Monday, November 26, 2012

KU football coach Charlie Weis thrilled for former Notre Dame players on brink of national title

Kansas coach Charlie Weis speaks during the Big 12 college football media days on Tuesday, July 24, 2012, in Dallas.

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis usually refers to Notre Dame with vague descriptions.

“The place I used to work,” “my previous job” or “that other school,” all have been used by Weis as substitutes for the university from which he graduated in 1978 and later coached from 2005-09.

While some have chosen to read that as Weis still being upset by his firing following the 2009 season, it’s more likely Weis chose that route out of respect to his current school and his current job.

With the Fighting Irish having locked up a spot in this year’s BCS national championship game, Weis, once again on Monday morning’s Big 12 coaches conference call, was asked for his thoughts about the Irish’s success, a 12-0 run made by many of his former players and recruits.

“The most important thing for me is to make sure that I stay low profile and don’t try to take accolades for their success,” Weis said. “I think it’s real easy for a guy in my position to sit there and say, ‘Yeah, they’re all my kids they’re winning with,’ or be jealous and bitter and all that other stuff.”

He’s not. Really. If anything, Weis, who is known by his current and former players for developing deep, personal connections with the guys who lay it on the line for him, seems genuinely thrilled for the handful of guys he recruited — eight of the 11 Notre Dame starters on offense and a couple of high-impact defensive starters, including potential Heisman Trophy finalist, linebacker Manti Te’o — who are on the brink of playing for a national championship.

“Take Manti, for example,” Weis said. “I love Manti. Manti and I will be close the rest of our lives, as will his family and I. But I think it’s important for me to understand it’s their team, it’s not my team. I have to worry about Kansas. But there (are) a lot of young men that are having a lot of success this year that I’m very, very happy for.”

Comments

vd 1 year, 4 months ago

Ron Prince recruited the current KSU Srs. We could probably place CW and Prince on the same coaching level.

JHWKDW 1 year, 4 months ago

Lets face facts, after Lou Holtz left Notre Dame, that team was not the same after 1996, Notre Dame was never the team it was under Holtz, Davie, and Willingham had bad results prior to Coach Weis. Weis did produce better recruits than Davie or Willingham ever did. I agree Weis did leave it better than Davie or Willingham ever did, but I do not think Weis is taking any credit for NDs season. Kelly did it, and I do not think Weis took anything away from Coach Kelly.

Man Id be happy Weis could give us 6 to 8 wins every season, that is the long term goal, make us a team that KU fans and other teams can respect.I would be happy with those amount of wins every season. Hey like I and other people have said, if and when the Big 12 falls apart, if we got a decent respectable football team, conferences like the Big 10, or Pac-12 will look at KU more.

I will say this for Coach Weis, I think we have played better "Old Man Football" than a certain you know who in Black and Gold. Hey we ran the ball better than them so far. I think Kansas in the long run may be better football to watch than the Pro KC Chiefs. Maybe it is just me, but I see better playing from KU football than the Chiefs in the future in football. Hey the Crimson and Blue football looked better than Red & Gold this season maybe that is not saying much, but hey you got to start somewhere right LOL!

Nah it is going to take some time to get it all together, but I like what I have seen so far. A team that hung with 2 top 25 ranked teams. It is a start.

I think Dr. Zenger is trying to turn KU Athletics around. Look at the Volleyball program, I know you say to me volleyball, but hey Zenger wants winners here in all of KU sports. I think he is using the Stanford model, and no more 1 trick pony for Kansas. I know and am proud of KU Basketball and its history, but we have to move forward and not just have 1 sport alone in the spotlight! It may have been good in the Big 8 days, but not today. I think Zenger wants a winner in Football, and that is what matters, and is awesome compared to the past ADs who were here.

pepper_bar 1 year, 4 months ago

Two days after pointlessly dragging Turner Gill's name through the mud again, Matt comes up with the puffiest of puff pieces for the current coach.

tdhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

You can say what you want about Charlie, but he left ND way better than he found it. He was able to get some things for the FB program that his predecessors were able unable persuade the administration that they were necessary for success. His being an alum undoubtedly helped considerably. There isn't a HC out there that is successful that is painfully humble. He helped to upgrade the facilities and most critically he was able to boost the pay for all the asst coaches at ND, and not just FB. He certainly made his share of mistakes and can certainly rub people the wrong way. (It would be a rare person from New Jersey that didn't rub people in the Midwest the wrong way.) A major obstacle for him at ND was his predecessor who signed 2 lineman one year. Not 2 DLs or 2 OLs but just 2 linemen. Hard to play FB with 2 linemen. Charlie recruited well; better than those who immediately preceded him. And he laid the foundation for this year's team's success. That being said; he's no Brian Kelly or Lou Holtz or Ara. But he was a pretty good bridge for ND.

Emery 1 year, 4 months ago

Charlie is a good natured blabbermouth and name-dropper, but his humbleness is quite shallow. I hope he demonstrates the ability to coach KU football to six-seven wins a year for at least two years before he resigns. He is a decent person who appears to know his X's and O's. .

Doug Roberts 1 year, 4 months ago

I think Charlie is "Humble-bragging" for the sake of recruiting. He can tell prospective recruits "Hey look, the kids I recruited are playing for the National Championship. I know talent when I see it and I want you to come play for me.".

milehighhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

To be honest, the ND trolls have a fair point.

I heard the audio before I read the article, and it's a classic "humble-brag." It was pretty crafty of Weis, really. With his words, he takes the high road and claims he won't take "credit," then goes into "how easy it would be" to take credit because of x, y, and z.

It doesn't take too much to read between the lines here. Weis says he wants to keep a "low profile" on that kind of talk, which means he'll mention it Night & Day to recruits -- but not in front of a hot mic.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 4 months ago

If you're so bitter why are you checking out the KU Sports page? By the way, a hallmark of Coach Weis this year has been discipline and development. Stay tuned.

Algoldendomer 1 year, 4 months ago

Leave it to Charlie Weis to take credit for Notre Dame's success this year. As if ND could not have recruited without him. Weis hasn't changed - it's still all about Charlie. Bottom line is this - his tenure at Notre Dame was marked by excellent talent being left undisciplined and undeveloped, and it took two solid years for those players to be expunged of the reek of losing and to learn how to win. And that is what separates a successful head coach from a losing head coach - the ability to develop players and motivate them to win games. Weis continues to have not a clue in either area, as his soon-to-be 1-11 season proves (one win fewer than last season, despite the ND transfers).

And you may wish to check the recruiting rankings for the 2013 class - ND (sans Weis, believe it or not) is #2 with 13 4/5 star recruits and KU is nowhere near the top-50 (with no 4/5 star recruits and a 2.8 star average). Don't take credit for that which you have no business taking credit for, Weis. And sooner than later, the folks in Lawrence are going to see through the line of BS you've sold them there, too.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 4 months ago

Has anyone heard any news about Memorial Stadium renovations or a new stadium?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice to hear Coach and KU football get a little love during the usc/nd game. was actually thinking why hasnt kusports done an article about the connections HCCW has to some of his former players yet.

This to me only adds to the resume for Coach Weis, which in turn helps KU football. Rock Chalk.

jgkojak 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, the point is that he recruited the core of a team that will play for a N.C.

That's all we can ask -

from what I have seen, his Xs and Os are fine, he just needs the talent.

classclown 1 year, 4 months ago

And all that was necessary for them to make it was to get rid of Charlie Weis.

mdlund0 1 year, 4 months ago

Matt, Charlie Weis did not play football at Notre Dame. He attended and graduated from Notre Dame, but he watched football from the stands. Just a point that needs clarification.

mcrckchlk 1 year, 4 months ago

Good man, that Charlie Weis.