Sunday, January 16, 2011

Selby sits and other Kansas basketball notes

Kansas guard Josh Selby knocks the ball away from Nebraska guard Brandon Richardson during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Nebraska

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Nebraska, 63-60 on Jan. 15, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 63-60 victory over Nebraska on Jan. 15, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler talks to reporters following his team's 63-60 loss to Kansas on Jan. 15, 2011.

Download podcast

Kansas University freshman Josh Selby, who had three points, four turnovers, one steal and no assists, sat the final 16 minutes. The combo guard was into the game emotionally, cheering as KU overcame a 10-point second-half deficit.

“I talked to him in the locker room. He is not that disappointed. I mean, we got the win,” KU junior Marcus Morris said. “After a while, you have bad games, but you can’t let bad games affect the team, affect anybody else.

“He’s like my little brother so I can talk to him and tell him, ‘Let that game go. We got the win. You had to sit out for a little bit, but hey, come back next game, come back to practice tomorrow ready to go and be ready Monday (at Baylor),’’’ Morris added.

KU junior Tyshawn Taylor also spoke with Selby in the locker room after the game.

“Josh is good. I don’t have to tell him much. He’s always ready to play,” Taylor said. “It’s coach’s decision. The five he (coach Bill Self) had in the game he felt was working so he stayed with it. It happens a lot with people. He’s cool, not moping around, not pouting about it.

“Josh understands,” Taylor added. “He knew how it was going, how he was playing at the time. We are all about winning. As long as we do that, everybody is happy. He’ll bounce back and play better next game.”

Releford update

Travis Releford (ankle sprain) missed his second straight game. Self said Releford was doubtful for Monday’s game at Baylor. It’s expected he’ll be back for next Saturday’s home game vs. Texas.

1,000-point club

Morris became the 53rd player in KU history to score 1,000 points. He has 1,001 points and 505 rebounds.

“I’ve got good teammates who pass me the ball. I love my teammates. They love me,” Morris said. “If I didn’t get 1,000 and we still won the game, it (not hitting 1,000) wouldn’t matter. It was good to get it at home.”

Little things

Self on KU’s needing to do little things to mount a comeback: “We used the analogy after the game of, ‘You’re down three runs in the ninth inning and coming up to bat, get hit by the pitch, take a pitch off the knee or whatever, make sure you get a base-runner,’’’ Self said. “We’re trying to make great plays. We’re trying to hit a triple. We’re just not playing very smart.”

This, that

KU’s 1971 Final Four team was introduced at halftime. The 1952 title team was introduced during a first-half timeout. ... The mother of recruit Ben McLemore attended the game. McLemore, a 6-5 senior from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will attend either KU or Missouri next season. ... KU is 17-0 for the first time since the 2007-08 season, when the Jayhawks opened 20-0. ... KU is 2-0 in the Big 12 for the fifth straight season. .... KU is 169-71 all-time against Nebraska, including a 30-3 mark since the inception of the Big 12. ... KU has won 16 in a row versus NU; 12 in a row in Allen. ... NU, which is headed to the Big Ten next season, likely will never visit the fieldhouse again. ... Tyrel Reed hit four of seven threes. ... KU set season lows for points (63), field-goal attempts (50), two-point field-goal attempts (29) and free-throw percentage (52.6) and tied season lows for points in a half (25), rebounds (32) and steals (five). ... NU’s 19 offensive rebounds and 43 total rebounds set season highs by a KU opponent.

Comments

miamijayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Any of you who missed that Brady made 2 of the biggest plays of the game obviously were not watching the same game that I was. And did anyone else notice that Robinson looked like our only rebounder on the night?

William Blake 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm 99% sure there are some antlers amongst our blogging body, spreading their disease and hate.

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Most, if not all, of the good guards are taken for the 2011 class. As for Tharpe, the recruiting evaluators speak highly of Tharpe's point guard abilities. Most say he is a pass first, shoot second guard, with exceptional ball handling capabilities, and he rarely turns it over. If Selby stays, and improves as he should, we should be okay.

As for McLemore, Daniels and Chol: that would give us a top 5 recruiting class. I'm hoping we get at least two plus Tharpe.

saad007 3 years, 3 months ago

i think self needs to recruit a big time point guard for next year. nadir tharpe is decent but not great. we will need an exceptional guard and good recruiting class! Any thoughts on that fellows?

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

Having been a coach myself, you tell players who've had a bad game to keep your head up and move on. Selby knows he'll have better games. Hey, we may need his athleticism on Big Monday! Selby is a good player. He is a freshman, though. Hang in there, Josh. Keep working hard in practice. Rock Chalk!

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

To those Brady doubter/haters: Brady had no turnovers. That is the bottom line for his performance, and the reason for his extended playing time in this Nebraska game. Not saying he is better athletically or potentially for the future (he isn't) than TT, JS or EJ, but on this occasion, he was better for the team. Yes, Brady didn't score. But, most likely, he kept Nebraska from having as many chances to score, because he, Brady, didn't turn it over. HCBS basically said the same thing. And, the Hawks got the win, which was his, and I'm sure the team's, first priority. Come crunch time, conference games, you play to your strengths, and if they're not working, you try someting that does.

I doubt that in the overall picture a loss to this Nebraska team (in their final Big 12 game in Allen Fieldhouse and for current and future bragging rights) would have been beneficial to any member of the team. Especially, snce the Hawks still have to play them up in Lincoln. Some losses might be otherwise, but most of the time a loss can be more detrimental in the training process. (Not to say we didn't learn a lot by losing to UNI.)

There are many ways to learn. Imho, I doubt that any of those three guards (TT,EJ, and JS) would have learned any more by continueing their ragged play than they would have by sitting and watching from the bench. I have nothing against on the job training, and yes, most people learn from their mistakes. But you don't let someone working a production line continue to make the same mistakes, and ruin products. You take them off the line and retrain them before they're allowed back on the line. Then, if they haven't learned, you fire them. It isn't that each of these guards haven't had their initial court exposure (First game jitters). Each has had their share of on-court exposure. I'm confident that Coach Self will get them over their wayward ways. If not, as many on this board have posted, the season may be short lived.

KWufan 3 years, 3 months ago

Brady, stop guiding the ball when you shoot and just shoot it, there's no wrist snap on the follow through, that's why your missin, dawg. TT, keep putting forth the effort, but like someone else posted already, relax and just play. When you have a decent 3, shoot it, when you can drive to put up a floater do it, just like the first 2 yrs here. I don't see you shoot in close all that often after a halfcourt drive, only when your off of transition. Kieff's fine, he just had a bad game. Tyrel, what can you say, dude has become the face of KU this yr in my opinion, hardworking and tough. NOBODY could have envisioned him playing like this after seeing him as a freshman, big shots, tough drives to draw fouls or and ones, and good defense. T-Rob, glad to see your fire and explosiveness again, we need you badly to play with that passion the rest of the way. Marcus, as always our best and MOP for sure, awesome leadership and "want to" the second half. Amazing watching that flying tip in, OMG if you would have jammed that, the pregame vid board had an instant clip addition and the Fieldhouse would have blown ear drums out. Selby, you have alot to learn about the college game which will come with more experience. Knowing what you can and can not get away with on the court. Also think of the other teams, they know what you like to do and have detailed scouting reports, expect to be overguarded in some situations and have a counter to defeat it. Mario, that little leg kick thing you do hurts your shot a little, I know it makes you look like a Michael Jordan poster, but your stroke is fine you just loose a little balance as you release. But wonderful vision, solid D and I am seeing some GREAT effort, keep it up. What a gameplan Doc came up with, and the execution couldn't have been more perfect by the Corn boys in the first half. Immediate quick doubles on a Morris brother catch, great sagging into easy kick out passing lanes, and who the heck is the Brazilian kid, what a find he is. Close game, but we're learning how to be clutch, Marcus and Tyrel will hit those throws next time, better believe it.

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Once again, in crunch time Bill Self found the combination for a win. Statistically fewer errors in this particular contest with Tyrel and Brady on the floor. Next game Selby might hit for 25, amass 7 assists, and once again look like a lottery pick. It does begin to appear that Taylor's game has become fairly static; and in a close contest, Bill Self might have to bench him in closing minutes. Of course he doesn't hang his head in personal dismay. His debits in concentration flow right on by his awareness for a sense of responsibility. I was really juiced to see him begin this season with upward productivity. But now I cringe too often when he crosses midcourt with the ball. Perhaps multi-tasking is beyond his natural capacity. Coach might have to get in his head with such instructions as, "For the first ten minutes of this game, do not shoot! Even if you have a wideopen slant for an easy layup, your job tonight is to accumulate as many assists as possible with no turnovers. In that 10 minutes, if you shoot the ball, you will be pulled from the game. At halftime, we will re-evaluate and issue new instructions." Ten minutes might be a bit long for TT's memory span, but I think it might be worth a try. His package, at least from the chin downwards, is essential to the maximum success of this team. Absolutely frustrating and sad lapses in focus.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, it showed up that Brady is a drag to the team. No points at all. He was the only one that played that didn't score, so what did he do that was great, not much at all. Save the ball once, couple rebounds, one assist, lost his man and fouled, threw the ball out of bounds. That has been pretty much his record this year. That sums it up, not much at all for 29 mins of play. That right there puts a lot of pressure on the others to score, which is not fair for the other players. I am just saying that Brady is not a very good player at all, especially for a 5th year senior. With the way NU players played yesterday, Brady would be sitting on the bench for Doc Sadler if he was with NU. Reed, last year was as bad as Brady is this year but, Reed has turned it around and has been the leader for the guards. That is why KU got beat by Northern Iowa, poor guard play.Taylor is not the player that he should be but, I have to give him credit for a least doing something feeding the post and scoring a few points, which is more than Brady. I have been hard on Self and he is not the only KU coach that I have been hard on, all of them, Williams, Brown, Harp, Owens, and yes even Allen at times. I have attended games under all these coaches and of course watch on tv, in later years as a person gets older and have problems getting around. Self is a good coach but, I have never seen a coach play a player like Brady, the way that Bill is doing it now under all the coaches mensioned above, I have seen games at Ku, and away, where if I was coach Harp, I would have sit Wilt Chamberlain on the bench for a while. One night comes to mind when Ku came up to the old coliseum (Nebr.) in I think 1957-1958 and Ku loss by 2 points on a last second shot by a NU player. Wilt didn't play that good that night and Dick didn't pull him out for a while, NU players were smaller and pushing Wilt around all night. Needless to say I wasn't real happy with Dick on that one. I am not saying that Wilt should be sitting all the time, no, not at all. If it wasn't for Wilt, Ku would not be where it is today, by a long shot. The only thing Brady is consistent at is not showing not much at all and not producing. We have other players that are contributing more, with less mins, and they are the ones that need the mins. As many people have said that Bill and Brady is a drag to this team. There is a time when players need mins and a time, that they need to be benched and Bill is miss handling that. Guard play is the problem with Ku and if Bill doesn't get it corrected it's going to be a short season.

docileboy 3 years, 3 months ago

I was a big TT fan last year, but he is not getting it, he always looks out of control. Now Selby is starting to play like TT, if he can't do something spectacular they are not going to do anything. This includes guarding their opponent. In a play ground game I would pick TT and Selby, but in an organized contest I think I would go with Morningstar and Reed..

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Does it really matter as long as we get the W, and our players learn what they are supposed to learn? Like Self said--why does anyone think we need a "loss" to teach lessons?

741hawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Rational commentary. Nice Post, Oakville.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

After reading a lot of these posts, I went back to the sports page to check the score to make sure we won the game. [posted with a smile]

Each game is another color that is appiled to the pallette of the season. So far that picture is quite brilliant although some shadows appear here and there. The goal of every journey is the destination, however, we need to enjoy the journey as well.

1] We played terrible in the first half and the beginning of the second half but we have a coach who is smart enough and has enough players to adjust and overcome.

2] We have a true "glue" guy and his name is not Brady...it's Tyrell. He is the steadying influence.

3] Once again, another game played without Travis. I think his return will help settle the rotation and make us better.

4] Everybody keep the conference season in perspective. Outside of maybe Texas Tech, every team is capable of beating every other team.

5] Saturday's game was a "lesson learned". The bonus is we did not have to pay the price of a defeat to receive the lesson.

6] A very, very tough game on Big Monday at Baylor. Da Bears losing to Iowa State isn't going to help either. It will sting if we lose to Calipari-lite, Scottt Drew. It may well happen, however but it won't be the end of the road.

7] At this point it would be neck and neck in the "Haters Poll" between Tyshawn and Brady. What a waste of time, energy and class.

hawkfan30 3 years, 3 months ago

Honestly I'm a Brady hater...I'm extremely hard on him because he's the oldest player on the team. I expect more out of him. However, this season my friends have even confirmed that Brady isn't playing well and my hating is justified, but I can't hate Brady for his play yesterday. I have to disagree with raprichard I saw Brady making hustle plays: The crazy save that ended in Reed's 3, the block on Nebraska's transition and I felt like his passing to the post was very crisp. He didn't try to lob it in he fired it to them and put the ball in a place that allowed whoever was playing the post to immediately make a move and score. I could care less if Brady made a bucket there is more to the game of basketball and Brady was smart enough yesterday to know he wasn't make shots and stop shooting (something Josh lacks the ability to do).

Now to the TT haters. He is a point guard, and a true point guard doesn't look to score first but pass and make his team better. I know many will argue that TT doesn't do this but stop complaining about him not scoring or shooting the ball well. Honestly do you want a point guard who hogs the ball all the time and thinks he needs to shoot it every time down the court. Isn't that the type of point guard that cost us the game against UNI last year.

I would like to see TT become more like Rus Rob and I think he is moving in that direction. The year we won the championship Rus played 27.5 minutes, averaged 7.3 points on 42% shooting, averaged 2.1 turnovers to 4.1 assists and shot 31% from 3. Rus also shot 77% from the line.

Right now TT is playing 26.9 minutes a game and averaging 9.1 points on 49% shooting, averaging 3.1 turnovers to 5.1 assists and shooting 31 percent from 3. TT is shooting 71% from the line. The numbers are very similar to a point guard that lead us to the national championship. TT actually has a better assist to TO ratio then 2008 Rus Rob. TT is at 1.64 and Rus Rob was 1.95. What TT lacks that Rus had is consistency but I believe that will come.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 3 months ago

Today I have to disagree with kushaw, jhox and the other Brady supporters on here. I am not a Brady hater. I have never posted a negative comment about Brady on this site. In fact, my new wife is a Brady hater and we have gotten into arguments about his value. But yesterday, I specifically watched Brady as opposed to the flow of the ball to see where the merits actually lie.

On multiple occasions, Brady either let the ball handler get around him or allowed his man off the ball to get away from him. He was beat, and he had to play catch-up with his man. Frequently, another player had to help and this led to multiple easy baskets.

On offense, Brady is not making crisp passes and when his shot is not falling, his offensive value is not very high. Brady's value is in his leadership and calming influence. He knows the offense and should be able to help the offense flow when he is on the court. I just didn't see that yesterday.

I want Brady to succeed, I want him to play like he did last year and before, but I'm not seeing it right now. On the other hand, I think Tyrel could be our MVP so far this year. His game has taken a major leap forward. He drives, rebounds, and everytime he shoots I think it will go in. He's also playing better defense, although he still has room to improve.

Do not throw me in the "Brady haters" category, but I really was not thrilled with what I saw from him yesterday. I trust Self's judgement more than my own (and everyone else's) when it comes to this team, so if Brady is on the court, there is a reason. I just hope his shot starts falling soon and he gets some confidence. Without that, I don't think we go too far in the tournament.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 3 months ago

Really good job of analysis kushaw, the only thing I have a disagreement about is that I thought Kieff got his head in the game the 2nd half and somewhat atoned for his first half.

Other than that..spot on.

jpmusic76 3 years, 3 months ago

Definitely, Brady ran the point in the second half extremely well. This game was definitely going down as home loss before coach Self made the switch. He ran the offense, fed the post, and helped make the most important play of the game (Morris to Brady back to Morris to Reed for 3).

Even just one more Selby or Johnson TO in the second half and this was most likely a home loss.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 3 months ago

Without Morningstar, KU loses this game. I shouldn't say this, as I know it's not the right long term approach, but I just wish he wouldn't shoot...

The 3 bigs on the court together also helped turn the tide, and it didn't hurt that Morningstar was in the game with them. No other guard on the team creates as much for the bigs as Morningstar. I would love to see the twins and TRob on the court together more often, but not sure how we would then work through a foul trouble situation amongst the 3.

Selby is not ready to play point. Bad game today, but he's still getting his sea legs under him. He's what, 6-7 games into his freshman year, and already has shown his ability to add a completely different dynamic to the team. That said, his taking over for Taylor at the point, as I keep seeing suggested, is just ridiculous; hasn't demonstrated the handles thus far to be the tasked as the primary ball handler.

Considering how infrequently it happens, it must either be discouraged or at least not encouraged, but I would really like to see the guards do more dribble penetration to draw the defense with the mindset of using the penetration to create opportunities for others.

How many second chance points did Nebraska score!?! Pretty frustrating. Missing shots is nothing to be ashamed of, but being treated like a prison girlfriend by an opposing team on the boards... Not giving up those second chance points should be a matter of personal and team pride - rebounding is a test of manhood.

Sadler is a good coach. He definitely proved that, and Nebraska should be really proud of their effort, despite coming up short.

duanep5ku 3 years, 3 months ago

kushaw As always great insight and analysis of the game,thank you. I noticed some other's post yesterday commenting about Bill Self not playing Selby and some negative vibes on here about that decision. In truth Kansas fans with Josh on the floor and or EJ the team was -10 Pt's in the game and Bill went back to conservative mode and played well we all no who, but Bill got the win, which is the most important part. "Oh, don't get me wrong I'm not blaming EJ or Selby but their play in this game at-least kinda did put them on the bench. I do agree a lot with KEITHMILE I think TT is a bit fragile and Bill is working on keeping him in the game and his mind positive. TT we do need you on the floor but you are a JR now you should be the leader on the team and play smart, play under control,drive and kick out for the open three,control the game and the tempo.

Bill has giving everyone a chance to play for the most part this year but in truth EJ and Josh failed in this game to produce much. So Bill is trying to light a fire in them or at least Selby because EJ has always seemed to be on the short lease but he has gotten his chances. I think most of us on here realizes that this team has flaws and issues to deal with but to say Bill is not coaching would be a huge mistake.

The recruiting update about Ben, the fact that his mom was here during the game,hopefully it was a great experience for her to be at the game.

KUFan90 3 years, 3 months ago

I thought Little made two really stupid fouls, and both were frustration fouls.

He has to get that under control.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 3 months ago

Taylor's decision making the last several games has been horrendous. I really feel for him cause it is very obvious to me he is quite a fragile head case. He tries so hard but IMO he thinks too much instead of playing ball. I just wish he'd let the game come to him and play and not THINK so damn much. The way he goes the way the team goes. It's a very dangerous situation and Self has to know that.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Taylor: Like I said above, he did not play well today. The only difference between himself and EJ and Selby is that he didn't let the turnovers affect hiim mentally. He did show nice composure and played decent in the second half only having 1 turnover. However, his decision making is not good at the moment. Stripped crossing over (It's happening a lot lately), the terrible lob pass to Robinson (I don't mind it so much), but his entry passes aren't even close at the moment.

He did keep "Fighting" and that is what I've enjoyed seeing through Taylor's maturation from his freshman year. He did knock down that "3" in the corner (Suspect shot selection) and he that nice "And 1" in transition that got him started for the day. I did think that foul on Taylor was bogus. It was definitely a jump ball. Taylor is going to be Taylor and I am just going to have to accept the mistakes going forward. That's who he is.

Little: Didn't play great and didn't play bad. Had one bad selection for the day, but he just didn't hit his open looks. Nothing wrong with that. He took care of the basketball, found open people, and did the little things that needed to be done to warrant extended playing time in the second half. He was one of the main reasons for the surge in the second half. He just didn't hit his open looks, but played really solid otherwise offensively and defensively.

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob: He is without question the emotional sparkplug for this team. I love T-Rob because he and he alone energized this team when they needed. I thought T-Rob outplayed Kieff and deserved to be in at the end of the game. I know Robinson's FT's aren't stellar, but today he should have been in there. Maybe Kieff wouldn't picked up that terrible blocking call at half court with a 1:00 left in the game.

T- Rob scored 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 blocks in 16 minutes. He's back to his effiecient ways and it was terrific to see him smiling again. Outstanding performance by the true "Beast Mode".

Kieff: Kieff, like EJ and Selby, was totally out of it today. He got down on himself and his play continued to go down hill from there. His body language wasn't the best, but when everything isn't going right, he needs to find away to "Fight" and he didn't show any of that today. Diaz and "Big Country North" outworked Kieff for most of the game especially on the boards. I still hate him shooting 3's from 1 pass in the possession, but I've just now resorted to the fact that it's going to happen every game much to my dismay. Kieff needs to get himself right mentally.

Selby: Just had one of those game. What's worse is that he had one of those games while also having to learn the hard way about playing through mistakes. Everybody has games like he did today, but he can't sulk, feel sorry for himself, or for that matter make a mistake by compounding it with another mistake, which is what he did today.

Mentally, he just wasn't in it today. He was a step slow on defense, his shot selection wasn't great, and something I thought I would never see from this kid............his confidence was shakin a little bit.

In the end, I'm not worried about Selby because he has something most players don't have and that's "It". He needs to remember that even when he's not playing well, that his confidence and swagger is what separates him from everyone else. He can "Impact" a game in his sleep and he just needs to remember to keep his composure. He'll be fine as long as he keeps his swagger. He lost his "Showtime" a little bit today. Just remember Josh, there is a reason why you're called "Showtime".

EJ: It's the same thing with EJ as it has been all season. Confidence! He's lacking confidence. He looked shaky with the ball all afternoon. He's tentative when he dribbles, and he can't get into the lane in a half court set as well as Morningstar can at the moment. EJ isn't even looking at the hoop a majority of the time. He had that nice 3 in the corner, but that's about it.

There is absolutely zero tenacity or aggressiveness from him at the moment. I don't want to say that EJ lacks "Fight", but I'm seeing a very tentative and scared kid playing basketball out there. Personally, I think somebody needs to talk trash to him and get in his face so I can "Something Else" from a personality standpoint from him.

cont'd

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually, KU after halftime only committed 3 turnovers, established, tempo, valued possessions, and swung the basketball into the post in it's sets. A big credit for the second half turnaround and surge was Marcus, Reed, Morningstar, and T-Rob. Without those 4 guys, KU loses this ball game and Nebraska wins it's last ever game inside the Phog.

Player of the Game: Tyrel Reed for keeping his composure, fighting for every possession and loose ball, and simply being the leader that he is. He scored 16 points off of 4-8 shooting and hitting 4-7 from downtown. Reed's confidence is at an all-time high and you could actually see Reed getting very mad about the possibility of losing. His 3 boards, 3 assists, and 0 turnovers (Almost a perfect game) is the reason why he is the runaway leader in this category.

Marcus: Had a sluggish first half, but the difference between himself and Kieff is that he didn't sulk and get frustrated. There were a couple of times I think he wanted to, but he fought through the frustrations of being double teamed and let the game come to him. That's what All-Americans do. That late offensive rebound putback to tie the game at 45 was huge and showed Marcus' all around character.

Morningstar: This is a game that Brady's "Impact" was huge. 0 turnovers, 3 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 block all in 29 minutes. In this one game without looking at any other game, Morningstar showed why he is a leader and dependable player on this team. When EJ and Selby just didn't have "It" today, Morningstar, a solid role player stepped in and did his job. That's what good teams do.

Morningstar's shot is still pathetic at the moment, but he did everything else well today. Entry passes into the post after terrific perimeter ball movement, penetration finding shooters multiple times, and played pretty stellar defense multiple times with the shot clock winding down in the second half.

As much as people want to rant negatively towards Morningstar, I still believe his best position on this team is PG. He's not going to be a player that scores (We all know that), but nobody is better at getting the team into the "Offensive Flow" than Morningstar. What about him not being able to speed the game up, KUShaw? Well, I think Morningstar proved today that he can keep pace as long as it's a controlled fast tempo. He also can penetrate more than people give him credit. No, he's not going to the rack with his penetration, but he can get into the middle of the paint and look for his posts and perimeter players.

Let's note one thing about Morningstar and my analysis, I'm not saying he deserves or not deserves 29 minutes going forward. If all cylinders are clicking with the rest of the team, I like to see 15-20 minutes, but when other guys like EJ and Selby are having off nights than I have no problems with Morningstar getting his 29 minutes. He deserved every minute "Today".

cont'd

kushaw 3 years, 3 months ago

I've never been so fired up over blog comments during a game that I feel obligated to set the record straight. This game was a story of two halves and the only 4 players who showed up to play today were Reed, Marcus, Morningstar, and T-Rob.

Posters will point to the fact that EJ and Selby hardly played in the second half and Morningstar had 29 total minutes. What it boils down to is that Nebraska and Kansas in 2011 is bigger than any one player or coach for Kansas.

With Nebraska leaving for the big 10 next year and possibly never returning again to Allen Fieldhouse it was with the utmost importance to get the "W" at all cost. This was a game not about saving face for anybody's feelings especially despite some of the fans views that EJ and Selby should have played in the second half especially over Morningstar who played a great game.

With that said let's break down the game:

1st Half: KU simply did not show up in the first half. Taylor, Selby, and EJ combined for 9 turnovers and Selby and EJ combined for 6 of those turnovers. KU committed 12 first half turnovers which is just careless. Valuing the basketball was something that was not a high priority for KU during the first 20 minutes. I can without a doubt say that the 6 turnovers that Selby and EJ committed in the first half was not the reason why they hardly played in the second half.

Their shot selection, their demeanor, their body language, and their reactions to negative plays and mistakes is what sat them the entire second half. What it ultimately boils down to is that they started feeling sorry for themselves and they sealed their own fate by the character they displayed and showed on the court. I'm not knocking either one of those players, but chalk it up to a learning experience. Both are the conrnerstone of this program going forward, but "Today" they didn't have it. This is what Self talks about when being focused for 40 minutes.

As far as rebounding goes, KU just got outworked all over the boards and at one point KU was down 18-8 in the first half. Kieff's turnovers, shot selection, and body language IMO should have put him in the doghouse with EJ and Selby. I think rebounding and turnovers were the two biggest issues in the first half. The rotations on the double in the post were horrific as multiple dump downs with uncontested lay ups occurred. I'm not a fan of this set defense, but when run efficiently it is effective. Today, however, it wasn't effective.

2nd Half: This is a half where the underclassmen had to learn some lessons and the upperclassmen showed their experience. It it were up to me, I would have sat Taylor in the second half as well, but KU was limited on guards. The one difference on why Taylor played and EJ and Selby sat was because of Taylor's character and experience on the court. He didn't hang his head after mistakes and to his credit he only committed 1 turnover after halftime.

cont'd

ajhk 3 years, 3 months ago

Brady had some very good minutes. He was able to go out there, play both sides and not cough the ball up- something that Taylor, Selby and to a lesser extent EJ were unable to do.

While Brady and Reed were in (and we looked more stable) notice who was out for much of the time- Taylor.

On that note, why was Taylor consoling Selby? Taylor had another terrible game, unable to handle, defend and as always, shoot (though he had a decent percentage this game, he is not a go to or clutch scorer). It's time to let Selby have the 1 spot and work out the kinks. Taylor has physical ability but has not been able to strengthen his weaknesses or become any more consistent after two+ seasons as a starter. He is simply a liability in late game situations. This is not what a point guard should be.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Taylor excel. When he plays at full speed and makes good decisions, he really adds another dimension to the team. I just don't know where that guy's head is at.

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

What a hoot, Taylor's consoling peptalk to Selby. Somebody ought to provide Tyshawn with a peptalk. Two assists from a starting point guard at Kansas...who logs more than 20 minutes in a contest. Holy Moly!

kthawk 3 years, 3 months ago

So now the Brady minimizers understand his worth. They also hopefully understand the sanity of Self. Things go south, the flashy stallions are sped up. And, Self turn to Tyrel and Brady to bring calm to the troops and win the battle. Of course, that is what Self is all about: winning. And, C.S. does win, and he wins often.

Coach Self wins often because he sees what the ignorant critics on this sight blindly refuse to see. Self sees talent and he sees competency. And, where talent and competency meet, well that is where you will find Brady.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

......The mother of recruit Ben McLemore attended the game. McLemore, a 6-5 senior from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will attend either KU or Missouri next season. ..

Is this really news?