Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kansas basketball signee Naadir Tharpe praised

Brady Morningstar to compete in 3-point shootout

Kansas guard Brady Morningstar pulls up for a three-pointer over Virginia Commonwealth guard Brandon Rozzell during the second half on Sunday, March 27, 2011 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Coaches in the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council looked at more than cold, hard stats in selecting Kansas University signee Naadir Tharpe the region’s Class AAA player of the year.

“For somebody to average 14 points a game and still be recognized, I think says a lot about Naadir,” Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith said of the 6-foot, 170-pounder.

He averaged 14.5 points and 6.0 assists a game in leading Brewster of Wolfeboro, N.H., to a 31-3 record and spot in the national prep school semifinals.

“Numerous players averaged 20 points a game. I think people realized the role of point guard is facilitating the offense. There is no other point guard in the country I would rather have running my team than Naadir,” Smith added.

“He makes good decisions. He has elite speed, but what separates him is he understands the game. One trait that really stands out is his basketball IQ. He’s a pure point guard.”

Tharpe, who will play in the East-West All-America game at 3:45 p.m. CDT, Sunday in Houston (it’s available live on ESPN3 on the Internet; replay 8:30 p.m., Sunday, ESPNU), is expected to contribute right away at KU.

“He had a real good year. I think he’ll help us. I think he’ll be in our rotation right off the bat,” KU coach Bill Self said of Rivals.com’s No. 91-rated player.

The caliber of competition in prep school figures to help Tharpe make a quick adjustment to Div. I ball.

“We played against something crazy like 80 Div. I signees this year,” Smith said. “All the stuff the normal freshmen have to get used to ... he’s used to it. Even managing time in college. He’s done it here the last three years. And there’s not going to be the issue of homesickness.”

Tharpe, who is originally from Worcester, Mass., but has played at the New Hampshire school three years, chose KU over Oklahoma, Minnesota and others.

“I would say my defense has improved and my jump shot, definitely,” Tharpe said. “I just know I’ll do whatever it takes for my team to be happy. I’ve always been a pass-first guy.”

Tharpe followed KU’s fortunes closely in the NCAAs, including Sunday’s loss to VCU in the Elite Eight.

“Everything happens for a reason, I guess,” Tharpe said. “Of course, I feel for them. That’s the team I’m playing for next year.”

Tharpe said he was amazed at the performance of KU sophomore forward/former Brewster teammate Thomas Robinson, who experienced the deaths of his mom, grandmother and grandfather this season.

“For something like that to happen to somebody that young of an age that fast and for him to still be playing basketball and doing what he does is amazing,” Tharpe said.

Noted coach Smith: “I am mainly proud of Thomas and how he handled tremendous adversity he had to face this year. He is a strong young man.”

Morris honored

KU junior Marcus Morris was named to the Wooden All-America team announced Wednesday. Others: Jimmer Fredette, BYU; Ben Hansbrough, Notre Dame; JaJuan Johnson, Purdue; Kawhi Leonard, San Diego State; Jacob Pullen, Kansas State; Nolan Smith, Duke; Jared Sullinger, Ohio State; Kemba Walker, UConn; and Derrick Williams, Arizona.

Brady to shoot tonight

KU guard Brady Morningstar will compete in the 23rd annual State Farm College three-point shooting contest, set for 6:30 p.m., today, on the University of Houston campus. It will be shown at 8 p.m. on ESPN2. ... KU’s Tyrel Reed is in Houston as one of the finalists for the Lowe’s Senior Class Award, to be presented Friday. ... Marcus Morris is expected to be in Houston as well for the NABC All-America breakfast.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 4 months ago

It's good we have a probable 4 year guy coming in next year in Naadir Tharpe. He seems like a very stable guy...both mentally and physically...that can lead.

We really need to land B-Mac and DeAndre Daniels. Hopefully we can pull in another guard as well.

denverjhwk720 3 years, 4 months ago

He said 4-year guy. I made the same mistake too and had to re-read it; I was thinking, "The article was about his point-guard skills.....so he is definitely not a 4.."

SaulGood 3 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Seems like Tharpe will have a good head on his shoulders. Now I have some basketball to look forward to on Sunday!

+1 to B-Mac and DeAndre as well...(bated breath)

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

Agree with 2000. Good news for the Jayhawks. Gotta check out the game on Sunday. Rock Chalk!

Ed Brown 3 years, 4 months ago

With all the hype and fanfare of B-Mac for so many months is he really a potential Jayhawk or is he another LeBron wannabe? Maybe he won't announce after the McDonalds All American game and have an ESPN special. :) It will be very nice to have a TRUE point guard with Tharpe.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

I think our back court looks good already for next year. We need some bigs who can fill BIG shoes like TRob and the twins.

murph 3 years, 4 months ago

C'mon, LJW - you severely shortchanged Brady, Tyrel and Marcus with this piece. The headlines are all about somebody who hasn't set foot here yet - hence, not paid any dues. It's fine to have a story about him, and to give him a nice headline.

BUT to just cram the accomplishments of three of our own into afterthought paragraphs in the same piece is really tacky. Yes, you had a story about Marcus making the All-American team. I think I remember one about Tyrel and the Lowe's Senior Class Award, too. But this is the first mention of Brady and the 3-point contest. Couldn't you at least have done something of a group story about the three of them being in Houston for these special things? You know - a separate thing with it's very own headine?? "Jayhawks Will Be Honored in Houston"??

Being named an All-American is certainly a big honor. So is being nominated for the Lowe's award and even being chosen to compete in the 3-point shootout.

These three upperclassmen deserved better from you. If that doesn't mean anything to anyone, I'd like to also point out it's shoddy journalism. You don't lump stories with completely different themes in one same piece. "Oh, look - we're getting a good 'un" shouldn't upstage "Guys from our team are getting special attention - for their accomplishments AS JAYHAWKS."

Kyle Cornish 3 years, 4 months ago

Their job is not to give what players deserve... It is to REPORT THE NEWS. Season is over, so it's on to the next one.

murph 3 years, 4 months ago

So in your world "What have you done for me lately" doesn't even count, huh? It's just "move along - nothing more to see here". Next you'll be advocating taking down the banners and jerseys in the Fieldhouse because they're not "news" anymore. Pathetic.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

There were features about each of the guys (Sr's) in just the last couple weeks. Tyrel in particular will have another piece coming when the Sr CLASS award is presented.

We haven't heard about Naadir in quite some time. Nice to have a follow-up.

tis4tim 3 years, 4 months ago

"You don't lump stories with completely different themes in one same piece."

I take it you're not a fan of Gary Bedore's "Notebook" pieces then?

murph 3 years, 4 months ago

I love the "Notebook" when it's billed as the notebook. When it's headlined as a story about Tharpe, then lumps in what is a separate story about Jayhawks going to Houston to be recognized, then it's just a mess. This was at the minimum two stories - one about Tharpe, the other about activities in Houston.

This is the first mention of Brady in the 3-point contest - it deserved to stand alone. Everybody in D-I doesn't get to enter that. There's a guy in the dunk contest from a D-III school which doesn't even give athletic scholarships. If you add in all the shooters from D-II and D-III, being chosen becomes a bigger honor.

I'm not objecting at ALL to the story about Tharpe - it is news, and since he's our recruit, it's great news. The Houston stuff is at least one separate story - that's my point.

If you must have it as one story (my years as paid reporter, as a sports editor and the time I put in at J-School say it's at least two), then headline it as a story about Jayhawks being honored.

tis4tim 3 years, 4 months ago

Fair enough. Didn't mean to stir the pot. Rock Chalk!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 4 months ago

Whatever. Those guys didn't come through.

Funhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

The piece on Naadir Tharpe was timely. Jayhawk fans look for optimism after the season ends. Naadir will fit in well. Thanks for telling us more about an incoming freshman, Gary.

selfishhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Wasn't much fun watching the Hamburger game last night and seeing not a single KU signee. Lots of talent headed to UNC next year.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Funhawk. We really lacked a pure point guard the last two years (in my opinion, of course!), and that hurt us in the long run. TT & SC are great players, but I think that they are off-guards in college (NBA, anything goes!). Having a pure point guard would help us run our offense much better.

delo 3 years, 4 months ago

Why does everyone think we need to sign this kid, mclemore and another guard? This team is guard heavy next year: selby, johnson, taylor plus signees. If the Morris twins leave for the NBA were in trouble in the bigs department for depth with only (possibly) Robinson, then Withey having any experience.

Kevin Studer 3 years, 4 months ago

That's kind of my thinking as well. KU could easily be losing all 3 bigs who played significant minutes. I mean, even if all come back, it will be for the last year. Having at least one or two bigs to learn next year eouldn't kill us.

KuKain 3 years, 4 months ago

We'll be ok if they all come back this year. There year after is when that big kid from Texas will start playing. Zack Peters was his name I think.

kubball99 3 years, 4 months ago

You're are correct. Zach Peters has already given a verbal to Self, but he isn't the most important post prospect in the 2012 class. I would say that Kaleb Tarczewski and Perry Ellis are important recruits in the 2012 class. While Peters is a good project for Self & Co, Ellis and Tarczewski are certainly big targets for KU. Overall, the 2012 class has much deeper talent in the frontcourt than 2011 (not to mention most of the frontcourt talent from 2011 is off the board).

Ed Brown 3 years, 4 months ago

Withey promises to bulk up and get better this summer in preparation of filling the big man role next year. :) I sure hope his illness is what held him back this year. I think I did see 3 or 4 decent plays out of him but I may have lost track between them. :P

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe because we are losing some fire power.

We need Daniels and BMac for shooting and hope their D is as good. Many think BMac has lockdown ability. BMac reminds me of BRush.

I hope the bigs stay and Selby develops a bit more. TT and the twins will benefit from three years of hard work. Their last year will pay dividends.

Rel is a good shooter and a better defender but I'm really concerned about his consistency. The injury really set him back.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, I'd wager Bill wanted to sign Naadir because he thinks we don't have, in all of those guards, a true point guard. And I'd agree with him. We have a collection of athletic tweener guards and outright 2 guards. I think this is a great signing. As far as another guard after that... you guess is as good as mine. We definitely need more bigs if the worst-case NBA exodus occurs.

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Need to find a couple of bigs who are committed to developing their bodies and game for the long haul, at least 3 seasons. If the twins depart, I could see Self bringing in one seasoned jr. cllg. veteran for next season. If we should suddenly sport openings for immediate playing time, it would be no surprise to find decommits showing up on our radar, just as did the Morii 3 years ago. I like what I have read about Naadir Tharpe. Shades of Aaron Miles coming aboard to free and feed Hinrich for scoring success. One thing we have seen in the midmajor squads which have given the Jayhawks fits: often they are senior laden teams that have played together without distractions of one and done injections disrupting the mix. Unfortunately, the Selby project got in the way of progress of EJ and Travis this season. Just as X and brother affected Little and Releford last year. In the grand scheme of Jayhawk basketball, I would grade the pair of Selby and Xavier no higher than C+/B- for their combined impact on the program. Might possibly have been stronger, more seasoned endofseason teams without their minutes, even if we had produced an extra 2 or 3 losses enroute to the NCAA Tournament. Good kids both, but freshmen aren't the best fits for Bill Self basketball and fan attachment and admiration. Gotta hope that TRob returns!

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

Anderson 6-8, Porter 6-9 and Simpson 6-10- We may get Anderson and Simpson is a strong KU lean. Cal is also bribing Anderson and Simpson.

It all depends on the Twins and maybe what TRob does. Selby's decision will impact our bigs recruiting too. I think recruits want KU but these 3-4 current players are holding them back.

brooksmd 3 years, 4 months ago

I would think a big would jump at the chance of being able to bang with the twins and TRob (if they come back) for a year, plus the tutoring under Coach Manning. Geez, with all that and a year in the weight room with Hudy, you'd be ready your soph year. Just my take on it.

oldalum 3 years, 4 months ago

I especially liked the fan comment following the article that said Missouri was going to have to be ready to face a few down years with a new coach. I'd have thought they'd already be used to it.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 4 months ago

There is nothing good at all about having Mizzou in this situation. This conference is already weak. I don't ever want Mizzou to succeed, but I do want them to have a good team for KU to practice against twice a year.

weak conference=weak ncaa tourney showing.

strong conference=more national publicity as well as better preparation for the national tournament.

i know most love to hate mizzou, but seriously, it's way better to have a strong conference than a weak one.

Kye Clark 3 years, 4 months ago

Well I certainly want our conference to be strong, but it doesn't guarantee a better showing for the NCAA tournament. See the Big East, aka the Big Least, aka the Itty Bitty East.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

Ha, ha---bummer Missouri. Now if we can ever beat them in football!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Is your name real name Rip Van Winkle? We have obviously missed the last couple years, but even when we have been bad we have beaten the tiggers and are right about 50% overall. If you don't believe me, go ask Brad Smith.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 4 months ago

Dagger---- I meant the last two seasons---yep, your right---overall record-wise, we are pretty much tied with Missery.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

Two more of our guys in Houston and we could get a little pick-up game going. I would add Markieff and TRob and would challenge any other team not in the FFour. Then we would see who is the best team!

I wonder who else is going to be in the 3 point contest with Brady?

sloppyscience 3 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know why, if DD is the #9 rated player on rivals, he didn't make the McDonald's roster?

loyal2thaphog 3 years, 4 months ago

IMG is a prep school... Daniels graduated from HS in 2010.

TraditionRich 3 years, 4 months ago

Funny to think with how we went out that we would send a guy to the 3 point shootout

REHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

If IMG Academy a prep school, he is not eligible.

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

My concern is if Marc and kieff stay then Daniels won't sign. Plus you don't need that many bigs on one team, I think vcu, butler, and uconn have proven that. With tyshaun, Elijah, Josh, Royce, and Travis coming back plus signing tharpe and probably mclmore we will be guard heavy. If our guards coming back put in time on their outside shooting then we can be a serious threat to drive and shoot next year. I love Brady and tyrell but we all knew they couldn't really drive the ball. BTW did anyone read espn's article on uconn becoming a "blueblood"? When talking about Kansas in parenthesis it said "p.s. How does Kansas have only three national titles?" I wish they would count the two previous to the NCAA coming about.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Danny was interviewed a while back, and the interviewer mentioned 3 NC. Danny pleasasntly reminded him that KU has 5 NC, and 3 NCAA NC.

There was life before the NCAA, and we need to celebrate history, and not some revisionist form that truncates a third of it.

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

I am glad Danny spoke up. If Analyst are just going to base it off tournament size then everytime the tournament expands all previous winners should be negated.

3 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of the Helms Foundational National Championships, you guys might enjoy these links.

This one lists all of their champions:

Here are links to several nice back-and-forth blogs between some KU and MU fans regarding our 1922 and 1923 teams:

100 3 years, 4 months ago

16 game tournament in 1923 for instance. We went 16-0.

There is no difference between the 1922 & 1923 titles & the national titles Nebraska won in football in the '90s, where they were voted on.

The tenacity of this team was never before seen on a basketball court & hasnt been matched since. We are talking about young men determind to own every single possession & every single minute of every single game. This team was ferocious. As for confirmation Phog always raved about this team. Nationally Phog's name was really growing at this point so these teams were even known of on a national basis which was quite unheard of back then, as for the most part college basketball was a regional sport. Also this team had, for the time, the best player in the game, akin to what Phog was to Kansas when he first signed with Naismith, "the world's best goal thrower."

Paul Endacott, a Lawrence kid. One of the best, hardest working kids we've ever had, regardless of the decade.

He's in the Naismith Hall of fame along with Rupp who was on that team as well. You take a look at that 1923 picture, it really brings home our tradition.

Four people in that 1923 National Champion photo are now in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Endacott. Rupp. Phog. Naismith.

That photo & that team is pretty much our calling card.

Anyone trying to take away our 1922 or '23 National Titles doesn't really "get" college basketball.

That 1923 photo "is" college basketball. First back to back champions in college basketball, of course haters don't like it & will say what they say.

To me, those titles are every bit as important to our tradition than the '52, '88 & 2008 ones, maybe more so in growing what Naismith planted in Lawrence....

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

Outstanding point 100! I bet if rupp were still alive today and you told him he didn't win a national title he might have something to say about it. I get that the wins were almost a hundred years ago but as the saying goes "a wins a win". Do I believe we should have more titles than we do? Of course. I also believe self will win two or possibly three more before he is done. In today's modern era it is so difficult to win a title. Especially with the tournament growing. Everyone says you just have to win six games. That's easy throughout the season but once the tournament starts your either playing a conference champion or a top twenty five team. To sum up, your right. Ku is the Mecca of college hoops regardless of what other universities or analyst think.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't agree...The Helms Championships were voted in retroactively in the mid '30s going back to 1901 for basketball. Deciding who the National Champ was a decade earlier is highly subjective. Although I agree these teams deserve recognition, I find it hard to put them on the same level as the NCAA Championship. Even today, the BCS champ is not counted as a NCAA Champion. Obviously this is just my opinion but Kensucky doesn't include their 2 Helms Championships but UNC does. Also..Rupp won 4 NCAA Championships..1948, 1949, 1951, 1958

Hank Cross 3 years, 4 months ago

I respectfully disagree that the Helms Foundation titles should be counted as equal to the NCAA NCs. The key difference between the Helms titles and CFB "mythical titles" is that the FB teams knew that they were playing for a "title" when they were playing. This undoubtedly affected their play. IIRC ND went for a tie to preserve a "mythical NC". Had the "MNC" not been in their heads, ND might've done something different. The 20s teams should be honored, but I don't see those titles as the same as the 3 NCAA ones.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 4 months ago

Something I've noticed a lot of people posting don't seem to realize is, Daniels is a wing, a 3. He's not a 4, he's not a 5. Now, under Bill's system he may play some 4, but that's not where his skill set is at currently. At 6'8" he weighs 180 lbs. Does that sound like a banger to you?

Basically, what I'm saying here is, the Morrii and/or T-Rob staying for another year does not definitely preclude Daniels from coming here. Basically, both he and Ben McLemore are the Brandon Rush-type player we were missing this year: an athletic wing with a varied skill set.

bradynsdad 3 years, 4 months ago

Yahweh I did not know he was primarily a three but your right if he comes here most likely he will be forced down into the four. Marcus tried to play the three a few times this year but only when we were winning. Self is a high low guy so if daniels wants to play the three he better have great ball handling skills.

3 years, 4 months ago

Hilarious! After a four-year hiatus, our favorite troll “phog” was back for a brief (10 minutes?) shining moment with his typical drivel posted, and has already been KO’d.

Good job, Jesse.

Marc Frey 3 years, 4 months ago

Like the Avitar...Shiner Bock in my fridge as I type this.

3 years, 4 months ago

You are obviously a brilliant KU fan and scholar :^) If you get a chance and have not done so already, try their Black Lager and seasonal Cheer. Finer brews have not been made!

Prosit!!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 4 months ago

bock, hefewiezen, and blonde make my all-america team along with Boulevard wheat and one delicous beer from a place called jupiter in Oakland, CA... I don't remmber what the beer was called...

3 years, 4 months ago

Those are nice Shiner offerings as well. Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat is one of my favorites! They just started carrying it here in North Texas a few years ago.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

I am definitely ready to move on and think about next season. Tharpe was a good sign. I am a huge fan of pure point guards like Aaron Miles (I've seen many people drawing similarities between Miles and Tharpe). I think KU will also land McLemore and Daniels (especially if the twins go pro). We should be in good shape for guards with TT, EJ, Tharpe, Selby (maybe), Royce, Releford, McLemore and Teahen.

Bill Self's comments have made it pretty clear that he thinks TRob should stay. That would be huge for KU. If he stays, we'll (more than likely) have TRob, Daniels, Withey and probably another big (Simpson or Anderson). We won't be really deep at the forward/center positions, but successful teams in college basketball (especially in the tournament) seem to always have really great guard play. Look at what happened to KU this year - we got lit up at the three point line by VCU's guards, while our guards underwhelmed (to say the least). We need some players that can step up and drain 3's all day long as well as play spectacular defense (I think Selby, EJ, and Royce could really help in this aspect). Tyrel and Brady were great, but they were great more because of their consistency on both ends of the court rather than their lights out shooting.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

Miles was a McDonald's All-American (#15 overall). I'm not sure Tharpe has earned any comparisons as of yet. But. hope you are right.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

I didn't make the comparison between the two, I've just seen a lot of journalists writing that. I would concur that he still has to earn that comparison.

But as far as his skills go, I think he's got all the tools to be a pretty good pure PG at KU. He's really quick (probably not the fastest guy on the court like TT though), he can dunk at 5'11" (ridiculous air), he can drive and dish, he has a great looking jump shot, and he makes impossible-looking layups (ala Sherron Collins, though he's not nearly as bulky as Sherron). I doubt he'll play a lot next season with TT and EJ ahead of him, but after that I think he'll turn out to be a pretty decent recruit.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

We both want the same thing...I hope Tharpe turns out to be a Russell Rob type of player. We really need a defensive stopper.

khekhen 3 years, 4 months ago

who cares if he can drive the paint? we dont need another Tyshawn. we need the second coming of aaron miles, which is what this kid seems to be...

more pertinent questions are: can he feed the post? can he see the play developing quickly in transition? does he understand flow?

drive the paint? the line for that one rolls 5 deep already, we dont need another lebron wannabe...

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

Holy moley! Niiiice ups for a guy that's 5'11". The highlight real makes him look like a mix between Aaron Miles and Sherron Collins. I doubt he'll get a lot of minutes next year (TT and EJ will likely both be ahead of him at the PG spot), but after that I think he'll contribute a lot. Good choice Bill!

Dale Kroening 3 years, 4 months ago

Strengths: There may not be another point guard in the country who has won more high level basketball games than Tharpe. He is a true point who makes plays for himself and others, has a tight handle, excellent court vision, and pinpoint passing ability. He can drive to score or dish and shows great ability to read the defense and make decisions while in attack mode. He has floaters, pull-ups and wide angled lay-ups in his offensive arsenal and is an outstanding pick and roll guard. His jumper is much improved over the years and now consistent when in rhythm from 21 feet and in and his body strengthened enough to keep opposing defenders outside of the paint.

Weaknesses: One of Tharpe's best assets is his ability to improve upon his weaknesses and while his jumper and physical strength are great examples of that, he needs to continue to polish those two areas. He projects as an above average three-point shooter at best at the next level and while he has bulked up quite a bit, he naturally has a smaller frame that will cause match-up problems in certain games. Overall consistency also needs to be a point of emphasis as he can be streaky good or bad at times and occasionally make unnecessary turnovers.

Bottom Line: Overall, Tharpe is a very good lead guard that can create in the open floor, quarter court, or coming off the ball screen. He runs the team, handles pressure, and is one of the best in the country when "tuned in".

KULA 3 years, 4 months ago

Looks really good on these videos, but obviously nothing like Kyrie Irving/Brandon Knight quickness to the hole. Not even Tyshawn quickness. Of course, if he had that kinda quickness, he'd be McD AA instead second 50. Still, he looks good and promising.

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

We are going to like this kid and he has a great attitude.

He's going to do great things at KU.

Welcome Naadir and Rock the Chalk

Joe Baker 3 years, 4 months ago

We needed him against VCU. Watch his defense and how he stays with his man.

They run a similar offense. Lets get this kid on campus and get him in the chemistry of the team early. Can't get him soon enough.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for posting the links. I've been wondering what type of talent Tharpe has. By the looks of things, he's got plenty of tools to be a great PG at KU.

tdub 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Tharpe will be our Kendall Marshall in 2 years. A smart, fast, pure point guard can transform the performance of a team like no other.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 4 months ago

Brady participating in a 3-point shooting contest! Thanks, I needed that laugh today. He should bow out on principle alone based on how he shot against VCU.

HawkKlaw 3 years, 4 months ago

You do realize Brady shot 41% from the 3 pt line this year, right? Second best on the team next to Kieff...

eway12 3 years, 4 months ago

It seems very odd to me that Brady is in the 3-point contest. Those contests are built for spot up shooters who don't expend a lot of energy and time with a jump shot. Brady is the opposite of that. I fear he will perform poorly even though he is a very good shooter. Bill usually builds his back court with combo guards so this should be interesting. I personally like the idea since I was always a "pure" point guard, but also because we will continue to have dominant big men as long as Manning is coaching and having a pure point guard may help get the ball into the low post more efficiently. I'm curious to see how Tharpe fits in.

dnvrhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

It will be interesting to see if Brady can get all the shots off in the allotted time. This year his shot didn't look as fluid as it has in the last few. There's some strange hitch going on right before his release. Even in the picture for this article his wrist looks bent back at an unnatural angle.

Sally Presson 3 years, 4 months ago

I would be thrilled if we kept all our guys, losing only the seniors which is a big loss. Just like I wouldn't trade Bill Self for any coach in America, I wouldn't trade our bigs for anyone or TT or EJ or Selby. We've got a great team now, don't want to see any of them leave. And if a recruit can see past their nose, they can see what an opportunity it will be to play with Keif, Marcus, TRob, Josh, TT, EJ and the rest of our guys. They would gain a world of experience in the year we have them at KU. There's just nothing like seniors on your team. Rock Chalk

Steve Gantz 3 years, 4 months ago

This season, despite its' many wins, was also one of the most tumultuous in my memory. It actually goes back to the season before with the fight. Some teams can manage to feed off of the bad attitudes, but seemingly KU didn't in the end. I hope some of the people we bring in can help change the national perception about KU that formed this season.

cragarhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I once heard a story about the 1942 team? Something like, they were undefeated and went to war instead of playing in the NCAA tourney? Was there a tourney then? Is there any truth to this? Somebody older than me or with knowledge on the subject please would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jaybate 3 years, 4 months ago

Nadiir in our rotation his freshman season?

Man, wouldn't that be great!

But Coach Self thought Josh was going to be one of the best players in the conference.

He though EJ would be in the rotation his first season, too.

He thought Travis Releford was going to be an impact player and major contributor this past season.

He thought Mario Little was going to be a big contributor.

He thought Jeff Withey was going to win some games down the stretch.

He thought Thomas Robinson was going to play some his first season.

He didn't think Brady and Tyrel were going to make such huge contributions, when he recruited them.

Recruits and coaches just kind of shine everyone on until the season starts and then the practice and games quickly expose who can get it done and who can't.

Come ready to compete, Nadiir.

We would be a very good team if you can back up Tyshawn, EJ can move to the 2, Royce can back up EJ, and Travis starts at the three with Ben Mac backing up, or vice versa.

Josh would not even be missed.

But if Josh comes back, Travis could be looking at a lot of short 4 PT a la Little this season.

Whatever, the perimeter looks very solid next season if Ben signs, or Josh stays.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 4 months ago

If he allowed these kids to fail, all the above could have been true. Its hard enough w/all the expectations you get playing for Kansas without having to be put on a very short lease...

I still think Self could be a great coach but I hope he has learned some things this season as well... Next season could be brutal.

bbhawk234 3 years, 4 months ago

Can we please take BM picture off from this article. I have had enough having to look at that jumpshot.

Ian Brown 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey douchebag, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you.

MrPilot 3 years, 4 months ago

If anyone is watching this thread, Brady is competing in the 3 point championship on ESPN2 right now!

JD Roth 3 years, 4 months ago

Brady couldn't throw it in the ocean tonight.

rtjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Brady...love you though I do, EPIC FAIL tonight.

Good luck in your future endeavors. I wish you all the best.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 3 years, 4 months ago

Congrats, Wichita State! Best team in the State.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 4 months ago

Pretty sure a NBA lockout will happen next season. The owners want to do something about players controlling teams aka LeBron , Wade and the Heat, and the salaries. So I think we will be seeing the Twins and Thomas for another season.

Ian Brown 3 years, 4 months ago

If Lebron, Wade and company were controlling the Heat, they would get someone who could actually coach. Unfortunately, Pat Riley is in control of the Heat, and his ego won't allow him to admit that Spoelstra can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack. Also, if LeBron and Wade were in control of their salaries, they wouldn't have accepted less money just to be on the same team.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 4 months ago

Hmm, LeBron made 15.1 mill in 2010 and 14.5 mill in 2011. Yea a difference of 600,000. I am sure it was a big sacrifice. But he can say he took less money. Pretty disingenuous. You actually think Riley has the guts to go against his superstars? He has become complacent and Lebron and Co want a coach they can ignore. They have one.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 4 months ago

Brady is probably the oldest participant in the 3 point contest history. There should be a Seniors Tour that maybe he could opt in for.