Originally published April 23, 2012 at 02:24p.m., updated April 23, 2012 at 03:02p.m.

Two KU football players face charges after weekend fight at The Hawk; both players dismissed from team

Two Kansas University football players are accused of getting into a fight with employees at the The Hawk, 1340 Ohio, and running from officers early Saturday, a Lawrence police spokesman said.

Linebacker Gregory Collin Garrett, 19, who would have been a sophomore next season, and red-shirt freshman defensive back Chris Robinson, 20, were dismissed from the team Monday, Coach Charlie Weis said in a statement, for a violation of team rules.

Both Garrett and Robinson were given notices to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court on charges of battery and interference with duties of an officer.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said bar employees asked Garrett to stop smoking inside, but an altercation began. Garrett was accused of pushing one employee in the face, and both Garrett and a bar employee received facial injuries during that exchange, McKinley said.

Garrett was ejected from the bar, but outside the front door Garrett and Robinson had another altercation with staff members. When police were called, both Garrett and Robinson had left the area. They were located and briefly ran from police, but officers apprehended them near the 1700 block of Louisiana Street, McKinley said.

Garrett had a laceration on his forehead and was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where an officer later gave him a ticket. Robinson was taken to the Douglas County Jail, where he later posted $200 cash bond and was given notice to appear in court May 8.

Garrett, of Beaumont, Texas, played in six games as a freshman last season. Robinson, of Sanford, Fla, took a red shirt as a freshman.

Comments

John Boyle 1 year, 11 months ago

Am I the only guy here who went to college to get an education and didn't get plastered every weekend? You all act like it is a given that if you go to college you are suppose to drink and party all the time. Well some of us actually studied and became successful in our chosen field. I'm not a prude but I also don't think college should be about drinking and partying. I would like to see a crackdown on all underage drinking in college towns across the country.

Okay, I'm now prepared to be crucified so take your best shots.

Gig 1 year, 12 months ago

Back in the 70's, and prior to the 21 year old minimum drinking age, I lived at Stephenson Hall, which is right next to the Hawk and the Wheel. Those were the days - you could walk to the bar, drink as much as you wanted, and not have to worry about driving home while intoxicated.

Anyway, it's hard to remember any weekend at those bars when some fistfight did not happen around closing time.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 12 months ago

The total lack of discipline by Turner Gill still rearing its ugly head. It is too bad that these kids blew this opportunity. Charlie Weis isn't messing around and he shouldn't. The rest of the team is getting the message. This isn't high school any more kids!

Fred Davis 1 year, 12 months ago

Let met get this straight - James Sims makes a mistake by getting a DUI - and he gets a three-game suspension. Garrett and Robinson make a mistake by running from the police after an altercation at a bar, and get kicked off the team. I'm not sure I understand the rationale for the differing of punishment, and to me, I think that sets a dangerous precedent. As long as you're an offensive contributor, you'll be fine, but if you're working your way up the depth chart - and Garrett figured to be a player in this year's defense, you're off the team.

I like Charlie Weis, and full disclosure, I know Garrett, but these kids made a mistake, and rather than make an example out of them the right way, Weis simply kicked them to the curb. Last I checked, we all made some goofy decisions as 19 and 20-year-olds. I don't condone what these guys did in any way, and unless they'd been consistent problems for Weis, and we don't know if they have, and this was the final straw, then okay, I understand removing them from the team. But if this is the first mishap for these young men, I can't support kicking them off the team. I'm sorry, but a DUI is much worse than running from cops, if that was the offense that got them kicked off the team.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 12 months ago

If they were B-ballers it would have been a different story, innocent student athletes, trying to break up a fight, completely innocent, perhaps CBS gives em a couple extra wind sprints.

Ian Sadler 1 year, 12 months ago

Attention KU Football Players Not Recruited By Coach Weis: We're looking to trim the fat, so reconsider before doing something Stupid, or transfer back to JUCO.

Loomer 1 year, 12 months ago

My guess is these kids could have out ran these cops, had they continued, but maybe they decided not to make a bad situation worse and stopped. Or they heard, stop or I'll shoot? Kids make mistakes lets be sure to crucify them when they do.

minnhawk84 1 year, 12 months ago

So they are off the team and off of scholarship. That doesn't mean they won't be back on the team and back on scholarship at some point in the future, depending on how they react and what they do to earn their way back on. Happens regularly in other programs across the nation.....

Doug Cramer 1 year, 12 months ago

I remember one time at the Hawk I got wasted...and got into a fight outside when it was closing time.

Feel bad for these dudes...I don't excuse their actions...but losing a scholarship to play D-1 football has got to make them feel pretty sick to their stomach.

James Minor 1 year, 12 months ago

CW is building a fast strong team that must be able to out run anyone out of shape. These players smoked, drinked, fought and got caught. KU FB players should get the message that the energy must be on the field and not on 14th street.

tical523 1 year, 12 months ago

Tough one, I think that Collin Garrett was going to be a pretty tough linebacker in the future. But it opens the door for someone else to stand up and become a player.

danmoore 1 year, 12 months ago

How about suspending them until they get their day in court.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 12 months ago

The part of running from the police is what stands out to me. This shows they are not men but mere kids. When the cops tell you to stop you better stop. This is a TOTAL lack of responsibility to society. I would bet Weis would agree with me. He is going to make an example out of these kids who want to be kids.

easyfive 1 year, 12 months ago

If CW was the basketball coach he would have kicked TRob off the team for spitting on that guys face last year at the hawk. CW has no heart for his players, kill kill kill... He was never was young?

bui63 1 year, 12 months ago

Our new team motto should be "Don't F*ck with Chuck!" I'm behind coach 100% for his disciplinary actions.

CWGOKU 1 year, 12 months ago

If this is a first offense, seems harsh

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 12 months ago

And the mommas all whined about Mangino. FFball boys are supposed to be tough. Let's see how tough Weis gets. It is in his advantaged to clean house even if means losing some games.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 12 months ago

Well atleast Robinson will still have an opportunity for tv exposure if he returns to Sanford Fla. Plenty of cameras around there right about now.

Jason Montgomery 1 year, 12 months ago

I thought Turner only recruited good upstanding Christians?? Is Charlie already turning these good kids to drinking and fighting?

John Myers 1 year, 12 months ago

While I hate to see us lose players, I love the swift boot out the door. I still maintain that if you're a college athlete, this stuff no longer falls under the "college kids do dumb things" category. I think it's awesome that Weis is ready and willing to let them be "just college kids doing dumb things" if they so choose.

master16 1 year, 12 months ago

I think punching people and running from the cops is more than enough to get you kicked off the team. But I do think HCCW was quick to axe them in order to make an example out of them to let the rest of the team to 'behave' when they go out to the bars.

Kyle Rohde 1 year, 12 months ago

Love Charlie and the discipline in place with this team. That's what you idiots get for being at the Hawk ;)

jhawkrulz 1 year, 12 months ago

The law has been written. I'm sure there is a plan for returning to the team, but they will have to work that much harder to make it.

The key is for them to take care fo their off the field issues and then Charlie can help them with their on the field issues.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 12 months ago

At first I thought the penalty was a bit severe, but running from the cops will seal the deal for you. That's too bad, I was hoping to see what Garrett could do.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Strangely, the part that most stuck in my craw was the idea of two D-1 athletes smoking. Punching bar workers and running from the cops are both very bad, but they are "in the heat of the moment" decisions. I think we've all been there where we react without thinking and make poor decisions (not excusing it, I think booting them from the team is the right choice, just saying I understand a young kid making a rash, very bad decision).

But smoking? That's a premeditated decision to hurt your body. How can a D-1 athlete in a BCS conference who depends on his need to be as quick and fast as possible in a sport that heavily relies on conditioning and stamina make the choice to smoke tobacco? That just boggles my mind.

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

Personally I wouldn't have booted them immediately, just suspended them until the legal process plays out and then make a final decision after their verdicts came down.

Terran Woolley 1 year, 12 months ago

Hey kids......Derp is GONE. You cannot get away with this shiit anymore. Get your heads straight. Weis WILL hold you accountable, and you must play by the team rules.

Dumbasses.

RCJHKU!

lurkerhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Running from cops. That sealed the deal.

Jason Montgomery 1 year, 12 months ago

Sounds like the building blocks to a winning program. Thugs = Victories

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 12 months ago

Typical Turner recruits. They can't out run a couple of police officers!

tbbucboy21 1 year, 12 months ago

just lost out on experience of lifetime to play for KU. more room for good transfers now

Travis Warner 1 year, 12 months ago

As a man who has made mistakes in his life I feel for these kids. They made a bad decision and it will cost them quite a bit. I'm not excusing their actions at all. I like the new atmosphere & the fact that players are being held accountable, but I don't think we should enjoy players being kicked off of the team as some of these posters seem to.

bville_hawk 1 year, 12 months ago

You gotta like the quick and decisive way that Weis handled this. Apparently there is no "gray area" in his team rules book.

kusportsdotcom 1 year, 12 months ago

don't screw with Charlie. he'll cut you without thinking twice. see ya boys!

Dillon Davis 1 year, 12 months ago

Damn I was lookin forward to see how Collin did this year

april28 1 year, 12 months ago

Cut 'em. Why is a football player smoking? And in a bar at 19-years old? We don't need dipwads like this wearing Kansas uniforms.