Sunday, January 16, 2011

Selby sits and other Kansas basketball notes

Kansas guard Josh Selby knocks the ball away from Nebraska guard Brandon Richardson during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Nebraska

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Nebraska, 63-60 on Jan. 15, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 63-60 victory over Nebraska on Jan. 15, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler talks to reporters following his team's 63-60 loss to Kansas on Jan. 15, 2011.

Download podcast

Kansas University freshman Josh Selby, who had three points, four turnovers, one steal and no assists, sat the final 16 minutes. The combo guard was into the game emotionally, cheering as KU overcame a 10-point second-half deficit.

“I talked to him in the locker room. He is not that disappointed. I mean, we got the win,” KU junior Marcus Morris said. “After a while, you have bad games, but you can’t let bad games affect the team, affect anybody else.

“He’s like my little brother so I can talk to him and tell him, ‘Let that game go. We got the win. You had to sit out for a little bit, but hey, come back next game, come back to practice tomorrow ready to go and be ready Monday (at Baylor),’’’ Morris added.

KU junior Tyshawn Taylor also spoke with Selby in the locker room after the game.

“Josh is good. I don’t have to tell him much. He’s always ready to play,” Taylor said. “It’s coach’s decision. The five he (coach Bill Self) had in the game he felt was working so he stayed with it. It happens a lot with people. He’s cool, not moping around, not pouting about it.

“Josh understands,” Taylor added. “He knew how it was going, how he was playing at the time. We are all about winning. As long as we do that, everybody is happy. He’ll bounce back and play better next game.”

Releford update

Travis Releford (ankle sprain) missed his second straight game. Self said Releford was doubtful for Monday’s game at Baylor. It’s expected he’ll be back for next Saturday’s home game vs. Texas.

1,000-point club

Morris became the 53rd player in KU history to score 1,000 points. He has 1,001 points and 505 rebounds.

“I’ve got good teammates who pass me the ball. I love my teammates. They love me,” Morris said. “If I didn’t get 1,000 and we still won the game, it (not hitting 1,000) wouldn’t matter. It was good to get it at home.”

Little things

Self on KU’s needing to do little things to mount a comeback: “We used the analogy after the game of, ‘You’re down three runs in the ninth inning and coming up to bat, get hit by the pitch, take a pitch off the knee or whatever, make sure you get a base-runner,’’’ Self said. “We’re trying to make great plays. We’re trying to hit a triple. We’re just not playing very smart.”

This, that

KU’s 1971 Final Four team was introduced at halftime. The 1952 title team was introduced during a first-half timeout. ... The mother of recruit Ben McLemore attended the game. McLemore, a 6-5 senior from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will attend either KU or Missouri next season. ... KU is 17-0 for the first time since the 2007-08 season, when the Jayhawks opened 20-0. ... KU is 2-0 in the Big 12 for the fifth straight season. .... KU is 169-71 all-time against Nebraska, including a 30-3 mark since the inception of the Big 12. ... KU has won 16 in a row versus NU; 12 in a row in Allen. ... NU, which is headed to the Big Ten next season, likely will never visit the fieldhouse again. ... Tyrel Reed hit four of seven threes. ... KU set season lows for points (63), field-goal attempts (50), two-point field-goal attempts (29) and free-throw percentage (52.6) and tied season lows for points in a half (25), rebounds (32) and steals (five). ... NU’s 19 offensive rebounds and 43 total rebounds set season highs by a KU opponent.

Comments

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

......The mother of recruit Ben McLemore attended the game. McLemore, a 6-5 senior from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will attend either KU or Missouri next season. ..

Is this really news?

JayhawkRock 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes this is really news! We want this kid bad and his momma is wanting Ben to go to Mizzou. This is huge that we got his momma to the game.

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree... This is a surprising turn of events! Ben may have convinced his mom to visit one KU game to convince her why he likes us! I am sure the energy would have affected her (even though I didn't hear our end-of-game chant from where I was sitting in Dayton, OH.)

Andrew Moore 3 years, 6 months ago

biggest news in this article.... but you probably knew that to be posting about it

Stan Unruh 3 years, 6 months ago

We need to get Ben's mom to sit down with Chancellor B G Little and have a talk about the benefits of coming to KU. It looks like coach Self has done his job and Ben is leaning toward Lawrence. Let's close the deal.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

He still most likely won't decide until April.

kuae99 3 years, 6 months ago

Sheesh, how could she possibly compare the crowd and roaring comeback yesterday to anything in Misery? How is it even a choice?

Marcus Duncan 3 years, 6 months ago

Exactly! Misery has a brand new, state-of-the-art facility, with all the bells and whistles money can buy, but can barely get enough people to fill HALF of the arena! KU has 16,300+ for PRACTICE (Late Night) It doesn't matter if we are playing a D-II school or Top 10 team. The stands are packed EVERY NIGHT!!! It's a no brainer Mrs. McLemore! ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWK!!

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

hell yes! huge news! if mama McLemore isn't convinced after the way AFH was rockin, to the tigres he goes.

bdk980 3 years, 6 months ago

(To me) this is pretty noteworthy...The only reason McLemore's mom (obviously in my opinion) came to the game is b/c McLemore wants to go to KU. His mom isn't sold on us b/c she has probably always or for a very long time been a Mizzou fan who like many MU or KU fans for that matter are extremely polarized in their views about their respective school. The question that needs to be asked is why is Mclemore's Mom at the game w/o him... My guess, he is dead-set on going to KU and his mom is trying to stomach the thought of her son playing for the "enemy." Hopefully she is coming to terms/seeing the benefits of her son donning a Jayhawk uni.

RockChalkGuy 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing Ben wasn't at the game because he was playing a game with his team this weekend. I think they were actually on ESPN for the Saturday night game.

CherryCreekHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

This is ridiculous and frankly points out the fraud in "student atheletes." I'm all for KU to have a winning team, but this makes me wonder about the so called "game." This is a business. KU's administration ought to hire Mrs. McLemore as a professor or as a vice chancellor. Put her on the payroll somehow, just like they did Ed Manning years ago.

kstrebor 3 years, 6 months ago

A guy I work with went to the game with his wife.

kthawk 3 years, 6 months ago

So now the Brady minimizers understand his worth. They also hopefully understand the sanity of Self. Things go south, the flashy stallions are sped up. And, Self turn to Tyrel and Brady to bring calm to the troops and win the battle. Of course, that is what Self is all about: winning. And, C.S. does win, and he wins often.

Coach Self wins often because he sees what the ignorant critics on this sight blindly refuse to see. Self sees talent and he sees competency. And, where talent and competency meet, well that is where you will find Brady.

Hank Cross 3 years, 6 months ago

Please. Brady had a decent game, but a block and a saved ball hardly vindicate all those minutes in which he contributed far less.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

You mean the 16 minutes that counted?

Michael Auchard 3 years, 6 months ago

Did you watch the same game that I did?

All I remember are passes nearly getting intercepted time and time again, a bunch of three-point shots that barely scraped the rim and one good block near the end.

In 29 minutes.

I'm no Brady hater, but it seems pretty obvious that his game has regressed so far this season...

... however, it's not like any of our other guards besides Reed decided to show up, either.

Jim Roth 3 years, 6 months ago

I think that's the point. Not only did the other guards not show up, they were detrimental. 10 turnovers vs 3 assists for TT, EJ & Selby.

Primum non nocere. First, do no harm. Bring in Dr. Brady.

jhox 3 years, 6 months ago

In other words, Yahweh, you don't watch KU on the defensive end of the court. No surprise there, none of the Brady haters do. God is supposed to see all...you better get a different name to post under, because not only do you not see all, you obvously don't see much of anything.

Even when Brady has a bad game offensively, he's always more than solid defensively.

Michael Auchard 3 years, 6 months ago

Your reading comprehension isn't blowing me away so far, jhox. As I said above, I have nothing personal against Morningstar, I'm not a hater.

It's just that he looked so bad on the offensive end yesterday, so much worse than almost any of the rest of our players, that it kind of minimized any results he got on D.

And his defense was not the mind-blowing Mario Chalmers-esque performance that you're making it out to be. It was in the adequate to good range.

He looked pretty out of it most of the time versus Neb, sadly. I hope he can get back to last year's form, but at this point I kinda doubt it.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

"It's just that he looked so bad on the offensive end yesterday, so much worse than almost any of the rest of our players..."

Which guards, exactly, do you speak of? Taylor? 2 assists versus 4 TOs? Selby? 0 assists versus 4 TOs and 1-4 with 3 points? EJ? 1 assist versus 2 TOs, also with only 3 points?

Brady had 3 assists to 0 TOs. He also contributed 2 boards which is the same as Selby, TT and EJ COMBINED. And none of those 3 had a block shot either.

I'm not trying to make it out like Brady erupted for a huge game, but he was solid and mistake free. I have no idea how any of the above makes him "so much worse than almost any of the rest of our players," unless you were speaking of guys that don't play his position......

jhox 3 years, 6 months ago

The only guy defensively who is close, on the current squad, is Releford.

Look, I would love nothing more than to see Taylor and Selby, and Johnson play to their athletic potential, and be so much more efficient on the floor that they take away Brady's minutes, but that's not consistently happened thus far. I'm just tired of people only see the orange ball going through the net, and base their judgement of a player solely on that. We are generally a better team when Brady is on the floor. He is the best passing guard we have, and he is the best defender we have. Just because he scores 4 points doesn't mean he's not contributing.

As for your comparison to Mario defensively, I believe Mario is actually a very good comparison. They're both guys who get their hands on a lot of balls, both passes and off the dribble. They often generate steals for their teammates. He's not the lock down defender that Kirk HInrich or Russell Robinson were, but he is effective defensively in his own way. If you go back and watch tapes of Mario, he actually got beat off the dribble pretty frequently. He made his defensive reputation on quick hands, much like Brady. He was a much better scorer than Brady, and a better overall player...I will concede that, but Brady isn't battling him for minutes on this team.

For the record, I saw your comment regarding not being a Brady hater, but then you turn around and were critical him, despite the fact that we lose that game yesterday without his contributions late in the game.

PickleFuzz 3 years, 6 months ago

If Brady is such an awful player why do u put yourself through all that agony? Just quit watching, simple as that!

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't expect the "Brady 10's" to change their stance anytime soon. They moved and twitched and the thought of Morningstar playing so much in the second half yesterday. It was an uncomfortable feeling for them, so instead of giving the kid credit, they will contintue to speak negatively and bring up previous games to justify their stance. In the end, it's about getting a "W".

jayhawk1866 3 years, 6 months ago

Let's be honest...Brady is a really good player. His greatest attribute is his steadiness. You know what you'll get..So on a night when our truly gifted but sometimes out of control guards are not playing well, Brady is a great fit. He is not our answer on most nights, but we will need him as the season goes on, because our team is young. We will need his leadership and most of all his calming influence.

jhox 3 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't have said it better myself, kthawk.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

Brady is good, not great. Brady is steady, not streaky. When Brady is on the floor, you pretty much know what you're getting. Brady makes more good plays than bad plays. Experience counts.

brad53 3 years, 6 months ago

Man Brady is a role player, I like the guy, but he only had 1 block and 1 assist. He is not a threat offensively, I mean the dude is like 0 for 2011. We need scorers in the game, and a scorer, he is not. Selby had a freshman game, but believe me Self will fix that.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Do you actually know how to read a box score? He had 3 assists against 0 (that's zero) turnovers and also contributed 2 boards. His shot is crap -- and will be as long as he keeps jumping forward... fix that Brady, seriously -- but he plays under control whenever he is on the floor.

I love Selby, and I know he'll bounce back. But I'm glad we have Brady's experience in the lineup.

brad53 3 years, 6 months ago

and yet still not a threat offensively, thank you for proving my point. Right now he reminds me of Texas' Balbay, under control but when they are on offense, you can leave him open because he can't contribute.

REHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

What a hoot, Taylor's consoling peptalk to Selby. Somebody ought to provide Tyshawn with a peptalk. Two assists from a starting point guard at Kansas...who logs more than 20 minutes in a contest. Holy Moly!

Matt Bowers 3 years, 6 months ago

Agree. At what point will TT get the message and start taking conference games serious? The guy is a junior and he hasn't improved since his freshmen year. I don't know if it is such a good idea for him to mentor Selby.

Rock Chalk

Jim Roth 3 years, 6 months ago

No, Taylor was the perfect one to give a pep talk about how to bounce back after a bad night. Who else has more experience???

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

lol...Couldn't agree more. How many times in a game can you dribble into the paint with no idea or plan on what to do? He pretty much plays the same as he did his freshman yr.

JHWK 3 years, 6 months ago

Agree, too. TT's lack of poise when the games get tight is very unnerving. The Nebraska game might be the EASIEST of the next weeks, yet there was a lot of panic in the play of everyone in the first 30 minutes.

Poise, poise, poise. TT is so talented, but just loses his brain when the pressure is on. So much talent on the team, yet not the leader that can rally the troops to run through walls to get stops or drive to the hole and dish for an easy bucket....

ajhk 3 years, 6 months ago

Brady had some very good minutes. He was able to go out there, play both sides and not cough the ball up- something that Taylor, Selby and to a lesser extent EJ were unable to do.

While Brady and Reed were in (and we looked more stable) notice who was out for much of the time- Taylor.

On that note, why was Taylor consoling Selby? Taylor had another terrible game, unable to handle, defend and as always, shoot (though he had a decent percentage this game, he is not a go to or clutch scorer). It's time to let Selby have the 1 spot and work out the kinks. Taylor has physical ability but has not been able to strengthen his weaknesses or become any more consistent after two+ seasons as a starter. He is simply a liability in late game situations. This is not what a point guard should be.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Taylor excel. When he plays at full speed and makes good decisions, he really adds another dimension to the team. I just don't know where that guy's head is at.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Taylor is talking to Selby because he knows that a bad game, or not playing in crunch time is not the end. It's not as much about how the last game went, as it now is about getting ready for the next game.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

I've never been so fired up over blog comments during a game that I feel obligated to set the record straight. This game was a story of two halves and the only 4 players who showed up to play today were Reed, Marcus, Morningstar, and T-Rob.

Posters will point to the fact that EJ and Selby hardly played in the second half and Morningstar had 29 total minutes. What it boils down to is that Nebraska and Kansas in 2011 is bigger than any one player or coach for Kansas.

With Nebraska leaving for the big 10 next year and possibly never returning again to Allen Fieldhouse it was with the utmost importance to get the "W" at all cost. This was a game not about saving face for anybody's feelings especially despite some of the fans views that EJ and Selby should have played in the second half especially over Morningstar who played a great game.

With that said let's break down the game:

1st Half: KU simply did not show up in the first half. Taylor, Selby, and EJ combined for 9 turnovers and Selby and EJ combined for 6 of those turnovers. KU committed 12 first half turnovers which is just careless. Valuing the basketball was something that was not a high priority for KU during the first 20 minutes. I can without a doubt say that the 6 turnovers that Selby and EJ committed in the first half was not the reason why they hardly played in the second half.

Their shot selection, their demeanor, their body language, and their reactions to negative plays and mistakes is what sat them the entire second half. What it ultimately boils down to is that they started feeling sorry for themselves and they sealed their own fate by the character they displayed and showed on the court. I'm not knocking either one of those players, but chalk it up to a learning experience. Both are the conrnerstone of this program going forward, but "Today" they didn't have it. This is what Self talks about when being focused for 40 minutes.

As far as rebounding goes, KU just got outworked all over the boards and at one point KU was down 18-8 in the first half. Kieff's turnovers, shot selection, and body language IMO should have put him in the doghouse with EJ and Selby. I think rebounding and turnovers were the two biggest issues in the first half. The rotations on the double in the post were horrific as multiple dump downs with uncontested lay ups occurred. I'm not a fan of this set defense, but when run efficiently it is effective. Today, however, it wasn't effective.

2nd Half: This is a half where the underclassmen had to learn some lessons and the upperclassmen showed their experience. It it were up to me, I would have sat Taylor in the second half as well, but KU was limited on guards. The one difference on why Taylor played and EJ and Selby sat was because of Taylor's character and experience on the court. He didn't hang his head after mistakes and to his credit he only committed 1 turnover after halftime.

cont'd

HawkBBall 3 years, 6 months ago

Excellent evaluation, Kushaw. I thought the best big combo was the twins and TRob. Before that insertion in the second half, I thought Kieff played scared. I also thought Tyshawn Turnover finally started playing defense for the first time all season in the second half. Above all, Reed is the the glue.

HawkBBall 3 years, 6 months ago

Losing the offensive rebounding stat 19 to 9 made for a lot of one and outs. Can't continue that trend.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually, KU after halftime only committed 3 turnovers, established, tempo, valued possessions, and swung the basketball into the post in it's sets. A big credit for the second half turnaround and surge was Marcus, Reed, Morningstar, and T-Rob. Without those 4 guys, KU loses this ball game and Nebraska wins it's last ever game inside the Phog.

Player of the Game: Tyrel Reed for keeping his composure, fighting for every possession and loose ball, and simply being the leader that he is. He scored 16 points off of 4-8 shooting and hitting 4-7 from downtown. Reed's confidence is at an all-time high and you could actually see Reed getting very mad about the possibility of losing. His 3 boards, 3 assists, and 0 turnovers (Almost a perfect game) is the reason why he is the runaway leader in this category.

Marcus: Had a sluggish first half, but the difference between himself and Kieff is that he didn't sulk and get frustrated. There were a couple of times I think he wanted to, but he fought through the frustrations of being double teamed and let the game come to him. That's what All-Americans do. That late offensive rebound putback to tie the game at 45 was huge and showed Marcus' all around character.

Morningstar: This is a game that Brady's "Impact" was huge. 0 turnovers, 3 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 block all in 29 minutes. In this one game without looking at any other game, Morningstar showed why he is a leader and dependable player on this team. When EJ and Selby just didn't have "It" today, Morningstar, a solid role player stepped in and did his job. That's what good teams do.

Morningstar's shot is still pathetic at the moment, but he did everything else well today. Entry passes into the post after terrific perimeter ball movement, penetration finding shooters multiple times, and played pretty stellar defense multiple times with the shot clock winding down in the second half.

As much as people want to rant negatively towards Morningstar, I still believe his best position on this team is PG. He's not going to be a player that scores (We all know that), but nobody is better at getting the team into the "Offensive Flow" than Morningstar. What about him not being able to speed the game up, KUShaw? Well, I think Morningstar proved today that he can keep pace as long as it's a controlled fast tempo. He also can penetrate more than people give him credit. No, he's not going to the rack with his penetration, but he can get into the middle of the paint and look for his posts and perimeter players.

Let's note one thing about Morningstar and my analysis, I'm not saying he deserves or not deserves 29 minutes going forward. If all cylinders are clicking with the rest of the team, I like to see 15-20 minutes, but when other guys like EJ and Selby are having off nights than I have no problems with Morningstar getting his 29 minutes. He deserved every minute "Today".

cont'd

jayhawkjunior 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually KU had 5 turnovers to start the 2nd half. That is how our first five possessions ended before we even took a shot. Not negating anything else you said, just a correction.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

You're exactly right! I was trying to go off memory and I had to go back and look at the play by play summary. I think KU only had 3 turnovers in the Final 16 minutes of the game. I wrote this right after the game yesterday, but you're right about that fact.

The ugliness that spilled over to the first couple minutes of the second half all kind of ran together.

I wish the LJW could somehow post two box scores one for the first half and then the final box score. You can see trends that way. Would be cool.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

One more thing you should have checked on – in the final 16:06 of the game, KU had the grand total of 0 (z e r o) turnovers, while relying on their two reliable seniors with short relief stints from a red-shirt senior (who put in minutes both inside and out) and the finally settled-down junior starting point guard.

Amazing how much better results are with at least one shot attempt each possession, isn't it ???

Jim Roth 3 years, 6 months ago

Minor correction, which supports your point. 5 turnovers in 2nd half, not 3. Keegan listed the result of KU's first 5 possessions of the half: 1. Turnover Tyshawn Taylor. 2. Turnover Josh Selby. 3. Turnover Selby. 4. Turnover Elijah Johnson. 5. Turnover Johnson.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

You and Jayhawk Junior are the same track. Read above. I agree. It was 5 turnovers instead of 3.

Jim Roth 3 years, 6 months ago

I gotta remember to refresh before posting.

captku 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow, well said about Brady, kushaw. Hats off, as I was just telling my brother (and fellow alum) about how the guards were challenged with the tough d and physical play that the flow of the game became very choppy to watch. When Brady did come in, it seemed as though his experience allowed him to know where the "open" spots are on the floor to get things flowing again. Not that his shot is where it should be obviously, but he did help off the bench a lot. Experience paid off. Speaking of shot, he has digressed to that leaning forward 3-point stroke that looks pretty sad now. It speaks of no confidence. Can anyone recall when he stopped going straight up with his shot? He isn't landing in the same spot anymore. Fortunately, dribbling and position are a different story for him. And hustle.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

T-Rob: He is without question the emotional sparkplug for this team. I love T-Rob because he and he alone energized this team when they needed. I thought T-Rob outplayed Kieff and deserved to be in at the end of the game. I know Robinson's FT's aren't stellar, but today he should have been in there. Maybe Kieff wouldn't picked up that terrible blocking call at half court with a 1:00 left in the game.

T- Rob scored 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 blocks in 16 minutes. He's back to his effiecient ways and it was terrific to see him smiling again. Outstanding performance by the true "Beast Mode".

Kieff: Kieff, like EJ and Selby, was totally out of it today. He got down on himself and his play continued to go down hill from there. His body language wasn't the best, but when everything isn't going right, he needs to find away to "Fight" and he didn't show any of that today. Diaz and "Big Country North" outworked Kieff for most of the game especially on the boards. I still hate him shooting 3's from 1 pass in the possession, but I've just now resorted to the fact that it's going to happen every game much to my dismay. Kieff needs to get himself right mentally.

Selby: Just had one of those game. What's worse is that he had one of those games while also having to learn the hard way about playing through mistakes. Everybody has games like he did today, but he can't sulk, feel sorry for himself, or for that matter make a mistake by compounding it with another mistake, which is what he did today.

Mentally, he just wasn't in it today. He was a step slow on defense, his shot selection wasn't great, and something I thought I would never see from this kid............his confidence was shakin a little bit.

In the end, I'm not worried about Selby because he has something most players don't have and that's "It". He needs to remember that even when he's not playing well, that his confidence and swagger is what separates him from everyone else. He can "Impact" a game in his sleep and he just needs to remember to keep his composure. He'll be fine as long as he keeps his swagger. He lost his "Showtime" a little bit today. Just remember Josh, there is a reason why you're called "Showtime".

EJ: It's the same thing with EJ as it has been all season. Confidence! He's lacking confidence. He looked shaky with the ball all afternoon. He's tentative when he dribbles, and he can't get into the lane in a half court set as well as Morningstar can at the moment. EJ isn't even looking at the hoop a majority of the time. He had that nice 3 in the corner, but that's about it.

There is absolutely zero tenacity or aggressiveness from him at the moment. I don't want to say that EJ lacks "Fight", but I'm seeing a very tentative and scared kid playing basketball out there. Personally, I think somebody needs to talk trash to him and get in his face so I can "Something Else" from a personality standpoint from him.

cont'd

David Lara 3 years, 6 months ago

Love the reference to "Beast Mode." The shoe definitely fits.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Taylor: Like I said above, he did not play well today. The only difference between himself and EJ and Selby is that he didn't let the turnovers affect hiim mentally. He did show nice composure and played decent in the second half only having 1 turnover. However, his decision making is not good at the moment. Stripped crossing over (It's happening a lot lately), the terrible lob pass to Robinson (I don't mind it so much), but his entry passes aren't even close at the moment.

He did keep "Fighting" and that is what I've enjoyed seeing through Taylor's maturation from his freshman year. He did knock down that "3" in the corner (Suspect shot selection) and he that nice "And 1" in transition that got him started for the day. I did think that foul on Taylor was bogus. It was definitely a jump ball. Taylor is going to be Taylor and I am just going to have to accept the mistakes going forward. That's who he is.

Little: Didn't play great and didn't play bad. Had one bad selection for the day, but he just didn't hit his open looks. Nothing wrong with that. He took care of the basketball, found open people, and did the little things that needed to be done to warrant extended playing time in the second half. He was one of the main reasons for the surge in the second half. He just didn't hit his open looks, but played really solid otherwise offensively and defensively.

ParisHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

kushaw, as always I enjoy your analysis. I so agree that the "play the underclassmen and let them sink or swim" posters should go jump in the lake and see what it feels like.

I've learned different skills and it's important to practice doing things right, not doing things wrong. I can't see how letting EJ and Selby lose to Nebraska will help their confidence and make them winners in a mythical March. This isn't the NCAA tournament pre-season, for Naismith's sake, it's the conference season and that means something right now.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks Parishawk. You and I've been coming to this site for a long time now and I was pretty fired up yesterday. A lot of "Newbies" coming out of the woodword. That's good and bad.............I think.

UmbertoConforti 3 years, 6 months ago

A very intelligent analysis. You are the front runner for the Jaybate Award.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, don't want the Jaybate award. He's way more intelligent than I.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 6 months ago

Taylor's decision making the last several games has been horrendous. I really feel for him cause it is very obvious to me he is quite a fragile head case. He tries so hard but IMO he thinks too much instead of playing ball. I just wish he'd let the game come to him and play and not THINK so damn much. The way he goes the way the team goes. It's a very dangerous situation and Self has to know that.

KUFan90 3 years, 6 months ago

I thought Little made two really stupid fouls, and both were frustration fouls.

He has to get that under control.

duanep5ku 3 years, 6 months ago

kushaw As always great insight and analysis of the game,thank you. I noticed some other's post yesterday commenting about Bill Self not playing Selby and some negative vibes on here about that decision. In truth Kansas fans with Josh on the floor and or EJ the team was -10 Pt's in the game and Bill went back to conservative mode and played well we all no who, but Bill got the win, which is the most important part. "Oh, don't get me wrong I'm not blaming EJ or Selby but their play in this game at-least kinda did put them on the bench. I do agree a lot with KEITHMILE I think TT is a bit fragile and Bill is working on keeping him in the game and his mind positive. TT we do need you on the floor but you are a JR now you should be the leader on the team and play smart, play under control,drive and kick out for the open three,control the game and the tempo.

Bill has giving everyone a chance to play for the most part this year but in truth EJ and Josh failed in this game to produce much. So Bill is trying to light a fire in them or at least Selby because EJ has always seemed to be on the short lease but he has gotten his chances. I think most of us on here realizes that this team has flaws and issues to deal with but to say Bill is not coaching would be a huge mistake.

The recruiting update about Ben, the fact that his mom was here during the game,hopefully it was a great experience for her to be at the game.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks Duane! I was a little fired up yesterday. Doesn't look like McLemore is going to make a decision until April though.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 6 months ago

Without Morningstar, KU loses this game. I shouldn't say this, as I know it's not the right long term approach, but I just wish he wouldn't shoot...

The 3 bigs on the court together also helped turn the tide, and it didn't hurt that Morningstar was in the game with them. No other guard on the team creates as much for the bigs as Morningstar. I would love to see the twins and TRob on the court together more often, but not sure how we would then work through a foul trouble situation amongst the 3.

Selby is not ready to play point. Bad game today, but he's still getting his sea legs under him. He's what, 6-7 games into his freshman year, and already has shown his ability to add a completely different dynamic to the team. That said, his taking over for Taylor at the point, as I keep seeing suggested, is just ridiculous; hasn't demonstrated the handles thus far to be the tasked as the primary ball handler.

Considering how infrequently it happens, it must either be discouraged or at least not encouraged, but I would really like to see the guards do more dribble penetration to draw the defense with the mindset of using the penetration to create opportunities for others.

How many second chance points did Nebraska score!?! Pretty frustrating. Missing shots is nothing to be ashamed of, but being treated like a prison girlfriend by an opposing team on the boards... Not giving up those second chance points should be a matter of personal and team pride - rebounding is a test of manhood.

Sadler is a good coach. He definitely proved that, and Nebraska should be really proud of their effort, despite coming up short.

kuae99 3 years, 6 months ago

It would be interesting to figure out why Josh had such good games the first two times out and has slowed considerably. It sounds like he's thinking about it too much.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree. Josh just need to play and react. He maybe overthinking.

Nick Cole 3 years, 6 months ago

Grammer police: "maybe" should be should be written as "may be" in this instance. Just for future reference.

TXjaybird 3 years, 6 months ago

Nice take on Selby. The guy has limitless potential, but potential doesn't help you win games. He has made some great shots this year, but the "slashing and breaking down defenses," everyone is talking about, has not been evident to me yet. I also don't think he will be ready for the NBA next year (good for KU), and anyone who thinks he is ready is not watching with a critical eye. Only getting swept up by the hype.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

Sadler is av good coach..not looking forward to the rematch.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

Just take out the 'v'...I guess I should have previewed in the preview.

jpmusic76 3 years, 6 months ago

Definitely, Brady ran the point in the second half extremely well. This game was definitely going down as home loss before coach Self made the switch. He ran the offense, fed the post, and helped make the most important play of the game (Morris to Brady back to Morris to Reed for 3).

Even just one more Selby or Johnson TO in the second half and this was most likely a home loss.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

Really good job of analysis kushaw, the only thing I have a disagreement about is that I thought Kieff got his head in the game the 2nd half and somewhat atoned for his first half.

Other than that..spot on.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 6 months ago

Today I have to disagree with kushaw, jhox and the other Brady supporters on here. I am not a Brady hater. I have never posted a negative comment about Brady on this site. In fact, my new wife is a Brady hater and we have gotten into arguments about his value. But yesterday, I specifically watched Brady as opposed to the flow of the ball to see where the merits actually lie.

On multiple occasions, Brady either let the ball handler get around him or allowed his man off the ball to get away from him. He was beat, and he had to play catch-up with his man. Frequently, another player had to help and this led to multiple easy baskets.

On offense, Brady is not making crisp passes and when his shot is not falling, his offensive value is not very high. Brady's value is in his leadership and calming influence. He knows the offense and should be able to help the offense flow when he is on the court. I just didn't see that yesterday.

I want Brady to succeed, I want him to play like he did last year and before, but I'm not seeing it right now. On the other hand, I think Tyrel could be our MVP so far this year. His game has taken a major leap forward. He drives, rebounds, and everytime he shoots I think it will go in. He's also playing better defense, although he still has room to improve.

Do not throw me in the "Brady haters" category, but I really was not thrilled with what I saw from him yesterday. I trust Self's judgement more than my own (and everyone else's) when it comes to this team, so if Brady is on the court, there is a reason. I just hope his shot starts falling soon and he gets some confidence. Without that, I don't think we go too far in the tournament.

hawkfan30 3 years, 6 months ago

Honestly I'm a Brady hater...I'm extremely hard on him because he's the oldest player on the team. I expect more out of him. However, this season my friends have even confirmed that Brady isn't playing well and my hating is justified, but I can't hate Brady for his play yesterday. I have to disagree with raprichard I saw Brady making hustle plays: The crazy save that ended in Reed's 3, the block on Nebraska's transition and I felt like his passing to the post was very crisp. He didn't try to lob it in he fired it to them and put the ball in a place that allowed whoever was playing the post to immediately make a move and score. I could care less if Brady made a bucket there is more to the game of basketball and Brady was smart enough yesterday to know he wasn't make shots and stop shooting (something Josh lacks the ability to do).

Now to the TT haters. He is a point guard, and a true point guard doesn't look to score first but pass and make his team better. I know many will argue that TT doesn't do this but stop complaining about him not scoring or shooting the ball well. Honestly do you want a point guard who hogs the ball all the time and thinks he needs to shoot it every time down the court. Isn't that the type of point guard that cost us the game against UNI last year.

I would like to see TT become more like Rus Rob and I think he is moving in that direction. The year we won the championship Rus played 27.5 minutes, averaged 7.3 points on 42% shooting, averaged 2.1 turnovers to 4.1 assists and shot 31% from 3. Rus also shot 77% from the line.

Right now TT is playing 26.9 minutes a game and averaging 9.1 points on 49% shooting, averaging 3.1 turnovers to 5.1 assists and shooting 31 percent from 3. TT is shooting 71% from the line. The numbers are very similar to a point guard that lead us to the national championship. TT actually has a better assist to TO ratio then 2008 Rus Rob. TT is at 1.64 and Rus Rob was 1.95. What TT lacks that Rus had is consistency but I believe that will come.

Robert Murphy 3 years, 6 months ago

What Robinson had that TT lacks is Sherron Collins coming off the bench. No Sherron Collins no title. Robinson was a mediocre talent who all but disappeared in the final four. Robinson and Taylor are two of a kind with Robinson playing a little better defense. Someone will have to come through (Selby or Johnson) if KU is to win another big twelve title.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 6 months ago

After reading a lot of these posts, I went back to the sports page to check the score to make sure we won the game. [posted with a smile]

Each game is another color that is appiled to the pallette of the season. So far that picture is quite brilliant although some shadows appear here and there. The goal of every journey is the destination, however, we need to enjoy the journey as well.

1] We played terrible in the first half and the beginning of the second half but we have a coach who is smart enough and has enough players to adjust and overcome.

2] We have a true "glue" guy and his name is not Brady...it's Tyrell. He is the steadying influence.

3] Once again, another game played without Travis. I think his return will help settle the rotation and make us better.

4] Everybody keep the conference season in perspective. Outside of maybe Texas Tech, every team is capable of beating every other team.

5] Saturday's game was a "lesson learned". The bonus is we did not have to pay the price of a defeat to receive the lesson.

6] A very, very tough game on Big Monday at Baylor. Da Bears losing to Iowa State isn't going to help either. It will sting if we lose to Calipari-lite, Scottt Drew. It may well happen, however but it won't be the end of the road.

7] At this point it would be neck and neck in the "Haters Poll" between Tyshawn and Brady. What a waste of time, energy and class.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

I would throw Oklahoma in that Texas Tech category.

741hawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Rational commentary. Nice Post, Oakville.

docileboy 3 years, 6 months ago

I was a big TT fan last year, but he is not getting it, he always looks out of control. Now Selby is starting to play like TT, if he can't do something spectacular they are not going to do anything. This includes guarding their opponent. In a play ground game I would pick TT and Selby, but in an organized contest I think I would go with Morningstar and Reed..

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

Through seven seasons at Kansas, Bill Self is 202-43 (.824 percent). 17-0 this season. 69 straight at AFH...time to give it a rest.

kushaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Impossible for him to throw the ball out of bounds considering he had zero turnovers. Do me a favor.......break up your post with some paragraphs. I stopped reading after "Brady threw the ball out of bounds" because that wasn't true.

Dan Harris 3 years, 6 months ago

Another typical worthless post by innnerb. Just diarrhea of the mouth!

melrank 3 years, 6 months ago

After all the Brady bashing I took the opportunity to watch the game again today. Many possessions I replayed multiple times just to see details I might have missed. Here's what I saw in the 2nd half:

Brady played defense as good as any guard we had and, arguably, better than any guard we had. This is an opinion, but it's easy to see if you know anything about basketball.

Brady fed the post 9-10 times that either directly lead to a bucket or a breakdown of the defense that lead to a bucket. That is more than all of our other guards combined for the entire game.

Brady's man rarely impacted the offensive glass.

Brady's hustle play with the save very well was the play of the game.

He only had 2 tipped passes that I saw and neither resulted in a turnover.

You are one of the following, tell me which:

1) a troll 2) a Brady hater for the hell of it. 3) Someone who doesn't really understand basketball

REHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Once again, in crunch time Bill Self found the combination for a win. Statistically fewer errors in this particular contest with Tyrel and Brady on the floor. Next game Selby might hit for 25, amass 7 assists, and once again look like a lottery pick. It does begin to appear that Taylor's game has become fairly static; and in a close contest, Bill Self might have to bench him in closing minutes. Of course he doesn't hang his head in personal dismay. His debits in concentration flow right on by his awareness for a sense of responsibility. I was really juiced to see him begin this season with upward productivity. But now I cringe too often when he crosses midcourt with the ball. Perhaps multi-tasking is beyond his natural capacity. Coach might have to get in his head with such instructions as, "For the first ten minutes of this game, do not shoot! Even if you have a wideopen slant for an easy layup, your job tonight is to accumulate as many assists as possible with no turnovers. In that 10 minutes, if you shoot the ball, you will be pulled from the game. At halftime, we will re-evaluate and issue new instructions." Ten minutes might be a bit long for TT's memory span, but I think it might be worth a try. His package, at least from the chin downwards, is essential to the maximum success of this team. Absolutely frustrating and sad lapses in focus.

KWufan 3 years, 6 months ago

Brady, stop guiding the ball when you shoot and just shoot it, there's no wrist snap on the follow through, that's why your missin, dawg. TT, keep putting forth the effort, but like someone else posted already, relax and just play. When you have a decent 3, shoot it, when you can drive to put up a floater do it, just like the first 2 yrs here. I don't see you shoot in close all that often after a halfcourt drive, only when your off of transition. Kieff's fine, he just had a bad game. Tyrel, what can you say, dude has become the face of KU this yr in my opinion, hardworking and tough. NOBODY could have envisioned him playing like this after seeing him as a freshman, big shots, tough drives to draw fouls or and ones, and good defense. T-Rob, glad to see your fire and explosiveness again, we need you badly to play with that passion the rest of the way. Marcus, as always our best and MOP for sure, awesome leadership and "want to" the second half. Amazing watching that flying tip in, OMG if you would have jammed that, the pregame vid board had an instant clip addition and the Fieldhouse would have blown ear drums out. Selby, you have alot to learn about the college game which will come with more experience. Knowing what you can and can not get away with on the court. Also think of the other teams, they know what you like to do and have detailed scouting reports, expect to be overguarded in some situations and have a counter to defeat it. Mario, that little leg kick thing you do hurts your shot a little, I know it makes you look like a Michael Jordan poster, but your stroke is fine you just loose a little balance as you release. But wonderful vision, solid D and I am seeing some GREAT effort, keep it up. What a gameplan Doc came up with, and the execution couldn't have been more perfect by the Corn boys in the first half. Immediate quick doubles on a Morris brother catch, great sagging into easy kick out passing lanes, and who the heck is the Brazilian kid, what a find he is. Close game, but we're learning how to be clutch, Marcus and Tyrel will hit those throws next time, better believe it.

Alohahawk 3 years, 6 months ago

To those Brady doubter/haters: Brady had no turnovers. That is the bottom line for his performance, and the reason for his extended playing time in this Nebraska game. Not saying he is better athletically or potentially for the future (he isn't) than TT, JS or EJ, but on this occasion, he was better for the team. Yes, Brady didn't score. But, most likely, he kept Nebraska from having as many chances to score, because he, Brady, didn't turn it over. HCBS basically said the same thing. And, the Hawks got the win, which was his, and I'm sure the team's, first priority. Come crunch time, conference games, you play to your strengths, and if they're not working, you try someting that does.

I doubt that in the overall picture a loss to this Nebraska team (in their final Big 12 game in Allen Fieldhouse and for current and future bragging rights) would have been beneficial to any member of the team. Especially, snce the Hawks still have to play them up in Lincoln. Some losses might be otherwise, but most of the time a loss can be more detrimental in the training process. (Not to say we didn't learn a lot by losing to UNI.)

There are many ways to learn. Imho, I doubt that any of those three guards (TT,EJ, and JS) would have learned any more by continueing their ragged play than they would have by sitting and watching from the bench. I have nothing against on the job training, and yes, most people learn from their mistakes. But you don't let someone working a production line continue to make the same mistakes, and ruin products. You take them off the line and retrain them before they're allowed back on the line. Then, if they haven't learned, you fire them. It isn't that each of these guards haven't had their initial court exposure (First game jitters). Each has had their share of on-court exposure. I'm confident that Coach Self will get them over their wayward ways. If not, as many on this board have posted, the season may be short lived.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 6 months ago

Having been a coach myself, you tell players who've had a bad game to keep your head up and move on. Selby knows he'll have better games. Hey, we may need his athleticism on Big Monday! Selby is a good player. He is a freshman, though. Hang in there, Josh. Keep working hard in practice. Rock Chalk!

saad007 3 years, 6 months ago

i think self needs to recruit a big time point guard for next year. nadir tharpe is decent but not great. we will need an exceptional guard and good recruiting class! Any thoughts on that fellows?

Alohahawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Most, if not all, of the good guards are taken for the 2011 class. As for Tharpe, the recruiting evaluators speak highly of Tharpe's point guard abilities. Most say he is a pass first, shoot second guard, with exceptional ball handling capabilities, and he rarely turns it over. If Selby stays, and improves as he should, we should be okay.

As for McLemore, Daniels and Chol: that would give us a top 5 recruiting class. I'm hoping we get at least two plus Tharpe.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 6 months ago

Tharpe is a true point, something we dont have now, and very much like Aaron Miles although smaller, but with a slightly better shot. His decision making and ball handling skills are his strength, along with his ability to drive the ball.

miamijayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Any of you who missed that Brady made 2 of the biggest plays of the game obviously were not watching the same game that I was. And did anyone else notice that Robinson looked like our only rebounder on the night?