Monday, November 26, 2012

KU football coach Charlie Weis thrilled for former Notre Dame players on brink of national title

Kansas coach Charlie Weis speaks during the Big 12 college football media days on Tuesday, July 24, 2012, in Dallas.

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis usually refers to Notre Dame with vague descriptions.

“The place I used to work,” “my previous job” or “that other school,” all have been used by Weis as substitutes for the university from which he graduated in 1978 and later coached from 2005-09.

While some have chosen to read that as Weis still being upset by his firing following the 2009 season, it’s more likely Weis chose that route out of respect to his current school and his current job.

With the Fighting Irish having locked up a spot in this year’s BCS national championship game, Weis, once again on Monday morning’s Big 12 coaches conference call, was asked for his thoughts about the Irish’s success, a 12-0 run made by many of his former players and recruits.

“The most important thing for me is to make sure that I stay low profile and don’t try to take accolades for their success,” Weis said. “I think it’s real easy for a guy in my position to sit there and say, ‘Yeah, they’re all my kids they’re winning with,’ or be jealous and bitter and all that other stuff.”

He’s not. Really. If anything, Weis, who is known by his current and former players for developing deep, personal connections with the guys who lay it on the line for him, seems genuinely thrilled for the handful of guys he recruited — eight of the 11 Notre Dame starters on offense and a couple of high-impact defensive starters, including potential Heisman Trophy finalist, linebacker Manti Te’o — who are on the brink of playing for a national championship.

“Take Manti, for example,” Weis said. “I love Manti. Manti and I will be close the rest of our lives, as will his family and I. But I think it’s important for me to understand it’s their team, it’s not my team. I have to worry about Kansas. But there (are) a lot of young men that are having a lot of success this year that I’m very, very happy for.”

Comments

hawk316 1 year, 11 months ago

The more I read about this guy, the more impressed I am with the kind of person he is. We're fortunate to have such a quality individual representing the University of Kansas. I think the guy can coach and recruit, as well.

squawkhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, quality guy with great character...not taking credit for the success of a team he was fired from 3 years ago. Hell of a guy!

mdlund0 1 year, 11 months ago

Matt, Charlie Weis did not play football at Notre Dame. He attended and graduated from Notre Dame, but he watched football from the stands. Just a point that needs clarification.

Matt Tait 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, called it his alma mater in a later draft but posted the wrong one. Thanks for the catch.

classclown 1 year, 11 months ago

And all that was necessary for them to make it was to get rid of Charlie Weis.

JayhawkBigXII 1 year, 11 months ago

We don't know what could've happened if CW stayed at ND, but according to Lew Holtz, all you have to do is stick your head out the window, give a holler, and a dozen all-americans come running.

jgkojak 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, the point is that he recruited the core of a team that will play for a N.C.

That's all we can ask -

from what I have seen, his Xs and Os are fine, he just needs the talent.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice to hear Coach and KU football get a little love during the usc/nd game. was actually thinking why hasnt kusports done an article about the connections HCCW has to some of his former players yet.

This to me only adds to the resume for Coach Weis, which in turn helps KU football. Rock Chalk.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 11 months ago

If I remember correctly Keegan did an article on it. About a month ago.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe I couldnt get past the riddle, aka the first paragraph, so I dont remember it.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 11 months ago

Has anyone heard any news about Memorial Stadium renovations or a new stadium?

Stan Unruh 1 year, 11 months ago

Until Memorial Stadium has the seats consistently filled, no renovations are necessary. A year from now, let's hope there is a reason to discuss upgrades to the stadium.

jhawk613 1 year, 11 months ago

The KU Athletic Department sent a survey out several months back that wanted to gauge interest in club seats, a hybrid of suite/stadium seat and a field level club/lounge similar to what is in the Dallas Cowboys stadium.

Basically they wanted to know how much people would be willing to pay/donate to the Williams Fund on top of season ticket prices for these upgrades.

Not sure what will come of the survey results, but it does tell me that Zenger and KU are looking at how to improve the overall fan experience at Memorial Stadium. Personally, I don't care, but I think the anti-track fan club will appreciate this.

Algoldendomer 1 year, 11 months ago

Leave it to Charlie Weis to take credit for Notre Dame's success this year. As if ND could not have recruited without him. Weis hasn't changed - it's still all about Charlie. Bottom line is this - his tenure at Notre Dame was marked by excellent talent being left undisciplined and undeveloped, and it took two solid years for those players to be expunged of the reek of losing and to learn how to win. And that is what separates a successful head coach from a losing head coach - the ability to develop players and motivate them to win games. Weis continues to have not a clue in either area, as his soon-to-be 1-11 season proves (one win fewer than last season, despite the ND transfers).

And you may wish to check the recruiting rankings for the 2013 class - ND (sans Weis, believe it or not) is #2 with 13 4/5 star recruits and KU is nowhere near the top-50 (with no 4/5 star recruits and a 2.8 star average). Don't take credit for that which you have no business taking credit for, Weis. And sooner than later, the folks in Lawrence are going to see through the line of BS you've sold them there, too.

Sayers44 1 year, 11 months ago

Read the article --Wies is going out of his way to not take credit....

But some credit is due Wies as he recruited them...

The article fairly spells is out.

Algoldendomer 1 year, 11 months ago

I did read the article. The humble thing would have been to say "I'm real happy those guys are doing so well." And stop there. Instead he says "it would be real easy to take credit..." No it wouldn't. You'd have to live on another planet to take credit for ND's success THREE YEARS after getting your butt fired from the place. You say he's going out of his way NOT to take credit - this article is Charlie's way of taking credit, and of puffing up Charlie, ignoring the lack of success he had at ND and his inability to turn around the Jayhawks' program (oh, and look how UF has done after he turned tail - 7-6 to 11-1).

Al Martin 1 year, 11 months ago

Jeez, guy, go celebrate your national championship level season. How big a jerk do you have to be to come here and troll? Leave us to suffer our godawful season and godawful program in peace.

master16 1 year, 11 months ago

lol I'm pretty sure what he means is when CW says he won't take the credit and accolades for their success he basically reminded everyone that he recruited the kids, putting in our minds that he should get credit for it. it's like a smart way of doing it. CW is a crafty guy so take it as you will. and I'm not a ND troll or anything. just saying it as I see it, and what I think algolden meant to say.

jhox 1 year, 11 months ago

How do you get off giving a Coach a hard time for feeling happy that the kids he recruited (and is obvious fond of) are having a lot of success? Let's discuss classless...I suggest you look in the mirror, and you'll see what classless is really all about.

JJHAWK 1 year, 11 months ago

and you are on the KU message board because . . .?

j - just

e-evangelical

r-road

k-kill

Kirk 1 year, 11 months ago

It's illogical to complain about Weis when you consider he's replaced Gill. It's easy to imagine what options KU realistically had on the table this time around: not many. In that context, Weis was a good get, and he's made the team much more competitive. Check back in 3-4 years.

John Thomas 1 year, 11 months ago

Weis with pats (tom brady made him) weis with nd (never beat a good team) Weis in kansas city (offense sucked) weis in florida (offense sucked) Weis in kansas 1-10

squawkhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

And KSU's recruiting class is similar to KU's (as it is every year). It's not about the Jimmy's and the Joe's, it's about the X's and the O's.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 11 months ago

If you're so bitter why are you checking out the KU Sports page? By the way, a hallmark of Coach Weis this year has been discipline and development. Stay tuned.

milehighhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

To be honest, the ND trolls have a fair point.

I heard the audio before I read the article, and it's a classic "humble-brag." It was pretty crafty of Weis, really. With his words, he takes the high road and claims he won't take "credit," then goes into "how easy it would be" to take credit because of x, y, and z.

It doesn't take too much to read between the lines here. Weis says he wants to keep a "low profile" on that kind of talk, which means he'll mention it Night & Day to recruits -- but not in front of a hot mic.

rockchalker52 1 year, 11 months ago

You heard that 'humble brag' phrase on the radio.

NikeCortez 1 year, 11 months ago

And he brings up Te'o of course...who he didnt even recruit. Brian Polian landed both Te'o and Toma...Weis is a blowhard. Enjoy the ride folks.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

I think Charlie is "Humble-bragging" for the sake of recruiting. He can tell prospective recruits "Hey look, the kids I recruited are playing for the National Championship. I know talent when I see it and I want you to come play for me.".

Emery 1 year, 11 months ago

Charlie is a good natured blabbermouth and name-dropper, but his humbleness is quite shallow. I hope he demonstrates the ability to coach KU football to six-seven wins a year for at least two years before he resigns. He is a decent person who appears to know his X's and O's. .

Kirk 1 year, 11 months ago

It remains to be seen whether Charlie is too smart by half to win college games. He knows his X's and O's so well he's tangled in them. But he's lots better than Gill.

And he's not here to talk about ND and how he recruited so many of their players, but about Kansas. Not ND!

squawkhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, he is a lot better than a 2 win Turner Gill. (sarcasm).

tdhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

You can say what you want about Charlie, but he left ND way better than he found it. He was able to get some things for the FB program that his predecessors were able unable persuade the administration that they were necessary for success. His being an alum undoubtedly helped considerably. There isn't a HC out there that is successful that is painfully humble. He helped to upgrade the facilities and most critically he was able to boost the pay for all the asst coaches at ND, and not just FB. He certainly made his share of mistakes and can certainly rub people the wrong way. (It would be a rare person from New Jersey that didn't rub people in the Midwest the wrong way.) A major obstacle for him at ND was his predecessor who signed 2 lineman one year. Not 2 DLs or 2 OLs but just 2 linemen. Hard to play FB with 2 linemen. Charlie recruited well; better than those who immediately preceded him. And he laid the foundation for this year's team's success. That being said; he's no Brian Kelly or Lou Holtz or Ara. But he was a pretty good bridge for ND.

Kirk 1 year, 11 months ago

Charlie and KU both need the exact same thing: to stay with each other for a considerable stretch of time. Five years at the very least. That way Charlie gets a chance to recruit guys and establish a program. And KU can't afford (literally or figuratively) to flip coaches anytime soon.

Algoldendomer 1 year, 11 months ago

In his 3rd year under the Dome, Mr. Weis went 3-9. Not Faust, not Willingham, not Davie - it was Weis who had the worst ND season since 1964. Compare that with Brian Kelly's 3rd year. If he were even a mediocre coach, his 3rd year would have surpassed his first two, but he was so inept that he won 3 games! Against a UCLA team that had lost its starting QB, against Duke! and somebody else who was pitiful. I still don't understand how he survived for five years, when Willingham was toast after 3.

pepper_bar 1 year, 11 months ago

Two days after pointlessly dragging Turner Gill's name through the mud again, Matt comes up with the puffiest of puff pieces for the current coach.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

If that 12 was a 13 and we continue decsending to winning 1 game next year and then 0 games in 2014. We have an example of a decsending fibonacci sequence. Sorry I am a numbers guy.

Jim Roth 1 year, 11 months ago

It's also called exponential decay.

w = 2E+308e-0.488t, R² = 0.9936

vd 1 year, 11 months ago

Ron Prince recruited the current KSU Srs. We could probably place CW and Prince on the same coaching level.