Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jayhawk football adds speed with linebacker Tunde Bakare

The Kansas University football team’s continued quest to add speed this offseason may have just landed its biggest burner.

Monday, Tunde Bakare, a 5-foot-11, 215-pound linebacker from Highland Community College, told Rivals.com that he planned to join the Jayhawks.

Bakare, who has been clocked as fast as 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash, chose Kansas over offers from East Carolina, Iowa State and Minnesota. USC and Boise State also showed heavy interest.

Bakare, who originally hails from Forest Park High in Woodbridge, Va., said he chose KU after visiting last weekend because of the family atmosphere.

“The players want to win at Kansas,” he told Rivals. “The players at Kansas are hungry. I’m ready to go in there and get to work.”

What exactly that work will lead to remains to be seen, but Bakare said KU defensive coordinator Carl Torbush already had a few ideas in mind.

“Coach Torbush said I would be like a hybrid for them,” Bakare said. “He liked how I could make plays. He did a great job recruiting me. He didn’t sugar-coat anything. He told me about his coaching background and how he planned on using me. He liked my speed and I plan on getting faster.”

Comments

babyjay1 3 years, 2 months ago

Just fyi... According to Rivals, we now also have a committment from Marquis Jackson, , all state WR from Arlington, TX. Picked us over offers from Ark, Neb, KSU, Baylor and Houston! Rock Chalk

panalytic 3 years, 2 months ago

Nice job Kleave. I just checked this to see if there was some news about how well we were doing with recruiting and your post helped out. I was also wondering about the discrepancy between rivals and scout and how our guys don't seem to do as well on scout.

Your wait and see approach may be warranted. I will say that I am looking at this recruiting as a positive sign. It is a large class and comparable to some of our best classes in recent years. Gill's first class looks pretty good overall. Heck, it is not even the spring yet, so we might as well be optimistic now. Maybe all these fast guys are going to add some excitement along with increased competitiveness.

Seems like it is time for some more football analysis on this site. Matt?? What do you think????

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 2 months ago

Just checked the recruiting boards. You probably already know this, but...

p>Scout.com has Kansas at 39 overall, 7th in the Big 12, but it's counting Nebraska at #5, so technically we're 6th in the Big 12-2 The last highest ranking for KU on Scout was 47 in 2006.

On Rivals we dropped one spot to #34 overall, but it has KU 6th in the Big 12 and Nebraska 4th, so technically Rivals has Kansas 5th in the Big 12-2. The last highest incoming class was 31st overall in 2009, 38th in '06, 39 in '03.

ESPN only lists the top 25, and we haven't been in ESPN's top 25 in the last 6 years. Although Colorado had a top 25 recruiting class on ESPN in 2008...so, who knows what that means.

Although I can't help but notice the drastic discrepancies between Scout and Rivals. Scout seems to judge classes and individual players harsher than Rivals. 4 stars on Rivals are 3 stars on Scout, and 3 stars are 2 etc.

For example: 2006 Rivals ranked our recruiting class 38, Scout ranked it 47 2007 Rivals 50, Scout 78 2009 Rivals 31, Scout 50.

Which really goes to show that recruiting ranking is subjective and not an exact science. But within a common system (mostly being used here is Rivals) it's neat to compare classes. Seeing as we're very well within the range of the best recruiting classes of the last decade...or longer, it's very exciting.

Now, we'll see if they can be coached, and I cannot stress enough that this remains to be seen...

hawkalumN2011 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks, Matt....for the continued KU football coverage!!

KGphoto 3 years, 2 months ago

4.4... or so, at 215 in H.S.

I'm impressed.

Alongside a healthy Huldon Tharp, he should help shrink the field by 10 yards.

Just don't move him to R.B. or some sht. Leave him at LB.

Chris Bailey 3 years, 2 months ago

Very cool! Speed! Speed! Speed! Keep em coming coach! Welcome to Jayhawk nation!

texashawk10 3 years, 3 months ago

I know ESPN isn't the greatest place to look at for recruiting, but I do so more to read the descriptions of the players along with Rivals and Scout. One interesting thing on ESPN and Scout is that they both have him classified as a Safety. With his size and speed if it is actually is in the 4.4 range, he already has the ideal size and speed to play safety at the D1 level. Then again, Huldon Tharpe was an undersized LB in 2009 and showed great potential there and LB is one of the thinnest positions on the team so we'll have to see what position he ends up at.

KCHawk81 3 years, 3 months ago

From the NCAA bylaws (http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4180-2010-2011-ncaa-division-i-manual.aspx)

Relevant passages are below. The way I'm reading it, I was wrong on initial counters--article 15.5.6.3.2 seems to apply to Berglund, Admire, and Miller. Reynolds is wavering in his commitment from what I've read, so we're at 22 (or 23 if you count Reynolds). Matt (or anyone else), do you know how many total scholarship players we have returning?

13.9.2.3 Limitation on Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings—Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, there shall be an annual limit of 28 on the number 120 of prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid from the initial signing date of the regular signing period of the National Letter of Intent through May 31. (Adopted: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10)

15.5.1.10.1 Limitation on Number of National Letter of Intent/Offer of Financial Aid Signings—Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, there shall be an annual limit of 28 on the number of prospective student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid from the initial signing date of the regular signing period of the National Letter of Intent through May 31. (Adopted: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10)

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received.

redlegger 3 years, 3 months ago

“The players at Kansas are hungry. I’m ready to go in there and get to work.”

Great attitude - check Great speed - check Great fundamentals - check

Not only can Tunde (Akintunde) hit, but he takes great angles, knows how to wrap-up the ball carrier, and seems to create turnovers. Can't wait to see him in action with a Jayhawk uniform on!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

4.35 at LB.

Sick. Put on some weight, Mr. Bakare, but keep that speed.

okiedave 3 years, 3 months ago

Happy to see Gill having good success in recruiting. I recall that was his mantra, recruit, recruit and recruit. My only grief is we are not likely to see the fruits of the recruiting until 2013. However, Tunde Bakare should be able to provide immediate impact.

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 3 months ago

Watching film of Bakare he reminds me so much of Lavonte David from NU. Comes from the same JC conference, close to the same size and can fly. Bakare though is a better hitter, the guy is sick man I'm telling you. Don't know about his cover skills but man can he hit.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Looks like that gill is recruiting a large number of recruits, maybe he thinks that he can put 18 players on the field verses their 11. With gill as coach, I wonder if that would be enough?

kureader 3 years, 3 months ago

Tait, it's great getting regular signing updates like this. Stuff like this makes me want to check the paper every day. Thanks.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

Speeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's nearly the fastest 40 in college football!!!!

That's also as fast as Bo Jackson was running as a freshman!!!!!!

(will Alexander be next? That's another 4 star stud leaning towards KU)

Keep 'em coming Coach Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Hummel 3 years, 3 months ago

I noticed this morning that Michael Reynolds (the DE from Wichita who verbally committed yesterday) is hedging his bets on his commitment to KU (see http://blogs.varsitykansas.com/blog/2011/01/24/kapauns-michael-reynolds-makes-oral-commitment-to-kansas-football/#). He was quoted as saying the following:

"I verbally committed, and I’m not totally sure I’ll stick with it,"

Why do these kids make verbal commitments if they haven't made up their minds?

Displayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Did anybody else think of Willie Pless after reading this article??? Great job HCTG and staff on this years recruiting class.

hawkfan20 3 years, 3 months ago

Swish, not quite how it works, but nice try. KU already has 3 of this year's class on campus so you can back 3 off of that number. KU should be able to squeeze a couple more guys in this class.

minnhawk84 3 years, 3 months ago

How can he get faster than 4.35? WOW! And I'll let the KU coaching staff count the scholarships; if he was on campus last weekend, he'll get a scholarship/pell grant or something.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 3 months ago

Love it - maybe we can get another d-lineman or two before this class is finished.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 3 months ago

awesome! keep it up coaches, you're doing such a great job!!!