Friday, January 20, 2012

Altered anthem bothers Bill Self

‘Home of Chiefs’ chant not ‘honoring your country’

Many fans turned out to watch Kansas women's game against Kansas State on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks fell to the Wildcats, 63-57.

For some inexplicable reason, the words “Home of the Chiefs” instead of “Home of the Brave” emanate from Kansas University’s student section at the conclusion of the “Star-Spangled Banner” before KU basketball games in Allen Fieldhouse.

Ninth-year KU coach Bill Self hopes that peculiar rendition of the national anthem will end as soon as the next home game — Monday versus Texas A&M.

“I kept asking my wife, ‘What are they saying?’’’ said Self, informed by wife, Cindy, that some of the students mimic fans at Arrowhead Stadium — the true Home of the Chiefs — while singing the anthem.

“I said, ‘I didn’t know they were saying that. I couldn’t tell.’ I don’t think that’s good. I don’t think it’s anything we should be proud about as students to carry that on, because I don’t see the place for it when you are honoring your country,” Self added.

Nobody knows exactly when it started, but some of the KU students in the end zones have been chanting “Home of the Chiefs” several seasons now. Some of them perform the “tomahawk chop” when singing those words.

Of course, many students do not take part in the altering of the song.

“That’s one tradition that in my opinion certainly we could do without,” Self said. “I think it’d be more respectful toward the anthem and what that stands for to go ahead and use the actual words to it than putting in their own. I think they should stick to Francis Scott Key’s words. I think that would be more appropriate.”

Anniversary coming: KU’s game against Texas on Saturday (3 p.m., Erwin Center, Austin, Texas) will be played on the one-year anniversary of the death of Thomas Robinson’s mother, Lisa.

“This weekend I’m sure will be emotional for him,” Self said. “You look at the similarities — one-year anniversary, playing Texas, there’s a lot of things.”

The Jayhawks learned of Lisa’s death in the late-evening hours last Jan. 21, the night before KU’s 74-63 loss to the Longhorns — a loss that snapped KU’s school-record 69-game homecourt win streak. The players and several of the players’ mothers consoled Robinson all night/morning long up until game time.

Robinson won’t be asked to re-live the memories publicly this week.

“You guys (media) aren’t going to talk to him between now and then (Saturday). I don’t think that’s fair to him to have to go through that,” Self said. “I am so amazed at how well he’s done. He has a lot of support around him. He’d probably be the first to say that. Still, he’s playing with a smile on his face. He seems like a happy kid, but he’s carrying a much bigger burden than anybody else is carrying at his age for the most part.”

KU’s entire team attended Lisa’s funeral service on Jan. 27, 2011, in Washington, D.C.

“I was so proud of our administration (and) the NCAA for allowing us to do some things. She may have not had a funeral (had KU not been able to pay). Things you take for granted, buying a casket, things like that,” Self said.

“That was a prime example of a group of guys actually becoming a family. It was cool to watch. I think it’s hard to become a family unless you go through a crisis-type situation. That was a crisis-type situation. To see how everybody responded to that ... at the same time, nobody felt sorry for anybody. They wanted to be coached.

“I asked them (players) ... ‘Do you want to talk about anything other than Thomas’ situation and how we all feel about it, because we can do that or do we want to talk about that and (also) try to get better?’ They said, ‘Coach, we’ve got to do both. The world doesn’t stop. You have to keep moving.’

“I think they handled that extremely well. That’s a tribute to our players and our fans. They made Thomas feel like he had family here. I don’t think there’s many places in America ... they would try, but I’m not sure many actually could get it done like KU people did.”

Self has said one of the reasons Robinson is doing so well is that his sister, Jayla, is thriving in Washington, D.C. She lives with her father, James Paris.

KU senior Tyshawn Taylor said he’s seen no change in Robinson with the anniversary approaching.

“He’s a soldier. He’s handled it well and I think will continue to hold up,” Taylor said. “He handled it better than a lot of people I know, definitely better than I would.

“We are there for him,” Taylor added. “If he does break down, we will be there. He hasn’t mentioned it. He hasn’t seemed any different. We’re fine.”

Root canal: Self apologized for slurring his words a bit at his weekly news conference. He had a root canal Thursday morning right before his media session.

Tough place to play: Louisville coach Rick Pitino says Allen Fieldhouse is the most “overpowering” arena in the country.

“Now, I have not taken a team to Duke. There really is not any place I’ve entered where it’s, ‘God, that’s just incredible, what an advantage that is,’’’ Pitino said in an article Thursday on Zagsblog.com. “I don’t think the Joyce is any more difficult than any other place, to be honest with you,” Pitino added, asked about Notre Dame’s Joyce Center. “The only place I’ve found (is Allen) and that could’ve been I was playing with four walk-ons and lost by 50 points, so maybe that was the reason I felt that way.”

KU pounded Pitino’s Kentucky Wildcats, 150-95, on Dec. 9, 1989, in Allen.

Comments

Lance Hobson 2 years, 2 months ago

What is the matter with these idiot students? First of all, no one should change the words to the National Anthem, especially with a tacky insertion of your team. Second of all, KU is not the Chiefs and really not anywhere close to being the Chiefs.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I thought about the issue of the students reputedly altering the words of the Nathional Anthem quite some time.

First, I don't like what the students are doing with the national anthem.

Second, the singing of the national anthem appears to me to be an act of political speech.

Third, it appears to me the First Amendment, whatever else it may apply to, most certainly applies to political speech.

Fourth, IMHO the First Amendment makes it any citizen's right to say what they want in politically oriented speech, and protects them from being prevented from doing so by a government, or government agency, firm, or group, or individual.

Fifth, I cannot imagine any law consistent with the First Amendment of the Constitution granting a government, government agency, firm, group or individual the right to over ride the rights and protections afforded by the First Amendment of the Constitution in this instance.

Therefore: while I prefer that the students not alter the National Anthem in the fashion they reputedly have, it appears to me they have the constitutional right to do it, and others lack the constitutional right to stop them from doing it.

It further appears to me that anyone that would try to stop them from singing the National Anthem the way these students reputedly have been doing would probably be violating these students' Constitutional rights and I infer would incur some legal liability for having done so.

But I am neither a constitutional scholar, nor a first amendment lawyer, just a layman and a citizen opining.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 2 months ago

This is the last I'm posting on this thread... I was talking with a buddy of mine last night, a Mizzou grad, who has a younger brother still enrolled. Apparently Mizzou also does the "home of the chiefs" (Not home of the Rams?) during the anthem. If that isn't an indicator that we need a change, I don't know what is.

addlime 2 years, 2 months ago

"Home of the Chiefs"... totally lame. The Chiefs suck, and have sucked for a long time, not remotely in the same class of tradition as the Jayhawks. Love the Jayhawks, don't give a $#%! about the Chiefs. Insult to the Jayhawks to carry that tradition to a different city, in a different state, and think it applies. Self is correct!

"Woo"... also totally lame. Takes away from the haunting, empty feeling that the opponents should feel and take away from the game. Without the woo, the chant could give the impression that forces greater than those we understand played a part in the opponents defeat. Never say it, totally ignore it. But if the kids like it, whatever.

Am I the only one that sees the Pitino comment, and immediately thinks, "Why does he have to be classless and make excuses for that loss"? Wasn't it his own fault for cursing at Williams when he tried to put in all the subs? So Williams put the starters back in and KU won by 55. At least that's how I remember it. Then the jackass has to talk about walk-ons and make excuses. Sorry buddy, we tried to cut your classless butt a break, but your big mouth blew it.

Gary Bedore 2 years, 2 months ago

What it does boil down to is this. ...

The students' very popular coach has a simple request -- for the students to cease and desist singing, "Home of the Chiefs." Will the students respond by doing him a simple favor and stop singing, "Home of the Chiefs?" You'd think the answer would be "yes" considering the coach is popular and the coach's team is popular. But will the answer be yes?

blowhard 2 years, 2 months ago

National Anthem...respect and treasure the opportunity to enjoy the song so many are denied Worldwide. Don't embarrass oneself mentioning some weak pro football franchise that hasn't won a Super Bowl since long ago in January 1970. The National Anthem is an honor and a tribute to our Nation...the greatest Nation in the history of the World.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 2 months ago

OK. It made the national news now, and it sure makes the fans that use the "chief" word look like the morons that they actually are, http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/45384/bill-self-says-no-to-home-of-the-chiefs

FL_Jhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I am an old timer - attended KU from 73 - 78 and used to sit in the bleachers behind the team. I always liked the tradition and class that KU had. Not properly singing the the national anthem is anti-traditional and anti-class, IMHO. If our anthem offends you, then go on and stay seated and text your frends or whatever. Changing the words is nothing more than class-less.

As for the wooing, it might be fun, but if they stopped doing it for one game, they might be blown away by the errieness of the silence. I just wish they would shut up and give it a try. As is, it is rather silly and certainly not a classy or traditionalist way to do things.

Things change (I have only recently gotten used to the knee-length shorts and wonder when they will go back up, as shorter shorts simply have to be more efficient), but when you youngens are approaching 60 and you are watching a KU BB game in 2052, you will surely appreciate hearing the same old chant, same old Wheaties song, same Go, Fight, Win Jayhawks, etc., and won't cotton to things that have changed too much! Just hope, for you guys, AFH is still being used!

ChelseaJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Its like Team America World Police on here isn't it. The "home" of the brave but also the "home" of 4 soilders who made the papers this week; also the home of Sarah Palin.

American nationalism reminds me of the North Koreans last month; blindly praising everything America does with a total vail of ignorance as to the nature of the outside world. You treat America like a god that shouldn't be sinned against, and you make it more important than people.

"I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world."

AaronHawk19 2 years, 2 months ago

And Gary, HOW ABOUT AN ARTICLE ABOUT KU-TEXAS instead of this BS the day before a game.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Good luck telling students what they can't do.... I wish they would start singing the wheaties song again when players foul out. We always did in the 80's. I guess things come and go and I'm sure this will also.

jhawk2003 2 years, 2 months ago

Wait, Allen Fieldhouse isn't home to a mediocre pro sports team from Missouri?

Geekinout 2 years, 2 months ago

Finally! So glad Coach Self said something... Morons don't even realize that they aren't only disrespecting America, but doing it with a terrible Missouri product thinking it's something cool!!! Also, retarded student body, there is no "wewh" at the end of the Rock Chalk chant.. Learn some tradition!

Joe Joseph 2 years, 2 months ago

If the Chiefs were playing this weekend, or were a perennial contender, I guarantee that this debate would not have nearly the bite that it has.

Just sayin.

kstrebor 2 years, 2 months ago

The whole "Woo", "Chiefs", and "Rip his friggin head off" things are an easy fix. If the person standing next to you does it, punch the piss out of them. Or better yet, rope off the students section and turn the German shepards loose on them. We are dealing with a generation of mouth breathers who got a gold star and a participation ribbon just for showing up. A bunch of unoriginal sheep following the herd. Time to take back the AFH and Memorial Stadium. Also time for HCBS to grab the mic before a game and give those idiots the business.

BalKUrog 2 years, 2 months ago

Rick Pittino's testament to AFH's daunting impact to visiting teams is awesome. I happened to be lucky enough to have season tickets and was at that game. The crowd noise and energy was amazing not only because it was a typical AFH afternoon game but it was KENTUCKY. Teams like that always bring out the best in our savvy fans and make me proud to be a Jayhawk!

Dan Cook 2 years, 2 months ago

I am so glad Coach Self commented on this and encouraged it to stop. I don't know anyone that understands why it is done. Home of the Chiefs has been the only part of the AFH experience I haven't liked ever since it began. We're not the home of the Chiefs and we shouldn't mess with national anthem. I hope Coach's comments will be honored by our students that participate.

I wouldn't have an issue if they yelled Home of the Hawks, since that's what AFH is, but I certainly support not altering any of the words, too.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 2 months ago

Suck it Coach. You Oklahomans don't understand.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Ok .. I've abstained all day on this topic .. but here's the trump card: Coach Self says so, so it must be right. The man is perfect.

Illinoisjayhawk87: This is the first time you have ever disagreed with coach Self. Ever. Nose firmly implanted. You should revert to your guiding principles. Self is perfection.

On the woo, I've never said "woo" my entire life. Ever. I have tried not to even think it. But shouldn't we ask Coach Self?

MimiHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self has let everyone know he doesn't want "Chiefs" shouted at the end of the Anthem... I'm thinking we should not do it anymore, just because he asked. Heaven knows he's earned it.

And for the woooo... if you've never heard the Rock Chalk Chant without the wooo, then you have never really heard the Rock Chalk Chant. It is H A U N T I N G without the wooo. With the woooo.... no comparison at all.

When Teddy Rosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard... he was not talking about the woooo-chant version. 'just sayin'

Illinoisjayhawk87 2 years, 2 months ago

First of all everyone, including Bill Self, settle the F down!!!! I've been a Chiefs fan as long as I've been a Jayhawk fan (24 years) and I've always said the national anthem ending with home of the Chiefs. It's just a thing, if you think I'm being anti-American or whatever you can... fill in the blank. Who cares if it's not KC, it's still a huge Chiefs town, I know I went to school there, and I love that our fans are doing it. If you're not a Chiefs fan then don't say it. Everyone on this board sounds like an old grumpy jerk off a Fox news board. Settle down people. Go Jayhawks and go Chiefs.

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense for the Chiefs chant at Allen, but everybody does dumb stuff. For example:

Mr. LSU gets drunk enough to pass out in front of a ton of drunk Alabama people, and doesn't have enough friends to take him home or keep track of him. Dumb.

Guy teabags him with a camera rolling, posts it to youtube. Dumb, but epic.

The "sex crimes" super Feds and the state of Louisiana actually spend their time and our money chasing this "heinous" criminal before he can TEABAG AGAIN!!! The dumbest thing yet.

They are acting like they stopped the Dahmer of teabagging. "It took a lot of man hours boys, but the Teabag D-Bag is BEHIND BARS!" (loud cheers)

Seriously, Duke and UNC have been at this for years. You know what the fix is? Don't pass out with a bunch of drunk rivals around. Crazy I know.

/rant off

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe I'm out of place here but does anyone at LJW have some information on Texas and our upcoming game???

I know the preview is sometimes relegated to the morning before the game but if you guys are out of things to write about, maybe that would be a good topic to at least consider???

If nothing else, it will get us off this increasingly idiotic string!!

Mr_misanthropy 2 years, 2 months ago

Well if people can add "under god" to the pledge of allegiance, then adding home of the chiefs to the star spangled banner seems fine to me. Most of you people need to lighten up

manginorh00lz 2 years, 2 months ago

The more I think about this, the more I think this becomes a legitimate question: Why do we even need to play the National Anthem before a basketball game in the first place?

dynamitehawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I've got a solution: "And the home of Jaybate"

davehawkSWK 2 years, 2 months ago

For those individuals who feel that there needs to be a change in the National Anthem, would you please just go to the restroom during this time and breathe deeply of the flatulence to get your high and not put a derogatory connotation to the greatest song in the world or to put a mark against the greatest building in the world, AFH, by substituting the word Chiefs for brave. Please understand that chiefs is plural, brave is singular but does encompass the masses by what those people feel and how they act, such as when the basketball program, players/coaches/administration supported TRob in his agony without looking for any personal compensation by putting themselves out for another; or by putting one's life on the line for all those who live in America, regardless of how those recipients stand politically, to ensure the safety of America, or by our law enforcement standing alone on most days and allow others to take verbal potshots at them personally and to their vocation as a whole. If these individuals were from Mizzou, then I would certainly understand their wanting to change the words to garner some sort of feelings of acceptance, albeit in a limited community. KU students, you are much better than this. There needs to be no changing of the words to inflect humor when playing the National Anthem. Please stand in awe and attention to pay tribute to those men and women who have been in the forefront and to those that are still in the forefront, that gave/give you the right to be a butt! Respect our COUNTRY; respect our NATIONAL ANTHEM; and respect our UNIVERSITY!

Andy Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Gary and Coach Self. It is embarrassing to hear the National Anthem so foolishly altered in Allen Fieldhouse. And I agree with a few other posts - the 'woo' has go to go. It's not part of the Rock Chalk Chant. Whatever happened to 'HIT IT!" The 2nd verse is to be followed by a thunderous 'Hit it!'

archercc 2 years, 2 months ago

Also, on the T-Rob thing. I really hope they put a proper whoopin on Texas as revenge for taking the streak against a team that hadnt slept all night dealing with a personal tragedy.

William Blake 2 years, 2 months ago

"KU’s game against Texas on Saturday (3 p.m., Erwin Center, Austin, Texas) will be played on the one-year anniversary of the death of Thomas Robinson’s mother, Lisa."

About 200 responses in here and not a single post showing compassion for Thomas and what he must be going through at this moment.

Let me be the first Jayhawk fan to offer my sympathy to Thomas for not only what happened one year ago tomorrow, but for the loss Thomas suffers every single day of his life. Lisa would be so proud of her son right now and while Jayhawk fans argue about everything under the sun, Thomas is going about his business because he is a man now and knows what is important to him and his future.

Thomas, I am sorry it took 200 posts to realize what was not said yet. I am as guilty as the rest but I am man enough to correct myself.

I'm sure Lisa has the best seats in AFH and is watching you play every game!

Rock Chalk, Thomas, and God Bless America!

archercc 2 years, 2 months ago

Awesome, I HATED this practice when I lived in KC and had season tix to the Chiefs. Its the anthem, not a song about a football team.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 2 months ago

Veterans fought and died for this country to allow this freedom of speech and allow us to yell "Chiefs"... They died to let us be able to be stupid and yell such "atrocities". I personally say brave, but I don't think it is as disrespectful as people say it is...

Slow news day is right...

KANSTUCKY 2 years, 2 months ago

I attended a Atlanta Braves game or two back in the early 90's and they were "clever" enough to add a "s" too the end of the anthem. Not completely disrespectful but enough that it bothered me a bit at the time. So I would guess that you can blame them for the idea in the first place. Any place you can drown out "GBR" with the Rock Chalk Chant I am all for.

jayhawks8519 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm curious where this "Kansas University" you speak of is located. As a student at the University of Kansas, I try calling things by their correct names.

William Blake 2 years, 2 months ago

When are they going to start singing Rock Chalk and waving wheat at Arrowhead?

Oh... they aren't!

I guess the love only goes one way. At least we have a winning tradition....

manginorh00lz 2 years, 2 months ago

Solution: stop playing the National Anthem altogether.

rwhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I think everyone should yell "Put Your Shoes On" right after the Anthem's 'brave'

danmoore 2 years, 2 months ago

Inserting Chiefs in the anthem along with rip your effing head off on the kickoffs sound like creations of an average 3rd grader. My apologies to any of you who happen to be 8 years old.

wileykufan 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Coach! Glad someone is finally saying something! It's embarrassing!

I invited a friend who had never been to a KU game to the Ohio State game - I was so embarrassed to have to explain what they said. When he asked "why?" I couldn't come up with a good reason - because AFH is Certainly NOT the home of the Chiefs!

Maybe he could address the "Woooo" during the RCJH Chant at the end of games?

tashe2 2 years, 2 months ago

Am I the only one that noticed under the picture at the top it says that the JAYHAWKS lost to K-STATE on January 7th 63-57? That is absolutely not the truth, we beat the hell out of them and will do the same in Allen Fieldhouse west later this month.

Another thing, that is a picture of a women's basketball game!!

Come on Gary, get your stuff together!!

IrishCharlie 2 years, 2 months ago

Just soooooooooo stupid and immature.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

Ill talk about t rob while yall talk about respect. T rob went through tradgy in a span of one month while the average person has more 20 years in between. And he is the front runner of poy year later. If he wins, it will trump any personal records set by anyone in ku b ball history.

bangaranggerg 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank God it's been said. I HATE when the students say Chiefs during the Anthem. Doesn't make any sense at all. Our university has no ties to that Football club, and it's really really stupid. I mean on the list of things that bother me and I wish would change this is crazy high up on the list, like probably unnecessairly high on my list.

gchawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I love the enthusiasm that the students bring to the game, they are definitely a huge part of the great atmosphere, but I agree with Coach concerning this one specific area. I also wish they would quit saying "Overrated" when we defeat a ranked team. Think about it, by saying that are they implying that the other team is overrated because we beat them? If they are, that's actually an insult to our team. I hope that chant discontinues, we're classier than that.

packywacky88 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah Pudding!

I'm getting old, but I seem remember either Larry or Roy taking the mic after a chant was going (possibly sit down Norm or something like that) and telling the AFH crowd that "This is KANSAS, and we don't do that @^*#." I personally liked the sit down Norm chant and I think Norm did also.

Why do we win 7(8) Big XII in a row? We are Kansas. Watch other Big XII teams on the TV, Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, they are all half-full. AFH is something no other team has and it shows in the W column. We should keep our traditions, not something silly from KC. AFH is special to us all because of the tradition.

Everyone wants to be Kansas. I can't blame them.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 2 months ago

To all posters that believe the Chiefs were named after brave Native Americans, here is snippet about the origin of the name:

"Hunt agreed to relocate the franchise to Kansas City on May 22, 1963 and on May 26 the team was renamed the Kansas City Chiefs. Hunt and head coach Hank Stram initially planned on retaining the Texans name, but a fan contest determined the new "Chiefs" name in honor of Mayor Bartle's nickname that he acquired in his professional role as Scout Executive of the St. Joseph and Kansas City Boy Scout Councils and founder of the Scouting Society. A total of 4,866 entries were received with 1,020 different names being suggested, including a total of 42 entrants who selected "Chiefs." The two names that received the most popular votes were "Mules" and "Royals.""

So, when "home of the Chiefs" is used at the end of the National Anthem, it is really honoring the former Mayor of Kansas City, Missouri. Very uncool...

Of course, most knowledgeable Chiefs fans already knew this fact, It is the younger, less informed ones that believe the names honors Native Americans...of course, they also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and that the Chiefs will win a Superbowl any time soon.

BigJay81 2 years, 2 months ago

Who cares, you ask? What's the big deal? Let me tell you, IT IS A BIG DEAL. It's a big enough deal that our men's basketball coach commented on it weeks ago and again on Thursday. It's a big deal to everyone who finds it OFFENSIVE AND STUPID. It's a big deal to anyone who cares about KU - NOT THE CHIEFS. It's a big deal to everyone who posted their objection to it.

Stop being so disrespectful and selfish and realize IT IS A BIG DEAL TO A LOT OF US!

William Blake 2 years, 2 months ago

Uh... 55 points, but who is counting, right?

KU basketball is largely about tradition... so we can't show some respect for tradition when it comes to our national anthem? Does KU basketball tradition exist without the tradition of our country existing?

It is strange to me to see these two traditions treated differently.

Rock Chiefs! (our new slogan)

bmoc4213 2 years, 2 months ago

The student section most definitely is not like anything it used to be. Students have less wit, less respect, and have by far less unity. I am thankful that we continue to have the best home court advantage. Allen Fieldhouse should be a national/world monument. I applaud all the efforts of the student section to bring it to what it is today, but this is somewhat shameful.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Yell "Chiefs" Do the WOO Chant "Overrated" Rush the court if we beat Mizzou, and Texas, and Texas Tech, and Emporia State. Demolish AFH and replace it with a a boring, round place called Burger King Arena. Play "Who Let the Dog's Out" everytime the team runs onto the court. Watch as KSU wins a Big 12 Conference Championship in MBB. Mail the Statue of Coach Phog Allen to Massachusetts. Lose a bunch of games in Burger King Arena every season.

There, now you have just killed off every tradition that makes KU Basketball awesome.

sleepy33 2 years, 2 months ago

I, for one, think we should just be proud that we have a head coach intelligent enough to know that Francis Scott Key wrote the words to the Star-Spangled Banner.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Totally new string:

For some reason, Missouri doesn't scare me at all and I think we can sweep them. Please forgive me, but for the greater good [another Kansas League Title] I may be inclined to cheer for Missouri to hand Baylor another loss.

I know, I know...this goes beyond sacrilege, but I still feel Baylor is the team to beat and the more losses they have, the better.

Feel free to rip me a new one!!

PS Of course, if Missouri loses, I'll still toast their defeat with a celebratory glass of wine as is our tradition!!!

joeloveshawks 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Slow news day I guess. How and why is this a full article?

danno1313 2 years, 3 months ago

If you happen to be a CHEFS fan you have enough problems! The tradition of mediocrity continues.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Honestly, the last thing I care about when I'm watching KU basketball is whether or not the national anthem is sung correctly. No disrespect to anyone. I just don't really "get it" when it comes to singing the national anthem before every game...all the time...in every sport. It's a cool song and all, but seriously.

tom123kufan 2 years, 3 months ago

All i can say is Texas better strap them up tomorrow. An emotional charged KU squad is coming to town looking for some revenge from last year. Texas played the role of kicking a team when they were down, not that they didn't deserve to win the game, but i'm sure it left a bad taste in the mouths of our kids. Look for a physical game tomorrow. Is that Crimson or is that Blood!

quigley 2 years, 3 months ago

While were at it can we also get rid of the "You let the whole team down" stupid chant? I think they have been doing this for about 5 years. So embarrassing that we can't come up with something better than that. That is like a 5th grade level I would guess.

Yolanda Gay 2 years, 3 months ago

HCBS said before we played and destroyed North Carolina in the NCAA final four that KU was a place with tradition. Tradtionally, I don't remember 'whoos' in the Rock Chalk Chant. I also don't recall 'Home of the Chiefs' tradtionally in the National Anthem.

The Anthem is the Anthem of our Nation - the United States of America. As such, when singing or if being played - this song should not be altered and respected! I'm sure there are those at the game who are military veterans. I wonder how they feel hearing 'chiefs' instead of brave.

The Rock Chalk Chant is KU's 'anthem'. What is wrong with keeping with tradition and singing it the way it originally was?

Pretty soon, KU will have no traditions and will become like any other college school.

Steve Kubler 2 years, 3 months ago

Not to change the subject.... well actually TO change the subject. Doing a press conference shortly after a root canal shows a bit of grit. I'd expect to bite my tongue and bleed or drool all over myself if I tried talking that much with a mouth full of Novocaine.

I'm glad HCBS is keeping TRob out of the spotlight this week. There are too many media people (and others) that would want to question him in detail about the happenings of a year ago. One more reason to be glad Self is the man in charge.

Love Pitino's quote on the Fieldhouse being the most “overpowering” arena in the country. I am sure getting smoked by 50 points does add to that feeling. I loved watching that one, which I had it on tape so I could watch it again!

How about nominating Releford for president? I think someone that does the "little" things would be a huge improvement. Ok, he's on another thread but until I get my coffee I'm too lazy to switch over.

RCJH, NO WOOO (caps, hopefully)

Oh, and for any students reading this, the Chiefs play football, sort of. Learn the difference in teams. You are in college now, it can't be that difficult.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Let me propose an unbiased, unprejudiced, fair solution:

1] For all great Kansas Jayhawk fans and truly loyal Americans who love their country and respect those that have served and especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend it, please sing "brave".

2] For all you self-centered, living in the past, irrelevant Kansas City Chiefs fans who place self-gratification above patriotism and loyalty, while maintaining delusions of grandeur, at that point in the song, run out into the parking lot and yell "Chiefs"....and stay there.

Posted for humor only with no malice whats so ever.....unless you happen to be a Chiefs fan who prefers to dishonor our country.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 3 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse is NOT the home of the Chiefs! It is, however, consistently the home of the best college basketball experience and team in the country. I used to camp out for games when I was a student and I don't ever remember yelling home of the Chiefs. Why would I?

1. There is more tradition with KU basketball than the Chiefs will ever have.
  2. Allen is in Lawrence, KS. The Chiefs are in Kansas City, MO.
  3. It is disrespectful to our service men and women as well as the country in general.
  4. It makes absolutely NO sense.

I think people should yell "Home of the Brave!" at the end, but if they absolutely must yell something, why not "Home of the Jayhawks!?"

PS--Get rid of the damn Wooo! We're not a bunch of pre-pubescent girls at a sleepover looking at pullout pictures of Justin Beiber in Teen Magazine. Or are we...?

Ray March 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad Self said something about this. Maybe it will stop now. I have hated this since I was a freshman at KU.

I don't care about it being disrespectful to our anthem or anything. I don't think that's the case. It sounds cool in Arrowhead Stadium. I just hate that in AFH people are saying it's the home of "The Chiefs". AFH isn't the home of the Chiefs.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 3 months ago

Ok, I agree the words should not be changed. But what I do disagree with is everyone saying this is disrespectful to the military. I am for the military as much as anyone, but they do not own the national anthem. The national anthem is just that, national, it is there to honor our country as a whole. It is VERY disrespectful to the country, but not specifically the miltary.

DocBean 2 years, 3 months ago

I am in full support of yelling "Home of the Chiefs" .... at a Chiefs game in Arrowhead Stadium.

It doesn't fit in Allen, and anyone that thinks KU Basketball should take a back seat to ANY NFL team or game, including the Superbowl, is WRONG!

rwhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

A bit of irony: It seems to me that "Chiefs" is quite American. Had it not been for the Native Americans, the Pilgrims would not have survived.

I've never thought it was disrespectful to country to hear Arrowhead yell 'Chiefs!' But I have thought it was just really stupid in Allen Fieldhouse.

As far as the woo, several years ago I'd have been all over the "stop the woo" campaign. However, the woo is what sold my children on the chant, so it has officially taken root in my heart. tear

Roooock Chaaalk Jaaayhawk, KKKKUUUU, WOOOOOO!

Joe Joseph 2 years, 3 months ago

Chanting "Chiefs" at the end of the national anthem is about as big a deal as chanting "Rip is f***ing head off" on kick offs.

Honestly, no one should care.

rxjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand there are a lot of Chiefs fans in this area, I am one of them. But seriously, if you don't care about being disrespectful to the anthem or country or military or whatever, that is your call. But look at it this way, you are disrespecting Allen Fieldhouse and Bill Self because he finds that offensive. And Allen Fieldhouse is home to one team only, the Jayhawks.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 3 months ago

Been away too long..haven't heard the 'Chiefs' version, don't understand why at KU. Does the U of Missouri also use the altered version?

Why does the caption on the photo say:

"Many fans turned out to watch Kansas’ game against Kansas State on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks fell to the Wildcats, 63-57."?

And what dose that photo have to do w/the story?

Terran Woolley 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you AGAIN for addressing this HCBS. WHY we, the Kansas Jayhawks, a team with great WINNING tradition would want to associate ourselves with a LOSING MISSOURI team is beyond me. This is equivalent to buying a new Ferrari, and wanting to alter the body to look more like an AMC Gremlin.

Stop trying to be cute KU students. It is just stupid.

RCJHKU!

THEETG 2 years, 3 months ago

Set aside the issues with it being the national anthem (I think the university makes a mistake when using this while trying to reason with students). This is Allen Fieldhouse, the most respected college basketball arena in the world. Its the home of the Jayhawks. Since Bill Self arrived, KU basketball is 252-49. The Chiefs are 57-71 during that time. Why would you disrespect the players, coaches and history of the school by yelling the name of a mediocre, at best, football team FROM MISSOURI? Don't we pride ourselves on our traditions and basketball IQ? This isn't K-State or Mizzou, we don't pump up Jock Jams during the games, we don't invent traditions like the Power Towel, we don't pack our jort pockets full of meth before every game. We are the Kansas Effing Jayhawks, we invented basketball. We are 100x better than the Chiefs.

Stop yelling it at football games as well. Our coaching staff has 7 times as many Super Bowl wins as the Chiefs. If you want to yell Chiefs that bad, go to a Chiefs game.

oldrocker 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't know why you would want to sing "home of the Chiefs" in AFH, but then, we are talking about college kids. They are not doing it for any reason other than to be funny.

When I was at KU (late 70's) we used to sing, "O're the land of Lloyd Free, (an NBA basketball player at that time) and the home of the Braves (baseball team)". We weren't trying to be disrespectful, we just thought it was funny.

Keith Richards 2 years, 3 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse is not the home of the Chiefs, so why even say it? In fact they are completely opposite. Allen sells out consistently, fields an amazing team that is always near the top of the rankings. Meanwhile arrowhead looks half empty most of the season and hasn't competed in years.

slantrox 2 years, 3 months ago

Yesterday so many of you were upset that KU looked bad by not giving Brock Burgland his release.......and now I can't believe there is even debate over whether to sing the National Anthem correctly or at all?

It really saddens me about those at/from my alma matter when I read that we have fans that not only would think like this (being intentionally disrespectful of our anthem and veterans that gave their lives so they can act like a$ses), but write about it.

Be proud of your country with all it's warts or stay home! Just like most of you fair weather fans do for KU football.

Dave Coen 2 years, 3 months ago

This is another reason Coach Self is the greatest coach in America. I would like to cheer for the Chiefs, but I refuse to do so as long as Chiefs fans are disrepectful of our national anthem in Kansas City or Lawrence. In addition, any mention of the Chiefs at a Jayhawk game cheapens our great Jayhawk traditions.

JayViking 2 years, 3 months ago

Editors: Please fix the caption. Date of game is not correct.

RockChalk26 2 years, 3 months ago

Huh? And all this time I thought the Chiefs played in Arrowhead not AFH.

Cody Stumma 2 years, 3 months ago

Now if they can just stop it during the KU football games as well...

RockCaCO3 2 years, 3 months ago

1. Allen is not the home of the Chiefs.
  2. The Chiefs suck.
  3. STOP THE WOO!

RCJHGKU!

jhkprd 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's the solution. Allen is the home of the Jayhawks, and the Jayhawks are certainly brave. So beginning next home game, everyone yell at the top of their lungs, "...home of the JAYHAWKS!" What could be more appropriate?????

Robert Brock 2 years, 3 months ago

I think that the students should be able to insert the "Home of the Chiefs" line once the Kansas City Chiefs have won a Super Bowl. That limitation should keep it out for at least another 50 years.

hawkster007 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Coach Self, keep the national anthem words original.

As for the preoccupation with removing the "whoo", I don't get it and who really cares but a few snobs. Its NOT the national anthem after all!

This must be the same people that get all bent out of shape when the LJW writers refer to Kansas University and not the University of Kansas. Well if you want to use the University of Kansas, then it would only be proper to use the related acronym "U of K" (KU would clearly not be the proper acronym for University of Kansas) - - so you can't have it both ways.

Let the kids have some fun with the whoo. And if you only believe in preserving strict traditions that never change, then lets bring back peach baskets and Naismith's original 13 rules to basketball - - sometimes change is good and there is no real harm.

Fletcher Anderson 2 years, 3 months ago

How many wins has Self provided for KU fans to enjoy at the field house? Enough to make it #1 in all of basketball. If his one request is fans stop saying Chiefs at the end of the national anthem, then we should honor his request.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Arrowhead Stadium is the Home of the Chiefs.

Arrowhead Stadium is in Missouri.

We are obviously being infiltrated by communist hillbilly forces that are trying to make Kansas, Lawrence, Allen Fieldhouse and the Jayhawks look stupid and Un-American.

It is working. It must be stopped immediately.

Make everyone entering Allen Fieldhouse take an IQ test. Leave the dumb ones out in the cold and we won't have any more problems.

OR - maybe they're saying "home of the CHEESE" ?

Janet Scott 2 years, 3 months ago

I fully agree with Coach Self.

KJD 2 years, 3 months ago

I graduated from KU in 1994 and went to many games at Allen Field House. I went there to watch the Jayhawk's play basketball. I didn't go there to celebrate my national identity or honor military veterans. The only thing that was on my agenda was Kansas Basketball.

I get it that people are really into their identity as an "American". When I go to the Fieldhouse the only identity that I'm aware of is that I'm a Kansan and I love Kansas basketball. I love it.

I also appreciate that Bill Self honor's veterans. If the coach has a pride for his country, that's great. He obviously isn't alone in his feelings for the USA and there are plenty of military people in my family so I understand the intensity behind it. I don't agree with the intensity on this particular issue nor do I share the passion over the song. The USA is a good place, it has it's fair share of problems too, though I'm not going to make the singing of the national anthem a sacred act. It isn't sacred.

The Fieldhouse is a place for fun, not politics.

BrockIII 2 years, 3 months ago

Gentlemen, this is a hot button topic that has been brought up numerous times for MONTHS on KU message boards, as well as Facebook and Twitter. Fans have been eager for Self to address this. It may seem trivial, but it is clearly unpatriotic and frankly, it makes the fan base appear plain ignorant. Leave the Chiefs traditions at Arrowhead. There's no place for it in Allen.

jayhawktownie 2 years, 3 months ago

Gary, you're a smart guy. This isn't that hard to figure out. A huge portion (majority?) of KU students grow up in the KC metro area. In the KC metro area, the Chiefs are the #1 sporting attraction. If you go to a game at Arrowhead, the yelling of "Chiefs" at the end of the anthem is a really cool/exciting moment. It is not surprising/shocking/inexplicable (your word) at all to see it stick with fans and bleed into other venues. Plus, they are 18, they think they are being clever. Get over it. Every time one of the LJ World writers whines about this or inappropriate chants at football games they just come across as out of touch and curmudgeony. Please write/tweet about something more interesting.

Ryan Lee 2 years, 3 months ago

Letter to Coach Self, Come back to Colorado! Please coach get w/ Zhenger and schedule a game against a Colorado University every year going forward. Since you don’t come to Boulder anymore I am getting Hawk Withdrawal…or as I call it… the Runs. I yelled at my neighbor yesterday and kicked a dog that looked at me wrong. My family is worried b/c I just roam the neighborhood decked in my Hawk Hoodie w/ my face painted in camo, dribbling a basketball and trying to juke and shake strangers on the street. Yesterday I tried to “check ball” to the mailman and got my a$$ kicked. I’m not allowed in the local grocery store anymore b/c I keep trying to box out people in the meat department and only buy items off the top shelf so I can rebound my dry goods. Please coach please. We have DU, CSU, CU, UNC, Air Force and Wyoming not so far away. Plus I know all the Western Kansas folk love the trip to Colorado. Oh please Coach Self. Won’t you help a pathetic man who loses 2 pints of Crimson and Blue blood daily to “The Runs”? My neighbor went to Missouri and he got a restraining order b/c I crapped in his mailbox. Do you know how hard it is to get a friend to get on his knees to balance you above him all while trying to get enough PSI to make it in the box???!!! For the love of God Coach, please oh please help me. Bohn went to KU…call him. Work this out! My friends won’t return my calls and my girl left me…I was sobbing in the driveway w/ no pants and a Pierce jersey. I need help…

jcw3691 2 years, 3 months ago

If you're a Chiefs fan, you're honoring your country. Go Chiefs. Go KU. Go America.

bocktar 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you for taking issue with the anthem issue, coach! Yelling "Chiefs" does demonstrate a lack of respect. Hopefully they'll listen to you and finally end it.

If it and the "whoo" can go away for good on the same day, all the better!