Originally published October 25, 2012 at 01:49p.m., updated October 26, 2012 at 12:50a.m.

KU men’s basketball to start four-year series with Georgetown in 2013-14

Kansas forward Kevin Young splits Georgetown defenders Hollis Thompson (1) and Otto Porter (22) after a steal during the first half Monday, Nov. 21, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Kansas University’s basketball team has scheduled a four-year, home-and-home series with Big East Conference member Georgetown, it was announced Thursday.

The Hoyas, who are 1-1 all-time versus KU, will visit Allen Fieldhouse on Dec. 21, 2013, and again in the 2015-16 season. KU will meet Georgetown in the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., during the 2014-15 and 2016-17 seasons.

The D.C., area, home to former KU standout Thomas Robinson, is fertile recruiting ground for KU. Kansas freshman Andrew White III is a native of Richmond, Va., which is just 108 miles from D.C. Future KU player Frank Mason is from Petersburg, Va., 130 miles from D.C. KU also has a pair of players from Massachusetts (about an eight-hour drive from D.C.) in sophomore Naadir Tharpe (Worcester) and incoming guard Wayne Selden (Roxbury).

In other scheduling news ... KU, as previously reported, will participate in next season’s Battle 4 Atlantis tournament over Thanksgiving week in Nassau, Bahamas. The field: KU, Villanova, Wake Forest, Tennessee, USC, UTEP, Xavier and a yet-to-be-determined Big Ten team. ESPN says Illinois initially was in the mix, but now it appears Ohio State or Michigan State will participate.

Wiggins reclassifies: Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7, 190-pound small forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, has decided to reclassify from the Class of 2014, his dad reported on Thursday. Wiggins promptly was named No. 1 player in the class of 2013 by Rivals.com.

Wiggins, who is originally from Ontario, Canada, has KU, Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida State, Ohio State and others on his early list. His dad, Mitchell, played at Florida State.

“It’s time to show that he is the best in college right now,” Mitchell Wiggins told USA Today. “Academically-wise he is doing great. Maturity-wise he is doing great. He is ready for the next step, and everybody knows it is time. It’s Andrew’s time. Next year is coming soon, and he is ready.”

Huntington coach Rob Fulford told USA Today that Wiggins needs just one English credit to graduate.

Andrew Wiggins told USA Today that fans assume Kentucky is the leader, “basically (because John) Calipari gets anybody he wants.”

Yet he stressed he is “wide open.”

Comments

Dee Shaw 7 years, 1 month ago

Good deal. I have always enjoyed watching Georgetown. I remember being a kid and always liked G'Town because they had a big center who wore a t-shirt under his jersey. Patrick Ewing. Should be a good series for both squads. Should help with recruiting back East. Love how Bill Self has made some in roads with the East Coast. Never understood why we never tapped the East Coast before. Good road trip to D.C. and watch the Hawks.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 1 month ago

Tap the east coast, like say Danny Manning or Wilt Chamberlain? Lot of people will tell you that Roy chose to not compete with UNC for recruits, which probably has some ugly truth to it. A lot of Self's east coast success has to do with assistants, but he definitely isn't shy about recruiting against anywhere for anybody he thinks will fit.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 1 month ago

Not to get too political, but I guess the one good thing about Obama being re-elected would be extra hype when KU plays @Gtown and POTUS most likely shows up to watch giving KU a little extra publicity. Always look on the bright side of life.

actorman 7 years, 1 month ago

You're right, phogphan: that would clearly be the ONLY good thing about Obama being re-elected. [Note heavy sarcasm font.]

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

We'll kill 'em next year...2014, not so sure.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

We'll kill 'em next year...2014, not so sure.

Take a look at the picture above..Bill looks like a Thursday night bowler trying to coax his ball from rolling into the right gutter!! :)

Tony Bandle 7 years, 1 month ago

AAHH...memories of the Lahaina Civic center. In 1996 my good friend, Wilbur Nether and myself journeyed to Maui. I would encourage any Jayhawk who can, go..it's a hoot.

The highlight of our trip, even better than KU winning it all, was the first day, when we went into the gym and the UMass practice. Bruiser Flint saw us and our Kansas gear and kicked us out for trying to spy on his team..

What a tool !!! They didn't even make the semis, so I guess our "spying" worked!!

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Georgetown being groomed for Big 12 membership.

702Hawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe but I feel like it might be a way of showing recruits that if they come all the way to Kansas, We will go play games close to home so their family and friends can watch. This will let AW3 and Mason's family see a game in 2014.

It's like when we went MSG in 2010 and it let Tyshawn's family see the game and TRobs.

I just wish KU would have played at UNLV while EJ was on the team.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Good point, 702.

I withdraw the question. :-)

And what I especially like is that now all my posts can be edited by anyone including me.

Gee, talk about interconnectivity.

Now absolutely nothing anyone writes will necessarily be their own.

This is going to be a boon to psy-ops and site destabilization professions for sure.

Let's call this the end of the single author in western civilization.

Single authorization was so last millennia anyway.

Now all posted by multiple aliases.

Come gather round people, where you roam

And admit that the composite personality has grown

Come get out of the single author mode if you can't lend a hand

And there's no tellin' who that the composite will be namin'

Oh you better start postin' or you'll sink like a stone,

For the aliases they are a-compositin'

plasticJayhawk did this

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

I cain't stop compositing you I've made up my mind

plasticJHawk did this

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 1 month ago

Oakville and Jaybate,

You fellas know that you can edit your previous posts now right?

I just edited this one, actually.

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

No, I didn't know that. I knew I could edit on my blog, but I didn't know I could edit these. Thank. How do I do it?

Aha, so there's an edit link that appears immediately after I post on your thread. Is it a setting with your particular threads?

This could be very bad if everyone can edit another alias' posts. :-)

The serial aliases will soon be writing more of my posts than I do!!!!! :-)

soapisurfriend 7 years, 1 month ago

Andrew Wiggins is reclassifying. I had thought he might not, but who was I kidding? I think him reclassifying to 2013 lowers the odds of him picking UK, but again, what do I know?

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 1 month ago

I sort of thought it raised the odds of him going UK... But I also, don't know.

702Hawk 7 years, 1 month ago

This won't help us because we are already stacked at his position with great guys.

What if UK's freshman class doesn't perform like normal and they have to stay an extra year? Is that going to throw a wrench in Cal's system and be what causes him stop getting OADs?

soapisurfriend 7 years, 1 month ago

With a guy with the talents of Wiggins, it doesn't matter who is on your roster. He automatically makes any team better, as he is NBA ready right now. I like your point about UK and I can even see that happening. I think Noel is gone, but there's a chance Poythress, Cauley-Stein, and Goodwin stick around much like Wiltjer did this year and may again next.

Jerry Rockhold 7 years, 1 month ago

I think it keeps the odds at exactly the same. That is, none of us know where he will go & that is 100% for sure.

Brian Stoops 7 years, 1 month ago

"The Kansas men’s basketball will play......"

Someone throw a "team" in there please - my OCD can't handle this

jaybate 7 years, 1 month ago

Just having some fun here, plasticJHawk.

plasticJHawk did this.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 1 month ago

I've actually been editing Jaybate's posts all along and no one new it.

The usually look something like this before edit:

"I'm glad that Bill Self thinks that Thomas Robinson is tough. We need more tough players on our basketball team - All fiction, no malice"

I turn them into thousand word essays about XTreme Muscle Ball, physics, World History, and Shoe-Co Summer League Conspiracies.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 1 month ago

I can't take total credit. I still work a full time job.

Mkultra 7 years, 1 month ago

Duke would've been more fun but we play them next year anyway, could've been home and home then sprint center/arena they always have ACC tournament in. A straight home and home with them should be agreed to it is essential. Ol' Roy will never do it.

jhox 7 years, 1 month ago

Wiggins is a West Virginia kid...Big 12 territory. At least one game in his home state and lots of games on TV for his friends and family to watch. Perhaps the edge we need? We can only hope...

soapisurfriend 7 years, 1 month ago

Wiggins is from Canada. He just goes to Huntington Prep in WV.

REHawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Do we look to see Georgetown and Louisville rounding out league numbers to get us back to the real "Big 12"?

Ron Prichard 7 years, 1 month ago

The Big 12 will never add Georgetown as a member school. You forget that football is what drives this bus. Yes, academics is a factor and basketball may even play a small part, but without a major football program, Georgetown will continue to reside in the Big East for the forseeable future. I don't care what anyone else says, you need look no further than the two schools that were added to the Big 12 to confirm that football is the driving force in realignment.

I'm not quite as sure about Louisville, but I am confident in saying Georgetown will never be in the Big 12 and adding as many exclamation points as you feel is necessary.

702Hawk 7 years, 1 month ago

Why is Boise State never mentioned. It is the TCU of the north. They would provide another solid football team, the Boise market, and another basketball team for Kansas to practice dunking on (give me a blowout any day over a nail biter).

Jeff Smith 7 years, 1 month ago

We need WIGGINS!!!!!! Come on Self, work your magic.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as valuable?

The Big East is falling apart and this doesn't seem to help us much.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 1 month ago

I read about Wiggins, the story at ESPN, etc. And it's boring to me. #1 guy, OAD, blah, blah, blah. Talent can win titles. We know that. Self had said recently that he'd certainly take the OAD situation with lots of turnover each season. I'm not sure that's true. He does recruit them. But with Wiggins, he sent Townsend. Someone pointed out yesterday that if Self was really serious, he should go. Maybe Townsend was just testing the waters to see if Self should expend his time.

Either way, it seems that we have two very committed players that man the same spot that Wiggins would -- Greene and White. Greene can play some 2 it sounds, as well. Forget Wiggins. Yes, we should pursue superior talent. But not at the expense of superior talent in the bag. Greene and White are guys that are superior talents and that will likely be core players for 3 seasons at a minimum. The perfect players. The perfect players for coach Self. Forget Wiggins. Send Townsend to see a post player.

Spend all efforts to get Embiid + either Lawrence/Roberson/Gordon/Randle (post players, with Gordon or Randle being a "bridge" to Embiid -- stealing someone else's line there). Since Roberson and Embiid will likely decide in the fall, it is highly unlikely we could get both there. But the other three -- Lawerence/Gordon/Randle -- may get to the spring before a decision and thus if we have Embiid in the bag, then one of these guys might still be an option (longshots) if a scholarship becomes available.

Quality post players are our clear roster need going forward.

clevelandjayhawker 7 years, 1 month ago

They (Wiggins camp) reached out to us, and I heard it was the tradition that appealed so much. I feel that it is kind of ironic to being so close to the 30 for 30 special. I mean KU was probably on his radar before the airing, but its possible he was watching espn that tuesday night and was thinking man that place looks great and their fans are devoted. Seems like we came out of no where to make his "list", maybe I'm over thinking it.

I agree though, we need bigs, but would be fun to watch a team of 6'4 to 6'8 guys for a year (Wiggins, AW, BMac, Perry, Traylor, Selden, Peters, Greene) with smaller Frankamp and Tharpe to fill in at the point, plus Lucas if a taller big is needed. Would love to have a long/athletic/super quick team that can shoot like that. Would be speedign the game up the whole time. Not really Self's way traditionally but could be fun to watch.

Timmay97 7 years, 1 month ago

Well, it was news to me that Andrew Wiggins brother (Nick Wiggins) plays for Wichita State. That kind of shocked me to read today.

I take it I'm the only one to NOT know this?

Hey, KU comes into play just so mom and pop can see BOTH their kids play. Yeah, it's a 2.5 hour drive........but who cares.

We can only dream!

Ryan Knuth 7 years, 1 month ago

It "shocked" you... I see what you did there.

Dee Shaw 7 years, 1 month ago

Gee what a surprise the #1 Recruit in the land has Kentucky as his leader. This is getting boring. Absolutely no competition.

travisthein 7 years, 1 month ago

Wow I really like Wiggins' comments at the end of the article there. He called out the fact that UK is the presumed leader, but that's not what's in his head at all necessarily.

Travis Shinkle 7 years, 1 month ago

Georgetown is looking ahead to try to strengthen their SOS...look what happens after this year: Syracuse and Pitt leave the Big East (WV already left). UConn is not tournament eligible due to their 11% graduation rate (also taking scholarship hits...though let's face it: scholarships for what?!?). The Big East, even with the typical east coast media hype, is going to be a bunch of average teams.

I like KU playing tough non-cons...it gets us ready for Big XII schedule and March!