Originally published July 17, 2011 at 01:43p.m., updated July 18, 2011 at 12:46a.m.

Soph Conner Frankamp commits to KU hoops

Wichita North's Conner Frankamp, who will graduate in 2013, committed to the Kansas men's basketball team on Sunday.

Wichita North junior-to-be Conner Frankamp’s 16th birthday celebration Saturday night consisted of ...

• attending “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2” with parents, Karen and Marty;

• dining with his loved ones at “Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers;”

• and, oh, yes, orally committing to play basketball at Kansas University.

“It was probably my best birthday ever,” said Frankamp, a 6-foot-1, 160-pound point guard. He received a scholarship offer from Jayhawk coach Bill Self at the conclusion of his June 30 unofficial visit to KU.

“It’s crazy. It really is a dream come true. I am a pretty big Kansas fan. I have been my whole life. I’m just really excited to be going there,” added Frankamp, who averaged 27.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game his sophomore season at North.

Frankamp phoned Self with the good news Saturday night while KU’s ninth-year coach was attending a surprise 50th-wedding anniversary party for Self’s parents in Oklahoma.

“Coach Self said he’s really happy to have me and said I’ve been playing really well,” said Frankamp, who has had a stellar summer for KC Pump N Run after averaging 8.6 points and 3.6 assists for the gold-medal-winning United States team at the FIBA Americas U16 Championships in Cancun.

Frankamp — he scored a Wichita City League-record 52 points last season in an 87-81 double-overtime loss to Wichita Northwest — chose KU over Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA, Boston College, Kansas State, Missouri, Wichita State and others.

It’s believed Rivals.com’s No. 65-rated player in the Class of 2013 would have received many offers in the months to come.

“It’s been my dream my whole life. I might as well get it over with, go ahead and do it,” Frankamp said of his reason for committing halfway through his high school career. “I used to follow (former KU/current NBA guard) Kirk Hinrich a lot. He was probably one of my favorite players. I’ve always liked the team in general, the players and coaches.”

At this stage of his development, Frankamp is best known for his ability to shoot — and score.

The slender guard, who, at the age of 5 scored 18 points in his first-ever Biddy Basketball League game, scored 25 points as a high school freshman in his Wichita City League debut (against state champion Heights). As a sophomore, North’s leading scorer hit 52 percent of his two-point tries, 46 percent of his threes and 89 percent of his free throws.

“He was playing — and shooting — when he was 2, 3 years old,” said Frankamp’s dad, Marty, who is Wichita North’s junior varsity coach. “I think he’s obviously a really good shooter. He can get his shot any time he wants. He’s getting better on defense. As he gets stronger, he gets better.

“I think he’s actually a better passer than scorer, (but) he has to score so much for us, that’s what people know him as. I think he’s an all-around guard who can play the 1 or the 2. He obviously has to get bigger and stronger and work on his defense. Most kids that are younger need to work on that.”

Frankamp works with a personal strength and conditioning coach — Marty’s former basketball teammate at Coffeyville Community College, Roy Birch.

Marty, meanwhile, is Conner’s personal hoops coach in the gym.

On most days, the goal is for Conner to make between 300 and 400 shots before hitting the showers.

“I think to be as good as you can be, you have to put in extra work,” Conner Frankamp said. “I have a lot to improve on. I have to keep working hard on everything.”

He’s happy to do that while hoping to lead North to a state title or two the next two seasons.

Then it’s off to his favorite university.

“This is a relief to have a dream come true and just happiness that it is actually happening,” Frankamp said.

This, that

Frankamp has had a basketball in his hands a long time. “Ever since I could walk, I grew up loving it,” he said of basketball. “I practice every day to see where it takes me.” ... In discussing his 52-point game, he said: “It was pretty crazy, surreal. It would have been a lot better if we won.” ... Frankamp was tempted to commit to KU on his unofficial visit. “When I left campus, I was pretty sure I was going to go there. Just being in there (Allen Fieldhouse) is amazing. It seemed like the place for me to be. Coach Self is a great guy, great coach as well. He knows how to win and I think that is very important in determining where I want to go.” ... Conner’s older brother, Kevin, played at both Wichita Trinity Academy and Wichita North. ... The Frankamps will officially celebrate Conner’s commitment at dinner tonight out on the town. “We usually go to Olive Garden or P.F. Chang’s or somewhere like that. Conner was kind of nervous (Saturday before calling Self) and not very hungry so we went to Freddy’s. We’ll probably go out (tonight) ... now he can relax a bit,” his dad said ... Frankamp attended KU’s Elite camp two summers ago.

Comments

hawk316 3 years, 3 months ago

I really like this comment from his dad:

"I think he’s actually a better passer than scorer..."

I think this kid will do just fine.

Congratulations, Conner! Welcome to the Jayhawk family!

CrissaxJayhawk16 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes yes yes! See that just proves that a TRUE Kansas fan will decide to play ball at KU with little to no thinking time. Frankamp is only going to be a junior and already has committed. Now that is respectable. :) I'm very excited to see him play at KU when I'm a freshman there as well. Way to represent the class of 2013 Frankamp!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperlence 3 years, 3 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

6 ft 160 sounds like a turner gill linebacker recruit!!!

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 3 months ago

What's your deal moron? Seriously? Shut the hell up and get the hell off this site and don't come back. Stupid _ idiot.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

The kid just turned, what, 16? You are seriously commenting about his size??

Kid can light it up. I guarantee more size will come as he becomes an adult.

Great commit.

Matt1958 3 years, 3 months ago

I remember people knocking Iverson for his size too. How did that work out?

Tribehawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm really surprised we offered him so early. He seems like a local kid and fan who would be willing to commit to KU later in his recruiting. Wasn't Royce a sophomore when we offered him?

lee3022 3 years, 3 months ago

I do not believe coach Self plays games with recruits. He tells it like it is and if he wants a player he offers, desiring him to accept.

Although he has two commits for next year and likely two more to hand out, Perry Ellis remains the priority and the final will not be used until after March next year.

I have never believed in the rankings and coach consistently states the same. He challenges to nation each year with lower ranking players because he sees more in them then the pundits who write about them. Coach has the advantage of talking with their former coaches, seeing their progression and focusing on a few who meet his criteria while the writers must try to encompass the entire field. Just reading in CBSSports.com about two writers (Parrish and Goodman) who shadowed two coaches for the first part of the July evaluation period makes clear the impossibility of one or two men being able to properly order the entire field.

lee3022 3 years, 3 months ago

Whoops, now see that Conner is 2013. So coach still has three to give.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 3 months ago

Your assessment about the rankings is dead on.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

If you want the kid, offer. No point in waiting. If you are not sure, then wait, but clearly Self is interested. He can light it up and will only improve over the next two years.

Why wait and take a chance at losing him (chances are he will probably get bigger, start setting scoring records, and his ranking will shoot way up) when he is obviously someone Self wants? Again, when you are interested, you offer. Simple as that.

Tribehawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I respectfully disagree. That strategy might work well for lower ranked programs or for elite recruits who will be fielding offers from every blue chip school. I don't think it's a good general policy for Kansas to give out really early schollies to local kids we could easily get later in their recruiting when more of the question marks surrounding them are answered. I think Conner sounds really promising and I love his passion to be a jayhawk. But right now, his situation is nearly a carbon copy of Royce's. I trust Coach Self, but I wonder if he's too quick to pull the trigger on some of these kids because he just figures that if they don't work out, they will transfer. I see no reason to give a kid like this at least one more year to prove himself and see if he's going to grow.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I understand your point. I guess I just have a different philosophy on it. Agree to disagree.

Rock Chalk.

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 3 months ago

No, actually, he's right. And if you get stupid about recruiting and think that the 15th ranked PG in 2013 according to Scouts, for those of you dip(sticks) who get sooooo hung up on rankings, isn't good enough for KU, then you need to pull your head out. Self liked him, thought he would be a good fit, he can obviously score and is apparently a smart kid, so shut up and trust the decisions of those MUCH smarter and more informed than you. Have you seen the kid play?

Sorry, Tribe, I reread your post and you're not being disrespectful and you are clearly a thoughtful Jayhawk fan, but I just get tired of hearing about how we should only be offering scholarships to 5 star recruits.

Unless your paying for players, every coach will tell you that recruiting is hard work. You don't just sit back until the last minute and wait for "blue chip" recruits to fall in your lap. When you see a kid you like, there's no reason to wait. Why play poker? Just offer him a scholarship and hope he accepts. If you don't like him, then don't offer a scholarship. Self obviously liked him.

Tribehawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Mich, I understand where you're coming from and I share your frustration with fans who have been screaming armageddon because of the last recruiting class. I'm not one of them. We will be fine. Self is a master at his craft and he obviously knows what he's doing. That said, no coach bats 1.000 with every recruit, Self included. I happen to see a lot similarities between Conner and Royce. Both were ranked about the same at this point in their H.S. careers, both were smaller guards who could shoot the lights out, both were offered by KU at about the same time, and both were expected to grow after they committed to us. Royce never really did. (If I remember correctly, people thought he was going to add a lot more inches because of the height of his father). Royce's experience makes me a little gun shy about offering early to a prospect that seems to be cut from the same cloth. Offering early to a kid like this, who would likely be willing to accept an offer in a year or two from us anyway, seems a bit unecessary to me. Obviously, Coach Self has his reasons: I'm just trying to respectfully share my own thoughts on the matter in a public forum for fans where reasonable minds may differ.

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 3 months ago

You make a good point and I respect you opinion.

Robin Smith 3 years, 3 months ago

Remember that it is essential that KU wins on any top level in-state recruit, so in that way it differs greatly from the Royce situation.

Also since he's a junior-to-be, I believe there will be time before he's able to sign his LOI so there is time to see what develops.

Frankamp is a player we genuinely want just on skill alone. He's also an in-state player and son of a coach. He likely would have been getting more schollie offers from other big time programs (besides the ones already mentioned)

lee3022 3 years, 3 months ago

Welcome Conner. You have made a wise decision to play for the best school in the country which also happens to be in your home state. Now can you gently urge your fellow Wichita player Perry to do likewise?

In any event this is a momentous decision in your life and we are all hoping the same is true for Jayhawk basketball.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 3 months ago

Funhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

That's a shame because Conner Teahan had a good head of hair.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 3 months ago

Not sure what the heck I said that was in violation of the users agreement. Given comments allowed on these boards there seems to be a major disparity in enforcement of this agreement.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Boulder, I don't know what is going on tonight. I don't remember what you posted, but I know it wasn't removal worthy at all. Apherse got removed above as well, and, while apherse is usually a gigantic tool (except for the times when you are funny, apherse, in which case I would say, nice work), he said nothing that warranted removal, IMO. Is someone having a little fun with the board rats on a Sunday evening?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Wth! "living the dream, welcome Conner" was taken down. Ummmmmmmmm that's a complement ya jack wagons.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, that removal made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Appeal!!

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

"If your dream is an undersized point guard with offers from Boston college and Wichita state!"

And Oklahoma and Texas and UCLA and ... But hey, never let facts get in the way of another chance to be a Negative Nancy.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

No there is a troll among us that thinks he is funny. He doesn't understand the rule that basketball is off limits. I can see a scene developing where the two of us are standing side by side and the other regular posters must decide who is the real ahperse and kill the other one. The gun is pointed at me until I shout "mulaza is azalum spelled backwards,"

Jared Grillot 3 years, 3 months ago

I just assumed we would yell "Turner Gill!" and see which one of you flinches first.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Can we all calm down about the kid's size? He's not even a freakin' junior in high school yet. Let's see what his size is when he steps on campus.

In the meantime, watch him dominate Wichita for two more years.....

dynamitehawk 3 years, 3 months ago

He's four inches taller and 60 lbs lighter than Sherron. He'll be fine.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

it's clear the reason japan won the world cup is because all that juicy whale meat they eat!

ahpersecoachingexperlence 3 years, 3 months ago

Seiously, sounds like he'll fit in well with that crop of 3* recruits we have for 2012, too. We're allowed to drop the goals to 9.5 ft at home, right?

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 3 months ago

Who's your team, anyway? C'mon now, don't be shy. If you weren't such a biatch, you'd own up to who your school is so we could pull out the measuring stick and see how your scholl measures up to KU. Chicken shiat.

Stephen Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

It's a 13 yr old MU or KSU troll. When it gets to be 9pm his mommy will make him go to bed.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

This guy is a light's out shooter! What a great day, he'll be our future and his threes will lead us to the Final 4. He's still young and growing, and he's only going to get better the next couple of seasons. What a steal!

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

You got to love the stretch for faulty reasoning here by trying to make it sound like this kid was offered a scholy by a second rate university, therefore, he is second rate. So, after receiving offers from Oklahoma and UCLA, does his skill set go down after Death Valley Commuter College offers? Let's not belittle the fool for trying to belittle Frankamp. Let's, instead, attempt to educate. You see, Rusty, when a big time school offers a kid a scholarship, everyone below that level, you can be rest assured, would give their eye teeth for him, but most of them know they are out of the running by that time, not worthy, and they don't waste their time. Before the big time schools offer, they might offer in hopes of a Larry Bird type acceptance. Next chapter, we will discuss how a bill becomes a law. Class dismissed.

ahpersecoachingexperlence 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, guess I missed the part of the article that mentions offers from Duke, UConn, and Kentucky. UCLA's not bad, and OU almost made the tournament this year.

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 3 months ago

Mmm hmm. Still waiting for you to be a man and tell us all who your school is. If you weren't such a chicken shiat biatch, you'd just say it. No?

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

UCLA is Not Bad????

Your comments about this alone indicate your knowledge level of basketball amongst everything else... Once again (as everyone of your other posts indicate) you have exposed yourself as a clown that attempts to talk trash, yet doesn't know what he is talking about.

Your attitude would be respectable if you had valid points behind your comments, but clearly you are wannabe troll (like a character outta SNL) ... yet trolls usually end up getting people worked up, whereas your comments are laughable! I'd be correct in saying that your time at attempting to add misery to others has failed... not only have you failed at life by trying to talk trash on msg boards, but your attitude is equally as hilarious, so keep it coming imposter. Good luck getting anywhere (except making real fans with a fully functioning brain laugh at you, jester) with an attitude like that. So in review... ur social skills lack, your mental skills lack even ur hating is bogus! If ur thing doesnt work, go see a doctor! They maybe able to get u something that will help u! If not, keep the laughs coming.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

Larry Bird went to IU first, then landed at ISU.

mikehawk 3 years, 3 months ago

OK. Let's get the other standout from Wichita. Can't let top flight talent leave Kansas or go to KSU. There aren't many, and of those there are, we need to get them. We could really use a great shooter who likes to take a pressure shot.

milehighhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Gotta love smart guards who can score - welcome to KU!

milehighhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Gotta love smart guards who can score - welcome to KU!

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

What a great story to help deal with the summer heat!

Conner Frankamp has restored my faith in young Kansans.

Remember the old B&W pictures of KU players with a wrap draped over their shoulder diagonal across their chests and a big "K" on the wrap?

I remember them back in the day of Delvy Lewis and Jo Jo White. Or was it farther back than that? Whatever...

Conner Frankamp already looks like a guy who should be photographed with one of those.

He will be an exceptional KU player.

He oozes Jayhawk right now.

Perry, you're next.

And remember, Braeden and Jamari are going to outweigh you by at least 20 pounds next year.

Don't come to KU thinking its guarantied PT.

And don't wait either.

We're back to operating on a first come, first serve basis.

The guys that want to be Jayhawks the most and sign first, are the guys that become Jayhawks. The rest look back and wonder, "what was I thinking?"

Sitting around and gaming coaches and programs is so last year.

The writing is on the wall. The OAD experiment is soon to die. Waiting to see if its death lets you go pro straight out of bubble gum ball may seem smart. It isn't. You need Self and Manning and Hudy. You need KU. KU needs you.

I would rather have you, Perry, than any other guy out there remaining, including Kaleb. You are a Kansan; that counts huge. But you have the talent, too.

But this ain't the Naught Decade anymore.

No more dressing up pretend and saying "mission accomplished," I'm a OAD.

We have just seen two of the supposedly best OAD prospects in the last 5 years. Good? Yep. Good enough to average 30 mpg? Nope.

Its now about manning up...about being part of a team. Ask the Twins and Cole Aldrich.

Its about who wants to make things work.

Not about who just wants to play America and feed the media-sports-gaming industrial complex.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

KU is on track to become America's team in basketball.

Its going to be hated all over the country the same way the old Dallas Cowboys were, because it is getting it done and bowing down to no one. It is carrying the colors into the face of a world that that has seen everything compromised. There will be good teams at Dook and Aridzona, and West Thug VU, and HackCLA, UConnvicts, and UKonnvicts, and ArmPitt, and they will make ordinary people more and more ashamed to be basketball fans. But when the chips are down. When the game needs to be saved from the media-sports-gaming industrial complex, yet again, the Father of All Basketball Programs is going to be coming on strong. Its going to be America's Team wearing the red and blue with some white trim to drive the point home. Its going to be beating hype-stars with great teams. Its going to be getting more out of what it has than the other teams. If you don't want to be a part of this, then you don't get it. And if you don't get it, then you're not a Jayhawk.

KU, and Baja KU, and Florida, are the only major programs left on the map trying to do it the right way. Buzz Williams is trying at Marquette. Maybe Kruger and Billy will at OU and TTech. But that is slim pickings. Maybe Beillin at UM.

Go to OU and lay down with Thad Matta?

Go to Zona and lay down with Miller?

Choose those other places and you will get to the L, same as at KU, but you might as well buy a flea collar

Loyalty cuts both ways in the Ten-Plus Decade, or it lays down with shoe whores, and AAU pimps, and flea collar programs.

Sign soon, because we want you more than anyone else...

Or we'll sign someone who wants to be a Jayhawk.

First come, first serve.

Crimson and Blue.

Ad astra per aspera.

Listen to your heart.

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

Yep. I agree with this with one small tweak, bate... I was 18, living in West Chicago and learned I was goin to KU. I saw 2 Jayhawk fans, explained I was headed to KU AND they told me "It will get in your veins and NO one else will understand"... I told them I was a big fan and everything, but what they said was the complete truth. I did cheer for the Hawks, but "it" (meaning: bleeding C&B) didn't get into my blood til I went and experienced it" (one game as a Jayhawk is all it took)...

I went and saw some other friends, in Iowa, U of Illinois-Chicago, UC Santa Cruz and DePaul... and almost went to U of IL-Chi. I then realized that woulda been a terrible mistake. It took about 3 months til I knew I was at a spot that blew every one of those places out of the water.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

"Insider Scoop on Why Self Signed Frankamp in Addition to Conner Being Able to Ball:"

Conner already has a receding hair line and Self is rumored to be hoping Conner can take the media scrutiny off whether Self wears a wall to wall, or not!

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Addendum: Self is reputedly now favoring ballers with receding hair lines.

Funhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Roy recruited Drew. That turned out pretty well. You can always wear a hair band on the court. And, young German Kansans with receding hair lines are virile. Remember how those few high school guys already going bald had it all together. They seemed more mature.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Addendum 2: Perry Ellis is reputedly high, high, high on Self's list, because Perry also has a very high hair line. :-)

Jaminrawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Awesome. This kid is a scoring machine. Hudy will get his strength up to Div. 1 levels.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 3 months ago

Not that any of the above posters know this but Self's biggest and primary guard he was recruiting is now off the table. J'Mychal Reese is in all probability going to commit to A&M as they have hired his dad as a coach. Reese was THE guard get and now that he unavailable Frankamp can have his schollie.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Didn't the NCAA put in place a rule to stop hires like this a couple of years ago?

J'Mychal Reese.

Shoulda been J'Jayhawk Reese.

If a player would rather go to College Station, than Lawrence, to A&M rather than KU, well, that young man must be an early victim of genetically modified grains.

We shouldn't wish him well.

We should get him an appointment with a doc.

J'Michael...j'decommit...j'join the J'Jayhawks now!

hardwork1998 3 years, 3 months ago

great job coach and staff signing such great talent

Mike Kendall 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow! What great news. I live in the Wichita metro area and the coverage of Conner has been outstanding due to his trip to Cancun. I know a lot of Wichita State fans/alumni are bummed about this bit of news---they'll really will be bummed if we get Perry Ellis. I have only seen him on the sports highlight reels but with this announcement, I will have to see him play in person. BTW, for those in the Wichita (KS) area, Conner Frankamp will be on KAKE-TV, Channel 10's Overtime Live, a 30-minute extra sports broadcast at 10:30 p.m. I can't wait to see what he has to say about Coach Self and the whole recruiting process.

Nice going, HCBS! Welcome aboard, Conner! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Got to admit this imposter (who I'm pretty sure is 100) has some good ones. If I were one for going after the basketball team, which I'm not bc I think it's cool that we compete for national championships every year with a couple of Kansas kids on the team. Along with my thoughts of the level of Kansas high school basketball being underated. I would of went with:

Maybe this kid would be a good fit with Turner and the football team. With 52 points in one game this kid will not say 4 letter words, including "pass"

gchawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Welcome aboard Conner. A smart young man who can shoot lights out is definitely worth signing early. Conner, if you do read these boards, please take the negative post with a grain of salt, we "faithfuls" are convinced that most of them are either: (1) infiltrators from other schools and/or, (2) miserable derelicts who are doomed to a life living in their mommie's basement.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

So, this kid can now get a driver's license and on the same day, his birthday, he committed to KU.

Let's see, what was my day like? Huge discovery...discovered that Five Guys opened there first location here!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

Five Guys is ok but highly over-rated and certainly over-priced. And their supposedly super healthy fries are terrible. Fries aren't supposed to be healthy.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 3 months ago

At first I was like, "what in the..." because I'd never heard of him, but, wow. Nice numbers and it's nice to have a Kansas recruit. Welcome to the team, the family and the dynasty, Conner.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice, I can't wait to talk Frankamp for 4 years! Now let's rap up Perry Ellis from Wichita, Semilore Ojeleye from Ottawa, and Willey Cauley from Olathe and we'll have a nice "Kansas Connection" for the future.

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Conner, you are a very early talent who appears to possess the best of very young instincts. KU fans are extremely excited to read that such an in-state talent will be matriculating to The Phog. If you should play the entire four years of Div. I eligibility in Lawrence, this means that we will have at least 6 years to follow your progress. Your next two seasons of school and summer play will be watched closely by the Jayhawk Nation. Obviously, you have developed skills as a polished scorer. Now, begin to focus on defense, assists, steals. You can expect to have several accomplished big men awaiting your assists in the fall of 2013. And hopefully an accomplished junior named Naadir Tharpe to help guide you through your first year of Bill Self Basketball. Welcome to the Jayhawk Family!

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps I should repeat a pressing thought, Conner. Eat, sleep, think, dream DEFENSE! Steals, disruptions, geometric angles, deadly freethrow shooting. These accomplishments will see you to major playing minutes right from the getgo.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Respectfully, REHawk, I disagree.

Ckamp: Enjoy HS. We fans want you to be great when you get to KU, and we love that you dream of playing in AFH. But you need to enjoy HS, do what your HS coach wants you to do. Help NorthWitch win a bunch of games and have fun. It's freaking HS. Enjoy it!

REHawk, he has two entire years remaining in HS. He probably hasn't even had a girlfriend yet. Let him be a kid. Let him be a HS superstar. Let him score 50 points and rock the gymnasium. And then rock the afterparty with a KU hat.

Nobody can possibly come into college ball from HS and be a defensive force anyway. It takes college coaching and college competition to get those skills honed.

lee3022 3 years, 3 months ago

Hasn't even had a girlfriend yet? Are you kidding me? With his game on TV highlights every week he must have to beat them off with a stick to get any peace.

Times have changed and girls pursue boys now. And boy do they catch them.

It is good enjoy the game no matter what level you play it. Shaq comes to mind as does Dwight Howard. You are never too old to have fun.

gardenjay 3 years, 3 months ago

I really like this type of recruit Bill. Here you have a quality player who has drive, desire, and will most probably get a decent 4-year degree. Will be looking forward to that time as a fan. :) :) :)

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree 100%. Mid level 4 star recruits, who live up to expectations add more to a program than any OAD. These players form the back the backbone of championship teams.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 3 months ago

Hey Conner! Way to Go!! Welcome to Jayhawk Nation!

I L O V E D his comments about the golden Kirk Hinrich - because KH also had a coaching dad, and look how that turned out!

Another thing, looking at his mug shot with the article, if he had dark curly hair that was a little longer, he'd even kind of look like Kirk. I LIKE IT!!!

ROCK CHALK, Conner!!

AZHawk72 3 years, 3 months ago

Welcome, Conner!

God, I love gymrats--Boschee, Reed, Frankamp.........

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Hey, KGphoto, we are not focusing here on an average kid whose best interests lie in enjoying his high school experience. This is a 16 year old Kansas superstar who attempts to "make" 300-400 shots per day before hitting the showers...a young man who possesses the early gift to be sought after by the top Div. I program in the land. Though athletic burnout is always a possibility for such young talents, this lad and his dad seem to have priorities in order. I can't imagine many 16 year olds at Wichita North enjoying their high school years more than Conner, already a gold medal participant in age-group FIBA world championships. However, you are astute in pointing out that my advice re focus on defense might come across as somewhat untowards, as his school coaches already have his best interests at heart. And there is little doubt that his father and Bill Self will hold many conversations before Conner arrives in uniform at The Phog. I would just like to see him position himself to play major minutes at KU, right from the start. Without the defense, we know that will not happen. What an exciting shooter for all of us to await!

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

I think we mostly agree, but I believe that every kid is basically the same. Conner isn't any better than any other kid, he's just really good at basketball. Other than what we see on the court, he probably is just as average as any other boy. He probably doesn't voice it much, or maybe he does and it's at home, but there are days when he just wants to drop it and go to the party. Or days when he doesn't want to think about basketball, or shoot 400 shots. He's just a kid.

I have a 15 year old boy who is a musician. He practices all the time. At school, after school, on the weekends. He's exceptional and I like to think he's not the average kid. But all parents could say that. Sometimes I have to remember to just let him be a kid. And in this type of, "My dad's the coach" environment, it can be even harder for the kid.

I also help coach my girls softball team. The head coach's daughter is under incredible stress from him. I can see it in her face, she could quit at any moment. Sometimes it just isn't any fun at all, and her performance shows it.

That's all. I still want him to be great, just not at the expense of the normal things in life. The risk of burning a kid out is just not worth it to me, and he's most likely walking the line as it is.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

"Some Signs Perry May Sign at KU"

~People wearing crimson and blue ski masks have shown up at the RV with the UNC insignia and the Carolina plates parked 24/7 outside Perry's crib and spray painted it crimson and blue.

~Perry just seen wearing crimson and blue Tom Ford designed jock.

~When Perry asked about Duke, he Freudianed, "I love the atmosphere at Allen Indoor Stadium. I really respect Coach S. Durham, Kansas, is one of the basketball meccas."

~Perry tried Carolina barbecue and wretched.

~In an interview with the Durham Daily Dook, in which Perry was asked: "How does it feel to stand on the same blocks that Jay Bilas and Christian Laettner stood on?", Perry responded, "Not as awe inspiring as standing on the same blocks that Clyde, Wilt, Danny, Shady, Cole and the Twins stood on, I'll tell ya that!"

~After water skiing behind a Cobalt on Lake Perry, he fished for slugs in a Carolina Skiff in a coastal swamp, and said, "Carolina Stiff!"

~After a visit to Aridzona, he said, "Its another 20 degrees hotter than Kansas, man, and wheat makes better bread than cactus does!"

~After a visit to HackCLA, he said, "Pauley's smaller than my high school gym. The sky looks like card board. And the air still tastes like taffy hung for a week behind a diesel bus exhaust pipe for a week!"

~After a visit to Chapel Hole and the Baja KU campus, he said, "Man, I just can't take all that cryin'!"

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Once a shooter always a shooter. Once you hit bricks........you lay bricks. I'll take shooters anyday of the week.

CRAZY4KUSPORTS 3 years, 3 months ago

This is a great get for Coach Self and the Jayhawks. The kid is only going to get bigger and stronger with 2 more years of high school ahead of him. He will end up being one of the top guards in the 2013 class when it is all said and done. Rock Chalk!!

Bear86 3 years, 3 months ago

Great Signing!! We need scorers! Good to see we are keeping the talent in state.

F-Texas!!!

Rock Chalk!!

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't change a thing you're doing Conner; enjoy high school and get ready to become a full-fledged member of the greatest extended family in the world. By the time you get here, HCBS will have the paint choked with bigs...all you'll have to is dish and fire. OK...play some D too.

RCJH!

perryellisfuturehawk 3 years, 3 months ago

This kid's got sick range. Give him two more years and he would have been heavily sought after. Great to lock him up early. I can see him having Jimmer range by the time he gets to Lawrence.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 3 months ago

+1, Perry. Having Jimmer range will catch a lot of attention from a lot of folks. Conner was a guest on "Overtime Live," KAKE-TV last night in the Wichita area. He said he is a Jayhawk to be---nothing is going to change his mind in two years. He always wanted to be a Jayhawk and now he will be living the dream. Rock Chalk!

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Why Connor Frankamp will be a stud in a KU uniform.

1) Many will try to lump Frankamp in the Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar category simply because he is from "Kansas", but I think his ceiling is much more vast than that of Reed or Morningstar.

2) Don't get me wrong, I loved Reed and Morningstar in a Jayhawk uniform and will defend them to the end, but one area where they both lacked was ball handling. If there is one thing about the "Hi-Lo".......... you have to have great guards that are comfortable in traffic getting around hedgers on the pick and roll as well as potential double teams and you also have to be comfortable handling the rock out on the perimeter so your "Big's" can get position and in the locations they need to.

3) Despite the myths some will place on Frankamp, he's very athletic (Dunks with ease), has great ball handling skills, is fearless in traffic, and is perhaps the best shooter in the 2013 class.

With that said, the "Robotic" offense we saw at times with Reed and Morningstar IMO will be erased with Connor's ability to stretch the defense with his shooting as well as his ability to keep his dribble when something breaks down.

4) Frankamp might not be flashy, but his skill set in the future is going to be a better match for the "Hi-Lo" than anybody KU had on their team last year simply because of his shooting and his ability to to keep his dribble off the pick and roll. How many times did Reed, Morningstar, Selby, EJ, and Taylor only take 2 or 3 dribbles off the pick and roll when they felt like the hedger was doing their job? "Creativity" on the perimeter with the pick and roll is part of the offense, but there wasn't much skillset or creativity IMO during and shortly after the pick and roll was being conducted on the perimeter last year.

5) Even though Frankamp is considered a scorer at the moment, once he gets to KU and he's finally able to play with legitimate big men, he's going to be a tremendous asset to Self's system. Big Men are going to love playing with this kid.

I think we are going to see a shift in Self's recruiting from now going into the future. No matter the ranking or the size of the kid, I think Self is going to go after guards that can shoot and also possess the ability to keep their dribble in traffic. Chalmers and Collins were great at this and even though Frankamp might not be as flashy, I think he has the potential to shoot, keep his dribble, and get into the lane to set up his big guys or to set up his mid-range game.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 3 months ago

Shaw--

Well said--I was focused on every word you said. I agree with you "about Conner's ball handling and working in the Hi-Lo." He has added a no-look pass in his ability to get the rock to the bigs. If I was a big at KU, I would be ready for a pass from Conner, if he was on the floor, because the ball could come your way at any time. Nice analysis, Shaw---thanks for your post.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree that Conner "The Natural" is not a Reed or Morningstar simply because he can shoot. Morningstar never really developed a good 3-pt shot and Reed didn't come through when we needed big shots. That said, I can tell you that quicker guards have shown the ability to drive around Frankamp, so there is come concern with his atheticism on the defensive side. That's ok, he's a sophomore and will get there, and maybe he's still growing.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

It's high school! Every kid has trouble on the defensive side in high school.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Morningstar and Reed played 20-30mpg on two straight 30+ win teams. Outside of the '08 ring team players that won a ring one season, who won more games than Morningstar and Reed and the Twins and Tyshawn in a two year stretch of playing 20-30mpg?

How many other KU teams have won 30+ games two seasons in a row.

:-)

We would be exceptionally lucky if Conner Frankamp were to be anywhere near as good as either Morningstar, or Reed were. If he proves to be a better player capable of winning, say, 30+wins for three straight seasons, Conner Frankamp is going to be one of KU's all time greats.

Morningstar and Reed got it done.

kufan2011 3 years, 3 months ago

Frankamp doesn't have near the speed, quickness, leaping ability, size or strength of Reed and doesn't have the size, strength and defensive ability of Morningstar. When he plays elite players, instead of the players he racks up stats against in high school, he is a nice player that has a marginal impact on the game. Check out his summerball stats against good competition and there is a glaring difference between summerball and winterball.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

All I have to do is look at his stats at the 16U USA Championship squad and figure out that he's a winner.

Note: Individual stats don't matter when you play on good teams. As long as you get the "W" that's all that matters.

By the way, I would like to see those stats. Let's also remember that stats are based on the minutes of production one makes in a game.

kufan2011,

You appear right about him in regards to Reed.

You appear right about him in regards to Morningstar.

But you can say this about most any player you compare any player to.

Mario Chalmers wasn't as strong as Jo Jo White. He didn't have Jo Jo's cat like quickness, etc., etc.

Similarly, Jo Jo wasn't as good of a clutch shooter as Chalmers. Jo Jo lost his cool in a big tourney game and squeezed one from out of bounds, where as Chalmers made The Shot. Chalmers never seemed to gum up a team by dribbling too much, the way Jo Jo some times did. Chalmers seemed to keep a team flowing, etc., etc.

Pick any two players and you crit one for what he lacks of another, and vice versa.

Regarding Frankamp's summer numbers, he seems to fare well against good competition. I don't see where you are coming from on that.

Regardless, Frankamp is a different kind of player, just as Reed and Morningstar were different kinds of players than RR and Chalmers.

Frankamp is a traditional, small PG. They have their strengths and weaknesses just as all other players do.

We haven't had one like him for a long, long time. Sherron was short, but he was wider and stronger than any KU PG ever. Frankamp does not seem born to punish power forwards around the rim the way Sherron dared to do.

Boeshee was short, but he was pretty stocky, too, and his feet weren't nearly as quick as Frankamp's probably are. Maybe Frankamp doesn't have Boeshee's crazy range either.

For a short, skinny point guard, you probably have to go back to early Roy, or Larry, maybe even back to Ted.

I can't help but recall Delvy Lewis, but Frankamp's probably quite a bit quicker that Lewis was.

We have grown used to either shorter, power guards, like Aaron Miles and Sherron, or taller ones like RR, Chalmers, Tyshawn and now Elijah.

The skinny on Frankamp seems to be that he is one of those natural athlete types that just has a sixth sense about anticipation, competition and play, plus a great stroke. Every coach likes a guy, or two like that on his team, especially if he'll be around 4 years.

Some little guys are such great athletes they can overcome their lack of height, if they've got a gun.

Frankamp seems to be that kind of player, based on commentary so far.

Let's hope so.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Please don't forget 3 of the all-time greats in Adonis Jordan, Cedric Hunter and Kevin Pritchard.

LaJHawk666 3 years, 3 months ago

Just to double-check, you've seen him dunk? And by "with ease" you mean you've seen it repeatedly with your own two eyes and not once on some high-light reel?

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

Look closely: OU was recruiting him hard and put Conner through their timed 3-pt shot drill during a visit. Their best shooters usually get about 35 shots off in that time and make around 30. Conner took 49 shots and made 45. He's a sophomore. The Natural.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Are you sure those aren't FT's? Those are some pretty ridicoulous percentages for 3 point shooting.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

45 out of 49??

If those are actually 3 pt drill stats -- and not FTs as Shaw suggests.... sweet merciful crap.....

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

Better get off those free throws as fast as you can! They might block it otherwise... how and why would they time the amount of free throws u put up and or make? Come on, use your brain... that's sad to an outsider questioning how intelligent we are as a basketball fan base as well as intelligence as a school... Make us proud fellow Jayhawks... Think!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

The question wasn't about whether it was timed, but rather if the stats were mixed up.

But thanks for being a d-bag anyway!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

Nope, these were three-pointers. OU and everyone else doesn't care about free throws. The guy just has a very quick release and is extremely accurate.

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

Ya, cuz u know schools wanna see how fast you can shoot FTs...as it is very important to get off free throw as fast as possible??? Really? Critical thinking, or reasoning helps there, shaw.

kufan2011 3 years, 3 months ago

This kid is a savvy player that makes good decisions and has a very good shot with a fairly slow release. I saw the kid play for Pump N Run in several tournaments last year and he is as big as he's going to get. Hasn't grown a bit in the past year. He can of course get stronger and possibly a little quicker with the right strength and conditioning program.

The competition he plays in high school is nowhere near as tough as he plays in summer ball and whenever I saw an athletic player guard him, he had a lot of difficulty getting to the hole or getting his shot off. Nice player, but unless he gets a lot quicker, stronger and a much quicker shot release he has no shot at playing the 1 or 2 for significant minutes. He is Conner Teahan minus 5 inches and 50 pounds.

ahpersecoachingexperlence 3 years, 3 months ago

Careful 2011...this basketball crowd is a touchy bunch. If you want to make negative comments better stick to the football articles!

kufan2011 3 years, 3 months ago

Not negative at all, just calling it like I've seen it. Fun player to watch because he rarely makes mistakes, but against higher level athletes, he has nowhere near the same impact on the game offensively and struggles defensively. If he gets quite a bit quicker and stronger, even if he doesn't get taller, he could be a nice player in the future. He has to work on a much quicker shot release regardless. Time will tell I guess.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 3 months ago

Coaches son who already bleeds Crimson and Blue. 'Nuff said. He didn't say one thing I disagree with - except maybe that he eats at Olive Garden but hey, I live in NYC and am Italian so I have had a decent bowl of pasta in my day. At worst he is Brady but perhaps he turns out to be Kirk!? Why not be excited now about the potential here!

RCJHGKU

Mike Kendall 3 years, 3 months ago

There will always be someone critical of a recruit coming into the program, no offense, 2011. Frankamp even admitted that he needs to improve and work harder on his defense. The bottom line though, is a lot of respectable programs wanted him, including the Jayhawks, and KU has him. We can all agree that HCBS is a pretty darn good evaluator of basketball talent.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Reed was 6'3" tall with a 42 inch vertical.

It took him a full two years to defend at the pace of D1.

It took him a full four years to really get strong enough in the upper body that he could hang tough with the animals.

Frankamp will certainly take two years to get up to D1 speed and strength.

Because he is so small and light, he will look better making mistakes than the heavier, taller Tyrel. His recovery speed will be faster and that always makes little guys look better sooner. But, they get burned just the same as the bigger guys until they figure out D1 speeds and acquire the strength needed.

KUfanInFlorida 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't why some people questioning his size. He is only Sophomore in high school. I think he should be a great player for KU in the future.

Hopefully, Ellis will commit soon as well.

LaJHawk666 3 years, 3 months ago

Someone said he won't grow any more, but don't kids usually grow an inch or two from age 16-18? It's been a while.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to compare players, even of the same size, but I decided to look up Jimmer and he was listed as 6' 2", which surprised me. I thought he was a couple inches taller.

I'm excited about him being a Jayhawk, but that being said, I am a bit worried that since HCBS signed BenMac he has signed five guys (not including Zach Peters), none of which are four-stars or better. Yeah, yeah, rankings don't mean everything, and I like a mix of stars and role players, but there are only so many schollies to give out and I'd really like to have room for a few more stars. I mean, Merv may turn out to be good/great in 3-4 years, but we're only guaranteed two more schollies (after Zach takes one) for 2012 (yes, I think T-Rob will go pro, too, but the schollie won't be available until April).

Also, we seem to be super-loaded with PFs while still trying to get Ellis. Something's gotta give...

RCJH

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Let's hope we maintain Tyrel's and Brady's 30+ wins with Conner and Naadir pushing the ball upcourt.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

A lot of persons don't seem to grasp the kind of excellence implied by consecutive 30+win seasons.

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

He contributed fine apparently (as written in the article above)... His team played (and won) the FIBA'S 16 and under Championship... which he was playing on an AAU team... I'm certain he was and has played against D1 talent.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he will start looking like Bobby Hurley with a J? Or maybe Adonis Jordan with a J.

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

Adonis Jordan? He was not a very good shooter if you recall. He worked hard once he got here, but he had few, if any offensive skills and couldn't create his own shot. Good defense, ran the team well, ran hard, quick, all those things... offensive threat? Sorry.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

That was exactly my point.

Adonis Jordan with a J.

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

Or he could look like someone he actually looks like? Maybe someone who shoots the ball? Why pick someone out who can't shoot and say he might be like him only different? LOL Aren't there good shooting players out there for you to throw up as an example instead of... oh never mind.

gardenjay 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but he looks like a good listener. What more can you ask from an already super b-ball player?

Well, OK.... maybe he can help increase the work ethic on campus as well....

LaJHawk666 3 years, 3 months ago

Ha! Best laugh all day! And I just watched "Talladaga Nights."

However, it's hard to be down on someone just because he wears crimson (and blue) glasses.

RCJH

wtarush 3 years, 3 months ago

I"ll remember this day!

I remember only three times within my Jayhawk (life-long) fandom when I was so enthused about signing a recruit. The first when Brandon Rush stunned us all by not following either of his brothers to some fairly unsavory programs, the second (probably not as memorable for some) when Tyrel Reed got the nod and the third...well, the third may belay my age a bit, but it was when Danny Manning first moved to Lawrence.

It makes me proud to see that a Kansas kid can set himself to the work it takes to be an elite basketball player. Getting the word from Conner has the feel of another C. Aldrich recruitment with a higher level of scoring potential. "IF" he keeps advancing at the rate he has already shown, we may not see him in the crimson and blue for four years. And "IF" he stays on his current path he will be able to afford doubles from Stone Cold Creamery rather than concretes from freddy's...

(Note: Stone Gold Creamery can kiss my.!. I would prefer freddy's any day of the week and not feel like a tool for spending hours of salary for some fool ice cream!... Just my opinion...)

Rock Chalk Conner! Go KU!

Joseph Kuebel 3 years, 3 months ago

Conner, only thing I gotta say is this: Hinrich was the man when he was here, and his first year on the Bulls he was doing his thing. Then, his progress as well as his speed and his shot % declined, seemingly his confidence just disappeared. Don't lose the killer instinct.

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

Stats do not show how the Bull's collective wheels came off. It had nothing to do with Hinrich. I have been a Bull fan since years before Jordan and watch them when I can. He was great under Skiles. Then he was left out in the next regime.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

Excuse me, Brady Morningstar was positively average in high school. Frankamp is a rock star as a sophomore and is dominating Wichita. I can't believe anyone would compare him to Brady Morningstar. And I guarantee you Conner will never get a DUI during Boot Camp.

BTW, Michael Jordon grew three inches from his freshman to sophomore years in college.

FoCoCoHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Also on the subject of growth spurts: David Robinson was 6'5'' as a first year cadet at the Naval Academy. Seven inches in less that 4 years! Match that, Connor and you'll be the small forward for the ages.

But hey, no pressure dude.

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

That positively average player still has his name up on the boards at Free State with several records. You can go there any time and see that average kid's name up there. Wow, what's up with dismissing Brady like that? Are you even a Jayhawk fan?

Lance Hobson 3 years, 3 months ago

Let me break it down. Brady chose Kansas over TCU, WSU, WVU and a few other average programs after a year at prep school, where he scored 7 points a game and wasn't ranked nationally. Conner chose KU as a sophomore ranked recruit over all marquee programs. Don't talk to me about Free State records, they aren't impressive and that school has only been around for 13 years anyway. He had a solid career but cost us the game against MSU in the sweet 16 in 2009 and was nowhere to be seen as a senior leader against VCU.

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

The kid was glue to our team. I'm so tired of people jumping on his case. He had a good career as a Jayhawk. It's just stupid to throw up this crap about Brady being average. He contributed more than any non playing basketball fan will ever figure out.