Monday, February 28, 2011

The biggest winner? Tyrel Reed could become all-time winningest Jayhawk

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed celebrates a dunk by teammate Josh Selby against Miami (Ohio) University during the first half, Sunday, Jan. 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Born in Kansas and raised as a Kansas University basketball fan, Tyrel Reed now has a chance to become the winningest Jayhawk player of all-time.

“I mean, that would be really awesome, just considering everyone that’s played here — all the great ones,” said Reed, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from Burlington who has been part of 124 KU victories against just 16 losses.

“It’s a tribute to all the great teams I’ve been on here, all the great teammates I’ve had as well,” added Reed, who is six wins shy of tying Sherron Collins’ 130-win mark compiled from 2007 to 2010.

The Jayhawks, who take a 27-2 record into Wednesday’s 8 p.m. Senior Day contest against Texas A&M, have two games remaining in the regular season. KU could play as many as three games in the Big 12 postseason tournament and six in the NCAAs.

“It’d be a really cool honor, but nothing I really think about,” Reed said of emerging as No. 1 Jayhawk in the all-time win column.

Truth be known, the unassuming Reed would love to set the mark with fellow Kansan Brady Morningstar.

Morningstar, however, is credited with just 120 victories. The 37 games his red-shirt sophomore season do not count in his win total, instead replaced by the 33 victories his true freshman season.

“I feel blessed Brady and I were able to play here at Kansas,” Reed said of Lawrence native Morningstar, who also will be honored on Senior Day with Reed and Chicago senior Mario Little.

“I’m not saying that it’s the coolest thing ever, but we are fortunate enough to have been out there and excited about it.

“I played with Brady in high school. He was on my AAU team when I was younger. I didn’t get to know him then. I’d say even my freshman and sophomore years we were not as close as I’d have liked or thought we’d have been. As our junior and senior years rolled around, we’ve gotten to be real close and good friends. He is just a funny kid. I enjoy being around him. I’m glad we’ve got a lot of experiences and memories to share the rest of our lives.”

Morningstar — he agrees it took a while for him and Reed to bond — said, “Our first few years we never talked about the things we had in common, like both being from Kansas. I hung out with Sherron and Shady (Darrell Arthur), and he was always with Cole (Aldrich) and everybody else. The past two years we’ve gotten pretty close and have become great friends.”

Morningstar smiled when asked if Reed is everything he appears to be to outsiders — a polite, intelligent, three-time academic All-Big 12 pick and current first-team Academic All-American almost too good to be true.

“Yes, he is,” Morningstar said. “He is a great kid. I mean, first-team Academic All-American. That’s as impressive as it gets. You don’t get that by just getting by in school. You have to do extra stuff. He deserves that for sure.”

Also, “He’s a really good player,” Morningstar said.

Reed is KU’s only player to have started all 29 games.

He’s second on the team in minutes (27.4 a game) and fourth overall in scoring (9.8 points) with a team-leading 56 threes in 143 tries.

“I’m sure there were (doubters), me being from Kansas ... a small-town school,” he added. “Not getting the national recognition that a lot of the other players who come here have. I just tried to never doubt myself, always be confident and try to do the best I can.”

Reed needed a moment to reflect when asked where he’d have attended college had KU passed on recruiting the Burlington bomber.

“I don’t know. I was being recruited by coach (Roy) WIlliams at North Carolina. I signed in the fall (of senior year). If I’d waited until the spring, I think I might have gone there or maybe ended up at Stanford or some place,” Reed said.

He’s happy to have gobbled up a scholarship offer at KU.

“I have supreme love for the game and supreme love for the place I’m at now,” said Reed, who remembers asking former KU player Paul Pierce for an autograph one summer at Williams’ basketball camp.

As far as where he’ll wind up after KU?

A 3.65-GPA student, Reed graduated in December with a degree in pre-physical therapy and exercise science. He’s been accepted into KU Medical School’s physical-therapy program, with the option of delaying enrollment to fulfill his dream of playing pro basketball.

“I’ve not thought about it a lot. I’m focused on this season and want to finish it the right way,” Reed said. “If I had the opportunity to go play basketball, I think it’d be a cool experience. I’d do my best and take that opportunity.”

He finds it impossible to believe his home career ends Wednesday night. Tipoff is 8 p.m., with the seniors to be introduced with their families before the game and speeches to follow after the final horn.

“It’s pretty crazy. I try not to think about it at all,” Reed said of not being able to run through the northwest tunnel again. “I don’t want to act like there’s going to be an end. I know there’s going to be a last game, and it’s coming up Wednesday night, and I can’t hold onto it. I’ve just got to let it come and enjoy it.”

Comments

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 3 years, 1 month ago

Well done Tyrel! You're one of our favorite Jayhawks ever! Class act that represents the school well.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Nice comments. Kudos to Reed. I bet I know who wants to play KSU again: the Jayhawk team! Especially Kieff...(and we get TRob back).

Alohahawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know that I'm completely happy coming in the backdoor to lead the conference, but I'll take it. Afterall, the current two lose record isn't exactly backing in. And, with two games left before the Big 12 Tourney, we still have work to do before the Jayhawk name can be added to another championship trophy.

Thanks KSU. To bad the Wildkitten's future may rest with Pullen's hand/wrest injury. I'd rather it isn't serious, because it gives an excuse for any future loses (ala Irving at Duke).

One at a time, Hawks. Texas A&M is all that matters right now. So, don't get complacent. Conceivably, if we win on senior night, the nets could be cut for at least a share of the Big 12 Championship. What a way to end the all but defunct Big 12 Conference, if we were to win or tie the last seven seasons. RCJHGKU..

100 3 years, 1 month ago

Good game by 12 steps' squad.

Curtis Kelly really controlled the paint.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

All we have to do is run the table for two games and our 7th Big 12 title in a row is ours! Rock Chalk, baby!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 1 month ago

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

BALLS in our court now for outright big12championship!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 1 month ago

anybody watching the ksu/texas game?

sure getting tired of these big 12 refs.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 1 month ago

Since when does this forum become a place to belittle and offer caustic remarks against fellow Jayhawks? Is it possible to be respectable and civil in one's commentary? Really.... grow up.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 1 month ago

Reed, now there is a senior who knows how to play KU basketball, maybe 6-pack Brady could take a lesson or two from him. Budweiser Brady a 5th year senior comes up short of even coming close to Reed. Brady is a dump.

KansasComet 3 years, 1 month ago

Mario Little will be at Senior Night as well.

Jayhawker413 3 years, 1 month ago

Man, I hope the kitties can pull one off tonight in Austin.. who's with me?

keith horinek 3 years, 1 month ago

Some stats to ponder as we get ready for senior night. The assists per game are a direct credit to our seniors....... 2010-11 OVERALL RANKINGS: POINTS PER GAME 83.8 4th REBOUNDS PER GAME 38.4 30th ASSISTS PER GAME 18.4 1st FIELD GOAL PCT .523 1st

Hank Cross 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel has come a long way. For most of last season I lumped him and Brady together, but then towards the end he stepped it up. When I saw him at Cal game, he was getting more rebounds than you would think because he was quicker to the ball and wanted it more. I think the physicallity he brings to the game makes him better than Haas.

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 1 month ago

Kudos to Tyrel Reed for all his hard work, perseverance and intensity. Don't know what he's like off the court but on court he's all business. Like it! I'll take his kind of effort and focus over credentials, entitlement and pedigree any day.

Keep up the great work ethic, let the game come to you and finish out as a champ!!!

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 1 month ago

BYU a possible one seed? can we be in their semifinal side of the bracket? (tee he, i know, we have to get there first).

i believe if we sweep this week, we'll be a one seed for sure. no matter what happens in the tourney. i mean, for us to lose in the 1st round of the Big 12, would be a stunner....so we'll make the semis for sure...and that would give us at least a 30-3 record, with probably still a top RPI mark, (although we're 2nd right now.)

we could end up 32-2...which would be the mark last year...with basically a whole new team.....especially with our main guys. so kudos to the coaches for an outstanding season. should be a fun next couple of weeks.

ParisHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

AP poll also has us second (courtesy of lehighvalleylive.com ;-) ) First place votes in parentheses.

1. Ohio St. (45)
  2. Kansas (14)
  3. BYU (5)
  4. Duke (1)

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

That #1 ranking amounts to a foulmouthed kiss. Best not to touch it until the breathspray of Tournament's end. Rock Chock!

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 1 month ago

Ohio St. Jumped us in the coaches poll to go to number one. They recieved 17 votes for number one, we recieved 14. I would rather stay at number two anyway, polls mean nothing right now.

JayHok 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel reminds me of Jerad Haase. We are blessed here at Kansas. There's no 'i' in team.

R o c k c h a l k j a y h a w k

KULA 3 years, 1 month ago

Anyone know if the pregame ceremonies will be streamed or broadcast anywhere? I'm sure ESPN won't get to the game until about the 12 minute mark.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, the new bracketology is out and there are two things that I took away from Lunardi's new brackets. He's usually pretty on par with his predicitions seed wise. He may get it wrong regionally and locations, but seed wise he's usally right on.

1) If the NCAA committee does anything similar to what Lunardi has in his bracket than I'm a little concerned. I hate it when the NCAA underseeds teams because they supposedly don't play in a "BCS" or "Power Conference". You know, last year UNI was in the Top 30 of the Ken Pom rankings and there was no way they deserved a 9 seed. The same could be said if the NCAA committe takes the same path as Lunardi.

What on earth has Utah State done to earn an 8 seed? I don't mind it if KU should or would have to play them, but IMO that is a terribly bad seed for the #17 ranked squad based on kenpom rankings and the #18 ranked RPI in the country. It just doesn' make sense to me.

2) Another thing that drives me nuts and Lunardi did this in his bracket is pair up teams that have already played once or even twice this season. Again, I don't mind playing Zona again, but why pair the same two teams on the same side of the bracket? Again, it doesn't make sense and it's unnecssary IMO.

Here is the new bracket:

Brian Leiker 3 years, 1 month ago

"might not be the smartest guy on the court" unless we've played some Ivy League teams this year, I'm gonna go with yes you are. Last year when playing Harvard maybe, and that's a big maybe, you might have come in 2nd

William Blake 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel + Brady = the Beastie Boys

"You've got to fight for your right..."

These beasts have fought for their right to wear KU jerseys.

I respect and admire them both, and will miss seeing them on the court. It will take quite an adjustment next year to replace their minutes.

I have to mention a more recent Jayhawk... Mario... who is busy now leaving his mark on the program and fans. He will be missed, too.

12steps 3 years, 1 month ago

Awwwwwwww man, more Kleenex Puhleeze.............

JHWK 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about the rest of you, but every Senior Night is very emotional for me. I feel like I know these kids, yet I haven't met a player since I ran into Scott Pollard at the Yacht Club during my last year at KU.

Last year I was nearly inconsolable as I listened to Sherron - and mind you, I'm in Chicago, so I had to listen to it the next day. Just as I was during 2008 when we had the privilege of listening to DJ.

What may make it the hardest on Wednesday is when we have to say good-bye to Tyrel and Brady on their last nights on the floor at our beloved AFH. Granted, Brady doesn't have squeaky clean reputation that Tyrel does, but they have both been essential contributors for the four years they have played. Tyrel, however, has done what you hope your own son or daughter will do someday, and that is embody sportsmanship, camaraderie, student, hustle, determination, team, focus and spirit. I'm sure I missed an important noun, but Tyrel has been Kansas Basketball by the manner with which he conducts himself, and it has been my honor to bear witness to his outstanding career, and wish him the best of luck in the future.

Rock Chalk, Seniors! We love you very much and thank you for your profound contribution to our lives and Kansas Basketball!

Woody Cragg 3 years, 1 month ago

One of the most solid & dependable guys I've seen play anywhere. Desrves to be in the rafters IMO.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 1 month ago

My brother worked as a sportswriter for local papers, first in Independence (KS) and Eudora and covered both Tyrel and Brady, and has been talking up Tyrel since he first signed on as a Jayhawk. Didn't know what to think at the time, but he was definitely right. Tyrel has turned out to be talented, steady, dependable, and a high quality starter for one of the best teams in the country!

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

I've said this before that Tyrel Reed reminds me of Lee Humphrey. I just hope Reed catches fire in this year's NCAA tournament like Humphrey did in the 2007 NCAA tournament. Humphrey definitely shot a little more, but the statisitics are pretty similar, especially with Reed hitting a higer percentage here in the second half of the season.

Lee Humphrey Senior Season:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG 2006-07 40 30.4 10.3 47.5 45.9 69.2 1.3 1.3 0.0 0.5

Also, Humphrey shot 89-206 from downtown for 43% in his regular season games plus 3 SEC tournament games.

Once the NCAA tournament rolled around he shot 25-46 for 54% in his 6 games which increased his percentage by almost 3 percent to end his senior season.

Tyrel Reed Senior Season:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG 2010-11 29 27.4 9.8 42.4 39.2 82.6 1.9 2.8 0.24 1.48

So far, Reed is shooting 39 percent from downtown (56-143) with potentiall 5 games to go before the NCAA tourney so I definitely think his percentage will increase. I mean, he was shooting 34 or 35 percent to start the season and he's gradually increased with every game since mid-season.

Also, Reed did shoot 47% last year from behind the arc, but that was in almost half his minutes (15 vs 27). So the potential is there and I like the comparison. I think Reed does more for this team than just shoot the ball based on the statistics.

With all this said, I like Reed's Role on this team and it's one of the few roles on the team that is clearly defined. I don't know if its a plus or negative, but I am hoping rotations and roles become a little more defined with the two final regular season games and heading into the Big 12. Outside of T-Rob, The Twins, and Reed there is a lot of uncertainity with KU's rotation and it has me a little nervous heading into post season play.

HawkBBall 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel is the poster child for this sport. Academic 1st team All-American. Steady defense. Team player. Money shot.

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel will be missed. Good luck to him in whatever he ends up using his talents for.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

The LJW's Plano Kid and Italian Viking, Eric Sorrentino, needs an intervention.

The Italian Viking of sports writers has suggested that Jordan Hamilton of the University of Baja Oklahoma Shorthorns is his expectation for Big 12 POY (player of the year) with Marcus Morris a possiblility.

Picking Jordan Hamiliton ahead of Marcus Morris is like:

Picking Texas barbecue over Kansas City barbecue for BOC (barbecue of the century);

Picking Gwyneth Paltrow over Beyonce for DOY (Diva of the Year); and

so on.

E-man, you are not in Plano anymore.

You are not in Flint anymore.

You are in reality central.

Jordan Hamilton and his faux conference leaders got where they are by catching KU without sleep, or practice, after a tragedy.

NU beat them.

KSU will beat them tonight.

KU will beat Baja Oklahoma into West Texas where all mediocre tumble weed basketball programs belong.

Quick Jayhawk nation. Give Eric an intervention.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel is the guy every coach in America would love to have on their team. His hard work on the court speaks for itself. His academic all-american honor speaks for itself. Every time Tyrel sinks a trey, it is so exciting when it hits the bottom of the net. I will miss cheering you on after this season, Tyrel. Jayhawk Nation will miss you. There is still a lot of season left, though. Make us proud! Wait---you already have----Rock Chalk!

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel's determinatiion and work ethic blends into the nighttime bubble of a coach's dream. Just imagine, if he possessed the quickness and reach of a Tyshawn Taylor.

mikehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Social psychologists will tell you that research demonstrates our VERY best friends are those we started out not liking that well and ended up liking later. It sounds like this might describe the relationship between Tyrel and Brady. Wednesday night will be emotional for all three seniors for divergent reasons. The 2010-11 reality show continues...It would be great for Tyrel to get that record. One win at a time, however.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

And the 11 team has two advantages over the 08 team, when healthy.

First, by Late February, and if healthy, the Twins and TRob probably were better defensively than Arthur, Jackson and Kaun. Kaun's mobility was greatly hampered. Arthur was not as dominant defensively as any of the 11 team's bigs.

Second, the 11 team is much deeper on the perimeter than the 08 team. That depth, when the team is healthy, let's the 11 team make up some of the gap between its perimeter defenders and those of 08 team.

My conclusions are:

a) season stats understate how good both teams are, when healthy;

b) if the 11 team were healthy, by the end of the season end, it's better bigs and greater depth would enable it to come close to parity with the 08 team and it big advantage with Rush, and it's lesser advantages with charmers and RR.

c) the 08 team was healthy down the stretch, so it was better when it counted; and

d) the 11 team is probably not going to return to health down the stretch and so it will not finally be able to approach how good the 08 defense was.

To bad about the injuries,too, because healthy I think the 11 team was on a path to nearly equal the 08 defense albeit defending in a less spectacularly aggressive way.

But nothing is written.

Talented young men who decide to climb seemingly unscalable mountains sometimes do. The adversity they have already overcome is extraordinary.

I TRob's knee heals, and Tyrel's heel gets better, and josh's foot gets better, and Tyshawn's broken fingers heal, and Travis' ankle comes around, and Withey's strength ever restore from sickness...well, you never know.

Funhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel's story reminds me of Mark Turgeon playing at KU. Its nice to see native Kansans make the team and see their dreams come true.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Defensive stats comparing 11 with 08 have been evaluated on jesse's blog. They were very interesting. They generally confirm one's intuition; that the 08 team defense was maybe not as much better as we recall. But, numbers without context sometimes also hide as much as they reveal and in any case some context adds some nuance towhat the numbers suggested.

The 11 team falls short of the 08 team in overall defensive stats for several reasons but not as far short as one might think.

1. The 11 team had Rush. The 08 team has no one comparable. From midseason on the 08 team could dominate any team with it's defense.

2. Had Rush been healthy from the start, the 08 edge would have been greater still.

3. On the other hand, the 11 team has had to play the middle third of the season with only two bigs (TRob out or injured) and a first third with the Twins heavily foul prone. This has forced KU to defend much more conservatively inside, which has forced KU to play more conservatively on the perimeter.

4. Further, the 11 team has had to play with more injuries and suspended games on the perimeter than the 11 team.

Bottom line is: the 08 team would have had sharply better defensive stats with Rush healthy a full season, and with Rush on the floor, had a higher defensive ceiling than the 11 team, when each team's best defensive 5 were on the floor.

But, the 11 team's stats would be much better too, if everyone were healthy.

chaggs 3 years, 1 month ago

Said it last year. Gonna say it again!

How cool would it be to give seniors a trophy "key" to the Phog on senior night? If anyone was on the bubble of indecision, it might be enough incentive to come back just to get their "Key to the Phog".

Any thoughts?

Justin Carlson 3 years, 1 month ago

There is not another Jayhawk in recent memory that is more deserving of this milestone! The fact that he is a native Kansan only makes it more exciting for me personally. Having watched Tyrel play in HS and now in Lawrence! Bring it home TR, bring it home. Central KS is damn proud your success!! The fact that he is not from an elite prep school or a top 100 HS makes it special for all of us small town Kansas basketball fans!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

"I hung out with Sherron and Shady (Darrell Arthur), and he was always with Cole (Aldrich) and everybody else."

Translation: I smoked, he didn't.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

Win or lose, you know Tyrel will be at the Holidome for the banquet!

Lance Hobson 3 years, 1 month ago

So he's been on the coat tails of lots of winners, now it's time for him to step up and contribute. He needs to hit the big threes in the tourney, that's the only way we'll win.

massjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Vote for Tyrell for the Senior Class Award. You can vote every day. Cast your vote for Tyrell: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/mens_basketball_2010-11/

100 3 years, 1 month ago

A lot of you might have missed this gem the other night (it was posted way at the end of the day). This has to be one of my favorite sports stories I've seen in a long time regarding any player in any time period for any team. This is from a few days ago from a poster right here on this website. The poster's name is trader.

"I was in Burlington, Kansas years ago taking a motorcycle riding class at the high school. We went inside to do our classroom work and walked past the gym. There was this young scrawny kid in there shooting 3 point shots. Our instructor said "that kid" is going to be playing basketball at Kansas after he graduates from high school next year. I asked how he got access to the gym during the summer months. I was told his dad was the high school coach. And, he added that "the kid" practices for hours on end every day."

Kye Clark 3 years, 1 month ago

“I’m sure there were (doubters), me being from Kansas ... a small-town school,” he added. “Not getting the national recognition that a lot of the other players who come here have."

I'll admit to being one that thought Reed was just a body filling out a recruiting class; we had an extra scholarship so why not reward the Kansas kid? I certainly didn't envision him playing the role he has this year. Congrats to Tyrel for everything he has worked so hard for. He's definitely earned it!

100 3 years, 1 month ago

ESPN analyst Bob Knight also loves Tyrel Reed & thinks he embodies everything that is right about how a player should play the game.... In case you don't know or have forgotten who Bob Knight really was in his heyday, here's a little refresher....

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 1 month ago

“I’ve always tried to be a hard worker,” Reed said. “I know I am not going to be the most athletic, most talented, fastest, smartest kid out there, but I just try to make up for it with hard work and determination and doing your best. ... I just tried to never doubt myself, always be confident and try to do the best I can.”

That, my friends, is what I call the poetry of the heart. This is why I love to watch the college hoops game, and could care less about the pros. It's what makes Kansas basketball a team that is also a family.

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!! ROCK CHALK!!

100 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyrel Reed.... Embodies "all for one & one for all...."

T E A M!!!!!!!

dmc8142 3 years, 1 month ago

Love our seniors this year. This could be a very special year!