Originally published March 4, 2012 at 03:01p.m., updated March 4, 2012 at 04:24p.m.

Thomas Robinson named Big 12 player of the year; Self earns Big 12’s co-coach of the year honors

Robinson, Taylor named 1st team all-Big 12; center Jeff Withey named Big 12 defensive POY

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson is hugged by head coach Bill Self as he is recognized before the fieldhouse during the senior speeches.

Kansas University junior and national player of the year candidate, Thomas Robinson, was named the Big 12 Conference player of the year by the league’s coaches on Sunday afternoon.

Robinson, who finished the season averaging 18 points and 12 rebounds per game, was by far the most dominant player in the league throughout the season.

During Big 12 play alone, he averaged those same numbers (18.2/11.7) and earned Big 12 player of the week honors multiple times.

“Usually when individuals receive awards at the end of the season it has been because their teams have been good and that certainly has the case with us,” KU coach Bill Self said. “Thomas has been the best player on our team, without question, from the beginning of the year until now. He is so deserving of conference player of the year. That was a goal I had for him before the season even started.”

Robinson also added 56 assists, 34 steals and 33 blocks to his totals this season. His 22 double-doubles this season were by far the most in the Big 12 and moved him into second place on KU's all-time single season list.

“I am very thankful for this award and proud to be selected by the coaches in a league that is as competitive as it is,” Robinson said. “We have a lot of great players on our team and Tyshawn (Taylor) would also be deserving of this award. I am thankful for this award and hope it’s not the last.”

His 369 rebounds this season put him in seventh place all-time on KU's single season rebounding list (one spot ahead of Wilt Chamberlain) and his 669 career rebounds put him in 18th place all-time, one spot ahead of Markieff Morris.

Robinson also was named to the all-Big 12 first team, where he was joined by senior teammate Tyshawn Taylor, who averaged 17 points and 5 assists for the Jayhawks this season, but saw his points-per-game total increase to 18.6 during the Big 12 portion of the schedule.

“Tyshawn, in my opinion, was the one of two guys who could have challenged Thomas for conference player of the year, along with (Marcus) Denmon (Missouri),” Self said. “Tyshawn has been as good as guard in the country over the last two months and certainly so deserving of being picked first team.”

KU coach Bill Self named Big 12's Co-Coach of the Year

Kansas University coach Bill Self has been named the co-Big 12 coach of the year, along with Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg. Self led the Jayhawks to an unprecedented eighth straight Big 12 title with a 16-2 overall league record.

Self is named top coach for the third time in the last four seasons and fourth time overall.

“Fred (Hoiberg) (Iowa State) and Frank Haith (Missouri) are also deserving of this award,” Self said. “It’s a proud recognition but I also understand it’s not the coaching, it’s the players that give you the chance to win. Basketball is about players, and certainly we have our share of good ones and I’m sure Fred would say the same thing.”

Self's latest honor came despite losing the Morris twins, Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed from last year's team. When the season began, the squad's lone returning starter, Tyshawn Taylor, had played more minutes than all of the other four starters combined.

The Jayhawks finished the regular season 26-5 and their only league losses were to Missouri and Hoiberg's Cyclones, both on the road.

Withey named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year

Kansas University junior Jeff Withey, a 7-foot center from San Diego, has been named the Big 12's defensive player of the year, the league announced via Twitter on Sunday afternoon.

Withey led the Big 12 in blocked shots with 100, a total that ranked fifth on the conference single-season chart. Sixty-five of those rejections came in league games, setting a Big 12 record for conference play. Withey is the fourth Jayhawk to win the top defensive honor since it began in 2005-06, including three times in the past four seasons.

“I’m really happy for Jeff because I don’t believe anybody in our league changes the game by blocking or altering (shots) better than Jeff,” Self said.

Withey also averaged 9.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game in 24 minutes per contest. He also earned Big 12 player of the week honors earlier this season and has become a huge force for the Jayhawks in the middle on both ends of the floor.

All-Big 12 First Team

All-Big 12 Third Team

Perry Jones III, Baylor

Scott Christopherson, Iowa State

Jeff Withey, Kansas

Kim English, Missouri

Phil Pressey, Missouri

Comments

lee3022 2 years, 1 month ago

To me this is the hardest goal each year - to win the conference regular season. The league schedule proves out who has the best team. In the tournaments any team can get hot and beat a superior team. Every year when fans grouse about losing in the NCAA tournament we want to remind them that this coach is really special.

So thanks coaches and players alike for keeping the streak alive. Next year FTW=9.

And congratulations to Thomas, Tyshawn, Jeff and coach for individual awards. Now if Elijah will only feel slighted and bump his tournament play up a notch!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Something that amazes me is the disrespect that Iowa State is getting! They still can't break the Top 25! You would think that 3rd place in the Big 12 is good enough to be ranked in the Top 25.......................considering the 4th place team is ranked 11th!

Hail_To_Thee 2 years, 1 month ago

This piece caught my eye

In reference to Robinson: "and his 669 career rebounds put him in 18th place all-time, one spot ahead of Markieff Morris."

If you think about it, had Robinson played more his freshman and sophomore years, he would more then likely be in the top 5-10 in school records for rebounding in a career. He had more 69 more rebounds this year then he had in his freshman and sophomore campaigns combine. Had he been one that started his freshman year, I think he could have been at the top.

Whats the record for rebounds in a KU career?

2 years, 1 month ago

Random thought: How good was that UNC-Duke game for KU, in terms of landing Shabazz??

Sally Presson 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree, Coach Self should have coach of the year by himself, he has taken a team with only 1 starter and made them into champions. Coaching the team to believe they can do it is awesome. What a team!!! What a team of coaches, we've got the best in the country. I've had the privilage to get to many senior nights and it's always so emotional--the love the team has for the coaches and the fans is so special. The boy's speeches were touching. Dang it's hard to see these guys go. I can't imagine not seeing Tyshawn and Thomas in Allen Field house, I admire Junniman and Teahann so much for sticking with us and giving the team all they had. Unless you have an athlete in your family, you don't know what these students give everyday. Thanks guys so much for being a Jayhawk for 4 years and Thomas thanks for this last year and what's to come. I know this isn't the end, we have March madness to look forward to with you guys and the team, it's so exciting. Again, thanks to the coaches and the team for a special year!!!!

William Blake 2 years, 1 month ago

Super congrats to Thomas, Coach Self, "Mr. W" Withey, Tyshawn and the entire Jayhawk squad and coaching staff for an excellent conference season!

Now we have to keep it all going by winning out! Who wants to end the season now?

Rock Chalk, Jayhawks, Go KU!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Poster Awards of the Year;

The " Mirror, Mirror On The Wall, Who'se The Fairest Of Them All" Award. Ahpersecoachingexperience

The "Shakespeare/Bacon Didn't Write It..I Did" Award Jaybate :)

The "Last Rational Man Standing" Award Ralster

The "Beauty Among The Beasts" Award PVJayhawk

The " May The Sun be Shining On Your Face Where Ever You Are" Award 100

The "Please Say Something Nice About Anything" Award IrishCharlie

The "Gone But Not Forgotten" Award soobawls

The "Sometimes He Feels Like A Nut, Sometimes He Don't" Award Highelitemajor

The " You Changed Your Avatar To Confuse Me" Award Kushaw/bigmanu

The "OakvilleJHawk Grateful To You To The Day I Die" Award Jayhawk Nation

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm shocked to see no players from Nebraska or Colorado on any of the Big12 end of the season teams! What, they left the league? When did that happen? I really didn't miss them at all. So, they must have had players or coaches recognized in the Big10 and/or Pac12, right? Otherwise, they're not any better off than had they stayed with us. I guss we'll be saying the same thing for Mizz and aTm next year. Little fishes, big pond!

kerbyd 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone else Love that photo of T-Rob and Self?

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations, Jayhawks one and all!!!
That was an excellent Big 12 season, you have made all of us very proud.

I'm going to have to against the grain here in that I suspected that this team could be V E R Y good from the beginning. I just liked the mixture of one outstanding big in TRob, a rocket-powered point guard on TT, a cast of extras that don't look like much at first glance and then everyone saying they might not even win the Big 12... (Place Chip on Shoulder and Proceed!) Ooooh yeah!!

I like it a lot better when we aren't so heavily loaded, because when we are, a Final Four is expected, and anything less is a failure. The pressure must be unreal, and they feel it and it gets in their heads.

Way back last year, they played with a very god UK team, and kept it close right up to the end. That told me that this team was going to be really special, even though we are short-handed relative to most KU teams of the last 20 years or so.

Great jobs by all, and thanks from all of us in Jayhawk World!! Take care of all those aches and sprains, try to get a bit of healing in this week, and have lots of fun for all of us!!!

R O C K C H A L K, J A Y H A W K S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd enjoy watching a game between Big 12 second and third teams. Looks like a tossup. If Perry 3 had spent these past two league seasons working fulltime with D. Manning, he might be a brute. As is, just another flaky Bear. If Royce White stays in Ames for his senior year, Hoiberg's Cyclones will be tough competitors next season.
If Samuels is the only Wildcat departing, Frank Martin should bring back a highly competitive squad next year. If, if, if. Ha! If your aunt had....

Dale Stringer 2 years, 1 month ago

How about the Anti-KU team (the Pain in Our @$$ Team). I say Brown, Page, White, Ratcliffe and Denmon.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 1 month ago

I see many sites, including rivals.com saying that the Jayhawks were picked to win the Big 12 this year. Are you kidding me? I don't remember anyone saying this. It was all about Baylor, A&M. Correct?

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 1 month ago

What a rebuilding year this was! Congrats to Taylor and T-Rob! And not to mention HCBS! This is kind of random, but why don't we ever play Wichita State early on in the season? In state competition and it would be a pretty good game.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 1 month ago

2 questions for you pros: 1. When's the last time KU, KSU, and Wichita St. all made the dance? Great year! 2. Not that I really want it, but how many #1 seeds is this for Self at Kansas? Isn't this like 4 in a row? Is there a record for such a thing?

jaycon11 2 years, 1 month ago

before the game last night, jesse newell correctly predicted all 5 players in all-big 12 first team. i wonder if keegan buys him lunch as a prize.

AZHawk72 2 years, 1 month ago

Here, there, and everywhere:

Awards are nice. sort of, but oftentimes they're like receiving a compliment from a girl you used to date. Self in a slam dunk since it was his best effort here. T-Rob, of course, but I'd give the team mvp to Tyshawn. Jeff (and I thought my sons were late bloomers), no, I'd give him most improved, but I'd give Travis defensive MVP.

I'll admit my mistake--I thought we'd lose 10-12 games. We didn't because Coach worked through no depth, little experience, and one returning starter, who had been inconsistent, at best. T-Rob developed and brought an attitude to every game, Tyshawn matured and became one of our best point guards ever, and Jeff came from out of nowhere and, after a few poundings on the chest, starting pounding himself out of pride for another stellar play. Meanwhile, Travis and Elijah went about their defensive lockdowns and did their business, mostly, looking like offensive weak links in the box score.

I think we got a break when Iowa-State beat Baylor for the third seed. They could finally take Missouri down in the semis. Drew will be worrying over zone vs. man to man even when his wife divorces him. Baylor and Texas seem to be skimming the big men from getting to Kansas, excluding "I had a dream.." Darrell'. Having read some of Randall's all-too-frequent posts, I will just comment "well. he's certainly not T-Rob." Duh.

That Freeman young man from Carolina would be a great get, and the fingers are crossed. Why more bigs don't take advantage of being coached by Danny is, to me, the biggest mystery about our team. Watching Perry Jones, I can't help but wonder, "Wow, you might actually approach your potential if you had a serious position coach like Danny showing you the ropes."

Irrespective of the Big 12 tourney and the NCAAs, I've never been prouder of a group of Jayhawks for having become much more than the sum of their parts.

Vittorio1224 2 years, 1 month ago

Check out Jason King's article on ESPN.com -- he's giving a lot of love to our Jayhawks!

BPSkelly 2 years, 1 month ago

I actually think Haith got screwed, but I certainly wont lose any sleep about it. Of course im quite sure the Tiggers in the offices will be crying about it at the water cooler tomorrow.

Looking forward till July 1 and they go join the rest of the hillbilly conference.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Withey deserved second team on this list! BTW, the third team is so much better than the second team!

Vittorio1224 2 years, 1 month ago

+1 ... Mahalo for the reply. I'll definitely give you a shout on my next excursion to the islands which I've come to love so much. Hopefully the Jayhawks will play again in Maui in a few years..... The weather this go around was kind of crummy!

Vittorio1224 2 years, 1 month ago

Alohahawk-- Wow, dude, a veritable poet and Jayhawk scholar?! :-) Nice!

Sorry I missed you in Aloha-land this go-around. I guess you didn't get my note!

Allison Steen 2 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know who is first on KUs list of double doubles? Manning?

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 1 month ago

"Robinson and Taylor were joined on the first-team by Texas guard J'Covan Brown, Iowa State forward Royce White and Missouri guard Marcus Demon." Yeah Marcus Denmon is also a demon!

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Tis the end of the conference season, and on the AFH walls,

Major BB awards have been added, KU earned most overall.

MU is packing their few trophies quite small,

Sent South where they'll be met, with a "Howdy! This is SEC he**, you all."

Congratulations to the entire team. Because without the combined contributions of every Jayhawk, these awards would mean far less.

Still a couple of trophies for which to strive: Big 12 Conference Tournament Champs and national COY and POY. And the coveted NCAA BBall Championship trophy.

R C J H K U !!!

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

I swear to god, today Florida was letting Davis pad his final conference game stats. He scored like 6 off of free throws in the final 1.5 minutes, even though UK was winning by 15. All ESPN does is gush over Anthony Davis. When they mention the POY race, it's always "tough to go against what Davis has been able to do this year." It is such fvcking garbage, come try that sh!t in Columbia or Waco or Manhattan. UK has weeks to prepare for their "tough" matchups because there are soooo many weak teams in the SEC. In the Big 12, you are on upset alert every single game and there is always an opposing player who could blow up for 35. (Ex: J'Covan last night, are you kidding me?)

And don't even get me started on the COY race. I don't need to educate anyone on what Bill Self has done for almost a decade. Once again, Bill's down right absurd coaching performance will be down played by ESPN and the COY will go to an east coast team.

F espn and F Doug Gottlieb

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree I think is it awesome MethU was almost shut out. Dixon should start since he comes in the first 2 minutes when Matt Pressey jacks up a bad 3 or commits 2 early fouls. I'll bet for Presseys to not transfer at season start Haith had to promise Matt would start.

I will say that Haith did a good job but all he really had to do was get away from the stupid crap Mike Anderson does. Anderson's team will never win anything. You can't press all game at this level and expect to win a championship. Players are too good plus it takes a lot of energy - which works at home but not on the road or neutral sites.

I am sure MethU will scream about being screwed by the Big 12 but who cares and who is listening to them. Plus not only the fact they are leaving but when Drinkel voted O state what 4th or 5th in the coaches poll in football they sealed their fate for the rest of the year.

Screw them and have fun in the Slaver league where they belong.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 1 month ago

And one last big "congratulations" to Tyshawn for joining TRob on the All-Big 12 Team!

For those of you at home who were keeping score...

Coach of the Year - KU Player of the Year - KU Defensive Player of the Year - KU

Rebuilding years are tough, you guys. ;)

Rock 'em, chalk 'em Jayhawks!

MrPilot 2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats to Thomas, Tyshawn, Jeff, and Coach Self. All well-deserved awards!

Rock Chalk!

jayhawker_97 2 years, 1 month ago

absolutely stunning achievement by KU. credits to all the coaching staff & players. what a season this has been! i'm saying this even before the season ends. i don't care whether we'll bring 2 more trophies, but our team is supposed to be a 'project' not a 'product', a 'quality product' i might say. they beat all odds. oh, of course with some lucks - there's no injuries so far!!

God bless Jayhawks!

Vittorio1224 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone else delight in the fact Misery didn't take any awards of "import"?! :) I mean "Newcomer of the Year".....big deal! KU has taken -- or should I say EARNED -- all of the meaningful awards: COY, POY & DPOY.

Great day to be a proud Jayhawk!! This has to be one of my favourite teams.... What a group of OVER-achievers!!

Rock Chalk!!

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 1 month ago

T-Rob named Big 12 Player of the Year!

(Not that anyone's surprised, but still.)

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

Michael Dixon, Missouri is the sixth player (not a starter) of the year, and also on the All-Defensive team. Call me old fashioned but shouldn't you start for your team to be in an "All-Conference" team? On the same vein, what happened to needing a winning conference record and at least 20 wins to qualify for the big dance? I guess they change the requirements so they can have 10 Big East teams in the tournament...

MrPilot 2 years, 1 month ago

Is it just me, or is it kind of dumb to announce the Defensive Player of the Year first, and then the Defensive Team afterwards. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Rather anti-climactic this way.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

This one is unanimous: Worst Coach of the Year: Scott Drew - Baylor.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Self did the best job and should have won it outright.

Fred did the second best job and should have taken second out right.

Screw these ties.

And though I think Fred is a fine coach, he is the enemy and we have to go through the enemy like crap through a goose every chance we get.

:-)

MrPilot 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder...will Traylor and McLemore be eligible for the "rookie" awards next year?

sawman3333 2 years, 1 month ago

Jesse Newell named 1st Team All American for Live blogs!

ParisHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Did anyone predict Withey as D Player of the Year before the season started?

Bob Knight comparing him to Bill Russell: totally unbelievable.

Mr. Withey, you have been amazing!

bigtoe 2 years, 1 month ago

Sure hope he didn't poke anyone in the chest.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 1 month ago

Big award for Jeff. Congrats! HCBS, Coach of the Year----no surprise there, but still the same---congrats, Coach Self.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

Michael Dixon, Missouri - Sixth man of the Year MU manages to crash the party...

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 1 month ago

Also congrats to Jeff! His defense was such a huge part of our conference championship this year. Way to own the lane, big guy!

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

Royce White, Iowa State - Newcomer of the year. So far; KU - 2. ISU - 2.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 1 month ago

Self and Hoiberg named Co-Big 12 COY! Rock freakin' Chalk!

MrPilot 2 years, 1 month ago

Bill Self, B12 Coach of the Year (with Hoiberg at Iowa State Correctional Facility)

Andy Hess 2 years, 1 month ago

could someone remind me what Cole's single season blocks record is? Just curious how close Withey is to the record.

Vittorio1224 2 years, 1 month ago

LOL! I think Jaybate and Alohahawk may have something to say about that my friend....