Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Self downplays run-in with ‘animated’ Iowa State fan

An Iowa State fan is restrained by police after charging at Kansas head coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

A middle-aged man in glasses wearing a gold Iowa State shirt yelled insults in the face of Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self after the Jayhawks’ 108-96 overtime win over the Cyclones late Monday night in Hilton Coliseum.

photo

“I don’t think I got rushed. That dude didn’t really come at me. I really think I could have taken him without any problem,” Self joked on Tuesday’s Hawk Talk radio show.

A police officer grabbed the man and escorted him away from KU’s coach.

“It was not a serious deal at all like people made it out to be. Maybe his body language made it look differently,” Self added of a person he heard was “a big booster of the Cyclones.”

“I didn’t feel in the least bit like anything would come of that. It was a fan voicing himself in a way he was a little animated. The words weren’t bad.”

Self did say it was a bit alarming fans were so close to the players after a hotly contested game. Several ISU students pelted the Jayhawk players with debris as they headed to the locker room.

“They could probably make some corrections to make sure they (fans) don’t have access to players after a game like that,” Self said. “I know when we’ve been at Missouri in heated times, there’s security escorting the players out. After the handshake line it probably could be tightened up a bit.”

Des Moines TV station WOI-DT reported Tuesday that Iowa State police confirmed they were investigating two Twitter death threats to Elijah Johnson, who dunked at the end of the game rather than running out the clock.

Screenshots taken by other Twitter users on Monday night showed one person suggesting attacking the KU bus with “30 bullets” and another making racist comments directed at Johnson. Both Twitter accounts had been deactivated by Tuesday evening.

“I guess there were some things said, some threats made. That is sad,” Self told the Journal-World. “That person should be investigated and looked at. You can’t take things like that for granted. The person making those statements ... that situation needs to be looked into.”

Self said he had received a nice e-mail from an Iowa State student.

“The student said he hated how fans coming on the court throwing things totally took away from what was a good night,” Self said. “I responded. I said, ‘Hey it was a good night. Even if the outcome was different, I’d say it was a great atmosphere and fun game to be part of.’ I was never nervous about it. There were some things being thrown. It’s just frustration. I will say this about Iowa State fans: I like them. They are good. They are loyal and enthusiastic.”

League weighs in on no-call: The Big 12 Conference released the following statement Tuesday:

“The Big 12 Conference acknowledges that officiating errors were made at the end of regulation during last night’s Kansas at Iowa State men’s basketball game. The plays have been reviewed and appropriate measures will be aken by the Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Officials to adjust the number of future assignments for the two officials involved in conjunction with Conference policies.”

With six seconds left and KU trailing, 90-88, KU’s Johnson drove to the lane and made contact with Iowa State forward Georges Niang. No foul was called on the play, and Niang was later whistled for a loose-ball foul against Johnson, who hit two free throws with 4.9 seconds remaining to send the game to overtime. Also, with 23 seconds left, it appeared Jeff Withey committed his fifth foul, but the foul was assessed to Kevin Young.

“I would say, ‘Hey we were fortunate we got a no-call there,’” Self said. “It could have easily been a charge. (But) how many times at the end of games do you have no-calls in those situations?

“We were fortunate. I will not say we weren’t. It could have easily been called and if it was I couldn’t have complained. On the flip side, there are a lot of calls in a game that you could say, ‘Maybe that could go the other way.’ It was a hard game to call. It’s gotten a lot of national attention. I guess the league office felt they had to make some sort of statement.”

On his radio show, Self said league-office statements about officiating could get out of hand.

“If we are going to get in the business of publicly making statements off of every bad call, let’s go back to the opening tip,” Self said, “because there are a lot of times the third foul on a big guy in the first half is the difference between winning and losing or second foul with 15 minutes left if it’s a bad call can be difference between winning and losing. It was a good crew (Mark Whitehead, Tom O’Neill, Bert Smith). I don’t think our bench was ecstatic on the way the game was being called either. I don’t think their bench was. It was a hard game. There were good players making plays.”

This, that: Self was presented a ball in the locker room by his players and KU administration signifying his 500th coaching victory. ... KU’s bus pulled into the Allen Fieldhouse parking lot at 4:50 a.m., Tuesday. “It was tough sledding,” Self said. “The last hour and a half really slowed down because of snow, ice. We made it back safe and sound and slept better the few hours we got because of unbelievable performance by our guys.”

Naismith list: KU’s Ben McLemore and Jeff Withey are two of 30 candidates for the Naismith College Player of the Year Award, the Atlanta Tipoff Club announced Tuesday. Other Big 12 players on the list: Rodney McGruder, Kansas State; Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State.

Comments

Kye Clark 2 years, 4 months ago

Self hit the nail on the head regarding the officiating. Shame to see the conference cowardly cowering to the ESPN hype machine, as their coverage (both during the game and immediately after) I'm sure helped drive the "acknowledgement" from the Big 12.

I really don't want to hear anything from any Iowa State fan regarding anyone else being classless. First the reports of the F--- KU before the game, the fan accosting Self following the game, fans throwing stuff at the players following the game, and no the threats on the Twitter-verse. This level of classlessness is at Missouri-esque levels.

On a more pleasant note, gotta love Self's sense of humor. Last week he was talking about his muscles when aiding a motorist during the inclement weather, now joking about being able to "take" the crazed fan. Guy cracks me up!

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Answer this honestly basketball fans, use pictures if you need to. Was Niang's right foot up and sliding before contact? Yes or no? That's what ESPN and the Big 12 conference needs to discuss. This should be a more intelligent conversation about what a charge actually is. EJ didn't lower his shoulder so for it to be a charge Niang's feet need to be set. If its not a charge because the feet aren't set and contact is made, then it's a block which would have put Johnson at the line for two shots.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 4 months ago

I have replayed it several times. I say he feet didn't move, his upper body did. If I had to make a decision after watching the video 6 or 7 times, I would say CHARGE. However, my first thought when it was live was BLOCKING. Maybe the best call was the NO-CALL. If you second-guess one call then you open the entire game up. No would watch a college basketball game with instant replays. The Refs made the best call they could. If anything, the Big12 would love to see K-State, Iowa State, OK State, Baylor step up and challenge Kansas for the top dog position in the league. There is very little proof of conspiracy.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Cool. If you get a chance there's a three picture sequence showing his right foot was clearly in the air and sliding over a good 18 inches just before impact. I think a lot of us, if non biased in stripes, would have called it one way or another. The more I look at those pictures the question becomes, "what is a charge?" Well his foot is clearly moving and EJ doesn't lower his shoulder meaning its actually a block.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Ok....late last night in the Tennessee / Florida game they had the EXACT same play. I think Tennessee tried to take a charge and the defender was falling / flopping BEFORE the UF guard got there and the ref EMPHATICALLY called the charge....probably in large part because of our game and the attention it got. The ESPN color guy EMPHATICALLY seemed to support our stance in what was going on w/ Niang and in much the same way with this player.....there was NEVER A CHARGE as the defender was falling BEFORE contact was made. Would've loved to have had that guy in place of Fraschilla on Mon. night!!!!!

Jimmy Dykes is who it was. Anyone else see that. FINALLY!!!! SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!!! And UF got screwed on that call btw.

BainDread 2 years, 4 months ago

Saw it last night and was thinking the exact same thing.

Jared Grillot 2 years, 4 months ago

I didn't have to go back. I could see it on the replay immediately after the call. His right foot slid over as EJ went into the air. It was a block. I do NOT understand how the absolutely brainless hypemasters at ESPN believe that he was "clearly" set. However, since a charge/block/no-call is NOT REVIEWABLE, this whole business is outrageous.

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 4 months ago

I just have no use for those complaining about the no-call at the end of the game...how often do people (and many times the same people now complaining) demand that at the end of the game to let the players play and the refs bury the whistles? A no-call was the best call in that situation.

monkeehawkSL8 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, he moved slightly to his right, after EJ had left the floor. George was not set.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 4 months ago

I am a big believer that when the game is on the line in the last few seconds, let the players decide the outcome, unless it is a major major foul. A no-call in that situation was the right and best call. No game should be allowed to be decided by a cheap flop or marginal contact.

A few years ago when the Knicks were playing the Bulls in game 7 of the Conference Finals, the Knicks got the rebound under their basket, trailing by a point with a few seconds left. The Bulls mugged the Knick player and none of the players on either team complained. Every single player agreed under those situations ... the strong should prevail.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 4 months ago

I should say foul or violatioin. Recall the controversy over JoJo White stepping out of bounds against UTEP. A play THAT close should not be called. As it turned out, and replays confirmed, Jo Jo was inbounds. I don't think they saved replays back then but at the time, they showed it several times.

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

I watched repeatedly in slow and super-slo-mo. It appeared he did an eye-blink stutter step just before EJ's final step. He was not set. Block for me.

Mike Skiles 2 years, 4 months ago

Agree about a 'more intelligent conversation about what a charge actually is', but that isn't possible when Musburger is in the same sentence! The game call was one of the more unprofessional, poorly informed ones that I can recall hearing for awhile.

DrPepper 2 years, 4 months ago

"I really don't want to hear anything from any Iowa State fan regarding anyone else being classless. First the reports of the F--- KU before the game"

You ever heard of a 'Muck Fizzou' t-shirt? Glass houses, folks. EJ dunking in the final seconds will not be easily forgotten by basketball fans across America. I don't condone racial slurs, but things like running up the score and Withey getting 6 fouls aren't worth a W.

MimiHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

No one complained about Michael Jordan dunking in the final seconds of North Carolina's 74 - 62 win over Maryland in 1984. http://tinyurl.com/l3z5xa

Michael Johnson 2 years, 4 months ago

Quote of the day: "Did Secretariat slow down, when he was 29 lengths ahead?" Author unknown

robertson4ku 2 years, 4 months ago

Well played jhawkr22! And I think Dr. Pepper is a MIZZOU troll so it really doesn't matter what he says!

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 4 months ago

No, each quarter was faster than the previous one. I watched it when I was 14 on TV. It was perhaps the single greatest sports event I ever saw, and I know nothing about horse racing.

Sam Constance 2 years, 4 months ago

If you're going to start a sentence with "I don't condone racial slurs, but..." you should probably just refrain from writing anything at all.

And I don't think it was the F KU chant that was the real problem for the ISU fanbase. I'd say the line was crossed when they started throwing things and trying to confront our coach.

monkeehawkSL8 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm not a troll, the t-shirt he mentioned has always been an embarrassment to me and any adult Jayhhawk fan I know. Its classless, more so from any fan that talks about how Jayhawk fans are a "Breed" above. Grow up.

Sam Constance 2 years, 4 months ago

If you're going to start a post with "I'm not a troll..." you should ALSO probably just refrain.

Or if you must post, at least make sure you understand the post you're responding to. I didn't suggest that the Muck Fizzou was okay--in fact, I said nothing about it. What I did say was that there were degrees of difference between some colorful language (chanted or put on a t-shirt) and throwing things at an opponent or confronting a coach.

yates33333 2 years, 4 months ago

Why waste time replying to this A-hole, DrPepper.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 4 months ago

Pibb zero. It's getting to be springtime and we got need to maintain our frames here.

Jeff Coffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Pibb Xtra...they got sued and had to change their name.

Gary Amble 2 years, 4 months ago

I've been around KU football for a while ...trust me, I know a little about having the score run up.

bradh 2 years, 4 months ago

My guess is the dunk had less to do with the death threats than the 20 points he scored in the last 5 minutes of the game, single handedly giving KU the victory.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, but you have to admit the guy has an instinct for what he might get away with ...

KUmtbiker 2 years, 4 months ago

In KU's 3 game losing stretch, I think 2 of the games ended with a run away dunk by the other team instead of dribbling out the clock. Marcus Smart did a backflip center court at Allen Field House, yet no cries of sportsmanship were given to these events. I'm sure I would find you in the archives complaining about those events as well?

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually, there were LOTS of sportsmanship bashing comments regarding Smart's flip.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

Was it KU's fault that Withey got away with 6 fouls? It was the incompetent refs fault Dr Pee

TXJayhawkGrad 2 years, 4 months ago

I am going to give up drinking Dr. Pepper because of this asinine post.

nostradavid 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill can be really funny. I thought the story he told about the technical was good. Refs can't see everything, but they see a lot that we don't. The league will probably keep those guys out of Iowa for awhile for their own safety.

Letting guys play at the end of a long game without a lot of whistles is understandable. Baseball metaphor: the strike zone is always bigger in the ninth inning - you better be swinging. The guy behind the catcher is tired, and wants to go to the bar for a drink.

Did I see what?

Did I see what? by nostradavid

jhox 2 years, 4 months ago

I have been an official and I honestly believe you see more from the stands or from a TV telecast than you often do on the floor. On the floor you have 6'8" kids flashing in front of you just as something key happens, and you don't see it. You're not supposed to call what you don't see, even if you're pretty confident something happened right behind that 6'8" kid. If one of your partners is in better position to make a particular call you're supposed to let that guy make the call. If he doesn't make the call instantaneously, you can jump in and make the call, but often guys are hesitant to do that after a second or so has passed, so it goes uncalled.

It is a very tough job. I'm not big on guys being publicly reprimanded. Nobody blows a call on purpose. If a guy can't do the job educate him in private or don't renew his contract. What the Big 12 did here is bush league. If you are going to call them out publicly at least show clips and explain the errors. They are not doing that here. If you show the block / charge also mention the arm around Elijah's back and the defenders grip on his forearm, or the defender falling backwards before the contact, or his foot an inch off the ground when Elijah was airborne. By doing what they did they are implying it cost ISU the game when maybe they nearly cost KU the game. Also show the earlier blown calls. Calling the refs out publicly was a poor decision here but if you're going to do it don't do it in a cowardly way. Explain it with specifics.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Agreed!!! Again...seems like bowing down to ESPN & ISU pressure.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

jhoxs,

Your post is sooooooo correct. Been one too. This was the worst way to handle it.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I've never BEEN an official, but I've played one on TV.

JJHAWK 2 years, 4 months ago

And I didn't care for one of your calls NULEAF. So I did something about it. Unfortunately my complaint letter was returned by the league office (unopened). Next I decided to throw something at you. I thought it would be a nice touch to throw my wife (wow - I didn't know she knew words like that). Next I thought I would throw the dog. Sucker left home. As a last resort I thought of charging you and quoting volitile words (Ann Browning came to mind) but when I saw your picture I thought you were in better shape than me so in protest to your bad call on TV, I have decided to do the rational bit. I am now hoisting a cold one. Cheers!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Lol - I don't know, JJHAWK - looking at your avatar you look pretty solid. But you made a good choice - hoisting a cold one is the best thing to do in that situation!

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Could you please email Fran or anyone from ESPN today? How telling is it that KU fans are the ones who are seeking the truth here. We have the pictures. You tell a great story from experience. I think mostly I'm disappointed in Fran getting this thing going. Would the ISU twitter fan have freaked out without Fran? I guess he's going to jail now so we can all thank Fran for putting a bad guy off the streets. For the record I initially thought it was a charge also. Those pictures leave no wiggle room now. Let's see you and Fran sit down and talk about it this weekend on ESPN.

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

Best post on this topic so far!!!

It IS a very tough job. And the challenge starts when parents of 4th, 5th or 6th graders yell, insult, threaten, and in some cases actually harm members of the officiating crew when things don't go their way. Most of these refs-in-training are either volunteering their time, or picking up minimal extra change. Some are hoping to grow a career, others just trying to get some exercise (the ENTIRE point of the game of basketball in the first place). The attrition rate of want-to-be D-1 refs must be fairly high.

You are so right about the pathetic way the league is handling this.

crazyed 2 years, 4 months ago

I too have been an Official and it is very hard to see every thing all the time, the game is played at such a fast speed it is hard to keep up with it all.

Gary Denning 2 years, 4 months ago

I've officiated a lot of soccer and I concur with your point about having vision when on the court/pitch with the players--only soccer players aren't 6'8".

Officiating is a very difficult job.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

The funniest eyes in history.

Remember "She's got Marty Feldman eyes" sung to the tune of "She's got Bette Davis eyes"?

Thx for the pic!!

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Gary/Jesse/et.al.:

Is it the University of Iowa State police who are investigating the death threats, or is it the State Police of Iowa? The article just says Iowa State police. I would assume the latter given that death threats are take seriously now given the mass shootings lately.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Wait...I found this little nugget. I don't know if this blog has credibility, but the author claims that the student's employers have been contacted.

WARNING: Contains profanity and political bantering.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

The scary thing is - he looks like someone that would actually do that.

WETSUhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Now that's funny!

Set to the tune of Kung-Fu-Fighting "Self was fast as lightning".

Bob Bowles 2 years, 4 months ago

So much for Fran and Brent's comments about how they like going to Ames because they have some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Death threats against EJ......these clowns just moved up to #3 on my most hated list behind Misery and KSU.

Jared Grillot 2 years, 4 months ago

That was my exact statement to the various people in my living room that night... "I haven't seen fans like this since Missouri left."

LLH 2 years, 4 months ago

Completely agree with you regarding the hype machine. Had ISU won the game the court would have been stormed and ESPN would have beat the horse to death with "Kansas Upset" highlights, completely ignoring the numerous other questionable calls that took place during the rest of the game. Did the league have an "aknowledgement" last year after the KU loss in Columbia? I think not, and THAT charge was the biggest flop I've ever seen. Consistency rarely rules the day, but here's to hoping one day it will. Just my two cents.

DrPepper 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, ISU fans have a rich history of being fantastic, supportive, knowledgeable basketball fans. It is a shame that a few here will use this one game to form their opinions.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, this one game has given KU fans ample ammunition to do so.

Also, find somewhere else to post.

monkeehawkSL8 2 years, 4 months ago

Find somewhere else to post, Adolph, is that you? Let me guess, your a REAL fan right? Did you light your wood stove with the constitution this morning?

Brak 2 years, 4 months ago

I guess you've never watched an ISU basketball game before, they have the same inferiority complex regarding Iowa that Kstate fans have for us. They also share another endearing trait of our little brother, the "boooooo". Fanbases "booooo" when they have no knowledge of what is really going on.

KUmtbiker 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree that coach Hoiberg is classy and I respect him so far. I haven't heard anything negative about him from KU fans. It's interesting however, to see how a fan base can change with success. For years ISU was a mid to lower achieving team, so of course the fan base was "nice" and "polite". The last few years, they're becoming more competitive overall. Will ISU fans stay "nice and polite", or are the fans at Monday's game indicative of what's to come with higher aspirations. I guess we'll see...

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

For years a mid to lower achieving team? ISU made the tournament four times in the 80's, five in the 90's - many times as the 2, 3, 4 or 5 seed, and were conference champs in 2000, 2001. Obviously Hoiberg has renewed their mojo, but ISU had significant success under Johnny Orr and Larry Eustachy. I would say, overall level of aspiration has remained fairly constant over the past four decades for ISU.

KUmtbiker 2 years, 4 months ago

You're talking 20 to 30 years ago - a generation ago. I'm not saying they have never had success, but they have usually finished middle of the pack, at best, in the Big 12... just like this year. I'm guessing the fans throwing things and threatening via twitter are not re-living the Johnny Orr days... although the guy who was storming after Self may have been.

KUmtbiker 2 years, 4 months ago

Bayhawkaholic: I was curious after I read your reply and found out that ISU only finished in the top half of the Big 12 / (Big 8) six times since 1993/94 season. They had 2 conference championships, but the other 4 times, they barely made the top half of the conference. Many times they were one of the bottom 3 teams.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 4 months ago

We got screwed at the end of the ISU game in 1996. Vaughn did not foul. Karma payback.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

Just two clowns out of hand on Twitter. Sounds like they're in hot water and won't be mouthing off like that again anytime soon. The fans there aren't so bad and plastic megaphones being thrown aren't too worrisome.

I will say one thing about ISU, though. I roomed with an ISU alum while doing an internship in DC right out of college. The guy was completely racist! He acted like he'd never known a black person in his life, and I think that may have been accurate. I told him about playing basketball with a group of mostly black guys in a relatively rough neighborhood and he wanted to know all about how they played and what it was like. It was almost comical how ignorant this guy was, and he was interning for an Iowa senator. Maybe he's his chief of staff now for all I know. Scary.

kufaninmo 2 years, 4 months ago

You didn't really depict anything racist about this guy though...?

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, forgot to mention his regular use of the N-word and a few other negative terms and his general attitude of dislike for anyone black. I recall him being certain that Steve McNair should not get drafted because he was too dumb to be an NFL qb. Nailed that one, huh?

yovoy 2 years, 4 months ago

The call at the end of the game could've gone either way. EJ missed the shot, and got his own rebound. He was fouled before the collision with Niang, anyway. You want to win? Rebound the ball.

The announcers were saying that "Dentures" (or "Chompers", whatever, #13) was "unstoppable" at one point in the game, or that KU didn't have an answer for him. Hell, he carried the ball twice on one possession to get baskets both times. If you let an offensive player do something against the rules to gain an advantage, that's bad officiating as well. The basket interference wasn't on K. Young either. Bad officiating that went ISU's way. Doubt they complained much about that.

Good game though.

Adam McEwen 2 years, 4 months ago

Bad calls against OSU and we still came out on top. Bad call on EJ in the championship, could have changed the game perhaps, but the better team wins, we don't whine about it, at least not too much. Kentucky was a better team than us, Iowa St. needs to just accept the fact that KU was the better team on Monday.

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 4 months ago

Death threats and racist remarks on twitter, a fan rushing HCBS and EJ is the one called classless for dunking during the game?

Eric TheCapn 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, because we have honor and respect. Let's keep it that way. Poor sportsmanship is definitely a lack of class.

These particular ISU fans were classless as well, but also threatening, abhorrent, evil and criminal.

doolindalton 2 years, 4 months ago

Crazy ISU fans are another excellent argument for background checks, Making terroristic threats I believe is a federal crime.

Michael Auchard 2 years, 4 months ago

I posted the stuff in the bottom comment with the additional info on that page...

Michael Auchard 2 years, 4 months ago

Classlessness all around in Ames, it seems.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

Yates what do you think the nation thinks Kansas' claim to fame is?

didjabuti 2 years, 4 months ago

The three most common I hear are The Wizard of Oz, Brown vs. The Topeka Board of Education (okay so that's usually just when I tell law students I'm from Topeka), and Kansas Jayhawks Basketball.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

A line from Barney Miller. "You know what's in Kansas? Whhheaatttt."

Eric TheCapn 2 years, 4 months ago

Is the Hawk Talk radio show on ESPN or... ?

Michael Auchard 2 years, 4 months ago

I removed it, man. I thought better of it.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

This weekend as an apology from Fran I want him to walk us through that play step by frame by frame, zooming in, and show us what Niang's right foot was doing.

BringBackMark 2 years, 4 months ago

I want to see the contact earlier before the supposed charge. EJ was clearly fouled with no call there.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Why not? There's a picture showing EJ clearly getting his arm raked just before impact. Let's hear Fran talk about that.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

FORGET THE FOOTTTTT!!!!! That didn't matter as he was falling / flopping trying to DRAW the charge anyway.

Negates the charge much as Jimmy Dykes brough up in the Tenn. / UF game the very next night on an EXTREMELY similar play in that game that he said was ERRONEOUSLY called a charge!!!

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Plus Niang did it all night. Refs will tend to stop giving guys who flop on every defensive stop a charge, especially if they are questionable. In other words, don't get too greedy and make a living at taking charges. It can backfire too. I really think EJ was in the air before he got set too. The ref allowed Niang to set up and saw the flopping motion. He then gave EJ the benefit after being in the air before the set. Lesson- Do not flop and make a living with charges. Its great to see a guy take a charge at a moment when it's needed most, but not to create a possible injury. We don't focus on the player charged with the charging foul. EJ was in the air and had his legs at Niang's chest after the set up.

Will the officials please review and learn what constitutes a charge? Please give the player with the ball something when a man set's up while the offensive player is in the air. Coaches need to teach this too. Stop taking floppy charges and expect something in return. I remember Young did this in recent game. I think he did 2-3 times and got it once. The refs started calling blocks. Niang is lucky a block wasn't called.

Jared Grillot 2 years, 4 months ago

Disagree, while I can't verify in a snapshot what angle his body is at, I sure as heck can see his foot off the floor in undeniable proof that he wasn't set. You can't be set if your feet are moving.

WETSUhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Fran, is not a classy enough guy to admit that he was wrong.

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

(1) The past 7 days have been so silly that silly titles fit: Conference Craziness dishes up a February Feast. It’s stupefying silly. It’s all you need to know that regular season games are just as fun as anything March serves up, and I do love me some March Madness with a large helping of a Final Four. Today I’m fat on KU hoops. Bloated. I dare not fast. There will be gorging.

Who here is going to disagree that the last Kansas trip to Oklahoma State wasn’t “epic”? Truly epic game, big time win, BAM! Naadir Tharpe finds the bottom of the net. When Releford slapped the ball down court in the final seconds I got dizzy and fell to the floor. Dizzy in the head, unable to stand. Two overtimes and the final score is 68-67. The biggest lead by either team was, what, 5 points? And how long would a multi-possession lead for either one of those teams last? KU grabs a survival win, at coaches alma mater, to keep life towards winning a 9th conference championship realistic.

TCU, welcome to Allen Fieldhouse.

Six days after beating Smart and Company in Stillwater we get the 2013 installment of the Jayhawk’s visit to Hilton Coliseum where the students at the end of the visitors bench wore T-Shirts that read “Breathe If You Hate Kansas”. I became obsessed, I texted and texted, I made screen grabs, I made comments, I could not sleep, and it still won’t stop. This one game has too many story lines, too many perspectives, too many facts:

• Let’s start with “The Program”: Coach gets his 500th win and all he cares about is getting this team better. He is in the all-time coaching top 10 for getting to 500 wins in games played and got most of them at the University of Kansas. Congrats to him, his staff, and the players.

• Elijah Johnson rises. EJ drops 27 points in the last 6 minutes of regulation and overtime. EJ calls it a blackout. I like Jaybate’s description of a lucid berserker feeling 4 dimensional space, like he could 'see' into the future on what must be done to win, which you'll find, if you haven't already, below Bedore’s article ‘Perfect Storm’. Just off the top of my head about EJ’s 11 minutes that shook Ames:

• Got to the rim at will in the half court with kisses off the glass or swishes.
  • 360 behind the back handles to break down the D then finish over defenders while in transition.
  • Jumping back onto the court just in time to catch and shoot a 3 in the corner.
  • Grabbing rebounds to race down court to assist or finish.
  • Game tying free throws.
  • 3’s.
  • Long 3’s.
  • Longer 3’s while the shot clock is running out with a catch, twist, swish.
  • ... There’s more, oh, there’s more...like EJ getting low, staying low, on the D end...

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

(2)• With Bruce Webber’s Kansas State Wildcat’s winning at home against 2-13 Texas Tech earlier in the evening KU needed to keep pace at 9-5 Iowa State for the conference lead. With the Jayhawk sweep of the season series against the Cyclones the pressure now turns on Kansas State: @Baylor, TCU, @OSU. Kansas has 2 games in Allen–West Virginia followed by Texas Tech–then KU too visits the Bears down in Waco. I like our schedule better. I like that we have the tie-breaker against KState for the 1 seed in the conference tournament. I like to think after the 3 game losing streak that Elijah Johnson’s team is going to finish focused and strong.

• Bill Self induces fire in Elijah Johnson who scores 39 in a single game which ties Paul Peirce’s high of 39 back in 1997. EJ and Paul, forever next to each other in the record books of KU basketball history, produced the highest scoring games by a Jayhawk since 1991 when Downtown Terry Brown made in rain for 42.

• Senior guard Travis Releford was nails, again.

• When a team decides to stop McLemore and Withey at all costs, Kansas has options.

• Kevin Young continues to sharpen his game, cleaning up the nasty, keeping the spirit alive and well.

• Perry Ellis’s jump shot is looking smooth and composed. He’s starting to get his on the offensive end and I’ve noticed a bit of a jump hook in his game recently too. Tharpe and Traylor round out the regulars off the bench who are developing confidence quite nicely, playing important minutes on the road, producing in tough venues.

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

(3)• Iowa State cashes in 17 three bombs to set a school record. The Cyclones hit 22 straight free throws on a night they put more points on the scoreboard than any other team in Bill Self’ tenure at Kansas. Iowa State, with the backing of Hilton Magic, still lost. Or, which I like a little bit better, Kansas still found a way to win.

• The Jayhawk’s snap the Cyclones 22-game home winning streak which was 3rd longest in the nation and, which I need to still fact check though I believe I saw the graphic, was their second longest in Iowa State Men’s Basketball school history. Does anyone know? Anyone? (pause) Bedore? (pause) Bedore? (pause) Bedore? (couldn’t help myself on that. I should know that only Bill Self can ask Bedore for fact checks)

• The game was so crazed that some ISU fans displayed their crazy - An uncomposed Cyclone fan, who happens to be a prominent booster for the school, confronts Bill Self on the sideline after the game and needs to be separated by a police officer. - The Internet is so fantastic that we knew very quickly who the uncomposed ISU booster is. He is Melvin R. Weatherwax, the youngest person in UPS history to become a division manager in their companies esteemed history http://bit.ly/YYoSpz When you ship to Iowa, be sure to ship FedEx! -There were Twitter Death Threats -A Death Squad was not gathered though one fan volunteered to lead one -Then there were the racial slurs for the player who had a historic night on their floor. Ames went mad I tell you, MAD!

• Stu Jackson, one of the ESPN anchors of SportsCenter which followed the game, drummed up multiple words of unkindness for Bill Self, calling him ‘cranky’ as an example, said he ‘needed a hug’. What Stu failed to recognize was that Self got the technical foul to light a fire under his team. Classy Stu. Real creative stuff for a coach who won his 500th game on that night.

• Out of all these story lines why does Stu chose to open SportsCenter with a shake of the head and groaning about officiating. Why? He can only parrot Fran F’s mantra that the officials needed to make a call with 6 seconds to go in regulation. Oh, that, again. So, ESPN SportsCenter, the supposed ‘leader in sports’, can only talk about the no call to lead off their broadcast. Someone please help these people before its too late.

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

wasn't it Stuart Scott? (I was listening, not watching.) If so, Scott is a Tarheel. He now works out of Bristol. He was probably pissy because Syracuse lost (again) so he was bandwagon-sulking. And again, no Carolina highlights to show.

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

(4)• The mighty fuss about officials.

• Hilton Magic turned into a nest of Boo Birds
  • The Boo’s were heard across the land and the people responded and responded and responded...
  • Television announcers recalled their angst from their coaching days and ground oversized axes.
  • Mayor Hoiberg spent time at half-court arguing a call that already was done, well in the past and in the books, instead of getting his players ready for the extra 5 minutes of overtime.
  • The Mayor, a cool customer with loads of integrity, goes to the middle of the court to keep arguing with the officials after the game is over and before getting into the hand shake line.

• The Mayor’s tyke cried a river.

• The Big XII coughs up a vague transcript about poor officiating in the last minute which creates another cascade of responses - By the people - By Duke alum’s at ESPN.com - By our own KUSports.com - The people keep responding, and clicks keep clicking and advertisemenst keep loading and I still can’t sleep!

• This game is proof, hard evidence, that Kansas wins and keeps on winning due to a conspiracy led by Big XII leadership and officials that rig each and every Big XII game. The only way to fix this conspiracy is if every school started to root really, really hard against KU because they simply to root hard enough against us as is. If you don’t know this to be true Kansas fans Powercat66 has some insight for you over on cyclonefanatic.com http://bit.ly/Y05Cpr You’ll find out that you are sexxxy.

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

(5)• Elijah’s last second dunk in OT

• Hudy applauded with smiles.
  • Releford and EJ celebrate while the bench erupts.
  • Joy is had all around for KU Basketball fans everywhere.
  • ISU students throw plastic megaphones at KU players as they leave the court.
  • Fans hung around after the game to ferociously boo EJ during his long, deserved ESPN interview.
  • EJ apologizes for the dunk on the ESPN Post-game interview AND it’s his first words about the game in his general press interview. – When I tell my sister, another KU alum, the whole story she gets the most excited after I tell the part “then Elijah gets the ball, starts dribbling up court in a sprint of excitement, ISU fans start booing, and then he dunks on them to finish with 39.” Kansas 108, Iowa State 96, OT.
  • Now that I know that 39 ties EJ with Paul for career highs, after the undue criticism he’s received from many, including our own KU faithful, I’m stoked he slammed that ball home for 39.

• I’m sure I missed something. I probably missed something very important. Has there been a wiki page created for this game yet? Maybe we need a Wiki-Week for these past 7 days.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 4 months ago

One correction,

it has been pointed out that the booing during EJ's interview with Holly Rowe was actually directed at the crazed ISU booster who attempted to tell off Coach Self as he was heading back toward the locker room.

If you watch the footage, none of the ISU fans are even looking at Elijah Johnson, they're all watching in the direction that Bill Self took off.

MimiHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I loved the way Elijah looked over at Coach Self when the booing started, thought about whether or not he needed to rescue his Coach, used ESP (Elijah's Sacred Power) to dispatch the cop instead, and continued on with his interview with Holly without missing a beat.

Kye Clark 2 years, 4 months ago

Great summarization! And thank you for posting the photo stills showing the movement of the ISU defender (as well as another ISU defender grabbing EJ's arm prior to contact) on the no-call.

Good stuff

KJD 2 years, 4 months ago

Cheers! I'm happy people enjoyed it. It's been good being a Jayhawk.

duanep5ku 2 years, 4 months ago

Hi KJD I enjoyed your posts,fun read.

Lindsey Buscher 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, ISU fans picking up right where Fizzou fans left off, soon to be on their way to the most hated fans in the conference. Will never be an actual "rival", but it's good to have someone to hate.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 4 months ago

Hate Kansas State. They fans are dumber than the rednecks in Ames, Iowa.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me if Weber sinks them back down to mediocrity. He's accomplishing things w/ F. Martin's players now like he did w/ Self's players in his early Illinois players.

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

ISU fans are only mad because they lost the game. Nothing else to it. There are people who are gracious in defeat and there are sore losers, it's as simple as that. I am glad he dunked the ball, and if they play in the Big XII Tournament, I hope he dunks it again!

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

If Fran was so upset over Young getting Withey's foul, how about this weekend Fran walks us through Withey's previous four fouls frame-by-frame and show us how exactly he earned them.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

THANK YOU!!!! Exactly how I felt. I felt like if any ONE player was MOST protected in this game it was Niang!!!! I didn't realize that suddenly Niang had become Dwyane Wade and should expect every call / no-call to go his way!!!!

Beate Williams 2 years, 4 months ago

The two free throws took the game into OT. What about the five minutes in OT that provided ISU an opportunity to win the game. Forget about regulation, let's play ball in OT and KU did just that.

I think Jay Bilas has it right, if a player has started his move to the basket and the defending player moves into his flight path that is not a charge, even if the player becomes set. Bilas has it right, it burns me when I see a player headed to the basket and then all of a sudden a Zoeller appears and everyone talks about how great a defensive move that was, it is not a great defensive move and most of the time it is simply a flop.

This was not a well officiated game but it went both ways (that's being polite, it's hard to say that it was equal when you consider the number of free throws ISU had vs the number KU had and it always appeared that ISU was ready to shoot the bonus and ISU only had 3 fouls) but all in all it was poorly officiated or since it was poorly officiated one might say neither team had an advantage, therefore, the officiating had no impact on the outcome of the game. The important thing here is the fact there were 5 extra minutes and the Jayhawks performed and ISU did not.

Bville Hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I remember a game back in Larry Brown's first season at KU. It was a heated contest and a call went against the Jayhawks. Some debris was thrown on the court. Coach Brown immediately called time-out, grabbed the PA announcers microphone, and said in a loud, very angry voice "Hey! We don't do that kind of stuff in our house!"

Nothing was thrown on the court the rest of the game (and I'm not sure any has been since then). Larry Brown doesn't always get the credit he deserves for his role in helping transform us from a good, 'wannabe' program, to one of the nation's elite both on the court and off.

The Mayor probably needs to do something similar at Ames before his fan base gets a bush league reputation.

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Too late, they officially joined the league Monday night.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Matt Tait is making calls, looking into this. Conference realignment just never sleeps.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah....we've booed at officials and been upset w/ opposing players or coaches....I'm sure there'v'e been some yells.....About the WORST thing I've heard of our crowd is simply the nationally prevalent "Bullshi!" chant after a bad call though.

I don't remember threats or confrontations and I don't know of anything thrown on our court in almost 30 years....other than just the beginnnig of game intros. when people used to (maybe they still do) tear up newspapers...maybe some of it got on the court.

BainDread 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, maybe we can thank Coach Brown for the relatively civility of AFH fans. Back in the 70s, games in AFH often had to be temporarily halted when KU fans threw things on the court after bad calls. It wasn't just a KU problem. It happened at a lot of schools in that era.

JayhawkRock78 2 years, 4 months ago

There are a few bad eggs in just about any basket. I had a roommate that was an ISU grad. Salt of the earth kind of guy. Hearing about those threats on twitter is not good, so I trust that will be dealt with. Otherwise, the ISU people I've known are good folks.

FearlessJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

There has been bad officiating ever since the game was invented. What makes it so noticeable now days is that you have all the instant replays; not only on TV but in the arenas as well. The broadcasters In the old days, most of the fans wouldn't have thought that much about it (half of them probably wouldn't have even seen the play). They would have booed for a few seconds but the game would go on they would forget about it; unless it involved some kind of altercation.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Heck, I was at school there in '91 - '98 and we didn't even have replay video boards back then. A lot of times after getting home I'd check the local cable replay to see if one that I was upset about - if they got it right or wrong.

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

The B12 really opened Pandora's box with this mess. They should siimply say, "We stand behind our officials and the call stands, right or wrong. The game is over and the officials will continue to call games as they see them."

This is only going to further cause the officials to make bogus calls. I would call every close call possible to avoid making a "no call." Then I'd be crucified for making ticky tack calls. Where does it end? The B12 needs to retract the call. It wasn't a reviewable call and should've never made it this far. KU has many negative calls in the past and most of the time they play and overcome those "bad calls."

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Here in St.Louis, the latest from the ever spinning rumor mill...the Big 10 is contemplating expanding to four divisions with five teams in each division. Kansas is targeted as one of the teams...and Missouri isn't.

I really don't really care if this is legit or started by some basement fanboy.. I love to see the Misery faithful in misery!!!

shelleysue 2 years, 4 months ago

I've seen ISU fans act very rudely at football games on a number of occasions. And some of the anti-Kansas shirts they wear are ridiculous and offensive. I would not say they are classy by any means. In fact, after the game my first words were "I think Iowa State is my new Missouri".

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I guess it all depends on your announcer! :)

If we'd've had Jimmy Dykes as our color guy and they HAD called that play a charge - he'd've been yelling from the rooftops that you can't have a foot sliding and be flopping and call it a charge. Then the SAME DOGGONE thing probably would've happened in reverse.

Of course, if they DID call it a charge and Frashilla's the one doing the call.....nothing.

A bit questionable reassigning Knight to do SEC games on Thursdays and having Fraschilla BACK on Big XII's Big Mondays again what w/ having a kid actually ON OU's roster.

Give me Jimmy Dykes!!!!! Fraschilla can be swapped out and do Super Tuesdays - the SEC installment.

shelleysue 2 years, 4 months ago

And ... it's D-1 athletics. Don't act like it's 3rd grade where everyone gets a medal. It's sports people. You know. Competitive sports. I don't understand why this kind of thing gets people so upset. I just wish he would have added a couple of back flips. I thought two things after the dunk. That it was a warranted celebratory act from a player who just had the best game of his career to help the Jayhawks win a crucial game, and that it was also a statement to Iowa State and all of KUs opponents.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Totally agree. You don't want to see him dunk then you better stop crying and stop him. I've never understood why people get upset about stuff like that. The backflip is the same thing. Who cares? We lost. Let him flip.

dylans 2 years, 4 months ago

How many teams win in Allen Fieldhouse? Smart was overcome with joy. KU could've stopped the backflip by winning. ISU could've stopped the dunk by playing better.

mikehawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I think the Big 12 has set a dangerous precedent coming out and addressing the call publicly like that. Any call during any time in a game can end up being one that affected the outcome of any game. You just have to trace it back far enough. Dealing with the referees and their scores and grading in house, and let it be at that. To do it the way they have done it, makes it just a little harder to find the people willing to do the thankless, and necessary job of officiating. Is the league going to publicly make statements like that every time a late call "affects the outcome" of a game? Do they believe bias or unfairness is at the core of the call? If so, the referee needs to be removed. Player control fouls are the most difficult and thankless calls to make in any sport, and referees get them right and wrong all the time, thanks to the hindsight of instant replay. If they are going to be held to the standard of being publicly criticized for one call like that, they should be given the option of going to the replay to help them. Do we really want that? As far as the Big 12 making public comments, a comment from them to all schools that fan profanity (there are children present), player abuse from the fans, racial remarks, and physical threats toward players and coaches will not be tolerated. Now that would be the right thing for the league to address. Bill Self, as always, handled it with his usual grace and dignity. I am sure the whole of ISU fans and alums are embarrassed. Elijah should not have dunked. That was stupid. But he immediately apologized publicly. Has ISU apologized for the behavior of their fans? Or have they decided the behavior was justified based on the call and the dunk? Hey KU faithful, I think we have our new Missouri. Be careful ISU. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Big 12 only made that statement for one reason-to appease espn & the money flow generated from them. They could care less about the call either way. If you look at the frame by frame replay of the charge/block in question, Niang's left foot was still moving when EJ was in flight. No call. As for the grab on the floor, the ref on the baseline was in great position & made the call he saw. And you are absolutely 100% accurate-it should be dealt with in house & not as a soundbite on sportcenter. That in itself makes it sound as if no one played worth a krap in this game & is an absolute travesty. No matter how it ended this was was one for the ages & the kids on both teams deserve more credit than they've recieved. Johnsons dunk at the end has been given too much play also. He probably got a chew from his coach on that one, but there's not a damn thing wrong with it. Personally I'd have rather see him lob up a 3 & knock it in off the backboard, & then say "Oh hell, did I do that?"

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Truth is, the entire world is rampant with extreme nut cases, not just ISU, KSU or misery. What I can't understand is why rules regulations, & laws are only put in place after some idiotic sicko goes off. Is a testament of the complete lack of vision of policy makers, & that people who lead are totally inept. There are many board rats on here that display more brilliance that most politicians. And in the lion's share of these instances, comes the surprising revalation that, so & so was being treated for depression, or was on illegal drugs, or alcohol was involved, or whatever. In some states the govt owns the alcohol business, while in others a bartender can be charged for serving a clown too much liquor. What's wrong with this pic? Drs prescribing behavioral drugs get a pass, the state govts get a pass, & an un educated server is the culprit? Please! Can there will ever be enough safeguards in place to prevent this type of behavior in a free society? Doubtful IMO. But when it gets close to one's own turf, joe public gets a knee jerk political reaction which is usually like pi$$ing on a fire. Bill played this deal off, but you bet it got his immediate attention at the time. Until leaders recognize that they have to be more intelligent instead of sitting on their cushy, fat rear ends,drawing huge salaries, unbelievable perks, & lifetime pensions, these simple freedoms and enjoyments will continue to be windows of opportunity for disasters. I'm sure there are a few crackpots in AFH on gameday too. But when safety & security measures are reactionary and not visionary, public figures, athletes, hell anyone of us are potential targets. I hope the law goes after those imbasilic tweeters & lays terroristic threat charges on them and the "big booster" with the pea brain gets his tickets revoked at te very minimum. Is a plain truth fact it only takes one fruitcake to change the scope of this entire nation and AD's, Big 12 administrators, politicians, and leaders at every level are in place to prepare for this krappy behavior. We don't need any more commissions or depts created-there are certainly enough already. When these people begin to use their heads for more than a damn hat rack, maybe a tragic event or two can be avoided, however none of us should be holding our breath & waiting. JMO.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Maybe even court rushing should be looked at as a poential disaster-I don't know. But you see live performers in other entertainment venues get protected & stage inscursions are dealt with severly. This is a different world now, polices & rules should be reviewed & revised as an ongoing project, & not after some prozak crazed moron goes public with his agenda.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

First of all, EJ didn't lower his shoulder, a key fact. Niang's right foot still sliding over as EJ was airborne. By rule not a charge and in fact, a blocking foul. Two shots for EJ.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

I went to the Des Moines Register (I've always thought it was a respectable paper) to see what they were saying. Their headlines talked about the bad call. Of course their fans were mostly in agreement. Some said, forget the call, we never should have been in that position in the first place. One particularly obnoxious poster was adament that ISU is KU's equal, Hoiberg is Self's equal if not better, another that all Self does is whine, that's why he's won 500 games. One entire article was on Forde's Yahoo article saying the refs blew the call and should be severely punished.

Lost in the shuffle about this officiating crew is that they were completely bamboozled by Young taking Withey's 6th foul. We've all seen players attempt such things, and I suppose it's worked, but I'm not sure if it ever happened in such an important moment in a game to such an important player. It's hard to imagine how the rest of the game might have gone without Withey, when he did finally foul out it was pretty much over.

And I'm sure Self has forgotten many of his 500 wins and could tell you little about them, but this one he'll remember for the rest of his life, as we probably will too.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Well the three photographic sequence is there if ISU ever wants to look at them. When I first saw it I thought it was a charge too. After further review I'll give credit to the referees in that last sequence. The Withey's thing is fine as long as ISU fans admit two of his first four fouls were not properly called. Oh and if they will discuss their players tricking the refs into the goaltending call.

hawkhoops 2 years, 4 months ago

How many free throws did ISU shoot in about a 9 second span at the end?

This whole thing is so dang stupid. They are acting like that one call was the only one that was wrong all night. Like so many are saying....watch the entire game and see how many calls were wrong. One call did not determine the outcome of the ball game. If that call had been made in the first half, we wouldn't be talking about it. Oh wait, just like the wrong calls that were made in the first half aren't being talked about.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

I'd be surprised if those tweeters could not be charged with a hate crime & terrorst threats under federal law. Also those penalties are very signifigant.

monkeehawkSL8 2 years, 4 months ago

Did anyone see PTI yesterday. Both Tony & Mike, "ISU got hosed". Plan and simple, "KU,UK,Duke,NC,UCLA are always the recipients of these calls". How many times did espn run inside kentucky @ the beginning of the year? 20,30 times?

What their 90 seconds of in depth reporting did was tell viewers that we an unfair advantage. Talk about stirring the pot before the tournament begins. I can just see the staff meeting before the show went on. "Come on folks, this is the perfect spring board to get the tourney off on the wrong foot, lots of fan hostility. The refs will have to go into witness protection, our numbers will go through the roof"!

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Refs / ESPN / NCAA committee picking their upset teams now.

Sure to WANT KU to lose and will try everything in their power to have some feel good story like Nate Wolters and South Dakota St. take us out or something.

Maybe Duke gets victimized too given their listing of UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky & KU. Yeah, cherry-pick the winningest programs and discredit everything that they've done and say that it's all because "they get teh calls".

What a bunch of b.s.!!!

Joe Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep- It's ridiculous, regardless of this game.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

You're likely correct they're cryin' because they're pi$$ed-they have the Not Important Tournament.

Bob Bailey 2 years, 4 months ago

Too much conversation about too little a subject!

If you can remember way back when, the official position was that you have to be good enough to surpass incompetent officiating.

We were! We did! Keep it up!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

This was a case of the The Big 12-2 bowing before pressure from E$PN to justify the incessant rantings of their broadcast team.

Although, quite frankly, I am sure that if the tables were turned and we lost this game in Allen under these same circumstances, the din of dissent would be earth shattering------------minus the racial slurs, death threats, coach abuse and hurling of projectiles at the opponent.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

However there are pictures. Initially KU fans would have booed. But the pictures are right there for all to see. EJ getting fouled on the drive, Niang not set, a blocking foul not being called, Niang grabbing his arm and the whistle blowing before Tharpe dribble in and hit the shot for OT. It's all there in the photos. As many boos as there would have been initially, KU fans would have come around after seeing the evidence in black and white. ISU fans are more than welcome to respond about Withey's early fouls but they never do. We all know he fouled the guy. But we all openly discuss two of his fouls weren't fouls. Amazingly no one else wants to discuss that because they know we're right! No one from the other schools want to discuss the goal tending call either! I wonder why?

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Musbuger's game calls are so antiquated & pathetic he should have been gone years & years ago & Frashilla is another EX coach that's so smart no one will hire him. Plus FF is a regular on the e$pn EX perts with other fired EX coaches, crooked Bruce Pearl, whiney Niel Dougherty, & know nothing, never put on a jock journalist (debatable), Andy Katz. At least coach Knight will call a spade black & doesn't care who he exposes or ticks off-wish he still did BG12 games, as the lesser of the evils.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 4 months ago

You can't argue with these people. KU fans don't blame a basketball loss solely on poor officiating or one horrific call. Bottom line...Iowa State had opportunities to put KU away, and they didn't. Their strategy is not beneficial in close games....period.

And to the fans...thanks for adding fuel to the fire by showing your true colors. I'm not a fan of generalizations, but we had one middle-aged fan restrained by security, debris thrown at our players BY MULTIPLE FANS, and digital racism and freakin death threats.

I say label away. These people don't deserve our sympathy, apologies, or mercy. Elijah Johnson's dunk is proving to be more and more necessary and validated.

PUTCHA SHOES ON.....AND ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!!

JJHAWK 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually - I hope that when we get beat the other fans continue storming the court. It is a really large complement - beating us really means something. To them, they (at least for a day) killed the giant. For us, we are still feared (read national power).

I mean how many times has opponents stormed the court after beating TCU? Just my thoughts.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I STRONGLY hope that the only reason that Kansas fans would rush the court is that if there was a ginormous pile of money at center court and they said " OK - come and get it folks ".

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

How would Iowa State's fans handled it if EJ did a back flip? I thought overall KU's fans handled OSU's backflip pretty well. Disrespectful we all said maybe but mostly it was a freshman who was excited. Overall I still don't have problems with any of the other teams in the Big 12 now that MU is gone. I know some really want to beat us but that comes with the territory. I saw a fan on a different website yesterday saying KU has been getting breaks in basketball for over a hundred years because of the inventor. I think a lot of what we have seen is just frustration from several groups not associated with KU, who really simply want us to lose. When they see the three pictures in a row with Elijah going to the goal they don't want to respond because it shows their argument isn't valid. When they see Elijah on the ground with the ball passing it out with Niang's arm grabbing EJ they don't want to discuss that either. When it's mentioned that the whistle blew just as Tharpe caught the ball with an easy shot to put it into OT, they don't want to talk about that. Keep in mind without that whistle he takes a dribble and hits a 5 footer and we're in OT. It's a bunch of frustrated fans from other teams. I think we can relate to their pain. Many of us might have called that play a charge initially too. Looking at the closeup pictures it's obvious the referees did get it half right to have a no-call. It was by definition a blocking foul, which would have given EJ two shots. The best thing we can do is say good game and move on. It's time to get ready for WV @ AFH. Anymore conversation comes up in the future just show them the picture of EJ driving the lane or the picture that clearly shows Niang wasn't set. The picture is all we need. Just say good game. Missouri and their fans are gone, thankfully. Now we just play basketball and show class.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 4 months ago

I want to share something posted on The Phog from a UNC fan:

"I want to preface what I'm about to post by saying that I strongly dislike KU. The 2008 FF still stings and the venom all of their fans STILL spew at Roy has made me lose all respect (for which I previously had a lot of) for their program.

Having said that, I'd like to address the Johnson dunk at the end of overtime....LOVED it!!

The Kansas's, Carolina's, & Kentucky's get every "Iowa State's" best shot no matter how lost their season may or may not be. Programs who usually can't fill their arenas if they were giving away tickets, get all amped up and pull crap out of their &%@ (case in point, ISU hitting 17 3's tonight) just so they can turn around three days later and put on a complete shnoozer against the next Directional Michigan they play. I know it comes with the territory but it gets old and it's annoying.

So when Elijah Johnson throws down the tomahawk with 2 seconds left and the game in hand, everyone get their panties in a wad, puts the kid on blast, and says 'why rub it in?'. Well you know what Iowa St. would've done had they won?? They would've rubbed it in just the same by rushing the court. ESPN, local news channels, and every other media outlet would've replayed this 1000 different times by tomorrow afternoon. Hell, Iowa St would've hung pictures all over campus and around town, show replays of the court storming for 20 years, etc. At least EJ's dunk will only be trending on twitter for about 30 mins and we might have to put up with Screamin A. Smith and Skip Bayless discuss it for a segment or two. Big deal.

So I have no problem when the blue bloods of college bball going into an opponents gym and remind everyone just who they are with an authoritative ending. "Oh you wanted to storm the court, did you?? Suck on this..." BOOM!!

If we are fortunate enough to play a game of this intensity and be on the winning end against Clemson on Thursday night, I hope PJ does the exact same thing if the opportunity presents itself. Even though I know it will cost him a few extra sprints on Friday."

I think this is a fantastic point, and it is becoming more and more validated.

RJ King 2 years, 4 months ago

Great stuff, but the post sounds more like a Jayhawk in Tar Heel clothing. :-)

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

"Oh you wanted to storm the court, did you?? Suck on this..." BOOM!!

Priceless!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

If that was really from a UNC fan, he (or she) is my new favorite UNC fan! Rock Chalk

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

What is "The Phog" and do you have a link?

okiedave 2 years, 4 months ago

The Iowa boosters wife is standing there helpless while her husband is making a fool of himself. You can image in the constant conversation on the way home..;. "you embarrassed me -- why do you always do stupid things like that...."

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Melvin Weatherwax?

I'm sorry, but you can't be tough with that name. It's impossible. You can be a dorky character in a kids book. You can be a nasally, uptight dweeb. You could even be a quirky weatherMAN, but you cannot be a tough guy.

Between the name and that McDonald's uniform he's so fond of, http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics15/640/CZ/CZQZMDKIVKYNSGH.20071213162446.jpg I'd be surprised if he could get two feet out the front door before getting his butt kicked.

Bill Self by arm-bar submission 35 seconds into round one.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

That's figure 4 damnit, i hate using this phone !

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

The figure four grapevine hold made famous by the infamous Buddy Rodgers..the villian with the long flowing blonde locks!!

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

We were wayback there with Buddy, Oakville. Vern Gagne, Georgeous George, the Shiek. I remember them well. When I walked in Millers Pub downtown Chicago the first time there's a huge B&W of Dick the Bruise on the wall of REAL celebrities. In fact one of my oldest friends & best damn welder I ever worked with, wrestled in the mid & late 70's under the name The Avalanche, Buzz Tyler, of course not his real name. Hands down, absolutely the funniest guy I've ever known. Was from Myrlte beach & sounded just like Jerry Clower, and I mean Identical. One of his legs was bigger than me. He said Ernie Ladd broke 3 of his ribs the first time they met. He carried a pic in his wallet of the worlds fattest twins-the McGuire brothers, each with a arm around his shoulders. Was a pallbearer at one's funeral & said they had to bury him in a piano crate cause no casket was big enough.He also said Harley Race & he hated each other for real. Back in the 80's when my nephew pinned Race's boy in about 30 sec I thought he was going into a roid rage when I hollered at him "Buzz woulda liked that one." Those were the days Oak, we never thought we'd ever get old. But getting older also means you have a better understanding of when to bite the lip.Harley was hottern' little sisters a$$.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Ran into Harley at the Sortshow in KC afew years later & he gave me a hateful glare as if he remembered. Surely not though, he was just drug angered all the time.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Ran into Harley at the Sportshow in KC afew years later & he gave me a hateful glare as if he remembered. Surely not though, he was just drug angered all the time.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually I was thinking Ronda "Rowdy" Rousey.

Very dangerous woman!

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Melvin is a ringer for Elmer Fudpucker. And I thought there could only be one.

Kevin Crook 2 years, 4 months ago

Elijah ran him over, and the kid flopped, and the kid's feet were not set. That block/charge play is ridiculous. That call would normally have gone against Elijah, and it would have been a bad call then too. No one who is ranting about that call cares about the ISU guard pulling Elijah's arm across his body...there are rarely calls made in the paint at the end of games. If a kid flies into the paint, like Elijah did, he will almost never get the benefit of a call even if he gets nearly decapitated. Elijah got bailed out a little, but yes there were a multitude of bad calls, that was just one of the last ones in regulation so it stands out more. The problem is that college basketball has become too rough and too physical and sloppy. The NBA is actually cleaner now, contact-wise.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey you wrasslin' fans, name your favorite wrestler and the hold that made them famous!! For me, it's Cowboy Bob Ellis and the Texas Bulldog Headlock!!!

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

I liked Haystack Calhoun & The Big Splash.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

Ronda Rousey. That chick is a nightmare!

Okay, straight wrasslin'?

Harley Race. Don't know what move made him famous, but I used to watch him and Bulldog Bob Brown all the time. Back when wrassler's were fat, harry, burnt out drunks in dirty underwear. Good stuff.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh my - those names bring back some memories. I used to love the announcer - Bill Kersten. And Omar Atlas, Rufus R Jones, Jesse Ventura (yeah, that one), Dr Ramey and the Interns - those guys used to beat each other up so bad it looked like a college basketball game !!

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

RUFUS!! The Junkyard Dog!! I'll never forget the chain.

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

Rufus R Jones, LOL. Wasn't his big defensive move where his opponent would have him with both arms from behind and big fat old Rufus would start shaking so hard they couldn't hold on?

Then there was Chief Wahoo McDaniels, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Gerry Lawler, Jake the Snake, Stacey Kiebler... Just making sure you were still paying attention...

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Jesse & his brother were both Navy SEALS-govt certified for real bad a$$e$. See if you can find Jesse's book, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed. Some of it is funny as hell. Tells about how Hulk snitched himout to Vince trying to organize wrestling so they could get benefits, health care, retirements, etc. Before that they were ring adversaries but great friends. Afterwards, not at all. Said one of the great things about being governor was having the option to be the one to throw the electric chair switch on some baby-raping murderer. Funny sheet if you can find it. I found it at the public library.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Vern Gaugne used the Sleeper which I always thought was cool. A normal breakfast for Haystack was 3 dz eggs, 2 lb bacon, 20-30 pancakes, loaf of bread & half gallon of milk. He weighed around 650. Happy Humphery was bigger but Haystack was "more agile." The Splash was a leap from the top turn buckle with a belly buster on a disabled opponent. For that size he moved fairly well but the opponents never did afterward. LOL.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

I remember when we worked for old Harry Darby, he'd let Buzz fish in ponds on his property. Was hilarious watching him stuff guys in trash barrels when they mugged him sayin wrestling was fake. Another pipefitter I worked with at Royals stadium stuffed Marty Pattin in a can out in the bullpen once. True stuff, Oak, funny as hell. I asked Buzz once if he knew what the Big "A" was, the massive custom crop sprayer made by Caterpiller in the 70's. His reply was "Are you making reference to my big a$$, or your little skinny butt?" Great comedians always lookreal funny and his Clower like, Marcell Leadbetter Carolina drawl was just the icing for the cake.What a jewel.

2 years, 4 months ago

Bruiser Brody (R.I.P) with brawling, and Sgt. Slaughter with the cobra clutch :^)

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow, Bruiser Brody-forgot about him, kind of a villain, but still likable him. Much more so than Ravishing Rick Rude. The Iron Sheik had the "Camel Clutch". What the heck was the name of the guy with the mullet & 2 x 4? Always giving the thumbs up waving the American flag and yelling Hey Oh, or something like that. Then there was Andre the Giant.

2 years, 4 months ago

You wouldn't be thinking of Hacksaw Jim Duggan would you?

Andre the Giant was another wrasslin' legend who died too early in life.

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

I followed Fritz Von Eric and then his 3 sons back when I lived in Tejas. Favorite villain was Baron von Raschke with his "Iron Claw" hold.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

I just woke up from a short nap thinking about Fritz, you just gave up your age. Then I know you remember Bo Bo Brazile too. Wilbur Snyder? Lou Thez? Billy & Benny McGuire, the world's fattest twins? Damn we're old!

bad_dog 2 years, 4 months ago

Jake the Milkman Milleman, Lou Albano; there's a couple more that got jogged loose. Speaking of naps, I recall going to a match in West Tejas one time. Can't recall whether it was in Midland or San Angelo. Joe Louis was the celebrity referee so you knew somebody was going to sleep. Sure as if it been pre-written, one of the wrestlers copped an attitude with Joe and got lit up (at least it looked that way to a 6th grader...)

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Sonny meyers.

Definitive.

The Ox.

Brief but memorable.

Texas Bob Brown and Bob Geigle.

Heavies in tag team.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep, Sonny Meyers was always one ofthe quieter good guys. Did he use a sleeper hold also?

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

My old friend Buzz Tyler, real name David Sawyer, used to team with Brown after Giegle got too old to get i the ring. Funniest damn guy I've ever known. Could do Jerry Clower impersonations as good as Jerry. Buzz wieghed in about 350 when we worked together at Darby's shipyards & railyards. Most likeable guy on Earth too. Old man Darby used to let Buzz catch bass in his ponds. Only non family person allowed on the property. When he showed me his pic with Billy & Benny McGuire, they were so enormous it made him look like a dwarf. Damn he was funny. No matter what krappy job we caught together he was a hoot to work with. Someone would smck a railcar wheel with a balll peen & it sounded like the bell in the ring-Buzz went into his act-sucked the bridge back in his mouth, started convulsing & shaking his hea & shoulders, then he snatch somebody. You talk about an Ox, geeze he was strong. He literally made people laugh to tears with some of the shenanigans he pulled. Really neat & funny man, what a card.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 4 months ago

He enjoyed turning a guy upside down like a salt shaker & totally emptying his pockets on the ground. One thing for sure, once he every got a hold of someone they never lipped off anymore.

WisconsinJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I hate that national media types watch an 4-scond clip on one part of one play (maybe 2 if they watched and included the Withey foul given to Young) and think they know enough to say who did or did not get hosed by refs in that game. You think Kornheiser and Wilbon watched the entire game? Hell no! But they spout off just the same. It's lazy, and it's lame.

We all probably remember the charge call against Elijah in the Kentucky game, FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! A bad call and we paid a heavy price, but most of the KU fan reaction was "yes, that was a bad call and we might have won it if not for that, but we should have never been in the position that one bad call can end our chances to win." We have too much pride as a program to blame anyone other than ourselves for losing a game, even one with bad calls. Excuses are for losers.

Cyclone fans have all the MORE reason to have taken that tone considering WE had some bad calls against us too, AND they STILL had the last shot in regulation and a full overtime in which to play better than KU, and win.

Like Memphis in 2008, I could SEE by looking at the body language and facial expressions of the ISU players (shaking their heads, blank looks) after the end of regulation that they lost heart. I KNEW we were going to win. I could see it in the faces of the opponent. THAT is not the kind of strength of character that winners have.

KRIMSONANDBLU 2 years, 4 months ago

rockchalkchampionship 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't know if you guys have seen this yet but it looks pretty clear to me who the foul should have been on. by rockchalkchampionship

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

His right toe is barely down there and EJ is already airborne. This shows even more, there's another one from 1/30th of a second sooner showing his right foot nowhere near that block. Thanks for the confirmation.

Jake Waddle 2 years, 4 months ago

Consider yourselves lucky you don't have to live in Iowa... i'm just glad the rest of the nation is finding out why i've hated isu since i was old enough to make my own decisions. They have always been the first to call/text when/IF KU loses in the tourney, the first to become the biggest uni fans in history, and the first to not care when their team sucks. These last two days have been very enjoyable. Their complaints about KU being the most classless team ever quickly turned to putting full blame of an entire game on one call (once I started referencing these stories). Its calmed a bit today, and they are almost back to the full realization that their team is the 4th best team in an average conference and they'll more than likely lose in the 2nd round of the ncaa tourney. I hope KU gets the chance to beat them again in the Big XII Tournament!!

2 years, 4 months ago

Are they still upset we beat them out for Kirk Hinrich? :-)

2 years, 4 months ago

Not sure ISU had a chance with them. I think we beat out the Hawkeyes for those two.

Jake Waddle 2 years, 4 months ago

ha good points! ... Raef is the reason I'm a Kansas fan!

WisconsinJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I enjoyed the ISU fan on cyclonefanatic who said they'd be OK with the immediate break-up of the Big 12 if it left KU out of a major conference and in the trash heap of irrelevancy along with them. HE referenced us joining them in obscurity!

Love that about KSU fans, Mizzou fans, and now ISU fans... they'd be okay with being sht themselves as long as they could make KU turn into sht. Their biggest success is our failure.

A lot of ISU fans now saying they hate KU and all their classless fans, that we are their most-hated team evar. We had the audacity not to agree with them in things we posted on ESPN!

Well, suck it ISU-- we'll be glad to have you as our rivals, since our real rival left the conference and our other pretend rival KSU is so pathetic that it is hard to get excited about even playing them any more. ISU is usually not too bad in basketball, and certainly a worthy opponent hen playing in Ames. I for one am glad you'll be mad and throwing a hissy fit next time you see us.

I hope your dreams come true and you DO see us again this year. A third defeat for you would be even better, and might shut you the hell up. Calls, good and bad, are part of the game. It's called basketball. Learn about it. It's really a neat way to keep fit in the winter.

GortHawker 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought the no call was the rite call, I mean does the rule say there has to be a call one way or the other every time? Holding was the rite call, Coach Self is big enough to take care of himself, I'd go back to back with him any time in any bar.

WisconsinJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

The refs had just let the Lucious arm-grab go ("refs shouldn't decide the game!") so they couldn't really call the proabably-a-foul on Johnson a half second later. The no call on Johnson was a continuation of the no-call sequence. The final call was probably a "well, it WAS a foul on Niang and we probably should have just called the arm-grad on Lucious in the first place" call.

I went to the KU-ISU game in Ames 2 years ago when the Morrii were playing and found ISU fans to be pretty nice at that time. I don't know what happened to them.

There are idiots in every fanbase so I don't blame ISU fans for some idiot making threats or making racial slurs... but add to that the pelting of KU players with trash, and an angry rich middle-aged dude charging the KU coach, and, well, you have to admit it was not just "one" incident and thus probably does reflect something about the fans.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

I think generally most big 12 fan bases are just fine now that Missouri is gone. Obviously it got way out of hand the other night and a couple racists were discovered which surprised me. Those two probably lost a lot of friends. The booster obviously had a lot of passion but surely feels ashamed. In retrospect many of those ISU fans look at the pictures now and realize they were wrong just as many of us do. Initially I thought it was a charge too and had no idea EJ had been accosted going to the goal. Had no idea Niang was moving do dramatically at the last split second to get to the right spot. Haven't studied if it was a flop but apparently the ESPN announcer of the Florida game last night felt Niang flopped and also wasn't to the spot yet. Well the pictures prove it. Overall the 99% of the good people in the big 12 will come around even if they never look at the pictures. Most fans in the big 12 are just fine. It was an interesting look at how much Iowa State wants to get over the hump though. As KU fans we've for the most part respected them and OSU especially. There's just no other Missouri. Iowa State fans had a bad night and understandably so. Not until I saw the pictures and got Fran's voice out of my head could I see the referees actually only missed a couple calls at the end. EJ getting grabbed and Niang with a blocking foul that wasn't called. The evidence is right there in the photos. Maybe Fran will apologize this weekend after seeing them.

Jim Johnson 2 years, 4 months ago

I would hope this never happens in AFH but then I never thought it would happen at ISU either. I've always thought of ISU as being a class act and I hope they are from now on. But it does show that there is passion for a sport I love and that is good.

Jim Johnson 2 years, 4 months ago

I would hope this never happens in AFH but then I never thought it would happen at ISU either. I've always thought of ISU as being a class act and I hope they are from now on. But it does show that there is passion for a sport we love and that is good.

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm really having to restrain myself from bringing up things related to concealed carry and this lunatic fan. I know, I know, too political.

AsadZ 2 years, 4 months ago

I was unable to watch the game. I watched the recording but too bad my DVR was set for 2.5 hrs so it stopped recording at 2.5 min mark in OT. I am still in disbelief what I saw, amazing shots made by EJ. He looked liked a completely different player than what I had been seeing up until now in the season. He was so quick on both ends of the floor. He just looked very comfortable out there. I also noticed that some of his best moves came when he was playing at the 2 position. Perhps HCBS should implement this strategy more going forward. I am still in total awe though.

With that said I am disappointed in Ben M. I mean he was a non-factor. He disappeared in the game. He only took 6 shots. Come on Man. He should be full of confidence but it appears that he is still not comfortable playing on the road. I hope this does not drop his stock value. There were a lot of scouts in the arena and I was hoping he would play well. He needs to be in attack mode all the time.

I caught EJ's dunk highlight on ESPN and while I did not see it live I am totally OK with it. He was not trying to run up the score. He was simply putting a dominating finishing touch to an emotionally charged come from behing victory while playing his last game at Hilton C.

Great Job EJ. You did not have to apologize to anyone.

Kevin Huffman 2 years, 4 months ago

Couple of things there.

1) NO most plays actually did NOT occur w/ EJ as the "2"...they occurred with him as the "1"....for most of "crunch time" it was the starting 5. Tharpe only went in after Young fouled out.

2) McLemore was nonexistent because he was their one main focus defensively. Everyone else they left alone on the perimeter but him. Secondly, defensively, he was also probably the biggeset victim on some of those moving screens that set up some wide open 3's. I swear he got pushed all the way down to near the basket on McGee's first made 3.

Brian Skelly 2 years, 4 months ago

A few thoughts I had about the topics de jour here...

1) the "dunk" EJ had at the end of the game in my mind, at the time and now, struck me more as EJ having a sense of "FINALLY" and a sense of relief than anything else. Im quite sure ISU fans dont see it that, and quite frankly thats understandable. Im sure he also realized he had the game of his life and putting a cherry on top seemed appropriate. Im not gonna get to upset about it, and if ISU fans are losing sleep over it then its on them.

2) I dont have angst about the Big 12's public questioning of the officials that a lot of folks do here. Why? Because like most things in the internet/board posting/twitter/24 hour news cycle era its simply blather. It's all part of the driving of news. And weather the Big 12 wants to believe it or not, they're a big part of that. Nothing will happen to these refs at all, other than maybe a notch or two dings in their normal rotation. It's the ever present concept -- "someone in charge has to do SOMETHING" -- even though that something is merely a press release that will be forgotten by all come Saturday's games.

3) My guess is those two ISU guys who's twitter accounts were shut off will be in hiding for awhile. It's not hard to find personal information on people nowadays. These guys will be off the internet for awhile. Im quite sure what shame they feel and scorn they'll have put upon them -- likely by folks they know as well -- will do wonders. But odds are, it wont change them unless they're unemployed because of it.

Jeff Coffman 2 years, 4 months ago

If you took a drink every time there was a bad call in that game, there would be a lot of drunk people!

WisconsinJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Only the one particular call out of dozens counts. You'd think from the press it was getting that play gave us the win in regulation, and that 2 points were awarded to us instead of having to shoot free throws, instead of ISU having the last possession in regulation and five minutes of overtime to overcome that one call.

Repeat: only ONE call in the game counts. It's the call that occurred 5 minutes and five seconds before the game ended.

rockwall 2 years, 4 months ago

In the past, KU has security with the coach. Fernando, I think was the gentleman's name that would escort the coachs (football and basketball) in and out of arena or the field. Were is that presence? I'm guessing Mel might not have had that sudden burst of courage if a security presence was in tow.

I have always wondered why KU has not had Kansas Highway Patrolman with the coach's at road games. You always see them in the South. If places like Iowa State can't control their crowd, an armed presense is needed for these situations. I'm also surprised that travel to and from the games is not protected by the Kansas Highway Patrol.

BTW: The wife looks scared to death, guessing this is normal behavior for Little Mel in public and at home.

Krohnutz 2 years, 4 months ago

So has ESPN discussed that Fran has a dog in this race?

rockwall 2 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Just think about 16300 at every game whether there is a snowstorm raging or not. Only about 3-4 places in the country can claim that.