win the game. Forget about regulation, let's play ball in OT and KU did just that.

I think Jay Bilas has it right, if a player has started his move to the basket and the defending player moves into his flight path that is not a charge, even if the player becomes set. Bilas has it right, it burns me when I see a player headed to the basket and then all of a sudden a Zoeller appears and everyone talks about how great a defensive move that was, it is not a great defensive move and most of the time it is simply a flop.

This was not a well officiated game but it went both ways (that's being polite, it's hard to say that it was equal when you consider the number of free throws ISU had vs the number KU had and it always appeared that ISU was ready to shoot the bonus and ISU only had 3 fouls) but all in all it was poorly officiated or since it was poorly officiated one might say neither team had an advantage, therefore, the officiating had no impact on the outcome of the game. The important thing here is the fact there were 5 extra minutes and the Jayhawks performed and ISU did not.

JayHok 1 year, 1 month ago

If Fran was so upset over Young getting Withey's foul, how about this weekend Fran walks us through Withey's previous four fouls frame-by-frame and show us how exactly he earned them.

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

ISU fans are only mad because they lost the game. Nothing else to it. There are people who are gracious in defeat and there are sore losers, it's as simple as that. I am glad he dunked the ball, and if they play in the Big XII Tournament, I hope he dunks it again!

Lindsey Buscher 1 year, 1 month ago

Well, ISU fans picking up right where Fizzou fans left off, soon to be on their way to the most hated fans in the conference. Will never be an actual "rival", but it's good to have someone to hate.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 1 month ago

It seems clear to me his foot was still sliding when EJ went into the air, so it should not be considered a charge. Had they called it a charge I think Jayhawk fans would be complaining just as vehemently. And because it could have reasonably been called either way, a non-call was probably the right thing to do, particularly at that stage of the game. The fact the league decided to weigh in on a call that could easily have gone either way is a very troubling precedent.

I blame most of this nonsense on the ESPN announcers who decided to make a federal case about this because they were still stunned that Withey didn't get called for that open-court foul earlier. They simply would not let that go. Why they obsessed about that non-call and ignored the bad charging call against him in the first half is beyond me. That obsession was simply fuel for the ISU fans who were desperate to blame the loss on anyone but themselves. Even K-State fans became obsessed with this, devoting entire threads on Powercat to a game they didn't even play in, using this as proof, once and for all, that KU has been gaming the system. Pathetic!

I'm afraid all this paranoid nonsense about KU getting all the calls is starting to get traction in the media, and that in turn is putting pressure on Big-12 officials. I predict that KU won't get the benefit of a single close call from here on out. No official wants to be accused now of being biased toward the Jayhawks. All because a bunch of crybaby fans can't accept that maybe, just maybe KU has a superior program and team.

What a crock!

duanep5ku 1 year, 1 month ago

Hi KJD I enjoyed your posts,fun read.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

(5)• Elijah’s last second dunk in OT

• Hudy applauded with smiles.
  • Releford and EJ celebrate while the bench erupts.
  • Joy is had all around for KU Basketball fans everywhere.
  • ISU students throw plastic megaphones at KU players as they leave the court.
  • Fans hung around after the game to ferociously boo EJ during his long, deserved ESPN interview.
  • EJ apologizes for the dunk on the ESPN Post-game interview AND it’s his first words about the game in his general press interview. – When I tell my sister, another KU alum, the whole story she gets the most excited after I tell the part “then Elijah gets the ball, starts dribbling up court in a sprint of excitement, ISU fans start booing, and then he dunks on them to finish with 39.” Kansas 108, Iowa State 96, OT.
  • Now that I know that 39 ties EJ with Paul for career highs, after the undue criticism he’s received from many, including our own KU faithful, I’m stoked he slammed that ball home for 39.

• I’m sure I missed something. I probably missed something very important. Has there been a wiki page created for this game yet? Maybe we need a Wiki-Week for these past 7 days.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

(4)• The mighty fuss about officials.

• Hilton Magic turned into a nest of Boo Birds
  • The Boo’s were heard across the land and the people responded and responded and responded...
  • Television announcers recalled their angst from their coaching days and ground oversized axes.
  • Mayor Hoiberg spent time at half-court arguing a call that already was done, well in the past and in the books, instead of getting his players ready for the extra 5 minutes of overtime.
  • The Mayor, a cool customer with loads of integrity, goes to the middle of the court to keep arguing with the officials after the game is over and before getting into the hand shake line.

• The Mayor’s tyke cried a river.

• The Big XII coughs up a vague transcript about poor officiating in the last minute which creates another cascade of responses - By the people - By Duke alum’s at ESPN.com - By our own KUSports.com - The people keep responding, and clicks keep clicking and advertisemenst keep loading and I still can’t sleep!

• This game is proof, hard evidence, that Kansas wins and keeps on winning due to a conspiracy led by Big XII leadership and officials that rig each and every Big XII game. The only way to fix this conspiracy is if every school started to root really, really hard against KU because they simply to root hard enough against us as is. If you don’t know this to be true Kansas fans Powercat66 has some insight for you over on cyclonefanatic.com http://bit.ly/Y05Cpr You’ll find out that you are sexxxy.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

(3)• Iowa State cashes in 17 three bombs to set a school record. The Cyclones hit 22 straight free throws on a night they put more points on the scoreboard than any other team in Bill Self’ tenure at Kansas. Iowa State, with the backing of Hilton Magic, still lost. Or, which I like a little bit better, Kansas still found a way to win.

• The Jayhawk’s snap the Cyclones 22-game home winning streak which was 3rd longest in the nation and, which I need to still fact check though I believe I saw the graphic, was their second longest in Iowa State Men’s Basketball school history. Does anyone know? Anyone? (pause) Bedore? (pause) Bedore? (pause) Bedore? (couldn’t help myself on that. I should know that only Bill Self can ask Bedore for fact checks)

• The game was so crazed that some ISU fans displayed their crazy - An uncomposed Cyclone fan, who happens to be a prominent booster for the school, confronts Bill Self on the sideline after the game and needs to be separated by a police officer. - The Internet is so fantastic that we knew very quickly who the uncomposed ISU booster is. He is Melvin R. Weatherwax, the youngest person in UPS history to become a division manager in their companies esteemed history http://bit.ly/YYoSpz When you ship to Iowa, be sure to ship FedEx! -There were Twitter Death Threats -A Death Squad was not gathered though one fan volunteered to lead one -Then there were the racial slurs for the player who had a historic night on their floor. Ames went mad I tell you, MAD!

• Stu Jackson, one of the ESPN anchors of SportsCenter which followed the game, drummed up multiple words of unkindness for Bill Self, calling him ‘cranky’ as an example, said he ‘needed a hug’. What Stu failed to recognize was that Self got the technical foul to light a fire under his team. Classy Stu. Real creative stuff for a coach who won his 500th game on that night.

• Out of all these story lines why does Stu chose to open SportsCenter with a shake of the head and groaning about officiating. Why? He can only parrot Fran F’s mantra that the officials needed to make a call with 6 seconds to go in regulation. Oh, that, again. So, ESPN SportsCenter, the supposed ‘leader in sports’, can only talk about the no call to lead off their broadcast. Someone please help these people before its too late.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

(2)• With Bruce Webber’s Kansas State Wildcat’s winning at home against 2-13 Texas Tech earlier in the evening KU needed to keep pace at 9-5 Iowa State for the conference lead. With the Jayhawk sweep of the season series against the Cyclones the pressure now turns on Kansas State: @Baylor, TCU, @OSU. Kansas has 2 games in Allen–West Virginia followed by Texas Tech–then KU too visits the Bears down in Waco. I like our schedule better. I like that we have the tie-breaker against KState for the 1 seed in the conference tournament. I like to think after the 3 game losing streak that Elijah Johnson’s team is going to finish focused and strong.

• Bill Self induces fire in Elijah Johnson who scores 39 in a single game which ties Paul Peirce’s high of 39 back in 1997. EJ and Paul, forever next to each other in the record books of KU basketball history, produced the highest scoring games by a Jayhawk since 1991 when Downtown Terry Brown made in rain for 42.

• Senior guard Travis Releford was nails, again.

• When a team decides to stop McLemore and Withey at all costs, Kansas has options.

• Kevin Young continues to sharpen his game, cleaning up the nasty, keeping the spirit alive and well.

• Perry Ellis’s jump shot is looking smooth and composed. He’s starting to get his on the offensive end and I’ve noticed a bit of a jump hook in his game recently too. Tharpe and Traylor round out the regulars off the bench who are developing confidence quite nicely, playing important minutes on the road, producing in tough venues.

KJD 1 year, 1 month ago

(1) The past 7 days have been so silly that silly titles fit: Conference Craziness dishes up a February Feast. It’s stupefying silly. It’s all you need to know that regular season games are just as fun as anything March serves up, and I do love me some March Madness with a large helping of a Final Four. Today I’m fat on KU hoops. Bloated. I dare not fast. There will be gorging.

Who here is going to disagree that the last Kansas trip to Oklahoma State wasn’t “epic”? Truly epic game, big time win, BAM! Naadir Tharpe finds the bottom of the net. When Releford slapped the ball down court in the final seconds I got dizzy and fell to the floor. Dizzy in the head, unable to stand. Two overtimes and the final score is 68-67. The biggest lead by either team was, what, 5 points? And how long would a multi-possession lead for either one of those teams last? KU grabs a survival win, at coaches alma mater, to keep life towards winning a 9th conference championship realistic.

TCU, welcome to Allen Fieldhouse.

Six days after beating Smart and Company in Stillwater we get the 2013 installment of the Jayhawk’s visit to Hilton Coliseum where the students at the end of the visitors bench wore T-Shirts that read “Breathe If You Hate Kansas”. I became obsessed, I texted and texted, I made screen grabs, I made comments, I could not sleep, and it still won’t stop. This one game has too many story lines, too many perspectives, too many facts:

• Let’s start with “The Program”: Coach gets his 500th win and all he cares about is getting this team better. He is in the all-time coaching top 10 for getting to 500 wins in games played and got most of them at the University of Kansas. Congrats to him, his staff, and the players.

• Elijah Johnson rises. EJ drops 27 points in the last 6 minutes of regulation and overtime. EJ calls it a blackout. I like Jaybate’s description of a lucid berserker feeling 4 dimensional space, like he could 'see' into the future on what must be done to win, which you'll find, if you haven't already, below Bedore’s article ‘Perfect Storm’. Just off the top of my head about EJ’s 11 minutes that shook Ames:

• Got to the rim at will in the half court with kisses off the glass or swishes.
  • 360 behind the back handles to break down the D then finish over defenders while in transition.
  • Jumping back onto the court just in time to catch and shoot a 3 in the corner.
  • Grabbing rebounds to race down court to assist or finish.
  • Game tying free throws.
  • 3’s.
  • Long 3’s.
  • Longer 3’s while the shot clock is running out with a catch, twist, swish.
  • ... There’s more, oh, there’s more...like EJ getting low, staying low, on the D end...

Sean Edmiston 1 year, 1 month ago

I definitely think Niangs knee was bent on that play, which would indicate that that foot was no set. You got that right JayHok

As everyone has said, the officiating the whole way was horrible an the Big 12 should've said so. Now KSU, ISU and as ever more concerned with our affairs than their own, Mizzou fans are up in arms about us being "helped" by a "bad" call at the end. When if their hadn't been so many legitimately awful calls the whole way, KU wouldn't be in a position to get all this bad press because Fran Fraschilla convinced a nation of naive basketball fans that Elijah Johnson charged Georges Niang.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

And dont forget the very regular "F--- KU" chant by the purple fans in Manlesshattan...just how easy do these pretenders want to make it for KU to remain the class of the BigXII? Too easy. Score! Next...

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

With respect to the legitimate, rationale and devoted IowaState fanbase...how can they expect any sympathy whatsoever when certain elements within their fanbase have totally cast a utter-white-trash shadow over the aftermath. This is just unbelievable. Cant imagine an AFH crowd behaving like this. We continue to lead by example. But they just hate us because KU (&Duke, KY, UNC, etc...) just "win alot"--so there's no way their polarized minds could learn from us. Pathetic. The new Mizzoo. And I wanted so bad for it to be Faylor/Scot Drewche...although Travis Ford of OSU didnt win any new fans with his comments either. Unfortunately, this takes away from the generally strong play by ISU and OSU recently...

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 1 month ago

Is the Hawk Talk radio show on ESPN or... ?

Michael Auchard 1 year, 1 month ago

Classlessness all around in Ames, it seems.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 1 month ago

Death threats and racist remarks on twitter, a fan rushing HCBS and EJ is the one called classless for dunking during the game?

Adam McEwen 1 year, 1 month ago

Bad calls against OSU and we still came out on top. Bad call on EJ in the championship, could have changed the game perhaps, but the better team wins, we don't whine about it, at least not too much. Kentucky was a better team than us, Iowa St. needs to just accept the fact that KU was the better team on Monday.

yovoy 1 year, 1 month ago

The call at the end of the game could've gone either way. EJ missed the shot, and got his own rebound. He was fouled before the collision with Niang, anyway. You want to win? Rebound the ball.

The announcers were saying that "Dentures" (or "Chompers", whatever, #13) was "unstoppable" at one point in the game, or that KU didn't have an answer for him. Hell, he carried the ball twice on one possession to get baskets both times. If you let an offensive player do something against the rules to gain an advantage, that's bad officiating as well. The basket interference wasn't on K. Young either. Bad officiating that went ISU's way. Doubt they complained much about that.

Good game though.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 1 month ago

Just two clowns out of hand on Twitter. Sounds like they're in hot water and won't be mouthing off like that again anytime soon. The fans there aren't so bad and plastic megaphones being thrown aren't too worrisome.

I will say one thing about ISU, though. I roomed with an ISU alum while doing an internship in DC right out of college. The guy was completely racist! He acted like he'd never known a black person in his life, and I think that may have been accurate. I told him about playing basketball with a group of mostly black guys in a relatively rough neighborhood and he wanted to know all about how they played and what it was like. It was almost comical how ignorant this guy was, and he was interning for an Iowa senator. Maybe he's his chief of staff now for all I know. Scary.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 1 month ago

We got screwed at the end of the ISU game in 1996. Vaughn did not foul. Karma payback.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 1 month ago

Alright, let me say this. I can't help but feel for the guy. My dad was just like that. He was a passionate sports fans and sometimes his emotions got the best of him...although I really feel sorry for his wife. Like I said, been there. Also, I've been to Ames, my roommates are both ISU alum, and what those turds did is not representative of ISU alum or Ames. It's a great town, a great school with a beautiful campus, with a passionate fan base. Also, Hoiberg is about as classy as they come. I was so glad he didn't cry and whine about calls during his press conference because like Bill said, it was not one call, but the whole game that was poorly officiated. RCJH.

LLH 1 year, 1 month ago

Completely agree with you regarding the hype machine. Had ISU won the game the court would have been stormed and ESPN would have beat the horse to death with "Kansas Upset" highlights, completely ignoring the numerous other questionable calls that took place during the rest of the game. Did the league have an "aknowledgement" last year after the KU loss in Columbia? I think not, and THAT charge was the biggest flop I've ever seen. Consistency rarely rules the day, but here's to hoping one day it will. Just my two cents.

Bob Bowles 1 year, 1 month ago

So much for Fran and Brent's comments about how they like going to Ames because they have some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Death threats against EJ......these clowns just moved up to #3 on my most hated list behind Misery and KSU.

Kye Clark 1 year, 1 month ago

Self hit the nail on the head regarding the officiating. Shame to see the conference cowardly cowering to the ESPN hype machine, as their coverage (both during the game and immediately after) I'm sure helped drive the "acknowledgement" from the Big 12.

I really don't want to hear anything from any Iowa State fan regarding anyone else being classless. First the reports of the F--- KU before the game, the fan accosting Self following the game, fans throwing stuff at the players following the game, and no the threats on the Twitter-verse. This level of classlessness is at Missouri-esque levels.

On a more pleasant note, gotta love Self's sense of humor. Last week he was talking about his muscles when aiding a motorist during the inclement weather, now joking about being able to "take" the crazed fan. Guy cracks me up!