Originally published December 13, 2011 at 02:11p.m., updated December 13, 2011 at 03:04p.m.

KU basketball player Ben McLemore arrested after failing to appear in court for minor in possession case

Ben McLemore, a Kansas University freshman basketball player who is ineligible to play this year, was arrested on a warrant Tuesday morning for failing to appear to court.

According to Douglas County District Court records, McLemore, 18, received a ticket Nov. 4 from a state Alcoholic Beverage Control officer for being a minor in possession of alcohol. The officer alleged that McLemore was found with a Red Bull and vodka at Abe and Jake’s Landing, 8 E. Sixth St.

The freshman from St. Louis was given notice to appear in court Dec. 6, but a judge issued a bench warrant for his arrest when he didn’t show up, according to court records. According to Douglas County Jail records, a sheriff’s officer arrested McLemore on the warrant at 11 a.m. Tuesday on campus. At 1:50 p.m. Tuesday, McLemore posted $500 bond through a bondsman and was given notice to appear in court Dec. 27.

The NCAA in October declared McLemore, as a partial academic qualifier, ineligible to play in games in the 2011-2012 season, and, according to the ruling, he would be allowed to practice beginning in January.

“Ben was arrested today for missing a Dec. 6 court date, which is obviously not acceptable. Ben, not 21, was given a citation earlier for possession of alcohol at Abe and Jake’s, a local Lawrence establishment. He exercised poor judgment,” KU coach Bill Self said in statement. “He also did not let anyone know that he had been cited and had a court appearance because, certainly, we would have made sure he was there.

“This will be a learning experience for him and probably a fairly costly one. Any other discipline will be handled in-house. He should begin practicing with our team when grades are turned in (following the fall semester).”

Comments

jgkojak 3 years ago

Well, looks like even if he were on the team he wouldn't be playing any time soon!

Brandon Pope 3 years ago

Why do these college athletes always fail to appear in court? It is not a suggestion fellas. If you do something stupid, go get your community service and be done with it. Unbelievable.

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

a] Immature b] Don't care c] Dumb d] All of the above

Joel Hood 3 years ago

...doubtful. Abe & Jakes is at 6th & Mass; courthouse is at 11th & Mass. I'm going with d] All of the above

Daniel Kennamore 3 years ago

He lives in the Towers...it's a 30 min walk to the courthouse even if you shuffle your feet.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Such a shame there is no sort of public transportation that could have gotten him there... maybe even one supplied through the University that picks up at the front door of his building and has drop off points downtown...

Also sad that there was no one else in the entire city of Lawrence that he knew with a car that could have driven him there if he just would have informed somebody....

tical523 3 years ago

Lol!!! I bet he had to walk to the bar. . .sucks.

Cole Hogan 3 years ago

i sincerely hope you are being sarcastic..

Vernon Riggs 3 years ago

e.) He is 18.

18-year olds do not make the best decisions. I know because I was 18-year old, on my own and living in Lawrence. Who didn't make a mistake?

Chandler James 3 years ago

its that immature reasoning. If I pretend like it didn't happen maybe everyone else will too and it will all go away

Scott Smetana 3 years ago

Definitely A. that's all. Thankfully nothing too serious. He'll hopefully learn from his mistakes, as we all should.

Matt Bowers 3 years ago

You never had a drink under age? The kid got caught and didn't show up to court for a reason we don't know...this is small potato's.

I thought the Xavier and Cincinnati game was maturity at its finest...this pales in comparison.

Rock Chalk

supersonicf111 3 years ago

Well, hopefully Cizar was referencing the fact that he didn't tell the coach, and didn't show up for court as the basis for his comment, not the drinking.

Not that I condone underage drinking, but it was far more immature not to tell coach about it, and not showing up to court. Did he think it would just go away???

Lord knows I did my fair share of underage drinking, and yes I did my fair share of immature things at his age as well.

Vernon Riggs 3 years ago

When you screw-up at 18-years old, was there a blog with 200 people telling you what an inmature fool you were?

Give him a break.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

Yes...at 18 I made many mistakes..missing a court date wasn't one of them.

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

Oh, for God's sake!!

Ben, what the heck are you thinking??? You keep this up and you may end up the best Kansas player who never played a game.

Red Bull and vodka!!!??? This can't be good!!!

JayhawkGrad05 3 years ago

FYI, the health of the drink has nothing to do with whether one thinks it tastes good or not.

Brandon Pope 3 years ago

You didn't say it tastes good. You said "it is good". It is not good, however you may think it tastes good.

... it doesn't taste good either :-)

Jonathan Allison 3 years ago

you may think that benzene tastes good, too.

JayhawkGrad05 3 years ago

And you didn't say it is not good for you. You said, "it is not good".

...As a side note, I don't drink anymore, so, I probably wouldn't like the taste today, either, but it tasted good to me at one time...:)

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

No, it's not bad. A young man's drink.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

Not for me..Strikewso calls it a young man's drink. Sounds about right. I remember Southern Comfort and Mountain Dew.

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

He's about to make a mountain out of a molehill.

supersonicf111 3 years ago

You mean he made a mountain out of a molehill, not about to??? As it's a done deal already!

Steve Gantz 3 years ago

What I meant was his molehill could turn into a mountain. Whatever.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

He now has another court date...just saying.

Brandon Pope 3 years ago

And if you are going to get caught with alcohol as a minor, can we please try to do it without painting such a classless picture? I mean, red bull and vodka? Can you get anymore cliche-college-frat-boy than that? Get a ticket for possession of a nice Merlot and then meet your court date for being an (slightly more sophisticated) idiot.

addlime 3 years ago

Exactly what I thought of when he suggested a merlot!

Jim Baker 3 years ago

"Merlot sucks!" (from Sideways)

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

I believe the correct quote is:

"We're not drinking any f###ing Merlot!!"

JayhawkLaw12 3 years ago

Yes, can we please get these 18-year-old kids to start drinking some merlot so that pretentious Jaydoc doesn't feel as though our university is some sort of cliché that diminishes the value of his degree? I mean, they must have AT LEAST an acceptable Cab at Abe & Jake's, right? Don't you all love the way that the aroma of a nice red mixes with the smell of sweat permeating from the dance floor? There really is nothing else like it. I insist you must try it. Oh, what's that? Recommending wine for 18-year-old kids at the bars makes me pompous? Oh really? Oh. Really. Okay, well they could at least go for a nice single malt, right? Guys?

Jeremy Bolinger 3 years ago

I'm actually suprised there isn't more of this happening.

FSUJHAWK 3 years ago

+1. I still remember the mid 90's burning trees with a few former and a current NBA baller at KU. Back then the football team and bball team got along real well as they provided most of the the Californa flora for consumption.

But yes, we were all stupid and I wouldn't be surprised if more was going on.

RCJHGKU!!!

Jace FitzGibbon 3 years ago

lol abe and jakes eh? bet it was a thursday night. cant go in that place over age on a thursday without 100 under age kids asking for drinks.

really cops can go into any bar in lawrence and catch underage kids... cough hawk cough

Jason Montgomery 3 years ago

or you could read the story and see it was a Friday

Jace FitzGibbon 3 years ago

pretty sure they updated it or something cause i dont remember it sayign the day. but your douchebaggery came acriss

Danny Hernandez 3 years ago

How'd he get caught and why weren't the coaches on his butt for not taking care of this violation.... Not the end of the world but for self's sake, please get it taken care of....I'm really looking forward to you playing next and practicing with the team next month...

oldalum 3 years ago

According to the article, the coaches weren't on his butt because he didn't tell anyone it happened.

supersonicf111 3 years ago

Well, let's see. How about Coach didn't know about it!!! He's on his butt now!

brooksmd 3 years ago

“He also did not let anyone know that he had been cited and had a court appearance because, certainly, we would have made sure he was there." --- HCBS

Ron Franklin 3 years ago

He's a Kid too, as we all have been. If getting caught with a red bull & vodka was my worst failure while on this planet I'd be pretty happy. Ya...and once upon a time, I missed a court date on accident too when I was 18.

Let's see how he responds and rebounds before we castigate the kiddo.

KansasComet 3 years ago

Good post..those teenage years, gotta love em!

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Roughly 35-40% of my friends the first couple of years got hit with an MIP at some point... somehow I was lucky enough to avoid ABC, still not sure how that happened.

However, of those friends, EVERY one of them made their court date.

That was the stupid part.

Matt Kenton 3 years ago

I agree with you, but were any of your friends going to KU to play basketball and then have their first year of playing said basketball game unexpectedly taken from them? I can't imagine the level of frustration and discouragement going on with a kid in that kind of situation. Isn't there some kind of saying about walking a mile in another man's shoes?

I'm giving Ben a pass on this one and assuming it will be taken care of. I got an MIP in college, did go to my court date, but for every person that was present there had to be five other names called with no response.

Mike Kendall 3 years ago

That's just wonderful! (sarcasm) Nice! (sarcasm)

Good grief, just when I thought all the negative news was going to cease for awhile. Wasting away in (no, not Margaritaville---Larryville!). Unbelievable. Please Ben--make good on a second chance, if you get one.

AaronHawk19 3 years ago

If you get one? Dude, its an MIP. He was stupid not to show up, but it is not going to get him kicked off a team...

travisthein 3 years ago

Agreed. Everyone in college drinks. It sucks he got caught. The MIP isn't the big deal, it was just dumb he didn't go to his court date and got arrested.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Andrew Moore 3 years ago

Well. Learn from this. Grow from this. This really isn't as bad as the Morningstar DUI or even the Bergland assault. There are worse things. At least its not pot.

IgnorantYokel 3 years ago

You'd think the athletic department would have a designated tell-me-when-you-get-a-notice-to-appear-in-court person to make sure this didn't happen. At least a policy to tell a coach. Sheesh.

In any event, don't be too hard on BMac. Kid's an absolute STUD. Can't wait to see him next year. :)

Alex Berger 3 years ago

What kind of underage student drinks alcohol in college... this is ground-breaking.

Nick Cole 3 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it! What is this world coming to?

tical523 3 years ago

You must not realize the disappointing part is not showing for court. Do you realize that?

Rock_Chalk_NYC 3 years ago

No excuse for the no-show.

The drinking age law is also completely ridiculous. 18 to serve, 18 to be served!

Nonetheless, he got caught. Show up, pay the fine, take your punishment.

RockCaCO3 3 years ago

+1 gazillion on the drinking age law. The govt will let you get shot at in Iraq, but "hell no" on having a drink.

Mike Bratisax 3 years ago

They let 18 year olds drink in Iraq

Cody Stumma 3 years ago

Don't play the age card. You can drink when you're 18 legally, you just have to also be serving in the military.

So yes, in a way, you're serving your military, thus you have the privilege to drink during your time of duty.

Ryan Michael 3 years ago

You can't drink legally at 18 in the military... Drinking age is 21 in the military as well.

supersonicf111 3 years ago

Ryan_32

The drinking age in the Military is based on the country you are based in. I was in the Air Force based in the UK at 19, and could drink legally on base or off!

Alohahawk 3 years ago

Back in the day, when I attended KU, the drinking age was 18 years old (for 3.2 beer). I had empty beer cans stacked floor to ceiling, covering my entire living room window at Jayhawk Towers. If someone opened the front door too fast, the stack would collapse, making an awful racket you could hear throughout the floor. I wasn't flaunting the fact that I drank, it was just an outward display of "being cool".

When I turned 21 years old, I went with some friends across the state line to Missouri (Uch), where you could buy mixed drinks. My senior year, I made a weekly jaunt to The Mad Hatter, where you could buy a setup and they would pour mixed drinks from the liquor bottles you brought in from outside the bar.

Now, at age 60, I rarely drink anything alcoholic. I haven't had an alcoholic drink for over six months. Perhaps, if KU makes it to the Final Four, I'll celebrate with one.

It may sound like I'm condoning underage drinking. I'm not. It's just that I doubt there were a dozen students, freshmen to seniors, underage or legal, whom I associated with at KU that hadn't consumed alcohol within the previous week, not necessarily to get drunk, but to socialize. Plain and simple, college students drink alcohol. And anyone that thinks our team members don't consume alcohol is living in a cocoon.

Thing is, we hold KU's players accountable for their actions on and off the field/courts. I don't condone Ben Mc.'s underage drinking. I'm just not willing to point fingers, when I remember my own college days. However, his not manning up, informing HCBS of his wrong-doing, and then, not appearing in court are disappointing to the extreme. That is the most disturbing thing about this whole thing. No matter how old a person is, and no matter how a individual tries to skirt the issue, he/she can't ignore the law.

I hope Ben has learned an important lesson from this. And that those few on this board who are pointing fingers can admit to their own (alcoholic) experiences, be they good, bad or unforgivable, while a student at KU.

Carter Patterson 3 years ago

Are the courts in Lawrence full of KSU graduates? Is it at all possible that they quietly let somebody know in the AD when court dates are so that they can be handled?

justajoe 3 years ago

Yes indeed, that's exactly what's needed, a quiet "let's do what we can to help out the Jayhawks" arrangement between the athletic department and the local courthouse. That would surely do wonders to help us overcome all the negative national publicity over the past few years, particularly since it's not even remotely possible that anyone would ever spill the preferential beans if they found out about it.

But wait a minute...this just in from the formerly Happy Valley..."We don't recommend it."

squawkhawk 3 years ago

It's Zenger's fault. He's a KSU grad and is a mole who has infiltrated the KU AD to ensure its demise. The hiring of Weis is a prime example.

GOB 3 years ago

I hope this is sarcasm. You know how it could be handled? He should be responsible for himself and show up for a court date.

Carter Patterson 3 years ago

I'm not saying that they should skirt their responsibilities....but if you don't think that ADs take care of their own, you have blinders on.

justajoe 3 years ago

Please reread what you first wrote before accusing someone else of wearing blinders. I didn't say that "ADs" shouldn't "take care of their own." What I am emphatically saying is that the no one in "the courts" (as you put it) should so much as lift a finger to assist ADs in taking care of their own. You wrote asking whether "it is at all possible" whether "the courts" could "quietly let somebody know in the AD when court dates are so that they can be handled?" There's no ambiguity in what you've written. You're clearly advocating that someone in the judicial system extend a helping hand to wayward KU jocks (or those charged with overseeing wayward KU jocks) that they don't extend to non-athletes at KU, or anyone else for that matter. For what it's worth, what you're advocating just happens to be improper, unethical, and quite possibly illegal.

Talk about pouring gasoline on a fire. Have you given the slightest thought to what the national media would do with a story like that? Read some of the articles about Penn State and Syracuse if you're still confused about the potential ramifications when there's even the slightest suggestion of coziness between an athletic department, the police and/or "the courts."

actorman 3 years ago

That was supposed to be all caps, BTW. Of course I knew that the LJW Nazis (and yes, that's extreme, I realize) would never deign to let the caps through.

Gregor Southard 3 years ago

Actorman, LJW is just trying to keep you from embarrassing yourself. Why would you like to come off as a jilted high school girl?

master16 3 years ago

giddens stabbing, brady's DUI, sherron's elevator situation, the morris twins shooting people with bb guns, and the countless taylor suspensions... and now this. when will it stop??

master16 3 years ago

i'm 23, just got out of school. i attended Rutgers University.. you know.. guido nation / party central. and yeah, these guys are college kids, and i just got out of this phase. you don't have to be 30 years old to understand that you don't shoot people with a bb gun, or fail to show up to a court date. my point is, the KU basketball team is making headlines on espn all the time, and often for the wrong reason. let's not forget that infamous fight between bball and football players a couple of summers ago.

yeah, we hate coach k and roy williams, but they are disciplinarians and rarely do you see their guys getting into trouble like this.

i'll stop acting like the sky is falling when people stop pretending like an 18-22 year old shouldn't know better.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years ago

When college basketball isn't played by 18-22 year olds.

Oh wait.

supersonicf111 3 years ago

Last time I looked, 99.9% of 18 to 25 years olds aren't rocket scientist, or imune to making stupid choices. What's your excuse for posting a lame comment like that Master16??

master16 3 years ago

yea because 18 to 25 year olds is too young to understand the fact that when you have a court date you have to show up. or to understand that you don't try to moon a woman in an elevator. or that you don't shoot someone with a bb gun. i'm not talking about making mistakes, idiots. i'm talking the mistakes that they are making. like i said in my response above, i'm 23 years old just out of college. i know what its like to be in college and have a little fun. but don't be stupid.

Vernon Riggs 3 years ago

Bootlegging Old Grand-Dad with Kentucky stamps out of my dorm room, setting fireworks off in the elevator at JRP, stealing a pizza hotbox full of pizza from Pizza Hut, turning over a Datsun (it was the 80's) in Aggieville, getting knocked down by a water canon (same night) by Riley County PD, earning a 1.0 gradepoint average my first semester (retook every class) that was my freshman year. Thank God there was no internet to show how stupid I was at 18-years. MIP seems pretty minor.

Dr_Roach 3 years ago

You SOB...I got fired due to those stolen pizza's!!!!!

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

Nope. These are basketball players, really good ones, not scholars. We'll have one of these hiccups every year. Brady's DUI and perhaps Sherron rubbing up against some lady are in a whole other league than these other silly ones.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years ago

well at least it happened now...and i mean now as, he won't affect the play on the court.

it's a great lesson to learn...and you know HCBS will make him pay dearly in practice. just a dumb thing to do.....the drinking, yes, but failure to appear in court was worse..and not telling your coaches was double worse.

we'll see how he does in the 2nd semester...when he's actually expected to be a part of the team in practice. if he can't make it through that, then he'll be gone....we wouldn't be able to trust him.

You've got another shot at this Ben...don't blow it. Rock Chalk.

martyks 3 years ago

It was a well kept secret that Giddens was involved in a bar fight downtown. During the melee, someone's gun fell to the floor. Giddens picked it up and took 6 shots from 20 feet away into the crowd. Everyone was lucky it was Giddens doing the shooting. He didn't hit anyone or anything. (yes, bad joke... and very old)

hbjayhawk 3 years ago

At least Ben is going to class. My 6 News spotters tell me he can be seen walking around Wescoe beach with Overland Park's finest on Wednesdays . . .

martyks 3 years ago

When Bill Self says, "it will be handled internally." he usually means steps. I have witnessed a player running up every step in Allen Fieldhouse, making his way around the entire arena... then, as soon as he was done, he was thrown into full court scrimmage. Ouch! Good luck, Ben. What doesn't kill you, makes your legs hurt like the blazes.

StreetSampras 3 years ago

This is multiple things... What people are forgetting are that these are college athletes who are experiencing the college life as they should. Granted not going to court is quite ridiculous, MIP's are given at a very high rate in almost every state. I live in Nebraska and myself have had problems with underage drinking laws. Either way it's easy for most of you guys to judge.... This type of thing happens. Not going to court on the other hand is very stupid lol.

Hurinfan 3 years ago

I was afraid of his conduct when we recruited him. This isn't giving me any confidence.

KansasComet 3 years ago

Somebody either sold it to him or gave it to him. It wasn't moonshine, so I doubt he made it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years ago

He should have been more responsible about his court date, but the fact that a full grown man can get in trouble for drinking in this country is ridiculous.

BainDread 3 years ago

"The officer alleged that McLemore was found with a Red Bull and vodka..."

Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence? Maybe somebody slipped the vodka in his Red Bull when he wasn't looking. Looks like Ben has been tried and found guilty of the original violation in the Jayhawk Fandom Court of Law. And yes, perhaps I have been reading too many John Grisham novels.

flyingfinn 3 years ago

Whether or not we believe 18 should be the legal drinking age its a moot point, its not. Whether most of us drank in college and some got caught and others did not is a moot point, it is still the law. The point here is this young man got caught and part of growing up is accepting responsibility and when you do get caught you appear for your court date and you advise the coaching staff immediately for help and advise. Will you be punished yes, but probably less so than not reporting it.

KU_alum_2001 3 years ago

Where's Mr. Miyagi when you need him? "Ben-san, you stay focus!"

Sighhhhh....

manginodrh00lz 3 years ago

You're going to need that Red Bull after practice. Wind sprints Ben...wind sprints.

Soccermonkey06 3 years ago

Drinking in college? The world must be coming to an end.

chicagojayhawk87 3 years ago

I really don't think this is that big of a deal. He made an immature and stupid mistake by missing court, but in the end he will definitely learn from the mistake and hopefully won't be drinking next year when he's actually playing. The real question to me is how did the word of his citation not make it to the coaching staff?

Also I love how this makes front page on ESPN college bball but if this were some Appalachian State player it wouldnt even be an issue. People love to hate on KU.

hailtoku 3 years ago

You would think that there would be enough people around him (i.e. coaches, players, tutors, trainers, etc) that there would be no way he misses something this important.

James Kiernan 3 years ago

They would have...if he had told them about it.

Prece1 3 years ago

Judging by the reaction to this, I'm grateful that I wasn't under a giant microscope when I was 18. I'm surprised stuff like this doesn't happen more often with college athletes. We all know the high percentage of college kids that drink, most of them underage. When they do it, it's normal college behavior. When an athlete does it he's an idiotic immature thug. Many people hold these guys to higher standards than they do themselves. Stop putting college basketball players on such a pedestal. They're overgrown kids who put a ball through a hoop. Honestly the worst thing about this was missing court, that's where he's helping everyone make a mountain out of nothing.

tical523 3 years ago

Did he think that if he did not show up coach wouldn't know? Must have, because he HAS to know coach would be Real pissed if he got a mip and not show to court. LOL C'mon Man!!

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

All kidding aside...he did get kicked out of a prep school for some unrevealed violation, but he really is a good kid from everything we have seen during his time in St.Louis and he fought virtually his entire family and group of friends to come to Kansas and he is a hellava ball player as well.

I'm sure I never did anything like this during my time at Kansas. Of course, I was there in the sixties.

You know what they say, " If you can remember the sixties.....you weren't there!!!!"

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

In the sixties, there probably were not as many cops around to catch you! He'll pay for it and going forward, I hope that he respects court dates.

Shawn Marshbanks 3 years ago

I'm not happy with Ben to hear about about this but at the same time I know what it was like when I was 18 and 19. Although being an athlete you would think you wouldn't put yourself into harms way. Hope he has learn his lesson and I do like how Self remains to keep such a good composer. I'm sure Ben is't gonna like what Bill's course of action to this.

Shawn Marshbanks 3 years ago

Jeffery Barrett 3 years ago

What the F*** is wrong with these stupid kids?

supersonicf111 3 years ago

The last word of your sentence answers your question. I'm sure you were a complete genius when you were his age right???

Jeffery Barrett 3 years ago

I didn't have a scholarship to play at the University of Kansas!

waywardJay 3 years ago

You would have thought he would have flushed a bunch of Marijuana down the toilet at and NBA Rookie Symposium or Had Numerous parking tickets that he never paid, or Shoot a girl in the Butt with a bb gun.....

Oh Jayhawk fans, Are we really sooooo hypocritical that we are going to throw a kid under the bus for things most of us do significantly worse than On a day to day basis....

James Kiernan 3 years ago

You skipping out on court dates on a day to day basis?

waywardJay 3 years ago

You telling me you haven't ever don something stupid and Illegal ?

hailtoku 3 years ago

I don't one guy arrested for missing a court date for a MIP. Who do you hang out with?

oldalum 3 years ago

Probably blowing off steam because he's frustrated to not be playing basketball and because his finals were over. Bill said in the article that he would start practice once his grades were in, which I assume will be next week sometime. I don't envy him that first practice.

jayhawkinATL 3 years ago

Pure ignorance and laziness!!!!! Way to go, Benjamin!!!

djhawk75 3 years ago

Here we go again. Same story repeated over and over, but still, some kid has to let it happen to him before he learns the lesson. This better not be an indication of what's coming next year.

djhawk75 3 years ago

SaltyJayhawk 3 years ago

You guys are missing the biggest problem in this situation.. he was at Abe and Jake's... that most likely means he's a creeper.

Vernon Riggs 3 years ago

You must be kidding? For MIP? Take a deep breath and try to remember how stupid you were at 18-years old. I admit that I was extremely stupid at 18-years old. Anyone outside the age of 29 is just lucky there were no blogs where all of the 'smart' people could log in and make comments on how stupid we were. F**king lucky! Find peace and give this kid a break.

REHawk 3 years ago

Ben, ya gotta act more responsibly. This Kansas hoops scholarship could be worth millions to you in the near future. The possession charge was one count; missing the court date is another. You really should not get yourself into a 3rd bind anytime soon. That said, good luck with your workouts with the Hawks. Stay busily focused and intent on helping the squad advance to the Final Four next season. Unless you blow the opportunity, you should become an essential ingredient and noteworthy performer.

Jack Wilson 3 years ago

Snoozer .. who cares? No recruit is going to say, "Hmmm .. McLemore got caught with alcohol, better not go to KU." Perhaps getting caught now will discourage this stuff when he actually is being counted on.

Not preferred, but really no big deal.

He didn't hurt anyone, he wasn't driving. Not being an apologist here, but this mistake is a minor one.

Clarkeee22 3 years ago

Seriously guys. Calm. Down. That's all

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

Well, he didn't get the much coveted "partial qualifier" moniker by being an Einstein. I do wish someday we'll get a heady point guard like Jaque Vaughn or Aaron Miles. These blank checks can be frustrating.

Jack Wilson 3 years ago

Notwithstanding that McLemore isn't a point guard ... but who's counting?

tical523 3 years ago

Are you serious? No way right?

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

What have you got against KU? Or for that matter, against young kids? Does your mommy chaperon you everywhere you go? Spit the tit, lowlife.

Alohahawk 3 years ago

HCBS has enough smarts to realize when someone makes a youthful mistake, be it stupid or otherwise. Self has proven numerous times that he can equate to most things and knows when he should put his foot down, or if he needs to take his foot off the brake and coast along, because just about every person, be they regular student or athlete, deserves a second chance.

Just as the posters on this board realize when another poster, be they fan or troll, spouts drivel each time he/she enters a post.

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

That might be a little harsh for this first offense, but there is nothing wrong with holding our players to high standards. Brady kind of was a dud. He got a DUI during Self's Boot Camp and showed poor sportsmanship on the court, particularly in that ugly Richmond game last year. If he had been a leader with more class maybe we could have gotten to the next level.

IdahoJHawk 3 years ago

Hope that was sarcasm. Otherwise you are painfully stupid.

Bob Forer 3 years ago

As much money as we spend on support staff for the athletes you would think there is some flunkie in the athletic department who could take on the job of making sure athletes appear as scheduled for court. Ben wasn't the first athlete to be cited to appear, and he certainly won't be the last.

A while back they ran an article on the AD staff who checked up on athletes to make sure they were attending class. isn't appearing in court just as important as attending class?

In the last few years there have been a handful of athletes who failed to appear in court. Its getting kinda old, and I think our Athletic Director needs to step to ensure these minor embarrassments don't happen again.

BainDread 3 years ago

The article does quote a statement from Coach Self saying Ben didn't tell anybody he had been cited for the alleged violation or that he had a court date, and that the program would have made sure he appeared had they know. Not saying your suggestion is bad; just that it probably wouldn't have changed the outcome under these circumstances.

Bob Forer 3 years ago

JacquesMerde 3 years ago

The drinking part is baloney. I was a PFC at Fort Bliss, Texas, when 18 and boozed whenever possible. I couldn't vote but I could drink since I was not in Kansas or the USA very often. Not taking care of the citation he was given was stupid, but then many 18 year olds aren't very wise to the world. Apparently the Lawrence, Douglas County, or Kansas law enforcement officials enjoy catching KU players in the wrong. Or do they just enjoy catching young kids?

jaybate 3 years ago

BenMac,

Andrew White is coming.

You better correct this, or you will be gone.

Vernon Riggs 3 years ago

jaybate 3 years ago

A very good way of putting all of it.

Kc Ticketguy 3 years ago

I just don't understand this. I have been in Lawrence Municipal dozens of times and they are very easy to work with... This just amazes me. I mean come on people just call a lawyer and get stuff like this taken care of before it ends up in the newspaper and on espn.

jchief40 3 years ago

gasp drink alcohol like so many other college kids? While disappointing and embarrassing to himself, university, and fans I don't consider the behavior shocking by any means.

Drugs are bad mkay.

jayhawkaloogie 3 years ago

Let's hope his decision to skip court is no indication of his decision making on the court that counts. As we've seen from Taylor, stupid off the court sometimes translates to stupid on the court.

CaramelMacchMan 3 years ago

Sooner than later! Get it fixed bra!

calijayhawker 3 years ago

You become ineligible and now this. Come on Ben! You haven't even stepped onto the court and already your screwing up.

Jayhawk_4_Life 3 years ago

It's a damn MIP...75% of college kids either have gotten one or know someone who has gotten one...stop blowing this out of proportion..keep your head up Ben!

danno1313 3 years ago

Stay out of clubs, go to bed!!!

Jared Grillot 3 years ago

Hmmm... MIP is a ticket. Failure to appear because I didn't want anyone to know I got a ticket is an arrest warrant, jail, bail, and STILL have to go back to court. Underage drinking? Kinda dumb. Getting a nice ride in the black and white, the mugshot, and the wonderful press just because you didn't want anyone to know you got a ticket? Really freakin' dumb. Now, instead of diversion-and-done, it's a big deal. Compounding dumb with extra dumb.

grrttweaver 3 years ago

at least it wasn't some girly drink.

studio 3 years ago

Funny how the sinless love to talk about "dumb" on this board. Activity generally doubles with pontificators who have never made a (public) mistake. Ben, you can stick this dragon lick from adoring fans in that mental file of "Avoiding/Tolerating Public Overreaction". Stay the course and remember, Little Brother Jayhawk.

HawkKlaw 3 years ago

Noooooo! So stupid.

That said, he's a yougin'. These things happen.

Justin Carlson 3 years ago

I don't by the "This is what 18 year old college kids do card" bull $hit ! You are at the University of Kansas the mecca of college basketball, and one of the top recruits in the nation.

You bet your arse you are held to a higher standard than any other average "18 year old college student!" Your education is free! You room, meals, and life is paid for!! You get to play in front of 16,300 every home game 90% of the games are on nationally TV.

When will these spoiled ass college kids stop taking for granted the gifts God gave them!

I was a 3 year starter at a KCAC college football school and did not do anything that would jeapordize my scholly, my relationship with my coach, my parents or my teammates.

Players these days have taking everything they are given for granted and it drives me insane!!

I for one would love to go a whole seaon with reading headline on ESPN "Another KU incident!"

Grow up and be a man! Appreciate the gifts you have been given and never take them for granted!

tom123kufan 3 years ago

I hope him getting caught with this at an early stage in his career will straighten him up. Lesson learned..hopefully..

Kc Ticketguy 3 years ago

To everyone saying this is no big deal...

This is why it is a big deal for this kid.

Kansas can be pretty tough on underage drinking.

Lance Hobson 3 years ago

Ben, be good. Do your homework. Call your mom. Go to bed.

TexasHawk44 3 years ago

This isn't a great sign. The citation is one thing but not showing up is not real bright. Hope he likes the inside view of the doghouse Self is going to be pretty pissed with this one.