Originally published April 23, 2012 at 02:24p.m., updated April 23, 2012 at 03:02p.m.

Two KU football players face charges after weekend fight at The Hawk; both players dismissed from team

Two Kansas University football players are accused of getting into a fight with employees at the The Hawk, 1340 Ohio, and running from officers early Saturday, a Lawrence police spokesman said.

Linebacker Gregory Collin Garrett, 19, who would have been a sophomore next season, and red-shirt freshman defensive back Chris Robinson, 20, were dismissed from the team Monday, Coach Charlie Weis said in a statement, for a violation of team rules.

Both Garrett and Robinson were given notices to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court on charges of battery and interference with duties of an officer.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said bar employees asked Garrett to stop smoking inside, but an altercation began. Garrett was accused of pushing one employee in the face, and both Garrett and a bar employee received facial injuries during that exchange, McKinley said.

Garrett was ejected from the bar, but outside the front door Garrett and Robinson had another altercation with staff members. When police were called, both Garrett and Robinson had left the area. They were located and briefly ran from police, but officers apprehended them near the 1700 block of Louisiana Street, McKinley said.

Garrett had a laceration on his forehead and was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where an officer later gave him a ticket. Robinson was taken to the Douglas County Jail, where he later posted $200 cash bond and was given notice to appear in court May 8.

Garrett, of Beaumont, Texas, played in six games as a freshman last season. Robinson, of Sanford, Fla, took a red shirt as a freshman.

Comments

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

Cut 'em. Why is a football player smoking? And in a bar at 19-years old? We don't need dipwads like this wearing Kansas uniforms.

jayhawkdon 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree April28.

kesmithstl1, if you think anything about what these guys did is right, then you're as screwed up as they are.

Kelly Anderson 2 years, 4 months ago

I almost spit my drink all over my keyboard....lmao

rockchalk_dpu 2 years, 4 months ago

19 year olds in a bar, you clearly have never seen the Hawk. If you are of drinking age, you are too old to be in there.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

In my day it was called O-Street, and if you weren't a freshman, you were too old to be there.......

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

O-Street, not so much anymore...but if you aren't a freshman these days, still too old.

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, I'll include you with the other two dipwads. The Hawk was alive and well when I was in school. I also have a son who is a college freshman, so - even though I'm old as dirt and don't know anything - I actually know a little.

I'll keep it to small words so you can understand: when you are on a foot ball schol ar ship, you must do things a lit le bet ter than kids who are not on schol ar ships.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

haha ok, so it's ok for your kid to be out getting wasted on a weekend but not for these players who are the same age..sounds like a double standard. i get their on scholarship, but you make yourself look like an uppity soccer mom saying your kid shouldn't be held to the same standards.

april28 2 years, 4 months ago

You got it right. It's not okay for players to go out and get wasted on the weekend. They have a made a deal with the athletic department and the university to uphold certain standards.

No double standard. Just a deal. And a deal is a deal.

toots_mom 2 years, 4 months ago

You are so right April! Nineteen year olds do not need to be smoking (nor anyone else for that matter) and do not belong in bars drinking. Maybe the Hawk will check ids a little closer after this?

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

Nobody said anything about drinking. The article said they started fighting because Garrett was told he couldn't smoke inside. The other guy doesn't seem to have even gotten involved until they were outside.

Erin Graham 2 years, 4 months ago

Agreed...but, Do you know how long underage (specifically chicks and athletes) have been allowed into The Hawk?? According to the interwebs, it's been open since 1919 off and on... so my guess is going to be sometime around then. I'm sure they generate tons of revenue, but the place NEEDS to be cracked down on. Hard.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 4 months ago

They are gone...good riddance...let's move on.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

Look, don't give me the "they're 19 speech." The losers are the ones smoking in HS and it doesn't change much in college. Athletes certainly shouldn't be smoking.

Matt Stephan 2 years, 4 months ago

Yea..... Not saying it is a good thing. While I was at KU, more people went to The Hawk under age then were above age. I think almost every football and basketball player went to The Hawk under age. What every football and basketball player didn't do was get into fights with bouncers, that is what I would consider them 'dipwads' for.

Dillon Davis 2 years, 4 months ago

Damn I was lookin forward to see how Collin did this year

KanFan27 2 years, 4 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. When I saw two players were dismissed I was hoping it was not anyone with a lot of talent. I was upset to see Collin go because he has a ton of talent that could have developed in the future. Robinson was raw, but had a lot of speed. I'm disappointed with both of them, but I'm extremely happy Weis cut them immediately. We don't need people like that.

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

You gotta like the quick and decisive way that Weis handled this. Apparently there is no "gray area" in his team rules book.

KU_Dude 2 years, 4 months ago

And yet James Sims is just suspended for his violation of team rules....

Andy Hess 2 years, 4 months ago

James Sims didn't get into a fight at a bar and run from cops. As in life, different team rules have different punishments.

KU_Dude 2 years, 4 months ago

Correct. He just got behind a wheel drunk where he could have killed innocent people.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 4 months ago

Do we know his level of intoxication? And did he kill innocent people? Theoretically, you could kill innocent people any time you get behind the wheel.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 4 months ago

He could have had a blood alcohol level of .0001 for all we know. IN Kansas, it is a zero tolerance policy for minors. Meaning if you are driving and you are a minor, all you have to have is a trace of alcohol and you can be given a DUI. Had a buddy of mine get popped with that back in college. His BAC was only .015. .08 is the legal limit.

ModerateOne 2 years, 4 months ago

Make stuff up all you want. The legal limit for minors is .02. Perhaps your buddy lied to you.

basty 2 years, 4 months ago

You're not correct either, though more correct than the other guy. 8-1567a says its unlawful to drive at over .02 if you're less than 21 but the penalties only provide for administrative suspensions. Even if you are under 21, you can only get CONVICTED of a DUI for driving while above .08 or being unable to safely operate a vehicle because of drugs/alcohol. (see 8-1567)

Cole Hogan 2 years, 4 months ago

That's not true at all. although I'm not saying that this is okay under any circumstances (I'm in highschool), the legal limit for persons under 21 in Kansas is .02, I know this beacuse a friend of mine got hit for blowing a .018 a few weeks back, and although the officer called his parents to come pick him up...that was all he could do because it wasn't illegal. The reason it is .02 is because if by chance u use mouth wash right before u blow, u can mark a reading under .02 so there has to be some level of tolerance to account for that. Of course my buddy had not had mouthwash...

I'm just sayin...

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 4 months ago

Uhh...running from the cops, underage drinking, fighting...where are the gray areas?

Travis Warner 2 years, 4 months ago

As a man who has made mistakes in his life I feel for these kids. They made a bad decision and it will cost them quite a bit. I'm not excusing their actions at all. I like the new atmosphere & the fact that players are being held accountable, but I don't think we should enjoy players being kicked off of the team as some of these posters seem to.

hawk316 2 years, 4 months ago

Well said, Altercations. Your comments reflect grace, compassion and wisdom. Unfortunately, these kinds of incidents continue to occur with our athletes. If only these young men would learn from the mistakes of others and avoid places where trouble often lurks.

Travis Warner 2 years, 4 months ago

I appreciate your kind words.. I agree that it's a bit surprising that we continue to have these athletes that fail to learn from the mistakes of their peers. I just hope that Coach Weis and company bring in students that understand the opportunity before them.

tis4tim 2 years, 4 months ago

Did your past mistakes, by chance, involve some altercation with a shovel? Just wondering. :^)

tbbucboy21 2 years, 4 months ago

just lost out on experience of lifetime to play for KU. more room for good transfers now

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

an experience of a lifetime to play football for KU? basketball? yeah, football? not so much.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey look - a basketball only fan. Aren't they cute?

Not real Jayhawks in any way, shape or form, but cute nonetheless.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

i'm born and raised a jayhawk in every way shape and form, who are you to question that. all I'm saying is playing football for KU is hardly a chance of a lifetime, we were arguably the worst team in D-I football last year.

KansasRedLegger 2 years, 4 months ago

Who are you to question whether playing football for KU is the chance of a lifetime for a kid? Real Jayhawks don't take dumps on the football program, even if we were the worst team in America last year.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

it's simply my opinion...stop saying "Real Jayhawks don't....." i'm as big of supporter if not more than you old man.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Only by using your own definition do you qualify as a "Real Jayhawk." When you pick and choose what you do or don't support, you are neither a jock nor a supporter – probably more like a jock strap sniffer.

CougIsLJW 2 years, 4 months ago

An opportunity is what you make of it. See Orange Bowl, circa 2008...

RockyMountainHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Even though the Hawks haven't been great of late, I would imagine that playing D1 football and traveling the country is a pretty amazing experience. Heck, I even thought Band Camp was a blast...

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 4 months ago

Typical Turner recruits. They can't out run a couple of police officers!

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Good one...dude that was funny...I don't care who ya are.

John Boyle 2 years, 3 months ago

Not so funny if you are a cop (police officer).

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

Wasn't there another recruit last year that failed to outrun an officer as well?

Definitely the best post on here.

97jhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they were confused by the street signs. Probably needed them simplified.

That, along with a lack of condition. Sounds like the chase by the po- po started in the 4th quarter of this dramatic event.

Lance Cheney 2 years, 4 months ago

Dang it, ahperse, you beat me to it!

vd 2 years, 4 months ago

After reading about Pierson being the fastest guy on the team, I guess those Weiss recruits are even slower then the TG recruits.

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like the building blocks to a winning program. Thugs = Victories

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Lern to reed. They were kicked off the team, troll.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

To save other posters wasting their time clicking on this dude's profile, his avatar is supposed to be Coach Self choking in March...

lurkerhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Running from cops. That sealed the deal.

texashawk10 2 years, 4 months ago

Personally I wouldn't have booted them immediately, just suspended them until the legal process plays out and then make a final decision after their verdicts came down.

highway_chile 2 years, 4 months ago

personally, I'll leave it to HCCW to make the decisions since he's the only one with the authority to do so.

Maracas 2 years, 4 months ago

We're on the outside looking in. Hard to say what else might be going on.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

You don't know how many warnings they already had, or exactly what the team rules are. What you wouldn't have done is just about as relevant as your after breakfast dump.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Strangely, the part that most stuck in my craw was the idea of two D-1 athletes smoking. Punching bar workers and running from the cops are both very bad, but they are "in the heat of the moment" decisions. I think we've all been there where we react without thinking and make poor decisions (not excusing it, I think booting them from the team is the right choice, just saying I understand a young kid making a rash, very bad decision).

But smoking? That's a premeditated decision to hurt your body. How can a D-1 athlete in a BCS conference who depends on his need to be as quick and fast as possible in a sport that heavily relies on conditioning and stamina make the choice to smoke tobacco? That just boggles my mind.

KUAlum2000 2 years, 4 months ago

I think if you are surprised about smoking, then you would be much more surprised about other activities ongoing. These are college kids, you know.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Uh, no, dude, I wouldn't. Notice how I put "tobacco" in there? And I never once said the word "surprised." Reread it please.

I'm not at all "surprised." I do, however, think it's "stupid" to smoke cigarettes when you need your body to be in ultimate shape to compete in the sport that is paying your college tuition, and one that with enough hard work could possibly earn you a lot of money. I said it bothered me. Not that I was surprised.

I've got plenty of college stories of my own. One that even includes Paul Pierce and Nick Bradford. Doesn't mean I can't think a football player who smokes cigarettes is an idiot.

My advice to you: pay attention to what someone says first before jumping to some random conclusion about the poster. It'll save you the embarrassment.

kureader 2 years, 4 months ago

To some, it may beem strange to criticize smoking, but not mention drinking. Actually, I agree. It's springtime. Football players party in the spring. Smoking, though, I've never understood. But, it's a bar fight and the scuffle with police that'll get you kicked off the team.

I couldn't help but notice that these were Gill's players. Weis obviously isn't worried about finding players to replace them. He has signed 26 of his own players already, including 15 that have more college playing experience than the two he just booted. I'm guessin' he's glad to have two more scholarships available for next year. I'm looking forward to this week's spring game ... it could be an interesting season.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, as I said I agree with booting them for the fight and running from the cops. That will and should get you kicked off the team. Just pointing out that that was more of a rash bad decision, rather than a conscious, premeditated choice.

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

The story doesn't say anyone besides Garrett was smoking.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Then you may direct that portion of my post to whomever may have actually inhaled the tobacco.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 4 months ago

At first I thought the penalty was a bit severe, but running from the cops will seal the deal for you. That's too bad, I was hoping to see what Garrett could do.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

The law has been written. I'm sure there is a plan for returning to the team, but they will have to work that much harder to make it.

The key is for them to take care fo their off the field issues and then Charlie can help them with their on the field issues.

Kyle Rohde 2 years, 4 months ago

Love Charlie and the discipline in place with this team. That's what you idiots get for being at the Hawk ;)

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm guessing, but maybe you have a more convenient location to practice your own depredations?

master16 2 years, 4 months ago

I think punching people and running from the cops is more than enough to get you kicked off the team. But I do think HCCW was quick to axe them in order to make an example out of them to let the rest of the team to 'behave' when they go out to the bars.

John Myers 2 years, 4 months ago

While I hate to see us lose players, I love the swift boot out the door. I still maintain that if you're a college athlete, this stuff no longer falls under the "college kids do dumb things" category. I think it's awesome that Weis is ready and willing to let them be "just college kids doing dumb things" if they so choose.

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought Turner only recruited good upstanding Christians?? Is Charlie already turning these good kids to drinking and fighting?

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Will my post get removed if I call this moron a moron?

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I took it as sarcasm, but I might be wrong.

Phoghorn 2 years, 4 months ago

Bville, no this guy is just another hater from a rival school...

Jason Montgomery 2 years, 4 months ago

Im glad someone can read sarcasm and doesnt take the football team so seriously. KU class of 00

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 4 months ago

you really spend your time on the KU Sports website when you're clearly a fan of a different school? wow you have no life.

doctorWho 2 years, 4 months ago

Back to the collective with you 7of9.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 4 months ago

Well atleast Robinson will still have an opportunity for tv exposure if he returns to Sanford Fla. Plenty of cameras around there right about now.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 4 months ago

Was it Tait or Newell that explained the difference between discipline and abuse yesterday? MM was not disciplined. He was just abusive to the players and a variety of staff. That's not Coach Weis.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Abusive is not all he was, but it was part of the package.

oldalum 2 years, 4 months ago

We have no way of knowing whether it was a first offense--just the first one they got arrested for. And it's possible that after Sims' problems, Weis may told everyone there would be a "no tolerance" policy in effect.

kujayhox 2 years, 4 months ago

We hardly saw anything on player discipline the last two years. chances are this isnt a first offense

bui63 2 years, 4 months ago

Our new team motto should be "Don't F*ck with Chuck!" I'm behind coach 100% for his disciplinary actions.

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I like that motto. It has a nice ring to it as well as a certain fundamental earthiness that makes it particularly poignant.

easyfive 2 years, 4 months ago

If CW was the basketball coach he would have kicked TRob off the team for spitting on that guys face last year at the hawk. CW has no heart for his players, kill kill kill... He was never was young?

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

You know $#iT about what would have been done. What you do know is that you can get away with slanderous comments if you have a keyboard and an ISP.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 4 months ago

The part of running from the police is what stands out to me. This shows they are not men but mere kids. When the cops tell you to stop you better stop. This is a TOTAL lack of responsibility to society. I would bet Weis would agree with me. He is going to make an example out of these kids who want to be kids.

danmoore 2 years, 4 months ago

How about suspending them until they get their day in court.

OonlyBonly 2 years, 4 months ago

Couple of reasons come to mind: 1) They admitted to Coach that they had indeed done the deed or 2) They were very borderline for staying at KU anyway.....

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

Tough one, I think that Collin Garrett was going to be a pretty tough linebacker in the future. But it opens the door for someone else to stand up and become a player.

James Minor 2 years, 4 months ago

CW is building a fast strong team that must be able to out run anyone out of shape. These players smoked, drinked, fought and got caught. KU FB players should get the message that the energy must be on the field and not on 14th street.

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe the proper form of the word in this case is "dranked". ;)

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Drinked, dranked, drunked. Hmmm... what is the past pluperfect of drink anyhow. All the journalism and English critics we have on this Board and no one stepping up to write this rong?

Doug Cramer 2 years, 4 months ago

I remember one time at the Hawk I got wasted...and got into a fight outside when it was closing time.

Feel bad for these dudes...I don't excuse their actions...but losing a scholarship to play D-1 football has got to make them feel pretty sick to their stomach.

John Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Were you on scholarship at the time, and damned well aware of the team rules?

minnhawk84 2 years, 4 months ago

So they are off the team and off of scholarship. That doesn't mean they won't be back on the team and back on scholarship at some point in the future, depending on how they react and what they do to earn their way back on. Happens regularly in other programs across the nation.....

Loomer 2 years, 4 months ago

My guess is these kids could have out ran these cops, had they continued, but maybe they decided not to make a bad situation worse and stopped. Or they heard, stop or I'll shoot? Kids make mistakes lets be sure to crucify them when they do.

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

I seriously doubt this was a footrace, as it's being imagined here. The police have cars and radios, they don't need to be running after twerps like this. Most likely they were outsmarted and cutoff. At that point you don't here, "Stop or I'll shoot". They tell you to get on the ground instead, and when a cop puts his hand on his holster and tells you to get on the ground, all but the truly hardened criminal does just that.

Did I just give away too much about myself?

Ian Sadler 2 years, 4 months ago

Attention KU Football Players Not Recruited By Coach Weis: We're looking to trim the fat, so reconsider before doing something Stupid, or transfer back to JUCO.

Fred Davis 2 years, 4 months ago

Let met get this straight - James Sims makes a mistake by getting a DUI - and he gets a three-game suspension. Garrett and Robinson make a mistake by running from the police after an altercation at a bar, and get kicked off the team. I'm not sure I understand the rationale for the differing of punishment, and to me, I think that sets a dangerous precedent. As long as you're an offensive contributor, you'll be fine, but if you're working your way up the depth chart - and Garrett figured to be a player in this year's defense, you're off the team.

I like Charlie Weis, and full disclosure, I know Garrett, but these kids made a mistake, and rather than make an example out of them the right way, Weis simply kicked them to the curb. Last I checked, we all made some goofy decisions as 19 and 20-year-olds. I don't condone what these guys did in any way, and unless they'd been consistent problems for Weis, and we don't know if they have, and this was the final straw, then okay, I understand removing them from the team. But if this is the first mishap for these young men, I can't support kicking them off the team. I'm sorry, but a DUI is much worse than running from cops, if that was the offense that got them kicked off the team.

bangaranggerg 2 years, 4 months ago

I think I could get a DUI, I think I've probably been lucky driving buzzed and not getting caught. I can tell you for sure I've never just starting smoking in a bar and trying to fight everyone who approaches me. This story paints them in a much worse light than this just being a small mishap. Ignoring rules, breaking laws and starting fights makes one look like an insubordinate jerk not just someone who makes a mistake or is involved in a mishap. Still, double standards are everywhere, and perhaps these kids will end up contributing at another school at a level where they can get away with their poor behavior, so you can feel better about this. But their opportunity here was squandered in more ways than one.

Micky Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

The total lack of discipline by Turner Gill still rearing its ugly head. It is too bad that these kids blew this opportunity. Charlie Weis isn't messing around and he shouldn't. The rest of the team is getting the message. This isn't high school any more kids!

Gig 2 years, 4 months ago

Back in the 70's, and prior to the 21 year old minimum drinking age, I lived at Stephenson Hall, which is right next to the Hawk and the Wheel. Those were the days - you could walk to the bar, drink as much as you wanted, and not have to worry about driving home while intoxicated.

Anyway, it's hard to remember any weekend at those bars when some fistfight did not happen around closing time.

John Boyle 2 years, 3 months ago

Am I the only guy here who went to college to get an education and didn't get plastered every weekend? You all act like it is a given that if you go to college you are suppose to drink and party all the time. Well some of us actually studied and became successful in our chosen field. I'm not a prude but I also don't think college should be about drinking and partying. I would like to see a crackdown on all underage drinking in college towns across the country.

Okay, I'm now prepared to be crucified so take your best shots.