Originally published January 24, 2011 at 09:43a.m., updated January 24, 2011 at 10:32a.m.

Self: Thomas Robinson will not make trip to Colorado with team

Self expands on Robinson's situation during Big 12 teleconference

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson pulls back for a dunk during warmups prior to tipoff against Texas on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse. Robinson is dealing with the loss of his mother, Lisa, who died Friday according to Kansas University officials.

Kansas coach Bill Self said Monday morning that sophomore forward Thomas Robinson contacted him Monday and has now decided he will return to Washington, D.C. and will not attend Tuesday's KU-Colorado game in Boulder, Colo.

"He wants to go home to be with his sister," Self told the Journal-World Monday morning. "Yesterday he thought it would be best for him to stay and go with us, but he really feels he needs to be with his sister. He'll go back (to Washington, D.C.) today. The bottom line is Thomas needs to do what he needs to do, and we're all here to support him."

Thomas' mother, Lisa, died of an apparent heart attack on Friday.

Self expanded on the situation on Monday’s Big 12 teleconference.

“He initially thought, ‘I’ll stay with the team.’ He talked to his sister. She wants him home. She needs him home. He’ll go home today,” Self said.

“Depending on when the services are, more than likely Thursday or Friday, we will all attend that, whenever that is,” he added of the team attending Lisa’s funeral.

“He’s been a rock. He’s been a rock for all of us. It’s been a pretty emotional time. He’s done remarkably well considering everything that’s going on in terms of the responsibility he’s about to take on. But certainly it’s a pretty trying time. It puts things in perspective. The world doesn’t stop moving. We have to make the most of all situations. Certainly Thomas needs to be with his sister right now. We all feel that way," Self added.

Comments

davelass 3 years, 10 months ago

Hang in there T-Rob...can't imagine what that feels like but you have a town in Kansas that will be here to support you when you get back..

John Randall 3 years, 10 months ago

More Relief than Regret, My feelings on reading that Thomas is on his way to help his 9-yr old sister through both these funerals and the massive readjustment her life must undergo. I understand he wasn't ready for that reality on Saturday, and am very proud of him for stepping up to the plate at the head of the family dinner table now.

We in Lawrence and surrounds will miss TRob as long as he is gone, but that little girl cannot be asked to do without her only remaining family.

The loss of the grandmother and grandfather in just three weeks time with only her mother's support (spiritually and materially) has now suddenly paled in comparison with losing that mother. I cannot imagine, nor do I ask others to imagine her despair when she made that phone call to her brother in the middle of the night.

Surely, we Jayhawks can become (at least shirt-tail) relatives for her, as long as she needs and wants us.

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

Be safe in your travels T-Rob... I hope this is the last of the tragedy you have to face for a very long time...

Whole thing breaks my heart.... I sure hope the NCAA see's fit to allow some people to step in and help out where they can, even if there is a strict set of rules attached to it.

Hank Cross 3 years, 10 months ago

God bless the Robinson family. That poor little girl must be sad and terrified beyond belief. TRob needs to look after his sister and should know all the Jayhawk Nation supports him and his family 100%.

TaCityHawkFan 3 years, 10 months ago

Be strong and take comfort in knowing the entire Jayhawk nation and family support you! Most of us can never imagine what you and your sister are going through and how hard this is but we are all here for you.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

Smart decision by TRob. Bless his heart.

Very, very proud Self is taking the lead in helping him guide through this process and sending a staff member. Such uncharted waters and glad to hear he is being proactive in helping TRob.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

Good for him for going back to be with his little sister in D.C. We'll do alright in Boulder, T-Rob. Don't worry about us. Take your time. God Bless---Jayhawk Nation is behind you!

wn1127 3 years, 10 months ago

Adding my best wishes and support for Thomas Robinson and his family as they move through this time of grief and loss.

packywacky88 3 years, 10 months ago

Times like these remind you how important family is. Jayhawk Basketball is the greatest show on earth, but it is just a game. The support show by the players, coaches, and the fans make me proud to be a Jayhawk. God Bless the Robinson Family.

saad007 3 years, 10 months ago

God bless you TROB! Our thoughts and prayers with you and your little sister! Please realize that the entire Jayhawk Nation is supporting you! You are an amazing young man. Stay strong buddy!

wi_jayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Praying for you T-Rob and all the guys! My thoughts are with you and your Sister! I can't imagine your pain, but thank God that you have the support of the band of brothers that is your team and your coaches!

Thomas Michaud 3 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely correct decision on T-Robs part to be with his sister and family ... My thoughts and prayers will be with them.

I also appreciate ready all the posts that have been made here on his behalf. I can only half-imagine the grief after nearly losing my own mother to a heart attack and the stress I went through on her recovery.

TRUEBLUEKU 3 years, 10 months ago

d_prowess 3 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know the family situation for his sister? I felt like I heard on the radio before the KU game against Texas that his little sister was with her dad after the death of their mother. Was that wrong, or does she have a father that is different from Robinson's?

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

From some things I've read they have different fathers and her father just recently was released from prison. Again, the prison part is what I read on message boards so the validity of that I do not know.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

TRob, you'll only miss a couple of basketball games as opposed to giving your sister and your family your presence and your strength. This is a decision I wouldn't change if it were challenged a 1000 times.

The team and Jayhawk Nation will be here whenever you get back. Your family needs YOU now.

Well done and kudos to Bill who places the good of his player's family above his team's won/loss record without hesitation.

Ben and Deandre, I hope you are reading these columns and are realizing what doesn't show up on the recruiting blogs.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 10 months ago

Quite likely the shock won't wear off for awhile and it will take some time off for his thought process to clear. Confronting this head on is the way to go. Most all of us old farts have been through these times in life that even get worse to deal with the older you get. Losing children, parents faling health & minds, it all sucks more the older you get. But you have to lean on faith-really hard to sustain your well being. Is easy particularly for young people to take a wrong turn at these junctures & TRob is blessed to have the fiendships & support he's receiving. There's not much you can say, but just being there 24-7 is paramount.

kkoenig 3 years, 10 months ago

glad there is nothing but support for Mr. Robinson, in and outside the program.

a little off topic:

Back in early January on this board, JHawk241 recommended "Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine" by George Dohrmann. Hit the local library and found the book to be an excellent read. It follows Demetrius Walker [now at New Mexico] and other players (Pe'shon Howard [Maryland], Roberto Nelson [Oregon State], Andrew Bock [Creighton]) as they move through the AAU ranks in California. Focus is on AAU "coach" Joe Keller (founder of the Adidas Phenom camps) and how the grassroots basketball system works. You get a few glimpses into the recruiting world too (Tim Floyd doesn't come off like much of a stand-up guy).

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Thx for the review. Sounds interesting. I wonder what happened to Tim Floyd? He must have made quite a bit of money in his brief pro stint. He was a Don Haskins guy out of the Iba tree. I know a person has to feed his family and can get sideways, but he seems to have lost his compass over the years. I wonder if he ever had one? He's such a good basketball coach and that Haskins tradition with he and Nolan Richardson should be an important one to college basketball and Iba Ball. Haskins seemed like a straight shooter. But Richardson and Floyd have had very rocky careers. Richardson seemed honest, but exceedingly cantankerous. Floyd seemed smooth enough, but some how to have given in to the corruption. The players he brought to ISU seemed often juco players, but I don't recall him having a big problem at ISU. Did he? Then he went tot the pros, then to USC. USC has reputedly been a corruption sink in most sports for a long time, so it is hardly surprising that he could get the money in the brief case. But it always surprised me that he was reputedly willing to be a mule and deliver it himself. I keep hoping I read a story, where Floyd has found himself again at UTEP and veered back to the straight and narrow.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

Floyd has always been a shady character. However, he's right back where he started his college coaching career........UTEP. Conference USA is the conference for the Coaches walk of shame to end their careers after a beaten career.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

UTEP: Tim Floyd

Houston: Tom Penders

UAB: Mike Davis

East Carolina: Jeff Lebo

Southern Miss: Larry Eustachy

SMU: Matt Doherty

Rice: Ben Braun

I would say that Tulsa, UCF, Memphis, and Marshall are the only schools that haven't had any coaches that haven't had any real negative publicity.

Kip_McSmithers 3 years, 10 months ago

Memphis, as in the Memphis Tigers? They've had some negative publicity. Remember Calipari just left there two years ago, right before they vacated 38 wins and a Final Four.

Kip_McSmithers 3 years, 10 months ago

kushaw, if you meant coaches at the end of their career then you're right, Memphis hasn't been a place for that. I was just going off of the final sentence in your second post. Calipari is not at the end of his career unless the NCAA finally does something to him.

hawkfan4life 3 years, 10 months ago

T-Rob, I pray for strength, consolation, and stability for you and your sister. My heart hurts so much for you buddy. Trust in the fact that God doesn't make mistakes, and that the whole Jayhawk Nation is pulling for you. Thank you so much for your kindness, handshake, and autograph earlier this school year when I met you. I wish I had more eloquent words, I am so very sorry.

REHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Hang tough, TRob. Brighter days ahead. You've not only the support of the Jayhawk Nation, but many fans of Big 12 opponents have expressed concern and best wishes. Please take a look at the posts accompanying KC Star articles.

rockchalk80 3 years, 10 months ago

TRob, I doubt many of us truly understand what you are going through (losing 3 loved ones in less than a month)... but all of us are pulling and praying for you and your little sister.

zsn 3 years, 10 months ago

At the end of the day, everything related to basketball is about "A GAME". It is supposed to be "play". What T-Rob is going through is about LIFE. It is unfortunate that many can't/won't make that distinction. A young man needs to deal with what LIFE throws at him in order to play a GAME.

It is heartening to see the most posters here as well as his friends and teammates are able to see that difference and support T-Rob during these tough times - first his grandmother, then his mom! I know I would have crawled up into a ball on Saturday, than make any appearance in public. Sympathies and support to him and his family I hope he finds the courage and strength to comfort his family, deal with his academics and then play basketball - in that order.

DCSven 3 years, 10 months ago

T-Rob -- our thoughts and prayers are with you -- you are an amazing young man. Know in your heart how proud your mom and grandparents are of you, and carry that with you always. The responsibility you now have would not be yours if you didn't have the strength to carry it. Your athletic skill is not your only strength, and we are all witness to that. God is with you, your mom's spirit is with you, and your Kansas basketball family and friends and fans support you always. Grieve, mourn and allow the love we all feel for you to steady you when you return.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 10 months ago

Man, what a rough weekend and last couple of week's for T-Rob. T-Rob needs to take all the time he needs. I can't imagine or even comprehend the amount of pain he must be in. I'm happy that he's going to be with his little sister. She needs him.

This is one of those times where I'm really glad to be a Jayhawk fan. It goes so far beyond the game of basketball. With that said, it's amazing that such a wonderful game like basketball will eventually be the healing grounds for T-Rob and his little sister. It really made me proud that the entire Jayhawk team is going to be present at the services. RCJH and you are all in our thoughts, T-Rob.

Selbyville 3 years, 10 months ago

"..and you are in all our thoughts, T-Rob."

Clean that up, so many people look up to you..

Selbyville 3 years, 10 months ago

It's crazy what Thomas is going through right now. Take as long as you need, the grieving process is important and he has a full plate. Thomas, I think it goes without saying that you have the full support of Jayhawk nation, along with your team and family, of course.

Keep your head up big man. Come back full strength.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Nice comments related to TRob ..

Off topic, but saw this quote on an article about Chalmers getting the starting 1 spot with the Heat:

"During his tenure with the Heat, the mercurial point guard has shown a flair for the dramatic, sometimes at the expense of more fundamental play. Spoelstra spoke about the challenges of utilizing Chalmers as the team's primary point guard. It's been a steady battle and process with [Chalmers]," Spoelstra said. "He has great instincts to make plays defensively. I don't want to completely handcuff him, but he has to do it with an IQ and a discipline to our system. That has to come first."

I would not have expected this comment about a former Self player, especially one that seemed like a disciplined system guy.

Selbyville 3 years, 10 months ago

I've watched various Heat games, and while the talent is all there, I've seen him do some bonehead stuff. And he rarely plays at his full form

oldalum 3 years, 10 months ago

I remember Self saying that Mario would go for a steal, and when he missed his guy was free to take it to the basket. So this isn't anything new if that's what he's still doing. He makes spectacular steals, but sometimes he takes the chances and misses.

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 10 months ago

I can think of one "dramatic" play that Mario made that renders any and every mistake he may have made at KU utterly inconsequential!

GabrielMichael 3 years, 10 months ago

Thomas may the Lord bless you and keep you; may He make His face to shine on you and be gracious to you; may He lift up His countenance on you and give you peace.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

In times like these, it is good to work the problem, and think hoops and distract with some humor. Having commented on the problem, and distracted with humor, I will now try thinking hoops.

~Once again we see why it was important not just for Mario, but for the team, to bring Mario back. Life and basketball are long stretches of the unforeseen and its aftermath, punctuated by brief bouts of the orderly and predictable. Mario Little, your number in the lottery has just been called. Mario, this is why you never give up. Never, never, never, never, never give up.

~Lyrics for all the KU players, coaches and fans...

"That's Life" --by Dean Kay and Kelly Gordon --as sung by Frank Sinatra

"That's life, that's what all the people say. You're riding high in April, Shot down in May But I know I'm gonna change that tune, When I'm back on top, back on top in June.

I said that's life, and as funny as it may seem Some people get their kicks, Stompin' on a dream But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'Cause this fine ol' world it keeps spinning around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, A poet, a pawn and a king. I've been up and down and over and out And I know one thing: Each time I find myself, flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race.

That's life I tell ya, I can't deny it, I thought of quitting baby, But my heart just ain't gonna buy it. And if I didn't think it was worth one single try, I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, A poet, a pawn and a king. I've been up and down and over and out And I know one thing: Each time I find myself laying flat on my face, I just pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life That's life and I can't deny it Many times I thought of cutting out But my heart won't buy it But if there's nothing shakin' come this here july I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball and die My, My

~Travis Releford and Jeff Withey, the fates are moving you both onto the big stage also. I still say sit out another game to get that akle "healed," not just sort of functioning. Little and Withey can pick up the slack against CU. The CU game could be a perfect coming out party for Jeff Withey. But Travis, we need you for the next game. B e ready.

~It is going to be cool seeing Tad Boyle coach. Time flies. Turg already has his own tree! It will be fascinating to see if Tad's team plays more like Larry's gangs, or Roy's, or Turg's. Or if 4 years at N. Colorado has enabled him to generate his own style already? Talk about some good pedigree. Tad Boyle may have been the coaching hire and deal of a lifetime for CU. Now, Bill, beat him bad, so he understands there is more to learn from The Legacy, now that you have built your addition to it!

Rock Chalk!!!

Ed Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, still just in shock over what this fine young man is dealing with. It is almost a catch-22 though because he will need financial help and you don't get much of that playing college ball (except at Kentucky :P) and then there is the longer term decisions related to raising your 9 year old sister on your own. If he moved his sister to Lawrence then she would be taken care of by many but he won't be able to play college basketball because of the help. Hopefully the NCAA will rule quickly and compassionately as they have at least once before.

TRob, we have shed a few tears for you, young man, as well as spent a lot of time praying for you and your sister. I am seriously considering going to the funeral if there is enough advance notice, wearing a nice blue Jayhawk tie so you know no matter what...we have your back! God bless you.

jhawkrx10 3 years, 10 months ago

There was a similar story a few years ago (2006) of a 19 year old Clemson football player who got temporary custody of his 15 year old brother because their mom was a drug addict and their dad was a gambling addict. He was allowed, after the NCAA cleared it, to accept money from supporters to help raise his brother. A local bank set up a trust fund and administered it for the brothers

Not sure if TRob would become the guardian of his sister or if someone else (family friend or other relative) would step up, but there is somewhat of a precedent for this situation.

Here's the link to the NCAA decision on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2583647

and a quick one about the trust fund: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2594996

actorman 3 years, 10 months ago

Interesting post, Uptown. I was wondering about the possibility of T-Rob transferring closer to home, like say Georgetown. I would of course hate it if that were to happen, but how could anyone blame him for wanting to be close to his sister. On the other hand, it would be great if there were a way for him to move her to Lawrence so he could stay with both of his families. It's hard to imagine how tough a time this must be for him.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 10 months ago

frankly, it would have been stunning to me if he would have stayed here, or came back early or whatever. he needs to be with his family....there needs to be some stability with his younger sister...and there needs to be some sort of work done on Thomas's short term and long term future.

i can't imagine what you're going through, or already what you've been through...but we're praying for you. please, take all the time off you need. and our team for tomorrow night, needs to win the game for you and your sister...let's have a for TRob week for cryin out loud....Go Jayhawks!

vahawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

My prayers go out to Thomas and his family at this difficult time, hang in there we'll be here when you get back..

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad to hear he's going back with his sister. We'll miss him for the game but he needs to do what's best for him and his family. Even though I've never met him, I just feel awful for TRob and his sister. Strange how players can get to feel like they're part of your extended family. (I'm sure everyone here knows what I'm talking about.) I can only imagine how difficult this must be for him and those closest to him.

Great posts from nearly everyone showing the compassion and understanding of a true fandom. F.O.E. seems to be the rallying cry of the entire Jayhawk Nation, and I'm so proud to be a part of this basketball family. Hopefully the folks at AFH West can provide the same support for the rest of the team tomorrow.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL LAWRENCE — The long strides Thomas Robinson made Monday between the locker room and the basketball court in Allen Fieldhouse were quiet, yet purposeful.

The practice Kansas conducted was Robinson’s last basketball exercise for as long as he deems appropriate.

As the Jayhawks head for Colorado and a 6 p.m. game Tuesday in the Coors Events Center, Robinson will fly home to Washington, D.C. There, he will join the last surviving member of his family, sister Jayla, and together they will cope with the death of their mother, Lisa Robinson, who was stricken by a heart attack Friday at the age of 37.

“Thomas said initially he positively wanted to go to Boulder,” KU coach Bill Self said. “But I think that was out of emotion, and after visiting with his sister last night, she’s 9 years old and she wants her brother home. When he’ll rejoin us I don’t know. Whenever he does is fine with me.”

Barry Hinson, director of basketball operations, accompanied Robinson to Washington, D.C., and will help with numerous arrangements. Funeral services are tentatively scheduled for Friday, and the team will fly to Washington that morning to be with their sophomore teammate.

The NCAA granted Kansas permission to help with funeral costs.

During the past three weeks, Robinson also lost a set of grandparents. Funeral services are scheduled Tuesday in Washington for his grandfather, who died Jan. 16.

Self acknowledged the Jayhawks (18-1, 3-1 Big 12), who fell to No. 6 in the rankings following Saturday’s loss against Texas, are “emotionally spent.” In Colorado (14-6, 3-2), they face an improved team coached by former KU player Tad Boyle. The Buffaloes, and their exceptional wing tandem of Alec Burks and Cory Higgins, figure to be energized by a full house designated as a “blackout.”

Still, the chief concern for Self and his squad is Robinson’s welfare.

During a team meeting Sunday, players were consumed with details about funeral arrangements and how they could help their teammate.

“Then I said to the guys, that’s most important, but life doesn’t stop,” Self related. “We played a game yesterday. Do you guys want to look at it and see what we can learn from it from a basketball standpoint to get your mind off some other things?

“And Markieff (Morris) stepped up and said, ‘Coach, we’ve got to be able to do both.’ So I thought that was a pretty mature deal.”

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

blackout? LOL thats a good one! I have seen prob 6 or 7 of the KU @ CU games over the past 15 years and I've yet to see anything less than 30% KU fans there, sometimes as high as 45 or 55% KU fans. I'll be there once again on Tues. night behind the KU bench enjoying the beatdown of the Buffaloes. Last years game went to OT due to HORRIBLE free throw shooting (18 OF 38!!), lets not go down that route again. I remember last year Mario and Thomas sitting near the end of the bench during the CU game and the student section is just to the side of the KU bench. CU students were trying their best to draw the attention of Mario and Thomas with smack talk, but they kept their cool as they pointed to the scoreboard in OT while KU produced the win. In particular, I remember one student fan who kept asking Mario "who are you?" because Mario wasn't playing (due to redshirt). I commented to my wife that I couldn't wait til next year when Mario will be more than happy to show the CU fans what he is capable of. Rock Chalk! KU 79 CU 68

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

Feelings spilled out within the group regarding both basketball and the grief they felt over Robinson’s plight.

“We all were down from things, and I felt it had a big effect on the game,” Morris said. “We just wanted to get that game out of us and talked about family.”

And among KU’s basketball family, sorrow still runs deep. That family is quite extended, too. Friends of Self who live in Texas offered to move to Lawrence and seek guardianship of Jayla without ever meeting Robinson or his sister. Others offered to go to Washington and help in any way possible.

“It’s amazing to me how connected people get to our guys because they see them as one of their own,” Self said. “That’s one of the great things about playing here, and I think Thomas sees that now more than ever. But there will be no definite answers for Thomas until he knows what’s best for him and his sister.”

Meanwhile, the season continues, though Self insisted the Jayhawks’ priorities rest with Robinson.

“Basketball is a byproduct that we are fortunate to participate in because of these guys. But these guys come first, always,” Self said. “We’ve got to get back to basketball, but not at the expense of not doing what we should do from the big picture.”

The big picture, of course, is Robinson, who showed his character, and his resolve, by playing against Texas.

“The day of the game,” said senior guard Tyrel Reed, “he told us, ‘Hey guys, I don’t want you to treat me any different. That showed so much maturity.”

Of course, that was difficult. A moment of silence before the opening tipoff brought some of the Jayhawks to tears during the national anthem. Then, as Self put it, the team ran out of gas against the powerful Longhorns, who took over the Big 12 lead and are now ranked seventh.

Now, as KU moves forward, it does so without knowing when Robinson will return.

“He’s been a rock. He’s been a rock for all of us. It’s been a pretty emotional time,” Self said. “He’s done remarkably well considering everything that’s going on in terms of the responsibility he’s about to take on.”

3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for posting this, KEITHMILES05.

ilovebill 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for sharing this story. Great news on Kansas having NCAA approval to help with funeral costs. I hope that is only the beginning of a kinder, gentler NCAA....

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

If KU wins the next ten consecutive NCAA titles I would still not be as proud to be a Jayhawk as I am today.

Paul Rupp 3 years, 10 months ago

+1. Well said. Proud to be even tangentaly associated with TRob and this team. TRob---take care of your sister, and you. My heart, thoughts and prayers are in D.C--And KU getting the team to be where they need to be on Friday--again, Proud to be a Jayhawk!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

My apologies for interrupting this heartfelt thread for TROB, which makes me proud to be a Jayhawk, but since LJW has not posted a separate article about the new rankings, I just had to post.

#6 for Kansas looks about right. Scroll down to the bottom of the rankings. There at 12-7 is Michigan State at # 25. WTF is that about!! And we talk about the East Coast bias...looks like it is more widespread than I thought!!

Sorry, I just had to get that out.

Hang in there TROB.

Ed Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

Great story keithmiles05! Today I could not be more proud to be a Jayhawk. Enjoy booting Colorado right out of the Big 12. One nation...crying tears of blue. RCJH

Brian Conrad 3 years, 10 months ago

NCAA let us know fast. this family needs help and many that would step up in a heartbeat. please find a way to help this young man.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

"He’s done remarkably well considering everything that’s going on in terms of the responsibility he’s about to take on."

I haven't read every comment but has anyone considered that Robinson is gone for good? Didn't Darren Hancock leave for a similar reason? "Responsibility he's about to take on," sounds as if he's making a life decision.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm beginning to think that winning has tainted this fan base.

Personally, I was a disgusted at the reaction of some of the folks on this board Saturday. I was shocked to hear that Robinson was playing after what happened, but not nearly as shocked by the reaction from some of the posters to individuals expressing the same sentiment as mine. Its fairly obvious that those bogus "don't tell other people how to live their lives" defenses, supposedly in defense of Robinson's decision to play, were merely veiled "I don't care about his personal life, we gotta win this game" comments.

brooksmd 3 years, 10 months ago

There were those that felt TRob shouldn't have played and gone home. My take, and that of many others was, we all deal with tragedies differently. That the last thing TRob needed was a bunch of people telling him what he should do. I assure you he had plenty of people much closer to him that he could draw from. If I remember right, HCBS even said that he was advised by others that it was best to let TRob choose how he wanted to deal with it. For the most part, JHawk nation has impressed me with their desire to help in any way possible.

brooksmd 3 years, 10 months ago

Furthermore, yes I hope things work out that he can come back to KU. However, if he thinks it would be better for him to transfer to an east coast school, I would have no problem with that. Anyone with some common sense would accept his decision.

brooksmd 3 years, 10 months ago

1stname....And the more I think about your post the madder I get. I for one was one of those that felt we had no business expressing "shock to hear that Robinson was playing" because I felt it was his decision. There is no reason to be shocked. It's not your decision to make. If anything, your, our, only option is to accept his decision and support him. And should he decide to transfer, our only option is to support his decision, thank him for being a JHawk, let him know he will always be a JHawk, and wish him well.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

Using that same "logic", if it is none of anyone's business making decisions for Thomas Robinson, then it is none of your business to tell other people when they should or should not feel shock.

Furthermore, no one in the real world would try to make decisions for someone they'll likely never encounter in person. You'd really have to be a delusional schmuck for that one.

Your attempt to characterize other people's shock as an attempt to subjugate Robinson's right to make decisions for himself is false deduction and bereft of the most basic level of human objectivity.

His mother died. If you're unfamiliar with the stages of grief, I'll give you a pass. Understandably, some experts list the first phase as being "denial" others list (heaven forbid) "shock", while some list them jointly. If someone's grandmother dies, that one thing. If someone's mother dies, that's another. But if someone's loses their grandmother and their mother in a short period, is it unrealistic for that person or even observers to feel shock? In explaining Robinson's thoughts and desires regarding his course of action, Self repeatedly used the pronoun "he" as if Robinson's thoughts and desires were not concurrent with the coaching staff's. To the passerby, that seem down right insensitive. But I admit, that I don't have all the facts. I can only act on what I see...and it doesn't look good.

Ultimately, Robinson (the emotional player on the team) shouldn't have been put in the position of having to make a decision to choose--family or team--but it is beginning to appear that he most certainly was.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

Totally disagree. Your saying HCBS pressured him to stay and play ? Thats something I could see the coach at UK doing ,not Self. Your way off here, and have no idea what your talking about.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

Since you mentioned UK, consider this:

19 (or 20) year-old college student, Thomas Robinson plays in a basketball game for the University of Kansas, less than a day after his mother dies and a week after losing his grandmother.

In the court of public opinion, does this scenario place the University of Kansas further away from or closer to UK?

In court of Ben McLemore's and DeAndre Daniels' opinion, where does this scenario place KU?

As red as Kansas is, it amazes me how much resistance folks on this message board are giving basic conservative family values. Maybe Kansas is only subjectively conservative. Amazing!!

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

You can keep your politics to yourself, this has nothing to do with politics. Just what is so bad about letting Thomas choose to play or go home ? Not sure where your getting that he was pressured in any way, cause I dont see it, anywhere. Show me some facts, or explain yourself. Just because he didnt respond to his mother's/ grandmothers passing the way you expect him to doesnt mean he was pressured into anything. If I recall he missed a game and left school when his grandmother passed, wasnt pressured to stay and play. He was givin the choice to play, and he played, so what. And as far as how the whole scenario effects KU , I think it places KU in good standing in the court of public opinion. If you dont know, with permission from the NCAA, KU is helping with funeral costs, and coach Hinson is travelling to DC with Thomas to assist him in anything he needs help or guidance with that the NCAA will allow.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

I have the only fact you need: you can't read.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah thought so, NO FACTS TO BACK IT UP TROLL......

John Randall 3 years, 10 months ago

Did you completely miss the reason TRob was on the court Saturday?

Coach Self did not demand this.

Coach Self did not exert pressure (either way) for this.

Coach Self got some professional advice and allowed TRob to make the decision.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't even have to ask if you actually read what I wrote.

I'll let you get back to World of Warcraft now.

Freedman Moor 3 years, 10 months ago

BTW...

madder: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/madder

If you feel that appropriate, so be it. But I believe the term you're looking for is "angrier". Albeit, the term you really should be looking for is "neuroleptic".

Sheesh!! "Madder" about what???

brooksmd 3 years, 10 months ago

1st...Thank you. Your comments have made things perfectly clear to me now. And in the future I'll forward all my posts through you to ensure proper grammatical usage. In other words....bite me!

babyjay1 3 years, 10 months ago

I am so proud to be a Jayhawk right now! My heart breaks for TRob and his little sister... I cannot imagine what it would feel like to suddenly have no adult family members left in your immediate family. No one to call, lean on, share your excitement over a win with, graduation from college, etc... I also have to say that was appalled at a "friend of a friend" who is an MU grad and his reaction to what he called "our excuse for playing a bad game and losing". It was pathetic and completely insensitive. I have always felt that Jayhawk Nation was the best and now I am completely sure that we are the best fans, best "family" around!!! Rock Chalk and TRob, please know that our prayers are with you and we will support any decision you make at this point in your young life.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

If anyone wants a few laughs, come over to jaybate's gallery of College Basketball Paintography and watch jross1972 throw some internet tantrums, because I won't post my paintographs when and in the number that he wants. Its pretty funny reading. He appears to be acting like some combination of a self-appointed vigilante of the Internet commons and Dr. Phil.

See jross1972 call jaybate "pathological." Surf in to see if he turns out to claim to be the first, self-trained, clairvoyant psychiatrist alleging diagnoses for free on an internet sports web site.

See if jross1972 confesses that he is used to getting his way at home and infuriated when someone uses the "no" word to him.

See if jross1972 (or jaybate) has a nervous break down, because jaybate is posting jpeg images to his gallery faster than jross1972 likes.

See if jross1972 can use the phrase "god-complex" more that ten times in one post.

See if jross1972 is going through some kind of psychological crisis in his own life that he will confess to on Oprah, or Dr. Phil.

See if jaybate defend jross1972's right to have his iTantrums in jaybate's gallery of College Basketball Paintography.

See if jross1972 can get enough clicks and make enough posts to get his blog back up the cue.

This is entertainment at its very best!!!

And its all free.

I will be posting some of my replies to his posts on my gallery and other in his blog, and still others out on the story threads.

jross1972's blog is called in "A Crimson Quill on Campanile Hill," in hopes of helping him with his click count. :-)

Yeeeeeee Hawwwwwww!

The link to jaybate's website is: :

jross1972's blog link is:

murph 3 years, 10 months ago

Way to go, Jaybate. You just can't stand it when the attention isn't on you, huh? Yes, sure, lots of people involved in this tragedy would rather have "a good laugh" - no one more so than Thomas and his sister. BUT that's not the reality, and it's incredibly insensitive for you to be on this thread "advertising" for your need for attention. Seems like, unfortunately, that's pretty much the norm with you, though - the world revolves around Jaybate. You're disgusting.

kevz87 3 years, 10 months ago

We all are pulling for you Thomas. Jayhawk nation loves you. Just do what you need to. You are in all our thoughts and prayers Thomas. We all have your back in any decision you make we all will support you. You teammates don't just end at the end of the bench. You have 16,300 teammates every home game.

My prayers are with you.

kufankam 3 years, 10 months ago

this may have already been mentioned, but i think that there is one jayhawk, above all, who could really help by talking to trob - DARNELL JACKSON. i know that darnell is probably thinking of trob and if he hasn't contacted him yet, he probably will. when that happens, trob should be all ears because darnell has come close to walking in trob's shoes. as all of this has happened, i can't help but remember my heart breaking for all darnell had to deal with. now, it is like the rain is pouring all over again. i hope that trob can flourish in life the way that darnell did/has. i, in no way, am trying to parallel the "2008 tragedies turned nat'l title run" to this year's tragedies. i am strictly talking about life - i hope that trob can dig deep somewhere and find the strength he needs to cope and proceed with his life.... i hope that he finds someone named darnell who has had to dig to that very place before. thinking about trob and praying for him and his sister.

Kyle Sybesma 3 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking Darnell would be a great person to reach out to Thomas as well.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Robinson, I cannot fathom the depth of loss that you must be feeling. I know that you are young and strong, but there are some burdens that are just too heavy.

Please know that we are all hoping that you find comfort and release from your grief, and wish you and your sister all the best in the future. LIsten to your heart and let it lead you.

Basketball is just a game with some ups and downs. For my part, I hope that you consider all of us Jayhawks, from all over the world, as part of your extended family and support network. Our hearts go out to you.

Peace be with you.