Wednesday, October 17, 2012

ESPN: KU hoops has No. 2 recruiting class for 2013

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Kansas University’s men’s basketball recruiting Class of 2013 is currently ranked No. 2 in the country by ESPN.com.

The Jayhawks’ class of Conner Frankamp (No. 28 Rivals.com, No. 37 ESPN.com), Brannen Greene (No. 22 Rivals, No. 41 ESPN), Wayne Selden (No. 14 ESPN, No. 23 Rivals) and Frank Mason (No. 131 Rivals, unranked ESPN) trails only Kentucky’s class of Andrew Harrison (No. 2 ESPN, No. 4 Rivals), Aaron Harrison (No. 3 Rivals, No. 4 ESPN), James Young (No. 5 ESPN, No. 8 Rivals) and Derek Willis (No. 126 Rivals, unranked ESPN).

Florida is ranked No. 3 overall in the ESPN team rankings, followed by Louisville, Memphis, Michigan, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Arkansas, Marquette, Duke, BYU, North Carolina State, Arizona and Florida State. Rivals.com will put out its team rankings at the conclusion of the November signing period.

Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 small forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, will visit KU this weekend. Rivals.com’s No. 29-rated player has a list of KU, Kentucky, SMU, Syracuse, Villanova and Rutgers. The Jayhawks are still in the running for No. 1 Julius Randle, 6-9 from Plano, Texas; No. 5 Aaron Gordon, 6-8 from San Jose, Calif.; and unranked Joel Embiid, 7-foot from Cameroon, currently in Gainesville, Fla.

Fran’s musings: ESPN announcer Fran Fraschilla attended KU practice on Tuesday and posted some of his thoughts on Twitter.

Of freshman forward Landen Lucas, he said: “Big bodied work in progress. I was impressed with (frosh forward Jamari) Traylor. reminded me of a young T-Rob (Thomas Robinson).”

Of freshman forward Perry Ellis he wrote: “Still deer in headlights but talented enough to get out of the way of the car.”

He also wrote: “Elijah Johnson was excellent leader, Ben McLemore is as good a freshman as I’ve seen under (KU coach Bill) Self ... Andrew White can’t defend yet but has a GREAT shooting stroke, Travis Releford is perfect glue guy for young team, Jeff Withey solid, not great.”

KU sophomore guard Naadir Tharpe did not practice Tuesday. Self told the Journal-World he has a sprained ankle and will return to practice today.

Documentary talk: ESPN aired its 30 for 30 ESPN Films production, “There’s No Place Like Home” on Tuesday night.

The documentary chronicled the weeks leading to KU and Lawrence High grad David Booth’s purchasing of James Naismith’s original rules of basketball for $4.3 million at auction.

“I’d be very happy to be a lead sponsor in this project. I’ll do more than my fair share to get this thing done. I’m good for a million on it,” Booth said when first approached by KU grad Josh Swade about buying the rules and keeping them at KU.

Booth wound up being the only KU graduate who bid on the rules.

At one point late in the auction, Booth turned to wife Suzanne and asked if he should continue as the price continued to rise and the auction was marred by long delays from the other bidder, a Duke supporter. She said, yes, and Booth went on to prevail in the auction. His rules will eventually be housed in a building adjacent to the northeast corner of Allen Fieldhouse.

“This is one of those extraordinary moments in one’s life where you can do something that’s truly memorable,” Booth said near the end of the film.

Other quotes ...

From KU coach Bill Self: “When David and I talked (before auction), what I tried to say was what it would mean to every alum that’s ever given a dollar to this place, every student that’s ever attended a class here and certainly what it could mean to us as a basketball program.”

From former KU coach Roy Williams: “There’s no question in my mind I’d like to see them (rules) back at the University of Kansas. Those rules ... to be in that museum in that Hall of Fame at Allen Fieldhouse on Naismith Drive ... that’s where I think they should be.”

Of the fieldhouse, North Carolina coach Williams said: “It’s the greatest venue for a college athletic event I’ve been in, bar none. The guy that sits on the last row is just as enthusiastic as the student that stands on the first row. It bothers me now because I’d like to say that we’re like that (in UNC’s Smith Center). Our people are really good. I mean we really do some great things, but there’s only one Allen Fieldhouse.”

From ESPN’s Dick Vitale: “You could make a case for UCLA, Duke, Kentucky, all those programs, but none of those programs had James Naismith there as a coach. Absolutely (KU has the) strongest case of them all to put those rules right there.”

Comments

nwhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Withey had just eaten a beef and bean burrito from 7-11. Nobody's at their best after that.

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 2 months ago

He should have just grabbed a few bean burrito from Taco Bell. Primo stuff right there

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

Funny stuff!!

I like Fran Fraschilla. He is the best of the color announcers, but he is dead wrong about Withey. Withey if GREAT!!! Wait and see.

master16 2 years, 2 months ago

nah, he's just calling it how he sees it. If Withey isn't playing great at the moment, why say he is? no one is saying he can't be great during the season, but he has to prove it first :P

Michael Luby 2 years, 2 months ago

So might we assume, based on Franny's tweets, that Traylor will start in place of Ellis? If not, he will definitely take some minutes from Peters (injured) and Lucas.

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 2 months ago

I was front row at Late Night. Traylor was pretty much awesome offensively. Looked like he put in some good work under Manning. Had some really nice moves in and around the basket. Although, I think he missed at least one maybe two point blank shots. He should be a pleasant surprise this year

Bill Skeet 2 years, 2 months ago

I still get shivers about The Rules!

Thanks again to all who made it happen, including the Booth family, the Allen family, and of course the point guard, Josh.

I really want to thank Josh because I can now point to him and convince my wife that "I am not the most crazed KU fan in the world."

Though I am not proud to be less than the best at this, it may comfort her some.

702Hawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Josh did great and so did Dr. Allen. But I really want to thank Mr. Booth. He has done so much for our basketball team. Think about what every recruit has to think when they go into his extension of Allen Fieldhouse. Now Bill can say, "Those right there are the original rules of basketball. Not only can you join a National Championship caliber of a team but you can do it where it all began." With guys like Mr. Booth it's no wounder that KU is KU.

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

As soon as I find an address/email for Mr. Booth I'm going to write a brief thank you. I'll do the same for Josh as well.

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

If you get it.pass it to us so more of us can say a hearty "Thank You" to him and his wife! I watched the program and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Is all I can say about those who brought the rules to KU!

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

For Josh I went to his website. There’s a contact form at the bottom of the page. http://www.bringtheruleshome.com/

For Mr. Booth I went to his company website and typed “There’s No Place Like Home” in the subject. http://www.dfaus.com/contactform.html?&type=gi

His actual mailing address is:

David Booth Dimensional Fund Advisors Palisades West 6300 Bee Cave Road, Building One Austin, TX 78746

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

David & Suzanne Booth 4107 Lakeplace Lane Austin, TX 78746-1623

david.booth@dfafunds.comp>david.booth@dfafunds.com>

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

Singing the chant in Cameron. Priceless!

KJ Quartermaine 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow, ole Franny was kind of harsh on Withey

akgjenkintown 2 years, 2 months ago

That is the way he played in Europe. Hopefully, that was just rust, but he was not very impressive. Peters looked better.

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure Vitale gets it. These exact rules spent close to 50 years in Lawrence already. They have returned home. Thank goodness Booth's wife let Kansas beat Duke. Imagine how sick we would have felt to see Coach K parading those around twice a week on TV.

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Imagine hearing all the bull$hit from Dukie V. about going to where Coach K. is at and blah blah blah (insert spittle and forehead sweat).... He would have had a boner every time he mentioned Duke or Coach K. Wait... A bigger boner...

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Duke bidding on OUR rules? What's next - Duke alumni raise funds to purchase the Emancipation Proclamation? Original lyrics by John Lennon? Coach K on Mount Rushmore? Talk about arrogant and inappropriate.

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Watched the documentary on the auction to purchase Naismith's Founding Rules of Basketball. As a member of the Jayhawk Nation, and a basketball fan in general, it made me feel proud. Sooo glad that the rules have been brought back to KU. I've always felt I'm one of the most fanatical Jayhawk fans. I find it hard to believe, but I have to admit that Josh Swade may be even more so.

The interviews with former KU coaches, previous Jayhawk basketball players, national sports commentators, and the investors all made for an enjoyable watch.

The real time bidding war was exciting, even though I already knew the outcome. Sold for $3.8 million, and how satisfying!!! For everyone involved.

I specifically loved Josh Swade chanting the Rock Chalk chant while sitting in the empty bleachers at Duke's basketball court.

ROCK CHALK, and a huge "MAHALO" to Josh Swade, who spent so much time and energy in accomplishing his goal of bringing them back! And to David Booth and his family, for his/their support and contributions, both monetarily and for taking time out his busy schedule, and for helping to see Josh's (and the Jayhawk Nation's) dream fulfilled.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

I had no idea this was on TV until this article??? Did I miss an article or post about it?

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

people have been posting about it for about a week now and ESPN has been advertising it for several days too. It aired at 7:00 last night on ESPN 30 for 30. Look for it to replay tonight at 6:30 on ESPN 2.

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

I totally mentioned it yesterday while whining about Crist. You mean you don't search for my posts and insane ramblings? What if I go with the tried and true forum format of USING ALL CAPS FOR EVERY SENTENCE?

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

It was a compelling hour. I've had arguments with locals here in Baton Rouge who say there's nothing like LSU football. I tell them KU basketball inspires the same sort of passion and fanaticism. They say but LSU is statewide passion for the team. I say KU hoops is statewide. The documentary is the strongest piece of evidence of how special KU sports is.

Jeff Schartz 2 years, 2 months ago

I doubt that we will overtake Kentucky at the #1 spot on the commitment list, year in and year out, but, I know that we have a better coach!

Phil Leister 2 years, 2 months ago

Vitale just doesn't understand. I'd love to hear the "case" from the schools he mentioned...

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

Viale is an idiot. As many times as he's covered KU basketball and he doesn't get that this is an open and shut case?

travisthein 2 years, 2 months ago

Did you 2 not read his quote? He thinks Allen is the best place for the rules. He just stated that all those schools have great deep-rooted basketball histories as well, but KU is the obvious winner and where they belong.

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

North Carolina and Kentucky would not have thier "great deep rooted basketball histories" without KU to get them started!!! LOL!!!!! Rupp, Smith, Williams and 20-30 other ties to KU from WAY back!!!

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Ha! Ol' Fran sounds as parsimonious as Self himself, nudging passive roosters into the ring. Jeff and Perry, are your feathers ruffled?

DDDHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

There's No Place Like Home was AWESOME! Thanks to the zealous efforts of Josh Swade, Jayhawk Fan Extraordinairre David Booth, Dr. Allen, numerous coaches who love KU, and all of those involved in the documentary, the most important document in sports history will be back home where it belongs. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you!!!!!

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

That is a really interesting way to put it: the most important document in sports history. Where do I send my thank you note to David Booth?

championhawks 2 years, 2 months ago

I believe that's how they described the rules on several occasions in the documentary. If I remember right, the people at Sothebys were calling it the most important document in sports history.

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

Really! You mean the people trying to sell it at the highest price possible were saying that. Will wonders never cease. What a surprise that Sothebys should hype it.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

Name a more important sports document in existence than the one the original rules that founded what is now the second or third most popular sport in the world?

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 2 months ago

I loved the part when HCBS told Dr. Allen that he'd call David Booth less than 24 hours before the auction. Once again Coach Self closes another late game. It's even better that it's against Duke.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

"I’d be very happy to be a lead sponsor in this project. I’ll do more than my fair share to get this thing done. I’m good for a million on it,”

Big Deal.

If I had a dollar for every time I'd donated a million to some project....................lol

milehighhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Definitely had something in my eye a couple times during 30 for 30.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Roy - I'm pretty much at peace with you now, especially with the last health scare of yours, but PLEASE quit saying nice things about us. Whatever little bit of malice I still have against you, I'd really like to hold onto and you're making it very difficult.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget his infamous quote rearding his feelings for North Carolina. It went something like "..I don't give a s@&t about North Carolina.." Don't be naive. Quotes and sound bites are rarely as sincere as they sound. He'll say what he thinks people want to hear. Real world is tough to swallow sometimes, isn't it?

archercc 2 years, 2 months ago

The only difference is he is basically saying "The fans at my last job are better than the fans who are currently paying my salary." That is a call-out to UNC fans to up their game. Sincere or not that takes some real stones to do that (he knows they won't can him given the championships).

John Boyle 2 years, 2 months ago

He is back home and he has won two National Championships since leaving KU. I doubt he regrets leaving. He just understands how special this place is. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Benz Junque 2 years, 2 months ago

Roy Williams had the opportunity to be a legend at Kansas but he made the decision to go back to Carolina to finish in the eternal shadow of his mentor. That's fine. He got to be close to his kids in a place with some really beautiful golf courses. But no matter his accomplishm,ents at carolina, he will never be considered more than the 2nd best coach they ever had.

Now Bill Self steps in and takes the reigns. If Self stays at Kansas for the duration of his career, he will finish #1 on the All time win list and will be a legend at a legendary program. He'll be considered the greatest modern day coach at Kansas. You cannot ever pass Dr. Allen due to his impact on the game of college basketball outside of wins and losses. Getting basketball in the Olympics, forming the Coaches Association that started the NCC tourney, his impacts on sports science and medicine, etc... But Self will be the most accomplished coach in KU history if he spends his career here and THAT means something more than a few million more for a few years at an NBA gig.

Derek Bowman 2 years, 1 month ago

My problem has never really been with Roy.....I mean, UNC is where he was from....and he turned Dean Smith down. That should have been that, but my problem was, is, and always will be with Dean Smith. He tried to take him once and failed. That should have ended it, but this KANSAS ALUM comes back just a couple of months after being honored at center court in AFH and hits on Roy a 2nd time. I've always been surprised that HE hasn't incurred more of the wrath from KU fans over the years instead of Roy. Roy's a good guy and a good coach and Smith put him in a tough spot TWICE! If Smith never sets foot in the state of Kansas again, I'll be just fine with it!

BucknellJayhawk3 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow, we've got a ton of guys between this year's class and next year's. Playing time is going to be pretty tough. I wonder if the players on the current roster ever hope that KU doesn't get good recruits so they have a better chance to play. It'll be interesting to see what happens to guys like Mason and Anrio over time. Will they become starters or key role players by their upper class years or do they look into transferring if they aren't patient with the process. I remember when Travis Releford was a freshman thinking man, how is this guy going to start for KU in the future? Looks like he's doing pretty good for himself now, though.

Another random thought: With all these new guys I just want KU to protect the ball. I hate seeing turnovers more than anything.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

Randle...can he still be giving us a look?

Roberson would be a nice edition also...

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, prepare yourself, because there will be MANY turnovers to witness. This teamvwill win with its defense. At least for the first half of the season...

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Doesn't Fraschilla still have a son playing on a Big12 team? Anybody else a little bothered about him being at our practice?

LubbockJhawk85 2 years, 2 months ago

No, I'm sure Self has the final say on who's allowed and who isn't. Fran has been in the media for years and is a big admirer of Self/KU. I doubt he's getting any special insight into the HCBS game plan for our first matchup with OU on January 26th.

brooksmd 2 years, 2 months ago

Damn, #2 class. Not bad for a coach that can't recruit. And I think a special jersey for Josh Swade should be hung from the rafters of AFH for his hard work and dedication to getting the rules back to KU. Shoot, even my wife was engrossed in the show last night and she's from Louisiana.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, where is that KY troll now with his comments about HCBS not recruiting well?

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

My least favorite commentators are ex-coaches who were fired due to their incompetence but then come onto a broadcast and want us to believe that they have it all figured out. At least with ex-players, there is a little bit of buffer, but failed coaches have no credibility to me. I'm not really interested in what Fran thinks Bill Self should do in any game situation.

jc1306 2 years, 2 months ago

I think Fran is one of better commentators and evaluators without bias thats out there. Just because ex-coaches don't coach anymore doesn't mean they're incomepetent. They all got the job becuase they were successful coaches somewhere at some point. You just don't get dumb, there are many circumstances that go into winning and losing. Is Gillespie an incompetent basketball mind? He won like crazy at A & M but couldn't get it done at Kentucky or Tech. Other circumstances kept him from succeeding ( all his fault) but doesn't mean he can't coach. People skills, leadership, motivating players and running an organization play a lot into it. Not just what you know about the game.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

1995 MAAC COY took Manhattan to 2 NCAA tourneys in his 4 years there with a 10 pt victory over 4 seed OU. Then took SJU's back to the tourney after the program fell apart under Mahoney. Guy knows a thing or two about basketball.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

We're back were we should be with the #2 recruiting class.

We were top 5 class staple for Self's first 5-6 years.

Yet somehow, people still don't believe what we witnessed the past 3 seasons up until now wasn't a recruiting slump!

i'll never understand it!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I can't speak for everyone, but it's dang hard for me to whine about recruiting when we go to the National Championship game.

David Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

Amen brother! Recruiting: most of the time you're gonna lose out. That's just the way it is. Self is the whole package: recruiting, coaching, organization, media friendly, rules & regulations etc etc. Before any fan gripes & bitches about Self or the KU program, ask yourself: Who else would you rather have?

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Honestly, I still think we need a big man for 2013. Selden is already my favorite player for next year but I would trade him for a dominant center...

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

What does it take to please us KU fans anyway? :)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

kellerman - you know I usually have a satirical, BS kind of answer handy for most any situation, but this is my honest, sincere answer to your question.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but I think a lot of fans feel this way. We have a "program" that has been elite for a very long period of time. Not every single year, but historically an elite program. We have, and should have very high expectations.

Personally, I don't EXPECT to win the NC every year, but I hope to. And very much of the time, my hopes are not out of line. Much of the time, we have that opportunity.

It's a great program. Great tradition. Great Coaches. Great fieldhouse. Great basketball town. And ---- GREAT fans.

For all that - what it takes to please me is just playing hard, playing smart, playing classy. With the players we normally have and the coach we have, that will take us deep into the tourney most years.

Oh yeah - and we have to win the B12 Championship every year for the rest of eternity.

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Ha! Yeah the B12 ship is a must however we all must understand that it will end. As the streak gets longer and longer the pressure will build and build until it is strong enough to crush whatever Jayhawk roster is playing then. The good news is that when it does end, we get back to neutral and it all starts again. I bet Self gets to at least 12 years provided we can land a couple big men this year and next. He might even be able to make a run at Wooden's streak.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

valid points.

I recognize that there is alot more that goes into a teams success than just talent alone. If talent alone was everything Scott Drew and Rick Barnes would have multiple titles to their name(lol!). But i still beleive talent is the aspect that tends to have the biggest impact on a program.

I never took any pleasure highlighting the staffs recruiting struggles. I'm glad they appear to be over. my ultimate frustration is with the fans that just can't accept the fact that sometimes the staff makes mistakes.

A truly passionate fan puts the program above all else, including the coaches, and in an attempt to defend the program they will illuminate mistakes being made by the coaches. there arent enough of those fans on this site.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Let's set the record straight, benny.

Self's 5th year at KU - He didn't have a stellar recruiting class this year, despite what you believe. Cole Aldrich was our best recruit that year (4-star, ranked no. 30). Other than that, the recruits were all 3-star and ranked lower than 100. So it's not true that Self had a top 5 class his 5th year.

6th year - Bill Self also didn't land any 5-star, Top 20 recruits. That year, our best guys were the Morris twins, who were 4-star, Top 50 recruits. It was a really good class, to be sure, but Bill Self has brought in better, rankings-wise (this last sentence is why you can't completely rely on rivals rankings to assess recruits, by the way. Make no mistake, the Morris twins were two of the best basketball players to ever grace the James Naismith court, no matter what their rankings were).

7th year - Self brought in a ridiculously good class with Xavier, EJ, Withey and TRob. That was one of his best classes ever.

8th year - Selby and Woolridge. One excellent recruit, one dud. Obviously we all wanted more out of Selby while he was here, but ranking-wise Self couldn't have done much better than getting Josh Selby.

9th year - This is the down year (thanks in large part to the Morris twins and Selby not declaring for the NBA draft until the 11th hour, forcing Bill Self to make a mad-recruiting-dash in an attempt to salvage the year's recruiting class). But we came out of it all right, ending up with one mega-talent in BMac in addition to 3 really solid role-players in Tharpe, Traylor and Young. So even in a "down" year, Kansas didn't see a very big dip in talent.

10th year - Self started to return to form with the signing of Perry Ellis (a 5-star, Top 25, 4-year scoring machine), Andrew White, Rio Adams and Zach Peters. The latter 3 players here will be solid bench players this year, and will eventually become starters and will be integral parts of Bill Self's team as the years go by.

11th year - #2 recruiting class in the nation. One of Bill Self's best recruiting classes ever. Several extremely talented players that will have an immediate impact.

So you see, it fluctuates every year. The data shows that there is no pattern of bad recruiting. There are some "really excellent" recruiting classes and some that are just "excellent." It's recruiting, benny. It's a crap-shoot. It isn't science. You can't blame Bill Self for players that choose other schools, especially when you factor in his W/L %, Big 12 titles, Final Fours and the National Championship over a very loaded Memphis team.

David Brown 2 years, 2 months ago

"It's recruiting. It's a crap-shoot." How true. So many players, so many schools to choose from---how can anyone predict where they all will land. Coach Self, I believe, can "sell" as well as any out there. And, at KU, he has quite a lot to sell. In my opinion, the next three years are going to be REALLY exciting for KU basketball.
How many posters here, regardless of their zeal and loyalty, have ever run or coached a team? Easy to be a Monday-Morning QB regarding how players eventually choose schools. Do we get EVERY top player? No. Name a school that does. Nobody does. Call it blind faith if you will, but I'm willing to put my faith in HCBS each and every year. Who else would you rather have?

Dan Harris 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank You Josh for all your hard work zig zagging the country in your pursuit to bring the rule back to their only natural venue.

Thank You Mr Booth for graciously parting ways with 4.3 Milllllllion to bring the rules home.

Now we will be able to not only walk reruits through the hallowed shrine that is "The Phog" but show them the holy grail too!

Props to Dr Allen for helping to close the deal ! RCJH!

Timmay97 2 years, 2 months ago

That ESPN documentary last night was simply awesome. For anyone who "couldn't remember" the final tally for what the Naismith rules went for was in for a real treat. I think some of us forget that these guys were jumping up by $100K each bet. How many of us make 100K in a year? I would venture few.

In any case......somewhat off subject but I thought you all would enjoy some good reading material courtesy of Wikipedia dedicated ALL to the Kansas Jayhawks. A lot of material here for you to read for that day you're bored or at lunch while at work.

Enjoy! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 2 months ago

The 11 losses Kansas accrued in 1988 are more than any other National Champion have before or since. The win garnered the team the nickname "Danny and the Miracles". Earlier, near the start of the tournament, Dick Vitale had been asked about Kansas' chances and commented "If Kansas wins, I'll kiss the Jayhawk on the floor of Allen Fieldhouse." Eventually, he did make good on his promise

Can I get a copy of that photo?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

MAN ! I want so badly to make a comment about Bruce Weber kissing something if K-State ever beats us again, but I just can't do it.

jgkojak 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, the "miracle" part is a bit of a myth - KU was a Top 20 team entering the season in 1987-88 - had someone in November said "KU will be cutting down the nets" no one would argue much.

KU lost several players over the course of the year, hence their # of losses - they essentially had to rebuild a reasonably deep team to be a team carried by Manning - which coach Brown did expertly - and by March KU was back where they belonged - a very underseeded 6 seed.

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

In reference to some of the conversation on here regarding Nike vs Adidas and how it relates to college basketball. Probably the hottest hiphop song out right now is called Clique and is done by several heavy hitters in the hiphop world such as Jay-Z, Kanye West and others that most of us don't know much about. Anyway, in the song a rapper named Big Sean references Adidas basketball affiliations a couple times inbetween versuses. Like I said this song is huge right now and these rappers influence kids heavily. I never used to notice things like this until Bate and everyone else started talking about it but I think its real.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

And those verses include:

Your money too short, you can't be talking to me
    Yeah, I'm talking LeBron, we ball in our family tree

Turn that 62 to 125, 125 to a 250
    250 to a half a million, ain't nothin' nobody can do with me

It's the Dream Team meets the Supreme Team
    And all our eyes green it only means one thing

I bet The Slime knows all the words.

Miguel Colón 2 years, 2 months ago

Can we bring Roy home and thank him for the success he brought us? Yes I was hurt and upset when he left, but as the years have gone so too has the pain. Please bring Roy back so we can give him a night and make him feel HOME AGAIN!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

What Mr. and Mrs. Booth did for KU should never be understated, nor should Josh Swade's organizational efforts. For Vitale to argue that there's a case to be made for other schools really is absurd because he makes that statement as if there is a legitimate case for other schools .. sure, you can argue for any top school. But there is only one legitimate home. KU.

I thought about why KU didn't endorse this effort, why the University tried to dissuade Mr. Booth, and who was making those decisions/efforts. It's about money. My guess is KU (and our lovely chancellor) didn't want Booth or any other donor expending resources on the rules of basketball vs. other KU causes that might have been more important to her/them. There are only so many dollars to be donated. When there is no other legitimate answer, then money tends to drive it. I'm curious if anyone else has a theory there?

Thank goodness for visionaries.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

When someone spends the kind of money on something that the Booths did, the ROI on it is going to be next to nothing monetarily. It very easily can be argued (and apparently was) that doing something like this is not smart financially. I have to believe that's why KU didn't want to get involved, I believe that's why some of the other donors didn't get involved, and that's why David Booth seemed hesitant to go all in originally. There are somethings that are just more important than making money and I'm glad that Mark Allen and Bill Self were able to convince David Booth of that. I will also say that there are only two places in the world other than KU where these rules could've ended up that I wouldn't have complained about and both are in Springfield, Mass. The Springfield YMCA since that's where the game was invented and the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Greg Ledom 2 years, 2 months ago

Random comments.

1) 30 for 30 There's No Place Like Home was fantastic. A huge committment from Mr. Booth that no one else was willing to make. Can't wait to see The Rules in Allen Fieldhouse.

2) Sweet recruiting class that isn't yet finished. The future is well preserved for more runs.

3) Let the Roy hatred go. The dude went HOME. Anyone who has not ever gone back on something they said can cast the first stone. Here is what Roy didn't think would happen; another chance to go HOME because of the schools history and success with coaches. Who would have thought Matt would have failed like he did.

4) You may not like Vitale for his loud and overdone basketball one liners, but you can't question his passion and committment to the game. He mentioned several other high profile and history rich programs, but landed on KU as the place they belong. If you've ever watched a Vitale video of him talking to kids at a camp about what's really important in life you might (doubtful for the haters) change your mind on him. He's overdone at this stage, but not an idiot. Dude has a big Italion heart.

5) I know it may be tough to see, but on the football front, our football team is making progress people. We've had one game where the score was ugly, and that can be squarely attributed to the turnovers. I truly believe we are headed in the right direction.

jgkojak 2 years, 2 months ago

Agree- Roy has been a class act about giving KU its due - and taken much grief from Carolina backers - since he has 2 NCs they can't say squat, but he's taken grief.

And he went HOME to be with his extended family - I don't think anyone blames him - and, frankly, I think Self is a better coach and better recruiter, and we would probably be without a post-88 NC if Roy had stayed.

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

The beautiful thing about Roy is that he doesn't care if UNC people get edgy when he supports KU. He looks at it like, "Hey, fire me if you don't like it. Oh, you don't want to because we win? Then shut up I'll say what I want." Roy certainly has a pair of rocks down in the nether regions.

W Keith Swinehart II 2 years, 2 months ago

"Spot on" with all your comments. It's so hard to be patient and understanding sometimes. It's nice to come across comments to bring back the confidence.

Brak 2 years, 2 months ago

Great documentary and when Josh started the Rock Chalk chant in Duke arena I was rolling. I loved his comment about them being "new money" because they didn't start winning til the 90s. Love the guys passion and while it bordered on fanatical like he said, he knew what he was doing was a little far fetched but he didn't care because it made him happy. Even during the bidding scene I knew how it turned out but I was on the edge of the seat hoping he won the final bid. Everyday is a good day to be a Jayhawk but things like this make it a little better.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 2 months ago

I was shocked to hear KU was against Booth bidding on the rules.Who in the hell called and told him to back off? We didn't have an AD so who was it? Somebody in the chancellors office? WHO?

Thank goodness for Josh and his intensive efforts or this never, ever would have been done.

Why was he never able to get in touch with Self? I mean he could get an audience with Roy but not Self? That is very weird.

At the end of the day sure glad private investment stepped forth disregarding the shameful acts of KU.

aerohawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if it was an attempt at cost avoidance. A booster spends $4 million on the rules, you kind of have to build a building and put his name on some stuff.

oldalum 2 years, 2 months ago

I got the impression from the documentary that Josh found out that KU's hesitancy was because there were all kinds of rumors that it wasn't an original printing being sold, but a copy. They sure wouldn't want one of their major donors being scammed. That's why Josh went to Sothby's and made sure they had verified it.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 2 months ago

They were going to have them verified no matter what Josh did. They aren't stupid. LOL.

Like I said it was never said who at KU was putting the bad mouth out to Booth to not bid. A very sleazy thing to do indeed. I hope Dr. Zenger canned the person(s) at KUAC behind that dirty trick.

Why wouldn't they have wanted KU to have them? Now we will have more fans and tourists wanting to see these and that's good economics.

Sometimes it just amuses me at the idiots in charge.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

One reason KU may not have wanted Mr. Booth to bid on the rules is because that's $4.3 million that could've gone to other projects that had a higher priority at the time, such as a new T&F facility to pave the way for major renovations to Memorial Stadium that they are just now getting around to.

Mel Clare 2 years, 2 months ago

We have to also remember this as a big difference for this team........Traylor and BMac have a semester and full practices under thier belts compared to the other "frosh" new comers.......Traylor and BMac will be ahead of the learning and conditioning curve and we should look at "sophs on court" for these two..........

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Proposition: College Basketball OAD Draft Lottery"

After reading that KU's second ranked recruiting class is 10 to 20 ranking positions inferior to UK's regarding every recruit, the non UK schools need to band together and lobby the NCAA to establish an OAD draft lottery. It works for the NBA and apparently has established legal precedent.

Here is one way to do it.

Each OAD picks three schools he would be willing to play for.

Each of the three schools picked have to have different shoe company contracts and different agency contracts. The shoe companies and agencies have to be independently owned with no interlocking board memberships or joint holding companies. This will force the emergence of a more diversified, stable and more symmetric ShoeCo and agency oligopoly; a regime more typically found in and more fitting with producer oligopoly economics today.

The player then draws straws in a televised , primetime event each year to see which school he will attend.

Each school can only be listed on five OADs selection lists. Once the school is on five OAD's lists then the school is closed to further listings and remaining OAD's must select other programs.

The straw drawing will occur after the deadline for conventional signing of all non OAD recruits and after the deadline for all early departure decisions by non OAD players.

Any one that chooses not to be an OAD has to stay 3 years.

If asymmetry by shoe contract and/or agency affiliation later emerges amidst non OAD recruits, then the system will be extentended as far into incoming recruiting classes, as necessary to remedy the asymmetry.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Dude, you're is wrong as always. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

My alias is sane as the day is long. So: that leaves you in the Crazy Suit, JayDiggityDogster. :-)

Gotcha!

Next.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

JayGetDownAndBarkLikeaDog,

I get it!

JayDogger works for The Complex, right? :-)

What kinda shoes ya be wearin' today, my little puppy?

Double Gotcha!

With a triple on top!

Next.

:-)

2 years, 2 months ago

jb ~ What would the guidelines look like for a College Basketball OAF Draft Lottery? :^)

Jerry Rockhold 2 years, 2 months ago

Lest we not forget, Bob Knight many times is one of the worst prepared, most mistake-proned coaches-turned-broadcasters of all time. Fran will be well-prepared & unbiased in stark contrast to Knight. Be thankful for the change & let's keep KU BB a "BOB-FREE" zone. RCJH, GO KU!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Help me here: 1. TRob gone, schollie to Perry 2. Tyshawn gone, schollie to Conner F. 3. Conner T. gone, schollie to Brannen 4. 2013 schollie to Frank 5. 2013 scollie to Wayne 6. Keith's cousin returns schollie for Embiid

Question to my illustrious fellow posters...where do scholarships come from for Randle and Gordon. Unless David Booth starts paying for tuition for a couple of guys, aren't we Jayhawks about done????????

PS taped the show...replayed it three straight times. New term for any enthusiastic Kansas fan,, I'm a "Joshhawk"!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

PS OOPS.Perry 2012, the rest 2013..still, how do we get Randle AND Robertson, although, in reality, it is probably a moot point.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

LJW...this is the goofiest post I have yet put on the site...please substitute anything from ralster, HEM or BigManU...sorry guys

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Oak: Initially, I don't think Self gets more commitments than scholarships. So I think it's Embiid or Roberson in the fall, assuming both commit now and sign somewhere. So we assume we get one, or a surprise like Jermaine Lawrence, for this discussion. The possibility of a spring signing then would come if a scholarship opened up. Options for a scholarship becoming miraculously available:

1. Adams transfers - If he has a bad first year, doesn't play, sees the competition ahead of him.

2. Lucas/Peters/Traylor - One transfers. I had felt this was a bigger possibility than Adams (after Doyle left). But getting four guard commits, and no post commits, changes the game a bit. It's still tight. Ellis + these three, plus perhaps whomever takes the 5th scholarship,plus senior walkon Wesley, will get the one lowest on the totem poll of these three thinking. If we land Embiid or Roberson or by some awe-inspiring strike of lightning, Lawrence, one will go. It's just numbers. Even with this stockpile of bodies, Self had identified definitely wanting another big in the 2013 class.

3. McLemore turns pro - I just don't see it. But it's a possibility. Same potentially, remotely, for Ellis. Very remotely.

4. Mason/Selden/Frankamp/Greene - One decommits. If Mason did, it would not create much of a ripple. I can't believe he isn't reconsidering with the playing time limitations that will be obvious after the Selden commit (but see Tharpe below). If any of the other three did .. well .. I don't want to go there. Can't see anyone decommitting. There is a reason the committed. And all, except Mason, seem to be in great position for significant roles immediately.

5. Tharpe transfers - A bit of a wildcard possibility. But if he struggles this season, then he won't hang around. I'm betting he makes a leap forward, positioning himself to start his junior season. I am concerned by Self's statement on needing a point guard, though, in recruiting. He specifically said to take EJ's spot. That can be read a number of ways. It is pretty clear that a Barber, Jackson, or Jones would have come in and started over Tharpe. And what was said to Mason .. "hey, you'll beat out Tharpe?" Why would Mason come with all of this ahead of him -- Tharpe, Frankamp, Greene, McLemore, Selden. Wow. Unless there more to the story. All speculation.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh, and here's Self's quotes from July 31, before we got the Mason and Selden commits, fyi:

“We’re just trying to get the best players, period. We got a couple of commitments, but we need a big and a point guard to go with what we have,” Self said. He filled two of his four available 2013 scholarship slots last school year, garnering early oral commitments from Wichita North combo guard Conner Frankamp and Tift County (Forsyth, Ga.) High wing Brannen Greene. “We’re excited about what we have. If we can get another great player, that’d be a bonus,” Self said. “We are trying to get the best players possible. We do need an inside presence that could obviously replace Jeff (Withey), and a point guard to replace Elijah (Johnson) would be great.”

KansasComet 2 years, 2 months ago

Great post. Overages will be handled through Red-Shirt or Transfer. That's just the way it is .

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

A redshirt player still counts against the scholarship limit. If KU signs two more players, someone has to come off scholarship (not likely) or someone has to transfer or declare for the NBA early (more likely).

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Let me try this again:

1] Withey goes, Conner F. comes. 2] Releford goes, Brannen comes. 3] EJ goes, Wayne comes. 4] Kevin goes, Frank comes. 5] Keith's cousin gives up schollie to Jo Jo. 6] But how do we also get Randle AND Robertson??

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

The thing about competition is that it weeds out the weaker players. Count on a transfer, especially with the heavy hitters coming in.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Ben keeps being talked about as a likely early departure.

He seems to be the key on the last ride.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I can't be wrong on this, because I didn't take a position.

I just said he seems to be the key to the last ride.

That means you're wrong as always. :-)

Bill Horton 2 years, 2 months ago

I think we have an open scholarship since Doyle left after the Europe trip.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

EJ, Withey, Releford, and Young's scholarships are open because of them being seniors and those are the 4 scholarships that the currently signed 2013 recruits will slide into. Milton Doyle is scholarship #5 and I'm guessing Wesley is taking it again for this year and if KU misses on everyone else this year then Wesley will take it next year as well, but because Keith Langford has been willing to pay Wesley's way when necessary, that allows Self used to take Wesley off scholarship as necessary to sign another player. Signing more than 5 players would require someone to transfer or declare early for the NBA draft.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Ah, you did much better that time Oak. I'm running under the assumption Self sees BMac leaving, 'cause he has recruited heavily at the guard spot. If that doesn't happen there are any number of scenarios where you could see a player transfer out depending on how this season goes, or possibly Mason never ends up at KU if he and Self decide it isn't in his best interest. Would love to hear what the "plan" Self discussed with Selden was for his playing time.

Miguel Colón 2 years, 2 months ago

Can we get Josh Swade in the Booth Atheletic Hall of Fame?? He deserves a spot!

JHawk06 2 years, 2 months ago

Glad to see our recruiting class so highly regarded!

Is it just my wife and I or does anyone else feel the need to write letters to Mr. Booth (especially) and Dr. Allen to thank them for their unwavering support of KU? -and yes Josh too

I know they would most likely not even receive/read them but it just seems that there should be something we can do to show our appreciation.

Rock Chalk

Eric Bernauer 2 years, 2 months ago

I loved Josh's comment that others may think his priorities are screwed up. Well, they are screwed up! Your point being......? Aren't the priorities of all Jayhawk fans screwed up? That just means you're one of us!

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts on the article: The auction sale price was 3.8 million, not sure why it's reported here as 4.3 million.

Booth once donated 300 million to the University of Chicago. I think that's why it's the U of C Booth Business School.

Vitale praised KU in the documentary, not sure why people still are ripping him.

Self doesn't have the #1 class again? Fire this clown before he ruins the program!

A few more weeks til live basketball. Can't wait! RCJHKU!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

On the auction price: A "buyer's premium" .. call it a fee for doing business with Sotheby's. Looks like it was 15%.

Brian Skelly 2 years, 2 months ago

Any institution that fund raises views competing fund raising as such. I've known and dealt with directly in the academic, charitable foundation, faith based organizations. I can assure it's not peace, love and pancakes when it comes to fundraising. I've not dealt directly with academia with this, but I know folks who have. If there is some big project a University (or even a whole University system) is trying to launch, they will try like hell to knock down smaller projects -- say an Engineering department has some grant money for a project, but needs about 70% matching funds from corporate / personal donations. It's quite common for higher ups to either directly, or more often than behind closed doors and subtly, to try and squash it.

I've personally dealt with this in the charitable and faith based areas. I can tell you if it doesnt directly flow with whatever the 'up above' folks say, think, and want; its not uncommon or them to either railroaded or at minimum not promote it. Big range in there of course, but the principle is the same. There's only so many donate-able dollars to be given out. Especially in this economy.

It's unsurprising to me KU wasnt all that enthusiastic about it. Short sighted on their part in my mind. We all love KU, and almost all that goes with it. But KU hoops is the only true "window" that most folks see and hear of the university. At least outside the academic arena. Thankfully David Booth finally saw the value in that. Bless that fine rich man!!!

KUFlippin 2 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know where we could watch the 30 for 30 episode online?

oldalum 2 years, 2 months ago

For those who want to write and thank the Booth family, their address is listed in the Alumni Assoc. directory. Probably isn't their house, but it should get to them.

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

David & Suzanne Booth 4107 Lakeplace Lane Austin, TX 78746-1623

david.booth@dfafunds.comp>david.booth@dfafunds.com>

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Like someone else said above, I too think Swade should get his jersey hung, Booth too obviously. Before those two go up Naismith and Phog SERIOUSLY need to hang from the rafters. Perhaps a coaching tree with Naismith at the top.

Without doing a search, let's do a quiz for fun.

The rules have been in Lawrence:

A. Never before Booth bought them B. a brief time, 3 years, while Naismith was here. C. A year until Naismith mailed the rules to his mother. D. For the entire time he was at KU, for all two years. E. for the entire time he was at KU, 40+ years. F. For the entire time he was at KU, 40+ years, plus 10 years after his death until they were discovered by his family. G. I don't know H. The rules always resided in Springfield until Naismith's grandson took them for a tour a few years ago. After being purchased in New York, they have remained in a safe of David Booth until a proper structure is built adjacent to the Fieldhouse.

JayHok 2 years, 2 months ago

Dick Vitale's answer:

"A" or "B" or "G"

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Diversifying Scoring Can Protect Jeff, But It Puts Perry Squarely in the Cross Hairs"

Part 1

Fran Fraschilla appears to me to be doing some image management for Bill.

Recall, when assessing Jeff, that nobody expected Thomas Robinson to become the first or second best player in D1 last season.

Next, recall that Jeff had a triple double in one of the exhibition games last season, when he had to produce when Tyshawn and Thomas were out. Recall also that Jeff scored a lot in high school. Recall he's got a very good touch.

His two deficiencies from an offensive standpoint are: 1) not enough strength to carry rodeo cowboys on his back up to the rim to finish, and 2) not enough lower body weight and strength to sustain position on the low block when XTReme Muscle is being played.

I'm guessing he realized after last season how rich he could become and that he and Hudy have done a credible job at improving him on both counts coming into this season.

But Hudy can't apparently create a 240-250 enforcer at the 4 that will be needed to keep opponents from using Jeff as a kick boxing target, if Self announces KU will be playing through Jeff.

Self has apparently learned his lesson with the experiences of Cole, Marcus and Thomas, about announcing his intentions to play through a big. Cole was butchered. Marcus was worn to a frazzle by the end. And Thomas suffered the most disgraceful abuse of a big man in a Kansas uniform that I can ever recall. Wilt might have gotten worse, but opposing teams did not oppose him with benches full of 240 pound mug ballers allowed to foul indefinitely by refs keeping games in broadcast windows.

Self appears to be massively down playing Jeff for good reason. Without a legitimate enforcer on the floor, there is just no way Self can telegraph an intention to play through Jeff offensively. To do so would be like signing a contract for him to be XTReme Mugged.

Self can play through Jeff any damned time he needs to, unless its out and out mug ball.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Part 2

What he can't let happen, without an enforcer on the team, is to let teams scheme all season long to beat Jeff up the way they beat up Thomas last season, because Jeff probably can't take the physical beating Thomas was given last year. By season's end, Thomas' arms were taped, his legs were taped, and god only knows what kinds of bumps and bruises did not show on Superman's body.

What Self has to do is build a fully diversified scoring offense, as he did in '08, so that opponents will not key on Jeff, any more than they keyed on Darrell Arthur in '08.

Then, when the situation calls for a surprise attack, Self can play through Jeff the way Self worked through Darrell in a few big games in '08.

Fran and Bill appear to be pals. Fran appears to be doing his best to underplay Jeff, and pump up how sweet JamTray is, who of course Bill is saying is still very raw. But read the fine print on what Frannie said about JamTray. He's like a young TRob. Remember that as a freshman TRob could barely walk and chew gum and was very rarely on the floor. And as a soph, he was little more than a designated enforcer the first half of his soph season, when he almost fouled without moving. He blossomed into a fine third big the second half, but even then the fouling was unpredictable.

So: the question is: is Frannie saying JamTray will be like TRob as a frosh, or like TRob as a sophomore. Who knows? Self has been all over the map on JamTray. Last year he was likely to start ahead of Jeff. This year he is "getting better every day," but has played such a short time that Perry Ellis "...can have all the minutes he wants, if he just stays aggressive."

Here's the way the scoring has to look like for Jeff to be saved for crucial surprise attacks on offense, and so preserved from the beating that goes with being played through on offense.

EJ 15ppg Ben 15ppg Travis 12ppg Perry/Kevin 15 ppg Jeff 10 ppg Bench (Andrew, Zach, Justin, Landon) 8 Total 75ppg

This is a lot of scoring to expect from the starting six, but it has to be this way. The good news is that a healthy Travis could pick up the slack for EJ and Ben on bad nights.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Part 3

This team is going to turn out to look more like last year's team than a lot of board rat's think, unless it stays exceedingly healthy. And this will especially be true if injuries occur on the perimeter, as they did last year, where KU had to play EJ and Travis hurt. The perimeter starters will have to play hurt again, if the injury bug bites.

If Jeff has to average more than 10 ppg, the opposing teams will just butcher him till he is injured, and then KU will lose the fabulous defensive edge he creates. And without that shot blocking edge, KU lacks a TRob grade rebounder, so the vaunted Self Defense could come unglued in a hurry.

Protecting Jeff on the offensive end had to be PARAMOUNT on every player's mind. Because opponents are going to take their cheap shots on him on the offensive end in order to take him out of his defensive game. And they aren't going to have to worry about Thomas forearm smashing people for pay back this season.

Self keeps harping on Perry's aggressiveness, not because Perry is particularly lacking in aggressiveness.

Self is talking about it, because he knows he is about to throw Perry Ellis to the XTReme Dogs as a freshman in a way he never had to do with Marcus Morris, or TRob, or any big man. And he knows that things have gotten way, way rougher than they were when Cole got his face smashed in by MSU his sophomore season.

Frankly, I already feel terrible for Perry Ellis. He is a class act in every way. He is a straight A student. He obviously has a first rate mind. And he wanted to play some three.

But instead he is about to find himself caught up in a kind combat that frankly can't be comprehended for about half a season, or a full season.

Anthony Davis was considered the best player in the country as a freshman and he was subjected to some terrible beatings over the season. And even when everyone said he had matured into what people expected him to become by the end of his freshman season, in the Finals, after playing some spectacular run and bump for ten minutes of the final against KU, KU turned him into a 1-10 punching bag on offense who really went completely off the tracks and was saved mostly by his teammates and especially Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who was some kind of freak of athleticism and maturity at an early age.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Part 4

Self is going to really have to walk a tight rope with Perry Ellis this season.

He has to turn him into the scorer that draws the forearm smashes away from Withey and onto Perry. And yet doing this is exposes Perry to the kind of pressure that no freshman big, unless he is a once a decade type, should really be exposed to.

It will take some incredibly adroit coaching to keep Perry's confidence from getting riddled, and at the same type Perry is going to have to be a very quick study on the kinds of dirty play that is SOP in D1 today.

The logical thing for Self to do early is to play through EJ and Ben and Travis as much as possible, then play through Perry when there are comfortable leads already built up to try to establish his scoring bonafides. When the going gets tough, Self has to come with Kevin Young to do the bulk of the hairy chested stuff and sparking, whenever Perry gets dazed by the combat. And that's a daunting prospect since lion hearted though KY may be, he still stands 6-8 and 180 on the KUSPORTS.com roster.

The committee of Perry and Kevin are going to be crucial to this team, especially if Zach is out for the season with this cuff injury.

Here again, Frannie is right on the money about Perry, though putting it a bit in code. Perry is "...a deer caught in the headlights, but he knows how to get out of the headlights." Self appears to be gambling that Perry can get out of the headlights of oncoming thug ball. Perry is about to become the man with the Red X on his forehead inside...purposely.

Even when Self put the team on BRush's back as a freshman, BRush was at least outside, where he could run away from a lot of the abuse.

Not Perry.

From the minute Self can't find a way to play through his great outside trio of perimeter players, the ball has to go to Perry Ellis, the freshman in order to keep Jeff from getting hammered senseless. And everyone is going to know that's the game plan very shortly. And they are going to know that while Self can bring a lot of fouls, he hasn't got an enforcer and he has to protect Withey at all costs to save him for defense.

Perry, you are about to get trial by fire without any bullies on your side.

I wish you could wear a helmet. I really do.

Rock Chalk, Perry Ellis!

The direst circumstances offer the greatest opportunities.

Seize this one if you can. If Self believes you can do it, then you probably can.

But wear your mouth piece.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

jb: Excellent post .. enjoyed reading it. A couple follow-ups.

First, count me as surprised if Traylor amounts to much this season, or ever. I watched the Europe footage and it was way obvious (from what I saw) that Peters was a significantly superior player. I was quietly pretty pumped about Peters, his role, and what he could be for the team in the future. I still feel that way. But I hate the timing of the injury. And please don't say "out for the season" again. Back to Traylor ... the "mini-TRob" stuff, the "raw" comment, the "work in progress" ... it is all code words for "unskilled." I really believe that all Traylor will be is the muscle ball guy you refer to at times .. come in, inflict some pain. Probably will get those foul calls like Wesley. You know, where the foul count is in our favor because we're the better team, and the refs have to balance it bit. Traylor could take those bullets. The body to come in and bang ... 8 minutes, no points, 3 boards, 2 turnovers, 4 fouls. Traylor may just be a maxed-out Wesley, as opposed to a mini-TRob.

Second, I think you've correctly identified the guy in the cross hairs here - Perry Ellis. Can you imagine if he flops this season? In is not inconceivable that he underperforms what Marcus did his freshman year. And boy, do we need more than that. Back to Peters. Thinking through scenarios, I could have seen one where Peters was a bit ahead of Ellis based on need a the four spot. I just don't see Lucas or Traylor even be near regular playing time status.

I think Ellis is up to the job.

And you'd think if guys could grow a few inches on paper, they could give KY a five pound bump. Problem is, they probably already have.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Calipari on ESPN today said he has the best class that he has seen. Number 1 in recruiting and great, great coach.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

If you are a Jayhawk fan, this post makes no sense...if you are a UK troll it makes perfect sense. Are you saying a #1 class and great coach or is it Calipari saying it.

Please try again...in English this time.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

The august journal "Inside and Outside Animal Husbandry Experiments Reports Now!" reports that wildjayhawk is the first experimental cow with a glass side transplanted with a human brain.

Just joking here. Even smart cattle can't touch type, or hunt and peck with hooves. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, and they can't spell either. I've seen their billboards. Eat Mor Chikin! Seriously?

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Ramdle is impressed with sharks. He likes the Harrison's. Great blog, by a talented young man. He will make the decision that is best for him. It won't be made over a fish. His choices seem thorough and firm.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 2 months ago

Just finished watching the 30 for 30-wow, whata documentary! I'd give it an Emmy right now. What a tremendous, and I mean tremendous recruiting element for HCBS! This publically exemplifies what we fans at Kansas know is our rightful place in the legacy of this sport. Hell, I'd even put you on the payroll & give you a company car. Way to go Josh!

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 2 months ago

Rivals #15 6'9 PF/C Marcus Lee picks UK..likely to play the center position at UK...has ZERO effect on Randle's decision

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 2 months ago

KD...Once again, you said "He's deciding between Cal and UK. If you're someone who wants Randle, you want him to pick UK"...The decision by Lee to UK has ZERO effect on Randle's decision. Cauley plays Center and he has no effect on Randle's decision. If Wiltjer stays another year, possibly. If Wiggins reclassifies and goes to UK, he starts at the SF spot. Wiltjer and Randle would fight it out for the PF spot. The tweets from Randle yesterday about the Harrison twins still makes me think he is going to UK with Florida a possibility.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 2 months ago

KD...crowded or not crowded, the #1 ranked player isn't going to base probably the biggest decision in his life on what Lee or Willis has already done which is commit to UK. Neither one is going to take minutes away from Randle. Lee has already stated that he has no problem coming in and playing a reserve role as Young has stated as well. Cauley will be the starting Center next year. Randle wants to play the #4 spot. Only Wilter would be playing the same position. Not even getting into Wiggins situation until he reclassifies.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 2 months ago

And if you read his blog, tweets, and quotes, his desire to play with the best players (Harrison Twins) to win a national championship in probably the one year he plays college basketball trumps everything.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

Agree konkey 100% this will have a huge impact on Randle and uk.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Looks like Dooley is recruiting Cothron .. interesting guy to watch. I did see that he had been suspended for some illegal substances issue in 2011. But here's a link on who Dooley is recruiting.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

If what you say about Cothron is true, I don't want him. He may be a great player, but the off court crap won't work. I do like Roberon. What little vid I've seen, he reminds me a little of a raw Julian Wright without the fash.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

It just seems to me that if Roberson is willing to leave the NJ area, all this is good news in that pursuit.

Alex Peekeaton 2 years, 2 months ago

What I'm hearing is Roberson plays a lot like Kidd-Gilchrist and that is why Calipari has just stepped up on his recruitment in the past month. But with all the recent signees, I think he will choose another school. Definitely a very underated player and a huge pickup for anyone who gets him.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

How about those Wildcats, Kansas ST. rated number 4, ha, bet that really sits well with the KU fans. KU lagging behind again.

DPW 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't forget Coach Calipari has a $u$pect recruiting $y$tem in place....thus they have the number one recruiting class once again