Sunday, April 8, 2012

KU running back James Sims arrested for operating under the influence

A Kansas University football player was arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence early Sunday morning, according to Jim Marchiony, associate athletic director.

James D. Sims, 20, a junior running back originally from Irving, Texas, who started all 12 football games in his sophomore season, was arrested in the 1300 block of Jayhawk Boulevard shortly after 2:15 a.m. Sunday.

Marchiony said the team will handle discipline for Sims internally.

According to Douglas County Jail records, Sims posted a $500 bond and is scheduled to appear in municipal court on April 25.

Additional details concerning the arrest were not available from the KU Public Safety Office on Sunday.

Comments

Travis Shinkle 2 years, 8 months ago

Lots of Saturdays with Coach Holsopple...

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 8 months ago

Umm, yep!!! And it's not going to be pleasant for Mr. Sims.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 8 months ago

I am a proponent of giving second chances after tough punishments. But one thing has been nagging at me since I read this article yesterday. Berglund was dismissed from the team for missing a manditory meeting. Many others were also dismissed for various reasons. Isn't an OUI worse? On its face it appears Coach Weis would be playing favorites by keeping Sims on the team.

Matt Kenton 2 years, 8 months ago

How do you know he hasn't been to every meeting early, been the hardest worker in workouts and practice, leading by example, then had two beers and didn't use his turn signal?

Unless it comes out that someone got in a wreck or completely ran a red light or stop sign and was over the limit, I am not passing judgement on anyone who gets a DUI.

tbbucboy21 2 years, 8 months ago

how big of an idiot can u be? its amazing how many more athletes get in trouble thn KU students. they r lucky to be representing our university..pathetic how some of them take it for granted...time for Bourbon to take the starting role

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm not saying this to excuse Sim's behavior because it is inexcusable. However, I suspect the percentage of student athletes getting into this kind of trouble is probably no greater than that of the general student population. It's just that when it happens to Joe Blow, there is no news headline proclaiming the arrest.

College students do stupid things sometimes, that's just the way it is. I'm sure Sims will pay dearly for in indiscretions. I'm guessing his punishment under Weis will be much stronger than it would have been under Gill.

John Myers 2 years, 8 months ago

This sort of crap isn't a "kids will be kids" thing, though. These are kids who are given the privilege to represent the university's athletics teams and given full ride scholarships, all of which can be taken away in an instant. That's not the same for Joe Blow.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 8 months ago

But they are still kids. Put down your rocks and get off your soapbox.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 8 months ago

All students represent the University! All students need to think twice about such behavior. If not, they should bear the consequences be it removal of scholarship or expulsion.

burnmu 2 years, 8 months ago

tbbucboy21 you sound jaded and like you we're probably left off ever team you ever wanted to play on. yes, obviously this was stupid and could cost us a win this upcoming season? to honestly think that the ratio of student athletes to students arrests is more, take a math class. it's annoying to see people slamming while assuming, say what you think don't assume. bourbon to take the starting role?... i doubt many college kids drink bourbon, takes a bit of grit for that d bag.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 8 months ago

There are plenty of Saturday mornings between now and the first game. Coach Holsopple will have Mr. Sim's mind right long before we even get to 2-a-days. Maybe it will cost him 1 start, but it's hard to imagine it going much beyond that.

Brady got slammed pretty hard a couple years ago, but that was after Coach Self laid down the 0-tolerance law b/c of all the other shenannigans by the team. Coach Weis could make an example to the team, but starts are so far off to really be effective in this case.

Oh, and DUI is a public problem, not just a kids will be kids, or even college studens will be college students. Just ask Pinkie.

ws10 2 years, 8 months ago

tbbucboy21 You could not be more wrong the athletes just have their mistakes plastered all over by the media. I have a OUI you just didn't hear about mine because I am not an athlete so nobody gives a crap about me getting in trouble. Trust me there are way more regular students getting in trouble than athletes.

Andy Hess 2 years, 8 months ago

I care about you getting in trouble, and I'm very concerned. :-)

Doug Cramer 2 years, 8 months ago

The good thing is...we got a ton of running backs that are just as good or better.

Hurinfan 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone, ever driving drunk is unacceptable. He should be arrested. As should anyone who drives drunk.

minnhawk84 2 years, 8 months ago

Uh, he was arrested, posted bond, going to court. No one gets a pass on a DUI in these times. Walking for awhile will be good for his legs.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 8 months ago

How pissed is sims going to be when HCCW tells him to touch every stair in memorial stadium. Under Gill he would of received a penance of 10 Our Fathers and signed a note promising not to do it again!

Ed Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

I have to first, disagree with you as Gill had the decency to keep discipline internal as Marchiony is saying will happen in this case so you would never have a clue what he would have done. Second, mocking and sarcasm shows pretty poor taste on your part and especially on one of the holiest if not the single holiest day for Christians. Last, Gill interviewed and got the job while you were at the armchair with the remote whining about some other coach. Easy to see faults and trash someone after the fact but until you have been there you certainly aren't qualified to award head coach contracts or evaluate peformance.

just sayin'

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 8 months ago

" Easy to see faults and trash someone after the fact..."

lol!

If only I had been more critical of Turner while he was here...!

vd 2 years, 8 months ago

FACT: He didn't do it under Gill. Maybe he respected the coach and team enough not do it?

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 8 months ago

I got an mip my freshman year at KU. I know athletes are held to a higher standard and I know how that is. I figure one mistake well we all make them, but he needs to learn from this mistake and I hope he does.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I have a friend that works in the athletic dept and he told me they have meetings and mentor sessions weekly about partying and driving. They have a freakin no questions asked policy for calling any coach or aide for a ride. To quote the great Forrest Gump..." Stupid is as Stupid does" Dismiss him from the team.

Cole Hogan 2 years, 8 months ago

Man, harsh much? I am in highschool and i dont drink, but gosh, even i can cut him some slack. I know a lot of people that have gotten MIPs and such, and i know a lot more people will get those and DUIs as i get older, but man, one mistake in his 3rd year at KU and you are gonna release him immediately? That a tad harsh man, obviously hes gonna get some TOUGH discipline from HCCW but dont forget that morningstar got a DUI or something or the sort (i cant recall exactly what) and didnt get kicked off the team, why should our football team be held on a higher pedestal than our basketball team, or vice versa. just sayin, chill out.

Oh, and for all you who are about to comment on my grammar, im sorry i left out a letter or two.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Things have changed in the athletic dept because of Morningstar's DUI. That's why they have all of the mentor's and the Alchohol awareness and zero tolerance policies now. There is a big difference between an MIP and a DUI. Also are all these other people that you know that have recieved these MIP's , recieved scholarships worth $125,000 from the taxpayers of the state of Kansas or us the Alumni base?

Joel Hood 2 years, 8 months ago

No tax dollars fund KUAI scholarships. But, your point is valid that the public in general through revenues paid to KUAI and donations through KUAI pay for his scholarship.

Cole Hogan 2 years, 8 months ago

I am just saying that this is his only blemish on an othwerwise good track record here in his 3rd year at Kansas, Its not like he still has one foot in highschool. I dont think dismissal from the team is the correct solution here, he has always seemed like an intelligent kid to me. and by the way, i pay taxes too.

persevering_gal 2 years, 8 months ago

Sadly, a good friend of mine was recently killed by a young man who was driving under the influence while her husband and 9-month old survived the fatal crash. I only hope Sims can learn from his poor decision and that it really is a big deal. Give up the keys.

Joe Joseph 2 years, 8 months ago

Operating under the influence? This makes it sound like he wasn't driving a car. Rather a lawn tractor or something... is there a difference between oui and dui?!

2 years, 8 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. It may be that he was in the vehicle under the influence, but not driving it at the time. Even though Kansas was not included in the following definition of OUI, it could possibly be what happened:

"Definition: An acronym for operating under the influence, used in only three states, Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The "operating" distinction encompasses more than just driving the vehicle. Even if the vehicle is stopped and not running, someone can be charged with operating under the influence."

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

At least he didn't walk!

Statistically you are more likely to be injured walking drunk. Remember KUSports.com... "Friends don't let friends walk drunk." (Yes I got that from Freakonomics)

John Mueller 2 years, 8 months ago

Hold on, people.

I am sad to read the news because he's a young kid who made a mistake that will cost him dearly, both in economic terms and time spent in court, etc.

And for all that don't drink, good for you, just one problem that you won't ever have to deal with.

But, for all of us that do, there isn't one person on the planet that hasn't made this mistake, just alot of us have been fortunate to never get caught.

It IS a big deal, it cannot be condoned, we have decided as a society that it is unacceptable behavior.

But, the young man made a mistake. We will feel for him and wish him the best as he pays his price.

He is a Jayhawk, we will support him and pray for him and stand by him.

I am really getting tired of the noose that some so easily put on another who has a lapse in judgement.

Try living your life in the newspaper every single day...

Who among us, wouldn't end up with a story in the paper on a monthly basis if not for the most precious gift given to most of us.....anonymity?

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

All was fine what you wrote except your last sentence. That is laughable and an insult to 99.5% of the population.

I haven't ever been listed in the paper and I'd bet money very, very, very, very, very few readers of this article have either.

You should stopped while ahead. LOL

rob4lb 2 years, 8 months ago

While I doubt that Sims would be dismissed from the team, this certainly shows a lack of judgment. He's not a freshman; he's soon to be a junior and presumably a leader on the team. While I disagree with the statement that athletes get in more trouble than the general student body, I do believe that by accepting the scholarship, athletes agree to abide by higher standards than the general student body.

WIth that said, all of this is correctable. If the discipline phase is handled well, Sims will be fine and focused on doing well on the field, in the classroom and in setting an example for other players on the team.

vd 2 years, 8 months ago

Most of the students are probably getting some kind of "scholarship." Close all the bars down.

Jason Keller 2 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if the police officer was picked last at recess.

Goose_88 2 years, 8 months ago

3 game suspension for Sims, more than enough time for the others to show Weis they deserve the starts.