Originally published July 17, 2011 at 01:43p.m., updated July 18, 2011 at 12:46a.m.

Soph Conner Frankamp commits to KU hoops

Wichita North's Conner Frankamp, who will graduate in 2013, committed to the Kansas men's basketball team on Sunday.

Wichita North junior-to-be Conner Frankamp’s 16th birthday celebration Saturday night consisted of ...

• attending “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2” with parents, Karen and Marty;

• dining with his loved ones at “Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers;”

• and, oh, yes, orally committing to play basketball at Kansas University.

“It was probably my best birthday ever,” said Frankamp, a 6-foot-1, 160-pound point guard. He received a scholarship offer from Jayhawk coach Bill Self at the conclusion of his June 30 unofficial visit to KU.

“It’s crazy. It really is a dream come true. I am a pretty big Kansas fan. I have been my whole life. I’m just really excited to be going there,” added Frankamp, who averaged 27.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game his sophomore season at North.

Frankamp phoned Self with the good news Saturday night while KU’s ninth-year coach was attending a surprise 50th-wedding anniversary party for Self’s parents in Oklahoma.

“Coach Self said he’s really happy to have me and said I’ve been playing really well,” said Frankamp, who has had a stellar summer for KC Pump N Run after averaging 8.6 points and 3.6 assists for the gold-medal-winning United States team at the FIBA Americas U16 Championships in Cancun.

Frankamp — he scored a Wichita City League-record 52 points last season in an 87-81 double-overtime loss to Wichita Northwest — chose KU over Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA, Boston College, Kansas State, Missouri, Wichita State and others.

It’s believed Rivals.com’s No. 65-rated player in the Class of 2013 would have received many offers in the months to come.

“It’s been my dream my whole life. I might as well get it over with, go ahead and do it,” Frankamp said of his reason for committing halfway through his high school career. “I used to follow (former KU/current NBA guard) Kirk Hinrich a lot. He was probably one of my favorite players. I’ve always liked the team in general, the players and coaches.”

At this stage of his development, Frankamp is best known for his ability to shoot — and score.

The slender guard, who, at the age of 5 scored 18 points in his first-ever Biddy Basketball League game, scored 25 points as a high school freshman in his Wichita City League debut (against state champion Heights). As a sophomore, North’s leading scorer hit 52 percent of his two-point tries, 46 percent of his threes and 89 percent of his free throws.

“He was playing — and shooting — when he was 2, 3 years old,” said Frankamp’s dad, Marty, who is Wichita North’s junior varsity coach. “I think he’s obviously a really good shooter. He can get his shot any time he wants. He’s getting better on defense. As he gets stronger, he gets better.

“I think he’s actually a better passer than scorer, (but) he has to score so much for us, that’s what people know him as. I think he’s an all-around guard who can play the 1 or the 2. He obviously has to get bigger and stronger and work on his defense. Most kids that are younger need to work on that.”

Frankamp works with a personal strength and conditioning coach — Marty’s former basketball teammate at Coffeyville Community College, Roy Birch.

Marty, meanwhile, is Conner’s personal hoops coach in the gym.

On most days, the goal is for Conner to make between 300 and 400 shots before hitting the showers.

“I think to be as good as you can be, you have to put in extra work,” Conner Frankamp said. “I have a lot to improve on. I have to keep working hard on everything.”

He’s happy to do that while hoping to lead North to a state title or two the next two seasons.

Then it’s off to his favorite university.

“This is a relief to have a dream come true and just happiness that it is actually happening,” Frankamp said.

This, that

Frankamp has had a basketball in his hands a long time. “Ever since I could walk, I grew up loving it,” he said of basketball. “I practice every day to see where it takes me.” ... In discussing his 52-point game, he said: “It was pretty crazy, surreal. It would have been a lot better if we won.” ... Frankamp was tempted to commit to KU on his unofficial visit. “When I left campus, I was pretty sure I was going to go there. Just being in there (Allen Fieldhouse) is amazing. It seemed like the place for me to be. Coach Self is a great guy, great coach as well. He knows how to win and I think that is very important in determining where I want to go.” ... Conner’s older brother, Kevin, played at both Wichita Trinity Academy and Wichita North. ... The Frankamps will officially celebrate Conner’s commitment at dinner tonight out on the town. “We usually go to Olive Garden or P.F. Chang’s or somewhere like that. Conner was kind of nervous (Saturday before calling Self) and not very hungry so we went to Freddy’s. We’ll probably go out (tonight) ... now he can relax a bit,” his dad said ... Frankamp attended KU’s Elite camp two summers ago.

Comments

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 9 months ago

Brady being a average high school player, he was a loser from the start and stupid Self recruited him. Self better start coaching and recruiting players rather than the joke he did last year or Self will be out of here.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

...more importantly: Welcome to the KU family, Conner. We look forward to seeing you play when you get here! Enjoy your highschool now. RCJH!

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Some of the alarmist comments are way, way, way too premature. Look, its a medical fact the majority of males continue growing til age 18, and 20% of males continue to get taller past age 18! Conner is already 6'1 at age 16. He very well could turn out to be 6'3, 185ish (same size as Reed, BStar, TTaylor). Or even bigger?!

And anyone who has watched Self "develop" a player's defensive skills should know that it t-a-k-e-s t-i-m-e ! ! ! ! That list of developed-defenders includes none other than RussRob, Chalmers, BStar, EJ, Releford...

OMG, people please act like you have seen Bill Self do this before? Where ya been the last 7 yrs? Do I really care about the-state-of-Conner's-skills-at-age-16? No, because WildBill is a way, way, way better judge of talent compared to me or any of the 'alarmists' above. Jeez...

Lance Hobson 2 years, 9 months ago

Excuse me, Brady Morningstar was positively average in high school. Frankamp is a rock star as a sophomore and is dominating Wichita. I can't believe anyone would compare him to Brady Morningstar. And I guarantee you Conner will never get a DUI during Boot Camp.

BTW, Michael Jordon grew three inches from his freshman to sophomore years in college.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 9 months ago

Conner, only thing I gotta say is this: Hinrich was the man when he was here, and his first year on the Bulls he was doing his thing. Then, his progress as well as his speed and his shot % declined, seemingly his confidence just disappeared. Don't lose the killer instinct.

wtarush 2 years, 9 months ago

I"ll remember this day!

I remember only three times within my Jayhawk (life-long) fandom when I was so enthused about signing a recruit. The first when Brandon Rush stunned us all by not following either of his brothers to some fairly unsavory programs, the second (probably not as memorable for some) when Tyrel Reed got the nod and the third...well, the third may belay my age a bit, but it was when Danny Manning first moved to Lawrence.

It makes me proud to see that a Kansas kid can set himself to the work it takes to be an elite basketball player. Getting the word from Conner has the feel of another C. Aldrich recruitment with a higher level of scoring potential. "IF" he keeps advancing at the rate he has already shown, we may not see him in the crimson and blue for four years. And "IF" he stays on his current path he will be able to afford doubles from Stone Cold Creamery rather than concretes from freddy's...

(Note: Stone Gold Creamery can kiss my.!. I would prefer freddy's any day of the week and not feel like a tool for spending hours of salary for some fool ice cream!... Just my opinion...)

Rock Chalk Conner! Go KU!

gardenjay 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but he looks like a good listener. What more can you ask from an already super b-ball player?

Well, OK.... maybe he can help increase the work ethic on campus as well....

William Blake 2 years, 9 months ago

What I am curious about is what will Conner's FG% be when he has D1 defenders jumping out on his shot?

I know Conner thinks about it, too. He's the type of player that won't wait until he arrives in Lawrence to address issues, like whether he can score on tougher defense. If anything, now that he has his future lined out, you can bet he'll work that much harder on his game. He'll be evaluated by the KU staff on what to work on for the next 2 years and will be much improved by the time he comes to Lawrence.

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Let's hope we maintain Tyrel's and Brady's 30+ wins with Conner and Naadir pushing the ball upcourt.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 9 months ago

I guess we got back Tyrel and Brady!!

LaJHawk666 2 years, 9 months ago

Someone said he won't grow any more, but don't kids usually grow an inch or two from age 16-18? It's been a while.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to compare players, even of the same size, but I decided to look up Jimmer and he was listed as 6' 2", which surprised me. I thought he was a couple inches taller.

I'm excited about him being a Jayhawk, but that being said, I am a bit worried that since HCBS signed BenMac he has signed five guys (not including Zach Peters), none of which are four-stars or better. Yeah, yeah, rankings don't mean everything, and I like a mix of stars and role players, but there are only so many schollies to give out and I'd really like to have room for a few more stars. I mean, Merv may turn out to be good/great in 3-4 years, but we're only guaranteed two more schollies (after Zach takes one) for 2012 (yes, I think T-Rob will go pro, too, but the schollie won't be available until April).

Also, we seem to be super-loaded with PFs while still trying to get Ellis. Something's gotta give...

RCJH

KUfanInFlorida 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't why some people questioning his size. He is only Sophomore in high school. I think he should be a great player for KU in the future.

Hopefully, Ellis will commit soon as well.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

There will always be someone critical of a recruit coming into the program, no offense, 2011. Frankamp even admitted that he needs to improve and work harder on his defense. The bottom line though, is a lot of respectable programs wanted him, including the Jayhawks, and KU has him. We can all agree that HCBS is a pretty darn good evaluator of basketball talent.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 9 months ago

Coaches son who already bleeds Crimson and Blue. 'Nuff said. He didn't say one thing I disagree with - except maybe that he eats at Olive Garden but hey, I live in NYC and am Italian so I have had a decent bowl of pasta in my day. At worst he is Brady but perhaps he turns out to be Kirk!? Why not be excited now about the potential here!

RCJHGKU

kufan2011 2 years, 9 months ago

Not negative at all, just calling it like I've seen it. Fun player to watch because he rarely makes mistakes, but against higher level athletes, he has nowhere near the same impact on the game offensively and struggles defensively. If he gets quite a bit quicker and stronger, even if he doesn't get taller, he could be a nice player in the future. He has to work on a much quicker shot release regardless. Time will tell I guess.

kufan2011 2 years, 9 months ago

This kid is a savvy player that makes good decisions and has a very good shot with a fairly slow release. I saw the kid play for Pump N Run in several tournaments last year and he is as big as he's going to get. Hasn't grown a bit in the past year. He can of course get stronger and possibly a little quicker with the right strength and conditioning program.

The competition he plays in high school is nowhere near as tough as he plays in summer ball and whenever I saw an athletic player guard him, he had a lot of difficulty getting to the hole or getting his shot off. Nice player, but unless he gets a lot quicker, stronger and a much quicker shot release he has no shot at playing the 1 or 2 for significant minutes. He is Conner Teahan minus 5 inches and 50 pounds.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 9 months ago

Look closely: OU was recruiting him hard and put Conner through their timed 3-pt shot drill during a visit. Their best shooters usually get about 35 shots off in that time and make around 30. Conner took 49 shots and made 45. He's a sophomore. The Natural.

kushaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Why Connor Frankamp will be a stud in a KU uniform.

1) Many will try to lump Frankamp in the Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar category simply because he is from "Kansas", but I think his ceiling is much more vast than that of Reed or Morningstar.

2) Don't get me wrong, I loved Reed and Morningstar in a Jayhawk uniform and will defend them to the end, but one area where they both lacked was ball handling. If there is one thing about the "Hi-Lo".......... you have to have great guards that are comfortable in traffic getting around hedgers on the pick and roll as well as potential double teams and you also have to be comfortable handling the rock out on the perimeter so your "Big's" can get position and in the locations they need to.

3) Despite the myths some will place on Frankamp, he's very athletic (Dunks with ease), has great ball handling skills, is fearless in traffic, and is perhaps the best shooter in the 2013 class.

With that said, the "Robotic" offense we saw at times with Reed and Morningstar IMO will be erased with Connor's ability to stretch the defense with his shooting as well as his ability to keep his dribble when something breaks down.

4) Frankamp might not be flashy, but his skill set in the future is going to be a better match for the "Hi-Lo" than anybody KU had on their team last year simply because of his shooting and his ability to to keep his dribble off the pick and roll. How many times did Reed, Morningstar, Selby, EJ, and Taylor only take 2 or 3 dribbles off the pick and roll when they felt like the hedger was doing their job? "Creativity" on the perimeter with the pick and roll is part of the offense, but there wasn't much skillset or creativity IMO during and shortly after the pick and roll was being conducted on the perimeter last year.

5) Even though Frankamp is considered a scorer at the moment, once he gets to KU and he's finally able to play with legitimate big men, he's going to be a tremendous asset to Self's system. Big Men are going to love playing with this kid.

I think we are going to see a shift in Self's recruiting from now going into the future. No matter the ranking or the size of the kid, I think Self is going to go after guards that can shoot and also possess the ability to keep their dribble in traffic. Chalmers and Collins were great at this and even though Frankamp might not be as flashy, I think he has the potential to shoot, keep his dribble, and get into the lane to set up his big guys or to set up his mid-range game.

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 9 months ago

Sure hope he's better than Six-pack Brady.

perryellisfuturehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

This kid's got sick range. Give him two more years and he would have been heavily sought after. Great to lock him up early. I can see him having Jimmer range by the time he gets to Lawrence.

JHAWKNPHX 2 years, 9 months ago

Welcome to AFH!!!! RCJHGKU!!!!

FoCoCoHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Don't change a thing you're doing Conner; enjoy high school and get ready to become a full-fledged member of the greatest extended family in the world. By the time you get here, HCBS will have the paint choked with bigs...all you'll have to is dish and fire. OK...play some D too.

RCJH!

Keith Hummel 2 years, 9 months ago

Awesome News! Welcome Conner!

And I've just gotta say, I'll take 10 kids like Conner Frankamp for every Josh Selby. Kids like Conner make everyone around them better because of the example they set. No one will out-work or out-hustle this kid, and non one will be prouder to be a Jayhawk. And, oh by the way, this kid has phenomenal shooting and ball handling skills, and he's only 16!!!

Bear86 2 years, 9 months ago

Great Signing!! We need scorers! Good to see we are keeping the talent in state.

F-Texas!!!

Rock Chalk!!

CRAZY4KUSPORTS 2 years, 9 months ago

This is a great get for Coach Self and the Jayhawks. The kid is only going to get bigger and stronger with 2 more years of high school ahead of him. He will end up being one of the top guards in the 2013 class when it is all said and done. Rock Chalk!!

Burt Ferguson 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm in Wichita and have never seen kid play in a game. But I am a believer that he will be the real deal. If for no other reason than this: he comitted to KU on Saturday night and he was at the Andover YMCA at 9:30 on Sunday morning working out.

kushaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Once a shooter always a shooter. Once you hit bricks........you lay bricks. I'll take shooters anyday of the week.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

"Some Signs Perry May Sign at KU"

~People wearing crimson and blue ski masks have shown up at the RV with the UNC insignia and the Carolina plates parked 24/7 outside Perry's crib and spray painted it crimson and blue.

~Perry just seen wearing crimson and blue Tom Ford designed jock.

~When Perry asked about Duke, he Freudianed, "I love the atmosphere at Allen Indoor Stadium. I really respect Coach S. Durham, Kansas, is one of the basketball meccas."

~Perry tried Carolina barbecue and wretched.

~In an interview with the Durham Daily Dook, in which Perry was asked: "How does it feel to stand on the same blocks that Jay Bilas and Christian Laettner stood on?", Perry responded, "Not as awe inspiring as standing on the same blocks that Clyde, Wilt, Danny, Shady, Cole and the Twins stood on, I'll tell ya that!"

~After water skiing behind a Cobalt on Lake Perry, he fished for slugs in a Carolina Skiff in a coastal swamp, and said, "Carolina Stiff!"

~After a visit to Aridzona, he said, "Its another 20 degrees hotter than Kansas, man, and wheat makes better bread than cactus does!"

~After a visit to HackCLA, he said, "Pauley's smaller than my high school gym. The sky looks like card board. And the air still tastes like taffy hung for a week behind a diesel bus exhaust pipe for a week!"

~After a visit to Chapel Hole and the Baja KU campus, he said, "Man, I just can't take all that cryin'!"

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey, KGphoto, we are not focusing here on an average kid whose best interests lie in enjoying his high school experience. This is a 16 year old Kansas superstar who attempts to "make" 300-400 shots per day before hitting the showers...a young man who possesses the early gift to be sought after by the top Div. I program in the land. Though athletic burnout is always a possibility for such young talents, this lad and his dad seem to have priorities in order. I can't imagine many 16 year olds at Wichita North enjoying their high school years more than Conner, already a gold medal participant in age-group FIBA world championships. However, you are astute in pointing out that my advice re focus on defense might come across as somewhat untowards, as his school coaches already have his best interests at heart. And there is little doubt that his father and Bill Self will hold many conversations before Conner arrives in uniform at The Phog. I would just like to see him position himself to play major minutes at KU, right from the start. Without the defense, we know that will not happen. What an exciting shooter for all of us to await!

AZHawk72 2 years, 9 months ago

Welcome, Conner!

God, I love gymrats--Boschee, Reed, Frankamp.........

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey Conner! Way to Go!! Welcome to Jayhawk Nation!

I L O V E D his comments about the golden Kirk Hinrich - because KH also had a coaching dad, and look how that turned out!

Another thing, looking at his mug shot with the article, if he had dark curly hair that was a little longer, he'd even kind of look like Kirk. I LIKE IT!!!

ROCK CHALK, Conner!!

gardenjay 2 years, 9 months ago

I really like this type of recruit Bill. Here you have a quality player who has drive, desire, and will most probably get a decent 4-year degree. Will be looking forward to that time as a fan. :) :) :)

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps I should repeat a pressing thought, Conner. Eat, sleep, think, dream DEFENSE! Steals, disruptions, geometric angles, deadly freethrow shooting. These accomplishments will see you to major playing minutes right from the getgo.

REHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Conner, you are a very early talent who appears to possess the best of very young instincts. KU fans are extremely excited to read that such an in-state talent will be matriculating to The Phog. If you should play the entire four years of Div. I eligibility in Lawrence, this means that we will have at least 6 years to follow your progress. Your next two seasons of school and summer play will be watched closely by the Jayhawk Nation. Obviously, you have developed skills as a polished scorer. Now, begin to focus on defense, assists, steals. You can expect to have several accomplished big men awaiting your assists in the fall of 2013. And hopefully an accomplished junior named Naadir Tharpe to help guide you through your first year of Bill Self Basketball. Welcome to the Jayhawk Family!

kushaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice, I can't wait to talk Frankamp for 4 years! Now let's rap up Perry Ellis from Wichita, Semilore Ojeleye from Ottawa, and Willey Cauley from Olathe and we'll have a nice "Kansas Connection" for the future.

Michael Auchard 2 years, 9 months ago

At first I was like, "what in the..." because I'd never heard of him, but, wow. Nice numbers and it's nice to have a Kansas recruit. Welcome to the team, the family and the dynasty, Conner.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 9 months ago

So, this kid can now get a driver's license and on the same day, his birthday, he committed to KU.

Let's see, what was my day like? Huge discovery...discovered that Five Guys opened there first location here!

fabvacx 2 years, 9 months ago

I tide fashion Good-looking, not expensive Free transport

gchawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Welcome aboard Conner. A smart young man who can shoot lights out is definitely worth signing early. Conner, if you do read these boards, please take the negative post with a grain of salt, we "faithfuls" are convinced that most of them are either: (1) infiltrators from other schools and/or, (2) miserable derelicts who are doomed to a life living in their mommie's basement.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Got to admit this imposter (who I'm pretty sure is 100) has some good ones. If I were one for going after the basketball team, which I'm not bc I think it's cool that we compete for national championships every year with a couple of Kansas kids on the team. Along with my thoughts of the level of Kansas high school basketball being underated. I would of went with:

Maybe this kid would be a good fit with Turner and the football team. With 52 points in one game this kid will not say 4 letter words, including "pass"

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow! What great news. I live in the Wichita metro area and the coverage of Conner has been outstanding due to his trip to Cancun. I know a lot of Wichita State fans/alumni are bummed about this bit of news---they'll really will be bummed if we get Perry Ellis. I have only seen him on the sports highlight reels but with this announcement, I will have to see him play in person. BTW, for those in the Wichita (KS) area, Conner Frankamp will be on KAKE-TV, Channel 10's Overtime Live, a 30-minute extra sports broadcast at 10:30 p.m. I can't wait to see what he has to say about Coach Self and the whole recruiting process.

Nice going, HCBS! Welcome aboard, Conner! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

William Blake 2 years, 9 months ago

Welcome aboard, Conner! He is a great catch and we should have his target shooting services for 4 years!

Can't wait to see him in a jersey!

hardwork1998 2 years, 9 months ago

great job coach and staff signing such great talent

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 9 months ago

Not that any of the above posters know this but Self's biggest and primary guard he was recruiting is now off the table. J'Mychal Reese is in all probability going to commit to A&M as they have hired his dad as a coach. Reese was THE guard get and now that he unavailable Frankamp can have his schollie.

Jaminrawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Awesome. This kid is a scoring machine. Hudy will get his strength up to Div. 1 levels.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

"Insider Scoop on Why Self Signed Frankamp in Addition to Conner Being Able to Ball:"

Conner already has a receding hair line and Self is rumored to be hoping Conner can take the media scrutiny off whether Self wears a wall to wall, or not!

IrishDaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

another un-athletic white boy, what a joke...............

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

KU is on track to become America's team in basketball.

Its going to be hated all over the country the same way the old Dallas Cowboys were, because it is getting it done and bowing down to no one. It is carrying the colors into the face of a world that that has seen everything compromised. There will be good teams at Dook and Aridzona, and West Thug VU, and HackCLA, UConnvicts, and UKonnvicts, and ArmPitt, and they will make ordinary people more and more ashamed to be basketball fans. But when the chips are down. When the game needs to be saved from the media-sports-gaming industrial complex, yet again, the Father of All Basketball Programs is going to be coming on strong. Its going to be America's Team wearing the red and blue with some white trim to drive the point home. Its going to be beating hype-stars with great teams. Its going to be getting more out of what it has than the other teams. If you don't want to be a part of this, then you don't get it. And if you don't get it, then you're not a Jayhawk.

KU, and Baja KU, and Florida, are the only major programs left on the map trying to do it the right way. Buzz Williams is trying at Marquette. Maybe Kruger and Billy will at OU and TTech. But that is slim pickings. Maybe Beillin at UM.

Go to OU and lay down with Thad Matta?

Go to Zona and lay down with Miller?

Choose those other places and you will get to the L, same as at KU, but you might as well buy a flea collar

Loyalty cuts both ways in the Ten-Plus Decade, or it lays down with shoe whores, and AAU pimps, and flea collar programs.

Sign soon, because we want you more than anyone else...

Or we'll sign someone who wants to be a Jayhawk.

First come, first serve.

Crimson and Blue.

Ad astra per aspera.

Listen to your heart.

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

What a great story to help deal with the summer heat!

Conner Frankamp has restored my faith in young Kansans.

Remember the old B&W pictures of KU players with a wrap draped over their shoulder diagonal across their chests and a big "K" on the wrap?

I remember them back in the day of Delvy Lewis and Jo Jo White. Or was it farther back than that? Whatever...

Conner Frankamp already looks like a guy who should be photographed with one of those.

He will be an exceptional KU player.

He oozes Jayhawk right now.

Perry, you're next.

And remember, Braeden and Jamari are going to outweigh you by at least 20 pounds next year.

Don't come to KU thinking its guarantied PT.

And don't wait either.

We're back to operating on a first come, first serve basis.

The guys that want to be Jayhawks the most and sign first, are the guys that become Jayhawks. The rest look back and wonder, "what was I thinking?"

Sitting around and gaming coaches and programs is so last year.

The writing is on the wall. The OAD experiment is soon to die. Waiting to see if its death lets you go pro straight out of bubble gum ball may seem smart. It isn't. You need Self and Manning and Hudy. You need KU. KU needs you.

I would rather have you, Perry, than any other guy out there remaining, including Kaleb. You are a Kansan; that counts huge. But you have the talent, too.

But this ain't the Naught Decade anymore.

No more dressing up pretend and saying "mission accomplished," I'm a OAD.

We have just seen two of the supposedly best OAD prospects in the last 5 years. Good? Yep. Good enough to average 30 mpg? Nope.

Its now about manning up...about being part of a team. Ask the Twins and Cole Aldrich.

Its about who wants to make things work.

Not about who just wants to play America and feed the media-sports-gaming industrial complex.

milehighhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Gotta love smart guards who can score - welcome to KU!

milehighhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Gotta love smart guards who can score - welcome to KU!

mikehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

OK. Let's get the other standout from Wichita. Can't let top flight talent leave Kansas or go to KSU. There aren't many, and of those there are, we need to get them. We could really use a great shooter who likes to take a pressure shot.

martyks 2 years, 9 months ago

You got to love the stretch for faulty reasoning here by trying to make it sound like this kid was offered a scholy by a second rate university, therefore, he is second rate. So, after receiving offers from Oklahoma and UCLA, does his skill set go down after Death Valley Commuter College offers? Let's not belittle the fool for trying to belittle Frankamp. Let's, instead, attempt to educate. You see, Rusty, when a big time school offers a kid a scholarship, everyone below that level, you can be rest assured, would give their eye teeth for him, but most of them know they are out of the running by that time, not worthy, and they don't waste their time. Before the big time schools offer, they might offer in hopes of a Larry Bird type acceptance. Next chapter, we will discuss how a bill becomes a law. Class dismissed.

Lance Hobson 2 years, 9 months ago

This guy is a light's out shooter! What a great day, he'll be our future and his threes will lead us to the Final 4. He's still young and growing, and he's only going to get better the next couple of seasons. What a steal!

ahpersecoachingexperlence 2 years, 9 months ago

Seiously, sounds like he'll fit in well with that crop of 3* recruits we have for 2012, too. We're allowed to drop the goals to 9.5 ft at home, right?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

it's clear the reason japan won the world cup is because all that juicy whale meat they eat!

dynamitehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

He's four inches taller and 60 lbs lighter than Sherron. He'll be fine.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Can we all calm down about the kid's size? He's not even a freakin' junior in high school yet. Let's see what his size is when he steps on campus.

In the meantime, watch him dominate Wichita for two more years.....

Edward Coan 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds cool. Another Tyrel Reed? Another good poster boy for the KU program.

actorman 2 years, 9 months ago

"If your dream is an undersized point guard with offers from Boston college and Wichita state!"

And Oklahoma and Texas and UCLA and ... But hey, never let facts get in the way of another chance to be a Negative Nancy.

CrodieBroyle 2 years, 9 months ago

someone get that man a cheeseburger

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 9 months ago

lee3022 2 years, 9 months ago

Welcome Conner. You have made a wise decision to play for the best school in the country which also happens to be in your home state. Now can you gently urge your fellow Wichita player Perry to do likewise?

In any event this is a momentous decision in your life and we are all hoping the same is true for Jayhawk basketball.

Tribehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm really surprised we offered him so early. He seems like a local kid and fan who would be willing to commit to KU later in his recruiting. Wasn't Royce a sophomore when we offered him?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

CrissaxJayhawk16 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes yes yes! See that just proves that a TRUE Kansas fan will decide to play ball at KU with little to no thinking time. Frankamp is only going to be a junior and already has committed. Now that is respectable. :) I'm very excited to see him play at KU when I'm a freshman there as well. Way to represent the class of 2013 Frankamp!

Fortesque Beagleton 2 years, 9 months ago

Lock up the local talent. Love having Kansas boys on the roster.