Friday, March 2, 2012

Self: Report of feud with Baylor’s Drew ‘inaccurate’

The current edition of Sports Illustrated — which features a story on Baylor’s wildly successful athletic department — maintains Kansas University coach Bill Self has a problem with Bears’ coach Scott Drew.

The magazine says: “It’s no coincidence that Self’s loathing of Drew and Texas coach Rick Barnes’ jibes at him (Drew) increased with Baylor’s wins.”

Self’s response to the Journal-World: “I don’t read all the articles, but my wife showed me this one — something that was written that was inaccurate. I’ve never spoken to the writer, but obviously he got his information somewhere else that I think was definitely not accurate of the feelings of any coach in our league.”

Quite the quip: KU senior guard Tyshawn Taylor had perhaps the quote of the season on Thursday.

Asked if he was nervous about his Senior Day speech to follow Saturday’s 8 p.m. game against Texas, he joked: “Yes. I wish I could just tweet it.”

Remember, he’s gotten into trouble for his posts on Twitter and Facebook during his four years at KU.

Standing up for Ty: Self is not pleased Taylor was left off the final list of Naismith Award candidates.

“Oh yeah, that’s a snub. No question. If Tyshawn Taylor is not one of the best 15 players in the country, that’s unbelievable to me,” Self said.

Taylor said: “It’s kind of wack, but it is what it is. My numbers don’t really lie, so I guess they could look at that. It’s cool, though. Thomas (Robinson) is about to get Player of the Year and coach Self will get Coach of the Year, so we’re good over here. We’re winning.”

Self on the race for national player of the year: “I think it’s a two-horse race, without question, and they’re both thoroughbreds,” he said of KU’s Robinson and Kentucky’s Anthony Davis. “Anthony Davis will be the number one pick (in the NBA draft), but as a college player this year, I really believe Thomas has had the best year.”

This, that: Self and other KU coaches and support staff members wore bracelets at the KU-Oklahoma State game in support of team manager Taeler Nieder and her family. Her brother, Jerod, suffered a severe neck injury on a family trip to Mexico in December. He’s currently being treated at a hospital in Colorado... An article on the injury from December is available here ... It seems Self’s mom and dad were flooded with phone calls from Missouri’s Antlers after the phone number of Self’s parents was shown on a sign during ESPN’s College GameDay on Feb. 4 and appeared on the Internet. The Antlers have been notorious for obtaining phone numbers of KU players and coaches throughout the years. “The number they got was right,” Self said with a smile. ... Self said Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey would join seniors Tyshawn Taylor, Jordan Juenemann and Conner Teahan in the Senior Day starting lineup against Texas. Self said the four-minute time limit on speeches would remain in place this year. Mario Little, one might recall, went over by seven minutes last Senior Day. ... Allerik Freeman, a 6-4 junior from Olympic High in Charlotte, N.C., has narrowed his college choices to KU and Villanova, Rivals.com reports. Freeman is the No. 23-ranked player in the recruiting Class of 2013. “Kansas and Villanova are my final schools, and both are even right now,” he told Rivals.com. Freeman attended the 2011 Late Night in the Phog on an unofficial visit. He has not set a timetable to make his college choice. ... Future KU forward Andrew White has been selected to play in the Derby Festival Classic on April 6 in Louisville. He’s a 6-6 senior from Miller School in Chester, Va., ranked No. 56 by Rivals.com

Anthem: Jim Cornelison, who performs a stirring rendition of the National Anthem at Chicago Blackhawks home games, will sing the anthem Saturday night at Allen Fieldhouse. KU officials have requested the students continue singing the correct words, “Home of the Brave” instead of “Home of the Chiefs” at the end of the anthem in respect for the song as well as Cornelison.

Comments

Chris Shaw 2 years, 7 months ago

If I was a Baylor fan, I would loathe the 1-8 record Scott Drew has against Bill Self!

Here is the full 10 page article if you want to read it!

yates33333 2 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations on being able to read all of that crap. The portion of the article where Self is cited certainly doesn't show Drew in a favorable light, quite the contrary.

Mallory Rempp 2 years, 7 months ago

Agreed, I definitely don't care enough about Baylor to read 10 pages, but I am mildly irritated that the writer said that about Bill. Bill seems like the type of guy who doesn't loathe a whole lot of people.

april28 2 years, 7 months ago

The good stuff starts on page 8. Drew sounds like the typical talk-show Christian. Talks it but doesn't walk it. An assistant threatening deportation to a potential recruit? Wow.

Anyway, even though Drew has yet another top-10 commitment coming in, I can't imagine that this is sustainable - after awhile even the recruits begin to question why the coach can't win, or develop players.

Also, why would a guy want to go to a school where they play zone defense?

Lonnie Ross Dillon 2 years, 7 months ago

Because most kids quite frankly don't care about defense...they just want to score points.

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

Ask that question about defense to those kids who go to Syracuse. Boeheim has put his fair share of players into the NBA and he's used a zone forever and a day.

Chuck Stones 2 years, 7 months ago

I am convinced that top 10 recruits, those that consider themselves "one and done" do not typically want to work hard enough to be on a Kansas/ Bill Self team. They want to go somewhere and skate and put in their time before they can turn pro. They don't want to develop their team or talent. They think they have enough already. That is why I don't think we will get the "one and done-ers" very often.

JD Roth 2 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self's "loathing" of Drew??? What??? All you have to do is watch the handshake after a Baylor loss to KU to see who "loathes" who. My brother and I always text each other "handshake" after a Baylor-KU game because Drew gets by Self a quickly as possible with never a word of kindness or congratulations from Drew.

kufankam 2 years, 7 months ago

i wonder what cheek thinks about that choice now?

KansasComet 2 years, 7 months ago

HighEliteMajor

That was an excellent comment! Thanks! You are probably right!

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 7 months ago

Chris Walker tweeted

Chris Walker ‏ @cwalkertime23 He goin ku RT @EvanDanielscout: Allerik Freeman is down to Villanova and Kansas, per George Burgess. Story w/ quotes coming tonight.

Alex Berger 2 years, 7 months ago

Good find! I'm hoping we get walker too.

AverageCitizen 2 years, 7 months ago

No, that was Trevor Lacey who lived in Alabama and signed with the Crimson Tide after a tornado hit his home state. Dominique Cheek was from New Jersey. Not too many tornadoes there.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 7 months ago

I think he was referring to Cheek visiting KU when a tornado hit near lawrence.

jayhawks0034 2 years, 7 months ago

I remember that! I was on the tenth floor of Oliver Hall watching that storm with some friends my freshmen year.

Tom Pritchard 2 years, 7 months ago

AverageCitizen..I will be sure not to be where Trevor is...

Don Everett 2 years, 7 months ago

Why the hell are the students saying home of the chiefs at the end of the National Anthem? That's not only complete BS but it's also a very ignorant statement towards our awesome men and women that have served or currently serve our Armed Services.

On top of everything thing else, if the students are trying to copy the aholes in KC, then knock it the hell off, as the chiefs have had nothing to call home for many years.

JD Roth 2 years, 7 months ago

The students are ignorant. They should enroll at UMKC if they want to pull that crap. It's totally idiotic for students at KU to change the anthem. It's a shame they have to make an announcement in an attempt to stem this tide. I'm trying to remember when this trend started, but I know it's been a long time.

Cole Hogan 2 years, 7 months ago

calm down guys, sheesh. Its nto meant to be disrespectful, its just a fun way to make the anthem our own here in KC. It does not mean any of us 'youngsters' have any ill-will toward the real words. At any event that is not related to sports, you will hear the real words, but changing one ward at the end of the song is not that big of a deal. I understad we are obviously of different generations, but young people try to respect older people's generations and their trends, i dont understand why there is a failure to even TRY to do so on your part.

nb4ku 2 years, 7 months ago

Because there are some things that are above "making it our own" and this is at the top of that list. Besides, the last time I checked the Chiefs played in Missouri, NOT Lawrence, Ks.

klineisanazi 2 years, 7 months ago

But the Chiefs? Seriously, if we were talking the Pats or the Packers....but the Chiefs? How does a student, much less a group of students, sitting in the most venerable venue in all of college hoops even fathom the idea of yelling the name a below-average NFL franchise? If they said "'Hawks", I could understand....what is next "Mavericks"?

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Where to start...

"...but young people try to respect older people's generations and their trends, i dont understand why there is a failure to even TRY to do so on your part."

Well the National Anthem isn't a "trend", but if it was, how is changing it showing respect, as you say young people do?

"its just a fun way to make the anthem our own here in KC."

Problem is you're not in KC. AFH is in Lawrence. The Jayhawks have nothing to do with the lame Chiefs. As a fairly young person myself, that is what bothers me about it more than the disrespect to the anthem - why would we want the Jayhawks even remotely associated with the raging mediocrity of the Chiefs?

And one last thing, as an American the anthem is already your own.

Oh well, as long as you young KC residents can get your giggles right? I mean, that's the important thing.

91TEKU 2 years, 7 months ago

First, spell check your writing before you post. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your mistakes to be typos. Second, one of the most sacred things about our country is it's independence and the sacrifices that were made by "older generations". To disrespect your national anthem with something so ridiculous as "home of the Chiefs" shows immaturity, ignorance and a total misunderstanding of what it means to serve and have others protect your liberties. You have every right to sing the song any way you want; you can thank any member of the military for that. However, you and your generation should also have enough respect to sing it appropriately.

What will "your" generation try next, modify the Rock Chalk chant?

shelleysue 2 years, 7 months ago

Because it's our national anthem. Don't change the words EVER. It has nothing at all to do with respecting older generations. Seriously?! If you want to make something your own, write a song of your own. Also, you're changing the word BRAVE. Our brave men and women and their families sacrificing every day for our nation. Sheesh. I can't believe we have to actually explain that to you.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 7 months ago

NO, it is just stupid, lawrence is NOT the home of the chiefs...

Rock_Chalk_NYC 2 years, 7 months ago

Dumb post.

Use spell check We are in Lawrence, Kansas not Kansas City, Mizzery It is disrespectful.

WilburNether 2 years, 7 months ago

That's dumb. It's not the Chiefs' anthem, it's not the Kansas City anthem, it's the NATIONAL anthem. Period. This substitution thing is just plain stoo-pud, and shows the utter lack of class of the idiots who do it.

honk_for_hawks 2 years, 7 months ago

It has absolutely nothing to do with "respecting older people's generations". It has to do with the fact that not only is that disrespectful to the people who serve in the military, but you are in ALLEN FIELDHOUSE. You are one of the top 5 most historic venues in all of sports and not only that, but the Chiefs are an incredibly mediocre franchise who haven't won a playoff game since 1994 and haven't even sniffed a Super Bowl since 1969. Why would THE premier college basketball program want to associate with a team that not only isn't in the same state, isn't the same sport, but is the definition of mediocrity? I'm 23, this crap started either my sophomore or junior year at KU. I'm definitely not some old guy not "respecting your trends". I hate this "tradition" as much and probably even more than anyone on this board. And one more thing, so you realize how unbelievably dumb this is. Say your a college athlete who came to a school because of the history, the passion, and the unbelievable fan support of the program. You come to the school and work your butt off every day to go out and compete and win every game. Then you come out for a big game on your home court, and during the National Anthem, YOUR HOME CROWD not only references another team but refers to the country as the home of them. What does that say to you? It says, "you guys are great and all, but let's be real. i'm only here because my other team doesn't play today." So please, for the love of Naismith, stop trying to ruin the greatest venue in sports.

JayDocMD 2 years, 7 months ago

They do the same thing in Columbia at Mizzery games - is that enough reason to stop?

prusso25 2 years, 7 months ago

Guys,

There is a lot of hate over the chiefs thing, but here is the motive behind it. I don't think yelling it at chiefs games is funny, but I do think yelling it other places is funny BECAUSE the chiefs are so mediocre. It is meant to be fake pride. Pretending to rabidly support a horrible franchise is kind of funny.

I don't think yelling things like "chiefs" disrespects our country. America isn't brave. We have SOME brave people in it, and we have been brave in the past, but this is not a brave country. We celebrate a President who bows and apologizes to other countries for America's actions. The average American does not think America is the best country to live in. Instead of working hard, most people look for handouts and pout/protest when others are more successful. We do all of these things and then wonder why people don't care about the anthem? I would be surprised if people DID care about the anthem!

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

You say this is "kind of funny," and then you go on to explain why it is just pathetic, disrespectful behavior.

When you make up your mind, let us know.

Note2Self 2 years, 7 months ago

Kids are screwing around. Let's not elevate this to, "The kids must hate America and Freedom." Let's not Fox News this situation.

I live in Chicago, and when I've gone to Bears games I'll say/sing/ "home of the CHIEFS" because I think it is funny and it's a habit from all the KC Chiefs games I went to growing up.

That being said, I know it's totally stupid. If Self doesn't want it going on in AFH then we should cut it out. But we don't need to talk about f&%king 9/11, disrespecting America, and our History. I think the hyperbole needs to get reeled in a bit here.

Kids playing basket ball guys, we're talking about kids playing basketball, here.

RockChalk0808 2 years, 7 months ago

Confirming: I'm a veteran and I don't give a tiger what you say at the end of the Anthem. The Anthem is something people do to make themselves feel like they're doing something for their country without actually having to do anything besides get off their butts for 2 minutes. I would prefer that you don't cut our health benefits. Say whatever you want during the Anthem.

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

Probably a group of five or so well-meaning 18 year olds who got something started, thought it was funny. It's humorous at Arrowhead it could be argued. Disrespectful to the troops but it's the NFL and all 65,000 Chiefs fans do it at the stadium. Those young kids who got it started at Allen were obviously Chiefs fans but I believe had no Ill will intended towards AFH. Now that this has become such a public issue it's probably realistic to understand that 16,295 fans at AFH thought it was funny the first time but not anymore. In the longterm this will be a good thing for AFH as 16,295 fans stand up and yell Brave at the top of their lungs drowning out the five good kids from KC who have yet to understand the sacrafices their grandparents have made for this country the last 200+ years.

Now that the five freshmen are sophomores, we can only hope they take a look at the footage of our twin towers falling down. Everytime they say 'home of the Chiefs' at Allen Fieldhouse, my heart breaks again for those families in New York.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 7 months ago

A. I think its died down considerably since Bill Self mentioned this months ago

B. Where where you months ago when this was being talked about every 5 seconds?

JayHok 2 years, 7 months ago

If you're a fan at the games and say 'home of the Chiefs', don't be surprised if you get punched between the eyes.

You like AFH and the Jayhawks. Cool. Unless you were in the twin towers that day, you have no authority to discount what other Americans have done. By saying home of anything other than the brave you spit on the 9-11 twin tower ashes. You spit on America.

Note2Self 2 years, 7 months ago

You need to chill, bro. Let's start hitting people in the face . . . YEAH!

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

A punch between the eyes is better than they deserve. If you want to turn them across your knee for a paddling, I'll go along.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 7 months ago

...and the debate rages on. Look, it's just a bunch of immature college kids (probably huge Chiefs AND Jayhawk fans) being immature. It's not spitting on the ashes of 911 (I don't get this at all) or America. From what I can tell, Americans spit everyday.

I have said before that I don't really understand why the national anthem is sung before every sporting event ever. It's a neat little ditty and all...but seriously. It's just a basketball game. No need to get all, "Go 'Merica!" on it. The kids are just having some fun. Lighten up. It's funny, especially for people like me who don't have an ounce of patriotism in their bones.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Not only have you no patriotism, you haven't the sense or judgement to be ashamed and keep quiet about it.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 7 months ago

Ashamed about being un-patriotic? Not even a little.

If I have to keep quiet about not being patriotic, will you then please return the favor and keep quiet about being patriotic?

Alohahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Vote. Vote. Vote. For TRob on the CBSsports.com NCAA BB page. He's currently leading Davis 45% to 42%. Drummond is 3rd with 13%.

I just thought of a great way to end the POY debacle. Have TRob arm wrestle Davis. Winner take all.

No contest!!!

stm62 2 years, 7 months ago

Just more fuel for Tyshaun to prove them wrong in the dance.

JurisJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

It's "Tyshawn," not "Tyshaun." He's been here for four years...come on.

KULA 2 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of this and that, anyone hear about Ben Howland's response to the SI article about the debacle that is the UCLA basketball program now? To allegations of Howland turning a blind eye to fighting and bullying amongst teammates in practice, Howland responded, to the affect, "hard fouls and cheap shots, that's all. That's different than a fist flying at someone." Really? Cheap shots against your teammates in practice is acceptable? God I'm glad the refs called out this brand of coaching thuggery and sent Mario to the line last year. Howland will probably last through another year, but barring a deep run in the tournament in 2013, better start polishing up his resume. He should be welcome back in the Big East. Hope no one in the Big 12 (or whatever we are next year) picks up this mother thugger.

Note2Self 2 years, 7 months ago

He should take Weber's job. That dude is so done.

8ball 2 years, 7 months ago

wheres the story about how the ncaa warned ku and other schools about shabazz?

bradynsdad 2 years, 7 months ago

Anyone read the espn article about UK's myth? calapari explains how he hates the one and done rule. I thought it was hilarious! So let's have some fun, here are some other headlines I believe would rival this story.

1. Bill Self says he hates winning big 12 titles
  2. Missouri primed to finally make a final four
  3. Vitale doesn't care too much for Duke/UNC game

Ok anyone else got one

lincase 2 years, 7 months ago

Bobby Knight thinks the shot fake is overrated as an offensive weapon.

utahjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

The other night it was the "down screen".

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor lacks confidence in his game!

pnl14 2 years, 7 months ago

Missouri packs Paige Arena for Senior Night

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"Frank Martin To Teach Sensitivity Seminar"

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

4] Lew Perkins to put tradition before profit. 5] Bonnie Hendrickson proud of her record at Kansas. 6] The Cave announces going all non-alchohol, health drink smoothies. 7] Memorial Stadium track considered a beloved tradition that should remain. 8] KU Grad Bill James says, "The heck with numbers...I'll go by my gut!!" 9] Coach Gill proud of groundwork he left behind for CW. 10] KU School of Architecture restricts weekly total hours of students.

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

LOL! ^5 for #8 especially.

"Campanile to be turned into hip hob club to lure tall recruits"

tis4tim 2 years, 7 months ago

ESPN to end catch phrases during broadcasts

Digger Phelps switching to all black neckties

Golf declared most exciting spectator sport of all according to new poll

Ahperse gets a life

Coach Cal to host ethics clinic

rwhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

KU's "whoooo" receives Best College Cheer Award

Note2Self 2 years, 7 months ago

In blind taste test Roy Williams chooses Pepsi over Coke

Wisconsin's high-powered, exciting, fast paced offense primed for deep tourney run

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

UNC coach roy installs slow down game, with the stall and the zone. Bernie FIne at Syracuse likes little girls. Frank Haith applying for Razorback job, denies he wants more Mike Anderson recruits.. Dan Beebee hired to replace Chuckie N.

SDSurferFan 2 years, 7 months ago

Calapari: Needs Support Players, Too Many Stars...focuses on Walk-Ons

Robert Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

On another subject, does anyone find it strange that the LJW has not posted an article on the exit fee settlement for MU and A&M? It seems like they got off pretty easy. after factoring in what the Big 12 will pay the Big East to release WV, there will be a little more than $1M per school. The individual schools may not see any of that money. So much for having exit fees fund Turner Gill's buy -out.

Josh Galler 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe they pay 12 million and this year they will not get their share of revenue, so about 20 million to 30 million they are losing

texashawk10 2 years, 7 months ago

Missouri gives up future TV revenue, but Texas A&M doesn't so Missouri is paying a little bit more than A&M to leave, but not as much as they should be.

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe Matt Tait addressed this in his football Q & A session yesterday. He mentioned several possible explanations & indicated he would look into it and get back to us.

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn is handling his being overlooked for national hoops awards with a great deal of dignity. Nothing becomes this player more than the way in which he has recently conducted himself, focused magnificently as a team leader who is making fewer and fewer mistakes, and played outstanding basketball this final semester. He is supported and ceaselessly promoted in print by the best and winningest coach in the land.
As a professional player, likely he will not have to bear up to the myriad duties and responsibilities of a point guard; will be freed more often to score and defend, focused on the things which he does best.

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Baffles me that Drew and Barnes can lure such top recruits to their programs, in light of the fact that player development and NCAA Tournament success are so lacking at Baylor and Texas. Maybe Texas weather appeals more to the fickle intrigue of players who are inclined to glide on native talents. As hoops programs go, those two schools and coaching departments offer occasional zest and fire, but all too often experience season collapses, with promising talented players smoldering on extenguished burn piles.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I totally get how the kids can be lured to Austin, Tx. It is an incredible city with much to do and SEE (wink, wink).

Waco, on the other hand - not so much. There's something strange going on there.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 7 months ago

Drew is recruiting kids from Houston and Dallas, where Baylor is consider 'old money'. And, perhaps 'old money' is helping out...

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

With the influx of coaching talents such as Gillispie, Kruger, Huggy and Mayor Hoiberg, Big 12 survival is bound to grow ever more excruciating for Drew and Barnes in the next few years. Pitch Bill Self and Frank Martin into that mix, and how can Baylor and Texas basketball make it to the Tournament, year in and out?

vd 2 years, 7 months ago

Really? Your kidding right? Look at their records. You think they won't compete? So you think 1) Barnes, who has more conference championships then anyone else except Self is bad? 2) Drew, who took a team that was basically given the death penality, to this position is a bad coach?

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 7 months ago

I believe he's only saying that Baylor and Texas won't make the tourney every year. For example, take this year for Texas. Fact is that the Big XII is stocked with very good coaches. Baylor and Texas won't be the only schools challenging KU each year.

chalked 2 years, 7 months ago

I never understood why they would sing "home of the Chiefs" at AFH anyway, stupid. Regarding Scott Drew, all of the conference coaches dislike him. Self is not going to say it publicly, but this is not really a secret.

mikehawk 2 years, 7 months ago

What has happened to Tyshawn and the possibility he might be added to the list of Cousy Award finalist? The last I heard there were two point guards on the list from the Big 12, and neither one was TT. What's up with that? There was talk, however, and apparently a precedent, for names to be added later in the year when warranted. It's warranted.

bradynsdad 2 years, 7 months ago

Must be hard for Davis to put up his numbers in such a dominating conference. Not counting Kentucky the sec has a combined total of 4 final fours. Why brag about beating Georgia? People seem to forget the fact that both Zellers dominated Davis and that in the sec anyone can put up great numbers. Boise State football players think Kentucky plays in a weak conference.

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

My understanding is that some names have been added, and Tyshawn is still not on the list. I think it really makes the committee look bad.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Come on, Bill...it's OK. We all know you think Scott Drew is a tool. Heck, we all feel the same way. Let your domination of Baylor speak for itself.

Shucks, if Baylor dumped Drew, they might get in someone who can actually coach...we don't want that!!

Just look how well it works out for us versus Texas!!!!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"Tad Boyle to move to Baylor: "I'm tired of drab Colorado"

WilburNether 2 years, 7 months ago

You know the Texas expression, "Big hat, no cattle?" One of these years, high school players will finally come to understand that Scott Drew is all recruiting, no coach. The guy can't coach at this level. He had the most talent in the Big 12 this year -- and proceeded to do the least with it. No question that Baylor wins this season's Big 12 Underachiever of the Year award. By now, the fact that Drew can't coach should be obvious to most, and it can't be long before it's obvious to all. Sooner or later, quality players will stop going there.

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

"He had the most talent in the Big 12 this year..."

Let's edit this to proper reflection:

"He had the most talent in the Big 12 the last three years..."

/FIXED!!!

WilburNether 2 years, 7 months ago

More than Kansas in the two previous years? Seriously? On what planet?

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

"LJW Announces Headline Contest: Keegan Rushed to ER"

Sam Constance 2 years, 7 months ago

That's some "quality" journalism there, Sports Illustrated.

Reporting a person's thoughts/feelings/opinions without ever speaking to that person.

I have to admit, it makes me question the inside look at the UCLA program. How many of those facts and information came from pure speculation?

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

The one thing that bothered me about the UCLA piece was that so much of their story came from sources that preferred to remain anonymous. But, Reeves Nelson did go on record and acknowledged some of the stuff he did.

Sam Constance 2 years, 7 months ago

And now it seems that Reeves Nelson's lawyer--whose last name is (I kid you not) Fink--is "fighting back" about that article, asking SI to issue a retraction.

He claims he has text messages from every player who was specifically mentioned in the article in reference to Nelson that says something to the effect of "categorically false" about what was written in the article.

That being said...

1) Reeves Nelson does seem like a piece of trash, so nothing in the article strikes me as so unbelievable that it must be false.

2) It's weird to me that all the former players who were mentioned as recipients of Reeves Nelson abuse have used such similar language in denying the article, and that they ALL texted Nelson (or his lawyer). That just seems unrealistic. Kind of like the "orgy of evidence" issue in detective work--at a certain point, having so much evidence calls into question how valid it really is.

3) Mr. Fink has yet to file a legal suit against SI, and I guarantee that they aren't retracting ANYTHING unless Nelson's lawyer files suite AND has a pretty solid case. Even then, I think they would sooner settle with Fink and Reeves, rather than admit that their journalistic integrity was compromised.

Funny. I was skeptical until I saw Nelson's lawyer's response today, which really made me feel that it was more likely that the article had some uncomfortable truths.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 7 months ago

The students at the end of the anthem use the phrase "Home of the Chiefs". Where does that come from? That makes no sense being at a KU mens basketball game. Someone help me understand.

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 7 months ago

First. Only students are saying "Home of the Chiefs" at the end? Prove it. Second. Who cares? Third. Ever notice that when "the man" tells a group to stop doing something like this, certain people find that motivation to keep it going? Especially when it doesn't hurt a soul....

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't care if it's only students or not.

Who cares? HCBS does for one. I think from the responses on this board that there's a large contingent of fans that don't like it either.

No it doesn't "hurt a soul", but it's stupid, for all the reasons that have already been stated. I mean, me saying that your mom is a 2-bit __ doesn't "hurt" anybody, but that doesn't mean I should say it.

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 7 months ago

I like how you skipped over the meat of my comments.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

How could he have "skipped over" what isn't there?

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 7 months ago

I was talking about the part - "Ever notice that when "the man" tells a group to stop doing something like this, certain people find that motivation to keep it going?"

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not saying I'm for it or against it. I'm indifferent.There are more important things in this world to get so worked up about. It has seemed silly to me for years, but I think people should be able to do what they like when it doesn't hurt anybody. Freedom of speech and all that meaningless drivel.

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

"I think people should be able to do what they like when it doesn't hurt anybody. Freedom of speech and all that meaningless drivel."

They obviously can. No one is talking about having them arrested or revoking their constitutional rights. But there's a difference between having having the right to do something, and whether they should actually do it. First of all, it IS disrespectful. To all those men & women who have fought to give these idiots freedom of speech. Think of it like this - do you think people have the right to picket military funerals? Sure, legally they probably have that right. Should they do it? Absolutely not. Now what these morons are doing obviously doesn't approach that level, but it's disrespect all the same.

To quote Chris Rock, "you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that doesn't make it a good effin' idea!"

And lastly to your point that "There are more important things in this world to get so worked up about," you obviously cared enough to post on this issue twice now.

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 7 months ago

If you haven't figured it out by now....I'm intentionally pushing your buttons

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 7 months ago

If you haven't figured it out by now....I'm intentionally pushing your buttons

Kye Clark 2 years, 7 months ago

Funny that you think that you're "pushing my buttons." There's a lot of regular posters on here that can attest to the fact that I enjoy repeatedly posting back & forth, especially in an argument where I have logic on my side and get to call people idiots :)

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Is he an idiot because of what he says, or just because he wants to see if he can get away with saying something outrageous, like he has since middle school?

Freedom of Speech is a right, but that does not mean there are no consequences from just plain mouthing off. It affects the kind of job one is able to get, or keep. It affects the kind of woman you get to spend time with. It affects a lot of things one would rather blame on fate being unkind. Been there, done that. It may not be right, but it is SO.

gchawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Looks like a possible replacement for the Mizzou rivalry is being created. There were very nasty comments on the Baylor message board before and after the KU/ Baylor game concerning KU and particularly Coach Self.

aerohawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I think Frank Martin said it isn't a rivalry when one team wins all the time (in reference to the KU KSU rivalry).

Baylor needs to wins some games first.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Why? Mizzou won about a third of our games. Some people don't make a distinction between an irritant and a rival.

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 7 months ago

Still think Baylor is going to get nailed for recruiting violations. No way in hell that school or town can be LEGALLY getting the talent that it is. Just sayin'.

KGphoto 2 years, 7 months ago

100%. Surprising the instant recruiting success alone hasn't triggered an investigation.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Supposing your suspicions are valid, how great have they done with "talents for sale" ???

Kevin Kunde 2 years, 7 months ago

Jim Corneilson is as patriotic as they come when you're talking about National Anthems... I can't believe KU snagged this guy to sing on Saturday! Watch his rendition before a Chicago Blackhawks game... Chilling.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QswTLB...

topflight 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree. It gives me chills everytime I hear it. He sings it better than anyone ever has. Sorry Christina, sorry Eli young, sorry Whitney. HE IS THE BEST.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

"better than anyone ever has" must be from someone who didn't hear George Shirley at a Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit, back when they and the Cowboys mattered.

Not to say he (Jim) isn't great, but that he has a lot of company once you ignore the pop stars who mostly can't deliver a legitimate rendition so resort to embarrassing themselves with visual and auditory distraction from their lack of musical talent or accomplishment.

Note2Self 2 years, 7 months ago

No comments on this yet?

It seems Self’s mom and dad were flooded with phone calls from Missouri’s Antlers after the phone number of Self’s parents was shown on a sign during ESPN’s College GameDay ... The Antlers have been notorious for obtaining phone numbers of KU players and coaches throughout the years.

Charming to the last. Those see you next Tuesdays are all loads their mother's should have swallowed.

John Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

I'll be retiring this avatar after the conference tourney – just sorry they skipped out before this wall was as full as the other three in the trophy room!

Orangedog87 2 years, 7 months ago

TT go forth and win.

Remember none of the KUBB players that won the 2008 national championship were named all Big 12 Team ( I may be wrong about the exact Big12 award...but I know they were snubbed...)

Win the award on the court like the 2008 players and that goes for the entire team. Dont count on awards they are political...count on your talents, ability, hard hard work, great coaching, KU fan support and love of the game that you gave so much of your time .....

Thanks for a great season and a lot of great games ... Mo at AFH, Ohio St at AFH, KU at Mo, KU at KSU, .....

Thanks for being a Jayhawk.... so far from Hoboken that they call KU hicksville ( I lived in NJ so I know)..that in part is what makes you great...the decision to play for a team so far away from the east coast and not being afraid to do it

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU...Rock Chalk Jayhawk KUBB....

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 7 months ago

Forget the "Home of the Chiefs"... I hope everyone realizes tomorrow that when Jim Cornelison sings the national anthem in Chicago the crowd cheers raucously throughout the entire song! I hope that all fans in "The House" on Saturday are cheering too loud to hear anyone say home of thr brave or home of the Chiefs!

topflight 2 years, 7 months ago

SOMEONE PLEASE RECORD JIM CORNELISON AND POST IT TO YOU TUBE. That guys is amazing.

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

Just saw Bill up in the perch watching his two high school recruits play in the state tournament. He's up there by himself, so I feel like I need to cruise over there and bring him a Blue Moon.

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, not state tournament, just senior night for Heights against North. Frannenkamp (sp?) is going off, just saw him can a three from the john in the locker room.

Krohnutz 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah man, I'm sitting in a hotel in Wichita and they were showing the replay, how I figured out it wasn't substate (which I thought it was at first). After watching it I'm more stoked than before about Frannenkamp, I have no idea if that guy has a range limitation. Parking lot? The locker room? McDonald's down the street?

Orangedog87 2 years, 7 months ago

TT you are the miracle of KU and St Anthony......gohawks

Steve Brown 2 years, 7 months ago

recall when Shady Arthur woke up annouced had a dream to attend Kansas and text'd HCBS.

Let me see, what will I do before the game tonight, oh my what's that on Tivo the 2.25 Mizz game, that should fire up the house.

I gave up vodka for lent and I'm running out of scotch....