Tuesday, April 26, 2011

GWU eyeing aide Joe Dooley?

Kansas assistant coach Joe Dooley looks to pump up Morris twins, Marcus, center, and Markieff during the second half Sunday March 22, 2009 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

The Washington Post lists Kansas University assistant basketball coach Joe Dooley as a possible candidate for the head-coaching vacancy at George Washington University.

Dooley is a former GWU player and 1988 graduate of the Washington, D.C., school. Others listed by the Post: Vermont head coach Mike Lonergan, who was raised in D.C., and worked both as an assistant at Maryland and head coach at Catholic University where he won a Div. III national title in 2001; American coach Jeff Jones; and University of Washington assistant Raphael Chillious, also from the D.C. area.

KU assistant coaches have a policy of not commenting about possible job openings.

Reed to be honored

KU senior guard Tyrel Reed will be recognized at 2 p.m., Wednesday on the Kansas Senate floor at the State Capitol Building in Topeka for his academic and athletic achievements at KU.

Senator Jeff King, who serves Kansas’ 15th District, which includes Reed’s hometown of Burlington, will introduce Reed. Reed finished his career as the winningest player in a four-year period at KU with a 132-17 record. He was named first-team academic All-America, Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award All-America first team and was one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS national award. He was an academic all-Big 12 pick for three seasons.

Recruiting

Gabe York, a 6-foot-2 junior shooting guard from Lutheran High in Orange, Calif., tells Rivals.com he plans to make an unofficial visit to KU this weekend. He’ll be competing for the Compton Magic at the Jayhawk Invitational, Friday through Sunday at Haskell’s Coffin Complex and other gyms around town. More information on the tournament will be available later this week. York has received scholarship offers from KU, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Connecticut, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oregon State, USC, Washington and Washington State. He’s also heard from UCLA, Cal, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Stanford. Another KU target, Nino Jackson, a 6-2 junior from Ardmore, Okla., also plays for Compton Magic.

Comments

DSommersby 10 years, 9 months ago

I selfishly hope KU can keep Coach Dooley on our staff a while longer. He is a great coach and is a good dude to have helping lead our guys. Love his laser like focus.

There is a great story in Coach Self's book where he recounted that just a couple hours following the title game in 2008 Dooley tells Self he is thinking about how they need to prepare and get ready to try and go out and win another title. We still need another one or six from this great staff! Hope the best for Dooley, but would love to see him stay at KU. I think he can hold off for a bigger school down the road. No offense to George Washington. Rock Chalk!

Jayhawklegacy 10 years, 9 months ago

Hard thing about a great coaching staff. Do great things for your team and university and while doing that open up other opportunities for their personal goals. If Dooley decides to leave it will be in his best interests and i wish him the best of luck. I feel like Manning and Dooley would be great head coaches, but I'm selfish aslo and wish they would stay here until retirement lol!!!!

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 9 months ago

Man...Gabe York haa some list of suitors...let me know when he widdles it down some to say his top 5!

Daniels or Traylor sign with KU yet? ;)

John Randall 10 years, 9 months ago

No, not yet. One is sitting on the porch steps whittling and the other is widdling in the flower bed.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 9 months ago

Coach Dooley would make a great head coach. would hate to see him go though. Off subject, did anyone see Darrell Arthur last night. He was a beast.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 9 months ago

Yep. Pretty much what I posted under the Hawks in the NBA thread last night. It had the announcers talking about his performance against Memphis in the '08 title game.

brooksmd 10 years, 9 months ago

And you thought you would post this because?

Alec White 10 years, 9 months ago

Only makes him a better coach and person in my opinion. Nick Fazekas was/is a complete tool and I'm glad someone called him out on it.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 9 months ago

Well if Coach Dooley says "#$ you Fazekas", then i say &@ Fazekas too.

Jacobpaul81 10 years, 9 months ago

Dooley has turned down jobs before. He may stick with Self. He's gotta be among the highest paid assistant coaches in the country.

Norm Roberts just hired on at Florida but that doesn't mean he wouldn't change his mind if a spot was open on the KU bench. He was a very successful recruiter at Kansas and built the St. Johns team that Steve Lavin coached this season. He'd be a good grab if Dooley were to accept the job.

Sean Sutton isn't coaching and would be an excellent person to bring in. He knows the offense as well as anyone and he's a great Juco recruiter when he isn't trying to run a program.

Then there's coach Brown who everyone knows both loves Lawrence and would love to coach again. It's doubtful he'd take an assistant job... unless it was under Bill or John.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Dooley needs to take this job for himself and his family. I know selfishly people want to keep Dooley because of his recruiting tenacity, but it's time for Dooley try his hand at being a head coach and no better place than your alma mater.

Dooley has so many recruiting ties (St. Benedicts High School and all the New Jersey schools)) to the East Coast that I really think this would be a slam dunk for him and GW. Yes, it's going to take some time, but if the administration, president, and athletic director give Dooley the time he needs.........I could see him turning GW into an Atlantic 10 power.

Also, as much as I would love to keep Dooley, I think Self and KU need a new, young, fresh, and ultra aggressive coach that takes the recruiting world by storm. Nothing like a young coach trying to prove themselves. They will do almost anything to make a name for themselves.

Worst case scenario is that Dooley takes the GW job, doesn't get it done and he becomes a "Lifer" back on KU's bench much like Steve Robinson does for Roy Williams.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Even if Dooley takes the GW job, KU doesn't have to go very far to find a replacement if needed. Maybe in recruiting it would be a notch down from Dooley, but from a coaching standpoint (Which KU has struggled with recently in Big time NCAA games) Barry Hinson would be an excellent choice IMO. Plus, that would get somebody young like Case, Lee, or somebody other young future coach in to take over the operation duties.

John Randall 10 years, 9 months ago

"" Nothing like a young coach trying to prove themselves. They will do almost anything to make a name for themselves.""

Are you sure there isn't a better way to say that? I mean, Calliope John will do almost anything he can get someone else to take the blame for . . . and recruiting only top names seems to only get them close.

Ardy Dehdasht 10 years, 9 months ago

I am seriously checking this website 30 times a day to see if there is any updates on the recruiting... Anybody with some insight? I have a serious problem.

justinryman 10 years, 9 months ago

Well you've reached the first step in admitting you have a problem. Now you must embrace it and make it work for you and not against you.

Knowledge is power.

waywardJay 10 years, 9 months ago

Welcome to the Club Ardy, Soon you will have a blog and Jaybate on Speed dial.....

In truth, we are Kansas Fans we all have of insight, the problem isn't Insight with us... It's not knowing a Whit of what Bill Is plotting, pledging, or pulling off.

Again, Welcome to the club.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Simple solution ardy682. This is what I do. I assume we are getting no one else and the roster we have is the roster we will cheer next year.

If HCBS does work his magic and someone else shows up, it will be a bonus. If no one else comes aboard, it will be painless.

Tyshawn, TRob, Elijah, Travis, Jeff, Nadiir, BenMac, the Canook, Wesley and Conner is not exactly a bare cupboard.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 9 months ago

This will probably come across as an incredibly stupid question to most of you -- but exactly what is the best method in trying to obtain KU basketball tix? I'm coming in from out of town and want to get tix to next season's KU/Ohio State Game. Tough ticket, I am sure. I hardly ever come back to KS. and I haven't been to a KU game since 1997 and it now seems more difficult than ever to get KU tix. Is it best to simply show up a few hrs. prior to gametime & try to obtain tix outside AFH? Perhaps if I lie by telling KU fan that I am personal friends with theend, I can get a drink thrown in my face @ tipoff....? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Schell 10 years, 9 months ago

There is a place in oak park mall that's in overland park Kansas called ace sports. They always have the best tickets available for ku basketball games that's where I get my tickets I'm sure there are alot of other ways but just trying to help

bradynsdad 10 years, 9 months ago

This site actually does a good job with tickets. I would check ticketmasters and stubhub, but buy early because by the time the game gets here prices will triple. Mentioning theend might get you shot.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 9 months ago

kansas15ku, bradynsdad, Thanks! IrishDaddy, hilarious!

waywardJay 10 years, 9 months ago

I was hoping we could sneak in on Katenda... I knew it was late in the game... Oh well...