Thursday, August 15, 2013

Johnson signs one-year deal to play with team in Poland

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson encourages strong play from his teammates against Texas Christian during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former Kansas University basketball combo guard Elijah Johnson has signed a one-year contract with Anwil Wloclawek, a professional team based in Wloclawek, Poland.

The 6-foot-4, 195-pounder from Las Vegas, who averaged 9.9 points and 4.6 assists last season for 31-6 KU, joins Central Florida’s Keith Clanton, who also signed with the Polish League team this week. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“This is a player with great potential with an athletic physique and strength,” Anwil coach Milija Bogicevic said on the team’s official website. “These advantages can be used not only in attack (on offense) but also on defense which in our European basketball is very important. In recent years, regularly playing in the NCAA (tournament) ... this is another important experience for players like Johnson,” Bogicevic added.

Johnson on Thursday texted a message to the Journal-World to pass onto supporters prior to his traveling to Poland.

“I love KU and all our fans. The fieldhouse is the best stage, yet. ‘Pay Heed All Who Enters,’’’ wrote Johnson. He played for the Los Angles Clippers in the Las Vegas NBA Summer League, averaging 4.2 points and 1.2 assists per game.

Former KU guard Travis Releford also has a one-year pro contract for the coming season. He’ll play for Okapi Aalstar, a team in Belgium.

Rally tonight: The eighth-annual KU Kickoff at Corinth Square (83rd and Mission Road in Prairie Village) will run from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., today. KU basketball coaches Bill Self and Bonnie Henrickson, track coach Stanley Redwine and football coach Charlie Weis will address the fans at the rally. The cover band Sellout! will perform from 7 to 10 p.m.

Camp coming: Self, Thomas Robinson and Ben McLemore will host a basketball camp for boys and girls grades 1-to-12 from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday and Sunday in Allen Fieldhouse. To sign up for the camp go to the Web address http://procamps.com/selfcamp.

Junior narrows list: Malachi Richardson, a 6-5 junior shooting guard from Roselle Catholic High School in Roselle, N.J., has narrowed his list of schools to KU, Syracuse, UConn, Indiana, North Carolina, Rutgers, Ohio State, Georgetown, Florida, Miami, Villanova and Arizona, Rivals.com reports. He is ranked No. 19 in the Class of 2015.

Aldrich to Kings?: NBA free agent/former KU center Cole Aldrich worked out for the Sacramento Kings on Monday, cowbellkingdom.com reports. Aldrich finished last season with the Kings, averaging 3.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 0.9 blocks in 11.7 minutes per game (15 games). Aldrich became a free agent in July when the Kings declined to exercise the 2013-14 option on his rookie contract. ESPN New York reports that the New York Knicks are also looking at possibly acquiring the 24-year-old Aldrich.

Comments

ja_hok91 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Looking at him still makes me sick to my stomach.... Never have I held one player responsible for a loss like I did Johnson for the Michigan game. That being said, I wish him the best.

Jack Jones 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Get over it ~ You know better ~one player, one play doesn't carry the responsibility for a loss ~ or a victory.

JakeBarnes 11 months, 2 weeks ago

jackdavid. Which one did you have in mind? Where he threw the ball to the other team's guard? Where he failed to cross the 30 second line on time? Where he failed to finish an open drive to the basket but passed off to an unready McLemore? etc., etc. Which one?

bad_dog 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Umm, didja mean passed to an unready Tharpe?

Evan Bilyeu 11 months, 2 weeks ago

EJ was also the reason we won the big 12. He saved our butts from the pestering K-State fans.

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 2 weeks ago

JakeBarnes,

What 30 second line are you talking about? Also, the pass you mentioned was to Tharpe and not McLemore. Maybe you should check you facts before you make statements that show much, or in you case how little, you know about basketball.

Phil Leister 11 months, 2 weeks ago

You're a bit of a jerk. "I hold him responsible, but I wish him the best." EJ gave his heart and soul to this team. He was very much responsible for getting us to the title game in 2012. We'll all remember the crotch shot and the pass in the Michigan game, but saying he makes you sick to your stomach then wishing him well is bull crap. Lots of things went wrong in the Mich game, not all of which were the fault of EJ.

I don't remember the Mich game. I just remember EJ being "too strong" and for reminding me to put my shoes on.

nwk_jayhawk74 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Overseas I think the tone set to everyone, officials included, after the nut-shot could be KU should not deserve a break. This might be a break in a call or an unbiased viewer deciding which team to root for, the decision was easy to make. Everyone felt sick to their stomach when the undercut was replayed 3 or 4 times and never changed from any angle, it was cheap. This doesn't take away from what was accomplished by EJ earlier in his career (1 game or 2 years). This will always be the first impression on EJ by 99% of every NCAA fan, period. Yes he did cost KU -a shot- at an advancement to the next game !

Benz Junque 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Did he really? When you have a senior who has played significant minutes his entire career continually making freshman-level mistakes, has he REALLY given his "heart and soul" to the team? I never got the feeling that Johnson was a very hard worker. He he repeatedly made comments about not going 100% in games earlier in the year because he wanted to try to keep his legs fresh for the end of the year.

Hey, EJ, another way to keep your legs ready for the end of the year is to GET IN BETTER SHAPE.

Just because EJ played 4 years at KU doesn't mean he gave his heart and soul. Hats off for blindly defending a player, but you really have nothing to base that opinion off of. The evidence (game tapes) show quite the opposite. He will always be remembered by me as a guy who didn't have the mental makeup to put in the work to take advantage of his talent.

KansasComet 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"Looking at him still makes me sick to my stomach"....Spoken like a true ISU Fan!

Mel Clare 11 months, 2 weeks ago

He also WON the Iowa State game by himself!!!!!!! What did he score???? 39??? Something like that? Get over it man! Michigan got hot and that is all there is to it................WE always say at NCAA time........just let us get hot for 6 games...................it happens.........

akgjenkintown 11 months, 2 weeks ago

In retrospect, I would trade his performance against ISU for a victory over Michigan and a chance to play for the final four. One play can influence an entire game. EJ had many plays in that game that greatly influence the ultimate outcome. Nevertheless, he was a loyal Jayhawk and one hopes that he succeeds at the next level.

Sam Constance 11 months, 1 week ago

You would trade a conference championship for a CHANCE to play in the Final Four?

Come on man. That's the kind of garbage I would expect from a Missouri fan, who's never been there before, but from a KU fan, it just sounds dumb. We have more Final Four appearances than all but a small handful of teams. We will be back. What you're essentially saying is that you'd trade a conference title for an Elite Eight appearance, which is pathetic.

The only thing I would've traded that ISU game for is a guaranteed national championship. And we all know there's no such thing.

Benz Junque 11 months, 2 weeks ago

All the more reason why his career should be considered a disappointment. When you have the ABILITY to play like that, there is no reason why he should have ever had so many truly HORRIBLE performances in his senior year.

One game does not a career make...

Marc Frey 11 months, 2 weeks ago

"Bitter, your table for one is ready".

nuleafjhawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Ja_ hok91, That comment reminds me of a T-shirt I saw recently.

I HATE being bi-polar - it's so AWESOME!!

Chris Shaw 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Never was an EJ fan on the court and that Michigan disgusts me, but Self and the entire coaching as well as EJ get the blame for that loss. How do you leave a timeout in your back pocket?

Been a long time since I"ve seen a college player get a 10 second violation with single man to man coverage in the backcourt. Mindboggling!

Kevin Huffman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I was an EJ fan Freshman through Jr. years....not so much that Sr. year. Best memories were his clutch plays at the end of the Purdue win in the '12 Tournament and the game in Ames last year. Haven't had that many "MONSTER" games from anybody through the years. Collison's 20/20 comes to mind.

oldalum 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Probably didn't help that the rest of the team ran off and left him without anyone to pass off to.

Steve Gantz 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Looking at your comment makes me sick to my stomach....never have I held one comment responsible for so much hate and vitriol. That being said, I wish you the best.

Joe Baker 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Rock Chalk Elijah Johnson and thank you for being a Jayhawk. I enjoyed your time at KU. I especially liked how you lit up ISU. I also liked the dunk at the end too. It may have been a bit too aggressive, but you apologized for being too aggressive for all the bleeding heart fans that screamed bloody murder. I appreciate how you handled all the racist remarks with class as a true competitor.

Enjoy your time in Poland and hope to see you in the league soon.

Evan Bilyeu 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Too be honest, I am glad he shoved it down their throats.

Andy Tweedy 11 months, 2 weeks ago

He was bad in that game, but I hope nobody on here has just conveniently forgotten how he may have been our best player in our run to the title game in 2012. I choose to remember that Elijah Johnson!!! You've never had a bad day at the office?

Evan Bilyeu 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Best player seems to be a little bit of a stretch.

SEKrep 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Without him, we don't get to the title game last year

JayHawkFanToo 11 months, 2 weeks ago

EJ played his heart out and was a loyal Jayhawk and will always be part of the KU family. Best of luck to him; hopefully some day he makes it to the NBA.

Steve Corder 11 months, 2 weeks ago

So, you wish him well while in the same breath say his mere sight makes you sick? Surely you must not mean one of those comments.

ku2004daniel 11 months, 2 weeks ago

EJ is a one talented funny cat...errr I mean hawk....

I luv #15 put-yo-shoeson-EJ Johnson

Eventhough I luv the class with which Bill Self and KU players almost always conduct themselves, if I was EJ I might have been tempted to do exactly what he did to Mitchy's pennys too....that whiny floppin sonsabeeswax McMitchy!

Anyways Rock Chalk EJ go gettum! tear Euroball up!

POWODZENIA!!

ku2004daniel 11 months, 2 weeks ago

whoops i forgot....

You too Relly fo really reals!

Belgium sounds like heaven! (don't eat too much of the chocolate!)

jhawkinaz 11 months, 2 weeks ago

A true jayhawk fan doesn't hold that type of grudge towards any player, especially a guy that gave his all for 4 years ,yeah he had his ups and downs through out his career but he is always a jayhawk in my eyes, good luck ej in you new journey

KJD 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Self, Thomas Robinson and Ben McLemore are hosting a basketball camp. Sign me up!...Oh, I'm decades too old. If I still lived in Lawrence I might have to adopt a 1st-12th grader for the weekend, or fly back then kidnap my Missouri Tiger loving step-brothers children and baptize them forever in Crimson and Blue!! Hey, that is a new, secret movement for all Jayhawks living near Kansas City. Tell Missouri fans with children that you would like to take their kids to Worlds of Fun for the day and actually take them to a Jayhawk basketball camp.

Evan Bilyeu 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I think it is sort of a rip off that it costs 200 just to see Bmac and Trob and it is only for 4 hours. If it was Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden I would be all over it!

KansasComet 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Good luck to EJ. One of my favorite Jayhawks. Will never forget the 39 that he put on ISU. One of the best comebacks in Kansas Basketball History!

Dirtyphog 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It's easy to bash the "captain" but without him we would've never made the ship a couple years ago, he was a killer as a 2 guard. He was forced into a position he was unfamiliar with and ku still won the league and got a 1 seed. The ej bashing needs to stop, he's a jayhawk. Best of luck ej, I know you are gonna kill it in the euro.

hotrodm 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Blame Coach Self for the loss. Self should have had the guys foul at the half court line. KU was up by 3 points when Burke hit the shot to tie it up. If you foul you more than likely are still up by one with a few ticks left and win the game. EJ played poorly, but Self coached just as bad as EJ played. Didn't Coach Self remember the National Championship game in 08, when Memphis did not foul and Mario hit the 3 to tie it up. Everyone said Calapari should have fouled KU and sent KU to the line.

championhawks 11 months, 2 weeks ago

This is a debated topic in the coaching ranks, where some say it is best to foul and others say it is best to play it out and play defense. Don't know if you can blame a coach for a loss solely on this argument.

Benz Junque 11 months, 1 week ago

Agreed, big time. All it takes is a capable guard to toss up a shot as the foul is committed and you now have a guy going to free throw line for three easy looks to tie the game. Three free throws are significantly easier to hit than a crazy, off-balance contested deep three.

Odds of a ref sending the guy to the line are likely higher than the odds of hitting the shot Burke hit. You coach to the best odds. Michigan didn't have enough time to get a good look. Self made the right call.

Ian Emerson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It was a mistake by Self for being do fiercely loyal to his senior guards. Kinda feel like he needed to keep EJ in to prove to future prospects that if they put the work in and stay for multiple years, they WILL play in crunch time over their younger teammates Of the same position.

dylans 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If Bill sits EJ for crunch time it ruins his confidence for the next game. Or would it motivate?

Jack Wilson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Regardless, there would have likely been a "next game."

Chris Shaw 11 months, 2 weeks ago

In the famous words of one of the worst coaches of all-time..."You play to win the game!"

Herm Edwards

REHawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

As for that loss to Michigan, I am still laying the end of game meltdown on Bill's shoulders. If he denies responsibility then we are bound to see future repetition. Yeah, Burke got unbelievably hot and in control, the kind of thing that often happens when one player goes on a tear (e.g UCon and Syracuse) in NCAA tournament games. But we had some closing winning options which lay dormant. Bill chose to play his cards with EJ...and, like Calipari, did not foul. Perhaps something noble in the former; but quizzical, the latter.

Michael Pannacciulli 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I love how when recruits trim their list to 25 schools that seems to be news worthy.

Cole if he doesn't get picked up should have his agents call Poland or Belgium soon too. The man has not seen any signigicant action since he was at KU.

EJ is going to make a living in Europe. He, much like Tyshawn is an acquired taste but eventually you find that he has the heart and desire - and he is loyal to the Crimson and

What is KY up to???

jnicho03 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Has anyone heard if T-Rob is making any appearances or signing autographs any where in Lawrence this weekend while he is in town for the camp?

Jack Wilson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Self says after the Ok. St. game that we don't have a point guard, and throws EJ under the bus. Then in the most important game of the season (obviously, because we got eliminated), he sticks with the guy that he trashed, and who is obviously off of his game. Why?

He just goes off feel. He goes with the guys he thinks will give him the best chance to win at that particular moment. Purely his judgment.

Sometimes he chooses wrong. Sometimes his approach leads to defeats. Most of the time it leads to wins .. 80 some % of the time. The NCAA losses are just magnified because losing that last game is, in truth, losing the most important game of the season.

Although he obviously had frustration with EJ, he was loyal, as mentioned above.

During that game, though, it is undeniable that Tharpe was the better choice. Most all of us saw it a the time, not just in hindsight. Most of us are quite confident in saying that if Self plays Tharpe over EJ down the stretch there, we win. Not a guarantee, of course.

And as many have posted already, foul the three point shooter. Push the perimeter; not guard the perimeter .. push the perimeter with four on the arc. Meaning, the four on the arc push to foul wherever the ball goes. One just behind to chase just in case there is a pass that evades the push. Self clearly did not give the order to foul. And KY just gave Burke too much room. Self claimed that he wouldn't have fouled at eight seconds when he went into his shot .. but that was revisionist history. He went into his shot at 6.4 seconds. Of course you foul.

But a big problem is that we had two guys guarding deep into the arc .. meaning the only place they tie it is on the perimeter, and we have two guys (McLemore and Releford well inside the arc). Burke had said that their plan was to try to get a quick two. We shut that off switching out top and preventing a pass into the lane. We made them take the game tying 3. This was just problematic as not fouling. Give them the two. Clock runs. We shoot two more free throws.

Self blew it late in that game, as REHawk and hotrodm said.

And all we had on the final possession after that was to let EJ try to get to the rim. Self's response when asked ... "poor execution."

Chris Shaw 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Couldn't have said it better myself

wrwlumpy 11 months, 2 weeks ago

HEM put it into perspective. A loss that ends the season hurts and it brings out the vitriolic in some. If coach Self thinks that he has the best 5 on the court for defense, which he probably did at the time, then I can go with Coach, win or lose. I'll take his way and the banners. In other tournament games, he has asked his players what they wanted to do in the final seconds, foul or play defense. The players have always chosen to play defense. Burke's shot was a long way from the three point line. Mario was a hero, now Burke is. Once again, I'll take coach Self, right or wrong.

REHawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

slayr, I stand with you, firmly, on my appreciation for and faith in Bill Self. If my grandsons were playing ball, I would hope for them to land with such a coach. I have followed Big 8/Big 12 basketball for decades. Self is the best coach I have ever watched. Here's hoping he stays at the helm of Jayhawk hoops for another decade. I am one of those old guys who revere league titles. In that regard, Self leaps tall buildings...and is immune to the powers of kryptonite.

Sam Constance 11 months, 1 week ago

How does this comment only have one thumbs up?

This is it right here. Michigan should have never been shooting a three at the end of regulation. And to those who warn that a savvy guard will just rise up and shoot as soon as he feels contact, as long as you make the foul well past the three-point line, you're likely going to be safe because the opponent won't be preparing to shoot from that deep, and most officials are not going to bail out an offensive player with a three-shot foul in the closing seconds of a three-point ballgame based on the offensive player randomly heaving a shot at the basket because he thinks he's going to get fouled.

Cameron Cederlind 11 months, 2 weeks ago

cowbellkingdom.com? That's awesome.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I read that all of the centers in the Polish league went out and bought cups after hearing about EJ's signing. One question: do they have a 10-second half-court violation in Europe?

nuleafjhawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I also heard that the other teams are going to try to learn to play defense so that he doesn't put up 39 on them.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

How about a wager on how many times he scores 39?

coloradojayhawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

People are acting like Burke had a gimme shot. He still hit a really long three to tie it - could it have been foreseen? Sure, but he still had to hit it. This is not all on EJ or Self. Michigan still had to win it.

Jack Wilson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes. That is why you foul. Burke is good enough to make that shot easily 10% of the time, if . See, each coach knows now what you've said --- "could it have been foreseen."

That's the point. This result is always foreseen. Particularly by a guy who was on the "gift' end of the same coaching flub in 2008.

Tony Bandle 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Blaming EJ for the Michigan Loss.

1] I gues we forget about BenMac fouling a guy on a three point shot making it a four point play and keeping the tie possible.

2] I guess we forget that no one came back to help EJ in trouble bringing the ball over the half court line or HCBS mind-cramped and didn't call a timeout.

3] I guess we forget about Coach Self not fouling Burke before trying his three.

4] I guess we forget that there wasn't someone in his face the moment he got the ball. It worked against Curry and Davidson in 2008..what was different now???

5] I guess we forget that EJ made 3/4 clutch free throws.

6] Yep, I guess it was single-handedly, without question, man-on-an-island, totally and unequivically, all EJ's fault!!!!!

What a bunch of tools if anyone thinks #6 is correct!!!

]

KansasComet 11 months, 2 weeks ago

OakvilleJHawk,

Great post. Would like to add one, I guess we forgot who hit the shot (his last shot in a Kansas Uniform) in crunch time to cut the lead to 87-85. That would be EJ. My only regret is that he didn't go for the win and shoot a 3 at the end of the game. With his tournament track record, he might have made it.

RockChalk26 11 months, 2 weeks ago

That Burke shot should have never went up. EJ plowing over McGary was clearly a defensive foul. McGary should have been on the line.

nwk_jayhawk74 11 months, 2 weeks ago

This O-foul was not going to be called, with the early cheap shot. The tone after the nut shot was why with a very physical Michigan team there was 3 fouls called until late in the game and Mich had to gain ground fast. KU had their chances, there are a lot of good points I had forgotten about listed here. This makes you encouraged for next year and quite sad looking at what could have been. Michigan might have finished 3rd in theBigXII.

Steve Gantz 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If EJ isn't playing in that Michigan game would we have been in a position to blow a big lead late? Not likely, we probably would have had to come back ourselves to win.

Eric TheCapn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I totally disagree. If EJ sat that whole game, we would have probably been further ahead. He was an overall detriment that game, and many his senior year. Nonetheless, it's Self's fault for putting him at point and sticking with him every time he was a detriment. EJ has abilities, but not the vision or smarts to play point.

Where do you suppose he'd rank on the list of best point guards of 2012-13?

Steve Gantz 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I really don't know what would have happened had he not played. I went to church that night, it was Good Friday!, but he probably did a lot more than you realized as a senior, defensively, setting screens, etc.

wrwlumpy 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Is Jo Jo playing on an 8 ft. goal?

2014 NBADraft.net Prospect Kansas Jayhawk Joel Embiid at Adidas Nations in California 2013 by MrQwik11

Kent Richardson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Reminds me so much of Olajuwon. If he is as instinctive as Hakeem we are in for a treat.

KULA 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Don't blame EJ for the Michigan loss. Bill Self made him the player that he was. I remember when EJ came here as one of the top rated guards in the country. I remember seeing flashes of his athleticism that made him look like a potential highlight reel player. I remember intelligent posters on this board calling for him to play over Tyshawn. I remember wondering on this board why he couldn't get 5-10 per game to develop on 30+ win teams that regularly enjoyed 20 point leads.

And I remember Bill's treatment of EJ. I remember Captain Hook's yanking of any bench player after one mistake. I remember his harsh benching of EJ in the KState game when EJ showed some competitive fire on a flat team. I remember wondering on this board what this constant "you're not good enough" treatment would do to a player's confidence. I wondered how this negative reinforcement would affect a player when he had to take a clutch shot at the end of a game.

And I remember EJ's senior season when he never really looked comfortable being the floor leader. I remember Bill saying we don't have a point guard. I remember EJ hardly ever looking confident in his shot. And I remember all too well the the Michigan game. EJ obviously cracked under the pressure. A sports psychologist might even argue that he tried to take himself out of the game early. And in the end, when it came down to the biggest shot of his career, EJ...passed.

That's what I remember about EJ. And Bill.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The game was lost in regulation. It was a shock that we were even competitive in overtime. Why anyone focuses on the single shot made by Burke or the pass-up of a shot by EJ is beyond me.

Self certainly owns the loss as much as any player but the players play the game. The crotch shot, the throw away, the 10-second turnover....those are the things I remember about that game. Unfortunately.

Rian Ankerholz 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If you wonder why anyone focuses on one shot, you might want to ask Mario. Teams win and teams lose, I wish EJ the best.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I understand the Wolverine viewpoint, I don't understand the focus from our side.

Eric TheCapn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Yupppppp. However, Self really put a massive, but misled, amount of confidence in EJ. EJ's confidence should have been through the roof, considering he'd play 35 minutes even when he looked like he had no idea what sport he was playing. Virtually every game last year I was yelling at my TV, wondering why the hell EJ was at point, or in the game at all.

EJ was supposed to be the next Shoes Langford. Then Self put him at point, and he was about as effective as Brett Ballard.

Luckily, in a couple of months we can stop thinking about it/him/them and concentrate on our new, awesome team.

Joe Baker 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Luckily in a couple of months I will stop thinking of your post, think of EJ making money, and continue to concentrate on this year's team at the same time.

KUsmoothies 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks for waiting your turn EJ. Thanks for the memories, good and bad. You're a loyal Jayhawk and I got nothin but love for ya my dude. Best of luck to you. Put yo shoes on!!!

KUfanInFlorida 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Elijah made a lot of mistakes in that Michigan game, but I am not going to blame him entirely because when it comes down to it, it's a team game. He is not a true point guard. Bill Self really had no choice but to play him because he whiffed on a lot of point guards in recruiting.

I am hoping that either Tharpe or Mason will be able to run this team without making a lot of turnovers down the stretch.

I am glad EJ and Rele were able to get on a team overseas. Best of luck to them!!!

Chris Shaw 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Why do people keep making excuses for EJ not being a Point Guard? He had the keys to the car and if he wanted to make it to the NBA...he was/is a freaking point guard.

Guess what position he's playing in Poland? Any guesses? Point Guard!

JayDocMD 11 months, 2 weeks ago

My favorite quote from Self in this article reinforces what I was saying on these boards the other day. Take note twocoach44 - guess Coach Self agrees with me... (cap emphasis mine)

"Self said Ellis is headed for a BREAKOUT season. Ellis is following the typical pattern of a talented but unseasoned freshman who rides the pine for a year behind veterans, but who makes the most of his opportunity to play as a sophomore. "He's the most improved player on the team," Self said. "He's really being aggressive with his scoring. That's what he does. He gets baskets."

KansasComet 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Mario Chalmers and Elijah Johnson are the two players from Kansas that wanted the ball in crunch time.

In this Michigan game, did anyone else even act like they wanted the ball when the game got tight? This is why Kansas lost games to UNI, VCU, and Michigan. We have the talent, but we need closers.

Teejay Roden 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I would add Releford to that list. We are all biased of course, but I think there are a lot worse wing players on NBA rosters.

Preston Dwiggins 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Is the article about EJ going to play in Poland or ja_hok91's comment? I personally loved EJ's play for 3 year's. I don't know what happened other than playing out of position his senior year. I'm proud to call EJ a Jayhawk; however, I did not like the nut check in the first few minutes of the Michigan game. That doesn't make us look very good. Having said all that, the nut check or his senior season does not make me think any less of EJ. He always gave it his all. I too hope EJ finds his way to the NBA.

Brett McCabe 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Tyshawn or T-Rob might get him some tickets.

jaybate 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Eljh Jnsn wil play for Wloclawek, Plnd.

jaybate 11 months, 2 weeks ago

First Self signed Elijah.

Then he tried to sign Josiah.

Now he is in the hunt for Malachi.

Is this building to something biblical, or what?

Teejay Roden 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish EJ the best! I felt bad for him last year when he was getting blamed for everything short of global warming. He was a pretty good #2 guard and tried to play PG b/c that's what KU needed. He was much better with Tyshawn handling the ball, although TT made me pull my hair out at times too.

kay_you 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Jayhawk Nation loves you EJ. Always will.