Thursday, January 27, 2011

NCAA offers Thomas Robinson support

Kansas' Markieff Morris hugs teammate Thomas Robinson before taking on Texas on Saturday, January 22, 2011 in Allen Fieldhouse. Robinson's mother passed away the night before.

The NCAA, which has been working with Kansas University athletic department officials since the death of Thomas Robinson’s mother, Lisa, late last week, issued a statement on Wednesday.

In its entirety it read:

“The NCAA offers its deepest sympathies to Thomas Robinson following the tragic events of late in his family. To help support him and his younger sister (Jayla) during this difficult time, the NCAA and University of Kansas have been working closely together to determine how best to assist during these next several days and beyond.

“As a part of this collaboration, the university requested and was immediately granted a number of waivers from general NCAA bylaws, including one that will allow the university to pay for Thomas’ younger sister to return to Lawrence with her brother.

“In addition, a waiver was granted that will allow anyone to donate to a fund created in his sister’s name to support her in the future. KU is able to cover the cost of the funeral for Thomas’ mother, as this is currently allowed under NCAA rules. The NCAA will continue discussions with the university to determine if any further assistance is needed to support Thomas and his family.”

KU associate AD Jim Marchiony reiterated coach Bill Self’s comments — that the NCAA has been quite supportive.

“The NCAA has been great acknowledging the fact this is an unusual circumstance,” Marchiony said.

Marchiony explained that though the NCAA will allow KU to pay expenses for Robinson’s sister, Jayla, to come to Lawrence, “the issue of where Jayla will live is still being discussed.”

Robinson has been speaking with legal counsel about custody issues involving his 9-year-old sister.

“People have called to offer help in any way they can from offering space in their homes to outright adoption. It has been extremely heart-warming to be reminded that people can be so generous and compassionate in a time of such need,” Marchiony said.

Snow can’t slow Jayhawks

The charter flight, carrying KU’s players, coaches and some athletic department members to Washington, D.C., for today’s funeral services of Lisa Robinson, landed safely just before 8 p.m., Eastern time, Wednesday despite heavy snow, which followed an ice storm, in D.C.

Runways were closed about a half hour after KU’s flight landed.

Lisa Robinson’s funeral services will be held at 11 a.m., Eastern time (visitation starts at 10 a.m.,) at Antioch Baptist Church (1105 50th Street NE).

The family is asking that, in lieu of flowers or other gifts, contributions be made to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund, for the benefit of Jayla, c/o SNR Denton, 1301 K Street NW, Suite 600, East Tower, Washington, D.C., 20005-3364. The Scholarship Fund will be administered by Christopher “Kit” Smith of SNR Denton US LLP and other fiduciaries selected by SNR Denton. Contributions to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund are nondeductible for tax purposes.

No full obituary for Lisa Robinson has been available for publication. KU officials indicated Wednesday that it is believed Lisa was 43, not 37 as has been reported since her death.

Comments

PickleFuzz 3 years, 2 months ago

In a year or two I'm going to remind some posters what they are posting now.It is more important to remember this, than worry about free throws and win loss.

Matt Gauntt 3 years, 2 months ago

Exceptionally nice move on the NCAA's part. Never thought I'd live to see the day that they exhibited common sense. My heart goes out to the family, especially a little girl who's life has to be in complete turmoil. Hang in there Jayla and Thomas.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank you NCAA for showing a lot of class. Thomas and Jayla. I know this is a terrible time for you but there is much love and support around for each of you.

mispay4ku 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm not worried about Saturdays game...if the guys are tired and for some reason things don't turn out in our favor, then so be it. I'll cheer them on every step of the way--on and off the court. The guys are right where they need to be and I'm proud they are with TRob in his time of need. The bond they share is amazing and that is what makes KU an amazing team. Never been more proud to be a Jayhawk than I am right now. The NCAA has been great and the fans have been great!! Thanks, gchawk for posting that, I was wondering about a card to TRob. My check is already in the mail but I'd also love to send a card (no money, of course, although I wish we could) to Thomas. I think it would be great if he got a huge outpouring of cards to show that our thoughts and prayers are with him.

ZDKC 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm curious as to why the donations are non-deductible? (ie people could donate more if they could deduct.)

gchawk 3 years, 2 months ago

If you wanted to send a card to Thomas and Jayla, send it to: KU Mens Basketball % Thomas Robinson 1651 Naismith Dr. Lawrence, Ks. 66045. Do not send any funds to this address, all memorials have to go to the Washington D.C. address listed earlier.

3 years, 2 months ago

Wow.

Yet another story that shows how precious life is. You never know when it is going to be your time. Don’t wait to tell your family you love them. Live every day to the fullest.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 2 months ago

Seems like when there's a big loss, many pour their energy into work. I see this team becoming incredibly close, focused, and absolutely pounding K-State on Saturday. I only wish we were playing Mizzery this weekend. It sure will be nice to get TRob going again down low.

GeoHawk15 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm very happy and appreciative that the NCAA is actually using common sense and doing the right thing. However, I'm not quite ready to change my negative opinion of the NCAA just yet. Historically, there are too many examples of irrational decision making and stubborn rule enforcements. Hopefully this is a sign of changes to come...

jalbig88 3 years, 2 months ago

The actual concern everyone should consider with all sincerity is that there are thousands of students at KU, and countless thousands of others at NCAA affiliated colleges around the country, any number of whom are likely to have tragedy strike at any time during the school year. So while this situation holds great significance and is genuinely commendable in many respects, it does make one wonder as to the equity of concern and support that is or might be afforded to any of the other students who experience similar tragedy in their lives during the course of their student lives, whether at KU or elsewhere. There is undoubtedly a unique precedent being set here that warrants more serious reflection and honesty about how some are regarded more highly than others.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Basketball seems pretty small right now. I'll be sending a check. Welcome to Kansas, Jayla. It won't replace what you've lost, but you will certainly find much love.

dtownhawkfan 3 years, 2 months ago

kudos to the NCAA for doing something right for once

Jocelyn Kennedy 3 years, 2 months ago

All good news, way to go NCAA!! I do hope some trips back to DC will be allowed for Jayla, lots of change for the sweet little girl.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 2 months ago

Where do we send money? Is there a bank in Lawrence that is holding the funds or do we call the endowment office or what?

jaymar74 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad the whole team went, they constantly keep on on school work via tudors with them on the road. I just hope the plane does not get snowed in in DC.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree that the NCAA finally got something right. Kudo's to them, as well as the KU athletic department for pushing the issue and making sure the entire team was able to be in DC for the funeral and to show support for Thomas Robinson and his family.

If the news about Taylor's mom taking care of TRob's sister is true, that would also be great news. I would like to here more about that if anyone has any information. I have an 8 year old daughter and just the thought of her having to go through something like this sends shivers down my spine. I can't imagine how scary it is and how much hurt Jayla is feeling.

My heartfelt prayers and best wishes go out to TRob and his sister. I am so glad he is a part of a team and an institution that can offer the support he and his sister need at this time. The athletic department has come through big time on this. I can't tell you how proud I am to be a Jayhawk!

jalbig88 3 years, 2 months ago

This is a wonderful policy that KU has initiated to start flying students and all their team or group members from all over campus to their homes for funerals. How much is this going to cost though? Has the team even been in class this week? Will they be properly rested for their big game this weekend? Let's remember, they just flew in from Colorado with no rest, and now Washington D.C. The whole team??? Daniel, 1974 Alum.

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 2 months ago

On a totally different subject, I think we should recognize how Rick Barnes and his Texas Longhorns have been the epitome of class over the last few days. With the respect they showed to KU after learning of T-Rob's struggles, and then last night the respect they showed to Oklahoma State in honoring "The Ten"...Barnes is a good coach and a great man - a true gentleman. I don't care what those ignorant bluffers in Colorado and Nebraska say, it's great to have Texas as a member of our conference.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 2 months ago

Obviously somebody over there went to see the Wizard, because the NCAA suddenly has a heart. (Had to get at least one shot in)

Bravo to the Association for making the right decision here. Current rules could have hamstrung any attempts by just about anyone to help out here, just because she happens to be related to a college athlete.

jalbig88 3 years, 2 months ago

Keith Hummel 3 years, 2 months ago

Hope TRob is able to come back for Saturday's game, and is able to play, and is in the starting lineup. It would give the fans in Allen Fieldhouse a chance to show how much we all care prior the game. It would also be nice if they showed it on TV for those of us who can't be there.

Ed Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget that is 10:00 EST so 9:00 for us midwestern folks. Another update, Tyshawn Tayor's mother is now Jayla's guardian and she is coming back with Thomas Friday! FEEL THE LOVE BABY! Thank you NCAA for showing the world your human side. But...above all, give thanks to God for the outpouring of prayers, love and support for TRob, Jayla and the Jayhawk Nation. And to show religious tolerance, for those who don't believe in God, thank you for your support for TRob, et al, through this most difficult of times.

Mike Joseph 3 years, 2 months ago

I would like to invite Jayhawk Nation to observe a moment of silence at 10:00 as the funeral service begins for Lisa Robinson. May we all offer a prayer of strength and hope for Jayla and Thomas as we all mourn the loss of their mother.

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 2 months ago

This doesn't mean Jayla will move back to Lawrence, because it may not be best for her. But it's very happy to see that the NCAA has made that option available. The NCAA is going out of its way to make allowances for such a unique and horrible situation.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, join my Facebook group supporting T-Rob.

NJHAWK 3 years, 2 months ago

My check is in the mail. I sincerely hope that many fans on this site donate for the scholarship fund, too. Every bit will help TRob and his sister.

Randy Glenn 3 years, 2 months ago

Be a good idea to have something set up so we can give to the fund at Game Day and later at the game.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 2 months ago

Even my girlfriend (who has become a Jayhawk fan) can't believe this whole situation for Thomas, it is just crazy and it makes me sad for to see a 19(?) year old kid be forced into this situation and to have to make these kind of decisions. Now the MAN that can control the court is going to have to do the same off the court. We are all praying for you TRob!!!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

Should we read anything into the sentence indicating the KU officials' correction of Lisa Robinson's age and non-availability of an obituary? Why would this be worthy of mention at this time?

SaulGood 3 years, 2 months ago

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw this. Thomas is a lucky guy to be able to receive this kind of aid...but no one can really question that he and Jayla both needed a break like this after the month from Hades. My thoughts are with the team and especially Thomas and Jayla on this undoubtedly painful, heartbreaking day. Hopefully, this will be the day that brings some small stitch of closure for the team, and I look forward to the day when these guys can all just enjoy playing some good ol' fashioned KU roundball together!

Michael Maris 3 years, 2 months ago

For all of the negative media that the NCAA has received over the years. For once, it is nice to see that NCAA decision makers have made a common sense decision that is for the good of a NCAA qualified player and his family members (both deceased and living).

Congratulations to Jim Marchiony and the Kansas Athletic Department on their successful campaign to do what is right for Mr. Thomas (T-Rob) Robinson and Jayla Robinson. They should and need to be together in these trying times.

Stephen Johnson 3 years, 2 months ago

I have bad mouthed the NCAA on a number of issues, but they did the right thing here and I won't forget it.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 2 months ago

Hope Jayla likes chocolate. Wait, what kid doesn't love chocolate, cmon Russell Stover, pony up!

TRUEBLUEKU 3 years, 2 months ago

The NCAA has scored big points with me on this one.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Great news for Jayla and Thomas! Brings a tear to my eye. Great news.

phogthedog 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank goodnes the NCAA finally is getting something right!