Thursday, May 10, 2012

A KU license plate in Missouri? It could happen

Missouri residents may have the option of getting personalized license plates displaying their Kansas University loyalties. This Journal-World photo illustration shows what the KU plates might look like if the logo was placed on the current Missouri license plate.

A Jayhawk on a Missouri license plate? No need to check to see if those pigs have sprouted wings. It could be a reality as soon as June 2013.

The Kansas University Alumni Association has been working to get a KU license plate in Missouri, which recently began issuing Pittsburg State license plates. After all, KU does boast more than 30,000 alumni who live in Missouri, said Danny Lewis, director of alumni programs for the association.

KU license plates are already available in Maryland and Texas, Lewis said. The alumni association typically gets a cut of the extra revenue generated from the plates, but it’s more about the brand recognition than the dollars and cents, Lewis said.

“Anytime you can get the Jayhawk out there, it’s just a bonus,” he said.

As part of the process to get a license plate approved in Missouri, a state legislator needs to agree to sponsor the plate.

“As you can imagine, you don’t have too many Missouri representatives too willing to sign a University of Kansas license plate application,” Lewis said.

Enter Missouri Rep. Charlie Denison, a Republican from Springfield. After a KU alumnus approached him with the idea for the plate, Denison had no qualms about signing on.

“I have sponsored several different plates that wouldn’t necessarily have to do with the University of Missouri,” said Denison, who is the chairman of the legislature’s Joint Committee on Transportation.

Denison said he was unaffiliated in the historic rivalry between the Jayhawks and the Tigers. He earned a scholarship out of high school to attend Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Texas.

“If I could get a license plate from there, I probably would, but I probably would have to pay for the whole thing myself,” Denison said.

If Denison’s committee approves the plate in the 2013 legislative session, the alumni association will have to provide 200 completed applications in order for sales of the plate to begin.

Comments

SEKJHawk2012 2 years, 7 months ago

Pitt State has gotten a Misery license approved...maybe we can have more tags than MU in the state of misery

statesupporter 2 years, 7 months ago

I find it rather funny that this article doesn't mention that the Gorillas have paved the way for this. Thier plates are going to be hitting the Missouri streets this summer.

John Mueller 2 years, 7 months ago

I find it more interesting that you have a computer and access to the internet, but apparently cannot read.

Pitt State is mentioned in the second sentence of the story.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Great idea..... if you want your car finish keyed, your mirrors broken, your aerial bent, your tires flattened, your windshield spit on [and worse], your doors dented and probably .....have the license plate removed and shredded!!!

ltownatrain 2 years, 7 months ago

That would only be if you went to columbia. KC is where I'm pretty sure most alum live and it's a KU town tried and true at the end of the day.

marykU 2 years, 7 months ago

ltownatrain 2 years, 7 months ago

Oh look a misery troll wonderful just what the world needs another one.

rnrover81 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow, an uneducated and misinformed Mizzou fan. I've only seen a few thousand of those before. Better to be a one trick pony than none at all. Unless I missed all of the BCS bowl games Missouri has won. Have to be in one before you can win one. We can move on to basketball - Norfolk State - well, that ends that discussion. Funny how fans from Kansas and your new, wonderful and fair conference, the SEC (Florida) were both rooting against you in that game. Take the empty trophy cases and enjoy the SEC. I can't wait until you're gone. Make sure to find someone else to blame your failures on.

Thomas Young 2 years, 7 months ago

I would get one here in St. Louis. And I can tell you there are plenty of Kansas fans in town.

My wife and I both have Kansas stickers and such on our cars, and there is no problem. I do include Cardinals and Blues stuff, though.

We even get a discount for being Kansas alums at Planet Sub (Yellow Sub) here.

KUBowler99 2 years, 7 months ago

Same here, tmy. Transplant (been in STL since '04) and was surprised at the number of KU fans/alums.

Didn't realize the Planet Sub discount...sweet.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the tip on Planet Sub...is the owner a Jayhawk?

ltownatrain 2 years, 7 months ago

Planet Sub is a franchise of Yello Sub, which, started in Lawrence. Thats why when you go to one their menu is the same as Yello Sub.

burnmu 2 years, 7 months ago

I live in columbia and I have no problem letting the world know I'm a KU fan. My car, m clothes let it be known. I would love this, finally a way to improve this state.

marykU 2 years, 7 months ago

Pitthawk34 2 years, 7 months ago

or deliverance happening. Thoses people are from the south now.

Jeff Schartz 2 years, 7 months ago

True that, Oakville. I proudly flew my Kansas Flag when I lived in Blue Springs, about 25 miles into enemy territory. BUT, those were my neighbors. I loved my neighborhood. My car didn't get to stay home and enjoy those Romeo & Juliet vibes....he had to descend further into the depths...

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 7 months ago

Not sure I would want to drive a car with a Kansas license plate supporting Missouri. Somehow 'Go Tigers' or 'Antler Club Member' would not be all that popular. Fans are fans, Missouri's are just a little bit dumber than most.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

jhawk7782 -

I'm shocked and surprised that you would make a comment like that!

"Missouri's are just a little bit dumber than most." Really ??

Everyone knows they are MUCH dumber than most.

lol

ku_foaf 2 years, 7 months ago

Texas does sell KU plates - even OU plates, which is UT's Missouri.

Maybe an issue with drunk kids on game day in Columbia!

travelhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Curious how many KU alumni there are in Oklahoma. I believe its substantial (long KU history at Phillips in Bartlesville) but nowhere approaching 30,000. My vanity plate is "JAYHWK"; haven't had any problems to date with opposing fans. Fans in Stillwater are very classy.

Phoghorn 2 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. OSU fans are great folks. I went to a KU-OSU football game there several years ago and had a great time!

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 7 months ago

I live in Norman and I have a jayhawk front license plate on all my vehicles and I also fly a Jayhawk flag at my house.... Other than getting some good natured ribbing from the neighbors I haven't endured any crazy fans. Most OU fans think we aren't even a threat to them. It is VERY football crazy here.

ltownatrain 2 years, 7 months ago

That's about what it is like for me in Lincoln ( I know they left). When they were still in the Big 12 they were pretty good sports. It was understood that they would likely beat us in football and we would kick their pants in Basketball. Honesty, I think outside of misery fans (now gone) most of the Big 12 or former big 12 schools fans are pretty decent towards each other. Although thats about to change since West Va. fans get pretty nasty so if anyone goes to Morgantown watch your back and don't walk alone in KU gear.

Gary McCullough 2 years, 7 months ago

I live in Texas. The Jayhawk licence plate came through a few months ago and I've seen a few around town. The problem with Texas is they don't know what a Jayhawk is! Dumas, Texas is not just a small town in the Panhandle.

ku_foaf 2 years, 7 months ago

Now that was true 30 years ago...my uncle used to get people who would laugh and point at the sticker in Dallas. I'd say nearly everyone in Texas knows what a Jayhawk is now. But I don't go out West or the Panhandle often, maybe a little different. I guess they know it in Lubbock.

Kit Duncan 2 years, 7 months ago

I have a KU license tag frame, and see quite a few KU front tags as well as KU bumper and window stickers around Tulsa. It wouldn't take much for me to trade my Navy Reserve tag for a KU tag. I graduated from KU the day "before" I was commissioned in the Navy.

If the Alumni Association is willing to pursue it, I bet there will be far more than the 100 minimum applicants required to have a KU tag created in Oklahoma.

To the KU Alumni Association: (For more information about this program, contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission, Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 522-5688.)

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Without that last " A ", most Oklahomans don't know what it means!

Remember our old nemesis " OklahomaSooner " back during football season? No way would he be able to decipher that cryptic code.

Mark Anderson 2 years, 7 months ago

I teach at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in OKC, and my license plate says Jayhawx. Of course, I also trick my students in to waving the wheat for KU during one of my classes. Students repeatedly tell me that they still laugh when they think about that. I think this will remain a congenial relationship as long as KU doesn't become competitive with OU in football. Most Sooners could care less about basketball (unless it's the Thunder!).

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 7 months ago

Funny that you would say that.. I've had a long-term friendship from my Coast Guard days who was an OU graduate and I've always felt comfortable when I was in Norman.

Going way back to my pledge days, we took a trip to Dallas in stayed at the Oklahoma version of Phi Kappa Sigma and were treated like royal guest.

Unfortunately, the Kansas chapter is no longer there, it was at 1600 Edgehill Road which is now a sorority house.

My one trip to Missouri for a basketball game was more than enough. Maybe it would have been better if we had lost, but Missouri fans will never get a reward for sportsmanship. I was just happy to get out of town alive.

kujh1970 2 years, 7 months ago

I hope it comes to pass. Misery needs some beautification.

ltownatrain 2 years, 7 months ago

Talk to the Alumni Association. One of the biggest Alumni Bases outside of Kansas and the KC Metro is in Orlando so there may be just enough Jayhawk Fans for it to happen.

matlockhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I live in California, and I have had KU license plate frames for years. Spread the bird far and wide!!! ROCK CHALK!!!

Pitthawk34 2 years, 7 months ago

The only thing that would make that plate better, would be if the hawk was doing a #2 right in the middle of the state.

rawheadrex 2 years, 7 months ago

Curious! The license plate is a minor point. MBW and CF have raised seemingly significant question. What effect does MU xferring to SEC have on KC area fans and recruiting from same real estate? Someone told me Mizzou is in the EDiv of the SEC! The westernmost school in the Eastern Division, just to protect the traditional rivalries of the SEC, UA, LSU, etc., whilst discarding the second oldest football rivalry in America and oldest west of the Mississippi River. It is all about the cash register!
I wish the NCAA and its farm programs for professional games who crash beneath their own greed.

jhox 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm fine with this, as long as the state of Kansas doesn't have to reciprocate.

KUSHELLY 2 years, 7 months ago

Just the site of that license tag turned my stomach! Jayhawks on a Missouri tag ... next thing we know they will change the state name to MIZZOU.

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Why the Hell would a Kansan live in that godforsaken state?!

jayhawkbenny27 2 years, 7 months ago

Need it in Colorado as well! Lots of 'hawks out here. There's a group of 20 or so that watch the games together here in Durango and were a small mountain town, all of us would get the plates for sure...

Preston Dwiggins 2 years, 7 months ago

We already have the Arkansas Razorback license plate in MO, let's get the Jayhawks as an option too. All it's going to do is generate more revenue. Sign me up! Rock Chalk!

FELONY 2 years, 7 months ago

The above pictured license plate is...

an optical phenomenon, an oasis in a scorching desert.

A majestic waterfall in a barren wasteland.

A tropical island in a vast ocean.

Grandeur, magnificence and splendour appearing where one would least expect it.

FELONY 2 years, 7 months ago

I'll retain my USMC plates, but this is a great option for all those who already have personalized plates and for those who wish to obtain them.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 7 months ago

What a great idea. Hope it doesn't confuse the Mizzu State Troopers. What does it do to insurance rates?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

I spotted a Missouri license plate near Memphis a while back that summarized the spirit between the two states/schools.It read.......IH8KU.

How great is that? That is a person who is a true "hater". I can't think of a single thing that I hate so much that I would pay money for, to plaster on a license plate for the world to see.. I took a picture of it with my phone but when I got a new phone recently, I couldn't transfer the pic.

FELONY 2 years, 7 months ago

That Moran hates KU but has KU on his tags. Don't care how much I hate misery those initials ain't going on my tags.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

There's a huge amount of irony in calling someone a "Moran."

You're better than this. Don't be a moron.

FELONY 2 years, 7 months ago

If you google moran you will see a pic of a Missourian holding up a "Get a brain! Morans" sign in public. Actually it's the first pic on file in images.

In Missourah it's moran.

andrewbary 2 years, 7 months ago

I am in the Air Force, but I keep Missouri residence and plates for lower taxes. Would LOVE to rock the Hawk all around base on a MO plate!