Monday, February 7, 2011

KU football player Chris Omigie arrested on DUI

Kansas receiver Chris Omigie pulls in a pass during warmups prior to kickoff against Texas A&M on Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 outside Memorial Stadium.

A Kansas University football player was arrested over the weekend on a drunken driving charge.

According to Douglas County Jail records, a KU Public Safety officer arrested 19-year-old Chris Omigie around 2:30 a.m. Saturday after a traffic stop near 21st Street and Naismith Drive on suspicion of operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol.

Omigie posted $500 bond Saturday and was given notice to appear in Lawrence Municipal Court Feb. 16, according to jail records.

“He is still a member of our team. Coach (Turner) Gill will handle the discipline internally,” Jim Marchiony, a KU associate athletics director, said Monday.

Omigie played in 10 games last season as a redshirt freshman wide receiver. He is originally from Arlington, Texas.

Scott Miller, a staff attorney for the city, said in criminal cases in Kansas prosecutors must prove a driver’s blood-alcohol content was 0.08 percent or more whether the driver is of legal drinking age or not. But a driver under the age of 21 can face driver’s license restrictions if his or her blood-alcohol content was at least 0.02 percent, he said.

Comments

thebigspoon 3 years, 6 months ago

How can this be ? He is ony 19 ? Come on Turner...

jayhawkjed 3 years, 6 months ago

Whaa!?!? He's out after 10 pm. Come on Gill. If you can't enforce the rules, why have them?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Didn't you really mean, "If you can perfectly enforce the rules, so that there will be no one breaking the rules, why have the rules?"

Or were you meaning, "I'm a Gill hater, so I will twist anything mentioned into a reason to bash him."

Rivethead 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure the Turner Gill rules apply during the off season when the coaches can have limited contact with the players.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

TG only wants to know if their were any girls involved

jayhawkdon 3 years, 6 months ago

Another stupid post by ahper. Nothing new here.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

I actually thought of the same thing....you forgot to ask if he swore at the officer as well...

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

Just as note, I posted this to be funny...nothing more.

Sean Rodger 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey dbag - it's "there" not "their".

2nd grade english class called - it said they need you to come back.

Rivethead 3 years, 6 months ago

When I was in 2nd grade English class they made me capitalize English.

Blake Post 3 years, 6 months ago

"their" is the possessive, stupid. Go to School.

notigers4me 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand those that somehow believes that Turner Gill and his coaches can keep tabs on their players 24/7. Omigie who is technically a man has made a childish mistake. He will suffer he consequences of is actions and hopefully he will learn from them and move on with his life.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 6 months ago

A perfect case of forgive and move on, and hope he learned his lesson. I can't even begin to count all the stupid things I did when I was 19. It's easy to be judgmental, but we should all look in the mirror before casting stones. Now, if he doesn't learn from this and continues to do such irresponsible things...then you have a major problem.

Dan Harris 3 years, 6 months ago

+1, most of the posters on here probably should have been in the back of a squad car at one time or another during college(myself included on more then one occasion) but somehow we "lucked"out

KSseahawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Been there...but they actually let me ride in the front and had a great conversation. At one point, the officer looked at me and said, "you know...we don't get many like you." Which I took as a compliment. Lawrence cops are the nicest guys!

Blake Post 3 years, 6 months ago

If you got caught, the potential loss was not nearly so great as that for a player at a Division 1 school.

greenworld 3 years, 6 months ago

As long as he wasnt on his cell phone, thats all TG cares about.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Are you channeling Ahper or one of the other ignorant bashers?

Topcitykid10 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey a college kid made a dumb mistake, C'mon man !!

buttsauce 3 years, 6 months ago

Come back after he crashes into your daughter.

JBurtin 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't think I'll be taking sage advice from anyone named "buttsauce" any time soon.

Seriously man....buttsauce...what the hell kind of name is that?

oldalum 3 years, 6 months ago

I thought those curfew rules only applied during football season.

DevilHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Great...yet another off-season with problems - KU really does not need this type of attention.

Every person should know better than to risk a DUI...especially those that are under 21. It's far better to pass out at a friend's house.

We will need to wait until they come forward with evidence.

oldalum 3 years, 6 months ago

I thought those curfew rules only applied during football season. And it could have been worse. Read on one of the sports web pages, ESPN maybe, that OKSt. basketball player was arrested for rape.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 6 months ago

Hey dumbass, Mario sat out multiple games for what he did and will appear in court later in the year. How was it worse ? Do you really know what transpired ? I highly doubt it. Too many folks on here forget these guys are kids, and we ALL made mistakes when we were young. The trolls are out..............

DevilHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Little sat out for a month and cooperated in making a deal with the police. I think that the main deciding factor in Little's case is that he is a senior. It's possible that they could have changed his entire life for the worse had they placed a major penalty on him. Instead, the hope is that he learned his lesson and is focused on being a good person.

Brady's situation might be a better reference point for your comment, but Brady sat out for one month after getting his DUI - on the highway, if I'm correct.

If there is evidence to support a DUI charge, then Omigie will probably work out a diversion plan - probably something along the lines of taking a program like AlcoholEDU and sitting out for one or two games.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 6 months ago

Omigie didn't "execute" on his roadside DUI test

Omigie didn't "believe" he could pass a breathalyzer

Omigie will remain on the team but 3 other players seen leaving GSP at 11pm have been suspended indefinitely

Omigie will not be suspended for next seasons home opener. We need all hands on deck when FCS opponents come to memorial track and field.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 6 months ago

A KU public safety officer? He couldn't have just had him park the car and made him walk home?

sdoyel 3 years, 6 months ago

The Turner Gill bashing never stops. Such terrible supporters this University has...

squawkhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Well, when the university starts making good decisions then maybe it will stop. Things have been a mess for a long time with little signs of getting better.

squawkhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree that this isn't a HCTG problem; however, those of you that don't think this is a big deal are sorely wrong. There are a lot of "what ifs" that could happen when people choose to drink and drive. I know that everyone of the people that post on this site, if they got a call from their buddy who said "hey I have had a drink can you come get me" even at 2 in the morning, would get up and go get the friend. Fact of the matter is I'm glad no one was hurt in the incident and I hope that others learn before this occurs by another student.

Dan Harris 3 years, 6 months ago

Much better to get a call at 2am to go and pick up a drunk friend then a call at 5am from the parents of a friend who was in an accident and at the hospital . They needed to be picked up at the airport. I went and picked them up and drove them to the hospital but she didn't make it. Worst day of my life.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 6 months ago

the "DUIs can be beat ad" ....right under this story...priceless.

KGphoto 3 years, 6 months ago

I see all the TG bashers who started to backpedal after the solid recruiting class are out like vultures. Must be nice to have any little morsel to jump on. Dyin' to hate! Gimme a break.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Well said, KGphoto.

The fact is that rules are in place for a reason. If there are not rules there is disorganization, lack of discipline, lack of character, lack of self-control, lack of work ethic, lack of just about everything it takes to create and sustain a winning football program.

The young man made a mistake. I'm sure he will be disciplined for his actions accordingly, but I seriously doubt Turner Gill is a man that holds grudges and Omigie will still make a huge impact on next year's season if he continues to improve himself in the offseason.

You guys that are bashing because of his rules is just childish..plain and simple. Grow up already.

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 6 months ago

The college mates that I saw get out of control the most were the ones who had the most strict parents growing up. Treat them like adults and they'll act like adults.

lv_jhwk 3 years, 6 months ago

How many examples should I start listing for you to shoot your "treat them like adults" theory down? Actually, how about I give just one that is perfectly relevant...Brady Morningstar and his own DUI.

I really wish Coach Self would do a better job of treating his players like adults.

milehighhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I heard he was doing shots with Turner Gill, and Turner Gill bet him he couldn't drive home.

I hate that Turner Gill SO MUCH.

kranny 3 years, 6 months ago

Omigie will get no playing time next year anyway. He'll transfer at the end of the season.

HawkChalk29 3 years, 6 months ago

Please, give me break. "Gill will handle the discipline internally”. Take it as is. He will still contribute to our KU football team unless he screws up again. Omigie will be a good WR for our football team.

actorman 3 years, 6 months ago

Jhawkrulz said it best: driving drunk is a BIG deal. I can't even begin to express how sick I am of all the apologists who say, "Hey, we all did stupid things when we were 19." Yes, I did my share of stupid things, but they did not involve taking a loaded weapon out on the roadways. If drunk driving were treated as seriously as it should be, there would be a whole lot less of it and a whole lot of lives would be saved. And I speak as a liberal who is generally opposed to a lot of the "law-and-order" excesses.

I'm also a little concerned about the statement that Gill will be handling discipline internally. I think that's a ridiculous statement to make at this point. It would have been much better to have a statement come out like, "If it is true that he was driving under the influence, that is extremely disappointing, and we will decide what if any discipline to apply once we know more details about the situation." That would leave things open to the possibility of a suspension, rather than what it sounds like now, which is that it will be brushed aside with a slap on the wrist.

It will be interesting to see if anything more comes out of this.

squawkhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Why is it that KU gets all the thugs? I thought Gill was suppose to be in control and fix this kind of thing?

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

If so, how did we miss out on Delonte Hill-KSU assistant basketball coach, or Samuels & Pullen's "discount clothiers" or Bill Walker and his "towel hydration" act? What about Bruce Walker, Mizzery assistant football coach or Blaine Dalton-kicked off QB for their DUIs? Then there's Stefhon Hannah fighting the wait staff (and losing, BTW) at the Athena club over a dine & dash incident and Kalen Grimes' shotgun butt assault. What about Lawrence Phillips, Justin Jackson and Maurice Purify at Nebraska? Michael Sipili at Colorado is an accused rapist (at an institution with a long history of sexism and sexual assault allegations too numerous to recount here...), Hunley and Thompson and Tao'fo'ou at Iowa State were recently arrested for disorderly conduct and DUI respectively. Stepping out of the Big 12 North there's Justin Blackmon's DUI at OK-State and far, far too many to name at OU and Texas. And that's just the Big 12 in recent history.

The lists of offenses, offenders and involved colleges are endless squawky. It's not solely within the ranks of KU and you know it. For every example you can cite at KU, there are likely equal or greater numbers at any other college.

Here's a quote you may enjoy: "This is happening everywhere,'' said Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, the former head football coach for Kansas State University... ``So many of them (players) have a background where, when they walk out their front door at home, the only thing they see is a drug dealer or a drive-by killer or people getting shot at.'' http://www.thefreelibrary.com/COLLEGE+FOOTBALL+CRIMINALS+%3A+VARIOUS+INCIDENTS+INVOLVING+DIVISION+I...-a083853437

Happening everywhere, squawky? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

squawkhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

No, according to most it doesn't happen in this town nor at this school. Sad, very sad.

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure where you get that sense of denial by the home troops. That's not what I see and hear from all the Hawk fans I talk to. They cringe the same way I do whenever bad news comes out. If you read a paper or listen to sports talk radio one iota, it's pretty hard to ignore the media coverage of anything negative whether it is DUI's, burglary charges, fights between BB & FB players, etc. And then there's the institutional issues-Lew Perkins, ticket scandal, Joe College, etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong-I'm absolutely sick of all the negative publicity. But to state (as you did above) that KU "...gets all the thugs." is completely inaccurate and unnecessarily inflammatory as I demonstrated. That's exactly the type of comment I would expect to read on the KC Star boards from someone like "Playhard" or "Chickenscheat". Innacurate and hypocritical-plain and simple.

And BTW, I'm not sure a DUI violation equates to "thug" behavior, but I used your definition as a baseline for the examples I noted above.

Fred Davis 3 years, 6 months ago

I wasn't aware that only thugs drink and drive... The kid got a DUI, allegedly. The problem will get taken care of, T-Gill will issue a statement about the kid's poor judgement, he might miss a game or two and it'll be a non-issue moving forward. Give it a rest.

squawkhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I guess all is fine as long as he wasn't talking on his cell phone past 10 p.m.

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

Get it straight squawky. It's no ladies after 10 p.m. and no cell phones on game nights.

greenworld 3 years, 6 months ago

100 pushups and make him run 25- 100 yrd dashes out in this freezing below cold weather. I mean thats what Mangino probly would have done if he didnt punch him in the face a few times.

actorman 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, kal. As I alluded to above, it's always irked me greatly that people brush off drunk driving like it's no big deal. The fact is that there's a huge amount of luck involved as to whether you get off with a slap on the wrist or do jail time for manslaughter. Just because someone gets lucky and doesn't happen to end up in a situation where his lack of reaction time causes a tragic accident doesn't mean that a DUI should be seen as just another "boys will be boys" moment.

Jim Stauffer 3 years, 6 months ago

It seems to me almost everyone I hear condemning Omigie are fellows who have done essentially the same thing. Yet no one seems to go to the root of the problem. Everyone wants a 19 year old kid to be able to drink but to have the good sense after drinking to be responsible.

The problem here is drinking. That in turn led to drinking and driving which is often deadly.

Stop it one step sooner and admit that drinking is not a positive in any situation.

squawkhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Is Omigie related to Curtis Kelly?

bad_dog 3 years, 6 months ago

Are you related to jayhawkinneb or hawknhutch?

Blake Post 3 years, 6 months ago

No. He is related to Blaster the Burro for obvious reasons.

Blake Post 3 years, 6 months ago

Stupid player. Let us calculate what he could lose.

djgratt59 3 years, 4 months ago

Let He who has never been drunk at 21st and Naismith Dr. cast the first stone. **and (qualifier) if not, you should be stoned for posting here!!