Monday, October 8, 2012

Point guard Frank Mason commits to KU basketball

Point guard Frank Mason. (Rivals.com contributed photo)

Point guard Frank Mason. (Rivals.com contributed photo)

Frank Mason, a 5-foot-11 point guard from Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., has orally committed to Kansas University, Mason told the Journal-World on Monday afternoon.

Mason, who is ranked No. 131 in his class by Rivals.com, said he chose KU over Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Providence, Seton Hall and Rutgers.

Mason originally committed to Towson his senior year at Petersburg (Va.) High School but reopened his recruitment after not qualifying academically, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Mason's stock grew over the summer when he posted 50 points off 16-for-21 shooting in the 804 All-Star Game. He received interest over the summer from Tennessee, Louisville, Seton Hall and UConn.

KU offered Mason a scholarship in July after watching the lead guard’s AAU team win a tournament in Las Vegas.

“I chose KU because of its tradition, coach (Bill) Self’s winning percentage and the type of players they have there,” Mason said. “I want to align myself with players of that ability and character. They are all the type of people I want to be around.

“It’s a great program, from academics to basketball. I talked with the players (on official visit last weekend) a lot and knew it was the right place for me. It’s a great program. They’ve won a lot of Big 12 championships, made a lot of Final Four appearances and have multiple national championships. It’s a dream come true.”

Mason, who weighs 180 pounds, said he’d like to pattern his KU career after that of former point guard Sherron Collins. “He was a great player and I’d like to do the same type things,” Mason said.

At Petersburg, he averaged 25 points per game his senior year and finished his career with 1,901 points.

"He's a tough kid," Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi said. "He's an off-the-dribble attacker. I personally have never seen him shoot the ball that well, but I have been told by plenty of others who I trust that have seen him more than I that that's not the usual case; he's actually a much better shooter than what I have seen in my own personal viewings.”

Comments

Bernard Gregory 1 year, 6 months ago

This may be the last time I post until next year because I know that words are what they are mere words ,but I will assure you that Kansas will not be disappointed in Frank Mason. This youngman has became focused on and off the court and I will tell you as good as he is he will only get better.If you had gotten to see him play as I have and you don't have a horse in the race I can personally tell you that there are not 130 high school seniors better than him not only in the class of 2013 ,but 2012 as well. And by the way the only reason that the power houses didn't recruit him is because he wasn't mature or focused as he is now ,but by no means does it have anything to do with his talent. If he was a single minded basketball player he could have scored 50 points a game easily his sophmore, juinior and senior year in high school.One last comment being that his high school team didn't have but maybe 1 player over 6"3 most times Frank was called on to battle with the other teams bigs and during a state championship run almost averaged 15 rebounds a game. You ain't gonna see a tougher guard at his size.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh dear god, this recruiting snowball just cannot be slowed down. In 3-4yrs from now, we will be hard pressed to get to 25wins. The race for the reg season title will be an absolute dogfight. Kiss a final four appearance goodbye. In 5yrs, the $53million dollar man will have to move on, and we will be asking Frank Martin, Dana Altman, Billy Gillispie, Frank Haith, Josh Pastner, etc...(or maybe Shaka Smart or Ben Anderson or that Butler guy, what was his name?) to come in here and "please take over on recruiting, since that fell into the abyss". Is that the correct sentiment, folks? Maybe Turgeon or Danny would be up to snuff by then, eh? Tough times ahead...

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

Reading through the posts, it almost sounds like we need about 20 players starting every year.

If I think about it, there are 5 people that are key starters and usually 2-4 bench players that see solid playing time, all others are being groomed to take over in the future or preparing to transfer.

If I do the math, that means on the high side you need to have 9 players active at any given time, divide that by 4 years and you need 2-3 good recruits every year.

Reading the comments, I almost get the impression that if we don't recruit a solid team every year (5 recruits) we might as well sign up for 8th in the Big 12.

We already have two top 30 commits and I'm sure we will land another Top 100 recruit. Mason is just icing on the cake. He knows that if he works, he can make some money in the long run.

JHWK 1 year, 6 months ago

Congrats, Frank, and welcome to KU! You will LOVE it here, and just ignore all the whiners! You know what opinions are like....! Use their small-mindedness (pun intended) as motivation for yourself on the court and in the classroom.

Your only limitation on what your career at KU will be like is your personal commitment.

Best of luck, and I look forward to watching your career!

Rock Chalk!

Jim Williamson 1 year, 6 months ago

"Mason, who weighs 180 pounds, said he’d like to pattern his KU career after that of former point guard Sherron Collins. 'He was a great player and I’d like to do the same type things,' Mason said."

Welcome to Lawrence, Frank!

Signed, McDonald's Dunkin Donuts Pizza Shuttle Every all-you-can-pound Chinese buffet in Douglas County

Bernard Gregory 1 year, 6 months ago

I know that most people on here like these high ranked players even though most of the time you never even seen them play and relying on someone else opinion. But for the record Big Cat Barber ranked # 9 in the country couldn't carry Frank Mason shorts more or less out play him so thats for this ranking stuff and for someone to say that he don't have ups its obvious that you haven't seen him play. Not only does he have ups but played on a team that had no size in high school and carried them to the State Championship game against your Big Cat and watch the tape if you can and see how dominant he was whenever they played head to head . No Kansas got the better of this deal and it makes me angry that some of ya'll are that unappreciative of it and I wish from listening to most of ya'll on these posts that he would have went somewhere else because he is going to shine wherever he goes and would have made any team a contender no matter who they had. Yes he had isuues with his grades and not because he was a dumb kid but he made dumb decisions, but that what some kids do but thats why life gives you opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll wait for the end of recruitment season before I pass judgement. But we can't be cherry picking to many more of these kids.

jayhawker97 1 year, 6 months ago

i love this kid already. nice dribble, 3pt, drive, and contact. welcome to Jayhawks family, mr. Mason!

toots_mom 1 year, 6 months ago

He has already had pretty serious academic problems--what's to say he won't continue that at KU? A scholarship wasted? I hope not.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

So we've signed a 1, a 1/2 combo. & a 3. Would seem like we now need a 4 & a 5...maybe a 2 if McLemore's an OAD. Embiid while a project should still be priority #1 right now.

Ryan Knuth 1 year, 6 months ago

Damian Lillard was a 2 star player out of high school and he was drafted #6 overall this past summer in the NBA draft. Was Lillard playing against the top D-1 talent while he was at Weber State, no, but the kid was good enough to go in the top 6 in the NBA draft... one pick behind Thomas Robinson. Do I think Mason will be better than Lillard? Do I think Mason will be an NBA player? Who knows... but I am not going to hate on him until I see him suck in a Jayhawk jersey.

Justin Daniel 1 year, 6 months ago

Everyone talks about how Coach Self does with lesser talent, but the truth is his best classes, rating wise, 03-04 and 04-05 were the ones that won a NC.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 6 months ago

I am at a loss of words at the fact that Shepherd committed to TCU. I refuse to buy this close to home stuff that seems to be the speculative explanation for every recruit that chooses the basketball powerhouses that are Notre Dame and North Carolina St. If your dream is to go to the NBA, do you still want to live with mom while you do that? Are you really that afraid of growing up? Anyways. My first thought was Lebryan Nash, although that seems to be kind of an insult to a program that is at least somewhat competent, but I guess the same principle applies. Nash was forced to choke down a huge dose of reality twice this year (although he didn't get to play in one of those games) when KU absolutely slaughtered OSU. Enjoy that over the next few years while OSU plays in front of 11 people against schools like Iowa St. I don't foresee TCU winning more than five conference games in the next three years. Enjoy that, Karviar. But then I have to remind myself that the vast majority of kids that go to schools like TCU or NC State over KU don't really care about a school with a tradition of winning because they want the spotlight, which may be a little difficult when you lose every game by 40 points, but more than anything I just don't understand giving schools second looks that have few, if any former players to point to in the NBA when you think in terms of development. Let's face it, few kids are NBA ready, and if they are, it doesn't say anything about the coach if they leave after a year. It makes me wonder how many kids have decided on schools that did nothing for their development only to be an utter disappointment in or after college. But I digress. I don't want to speculate on potential scenarios because it will just piss me off when they don't come true. I'm just praying that Mason's commitment won't deter Peters from giving us a good look.

Justin Daniel 1 year, 6 months ago

This class is shaping up like the 10-11 class, lots of near misses. I can't help but fell like Seldon will go to Florida, Embiid to Texas and Roberson to Kentucky. Who is coming to late night now, besides Gordon (who we all know is not coming here)?

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

One last piece of info for the evening. ISU and Kansas each have two Rivals top 100 recruits. Trent Johnson adding Shepherd gives TCU one. No other big12 team is represented on the list.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Frank Mason is 5-11, lacks springs, shoots an underhand scoop shot on most of his drives that will be blocked every time he tries it in D1, and he releases his trifecta from below his eyebrows.

Naadir Tharpe looks like an OAD next to Frank Mason.

But here is what Frank Mason appears to have that other PGs Self has been trying to recruit lack.

Mason is apparently able to sign with whomever he wants.

Self is apparently filling up his roster with guys who are not part of the ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency Complex.

Self is loading up and hoping that sooner or later the NCAA has to weigh in with sanctions.

And when the NCAA does weigh in, most of the teams in D1 are going to not qualify.

And Self is going to have the best team of guys that can pass the crack down.

Or so it seems right now.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know how good this kid is, and I don't know how nice this kid is, and I don't know how well this kid will fit in with players already here. But I know one thing, and one thing that makes this kid better than any of those other kids you guys are talking about, ie the twins at UK, the kid that's going to TCU, and all those dudes. This kid was smart enough to choose to spend his college career in the greatest town, at the greatest university, with the greatest fans, with the hottest cheerleaders, with the best college basketball program, on and on and on. That makes me a fan right there! Welcome, Frank!

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

Ok, I'm going to try something new. instead of speaking truth to power right now. which i know will only be met with resistance and the typical questioning of my fan allegiances. I'm just going to let the new-commitment-euphoria wash over the kool-aid drinkers and talk about this situation at a latter time.(although reading the previous comments I'm glad to see more people are waking up to the situation)

On a plus note. Bill Self is 5 minutes from my house right now doing an in home visit with Tyus Jones. I can't wait to finally get a first hand account of how he tries to sell the program to recruits.

KUfanInFlorida 1 year, 6 months ago

I am really dissapointed with this commitment. I thought Peters was a big possibility especially that he is visiting late night. Shepherd choosing TCU was really strange. Looks like Bill Self is not able to land the top players. Mason was clearly a back up back up back up plan.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 6 months ago

Remember, during the past 10 years, Bill Self has won more games than anyone else in college basketball. Therefore, I believe he must have a plan and a reason for the moves he makes. We learned first hand that the highest ranked players out of high school are not always the best at playing a team sport at this level. The ultimate success will be measured by wins and losses and championships, not by "experts rankings of high school kids". Self has won a mere 8 Big XII championships in a row and one national championship, I would strongly urge fans to trust that our head coach knows what he is doing.

rnrover81 1 year, 6 months ago

Thank you HighEliteMajor for speaking the truth. Enough of the "trust in HCBS" every time we counter a top-5 recruit with a much lower one. I have been around long enough to know these rankings are bogus but only to a point. HCBS should be landing top 50 recruits, but it is becoming concerning that he is getting beat out by not only Kentucky but also by schools with a much lower reputation. I understand there is a lot to still happen, but something is wrong when Kansas is battling Towson for a player. I will say that schools running a dribble-drive offense will always have an edge over the high-low offense of HCBS in the recruitment of point guards. I am still hopeful their are a couple of big announcements coming for Kansas but this seems like a HUGE reach. I am also very concerned about the number of small guards. Elite programs will take advantage of this easily. Should Kansas ALWAYS be in the mode of "coaching up" players??

jhwkfanincali 1 year, 6 months ago

As long as he doesn't turn into Frank "The Brick" Mason on the court, we will be fine. Rock Chalk!

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

Hate to say i told ya so. This tells me that the class may be bigger than the 5 open scholarships. We should never assume a player is leaving, but I'm going to anyways. I said last week that Mason commits this week, but why not make him wait? He's not going to commit anywhere else if coming to Kansas is still an option, even if they are making him wait in hopes of landing a bigger fish (Peters). I see a class of 6, or seven!

april28 1 year, 6 months ago

I'd like to know the average ranking of the players at Mizzou last year. They had a pretty good team. Were they all 5-stars? How about the Kansas Jayhawks? Were they all 5-stars?

Hmmmmm........

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

Just maybe Mason was Self's choice over Shepherd? Hard to imagine, but the timing of his SMU acceptance is such that maybe he was waiting to see if Self would offer, rather than Self waiting to see if Shepherd would commit to Kansas. I don't generally like under sized guards because they can be a defensive liability, but Self must have thought he was in desperate need of the guy.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree with most of you. Not too excited about this sign but I only hope to get proven wrong. I guess I was just hoping for a bigger guard with more strength and athleticism. It's not the ranking that even bothers me so much.

Selden has become the most important get at this point. I think he would compliment Tharpe and Frankamp much better. Throw in Randle, Gordon, Vonleh, Embiid or Roberson and I think everyone will be all smiles.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Top 10 reasons we should put a positive spin on the Mason commitment:

1. Self knows best.

2. Barber, Jones, Jackson, Jordan, Peters, et. al., weren't really that good.

3. Randle must be coming now!

4. Rankings don't matter.

5. He's tough .. you know, Chicago tough (but from Virginia).

6. We have Greene and Frankamp, we can't get ever one we recruit?

7. We still can get Shepherd ..er, scrap that.

8. He's a "diamond in the rough" .. special thanks to Jackalope 7 for being the first on this thread. God bless you.

9. Calipari cheats, so what do you expect?

10. Heck, he looks good on youtube.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Has there ever been a time when we, the posters and trolls on this site have ever waited to dog a player after he has actually logged some playing time?

Pitthawk34 1 year, 6 months ago

1/2 of these comments are from trolls from mancrappy and como.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone hear anything about how Embiid's visit to Texas went?

april28 1 year, 6 months ago

“I want to align myself with players of that ability and character. They are all the type of people I want to be around."

A quote to make any dad proud. Many of us forget how impressionable we are, young, middle-aged or old. Putting yourself in good company is always a smart idea.

In my vast recruiting experience, I've come to learn one thing: If Bill Self wants him...then I want him.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Mason!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Are you serious? Shepherd to TCU?!?!?! I was about 90 - 95% sure we were going to be getting him!

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

If Bill Self yet latches on to a top 30 big man plus Joel Embiid, lots of the mutterings will cease. Coaching, tradition, and venue are still in our favor; but if highpowered recruits won't flock to Lawrence, then fans will have to bite the bullets and hope to retain enough teeth to smile for the cameras again in many more late Marches/early Aprils. Our coaching staff has to be disgusted with putting in so much earnest time angling for one and done hopefuls who continue to bite for lesser bait. Maryland? N C State? Louisville? Arizona? Baylor? Oklahoma State? Current coaching situation and reputation of UCLA? Bizarre commitments. Gotta wonder if Jaybate hasn't hit nail on head: shoe empires and AAU syndicates running the recruiting show.

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

HEM, Excellent analysis and post. You nailed it in the head.

texasjayhawk91 1 year, 6 months ago

Karviar Shepherd just committed to TCU...shocker. He will get beat down by KU for four years...Reggie Rankin ‏@ReggieRankin Breaking News: ESPN 100 #46 overall Center Karviar Shepherd is calling Trent Johnson right now he is headed to TCU!!

Ray March 1 year, 6 months ago

131?? Seems a bit low for a KU recruit.

I'd hate to have us fill a scholly slot and then miss out on a higher ranked point guard...

I do like the nickname "Frank The Tank" for him though... :)

JayDocMD 1 year, 6 months ago

Come on everyone!! Join me: "Take that Rutgers! In your face Frank Martin! Eat our dust Providence!"

...Sorry, I'm just not feeling it. I can't fake it.

Someone please tell me Frank and Wayne Selden are somehow related. Or went to the same summer camp growing up. I'll settle for passed each other at Walmart if it helps me understand how we are taking Towson's sloppy seconds.

Jackalope7 1 year, 6 months ago

I was kind of upset when I saw Frank Mason sitting at 131st on Rivals.com for 2013 recruiting class. But, I watched some youtube highlights. This may be a diamond in the rough, ladies and gents. He's got great handles, explosive, fast as hell with the ball. For a small guy, he's got good length. I'm not trying to say he is going to be a stud. I mean, there is a reason why he's rated so low. But, he plays like Phil Pressey of Mizzou. I hope I'm right, cause I don't care what you all may think of my next statment. Phil Pressey is a STUD. And anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 6 months ago

Jakabones 1 year, 6 months ago

Complete waste of a scholarship. I hope I eat my words, but I'm guessing he'll join the ranks of Woolridge, Appleton and Doyle--who all were so worth the scholarship.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont)

Remember, with Mason and lower ranked guys .. time probabilities and ceiling. Can they develop? Sure. It just might take more time than a higher ranked guy. Will they develop into a top player? It's just less of a probability. How far will they develop? It's just less likely that they have a high ceiling. See Tyrel Reed. Good player. But it took time and the ceiling was lower .. than say 5 star Sherron Collins. The report on Tharpe may end up being correct. But a guy like Anthony Barber may just come in during year one and be a player. Better talent. It's why coach Self goes after the top guys first.

Robin Smith had a great post a while back with guys that developed in the 100 - 150 range, and that worked out to 13.3%. Guys that exceeded their rankings. That's about our chance of having a player in Mason that exceeds his ranking. If he plays to his ranking, then he won't play much here. Such is the life of a #130ish player.

Really, our opinions on this commit should be reserved for when we know the content of the 5 man recruiting class. We just don't have the context yet to fully judge.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

(cont)

This is perhap the best part of this message board. I cannot resist replying:

stinkybulldog: Yes, Milton Doyle looked pretty good on video too. Chicago league, must be tough, etc. Read, compare -- look at scouting reports. Look at the alternatives. That's what's important. How does he compare to Self's first 5-7 preferences? Not our preferences .. but Self's preferences.

huskerpower: Bud, I'm sorry that you don't understand recruiting. Yes, he offered Mason in July. Ever heard of a conditional offer? Jordan? No. Barber. No. Jackson. No. Jones. No. Peters .. not gonna take a chance waiting .. Mason. Yes. At least choice number 6.

jayhawk92: I"m sure you said the same thing when Doyle signed. And Lindsay. And Traylor. And Anderson. And Lucas. Nevermind that if we trusted Self's judgment .. and his top 5 - 8 choices to fill scholarships before each of these guys, none would have been here.

wrwlumpy: Remember .. it's video. Remember .. it's ballhandling, but not against D-I pressure .. at 5'11 .. and against men .. like a 6'3" ballhawk (see Tyshawn Taylor). I can assure you Tharpe was a master with the ball in high school -- here's Tharpe's scouting report:

There may not be another point guard in the country who has won more high level basketball games than Tharpe. He is a true point who makes plays for himself and others, has a tight handle, excellent court vision, and pinpoint passing ability. He can drive to score or dish and shows great ability to read the defense and make decisions while in attack mode. He has floaters, pull-ups and wide angled lay-ups in his offensive arsenal and is an outstanding pick and roll guard. His jumper is much improved over the years and now consistent when in rhythm from 21 feet and in and his body strengthened enough to keep opposing defenders outside of the paint ..... He runs the team, handles pressure, and is one of the best in the country when "tuned in".

Question -- does this look like the Tharpe we saw here? It just takes time to adjust to D-I speed and pressure.

phog1004: Don't read anything into this regarding Tharpe. This is depth from a ballhandling standpoint. It is not reflection on Tharpe. This ensures 3 - 4 ballhandlers for 2013 -- Tharpe, Frankamp, and Mason (and Adams if he is competent to handle pressure). We needed the extra ballhandler in case of injury.

(cont)

Mel Clare 1 year, 6 months ago

Huh? We have EJ, Tharpe, ADAMS(everyone has forgotten already) and Frankamp coming in...................131st player? Has one year transfer written all over it! I saw the videos.......this kid goes into the lane like that in the Big XII and he will get clocked! I just dont see this one helping out much...........

Jakabones 1 year, 6 months ago

This is a joke. We make it to the Final Four and NC game and the best point guard Self can land is a 5-foot-10 kid with a weak jumpshot ranked #131 in the class of 2013? Of course Self can coach anyone up, but imagine how much better we'd do with him coaching up five-stars as opposed to lowly recruited former Towson commits.

makeshift 1 year, 6 months ago

I think we should've gone all in on Peters and Selden, and if that failed we could have just focused on stacking our frontcourt. Gordon, Randle and Vonleh are all longshots but possibilities nonetheless, and Sheperd's an 80% shot at least.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Here's ESPN's scouting report on Frank Mason, fyi:

Strengths: Mason is a very confident true point guard. He is a true floor general that can run the team. He pushes that ball and can shoot the 3 with deep range. Weaknesses: Mason is an average to good athlete at best. He can make deep 3's but his shot is more of a set shot. He will need to improve his speed and quickness and work to be a better defender in addition to adding strength. Bottom Line: Mason is a true point guard that has swagger and can run the team and make deep J's. He must work to improve his athletism and add strength but Mason can be trusted with the ball and has great upside.

If Mason is the 5th guy in this recruiting class .. for example, we add Selden and Shepherd (or Roberson). Or some other top 50. Terrific. We are all happy.

If Mason is the 4th guy in this class .. say we get Selden, Shepherd, or Roberson .. and Wesley or a Doyle/Lindsay type OAF add fills the 5th spot. Ok, at least we got 3 top 50s. Not the killer class we wanted and needed. But good enough that we smile.

If Mason is the 3rd guy in this class ... Cue up bennybob.

At least it seems like great news for Maryland (Roddy Peters).

(cont)

JayDocMD 1 year, 6 months ago

I propose a KUSports.com poll for Franks new nickname:

• Frank "The Insurance Policy" Mason

• Frank "Practice Squad" Mason

• Frank "Red Shirt then Transfer" Mason

• Frank "This Ain't Towson" Mason

I wish the kid the best, and maybe this is that proverbial diamond in the rough, but I'm afraid that KU is just grabbing any live body available in case Adams and/or Nadiir goes down or doesn't pan out. Think I'm being harsh? Think I'm wrong? Frank Mason, meet Royce Woolridge, Merv Lindsay, Quintrell Thomas, Tyrone Appleton, and Milton Doyle.

Krohnutz 1 year, 6 months ago

This post is less about Frank and more about Self vs. Calipari.

We used to get some serious recruiting looks, particularly out of Chicago. Can anybody do the research on what top 20 talent we have landed out of what used to be our goldmine (Chicago) since Calipari returned to college basketball?

Look, we all know the guy cheats (even the UK people smile when they say, "Nah he's clean...), with that said I think the system allows his methods. So can I blame the guy for implementing a method that works with the cards given?

We obviously perform on the court, and only the dumbest Mizzou haters will argue that, but in recruiting we have been getting beat. I find that odd considering Self has shown the capability to develop players that were questionable NBA talent upon entering college. He has the hardware, he has the performance, so what is going on?

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

KU is far and away the best offer that Mason had and I think he wants to see if he's up to the challenge, but history says probably not. Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed are the only two 3 star players who have had good careers at KU under Self. Jeremy Case is the only other 3 star that stayed around until graduation under Self. Quintrell Thomas (149 in 2008) transferred after 1 year. Tyrone Appleton (124 in 2006, went to JuCo for two years) left the program after 1 year. Royce Woolridge (120 in 2010) transferred after 1 year. Merv Lindsay (Unranked in 2011) transferred after 1 year. Jamari Traylor was ranked 141 in the 2011 and the biggest reason why he will likely be around until graduation is that he used his redshirt sitting out last year because of his academic issues which means he will lose a season to play if he leaves. Milton Doyle didn't even make it to boot camp before leaving KU. It remains to be seen what happens with Landen Lucas and Zach Peters, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one of them transfer out if Self lands one of the elite PF in this years class, likely Lucas. Frank Mason is an insurance policy and I would expect Self and his staff to really start focusing on 2014 PG's and if Self lands one those, then look for Mason to be looking to transfer out after 1 year like most of the other 3 star players Self has signed during his tenure at KU.

Miguel Colón 1 year, 6 months ago

Joe Ross 1 year, 6 months ago

Im worried too. And its not due to a lack of trust in Coach Self, his judge of talent, or his ability to coach players up. It's talent level. For example, in a week last week that saw Kentucky land Andrew and Aaron Harrison (two top-five recruits overall and tops among guards), we counter with a 131st-ranked recruit. I'm sure this kid is good, but the very last game played in college basketball is an experiment in what happens when you pit high-octane blue-chippers against players with the even the benefit of exceptional coaching. Regardless, he is in the fold now and should be welcomed enthusiastically. I'm sure he'll earn his scholarship.

Jakabones 1 year, 6 months ago

Calipari lands the Harrison Twins last week, and then this week Self lands a former Towson commit with no other major offers? What the heck has happened to Self on the recruiting trail?

Not happy with this commit. Looks like a Milt Doyle Part 2.0.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 6 months ago

This video says he's 3 inches taller. He looks like a much better ball handler than Naadir.

huskerpower 1 year, 6 months ago

Bill offered in July, this likely isn't a case of being worried who we were gonna get. He simply liked the kid regardless.

master16 1 year, 6 months ago

personally, not super thrilled about the pick up. but I will put trust in HCBS. however, i just have a feeling that coach kind of knew we weren't getting anyone more talented to commit. And Mason, being that he is ranked #131 and being recruited by weaker schools (outside of KU), probably jumped at the opportunity to play for KU. regardless, hope the kid has a solid career with us.

welcome aboard.

DRsmith 1 year, 6 months ago

5' 11" ? Ouch. Maybe he will turn out, who knows.

phog1004 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, that's what they said about Nadiir Tharpe. Again, not saying either kid won't pan out, but Mason is basically Tharpe's shadow. Slightly lower ranked small PG's with tight handles. Tharpe's profile "There may not be another point guard in the country who has won more high level basketball games than Tharpe. He is a true point who makes plays for himself and others, has a tight handle, excellent court vision, and pinpoint passing ability"

Miguel Colón 1 year, 6 months ago

This is not good news, to me, we do not need another short guard. I am hoping we get Peters but that looks like a long shot now. I really want Sheppard and Seldon and the Embiid kid. Any thoughts?

longhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's not get too out-of-shape about this. After we got Greene and Conner, Self went on the record as saying he still wants at least a PG and a big man for this class. We all know we struck out on our top 3 or 4 PG options--it happens.

PERSONAL BELIEF (I have no proof): With the twins going to Kentucky, Bill knows there's a real chance he loses out on Peters. So he could push to take Mason now, or put Mason on hold and hope Roddy still likes us later.

Does this say Bill was a little worried about striking out? Maybe, but a lot of people have had nice things to say about Mason. He's more likely to contribute than to not.

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to the fam Frank!

One of my ~most important~ considerations when evaluating a recruit is to imagine what that last name will look like on the back of the jersey. 'Mason' always looked good :D

I'm interested to see where his stock goes over the course of the season. And for those who are unfamiliar with Mason, the recruiting sites call his ball-handling ability 'outstanding', which is what we were really looking for.

hotrodm 1 year, 6 months ago

In Bill We Trust. Welcome aboard Frank.

phog1004 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll be honest, this tells me that we don't see anything coming our of Tharpe, and that Self expects Frankamp to play off the ball. I don't mind getting PG's, the only problem I have is that we have limited scholly's, and we are still very much in the running for guys like Shepherd, Randle, Gordon, Seldon, Roberson, and Roddy Peters (Who is also a PG, and one that is ranked about 100 spots higher and 5 inches taller), all who have visited (or will be visiting for late night or the week after), spoke highly of the program and Self, and seem to have their recruitment heating up a bit.

I understand the In Self We Trust, but sometimes we don't necessarily need a Tyrone Appleton (oops, that last one is going to get me blasted on here!!).

Rock_Chalk_25 1 year, 6 months ago

So I guess this means we won't get Roddy Peters. To be honest, I'm not to thrilled with this pickup. I don't doubt the kid can play, it's just that we have Naadir and Frankamp next year, two small guards in their own right. I just pray we land Sheppard and then Randle somehow.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 6 months ago

Who are we to judge talent and who will best fit into KU's system. Simply put - in Bill Self we trust. That is good enough for me.

Jayhawk470 1 year, 6 months ago

Should it be cause for concern that we were competing for this kid with the likes of worthless teams like Rutgers, Providence, South Carolina and Virginia Tech? O_o

Michael Auchard 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, welcome to the family. Sounds like he's got Sherron's skill set. Bill Self loves tough little guys.

duanep5ku 1 year, 6 months ago

Okay this board is about to blow up soon, lets here the comments begin, on the huh what argument from the ranking critics, posters on here. Frank welcome and good luck and I do hope you get the chance to succeed at Kansas both on the court and in the classroom.

Thomas Michaud 1 year, 6 months ago

Welcome to the Jayhawk family, Frank! Don't know much about you right now, but look forward to learning more. I hear that he has a toughness of driving to the rim like Collins -- is this correct? Anyway, I can't wait to hear how his senior season develops! RCJH!!