Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kansas basketball signee Naadir Tharpe praised

Brady Morningstar to compete in 3-point shootout

Kansas guard Brady Morningstar pulls up for a three-pointer over Virginia Commonwealth guard Brandon Rozzell during the second half on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Coaches in the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council looked at more than cold, hard stats in selecting Kansas University signee Naadir Tharpe the region’s Class AAA player of the year.

“For somebody to average 14 points a game and still be recognized, I think says a lot about Naadir,” Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith said of the 6-foot, 170-pounder.

He averaged 14.5 points and 6.0 assists a game in leading Brewster of Wolfeboro, N.H., to a 31-3 record and spot in the national prep school semifinals.

“Numerous players averaged 20 points a game. I think people realized the role of point guard is facilitating the offense. There is no other point guard in the country I would rather have running my team than Naadir,” Smith added.

“He makes good decisions. He has elite speed, but what separates him is he understands the game. One trait that really stands out is his basketball IQ. He’s a pure point guard.”

Tharpe, who will play in the East-West All-America game at 3:45 p.m. CDT, Sunday in Houston (it’s available live on ESPN3 on the Internet; replay 8:30 p.m., Sunday, ESPNU), is expected to contribute right away at KU.

“He had a real good year. I think he’ll help us. I think he’ll be in our rotation right off the bat,” KU coach Bill Self said of Rivals.com’s No. 91-rated player.

The caliber of competition in prep school figures to help Tharpe make a quick adjustment to Div. I ball.

“We played against something crazy like 80 Div. I signees this year,” Smith said. “All the stuff the normal freshmen have to get used to ... he’s used to it. Even managing time in college. He’s done it here the last three years. And there’s not going to be the issue of homesickness.”

Tharpe, who is originally from Worcester, Mass., but has played at the New Hampshire school three years, chose KU over Oklahoma, Minnesota and others.

“I would say my defense has improved and my jump shot, definitely,” Tharpe said. “I just know I’ll do whatever it takes for my team to be happy. I’ve always been a pass-first guy.”

Tharpe followed KU’s fortunes closely in the NCAAs, including Sunday’s loss to VCU in the Elite Eight.

“Everything happens for a reason, I guess,” Tharpe said. “Of course, I feel for them. That’s the team I’m playing for next year.”

Tharpe said he was amazed at the performance of KU sophomore forward/former Brewster teammate Thomas Robinson, who experienced the deaths of his mom, grandmother and grandfather this season.

“For something like that to happen to somebody that young of an age that fast and for him to still be playing basketball and doing what he does is amazing,” Tharpe said.

Noted coach Smith: “I am mainly proud of Thomas and how he handled tremendous adversity he had to face this year. He is a strong young man.”

Morris honored

KU junior Marcus Morris was named to the Wooden All-America team announced Wednesday. Others: Jimmer Fredette, BYU; Ben Hansbrough, Notre Dame; JaJuan Johnson, Purdue; Kawhi Leonard, San Diego State; Jacob Pullen, Kansas State; Nolan Smith, Duke; Jared Sullinger, Ohio State; Kemba Walker, UConn; and Derrick Williams, Arizona.

Brady to shoot tonight

KU guard Brady Morningstar will compete in the 23rd annual State Farm College three-point shooting contest, set for 6:30 p.m., today, on the University of Houston campus. It will be shown at 8 p.m. on ESPN2. ... KU’s Tyrel Reed is in Houston as one of the finalists for the Lowe’s Senior Class Award, to be presented Friday. ... Marcus Morris is expected to be in Houston as well for the NABC All-America breakfast.

Comments

Martin Rosenblum 3 years ago

Brady is probably the oldest participant in the 3 point contest history. There should be a Seniors Tour that maybe he could opt in for.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Pretty sure a NBA lockout will happen next season. The owners want to do something about players controlling teams aka LeBron , Wade and the Heat, and the salaries. So I think we will be seeing the Twins and Thomas for another season.

phog 3 years ago

how is poor Gary going to spin Brady's latest brick-city performance?

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years ago

Congrats, Wichita State! Best team in the State.

rtjayhawk 3 years ago

Brady...love you though I do, EPIC FAIL tonight.

Good luck in your future endeavors. I wish you all the best.

JD Roth 3 years ago

Brady couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight.

phog 3 years ago

Pullen lights up brady head to head.

brady boy finishes last in round one.

did I see tears ?

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ku-ish.....

MrPilot 3 years ago

If anyone is watching this thread, Brady is competing in the 3 point championship on ESPN2 right now!

bbhawk234 3 years ago

Can we please take BM picture off from this article. I have had enough having to look at that jumpshot.

jaybate 3 years ago

Nadiir in our rotation his freshman season?

Man, wouldn't that be great!

But Coach Self thought Josh was going to be one of the best players in the conference.

He though EJ would be in the rotation his first season, too.

He thought Travis Releford was going to be an impact player and major contributor this past season.

He thought Mario Little was going to be a big contributor.

He thought Jeff Withey was going to win some games down the stretch.

He thought Thomas Robinson was going to play some his first season.

He didn't think Brady and Tyrel were going to make such huge contributions, when he recruited them.

Recruits and coaches just kind of shine everyone on until the season starts and then the practice and games quickly expose who can get it done and who can't.

Come ready to compete, Nadiir.

We would be a very good team if you can back up Tyshawn, EJ can move to the 2, Royce can back up EJ, and Travis starts at the three with Ben Mac backing up, or vice versa.

Josh would not even be missed.

But if Josh comes back, Travis could be looking at a lot of short 4 PT a la Little this season.

Whatever, the perimeter looks very solid next season if Ben signs, or Josh stays.

cragarhawk 3 years ago

I once heard a story about the 1942 team? Something like, they were undefeated and went to war instead of playing in the NCAA tourney? Was there a tourney then? Is there any truth to this? Somebody older than me or with knowledge on the subject please would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

This season, despite its' many wins, was also one of the most tumultuous in my memory. It actually goes back to the season before with the fight. Some teams can manage to feed off of the bad attitudes, but seemingly KU didn't in the end. I hope some of the people we bring in can help change the national perception about KU that formed this season.

Sally Presson 3 years ago

I would be thrilled if we kept all our guys, losing only the seniors which is a big loss. Just like I wouldn't trade Bill Self for any coach in America, I wouldn't trade our bigs for anyone or TT or EJ or Selby. We've got a great team now, don't want to see any of them leave. And if a recruit can see past their nose, they can see what an opportunity it will be to play with Keif, Marcus, TRob, Josh, TT, EJ and the rest of our guys. They would gain a world of experience in the year we have them at KU. There's just nothing like seniors on your team. Rock Chalk

phog 3 years ago

clank clank clank.....

eway12 3 years ago

It seems very odd to me that Brady is in the 3-point contest. Those contests are built for spot up shooters who don't expend a lot of energy and time with a jump shot. Brady is the opposite of that. I fear he will perform poorly even though he is a very good shooter. Bill usually builds his back court with combo guards so this should be interesting. I personally like the idea since I was always a "pure" point guard, but also because we will continue to have dominant big men as long as Manning is coaching and having a pure point guard may help get the ball into the low post more efficiently. I'm curious to see how Tharpe fits in.

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

Brady participating in a 3-point shooting contest! Thanks, I needed that laugh today. He should bow out on principle alone based on how he shot against VCU.

tdub 3 years ago

Maybe Tharpe will be our Kendall Marshall in 2 years. A smart, fast, pure point guard can transform the performance of a team like no other.

phog 3 years ago

Hope springs eternal in Beaker World, LMAO !!!!!!!

maybe if you had someone to shoot the 3 without choking......

Joe Baker 3 years ago

We needed him against VCU. Watch his defense and how he stays with his man.

They run a similar offense. Lets get this kid on campus and get him in the chemistry of the team early. Can't get him soon enough.

Joe Baker 3 years ago

We are going to like this kid and he has a great attitude.

He's going to do great things at KU.

Welcome Naadir and Rock the Chalk

jayhawkinnebr 3 years ago

We can just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Budweiser Brady, that flop is gone and good ridence of that. I have said all along that 6-pack and Reed were not going to help this team go far and it didn't. We can just hope that Self will recruit some good players and not the ones of the two just mensioned above.

William Blake 3 years ago

I've heard quite a bit about Naadir's ability to pass and his basketball IQ is high...

But can he drive the paint?

Over recent years college basketball has proven you need a PG who can do more than assist. Ability to penetrate is crucial.

If anyone knows more, please post it!

eagle64 3 years ago

the 3 point contest should be a real hoot to watch, ROCK CHALK !!

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

I am definitely ready to move on and think about next season. Tharpe was a good sign. I am a huge fan of pure point guards like Aaron Miles (I've seen many people drawing similarities between Miles and Tharpe). I think KU will also land McLemore and Daniels (especially if the twins go pro). We should be in good shape for guards with TT, EJ, Tharpe, Selby (maybe), Royce, Releford, McLemore and Teahen.

Bill Self's comments have made it pretty clear that he thinks TRob should stay. That would be huge for KU. If he stays, we'll (more than likely) have TRob, Daniels, Withey and probably another big (Simpson or Anderson). We won't be really deep at the forward/center positions, but successful teams in college basketball (especially in the tournament) seem to always have really great guard play. Look at what happened to KU this year - we got lit up at the three point line by VCU's guards, while our guards underwhelmed (to say the least). We need some players that can step up and drain 3's all day long as well as play spectacular defense (I think Selby, EJ, and Royce could really help in this aspect). Tyrel and Brady were great, but they were great more because of their consistency on both ends of the court rather than their lights out shooting.

3 years ago

Hilarious! After a four-year hiatus, our favorite troll “phog” was back for a brief (10 minutes?) shining moment with his typical drivel posted, and has already been KO’d.

Good job, Jesse.

bradynsdad 3 years ago

My concern is if Marc and kieff stay then Daniels won't sign. Plus you don't need that many bigs on one team, I think vcu, butler, and uconn have proven that. With tyshaun, Elijah, Josh, Royce, and Travis coming back plus signing tharpe and probably mclmore we will be guard heavy. If our guards coming back put in time on their outside shooting then we can be a serious threat to drive and shoot next year. I love Brady and tyrell but we all knew they couldn't really drive the ball. BTW did anyone read espn's article on uconn becoming a "blueblood"? When talking about Kansas in parenthesis it said "p.s. How does Kansas have only three national titles?" I wish they would count the two previous to the NCAA coming about.

phog 3 years ago

sounds like Big East was his real goal...

By Kevin McNamara Journal Sports Writer

PROVIDENCE -- Naadir Thapre, a 6-1 point guard who plays at Brewster (N.H.) Academy has verbally committed to Providence College Wednesday night, according to his coach.

Jason Smith said that Tharpe picked PC over Boston College.

"Naadir wanted to play in the Big East and the proximity to his home in Worcester excited him," said Smith.

REHawk 3 years ago

If IMG Academy a prep school, he is not eligible.

sloppyscience 3 years ago

Anyone know why, if DD is the #9 rated player on rivals, he didn't make the McDonald's roster?

TraditionRich 3 years ago

Funny to think with how we went out that we would send a guy to the 3 point shootout

Martin Rosenblum 3 years ago

Two more of our guys in Houston and we could get a little pick-up game going. I would add Markieff and TRob and would challenge any other team not in the FFour. Then we would see who is the best team!

I wonder who else is going to be in the 3 point contest with Brady?

REHawk 3 years ago

Need to find a couple of bigs who are committed to developing their bodies and game for the long haul, at least 3 seasons. If the twins depart, I could see Self bringing in one seasoned jr. cllg. veteran for next season. If we should suddenly sport openings for immediate playing time, it would be no surprise to find decommits showing up on our radar, just as did the Morii 3 years ago. I like what I have read about Naadir Tharpe. Shades of Aaron Miles coming aboard to free and feed Hinrich for scoring success. One thing we have seen in the midmajor squads which have given the Jayhawks fits: often they are senior laden teams that have played together without distractions of one and done injections disrupting the mix. Unfortunately, the Selby project got in the way of progress of EJ and Travis this season. Just as X and brother affected Little and Releford last year. In the grand scheme of Jayhawk basketball, I would grade the pair of Selby and Xavier no higher than C+/B- for their combined impact on the program. Might possibly have been stronger, more seasoned endofseason teams without their minutes, even if we had produced an extra 2 or 3 losses enroute to the NCAA Tournament. Good kids both, but freshmen aren't the best fits for Bill Self basketball and fan attachment and admiration. Gotta hope that TRob returns!

delo 3 years ago

Why does everyone think we need to sign this kid, mclemore and another guard? This team is guard heavy next year: selby, johnson, taylor plus signees. If the Morris twins leave for the NBA were in trouble in the bigs department for depth with only (possibly) Robinson, then Withey having any experience.

Ashwin Rao 3 years ago

I agree with Funhawk. We really lacked a pure point guard the last two years (in my opinion, of course!), and that hurt us in the long run. TT & SC are great players, but I think that they are off-guards in college (NBA, anything goes!). Having a pure point guard would help us run our offense much better.

Funhawk 3 years ago

The piece on Naadir Tharpe was timely. Jayhawk fans look for optimism after the season ends. Naadir will fit in well. Thanks for telling us more about an incoming freshman, Gary.

murph 3 years ago

C'mon, LJW - you severely shortchanged Brady, Tyrel and Marcus with this piece. The headlines are all about somebody who hasn't set foot here yet - hence, not paid any dues. It's fine to have a story about him, and to give him a nice headline.

BUT to just cram the accomplishments of three of our own into afterthought paragraphs in the same piece is really tacky. Yes, you had a story about Marcus making the All-American team. I think I remember one about Tyrel and the Lowe's Senior Class Award, too. But this is the first mention of Brady and the 3-point contest. Couldn't you at least have done something of a group story about the three of them being in Houston for these special things? You know - a separate thing with it's very own headine?? "Jayhawks Will Be Honored in Houston"??

Being named an All-American is certainly a big honor. So is being nominated for the Lowe's award and even being chosen to compete in the 3-point shootout.

These three upperclassmen deserved better from you. If that doesn't mean anything to anyone, I'd like to also point out it's shoddy journalism. You don't lump stories with completely different themes in one same piece. "Oh, look - we're getting a good 'un" shouldn't upstage "Guys from our team are getting special attention - for their accomplishments AS JAYHAWKS."

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years ago

It's good we have a probable 4 year guy coming in next year in Naadir Tharpe. He seems like a very stable guy...both mentally and physically...that can lead.

We really need to land B-Mac and DeAndre Daniels. Hopefully we can pull in another guard as well.