Monday, February 7, 2011

KU football player Chris Omigie arrested on DUI

Kansas receiver Chris Omigie pulls in a pass during warmups prior to kickoff against Texas A&M on Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 outside Memorial Stadium.

A Kansas University football player was arrested over the weekend on a drunken driving charge.

According to Douglas County Jail records, a KU Public Safety officer arrested 19-year-old Chris Omigie around 2:30 a.m. Saturday after a traffic stop near 21st Street and Naismith Drive on suspicion of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

Omigie posted $500 bond Saturday and was given notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court Feb. 16, according to jail records.

“He is still a member of our team. Coach (Turner) Gill will handle the discipline internally,” Jim Marchiony, a KU associate athletics director, said Monday.

Omigie played in 10 games last season as a redshirt freshman wide receiver. He is originally from Arlington, Texas.

Scott Miller, a staff attorney for the city, said in criminal cases in Kansas prosecutors must prove a driver’s blood-alcohol content was 0.08 percent or more whether the driver is of legal drinking age or not. But a driver under the age of 21 can face driver’s license restrictions if his or her blood-alcohol content was at least 0.02 percent, he said.

Comments

djgratt59 2 years, 11 months ago

Let He who has never been drunk at 21st and Naismith Dr. cast the first stone. **and (qualifier) if not, you should be stoned for posting here!!

Blake Post 3 years, 1 month ago

Stupid player. Let us calculate what he could lose.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Is Omigie related to Curtis Kelly?

Jim Stauffer 3 years, 2 months ago

It seems to me almost everyone I hear condemning Omigie are fellows who have done essentially the same thing. Yet no one seems to go to the root of the problem. Everyone wants a 19 year old kid to be able to drink but to have the good sense after drinking to be responsible.

The problem here is drinking. That in turn led to drinking and driving which is often deadly.

Stop it one step sooner and admit that drinking is not a positive in any situation.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, kal. As I alluded to above, it's always irked me greatly that people brush off drunk driving like it's no big deal. The fact is that there's a huge amount of luck involved as to whether you get off with a slap on the wrist or do jail time for manslaughter. Just because someone gets lucky and doesn't happen to end up in a situation where his lack of reaction time causes a tragic accident doesn't mean that a DUI should be seen as just another "boys will be boys" moment.

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

100 pushups and make him run 25- 100 yrd dashes out in this freezing below cold weather. I mean thats what Mangino probly would have done if he didnt punch him in the face a few times.

kal110386 3 years, 2 months ago

I had a friend killed by a drunk driver 2 years ago. So before you go saying driving drunk is just a dumb mistake, go ahead and ask people who have lost family and friends to drunk drivers. It stops being a "dumb mistake" when you put OTHER people's lives at risk.

Fred Davis 3 years, 2 months ago

I wasn't aware that only thugs drink and drive... The kid got a DUI, allegedly. The problem will get taken care of, T-Gill will issue a statement about the kid's poor judgement, he might miss a game or two and it'll be a non-issue moving forward. Give it a rest.

squawkhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Why is it that KU gets all the thugs? I thought Gill was suppose to be in control and fix this kind of thing?

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 2 months ago

Gill, needs to take the bottle away rather then cell phones, girls, and their names on the back of the jersey. Maybe Budweiser Brady and Chris were doing a celerbrating before the game Sat. night. These type of things happened up here at NU when Gill was here, he will know how to kick this under the rug like NU does.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

Jhawkrulz said it best: driving drunk is a BIG deal. I can't even begin to express how sick I am of all the apologists who say, "Hey, we all did stupid things when we were 19." Yes, I did my share of stupid things, but they did not involve taking a loaded weapon out on the roadways. If drunk driving were treated as seriously as it should be, there would be a whole lot less of it and a whole lot of lives would be saved. And I speak as a liberal who is generally opposed to a lot of the "law-and-order" excesses.

I'm also a little concerned about the statement that Gill will be handling discipline internally. I think that's a ridiculous statement to make at this point. It would have been much better to have a statement come out like, "If it is true that he was driving under the influence, that is extremely disappointing, and we will decide what if any discipline to apply once we know more details about the situation." That would leave things open to the possibility of a suspension, rather than what it sounds like now, which is that it will be brushed aside with a slap on the wrist.

It will be interesting to see if anything more comes out of this.

HawkChalk29 3 years, 2 months ago

Please, give me break. "Gill will handle the discipline internally”. Take it as is. He will still contribute to our KU football team unless he screws up again. Omigie will be a good WR for our football team.

kranny 3 years, 2 months ago

Omigie will get no playing time next year anyway. He'll transfer at the end of the season.

milehighhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I heard he was doing shots with Turner Gill, and Turner Gill bet him he couldn't drive home.

I hate that Turner Gill SO MUCH.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Well said, KGphoto.

The fact is that rules are in place for a reason. If there are not rules there is disorganization, lack of discipline, lack of character, lack of self-control, lack of work ethic, lack of just about everything it takes to create and sustain a winning football program.

The young man made a mistake. I'm sure he will be disciplined for his actions accordingly, but I seriously doubt Turner Gill is a man that holds grudges and Omigie will still make a huge impact on next year's season if he continues to improve himself in the offseason.

You guys that are bashing because of his rules is just childish..plain and simple. Grow up already.

KGphoto 3 years, 2 months ago

I see all the TG bashers who started to backpedal after the solid recruiting class are out like vultures. Must be nice to have any little morsel to jump on. Dyin' to hate! Gimme a break.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 2 months ago

the "DUIs can be beat ad" ....right under this story...priceless.

red_devil 3 years, 2 months ago

How did Mario Little get a pass? He was suspended from games and sentenced community service. In addition, d**ks like you got to bash him repeatedly in a public newspaper forum without knowing all of the facts.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree that this isn't a HCTG problem; however, those of you that don't think this is a big deal are sorely wrong. There are a lot of "what ifs" that could happen when people choose to drink and drive. I know that everyone of the people that post on this site, if they got a call from their buddy who said "hey I have had a drink can you come get me" even at 2 in the morning, would get up and go get the friend. Fact of the matter is I'm glad no one was hurt in the incident and I hope that others learn before this occurs by another student.

sdoyel 3 years, 2 months ago

The Turner Gill bashing never stops. Such terrible supporters this University has...

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 2 months ago

A KU public safety officer? He couldn't have just had him park the car and made him walk home?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 2 months ago

Omigie didn't "execute" on his roadside DUI test

Omigie didn't "believe" he could pass a breathalyzer

Omigie will remain on the team but 3 other players seen leaving GSP at 11pm have been suspended indefinitely

Omigie will not be suspended for next seasons home opener. We need all hands on deck when FCS opponents come to memorial track and field.

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 2 months ago

Not nearly as bad as what Mario Little did, but he'a bball player he get's a pass with you blind ass idiots

oldalum 3 years, 2 months ago

I thought those curfew rules only applied during football season. And it could have been worse. Read on one of the sports web pages, ESPN maybe, that OKSt. basketball player was arrested for rape.

DevilHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Great...yet another off-season with problems - KU really does not need this type of attention.

Every person should know better than to risk a DUI...especially those that are under 21. It's far better to pass out at a friend's house.

We will need to wait until they come forward with evidence.

oldalum 3 years, 2 months ago

I thought those curfew rules only applied during football season.

Topcitykid10 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey a college kid made a dumb mistake, C'mon man !!

Dickless Head 3 years, 2 months ago

So much for having a team that doesn't end up on the police blotter.

That was the one positive in having Turner coaching this team. It was a positive I didn't particularly care about, because I just want to win football games. But I know it meant a lot to a lot of you on here.

So much for that. Now we suck, have a crappy coach, and still have a team full of thugs.

Idea: If we're going to have players who drink and drive and break the law, let's at least make it worthwhile and have a football coach and team who are GOOD.

greenworld 3 years, 2 months ago

As long as he wasnt on his cell phone, thats all TG cares about.

notigers4me 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand those that somehow believes that Turner Gill and his coaches can keep tabs on their players 24/7. Omigie who is technically a man has made a childish mistake. He will suffer he consequences of is actions and hopefully he will learn from them and move on with his life.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 2 months ago

TG only wants to know if their were any girls involved

phog1004 3 years, 2 months ago

simply put....a very stupid move by someone who is supposed to contribute a lot this next year (although, it's not like it really effected Brady and his standing with the BBall team....dude is tearing it up right now)

jayhawkjed 3 years, 2 months ago

Whaa!?!? He's out after 10 pm. Come on Gill. If you can't enforce the rules, why have them?

phog1004 3 years, 2 months ago

I guess I didn't realize Coach Gill was supposed to ride with Omigie where ever he goes

thebigspoon 3 years, 2 months ago

How can this be ? He is ony 19 ? Come on Turner...