Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Former KU guard Collins to play pro ball in Turkey

Basketball notes. ...

Former Kansas University point guard Sherron Collins will play professional basketball for Turkish League team Hacettepe Universitesi during the 2011-12 season, Eurobasket.com reported this week.

The 5-foot-11 Chicago native reportedly reached an agreement on a one-year deal.

Collins, 24, who was not selected in the 2010 NBA Draft, opened last season with the NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats. He also played for the NBADL’s Maine Red Claws, Lithuanian pro team Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius and Puerto Rican team Quebradillas Pirates. He reportedly was cut by the Puerto Rican team after reporting out of shape.

Tarczewski waiting for now: Kaleb Tarczewski, a 7-foot senior from St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass., is expected to announce for KU, Arizona or North Carolina by the start of school on Sept. 9. He’s Rivals.com’s No. 12-rated player nationally.

“I really don’t think anything’s changed from earlier this summer,” New England Playaz AAU coach John Carroll told the Arizona Daily Star. “His plan was to play in July, go to Adidas Nations, then go home, decompress, and enjoy being a kid. Then start thinking about his decision in the later part of August.”

Muhammad to visit: The country’s No. 1 prospect, Shabazz Muhammad, on Tuesday told jayhawkslant.com he “will visit Kansas” at some point this school year.

Muhammad, a 6-6 senior wing from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, is considering KU, Arizona, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNLV and Texas.

Comments

KULA 3 years, 1 month ago

Good for you Sherron! Make some money playing basketball!

Andrew Dunlap 3 years, 1 month ago

if he can stay off the fried chicken and soft drinks! Turkish food is quite healthy!

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 1 month ago

Sherron has a long history of not making the tough decisions to prolong his career. Can he do it this time?

LAJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Sherron, get to the airport early.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 1 month ago

haha for real.... Though I can't blame him for wanting to avoid O'Hare/Midway airports at all costs...

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

Leave it to Sherron to go to a country named after food!

eastTXjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

yaawwnnn....that made me sleepy just thinking about it.

waywardJay 3 years, 1 month ago

+1.

Let's hope the thought police have enough of a sense of humor to make such a blasphemous comment !

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 3 years, 1 month ago

I laugh, but inside I'm sad 'cause Sherron could offer a lot to a team if he could get in and stay in shape.

Sherron, if you're reading this, I'm pulling for you man . . . everybody has a battle to win, and even though yours is really tough you can do it! You've done it before and you do have what it takes to stay great now! This fan still believes in you!(-:

Rock Chalk!

TraditionRich 3 years, 1 month ago

Shabazz visit: mark this one down, big time! Can't wait for Shabazz to take in Allen Fieldhouse firsthand... we all know there is nowhere else in America that resembles this atmosphere... I am thinking the Ohio State game would serve nicely.

waywardJay 3 years, 1 month ago

The problem is.... If memory serves he's eliminated us from his list of suitors...... unless that was Mis-information...

Dan Cook 3 years, 1 month ago

Not eliminated, but reportedly not towards the top of the list either. Lots of talk this summer about how UCLA leads, which I don't really understand. Ben Howland is unappealing to me. I would doubt we've given up hope just yet, however. If we can get a visit, anything could happen. I think one of his AAU teammates, Winston Sheppard, is still a possible KU target, too.

rwhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

We all know he's 5-11, what we really want to know is his weight, "The 248 pound Chicago native reportedly..."

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

An undersized linebacker? Power Speed Quickness Footwork Maybe I should lay off the hooch.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Question: How bad can a coach be who cheats and his teams are still lousy?

Just ask Missouri's BBall Coach Heath who has come under NCAA investigation for his tenure at Miami!!

Nothing better than being a Missouri native who is a Jayhawk!!! :) :) :)

It's kind of like having an air-conditioned, luxury condo with angelic room service in the middle of Hell!!!

hawksince51 3 years, 1 month ago

I always figured Sherron's best chance at being paid to play was Europe--or is that part of Turkey in Asia? I hope he learned from his Puerto Rican experience that he needs to take his profession seriously and stay in shape. At under 6 ft., he needs to be quick to make the team. Too bad he won't get to Turkey until near the end of Ramadan.

hawksince51 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for clearing that up. Never made it past Greece.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

+1 for paying attention during geography!

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 3 years, 1 month ago

"Istanbul was Constantinople Now it's Istanbul not Constantinople . . ."

not a song you want to get stuck in your head!(-:

KUFan90 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks...you just did get that song stuck in my head. They might be giants rule.

Istanbul is also the only city in the world that straddles 2 continents.

HawksWin 3 years, 1 month ago

Istanbul, once the capital of the Ottoman Empire (1299-1923) inspired & sustained by Islam. It sought to destroy Christians & took them as slaves to expand throughout Asia & Africa. The Ottoman Empire with its mighty navy power tried to penetrate Western Europe, but failed because of Rome. The Ottoman Empire began to decline following the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

I will personally kick Sherron's butt if he doesn't visit The Hagia Sophia, one of the most beautiful buildings not only in Istanbul but in the entire world.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Does the hagia have a Mickey Ds yet?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

If it does, then just shoot me!!

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

My confidence in landing Tarc has declined considerably. Maybe this is a good thing. It's still 50/50 for the most part, but I'm still getting an uneasy feeling he may head West to Zona. This is why I hate having a hobby in the recruiting world of college basketball.

In regards to Shabazz, I can't even get caught up in his recruitment. He has so many options the likelyhood of him choosing Kansas is like less than 10 percent.

Note: I'm hoping this half empty type of attitude will draw in these recruits. My optimisum in the recent past has not proved successful.

Rob Bedford III 3 years, 1 month ago

I think next years incoming class will include Willie Cauley, Zach Peters, Nino Jackson, and a one star recruit that is not on any of the recruiting boards.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 1 month ago

Zach may very well be that one star. Hope I am wrong and regret this post.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

If you had to pick one, which one would pick, Perry or Kaleb and why??

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Kaleb...not close.

Centers are increasingly rare, so they create massif mua's.

It's the difference between owning the Fed, or just one of it's oilcos. You try to own both, but if you have to choose...

Kaleb is a central bank who gets to print his own mua currency.

Perry is a big oilco, but just one of many with block oil refining capacity.

Sorry, Perry, there will always be another oil field, or biodiesel technology replacement at power forward.

There is only one central bank, owned by four families, that own all the supposedly separate central banks.

Monopolize center currency and I care not who else is on the blocks. Just give me some great perimeter shooters and defenders.

But there can only be one central bank at a time. Wars are fought to assure that.

Next.

bennybob 3 years, 1 month ago

Somebody needs to put down the NWO conspiracy books. lol

But i agree an elite center > a great power forward

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Bennybob,

Haven't you heard?

There are no more conspiracy theories, because they all came true with the super congress.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Gotta hope that Sherron's mental wiring has connected with reality. A tremendous talent buried beneath blubber. I am patiently waiting to read good things about his game. He offered the Jayhawk Nation some playing months of absolute gold, though at times he punished himself by showing up overweight. If he had maintained topnotch conditioning he might well have been drafted in the top 40, even at 5'11". I wish him the best.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Sherronatron, if u r seeing, be good in Turkey. Their prisons are the worst. T.E. Lawrence found out the hard way. Don't u.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 1 month ago

And stay away from the Midnight Express .. I hear bad things happen on that train.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Poor Brad Davis. My gen's James Dean cut down by a little too much method acting in the wrong places. But so definitive in Phil Caputo's brilliant "A Rumour of War." And he survived that train!

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Turkey for you, Turkey for me, let's eat Turkey in a big brown shoe......Turkey, Turkey, Turkey.....nice and juicy!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

A rare Adam Sandler reference...nice....Adam Sandler, the master of almost funny movies {except Happy Gilmore, of course...a true classic!!]

jhox 3 years, 1 month ago

Is Shabazz just playing us for a free trip? Am I dreaming, or did he not even mention us on one of his recent lists of schools.

I'm hoping we land Kaleb instead of Roy. I doubt Zona is seriously int he mix of him. We need talented big men in a bad way.

kushaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Zona is definitely in the mix! UNC is on the outside looking in. It's between Zona and KU.

Dan Cook 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes, it is. Hopefully Gabe York doesn't have the type of influence over Kaleb he claims to have.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Im glad to hear that Sherron will be playing in Turkey. There he will be the next great star. Many KU greats have been very successful overseas. Such as Keith Langford and Sasha Kaun. Jacob Pullen of KSU could also play overseas and he and Sherron would be ledgends of that league (I have no idea what it is called.)

finally4hawks 3 years, 1 month ago

T. Reed in going to play in Belgium ???? What team?? Where is the home court. What league? What salary?? Another Hawk in the Pros !!!

Keith Kienzle 3 years, 1 month ago

hmm that URL looks like it got jacked up when I piasted it. Here's the original article in Dutch(?)

WilburNether 3 years, 1 month ago

It's time for the mindless fanbois who idolized Collins to admit that they were totally wrong about him being an NBA-caliber player, and to apologize for the nasty comments directed toward the realists who assess talent objectively, not in the mindless fanboi style, and who said Collins would not make it in the NBA.

The realists were right, the Collins-idolizing fanbois were wrong. Deal with it.