Sunday, July 15, 2012

Rivals analyst evaluates KU’s 2013 hoops recruiting class

Kansas commit Conner Frankamp, center, watches from behind the bench prior to tipoff against Missouri on Feb. 25, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Rivals.com released its updated 2013 basketball recruiting rankings earlier this month, and Kansas commit Conner Frankamp moved up from No. 42 to 28 while fellow KU commit Brannen Greene remained at No. 31.

Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Eric Bossi, who has been on the road more than 50 days since mid-March evaluating high-school players, took some time to talk about the new rankings and also the potential for KU coach Bill Self to have a strong recruiting class in 2013.

Q: Conner Frankamp made a pretty significant jump in your rankings. What was the reason for that?

A: I think he’s already been kind of on the climb. Obviously, he had a ridiculous junior season at Wichita North. I thought that once he got out there and showed everyone that he could do it ... I tend to be more cautious at moving guys up. Sometimes the local kids are the hardest to evaluate because you’ve seen them so many times. I just think his overall body of work — high school, AAU, international, whatever — he’s done very well wherever he’s been. Clearly, he needs to start being thought about as one of the top players in the country.

Q: Where do you think he’s developed most in the last year?

A: He’s always been really skilled. At times, he’s maybe been kind of passive, believe it or not. So I think he’s been more aggressive. I think he’s gone and made sure he’s handling the ball a lot more, because I know some people wondered, ‘Is he really a point guard?’ ‘Is he a small shooting guard?’ At the end, it doesn’t matter; he’s a player. But I think he’s become more aggressive not just in scoring but making sure he’s the playmaker that things run through.

Q: What’s part of his game that he can still improve?

A: Conner, he needs to get stronger. That’s something obviously age and college are going to play a big factor in. So I’m not too entirely worried about that. But the class of 2013 nationally is a really good class. There’s a lot of really good players that won’t be five stars or won’t even make the Rivals150 that are going to help out good college basketball programs. It’s just a competitive class, and we’ll just need to keep watching them to see what they do.

Q: Is he a guy that’s always going to face questions with his size because he’s not the tallest at 6-foot-1?

A: Yeah. Let’s face it. Look at the ratings right now with big, athletic point guards. Whether or not a point guard can shoot anymore ... obviously, you’d like it if they can shoot, but I think the trend has gone toward bigger, more physical, athletic point guards, who are kind of pick-and-roll players, attack the rim, get things done, and not as much shooters. So he doesn’t fit the size prototype of the ideal point guard these days, but with his skill and everything, it certainly helps overcome that. I think he doesn’t fit the mold of what a lot of people are looking for in a point guard right now, and that’s just in terms of style of game and size. Not me in particular, but with some people, he has to continue to win people over that he can score and make plays, and that that translates to the next level.

Q: I’ve heard all sorts of comparisons with him. I just wondered if there’s anybody you see similarities to when you see Frankamp play?

A: I generally am not good with comparisons — one that just jumps out at me. I just don’t spend too much time trying to think of comparisons. It doesn’t really matter to me. There’s no one that really sticks out at me, at least that we’ve seen locally at either one of the schools. I would say he’s more like Jacob Pullen than he is Russell Robinson, though, if that makes any sense. I’m sure some people have compared him to Pullen. He’s a high-scoring combo guard in college who will, because of the way Kansas plays, play a 1 or a 2. But there’s none that jumps out at me. It’s too easy to make a Jeff Boschee comparison.

Q: With Brannen Greene, he stayed the same in the Rivals rankings. What do you see from him?

A: Brannen is a really good player. He’s not a Brandon Rush/Ben McLemore-type wing athlete, but he can really shoot the ball. He’s strong. He’s smart. And he’s just got a feel for scoring a bucket. There are some guys who just naturally have a feel for being in the right place at the right time, moving without the ball, all that stuff. Brannen understands all that stuff. So I think while there may be some guys that athletically have some things he (doesn’t), the reason he ranks so high is because of his skill level.

Q: I read that you said he would fit well as a 3 at KU. Why do you believe that?

A: If you can hit your corner jump shot in the Kansas offense, you’re going to get a lot of open looks, because with the baseline drive and kick ... Xavier Henry feeds off the corner three-pointers. Brandon Rush feeds off that. Brady Morningstar. Tyrel Reed. If you can make that shot, and you can defend — which, Brannen is a solid defender, because he uses his physicality — then you’re going to play. He’s also a guy, when they go to some of that weave stuff, can take it, turn a corner and take two dribbles into a mid-range and make something happen.

Q: Is there anything with Brannen’s game that he can still improve on?

A: Lateral quickness, because in college, the fact is, he’s going to be matched up with a lot of smaller players. There’s a lot of teams that play 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 in the backcourt now. A 6-6, 200-pound guy obviously is not always going to be as quick as those guys. But just quickness and continued development off the dribble. I think he’s done a good job of that. He’s a solid player. I think he’s going to be good.

Q: You were talking about how strong the class of 2013 is. Would Frankamp and Greene be ranked higher if this was another year?

A: No, not necessarily, because when I say that it’s strong, I would say that it’s strong in not just the top 10. You get the top 10, then you’ve got 25-35 players that are really good. It’s more depth versus high-end talent. That’s why I was saying there are going to be a lot of good not-five-star players. There’s going to be a lot of really good not-ranked players, just because there’s really good depth in this class. Obviously, there’s a couple potential stars up at the top, but outside of that — from 25 to 150 — it doesn’t lose much integrity in terms of ability.

Q: KU has Frankamp and Greene committed already, and the Jayhawks are also in the running for a few other guys. Does this have the potential to be a pretty big class for KU coach Bill Self coming up?

A: Yeah, obviously. You look at probably the two biggest names left on their board are Anthony Barber, who’s No. 9 in the country, and Julius Randle, No. 2 in the country. They’re doing pretty well with each of those guys. Do they get them? Who knows yet. But they have legitimate chances at both of those guys. They’re definitely in the mix for both of those guys. If you add those guys to what you already have — or if you even add one of them to what you already have and whatever else — you’ve got a pretty strong class right there.

Q: Can you tell me a little about Randle and his game? I know that you’ve said he’s been a top target for KU.

A: He’s going to play the power forward in college. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that. But while he’s a power forward, he’s kind of in that Terrence Jones mode in that he can go out, he can handle the ball a little bit, he makes just enough jump shots while not being a great shooter, but it keeps you honest. But he’s a unique mismatch, except that he’s a lot better than Terrence Jones was at this age. Maybe he’s not quite yet as explosive as Terrence Jones has been in traffic the last couple years, but … he’s a dynamic, off-the-dribble power forward.

Comments

rafters 2 years, 2 months ago

He was 4 in 1998. That's a horrible horrible post on multiple levels.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

a white long sleeve shirt is out of style?

everyone has one of those in their closet.

how can you make a comment on fashion based on one photograph from the shoulders up?

what if that shirts got a jayawk cross the chest?

David Leathers 2 years, 2 months ago

It might not have a Jayhawk across the chest, but I sure can see the "J-A-Y..." on his left sleeve. Mangina needs some vinegar and water... he needs a douche.

tical523 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't even know if that was a swing and miss. If that was anger or hate in the comment then WTF, get real man. If that was back handed humor then FAIL CITY.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 2 months ago

You or someone else already used a 1998 reference this week. Work on new material. Besides, in all reality things haven't changed much from 1998 until now.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

man-holz is touching his Heather Graham poster.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 2 months ago

really???!?! are you a judge on Project Runway now? this kid will still be able to land more chicks in his sleep than most guys on campus, oh and by the way, he's going to be doing what all of these posters would love to be able to do - suit up for the hawks.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

It looks better than whoever is sitting in front of him and why do you care?

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow, m-holz. Style advice given late on a Saturday night by someone with plenty of time to post. Thanks, but . . .

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Why is no one talking about centers!? Jeff is a senior people. We should have had another young center on this team last year. Of course, we lost that one really good Kansas guy to none other than Kentucky. Jeff Withey's replacement is not on this team as of now, no one on this team could ever develop into what he is mainly due to lack of size.

I think we can still win with hybrid big guys like Ellis and Peters but a dominant center has always been part of our offense. There has been Jeff, Cole, Sasha and countless others...

Although, this very problem is the reason I think we will land Julius Randle.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

A couple of things...........KU was never really recruiting Willie Cauley (Kentucky) and Cauley's camp never was really interested in KU so it's a two way street on that recruitment.

As for a big time center.........Kansas missed out on Tarc, who went to Arizona. With that said, I think KU is going to be fine in the big man department. You have to remember, when KU was cruising on al cylinders in 2008, Kaun was coming off the bench as the true center.

Even though KU missed out on Tarc's size for this upcoming season, I think KU will be just fine with the hybrid "BigMan" as they were in 2008.

saad007 2 years, 2 months ago

I really do hope we will land Randle, otherwise we might have a problem next year..

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Killerman on the standpoint that we need a Center. It's always good to have somebody as tall as Jeff Withey on the roster. Although, I won't be upset if KU signs Chris Walker and starts him at Center. He isn't a true Center, but is somebody who is 6-10 and has crazy athleticism.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

KU doesn't need a true center to be successful. Bill Self teams are their most successful when there is a shot blocker patrolling the lane whether it's a 5 or a 4.

samfino2012 2 years, 2 months ago

agreed, and people need to stop worrying about it, bill self is a great coach and im sure that him not recruiting centers, or landing centers i should say isnt worrying him a lot, i think we'll land randle personally, i just hope he's good and isnt a one and done top 5 recruit that we always get, id love to see self develope randle's big time talent and athleticism. i think he would be a stud freshman year for kansas, and i only expect even BETTEr recruiting from kansas because we have 3, again THREE head coaches coaching our squad now (in self, roberts, and, of course, doc sadler) and i think a lot of players will want to play for that. and know that self can develop anything into a tough and excellent ball player.

with this being said, hey, look, Jabari narrowed his top ten, kansas is on that list, how huge would that be for us...the two best players in the class?! i personally thing self can do it.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I would imagine that Bill Self is keeping an eye on the S. California volleyball circuit, seeking another spectacular shotblocker to replace Jeff. Maybe our European exposure will catch the eye of an international big. That 5 position will certainly be up for grabs after this season. A 6'11" recruit looking for instant television and Final Four exposure might best pledge allegiance to Jayhawk hoops. Self is climbing toward the pinnacle of his Div. I acumen. Although the NCAA Tournament is an annual crapshoot, Kansas should experience fewer early exits now that their coach is on a smoother more experienced roll in March and April competition.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Good point REHawk

I've been keeping my eyes on the S.Cal volleyball circuit as well.

Women's beach volleyball. hehe

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 2 months ago

LOL...I'd like to have Jeff Withey on my volleyball team.

Justin Daniel 2 years, 2 months ago

Randle is going to Duke or UNC, the focus needs to be on getting Shepard or Lawrence and Barber.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Totally agree...Coach Roach has his Dukie claws well into that kids soul...we need a Shepard to lead the flock!!!

lothario64118 2 years, 2 months ago

i hope KU gets Barber as well. my only concern is that Tarc had been recruited for a long time by Self and lost him to Zona.

Anyone believe Self will land Gordon? not a center but big time player.

ccarp 2 years, 2 months ago

I really enjoyed the insights on the in-coming class. A perfect read in July! :-)

TexasHawk44 2 years, 2 months ago

I am constantly amazed at the number or morons and posers on this site. Manginorh....whatever you asinine name is: get your unemployed butt out of bed and ask mommy to make you some waffles...

And Oklajayhawk, I did not know we were so honored to have Randle's AAU coach posting on here. Or are you is godfather? Because you certainy have all the inside information, don't you? Bill Self should swing by the 7-11 after your shift and scoop you up for his recruiting team.

Give me a break!

Justin Daniel 2 years, 2 months ago

TexasHawk44 - Maybe if you learned how to spell, certainly, your later comment about having an IQ of 100 to post on this site would have some merit.

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

What about Semi Ojeleye?!!! He lives in fricken OTTAWA. The guy is the #5 SF in the nation!! How do we not have that sewn up like grandma's sweater on Christmas Eve???

If he goes to K-State, I will throw up in my mouth.

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Ralster, please do not act like I am the only one who is shocked by the fact that a potential Mcdonald's AA living about 20 miles south of Lawrence Kansas does not appear to be interested in KU and vice versa. That makes you look stupid, not me.

"You gotta get your local guys." - Bill Self

Dan Cook 2 years, 2 months ago

What's the mystery? It's a KState family isn't it? More importantly, why do we need more kids his size? We have plenty of guys who can do what he does. Let's get a mega-guard and more bigs with that scholarship.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who is truly "shocked" by a player Self and co. did or didn't go after is being foolish, imho.

I tend to fall in the camp of "Bill Self knows a hell of a lot more about the kids he is or isn't recruiting than I could ever hope to know", so I have a hard time wondering too hard about recruits that I think we should be recruiting, rather assuming there is a reason.

Using a PR statement like "you gotta get your local guys" from Coach Self as evidence that he should have been recruiting a given individual is completely missing the point. Self may have said that, but the part he leaves unspoken is this:

"...if they fill a need and are better than existing options and we have roster space and available scholarships and are at all even the slightest bit interested in KU."

You can't make a blanket statement that we should get all local guys, because there will always be year-to-year context. I would also suggest that if an in-state player goes to KSU over KU, it's because there was never any desire on either his part or on KU's part. Sometimes you have to know when to cut ties and spend your effort on guys who have shown interest, rather than going all in on a local guy because he's a local guy.

Keep in mind that KU gets the overwhelming majority of players from this region that are national-caliber, high major recruits. It's unrealistic to expect us to get all of them, for the variety of extenuating circumstances mentioned.

lothario64118 2 years, 2 months ago

ralster,

you tend to lose your cool while posting. get a grip, please...jeez man.

tical523 2 years, 2 months ago

+1. He knows that he knows it all too.

Steven Mathew 2 years, 2 months ago

I heard he's one of the more selfish players in the class. His work ethic isn't exactly one of the best either.

Freedman Moor 2 years, 2 months ago

Semi seems to have his heart set on Duke. As much as I hate anything NC-related, I would go if I had the chance too. This kid comes from an academically accomplished family, and degree from Duke is as good as gold. I would love to see him stay home (at KU or K-State) but I can be objective about it.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for making point, dude. The slurpy machine needs filling.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Slurpy machines run out ???

Take that off my list of Top Ten greatest inventions ever.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Your earlier post about thongs.......also a Top Ten invention!

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

ralster,

the lack of confidence of some of the doubters such as myself stems from the fact that KU basketball is currently experiencing something other elite college programs across any sport rarely do.....a prolonged recruiting drought

if Self strikes out on all his remaining top targets this year and still goes out and wins the next 3 big 12 championships i will never question him again

but until that happens all evidence suggests those elite programs "machine" keeps rolling along as long as the talent keeps coming in

Chris1955 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe the drought has to do with either being willing to pay under the table for players, or promise recruits starting roles. I'm not in favor of either.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

kus national class rankings the last 3 years:

2012: 10th 2011: 29th 2010: 23rd

now lets compare that to the other recruiting powerhouses we typically compete against for recruits:

kentucky: 1st, 1st, 1st

unc: 9th, 6th, 4th

duke: NR(one 5* recruit), 2nd, 10th

texas: 11th, 8th, 8th

baylor: 6th, 14th, 25th

relative to our peers(and the first 6 years of selfs recruiting) weve slipped the last 3 years.

recruiting has a delayed impact on a program, this slip isnt going to fully manifest on the court until 2 years from now.

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

Ok,so we just let kids go to our in-state rival so that they can learn their lesson? That's how programs stay on top. If there is talent in your backyard, you do everything you can to pluck it unless there is a major character issue. End of story.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

No. That's not the "end of story".

It's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. There are other things to consider.

Plus, programs like KU, UNC, Duke, etc. don't stay on top by getting their backyard players. They stay on top by putting a good team together, regardless of where they're from.

Greg Ledom 2 years, 2 months ago

Keller, if you continue to post such gibberish, you will continue to look like the foolish imp you must surely be. Trust in your SELF, and thats really all you need to know, or does a simple minded person such as yourself need more than that?

J.T. Even 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think you do whatever it takes if the guy is not interested in the program or would not be a good fit. Self has done very well EVERY stinking year besides a few early exits in the tournament.

I agree with ralster. KU fans are both insecure AND spoiled. Its embarrassing.

otjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Ojeyleye kid is not interested in KSU and resents KU because they joined the recruiting process to late (this could change I believe). His favorites right now are UCLA and Duke

april28 2 years, 2 months ago

That photo brings back some great memories of one of the greatest games I've ever seen in any sport. Those kids were lucky to be on recruiting a recruiting trip that day!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Gee, I didn't realize today was National Bash Your Fellow Jayhawk Poster Day. So in keeping with the spirit of the holiday, all of you are wrong, none of you know squat and I am, as always, the only one who is right!!!

PS Posted with absolutely no malice and tongue so far in cheek in hurts!!! :)

Chill out all and enjoy the fact we are Jayhawks and everyone else is NOT!!!!

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

ditto, ditto, ditto, and shemp.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

I think this Q&A is a great example to the rankings doubters as to why Rivals is a serious source for recruiting information.

Bossi is so deep into the world of college basketball he can site specific roles in specific sets of our offense Greene will thrive in.

there are a few really knowledgable frequent posters on this site but the vast majority of posters, particularly the guys that love to mock the rankings, probably have no idea what the "baseline drive and kick" or "weave stuff" Bossi references means.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

That's a good point, but there's another takeaway from this Q&A session that seems to support at least some aspects of the "rankings doubters".

On Question #3, Bossi replies, in part, by pointing out how strong the 2013 class is, and how there will be several really good players not even inside the Rivals 150 when all is said and done. Given the amount of hand wringing that goes on with some when we land recruits outside the top 50, I'd say this is a point a lot of the recruiting critics don't really internalize.

Yes, the recruiting scouts and gurus are providing informed analysis--it's not like they just rank these kids based on their names or where they played or any other number of random criteria. But they also are attempting to compile a slew of diverse and varying opinions on a bunch of kids who play each other to varying degrees. The higher you get in the rankings--where more scouts are likely to have seen a given kid--the more consensus and therefore better accuracy a kid's ranking will have. But when you get outside the top 25-30 players, the stratification is going to be markedly decreased, as you have fewer available opinions on which to base said rankings, and the difference between each guy in the list is going to be less.

Or you can look at it this way--do we really think Connor got a whopping 14 slots better in terms of pure skill since the last evaluation? Or is it slightly possible that he was underrated before? And what's to stop a kid's final ranking from being over or under where it should be--it's not like the final ranking is any closer to a kid's actual ability than the ranking previous.

Recruit ranking is a necessary evil, but I just grow tired of how the rankings are treated like gospel and how anyone who is critical of the rankings therefore believes they are completely worthless.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you.

I really dont fret about Self going after the #97 ranked kid as aposed to the #81 ranked kid.

What angers me is when Self spends years of time recruiting kids in the top 30 and then settles on the #97 kid as a back up plan only to have people rationalize the #97 kid was the guy Self wanted all along and try to argue that the #97 kid is a better prospect than the top 30 kid because the rankings dont mean anything and the #97 kid "fits Self's system"

TexasHawk44 2 years, 2 months ago

People who cannot trust Coach Self at this point are total idiots. They are the same morons who sit in coach and think they could pilot the plane better during turbulence. Just because someone is a fellow KU fan doesn't make them intelligent --clearly. There should be an IQ test (by definition 100 is average so let's be generous and start at 90) to get a username on this site. Just a suggestion to the LJW. Of course then there wouldn't be many posts, would there?

TexasHawk44 2 years, 2 months ago

Kellerman: are you always this dense? Better go to Costco and stock up on Altoids...

Jason Keller 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know who's posts your reading, bud. All I did was express my concern for the lack of a typical KU 7 footer and my confusion for the whole semi situation. No one said they didn't trust Self. Jesus, the guy has won 8 straight. I trust his opinion and I also trust the opinion of the USA men's basketball team head coach, coach K. I mention him because he has extended an offer to Semi and is praying that he accepts. Semi also has some offers from a couple other programs that you may have heard of, how about Indiana, UCLA, Wisconsin and Stanford. Someone above mentioned that Semi can be hard headed and hard to deal with. Hard to believe that with standing offers from Stanford and Duke.

So why no offer from Bill? It's not a matter of talent or ability, obviously. It must be about character, fit or needs. I'm simply intrigued by the situation and bursting with curiosity. Like the rude person above already stated, there is clearly something we don't know. The suspense is killing me though.

As for you mr. TexasHawk44, the trash needs emptied and the bathrooms are filthy. I suppose that pretty much accounts for the rest of your afternoon. I have to get back to work.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

Bossi just confirmed the one concern i had from the videos ive seen on Greene.

He doesn't strike me as overly quick. which means hes never going to be an amazing defender.

a guy with limited defensive upside doesnt strike me as a typical Bill Self recruited.

on the plus side, to be a defensive liability and still ranked that high indicates hes got to be amazing on the offensive end

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

You apparently missed Bossi saying this - "If you can make that shot, and you can defend — which, Brannen is a solid defender, because he uses his physicality — then you’re going to play."

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 2 months ago

Please pass this along:

Mr. Willmott was one of my high school teachers back in JC. Let's make it happen!!!

lothario64118 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks! I have passed your link on to a college basket board I post on. KU fan base is the largest followed by the Dookies, Tarheels and UK.

JayhawkinLexington 2 years, 2 months ago

Prof Willmott is a great guy and a class act. I will definitely donate to the cause. jawhawkinATL, I'm moving to the ATL at the end of this month after the bar exam. Is there a strong alumni group down there?

jayhawkinATL 2 years, 2 months ago

Cool! Yes, the KU group is pretty active. It's headed by Erica Smith. She's very proactive in getting people together for watch parties, outings to Braves games, get-togethers with other Big 12 schools, etc. I went to KU b-ball games at South Carolina and Tennessee, which Erica coordinated the effort. Check it out on Facebook...it's the Georgia Jayhawks group.

JayhawkinLexington 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to getting down there! I'll definitely be in attendance for the Champions Classic.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

re: Willie and Semi...some guys want to go away for all kinds of reasons. Or maybe they don't like pot, or rumors of pot investigations?

Danny Manning didn't go to UNC.

Lucious Allen went to UCLA.

This not a new phenomenon.

The only new phenomenon is the black cloud of a pot investigation. But Semi and Willie were already wanting to go away long before the black cloud.

Too much conflict over too little.

Self will have plenty of bigs next year, even if he doesn't sign another.

Self has only had a playable footer two years out of his 10. They don't grow on trees.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Danny Manning didn't go to UNC.

Lucious Allen went to UCLA.

This not a new phenomenon.

Too much conflict over too little.

Self will have plenty of bigs next year, even if he doesn't sign another.

JHAWKSWAG 2 years, 2 months ago

hawkmoon2020 2 years, 2 months ago

These new Rival rankings have been out for awhile, and they are just now posting it here? Geesh. Also, Rivals hasn't even updated their 2013 Team Rankings based on commits. Ugh. Will be interesting how recruits and rankings pan out through next Spring. And as far as not getting all of the "local" talent, give it a rest. It's not like those guys weren't on HCBS radar. Either he or they ultimately decided that there wasn't enough interest. Unfortunately, but respectfully, some locals may grow up loving an out of state team, and want to go there. It happens.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Regarding Semi O. of instate Ottawa, Jayhawk Nation and LJW have not seemed to have captured positive Jayhawk vibes, as in the cases of Wichita's Ellis and Frankamp. Ellis looked around carefully before committing, but seems to be well sold on his future in crimson and blue. Frankamp obviously cherished the Bill Self offer from the getgo. For whatever set of reasons, the Semi recruitment to Kansas did not gather much interest or public momentum. Perhaps it never occurred...or, if it did so, too late in the game to interest Semi and family. Small forwards appear to be easier to find than point guards and big men. Not every instate athlete desires to remain close to family and a nearby state institution. I wish the kid well; but if he is not sold on KU hoops, or if Self is not sold on his future as a Jayhawk, then so be it. Bye-bye, and best of good fortune east of the Mississippi. I tend to get fired up by the talented and scholarly recruits who cherish the offer to play with the Jayhawks...and who don't wait until the week before fall university classes, playing the waiting game, trying to parlay their skills into bargaining chips for better deals or guarantees with other coaches and programs.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"The Silence of the Leaders"

Like a calm before a storm.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

One thing in that picture of ConFran leaped out at me.

Look at the hand on that guy!!!!

That is a basketball player's hand if I ever saw one.

The guy is 6-1 and he's got the hands of a 6-5 guy.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 2 months ago

Anybody remember "The Professor" from the "..And One" early days?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

"...from 25 to 150 — it doesn’t lose much integrity in terms of ability."

This is precisely why you can't put too much faith in rivals.com rankings to evaluate recruits. True, it's a decent guide, but there are plenty of good recruits outside the top 25. That's why I always wait to reserve judgement until I actually see the guys play. The eye test does matter.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for posting that, HawkKlaw. This is the other quote from the Q&A that I was trying to find when I responded to bennybob above, but couldn't locate it.

If a Rivals guy himself is pointing out the lack of stratification between 25 and 150 in his own rankings, you better believe it's the truth.

Which is why it makes me so frustrated when I hear people talking about the "recruiting drought" over the past several years when KU has had multiple recruits within the top 50 in every year, including a couple #1 overall guys.

Only in sometimes unrealistic Jayhawk Nation could KU's recruiting outcomes over the past several years be looked at as "recruiting failure". Of course, I think some people's viewpoints are skewed by the fact that we have an NBA factory going on at Kentucky and certain other schools right now.

For anyone who wants to get elite, cream-of-the-crop recruiting classes every year as the answer to everything, I submit to you two examples of that same style of recruiting:

Kentucky Arizona

Obviously the former has realized a fair amount of success with that approach. Kentucky has appeared in one Final Four and won a Championship with that approach. I'm not convinced that model is good for sustainable success, but it's certainly been successful in the short term for Worldwide Wes...er... John Calipari and crew.

The latter, however, has not achieved results even close to the ranking of their classes since Sean Miller took over. Yes, two seasons ago they had some success (Elite 8?), but it came on the back of an unranked guy (Derrick Williams). And last year, they had an outstanding stable of recruits (#7 class overall by ESPN) with two 5-stars and two 4-stars and didn't even make the tournament.

I only type all this to point out that you should be careful what you demand as a basketball fan. Personally, I prefer to do it this way, enduring a little less excitement at recruit-signing time, and a little more enjoyment when I see how Coach Self yet again puts together a winner by shaping the recruits he does get into hard-nosed winners.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. Bill Self's/KU's recruiting slump is a myth. The only recruiting woes I've seen were last season and they were due to a myriad of factors (some completely beyond Self's control). But even so KU came out of the deal with BMac and Jamari Traylor. Not too shabby, if I must say so myself. And that's just one season of arguably sub-par recruiting. Every other season Self has landed top-notch talent.

And as far as the Self method vs. the Calapari method, it's obvious that both are effective. I think Calapari may have more chances to win the title with his method, but anytime Self wins a title it will be that much more exciting because he does it with lesser-heralded (yet still highly-skilled) recruits.