Thursday, May 10, 2012

A KU license plate in Missouri? It could happen

Missouri residents may have the option of getting personalized license plates displaying their Kansas University loyalties. This Journal-World photo illustration shows what the KU plates might look like if the logo was placed on the current Missouri license plate.

A Jayhawk on a Missouri license plate? No need to check to see if those pigs have sprouted wings. It could be a reality as soon as June 2013.

The Kansas University Alumni Association has been working to get a KU license plate in Missouri, which recently began issuing Pittsburg State license plates. After all, KU does boast more than 30,000 alumni who live in Missouri, said Danny Lewis, director of alumni programs for the association.

KU license plates are already available in Maryland and Texas, Lewis said. The alumni association typically gets a cut of the extra revenue generated from the plates, but it’s more about the brand recognition than the dollars and cents, Lewis said.

“Anytime you can get the Jayhawk out there, it’s just a bonus,” he said.

As part of the process to get a license plate approved in Missouri, a state legislator needs to agree to sponsor the plate.

“As you can imagine, you don’t have too many Missouri representatives too willing to sign a University of Kansas license plate application,” Lewis said.

Enter Missouri Rep. Charlie Denison, a Republican from Springfield. After a KU alumnus approached him with the idea for the plate, Denison had no qualms about signing on.

“I have sponsored several different plates that wouldn’t necessarily have to do with the University of Missouri,” said Denison, who is the chairman of the legislature’s Joint Committee on Transportation.

Denison said he was unaffiliated in the historic rivalry between the Jayhawks and the Tigers. He earned a scholarship out of high school to attend Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas.

“If I could get a license plate from there, I probably would, but I probably would have to pay for the whole thing myself,” Denison said.

If Denison’s committee approves the plate in the 2013 legislative session, the alumni association will have to provide 200 completed applications in order for sales of the plate to begin.

Comments

andrewbary 1 year, 11 months ago

I am in the Air Force, but I keep Missouri residence and plates for lower taxes. Would LOVE to rock the Hawk all around base on a MO plate!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 11 months ago

I spotted a Missouri license plate near Memphis a while back that summarized the spirit between the two states/schools.It read.......IH8KU.

How great is that? That is a person who is a true "hater". I can't think of a single thing that I hate so much that I would pay money for, to plaster on a license plate for the world to see.. I took a picture of it with my phone but when I got a new phone recently, I couldn't transfer the pic.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

What a great idea. Hope it doesn't confuse the Mizzu State Troopers. What does it do to insurance rates?

FELONY 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll retain my USMC plates, but this is a great option for all those who already have personalized plates and for those who wish to obtain them.

FELONY 1 year, 11 months ago

The above pictured license plate is...

an optical phenomenon, an oasis in a scorching desert.

A majestic waterfall in a barren wasteland.

A tropical island in a vast ocean.

Grandeur, magnificence and splendour appearing where one would least expect it.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 11 months ago

We already have the Arkansas Razorback license plate in MO, let's get the Jayhawks as an option too. All it's going to do is generate more revenue. Sign me up! Rock Chalk!

jayhawkbenny27 1 year, 11 months ago

Need it in Colorado as well! Lots of 'hawks out here. There's a group of 20 or so that watch the games together here in Durango and were a small mountain town, all of us would get the plates for sure...

sevenyearhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Why the Hell would a Kansan live in that godforsaken state?!

KUSHELLY 1 year, 11 months ago

Just the site of that license tag turned my stomach! Jayhawks on a Missouri tag ... next thing we know they will change the state name to MIZZOU.

jhox 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm fine with this, as long as the state of Kansas doesn't have to reciprocate.

rawheadrex 1 year, 11 months ago

Curious! The license plate is a minor point. MBW and CF have raised seemingly significant question. What effect does MU xferring to SEC have on KC area fans and recruiting from same real estate? Someone told me Mizzou is in the EDiv of the SEC! The westernmost school in the Eastern Division, just to protect the traditional rivalries of the SEC, UA, LSU, etc., whilst discarding the second oldest football rivalry in America and oldest west of the Mississippi River. It is all about the cash register!
I wish the NCAA and its farm programs for professional games who crash beneath their own greed.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 11 months ago

The only thing that would make that plate better, would be if the hawk was doing a #2 right in the middle of the state.

matlockhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I live in California, and I have had KU license plate frames for years. Spread the bird far and wide!!! ROCK CHALK!!!

Jason Bruner 1 year, 11 months ago

I need this to happen in Florida ASAP!

kujh1970 1 year, 11 months ago

I hope it comes to pass. Misery needs some beautification.

travelhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Curious how many KU alumni there are in Oklahoma. I believe its substantial (long KU history at Phillips in Bartlesville) but nowhere approaching 30,000. My vanity plate is "JAYHWK"; haven't had any problems to date with opposing fans. Fans in Stillwater are very classy.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Great idea..... if you want your car finish keyed, your mirrors broken, your aerial bent, your tires flattened, your windshield spit on [and worse], your doors dented and probably .....have the license plate removed and shredded!!!

SEKJHawk2012 1 year, 11 months ago

Pitt State has gotten a Misery license approved...maybe we can have more tags than MU in the state of misery